Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
3.02/5  rDev +30.7%

a pale straw color with little to no head. a very still beer, very little to no bubbles floating to the top.

smells like stale corn, maybe a hint of hop to follow, just maybe though.

very corny taste that hits immediately upon impact to the palate, then as it spreads on the tongue and thins out, theres very little left to taste. theres also a slight alcohol finish, that when teamed up with the thin corny malt and slight bitterness, has a funny astringent taste.

light bodied beer with carbonation that seems non-existant at first, but then finishes very spikey and "sizzles" on the tongue.

despite all of its flaws and lack thereofs, corona can be a very drinkable and enjoyable brew. maybe theyve done a hell of a marketing job, but if its a hot summer day, particularly on the beach, this is the first thing ill pick up in the store. quenches the thirst, refreshes, and washes down. really, it wasnt meant for much else was it?

1.2/5  rDev -48.1%

Appearance - Pours a pale gold color with a foamy two finger head which disappears quickly, no lace.

Smell - Faint smell of corn and grain.

Taste - Corn and grain. Also a slight metallic taste, from a bottle. Odd.

Mouthfeel - Thin, watery, high carbonation.

Drinkability - Not good. At least I tried it.

1.39/5  rDev -39.8%

And here's my home country's No. 1 export beer... much to my deep regrets... Seriously, I don't know how a lot of people in Europe and the USA actually love this! And marketing offices in this country seem to be satisfied with this instead of actually trying to properly represent the country with a competent beer.

The appearance is actually inviting at first, specially if the bottle is ice cold as it is recommended to consume, you then raise your glass or bottle and realize that the body is a little bit too light, but that gives you little to nothing to say it's bad... then you notice the lack of smell and then you start to be suspicious about a lack of substance but you still go on and try it... and there it is, no substance, watery and taste lacking, heavily over-carbonated and depending on handling possibly a lot of foam, but the disgusting type of foam... It doesn't feels good, does not tastes good and its practically awful.

In summary, is it just canned over-carbonated water with poorly brewed and processed cereal grains.

2.18/5  rDev -5.6%

As with others, this beer has a great color, and appearance... but when you get down to tasting the beer, it is very unpleasant, and does not fit my personal beer drinking tastes. I dont ever imagine me going anywhere and picking this beer up with a meal or for any other reason.

2.05/5  rDev -11.3%

Corona Extra is like a lady you see walking towards you on the street from about 50 yards away who you think is hot. Then you pass and you realize she is about 50 years old, her face is beat and her breath stinks.

My Corona Extra had a respectable appearance. Decent white head, approaching two fingers, brilliant star bright light yellow color and some champagne like beading. Head was creamy in parts with some big bubbles spaced about.

So far so good. Then I had to smell it. A lightstruck skunk odor attacked me! After I regrouped and gathered myself back up off the floor I was able to detect some grain notes and even...slight caramel? No, can't be.

Then I realized I had to taste it and shuttered violently. Fortunately the taste was better than the smell. (But that's not saying much). Some light malt sweetness that seems to gain strength towards the end. Very slight backend bitterness that leaves as quickly as the aftertaste. Some DMS aromas were hiding in there too, that only came out once I tasted this strangely popular import. Wondering if there was more to this beer, I ate a saltine cracker to refresh my palate but my next sip tasted like nothing. It seems the mighty saltine flavors completely dominated anything Corona had to offer.

Lively carbonation and light to medium body, duh.

No lime for me since I was reviewing, but usually I squeeze the lime over the top of the bottle, pour the beer out and then lick the bottle while sitting on the beach. Like a lime popsicle!

It's difficult to make a wise description of the largest importe beer in the United States, but i made this observation:

A: Bright golden color, like molten gold, the foamy head is white, creamy, with a finger and a half thick, fueled by hundreds of small bubbles that emerge from the background, and lasts forever, the retention is excellent.

S: Smooth and refreshing, constantly invites you to take drink it, analyzing it, dominates malt, stinging hops and olive oil.

