Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,186 | Reviews: 1,185
3.32/5  rDev +43.7%

Poured a 330-ml bottle into a stemmed beer glass.

Appearance - pours a light yellow, consistent with the look of the beer in the bottle. No head retention, a very thin ring of lace. Heavy carbonation. Did not add the lime garnish.

Smell - there's a clean lime-citrusy smell on this one that covers a grainy-thin skunk smell. I actually find it not too bad, but it ain't boasting any complexities.

Taste - clean, crisp taste that is one of the thinnest flavour profiles out there. Definitely watery, but it has a sour-ish flavour that keeps a tartness happening which causes a nice thirst-quenching dry finish.

Mouthfeel - this is heavily carbonated, a beer-pop if it ever existed. Not taken for its complexities, as already stated. Definitely active, but active without character.

Drinkability - this is highly drinkable, goes well with pizza, wings, burgers, etc. Pretty well anyone can get a Corona down. This is a beer you can slam all you want, it is what it is and it's popular. Under the right set of circumstances, you can enjoy it for what it's worth.

2.01/5  rDev -13%

Five Finger Discounted this bad boy from a fridge at a party I was just at. If I'm paying for a keg that kicks before I get at least a couple beers I'm comin' for your pantry! Be forewarned.

The funniest part about all of that, though, is that I actually got into an argument at the party when I noted 'I would rather drink water than piss'. I was, of course, referring to Coors Light v Corona. But hey, to each his own.

Set the bottle in the fridge for about 90 minutes and it's spent the past 15 in the freezer. I don't know if it's cold enough yet.

The pour is a clear golden yellow--you're not surprised, are you? God knows you saw it through the bottle.
This might be the worst smelling beer I've ever poured into one of these Stone pint glasses. Pure skunk. ugh
It tastes pretty similar to how it smells. Not quite as awful but there's still a skunky rice feeling to it that bothers me. I'm not one to ever adulterate my beer with foreign substances but I'm wishing I had a wedge of lime here.
The mouthfeel isn't terrible and it's cool enough to be pretty drinkable.

For free, this one really is a steal!

1.81/5  rDev -21.6%

Was at a graduation party the other day, where this swill was available in abundance. I had forgotten just how wretched this crap is.

The beer pours a pale gold color with surprisingly decent head retention, but with pretty much non-existent lacing. The beer doesn't look all that terrible, but alas, this was to be as good as things get.

On the nose I immediately get some corn and seltzer, with perhaps a faint aroma of hops. It's not horrible, but you can tell right off that you are not in for a good time with this one. On the palate, I get sort of a metalic seltzer water flavor, with some slight sourness. The beer is very, very bland and watery on the palate, with sort of a dirty carbonnated water finish.

This "beer" is a flat out embarrassment, especially given the cost and marketing of this swill. I don't care how hot it is outside, or how many lawns I've mowed, I will not be ordering this beer ever again, even for free. As bad a beer as I've had in some time...

2.43/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

without a lime

A: clear bright yellow, with a small white head that leaves almost no lacying.

S: metallic corn? that would be its smell maybe.

T: not impressive sums it up well. notes of metal. did enjoy the crisp finish but that was about it.

M: a bit over carbonated and no real body (watery).

D: easy to drink not becuase of taste but becuase of its thin body. DON"T LET IT WARM! would never buy this beer but would drink it if someone handed me one (like tonight). I liked it better then "dos equis".

2.74/5  rDev +18.6%

Everyone really hates on this beer but prior to getting into craft beer this used to be my summer beer. I reviewed this beer without a lime which it desperately needs for drinkability sake.

A-Appearance isn't anything special

s-The smell is better than several other macro brews out there. I picked up some sweetness in there which was suprising as I was expecting skunk.

t-Taste is decent. Nothing special but good.

m-Definately has a drying effect

d- This is probably the best part of the beer. I believe this is still a drinkable summer beer as long as you wedge a good piece of lime in there. It won't win a blue ribbon after all but it's drinkable

2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured pale clear yellow with a white fizzy head and spotty residual lacing.

Lots of sweet boiled grain and sour beer notes here. Also a light metallic edge. Nothing enticing.

