Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
1.63/5  rDev -29.4%

Well corona, what do we have here? Nothing. Onto the review. Looks like super watered down yellow color, looks like piss. The smell is brutal, smells a bit skunky, cardboardy, stale. Taste? Taste? This is non-existant. Goes down like water, and tastes like water, with a hint of beer in the background. Mouthfeel, is also non-existant. Very very thin and watery. Drinkability is high, because its like water. Just a brutal beer, if you wanna get drunk this is decent to use. Avoid, otherwise.

1.26/5  rDev -45.5%

A - poured a pale straw color with a soapy white head that disappeared rather quickly and left no lacing

S - skunk, literally. Like freshly killed, driving past with windows down

T - the taste with no lime is not pleasing. corn and alcohol, great for frat parties, but doesn't please at all

M - watery bodied with lots of carbonation

D - avoid, avoid, and avoid. One more word. AVOID. I guess the addition of limes is what drives the marketing, but wasn't impressed

3.15/5  rDev +36.4%

Well this is what it is. A very drinkable bland beer that is very refreshing with a lime in the summer time. I don't see any point to shitting all over a beer like this like a lot of people seem to do on this site. There's nothing offensive about it at all, and its not as skunky as ppl claim. Don't drink one that's been sitting in the light and it won't be skunked.

2.51/5  rDev +8.7%

New to this taaste reviewing, here it goes!

Firstly may I just say I have a limited knowlege of good beer since I mainly drink big brand European imported and British brewed lager. However I have rated the beer to make up for this, e.g. if I thought a beer was really good I would not go higher than C/B as I am leaving space for A beers!

Corona is normally priced pretty high, you can buy other lager cheaper than this, so I expect good quality.

Appearance: It is a clear yellow / gold type of colour. When poured or drank only a small head is formed which dissapears fairly quickly. In the bottle it looks inviting, and it appears you will be unbottling a tasty beer!

Smell: Sweet smelling. Slight gassy smell, and slight spice smell. Doesn't give off an amazing tasty smell, pretty poor / standard.

Smell: Can taste corn, sweet tasting - but not very sweet. Small hits of almost tasting the alcohol but nothing else, leaves you unimpressed.

Mouthfeel: Light, pretty thin, medium-high carbonisation.

Drinkability: Easily consumed - but it didn't leave as satisfied as I hoped.

Bottom linke - I wouldn't bother, I'd only drink it if offered at a bar or something, I wouldnt go out of my way to drink this

1.78/5  rDev -22.9%

A very pale gold/yellow color,thin head.Aroma of corn,cat feet,and hay,and skunk weed. Flavor is very watery,kind of a skunky band aid taste, thin mouthfeel,funky finish. I could see drink this if you were really loaded allready but I'll pass.Save your money for some real beer eh.

1.78/5  rDev -22.9%

Pours a clear golden yellow color with a very thin white head that fades quickly. Nothing special about the aroma or flavor other than it is refreshing on a hot day. If it is served freezing cold with a slice of lime on a very humid day it can be drinakble, otherwise avoid at all cost.

2.12/5  rDev -8.2%

A real disappointment in many ways this one. A very light bodied Mexican lager. One bottle I had was flat. Often a lemon is added to enhance the flavour which is delicately citrusy.

This always comes in 330ml bottles I find, not a very satisfying beer. Also can be extremely expensive.

2.15/5  rDev -6.9%

This beer is just a whole lot of nothing. It has a pale yellow body without a head. There isn't much taste either, because the beer is so incredibly watery. The only reason why I didn't give this beer anything lower is because it's by no means offensive due to the neutrality of the taste and smell. Extremely carbonated. It goes well on a warm, summer day when there is nothing else to reach for.

2.2/5  rDev -4.8%

A - very light yellow and a weak very white head

S - not much at all; a little sweet malt aroma but not much going on

T - The start is nice and malty but trails off into an almost offensive finish

M - the feel is what you would want from a light beer like this good carbonation

D - it is almost drinkable just a crappy finish doesn't work

1.96/5  rDev -15.2%

Appearance: Pours a clear, appropriately corn-colored, yellow body with a thin, white head.