T: Indescribable, a master merge between malt and hops, some chickpeas and grains that i haven't found in other adjunct lager.

M: Medium bitterness, very refreshing, crips, leave's a pleasant taste, medium body and medium carbonation.

D: World class.

1.36/5  rDev -41.1%

I have friends that love this, but I cannot understand. The first thing I notice is the skunky smell, worst of any beer i've ever drank. After 2 of these I'm done, heavy feeling and nausea. I've heard people say Corona doesn't taste like beer, they are right it doesn't!!! I guess the limes make it better, it would have too. No offense Corona folks, but I just can't handle it, but to each it's own.

2.31/5  rDev 0%

Like a couple of guys pointed out, it's probably a mistake to review Corona in early spring, indoors without sunshine, bugs, sweat, and a hammock. No lime included today.
Ap. Poured a pale golden yellow with a decent head that stayed around, although very thin. (Second mistake, pouring it out of the bottle.)
Sm. (third mistake?) grain, corn.
Ta. Without the lime, there is a light grainy sweetness, and a kind of chemical aftertaste.
Mf. Thin, but with nice carbonation.
Dr. Based on this one today, I'd have to say not so much. But based on last summer (hammock,sweat,lime) it's very very drinkable. I think more research is necessary.

1.53/5  rDev -33.8%

It looks quite light in color. Nothing wonderful to look at. It forms a small head which is gone in a few moments.

You'd rather not smell, since there is not much to smell. You can feel corn and other "strange ingredients" that just don't seem to belong in a beer (it is an adjunct after all). You can also feel that nasty skunk if you do take a sniff.

The taste is rather soft, yet astringent. It's not quite a pleasant sensation to keep it in your palate for too long. If the beer warms up, it gets even skunkier and you'll just feel like not drinking it. I recommend adding a lot of lime, to compensate for the poor flavor. It's not so bad after adding a ton of lime and drinking it ice cold.

Mouthfeel, is disappointing but not too bad. You can immediatily tell that it's an extremely soft beer. Feels quite watery.

It's like drinking seawater man. Such a bad experience.

Overall, it's not the quite thing you would actually "enjoy". Either drink something else, or don't drink at all.

1.28/5  rDev -44.6%

Well this is one of those beers you either like it or you don't. We I don't. The appearance is very commercialized very pale to yellow. The smell is that of gym socks. The taste is...well there really is no taste. The drinkability is very bad. The after taste makes you want to use sandpaper to get rid of it. Don't get me wrong I like beer a lot but this is not one worthy of calling beer.

1.83/5  rDev -20.8%

In celebration of the first sunny day here in Utah for a really long time, i thought I'd bust out a summer classic.

Before I continue, I have to say that an ice cold corona with street tacos in Cabo San Lucas is a pretty appealing proposition. Maybe it's because of the location, or maybe it's because this is a fairly refreshing offering when chilled to the max, I can't say. I have been known to drink these, and even enjoy them. However, this review will be based upon how this beer fares when compared to its contemporaries.

A - Color of dead grass. The head disappears in a matter of seconds leaving behind no lacing. The result is what looks like watery, carbonated apple juice. Actually, apple juice is probably darker in color.

S - Corona always had its own scent. Let's call it the Coronaroma. There was alwasy too much of a vegetal quality to it for my liking. A whiff of skunkiness, metallic, and dusty corn husks, and you've pretty much covered the bases.

T - Dusty corn, grain, slight metallic. Carbonation. This beer just tastes cheap. That's the bottom line.

M - The mouthfeel is awfully watery and thin. There's also aggressive carbonation that accentuates the thin feeling.

D - On a hot summer day, while you're laying on the beach eating street food in an exotic Caribbean destination, a corona is called for. Other than that, look around.

3.7/5  rDev +60.2%

I like a Corona once in a while. I drink it without the lime as much as with the lime. I am a wild and crazy guy. (Props to the great Steve Martin.)

