Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
2.1/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Beer is a very faint light orange and clear. Head foams up and disolves quickly. Head is whte.

S: Typical Beer smell of any common beer. Grains slight citrus/lemon for me.

T: Nothing special close to water for me. But some people like that. Just a slight bitterness on one of my swallows.

M: Really does nothing for me but again some people like this fact for a beer they make think its easier to drink. Some what refreshing.

D: Not bad on a hot day but not great. Corona is not my first choice but I will drink it if someone hands me a bottle for free.

2.71/5  rDev +17.3%

This beer is thin. Pale yellow color. Don't bother pouring into a glass. It's not worth it. Drink from the bottle. It's definitely better with a wedge of lime shoved in the bottle. That doesn't say much for its natural taste. Pretty bland and weak. It seems to be a popular beer among women (as far as mainstream mass-market beers go). I find even the bottle design to be quite feminine, slender and naked. Somewhat sexy. Over all I'd give it 3.5 out of 10

2.35/5  rDev +1.7%

This, and Blue Moon were the first beers I had...and if I were writing this review about 4 years ago (hell, even up to 2 years ago) I'd be giving this a damn near perfect. Blue Moon Belgian White retained its higher ratings with me..this one..bleh. For the fairness of rating (since it has been a while since I actually drank this voluntarily), I had one earlier today...unfortunately

Appearance: Looks like beer. Really nothing special. Its a little paler and straw like than the Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier I'm having right now, which is FAR better than this crap.

Aroma: I expected it to be more skunky than it is, what with the clear bottle and all. The aroma to me wasn't that bad...probably because these guys didn't use much hops anyways. Or anything really.

Taste: Tastes like carbonation. It really feels like I'm drinking piss colored carbonation here. The flavors aren't bad, but they aren't anything special. Its not a beer that makes my face warp from disgusting taste, its a beer that makes me think "this was a waste of money" considering its hefty import price. Adding a lime does make it taste ok, but we're reviewing the beer here, not the beer modified with something with flavor.

Mouthfeel: Feels like carbonation. I can't say much more.

Drinkability: Oh, its drinkable, in the sense that Miller Lite is drinkable. Its watered down and mainstream with absolutely no flavor, and the lime gives it a slight kick.

Overall impression: Bad. Overrated. This is overpriced Budweiser. AVOID.

1.54/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance
Light, light yellow with loads of carbonation; tall white head that could get out of control without a careful pour; head quickly drops down to a fine cap, leaving no lacing

Smell
Big yuck! For such a weak beer, this has a surprisingly strong stench. Lots of skunk, grains, and dried corn.

Taste & Mouthfeel
Water-thin mouth feel and has the typical bite of well-carbonated pils; there's not even a hint of malted barley, and certainly no hops; it just tastes grainy and leaves a tangy and somewhat sulfuric aftertaste; there's nothing redeeming in the flavor

Overall
I would gladly throw a lime in this one to improve it. I think it's maybe worse than the majority of Mexican/Central American macro lagers as the flavor has really nothing to offer and the aroma is just offensive.

12 oz. bottle. Pours a yellow with little, fully diminishing white head. Aroma is of straw, light yeasty/dough, and a bit stale. Light body with a bitter flavor, watery. Needs the lime to make it better, and that may not put it higher than Bud Light Lime.

Small capped bottle poured into a pint.

Very light, almost translucent yellow beer, with a thin white head that dissipates very fast.
There is very little aroma or taste, adding a lemon or lime will "add" that note; it is refreshing, but that is all you will get.

1.86/5  rDev -19.5%

When ever I think of Mexico, I think of big hats, big moustaches, Bandits and crap beer.

You can blame Hollywood and the American film industry for the first three and Corona for the last stereotyping.

Yet here I am about to review the beer that gave Mexico a bad name. The first 'designer' foreign beer that was advertised all over the place to hit Great Britain (I believe). This bottle was left at my house by someone who came to my daughters Birthday party, I would never have paid for it.

I poured the beer into one of my Duvel glasses, I wanted to give the beer a chance.

To be fair it looked like a Duvel except the head fell away very swiftly. A little lighter than a Duvel really, very pale and crystal clear too.

I give all lager/pilsners a score of 3 unless there is something bad or good about them. This is as odourless as most, but with a stale bread aroma hanging around.

Insipid and tasteless, nothing to report.

Fizzy water comes to mind when considering the mouthfeel.