Smell: Blend of light pale malts and white corn tortilla chips with a very, very minor yeast note.

Taste: Corn and light pale malts with a mild sweetness. Very light hop bitterness. Tiny kick of yeasty sourness. Finishes relatively clean.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Mostly harmless. Eh, it's not a great, classic lager, but I will say I have tasted far, far worse.

1.53/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Is a yellow clear color. With a small amount of carbination.

Smells pretty plain and grainy before I pushed 4 lime wedges in it.

Tastes pretty grainy or almost a ceral taste pre lime.

In the mouth it is pretty watery with a little carbination.

Only drinkable if you cram a bunch of limes in it! Otherwise Pass!

1.93/5  rDev -16.5%

Not a great beer and absolutely overpriced, but it still hits the spot once in a while. Grainy aroma, very pale yellow pour with a solid white head (at least for a short time), and a semi-crisp feel. Flavor is enjoyable in small quantities and best serves it's purpose on a warm day with a light meal. Overall typical expensive "import" brew, better off spending less on a nice American Wheat.

2.81/5  rDev +21.6%

I kept this corona in the bottle to drink it.
I did not use a lime, if you need fruit with your beer perhaps you should look for another type of beer.
There is no smell of hops, but the taste is crisp, and this beer is super easy to drink. There are times when this is the only saving grace and you are surrounded in a sea of light and traditional american lagers! In those cases it is a good beer. Otherwise if there is a broader selection of beer avaliable you should look elsewhere for a beverage
it is though the best beach beer! and I love beach beer because it means the beer doesn't really matter.

2.73/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A friend left this at my house, so I figured I might as well review it. It pours a pale urine like color, with a frothy head. Corona smells sweet, I do not know if it corn or another additive, but it is very sweet. The beer is thin and sweet. There is not much complexity to it, nor hops. The beer is very drinkable. This beer is good for serious quaffing as it is very light. That being said it is considered a good sessionable beer for the masses, but one I would rather skip.

2.45/5  rDev +6.1%

This pours a clear yellow, goldish color. Has a decent head that dies down before you notice it.

Smells like nothing, maybe some corn?

Tastes like nothing too. A very light corn taste, would think it was a light beer.

Very fizzy mouthfeel with a thin and watery body.

It is fairly drinkable though being that it is watery.

This is a party beer. If you want to knock back a 12 pack and get hammered this is one of those beers.

2.3/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I would have to say that the one thing that stands out about Corona Extra is that it is an overpriced macro-brew. The only differences between this beer and Bud or Miller is that Corona has a lighter taste and drains my wallet even more. It's not that i think it's a bad beer, I've had it more than a few times, just when I'm not paying. A little too watery for my tastes.

(Great for cruises though!!)

2.59/5  rDev +12.1%

I don't hate Corona, but I certainly don't like it as much as I used to. I used to worship the stuff, but as my beer tastes evolved, my liking of this beer definetly faded. It smells funky and tastes only slightly better. The taste without a lime is downright bad. I don't think the lime is in it to give it a citrus flavor, it's just there to cover up the blandness. I won't turn down a Corona, and sometimes I'm just in the mood for a couple of them, but the inflated price makes it even harder than it already is to believe that it's worth the purchase.

2.47/5  rDev +6.9%

It still baffles me that whenever there's a summer party people are like brainwashed to get this. It's usually like $13.99/12 which is more than most awesome microbrewery 12 packs!!! Anywho, I must admit on a hot day I don't mind one of these with a lime in it but after a long day of work I would never reach for this one. It's way too bland and fake tasting.. go elsewhere for the price.

1.28/5  rDev -44.6%

Poured from a bottle into which someone snuck a lime (this was handed to me, so I didn't get much choice in presentation) and into a pint glass, to raised eyebrows all around.

This beer looks like pee after you've had too many beers. If anything it's pale yellow, but barely has color at all. You can see entire landscapes undistorted behind it. The smell resembles a cross between boiled cabbage and an avocado left to rot in a paper grocery bag which you had the lack of sense to get a good whiff of. Pretty gross.