More of the same. Smooth corn flavors with some extremely light malt and light bitterness with a surprisingly clean finish. Nothing harsh here, but nothing great either. Watery and no distinctive unique elements.

Good carbonation keeps this from being a complete stinker. Fairly light bodied, so a decent hot weather chugger. This beer is a guilty pleasure for me. I have no trouble downing these with spicy tex-mex or wings or whatever. The lime actually gives it complexity, but if you have to introduce something to the final product, you need to suspect so major faults. There's other much better macro out there, and much better Mexican beer.

2.71/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Had some leftovers in the fridge from a recent bbq I hosted, so thought I may as well review one of em.

Pale gold, very clear and tonnes of activity from the carbonation. Supports a half finger of white head with reasonable retention.

Smell is a faint sweet corn and a touch of cut grass. Light in the nose, but could be worse.

A certain corn sweetness through the front half of the mouth, then a bit of 7-up citrus finish. Fizzy, amongst the fizziest of beers I've had, making it feel more like a soft drink than a lager.

I'll be honest, this isn't all that bad, but it is a hot day and I just had a burger with some slightly spicy bbq sauce, so it may be the situation helping the beer. That being said, I could think of plenty of beers that I'd rather have in the summer heat.

3.05/5  rDev +32%

a- bottle poured into a pint, straw yellow color, barely a half inch head that faded quickly, little to no lacing at all, good amount of carbonation.

s- smells corny, little grassy notes too.

t- tasted before i threw the lime in (a key lime slice to be specific), tastes a little corny with a bit of a sweet sftertaste, tang from the lime, almost skunky flavor.

m- thin, watery mouthfeel, good bit of carbonation, lime helps alot.

d- for me it's very drinkable for what it is, nice cold summer beverage. you don't expect the world when you have a corona. and always add the lime.

1.86/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I am not a beer pro in any way. I do know a thing or two about beer. I am often asked by people who know I am into beer. "Dude, do you drink Corona?" I usually tell them something smart ass like I would rather drink my own stale urine. Corona is terrible stuff. Then they usually get a strange look and agree Corona is bad. To my suprise I have never reviewed a Corona. So I am sitting here with a bomber of Ice Cold Corona Extra. Why in the hell would anyone ever want a bomber of this stuff? I open the bottle and I swore my cat had farted. What the fuck? The skunk character of this beer was evident as soon as I opened the bottle. This only intensified when I poured it into my Arrogant Bastard pint glass. I think I heard the Bastard groan as the beer hit its throat. Sorry!

Appearance: The body of the beer pours a clear bubbley golden yellow color. I will leave the piss coments for others. The head was white and imediately died.

Smell: The characteristic farting skunk is permeating my room. Do you use tomato juice to get skunk smell out. Now I understand the popularity of the Chilleda. A bit of grain corn smell and little else couples with the skunk.

Taste: The beers flavor somehow captures that skunk in a bottle flavor. Oh wait taste and smell are connected. Never mind its as it should be sweet corn grain combines with a bit of funk. This honestly does need the lime in it. Or perhaps I am remembering how I drank it in the past.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: Perhaps its the bomber of Corona I have drank speaking. The beer is thin and watery. While the beer is absolutely cold the drinkability isnt terrible. The carbonation is active but not stinging. So for me this is an improvement over Bud and its ilk. If I had some lime in this beer I might even be enjoying it. Ok if the price is right. Whats the right price? When someone else is buying you a beer. You can never go wrong with free.

2.05/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours very clear yellow. Thin, quickly falling white head.

Smells adjunct-corny.

Tastes sweet and malty. Hints of sourdough and grape juice linger in the background. Almost no flavor on the finish... and in general is pretty close to being completely flavorless.

It has one of the most solid bodies of any macro adjunct lager... which is still only medium-light. Decent carbonation. As with other adjunct lagers, the lack of flavor lends to drinkability. It's easy to put back, but let's call it what it is: fermented junk food. Do not drink this unless it's an emergency.

3.2/5  rDev +38.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. clear bottle into a pint glass. Right alongside a Pacifico for good measure. Pours a clear medium straw with a thin and fleeting head. Hmmm.

