Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
2.85/5  rDev +23.4%

Poured from a 12 oz clear bottle into a pilsner glass.

A - straw yellow with a thin head that contains tightly formed bubbles. No real lacing to speak of.

S - Musty, vegetal, malty with slightly grassy odors.

M - Fizzy, somewhat seltzer-like w/ light body and malt sweetness in tinges.

T - A general light lager flavor with a touch of hops. A slightly salty taste with a sweet middle. A dry finish w/ plenty of carbonation tingle in the end. The flavor and effervesence tend to get blurred together.

D - A basic light lager flavor w/ some drinkable qualities, but not worth seeking out and I would probably avoid this in the future.

Slatetank, Aug 05, 2007
1.4/5  rDev -39.4%

It had to happen eventually so here it goes. 12oz bottle poured into pint glass. At least this thing isnt a twist off.

A: Not the worst looking thing I've seen, pours the basic clear piss yellow that all the other macros have, but the head lasts longer than most, a one inch head that eventually fades after a few minuets into a thin cap.

S: I think a skunk died in this beer. But since I sort of like that smell I give it a 1.5

T/MF: Feels like seltzer water in the mouth, tastes like its gone bad. I can actually taste the smell, weird. Sweet corn is also (barely) present. Finishes clean with a little fizzyness on the tonge.

D: This isn't the worst tasting beer but it tastes much like any other macro, so why pay extra for the same thing. Awful.

bluemoonswoon, Aug 05, 2007
2.55/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I'm not sure if I consider this a beer; I always just think of it as an iced tea or some other cold beverage (and it really requires a lime to be palatable). I suppose this is a pretty good summertime "beer."

A: Very faint. I don't think I've ever seen this one poured out of the bottle. I know I don't care to. From its taste and mouthfeel, I can't imagine there would be anything intersting to see if poured out.
S: Faint. Slightly skunky, slightly fruity. I don't have much to compare to since I don't drink American Macro Lagers.
T: Very light/pale lager. I think of corn as I'm drinking. Nothing else.
M: Watery, malty, a little fizzy.

leechungsr, Jul 09, 2007
1.93/5  rDev -16.5%

Tried this one from a can, which is quite a new presentation.

Can tell about appearance since a drank it strait from the can.

Although has no skunky odor, which is a big deterrant for me. Some maltiness.

Highy carbonated. Fizzy.

I avoid this one, but from a can it's a regular outdoor, BBQ-like of macro.

¡Salud!

Pepeton, Jul 06, 2007
2.6/5  rDev +12.6%

Corona Extra poured an extremely clear, sparkling, light yellow. The head was big and bright white, and had suprisingly good retention.

The smell was what would be expected. It was faint with nothing but a little beer smell.

Corona Extra's taste was extremely light. I guess I expected a little more of an impact, but to me it compared more to a light beer (nothing "Extra" about it).

The taste is extremely crisp, as would be expected by the massive amount of carbonation that can be seen. It feels very light in the mouth.

Overall, I thought Corona Extra was easy to drink. But it did leave a pretty awful aftertaste. Maybe this is why people drink it with salt and lime. Personally, I think it is more fun to experiment with different Mexican imports, all of which are priced similarly.

DrinkinBoy, Jul 06, 2007
3.15/5  rDev +36.4%

This is a beer that gets pissed on a lot but I really can't understand why.

I mean, yeah, it's not worth what it costs. And, yeah, it pours like crap, all light yellow with a tiny white head.

But it smells lightly citrusy with no hint of adjunct and a decent, weedy backing to the fruit esters. It tastes pretty much the same, light but very crisp and nothing at all offensive about it.

There's no skunkiness, there's no adjunct nastiness. Heck, I'd take this over a Bud or a Coors any day. It ain't good, but it ain't really bad, neither.

mynie, Jul 04, 2007
2.73/5  rDev +18.2%

Ok So I think I am more generous than most people-
Appearance is well, its liquid and straw colored and thats about it.
Smell is faint, some skunk that may double as "hops" no malt smell really, except a bit of corn.
Taste is average, less corn taste than expected given the style and Mouthfeel is on par with the style as well.
Drinkability is good enough

supercolter, Jul 04, 2007
2.83/5  rDev +22.5%

[NOTE: for fairness's sake, this sample was consumed without a lime or any other synthetic flavor-altering element. I thank you.]