I'm not even sure I should include a "taste" category. Maybe success minute rice? This beer tastes like nothing, except the faint trace of lime from the added treatment it got. It has zilcho in the way of character. Ditto for mouthfeel. You might as well drink a tonic with lime. But make sure you do so in a cabana. On the beach. Only then will it be "muy autentico." My ass. Pretty bottle with lizards on the front don't sell it for this gringo.

2.91/5  rDev +26%

This beer is light straw in color with a short white head, no lacing. The scent isn't overly impressive. Slight corn husk scent to it. The taste isn't overly impressive by itself. Adding a lime makes the beer easier to go down. Although I don't think this is a great beer, I must admit they go down very easily. It's a beer for being out in the bars.

1.48/5  rDev -35.9%

My dad drinks this sometimes, so I drink it as an absolute last resort if I've got nothing around.

Say what you want about it being refreshing and smooth. Water is refreshing and smooth. The only flavor is its mild skunk. Otherwise, it's lightly carbonated seltzer. It's highly drinkable, but that's only because it has virtually no flavor. Put it in the freezer for twenty minutes before drinking to get it extra cold, and squeeze in some lemon or lime. Otherwise, it's completely undrinkable.

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

12 oz clear bottle with white "painted like label"

Corona Extra poured a clear pale yellow/gold with a thin white head and no lacing. The aroma and taste is very light - grains and corn detected. Corona is low in bitterness and thin in malts. Mouth feel is very thin, watery and fizzy.

Corona is so light in flavor I now understand why adding a lime wedge is recommended - next time [if there is one] I will. This is a beer for one that is not really a beer drinker - intended to be quaffed cold on a hot day. I bet if I reviewed this brew on the beaches in Mexico I would rate it much higher :~).

2.1/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Beer is a very faint light orange and clear. Head foams up and disolves quickly. Head is whte.

S: Typical Beer smell of any common beer. Grains slight citrus/lemon for me.

T: Nothing special close to water for me. But some people like that. Just a slight bitterness on one of my swallows.

M: Really does nothing for me but again some people like this fact for a beer they make think its easier to drink. Some what refreshing.

D: Not bad on a hot day but not great. Corona is not my first choice but I will drink it if someone hands me a bottle for free.

2.71/5  rDev +17.3%

This beer is thin. Pale yellow color. Don't bother pouring into a glass. It's not worth it. Drink from the bottle. It's definitely better with a wedge of lime shoved in the bottle. That doesn't say much for its natural taste. Pretty bland and weak. It seems to be a popular beer among women (as far as mainstream mass-market beers go). I find even the bottle design to be quite feminine, slender and naked. Somewhat sexy. Over all I'd give it 3.5 out of 10

2.35/5  rDev +1.7%

This, and Blue Moon were the first beers I had...and if I were writing this review about 4 years ago (hell, even up to 2 years ago) I'd be giving this a damn near perfect. Blue Moon Belgian White retained its higher ratings with me..this one..bleh. For the fairness of rating (since it has been a while since I actually drank this voluntarily), I had one earlier today...unfortunately

Appearance: Looks like beer. Really nothing special. Its a little paler and straw like than the Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier I'm having right now, which is FAR better than this crap.

Aroma: I expected it to be more skunky than it is, what with the clear bottle and all. The aroma to me wasn't that bad...probably because these guys didn't use much hops anyways. Or anything really.

Taste: Tastes like carbonation. It really feels like I'm drinking piss colored carbonation here. The flavors aren't bad, but they aren't anything special. Its not a beer that makes my face warp from disgusting taste, its a beer that makes me think "this was a waste of money" considering its hefty import price. Adding a lime does make it taste ok, but we're reviewing the beer here, not the beer modified with something with flavor.

Mouthfeel: Feels like carbonation. I can't say much more.

Drinkability: Oh, its drinkable, in the sense that Miller Lite is drinkable. Its watered down and mainstream with absolutely no flavor, and the lime gives it a slight kick.

Overall impression: Bad. Overrated. This is overpriced Budweiser. AVOID.

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.