Glad I didn't buy this beer.

2.15/5  rDev -6.9%

My mother-in-law's birthday party had these being served. So I decided to rate them. Appearance was wicked bland with a pale, pale, dull yellow with some frothy lacing on the sides. The lemon flavoring aroma was very weak but did have some yeasty hints to it. A generally bitter taste to the drink with a lacking lemon zest made it a pretty boring drink. Mouthfeel probably was the better dimension of this drink. It was light, watery and slightly carbonated to allow for something relaxing on a hot day. Overall, a somewhat festive drink but the novelty wears off quick.

1.55/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Hard to imagine there was a time when this was one of my fav's. Not horrible for pounding in the sun, which I've done on more than one occasion but nah, it's not a good beer. Corny, grainy, sometimes skunky. I'll drink one in the sun if someone gives it to me but I doubt I'll be buying this anymore. For whatever reason it does seem to be OK with spicy foods.

1.93/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured a clear yellowish gold like canned pineapple. Foamy white head that displayed very little retention and no lacing. Weak. Flavors are clearly those of a Mexican Macro Pilsner. Corn husk, grassy hops, old grain. Again, weak. Highly carbonated and a light body. Bitter and unpleasant aftertaste (limes are used to mask this). Would be awful at room temp. The strange thing about this beer is it has its place; on a hot summer day with lime wedges for example (which is what BL Lime - which I have also reviewed - tries to emulate). Good with a taco, bad drinking solo.

2.16/5  rDev -6.5%

12-ounce can poured into a shaker pint glass yields a clear golden body with a thin grayish-white head that vanishes pretty quickly into a ring, but leaves a bit of lacing on the glass.

The smell of the drink has a bit of sour cereal and spent grain with a touch of meatallicized tap water.

The taste of the drink is malty and a bit sweet with a bitter, drying finish.

Plenty carbonated. Plenty thin. Plenty crappy. In desperate need of a lime wedge (or anything) to give it some flavor. Meh.

3.2/5  rDev +38.5%

I may have a soft spot for this beer. There was a time when I considered this a high class beer. When I could barely afford Bud Light. Of course that blissful ignorance has been completely shattered.

Color of light beer, only a little more substantial. Light golden yellow, not entirely unappealing. Thin white head is gone in seconds.

Smells oh so skunky, which adds to its uniqueness. Skunky smell, skunky flavor. In fact, if not for Corona, would we even know what "skunky" is?

OK, so its thin, fizzy, yellow beer for wussies. The skunkiness gives it a touch of flavor in a beer category totally devoid of any flavor. Which puts it a step above the other macros in my opinion.

Because its so thin, fizzy, and yellow, its too easy to chug. I'm talking too easy. Does a great job of thirst quenching. I have no trouble drinking this.

Overall: you know.

1.7/5  rDev -26.4%

A: Almost bright yellow, a little chill haze, and a spot of fizzy white head that doesn't last at all.

S: Husky with a touch of corn sweetness. A bit of a sulfur aroma without being skunked to high hell.

T: A bit of tinniness. Thin, and lacking much for substance. Graininess and a bittersweet - almost sour finish; rather astringent. Pretty unpleasant.

M: Prickly and slick... but with enough body to leave a bit of a residue behind. In this case, it's not a particularly good thing.

D: There are far better lawnmower beers for better prices. Not a very good beer, and not something to allow to warm even in the slightest!

Part of my Shitty Beer Review Series...What am I doing to myself?

A. Pours a light gold into a glass with NO HEAD after an agressive pour.

S. Skunk Grains. I immediately think "drain pour" but then I re-coup, gather my thoughts, and continue.

T. Ick. Skunky astringent corn. Some bitterness coming out of the stew of foulness.
I think they may have used hops, not sure.

M. A bit watery and slightly harsh.

D. Well, I tried it. A few swigs, then down the drain, I cannot continue to hurt myself. This is worse than Natural Light. The Swill to end all Swill.

2.22/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours light yellow colour with a thin rapidly diminishing white head. Large bubbles that are far in between.

Smell is sharp, malty and metallic. There is more of an attitude here than I had expected.

The taste is a different matter though. Unlike the smell it is very bland. There is some corn and some malts but not much else. Carbonation is mild. There is some, but not much, bitterness in the finish.

Neither the mouthfeel, nor the drinkability are nothing to write home about. They don't stand out in any way.