The color is straw-yellow, absolutely see-thru. No head, no lace. No color or depth. Some (read: non-beer drinkers) might find this appealing because it's light, but to me it's weak.

The smell is actually not all that bad. It has the smell of a very weak, summery Belgian white. It is a tiny bit stale (naturally, as are all Coronas) but has a surprisingly pleasant-enough fruity (orange) aroma.

The taste is more like a pale lager than a Belgian white. The wheat aspect is nowhere to be found in the flavor. It's more like a corn/rice cereal drink. It is light, which could be considered a positive, but it's too high a price for no flavor. The smell is far superior to the taste, for what that's worth.

The feel is light and watery and malty. Leaves a minor, wheaty film. For a pale lager, it is dead-average. And it is summery. Overall I suppose this might be good for a hot day, and maybe it's closer to an iced tea than a beer, so for that, I suppose it's fairly drinkable. You could do worse for a pale lager; just don't expect much flavor.

williamherbert, Jun 28, 2007
1.5/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

To me, this is the definition of beer coloured and beer flavoured water. The aroma is very weak. The colour I've only seen before in toilets. And the taste is watery. Like Budweiser, it amazes me how many people order this beer instead of the multitude of great tasting treats in Canadian bars

cyrenaica, Jun 25, 2007
3.63/5  rDev +57.1%

Ok, I'll admit it, I love an ice cold Corona, sue me.

Poured from the typical clear bottle into a pilsner glass (this may be the first time I've ever poured a Corona, it's destined to be drunk right from the bottle). Pours a very pale yellow with small white head that disappears quickly leaving no lace. Well carbonated so it has a small head.

It has that typical skunky smell but for some reason I like that.

Average tasting beer, slightly skunky. I am having it without lime and in a glass to get a real taste but this beer needs the lime.

Thin and watery in the mouth.

Still, it's a very drinkable beer. Like I've said in many other reviews of south of the border beers this is a great beer for hot, humid Florida summer days. When you want to quench your thirst and don't want water this is it. Open a bottle, cram a lime down the neck and enjoy. Good stuff.

dstc, Jun 19, 2007
2.35/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A 12 oz. bottle, courtesy of my office's "Friday at 4" Design Committee (it's an architecture firm thing, the 'design' part, not necessarily the beer choice part). I feel like I should be drinking this straight from the bottle, with a lime wedge planted in the neck, but instead I've poured to a pint glass.

A: Pale straw color, perfectly clear. A few streams of rising carbonation to a thin film of white; really it's a thin ring of foam with a clustered haze in the middle. Fair amount of sticking white lace, in rings

S: Sadly, skunky at first whiff. A clear bottle makes no sense, but it's what this brewer insists upon. Skunk fades of then it becomes bitter hopping and stale malt; where's my lime? Something needs to kill this aroma...

T: Some corn and clean bitter hops, sweetened malt and a little citrus zest. I give this an 'average', as it's really no better or worse than anything of the style I've tried.

M: Crisp and reasonably clean. Requisite lightness with some dry bitterness.

D: Not 'undrinkable' but I'd only have this as a 'last resort'; maybe if the local water was unsafe to drink. I tried this today merely because it had been so long since I'd had one and (funny) it was the six-pack that had the most bottles left at the end of the day (I believe 5 of 6 remained). Not recommended, but I'm glad I tried this again as a reminder of why craft beer is the path I've chosen...

msubulldog25, Jun 16, 2007
1.88/5  rDev -18.6%

Drank this for free recently during my Florida vacation as this was sitting in the fridge when I arrived. I drank it with a burrito I ate for lunch. Poured into an imperial pint glass. This beer is a clear, fairly light gold color. The head was non existent when when the beer was first poured. Had an extremely thin surface layer and ring lining the inside of the glass. Smell...what smell? Perhaps a bit of vegetable abstract and the smallest hint of malt. No hops. The taste is very bland, uninteresting, and slightly sweet. Again the smallest hint of malt upfront along with some corn or other vegetable. Pretty bad. I did not add lime. A true beer should not to have anything added to it outside of the brewing process to enhance its flavor IMO. Has a light bodied mouthfeel with minimal carbonation. Easy to drink, but not in the way a real beer should be. Drinking this is like drinking water. I drank this in very hot, humid weather in Florida while eating a spicy burrito so it was somewhat refreshing at the time. However, if you want to drink a decent Mexican beer with some actual flavor, get some Dos Equis.