I think the thing to remember about Corona is that it is meant to be for laid back feelings; to promote a Zenful relaxation, if you will. Therefore, there is an inherent gentleness to Corona that beer extremists would not have an appreciation for. But then, there is truly nothing extreme about Corona whatsoever. It is not meant to overpower the senses; it is meant to lightly caress them. Thus, we believe the viseral qualities that we have come to expect from our usual potables to be left wanting when, in actuality, we are provided with subtle hints of joy.

Perhaps less really is more. That's how I see it anyway.

With Respect for Beer,
MikeInIowa

1.95/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours a straw color with a small white head with poor retention and no lacing. Smells very weak but atleast there's noticeable tones such as; weak hop, even weaker malt and a small amount of citrus. Tastes is the exact same as the smell, however I find the citrus note to just be annoying. Mouthfeel was poorly carbonated and only a small step above water. Still just as drinkable as anything else of the style.

2.18/5  rDev -5.6%

I almost forget that I am drinking a beer when I have this. It more reminds me of a soda that was never sweetened. Pours a yellow, sand like color (or maybe I'm just associating it with those great commercials) with lots of carbonation and no head worthy of mention. Smelled malty and bitter, with a very light, bitter taste that mellows out. Don't drink it without a lime wedge. My favorite macro beer and I don't mind it at times, but definitely should only be consumed during the three warm months of the year.

1.9/5  rDev -17.7%

A:Almost clear golden yellow, super thin white head

Sl: grain, maybe some corn, but not much really

T: not much here either. tiny bit of hops, but it's a stretch

M: Water with loads of carbonation

D: lots of macros are at least easy to take down, but I've never really enjoyed corona... something about a beer that 99% of the time you see with a lime in it seems odd to me. If it needed something extra, shouldn't it have come that way?

2.2/5  rDev -4.8%

The appearance is of dull watered down yellow not to good looking. The smell is of chemical and well just bad in general. The taste is awful with out a lime but that can make up for it. Mouthfeel is fizzy and a bit smooth just the only area that makes it bearable. I can drink these all day on the beach with a lime but out of that context not to great.

I wouldnt recomend this at all try something else.

2.06/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I can't believe I never reviewed this one. I recently sampled one at Georges a great little bistro just off Inlet Beach in FL, which unfortunately does not have a great beer list. .

When poured into a glass, the beer is a very light yellow with crystal clarity. Quickly collapsing white head.

Nose of veggies and some background sulfur notes.

The sulfur/skunk carries over to the taste. The beer is slightly sweet with minor cooked corn highlights

The beer is crisp, but the mouth is very thin. I suppose it easy to pound down a bunch but why bother? Here is a beer where the fruit improves the taste.

Note that after this beer I had a Blue Moon. Man, did it taste good by comparison!

First, I would like to say this might be the most over-rate beer amongst new beer drinkers. I was always told that a beer that needs fruit and/or additive such as lime is indicative of a bad beer and the the lack of quality within.

A - The color has a watery-golden hue and sometimes has been damaged by the sun due to clear glass serving bottle.

S- The scent is skunky, almost offensive. This is not the good skunk like aroma from quality hop based brews.

T- The taste is bitter and leaves a bad aftertaste. Tastes like soapy dishwater.

M - The best attribute of the beer is the effervescence and carbonation, not that it enhances the flavors, but does help in terms of acting as a refreshing, hot-summer day beverage.

D - I find it hard to drink based on the aftertaste and the lingering presence of its poor quality.

2.51/5  rDev +8.7%

Served in a pint glass.
I've wanted to rate all the beers from my past (pre-enlightenment), and finally am getting to this one, sans lime.

A: Moderate pour yields one finger head that quickly dissipates to nothing. Highly fizzy. Crystal clear, light straw color.
S: Faint whiff of malt and hops, smells like a macro lager (duh). Euro hops and lightly toasted malt.
T: Bread, with off aftertaste, sort of flat and bitter. Cooked veggies? Bad breath taste swoops in after halfway done.
M: Starchy - coats my teeth like a green banana. There's a bad taste after a full beer which makes my mouth feel gross.
D: Almost as easy to drink as water; but not tastier than water.