Smells of light noble hops and some corny adjuncts, as does the Pacifico. This beer is surely different across the border.

Taste is a bit thin but balanced with a decent malt structure. Nothing too distinct but reminscent, like so many tropical brews, of a mediocre Euro. lager; and yet a bit lighter than its brown bottled brother, Pacifico. I've heard that the two are interchangeable(on draught) in Baja, but there are some differences. Corona is lighter and hoppier, Pacifico is rich and buttery in comparison yet offers no more complexity per se.

Average in feel and quite drinkable given its light structure and lack of offenses. Nonetheless, this beer is ridiculously overpriced for what it is.

3.35/5  rDev +45%

A- nice pee color.. hah.. very clear like water

S- pale malts and oh yes LIME.. got to love the lime

T- So light and crisp and a nice tang from lime

M-Average and refreshing at same time

D- I love this beer down by the shore pool.. or bbq.. slam them back and have a good time

2.78/5  rDev +20.3%

A-It really doesnt look appealing unless it has lime in it.

s-It the smell isnt too good, once I put in the lime it actually helped it.

t-Its about so-so..again, it needs Lime to do it justice.

m-I leave a bit of a harsh aftertaste for me it's not an easy to drink beer for me.

d- It goes well w/ some food and it is probably great on a hot day. I just had it at a Mexican place and it really did not compliment my meal.

My friends rave about Corona and if they like it that's cool. Problem is, I really don't see the appeal. I think it's because before I tried it, I was drinking the more expensive stuff like Guiness and Sam Adams. I think I'm a spoiled beer drinker.

2.19/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a 24 ounce clear bottle into a tumbler glass.

Appearance: Big white head and a clear yellow body. Nothing noteworthy, but I guess it looks ok.

Smell: Lots of skunk thanks to the clear bottle. Apparently Modelo cares more about the beer bottle than the beer itself. Upon closer investigation I was able to discover the aroma of pale malts.

Taste: More skunk. To quote the notes I wrote when I drank the beer, "yuck".

3.53/5  rDev +52.8%

A. Bright yellow. Decent carbonation, and little head

S. Not very pleasent

T. Kind of skunky, im not a fan of fruit in my beer, but the lime makes it better

M. kind of watery, wasn't to pleasent

D. On a hot summer day or if your in the carribean its good.

Final thoughts: If you wanna drink it, get a lime. It helps with the unpleasent taste. Drink on hot days. Cinco de Mayo

1.56/5  rDev -32.5%

horrible horrible. i bought a six pack for the first time ever, drank the first one that day, unbelievably skunky. almost smells like some kind of rotting dead thing.

a- bright yellow, almost no head.

s- enough to make me gag

t- it even tastes skunky

m- below average

d- impossible (for me at least)

sorry if i offended anyone, and i realize that beer in clear bottles gets skunked quickly in the sun but this beer did not see the sun and it was bad, they get even worse with age. two thums down

1.81/5  rDev -21.6%

Imported in a clear bottle.

A - Pours a clear pale gold color with a lame white head.

S - Reeks of skunk and ass, I mean grass.

T - Tons of skunk flavor with a side of corn and grains. Finishes rather dry. I really, really wish I had a lime right now. No, it was not actually skunked, that's just how every single Corona truly tastes.

M - Watery yet crisp.

D - I could force down several of these but even as an American Adjunct Lager the taste makes this so damn hard to drink. I don't even think I could play beer pong with this.

Final Thoughts: This shit straight blows. It's expensive shit too.

1.8/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

I haven't had this in about 3 years, and never without a lime or poured into a pint glass, but it was left in the fridge so here we go...

A: Very pale yellow, lots of carbonation. No head or lacing, just keeps on bubbling.

S: Well, there's not much to be honest. A little bit of grain somewhere in there, and some skunk.

T: Tastes kind of rough but bland, and I want to say there's soap in there. Get's worse at it warms up.

M: Ahhh carbonation.

D: I had to drop a lime in it as it warms up, but still not very good out of a pint glass. I just popped open another one, dropped a lime in, and took a swig. That's a world of difference, it just hits the palate differently of the bottle also. If it's hot out and I'm by the pool or on the beach, I'll give it a shot. No sense in bringing a nice IPA out the sun to skunk...