Eric

neenerzig, Jun 14, 2007
1.93/5  rDev -16.5%

12onz clear bottle with "la cerveza mas fina"(the most fine beer) on front, i think it all depends who drink it,cause is not the fine one for me.

The appearance is very pale golden color with some white bubbles on the top,it looks really cool it the bartender open it champagne style.

The smell is like veggies a lot, maybe soemthing with the hops.

The taste is nothing to be impress about it some veggies again and some carbonation too.Does'nt feel bad on the mouth nothing to be impress neither.I would not drink this on regular basis.

I have heard lots of things about the lime in this beer some people says it change the taste of the beer (of course,it would taste like lime), but a friend was in a trip to Mexico some years ago, when this beer was not that popular in US and he tell that the tour guide tell him to rub a lime on bottle mouth to repell flys and insect. Is this true don't know but don't put anything in my beer anyway.

BeerDreadz, Jun 13, 2007
2.65/5  rDev +14.7%

good beer for hot summer cookouts when you are going to have 2 or 3 or 10 in a row. it is easy to drink and not too filling. it is not my favorite Mex brew, but not bad.

decent for those who like the lighter beers. too pricey for the fact it isn't a premium beer. likely the result of a big marketing budget. i like the ads - sun/beach/waves/bikini/beer...what's not to like. it just should have more body to totally impress me.

"Beer is proof that God loves man." Benjamin Franklin

giblet, Jun 13, 2007
2.23/5  rDev -3.5%

On a hot humid day...much like today...after mowing the law a bottle of Corona (without the lime, sorry ladies) is actually refreshing. That may be it has as much taste and as tap water. But seriously, this beer reminds me of all the great times I had in Mexico and for that it is worth the money to get a six pack every once in a while. This beer is bland and doesn't have much carbonation, but is tolerable. If you are looking for a good Mexican beer I would still rather drink XX!

WJVII, Jun 08, 2007
2.38/5  rDev +3%

Better than Bud. Even without the lime wedges. With a lime, this is merely a limey beer- you can make any cheap beer limey. Without, it's a relatively unoffensive, bland, tasteless thing. I had one for the first time in aaages and someone commented, they made a LIGHT version of this?! I can't believe you can get any lighter. It doesn't taste awful, it's not metallic, and it's great on a hot day, as are most brews in this style. Stick a lime in it and it's even less offensive. But Corona is WAY too expensive. There are half a dozen other brews in this category, that come in convenient cans, by the by, that are 1/3 the price. I'll take one of those any day over this.

scooter231, Jun 06, 2007
2.23/5  rDev -3.5%

Ah, Corona extra... gotta be one of the most profitable beers in the world. One of the original bottled waters! At least it's safer to drink than much of the water in the world.
Appearance? you can tell that from the clear glass bottle... but for the sake of science I have poured some into a pint glass.
Forms a brief foam phenomenon then fades away. Some hints of lacing try desperately to hold but the white fades back into the yellow, bubbly bog.
Very nearly odorless. Nothing off putting. Nothing appealing. Water with a hint of something that may have been a malt or hop bud at some point in time.
Taste? Ha! Needs a lime. I'm going limeless this time, again for the sake of science. Water once again. Nearly flavorless. The mouthfeel is watery with a faint hint of bitterness from time to time.
Easy enough to drink, but really, why bother? Drink it out of the bottle as cold as possible if you have to drink it at all. This is expensive swill at usually $16 for a 12 pack. Instead, get yourself some Schlitz; you can stick a lime wedge in there, too, and save yourself a bunch of money.
The company really went through the effort to make Corona Light? Really? It is hard to imagine this being more weak or flavorless.

ommegangpbr, Jun 02, 2007
1.68/5  rDev -27.3%

Preface: I'm going to give this beer the benefit of the doubt and review it like I would review any beer...