1.91/5  rDev -17.3%

330ml bottle, clear as the office window beside me, well maybe without all that winter dirt, but hey.

This beer pours a medium pale golden colour, with one finger of thinly foamy, bubbly, and soapy dirty white head, which melts away like it's just been spotted, leaving a low berm of meniscus lace around the glass.

It smells of grainy white soup cracker 'malt', a certain corn pithiness well imbued, with some prominent skunky, weedy hop oil astringency, as opposed to actual hoppiness. The taste is that generic macro malt 'flavour', i.e. slightly sweet rice/corn (I don't particularly care to differentiate) mush, a bit of really stale lemon, and stanky earthy, leafy hops.

The carbonation is fairly innocuous, the body unequivocal in its lightness, brainlessly smooth, and even a little creamy, in a frothy sort of manner. It finishes on a soured cooked vegetable note, amid the lingering corn pone sweetness.

This is making me wish that this wasn't the last beer left in the office fridge after an overly long Friday afternoon company staff meeting, but that's now neither here nor there. Corona is what it sets out to be - fizzy, grainy, skunky as a feature, not a flaw, and sexy in its foreign grittiness. Blah, but I'm not about to lay down in front of this particular bulldozer.

2.3/5  rDev -0.4%

Someone gave me one of these the other day, and I hadn't had one in well over a year and couldn't even remember what it tasted like, but I did remember enough about the taste to know that I preferred with a lime, but for the sake of a BA rating I took a few sips before I put the lime into it as to not taint the actually smell and taste with an outside source.

Pours light yellow with a moderate amount of carbonation and a frothy white head that dissipates.

Has a lot of weird smells going on. Skunky, metalish, corn adjuncts.

Tastes similar. A little bit skunky and metalish but not so horrible that you want to spit it out all over the place, I just kept thinking to myself, what the hell is that taste? It is drinkable but I can remember why I prefer these things with a lime it it.

1.85/5  rDev -19.9%

Bought them for beer haters. Have some left.

Appearance - Light yellowish. Not even straw really. The only thing worse looking really is Corona Light.

Smell - Sort of bilge like. It's weird and funky, like a frat basement. Possibly an old bale of hay.

Taste - Sweet up front. Some corn taste. Then more sweetness on the follow, with the tiniest little nip as it finishes. Weird aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Sort of crisp. Some sort of carbonation.

Drinkability - Eh. I mean, you could drink a couple dozen of these. Preferably with lime. Which is pretty much all you need to know.

It's Corona. I mean, what do you expect? It's pretty awful. But somehow drinkable.

2.87/5  rDev +24.2%

Corona Extra
Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Style: American Adjunct Lager
ABV: 4.60 %

Reviewed 10/20/08 @ home, bottle>pilsner glass
A 1.5 - pale straw in color, little to no head at all
S 2.0 - semi skunky smell, minor hop notes
T 3.5 - crisp/clean taste on palate, almost citrus-y in taste on light malt base
MF 3.0 - high carbonation, very thin body but interesting, slick finish
D 3.0 - I actually dig the high carbo & citrus hints in this brew.

2.31/5  rDev 0%

12 Ounce clear bottle

Appearance: Light yellow color with little carbonation and little head

Smell: Hard to pick up on anything

Taste: Lacking any real taste but what is there is slightly sweet but almost bready tasting. There is very little bitterness at all until it starts to warm up but even then it is not a good bitter.

Comments: Not really an off taste until it warms up and then it is not good to drink at all. Refreshing while still cold without a lime it is plain but with a lime it is not too bad (I know fruit shouldn't be added but trying it with and without is a good idea)

2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass

The color is a very light yellow, clear, with a tiny white head that does not sustain long.

The smell is a very little grain smell but not very much there.

The taste was light some grain and a little floral hops.

This beers has it's place but it's usually with a lime and some salt and being sipped on a beach somewhere. Not strong, it's real good on a hot day or a BBQ.

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.