1.52/5  rDev -34.2%

Someone had this on tap for Cinco and my friend begged me to try it because it "has to be better on tap, right?" No. No, it doesn't.

Color is very pale yellow, almost clear. It looks like someone took an already watered-down beer and added water. There is no head or lacing. It looks gross and lame.

Sure, you can tell there are hops if you strain. Primarily, though, somebody bathed a dirty skunk and threw in the bath water. Thank God they added so much water that there's so little of everything else.

Yes, there are malts. Again, you strain to taste them. Hops are the same. I think the skunk peed in the bath. Then someone threw in some lemon peel.

Urine and water. Plus skunk. Not a mouthfeel, I know, but I like to reiterate.

That's about it. I exaggerate a little. Don't pretend you didn't enjoy it.

2.91/5  rDev +26%

A - very typical of the style. Light straw color, little head and not much retention. Average.

S - skunky smell. Smells like a cheap adjunct other than that though.

T - varies a lot. Pretty good in my opinion if you buy it in the 12 pack box. I think that keeps the light out of it. Not terrible in a 6-pack, but pretty skunked. Don't buy this as a single unless you want to kno what a skunky beer taste like. If it's not skunked though this is actually an above average adjunct. Has a nice hop character and balance for the style. Good in cans if you can find them.

M - too much carbonation. Otherwise avg for the style.

D - very drinkable just like most adjuncts.

Overall I think this beer gets an undeserved bad reputation. If it's the skunk taste that gets you, give it a try in cans if you can find it, really above average taste for a macro adjunct. Can be a little pricy for what it is though.

2.68/5  rDev +16%

Picked up a big 24 oz bottle and a burrito to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Popped a couple of lime wedges into bottle. Fizzy yellow color, almost see through body. Smelled like water. Tasted like fizzy lime water. Gotta have some lime in here to give it a little zing; otherwise you are not working with much. Listen, you don't drink Corona for flavor. It became the King of Beach Beers for a reason: drinkability. You can drink one of these in your sleep. Awake or asleep, not much to write home about when you're done.

2.36/5  rDev +2.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a Pint with no date on bottle and no lime.

A - A little carbonation feeding a very small white head above a bright clear gold body.

S - Wheat, grains, husk smell, very light malts are an afterthought of this beer.

T - Almost indecipherable flavors compounded of, what I can make out, incredibly light malting, grain, and husky flavors. Very processed.

M - Sharp carbonation bite but crisp and refreshing feel.

D - Being it Cinco De Mayo, I'll probably put my entire 6 pack down no problem but from now on I will never have them without the lime in the bottle. It's the only way.

3.3/5  rDev +42.9%

Everyone I've talked to either hates or loves this beer. I, as a matter of fact, think its great. It's the perfect summer beer, just add a lime and your set to enjoy the day in the backyard pool or a swim-up bar. It's light and refreshing. It's not meant to be the king of beers, so don't go buying this beer thinking you're gonna get some over-the-top quality Mexican beer. I'll always chose Corona over its peers.

1.98/5  rDev -14.3%

Going to review one of these in the spirit of Cinco de Mayo!

Appearance is a light golden straw color. poured with nearly no head, but it was white.

Smells a bit skunky, also pick up some grains or corn. It would smell better if i had a lime in it.

I think this is the first time I've actually had this beer without a lime in it. I knew I wouldn't be impressed. I taste grain, a little bit of malt, and a metallic/paint taste towards the end.

Mouthfeel is dry finishing and crisp. Watery. Not horrible.

Drinkability isn't too bad, but the whole beer gets bumped up a couple grades with a lime in it.

2.56/5  rDev +10.8%

Well here is another overrated, oversold beer in the United States. Corona is as much of a household name as Bud, Coors, and Miller. Corona is great if you are beyond buzzed and need something to come down on, or need something on a hot day, that tastes worse than sparkling water.

Overall the appearance is blah, the small and taste are below par, mouthfeel is ok, and drinkability is the only thing going for this beer now. I am really glad I bought a Coronita extra 6-pack, less to drink... I should try and pawn this off to a friend.

I do not recommend this beer... I can only imagine how awful the light must be.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.