Poured into my Westvleteren goblet, Corona's traits are evident as quickly by the nose as they are the eyes. Upon pouring the clear light straw-colored beer a pungent aroma appears. Until this moment I thought that 'skunkiness' was merely a fun nomenclature. No. This really does smell like you're driving down the highway and smell that smell that can only be described by ' hey, someone must have run over a skunk.'
There is no head, only a yellow body. Taste is like the smell, and bitey at the end. There must be some form of complex alcohol in here to create this effect. It is not pleasant. Fortunately, the mouthfeel is an OK light body like you'd expect in a lawnmower beer. But then you swallow. What a corny, astringent aftertaste. How is the the biggest-selling import beer for the US? Shame on you, US! :)

DaveFL1976, May 31, 2007
2.53/5  rDev +9.5%

Corona is really just a party and hot day beer nothing more and nothing less. It makes people feel good about drinking an import that do not usually drink imports. I do have a lot of friends that love Corona. So I have been known to knock back some with some lemon or lime on occasion. I try never to knock a friend’s beer. Those are fighting words. Besides it is a decent beer to drink on a hot day.

Appearance- Jaundice yellow straw.

Smell- Faint. Kind of like the “Near Beer” I get when I can’t drink the real thing.

Taste- See Smell. OK not fair. Add some citrus and you will alright.

Mouthfeel- Thin but balanced.

Drinkability- Decent it is not the worst beer ever and it is some what refreshing on hot days.

MTNboy, May 22, 2007
1.8/5  rDev -22.1%

Yep, pretty much what I expected, except worse. The brew delivers a very pungent, peppe-le-pu scent that simply never went away. How can a beer with such a lack of flavor and character carry a scent that strong? Clear, straw, and fizzy wraps up the appearance. Grainy and earthy flavors never go anywhere. Weak body with no texture, but, hey the carbonation seems abrasive. Finishes grainy ...and with that damn smell!

BEERchitect, May 18, 2007
1.85/5  rDev -19.9%

This is pale and watery as most people realize.
It is a lesson in marketing, how not only how it is fashionable but attracts a premium price in bars and restaurants.
It is meant to guzzle on a hot day surely nothing else.
If some one else is buying I am prepared to drink , but it wont get any of my premium beer dollars

jarmby1711, May 16, 2007
1.93/5  rDev -16.5%

How Corona can call this brew "Extra" is beyond me. No offense to the brewery, but how the American everyman beer drinker can be bamboozled into thinking this is a premium quality beer is stunning. Pours a tepid pissy yellow with the standard American pilsner foamy head. Smells of pee-pee and light hoppiness mixed with water. Taste is very underwhelming and no doubt gets a boost when the obligatory lemon or lime is squeezed into the glass. Mouthfeel is non existent. I guess that this is highly drinkable as a session beer since there is very little substance to be rated. Credit must be given to the marketing staff of the brewery, since most Corona drinkers are missing the boat when it comes to taste and variety in America's beer industry.

logansboat15, May 15, 2007
1.68/5  rDev -27.3%

A - This beer pours very watery. It's almost an injustice to pour this beer into a glass. The head is non-existent and what head you do get does not retain well.

S - I don't really smell anything. I just get water and alcohol.

T - Like many American Macro Lagers, this beer tastes "cold." You'd never imagine that cold would be an adjective you'd use to describe taste but that's the best I'm getting here.

M - It feels like cold water. I have to admit that it's very refreshing, but more of in a gatorade way.

D - If you just want something cold to quench your thirst, this is not a bad choice. If you're looking for taste and an experience, you've come to the wrong place. At best, this is a refreshing beer.

sessycuban, May 15, 2007
2.1/5  rDev -9.1%

Traded a Schooner for a Corona with a friend at the cottage.

Appearance: Poured a sample from the bottle into a glass. Poured a pale yellow urine with a small white head, no retention.

Aroma: Rotten skunk corn. Honestly, smelled more like skunk than beer. Nasty grains and corn. Not pleasant.

Taste: Skunk and corn juice. Very little flavour in the the finish, just a hint of rotten grains.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy and average.

Final Statement: After I downed that poured sample I put a couple of lime wedges in the bottle neck for the rest of the drink. This beer needs it! It's actually not bad when it tastes like a lime cooler, its the only way this disgrace is drinkable. Not recommended.

MMansfield, May 14, 2007
2.05/5  rDev -11.3%

Es la cerveza mexicana mas vendida en el mundo, pero no es por su calidad ya que en su elaboracion utilizan procesos quimicos, y se fermenta rapidamente, es una cervezas sin cuerpo y si te la sirven fria y tienes mucho calor es algo placentera tomarte una. Su envase es transparente y no tiene etiqueta, esta impreso en la botella el nombre. En algunas partes del pais venden corona en envase ambar para que aguante el sol y no se heche a perder.

jeortizrubi, May 09, 2007
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.