1.51/5  rDev -34.6%

Well, I'm currently drinking this beer right now. I didn't bother pouring it into a pint glass, because whats the point really with a beer like this. It has a yellow color to it. I took one whif of this before i drank it. It smelled like a skunk, which I haven't experienced with a beer before. Took the first swig taste was worse than pretty much any beer I've ever tasted. I'd rather drink even a best light over this beer. Drinkability I guess is average. If your drinking the beer cold then you could probably drink a whole lot of them without cringing. I think true torture would be serving this beer warm though.

3.1/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

not the best beer in the world, but good every once in awhile. they spend a lot of money on their marketing campaign to look like the face of mexican beers, but when you actually go to mexico (not cancun or any of the americanized cities) you will not find this beer at all. you will find tecate or modelo. tecate is better but modelo is okay. if your gonna buy corona, buy a sol instead. sol is similar in taste minus that skunky taste that corona has, and you can get a 32oz for the same price as a 22oz of corona.

3.18/5  rDev +37.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a "mug" - pray

A- Pours a one and a half finger head that quickly dissipates. Pale yellow with perfect clarity and lots of carbonation

S- smells very sweet with a hint of lime (or something tropical that I can't quite put my finger on) Smell is quite inviting oddly enough.

T - Lime and alcohol on the nose. The body is an interesting mix of hops and lime. With a crisp finish that leaves an oily residue on the back of the tongue. I was surprised to find the lime flavor even with no lime added. Maybe my subconscious is adding it because I usually add lime...

M - Lots of carbonation and thin. Fine for the style

D - For the price (about a buck a bottle) this is nothing special, but it certainly beats other macros. I probably wouldn't buy this, but I could easily see kicking a few of this back from the bottle by the beach on a warm day...

3.08/5  rDev +33.3%

light straw in color, clear with a short white head, no lace to speak of. smells of corn husk with a slight metalic tinge. taste fresh corn slightly sweet and hint of salt. light mouthfeel and carbonation is good. i like it once in a while ice cold by it self or with a slice of lemon or lime.

1.76/5  rDev -23.8%

Appearance: Very light clear, straw yellow. Starts out with a one inch white head, but diminished to a skim in quickly. Not real carbonated like many of its ilk. This was actually the highlight.

Smell: Slightly sweet corn with a hint of green apple. Slightly metallic smell was a turn-off.

Taste: Very little, if any flavor. Repeats the sweet and metallic smell in the taste with like a wet cardboard. No hop bitterniess, no finish, nothing.

Mouthfeel: No body, medium carbonation. Not very much here at all.

Drinkability: Don't let it warm, extreme cold will mask most of the unpleasantness of this beer. Better off to buy something (anything) else.

1.63/5  rDev -29.4%

Corona is fairly lackluster. It has a corn-ish skunk, a mellow, uninspired taste, and no afterglow worth mentioning. It's got a clean presentation, and the ethanol isn't biting, but a good beer these qualities do not make.

I'm only sure I'm not drinking water in that it's yellow. A cardinal sin. Can we have some flavour, please?

2.5/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pale yellow, not a big head, a little lace though.

S - Smells almost like a little bit of apple vinegar.

T - Pretty Dull, Average amt. of hops. A tad bitter for such a low abv beer.

M - Pretty simple a little bitter. Not a whole lot of feel.

D - Goes down pretty easy, one of those cheap beers to have at a party in the summer.

2.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A - Pale yellow, perhaps a shade darker than most macros. Half inch head tries to form but never really makes it, quickly settling into nothing.

S - A little sweetness going on with some grain husk and oddly a very noticable alcohol aroma.

T - Early on a grainy, almost cloying sweetness comes out followed by a very crisp bitterness. Bitterness hang around for a bit late palate along with standard adjunct flavor. Finishes clean.

M - Highly carbonated and light bodied, though a little oily.

D - Not as bad as I remember it, but certainly nothing remarkable. I might have one if nothing better was available.

3.22/5  rDev +39.4%

Presentation: Poured from a 12oz clear bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: It pours a very pale shade of yellow with a thin white head that quickly fades out.

Smell: The aroma has light grain, corn and husk notes.

Taste/Mouth feel: The flavor without the lime is well, plain old American pale macro lager. There is a mildly sweet, light grain flavor with corn adjunct and bland mildly grassy hops that offer some bitterness for balance. Its palate is light and crisp with a light body and refreshing carbonation.

Notes: For the most part this is really just a trendy drink so for best results serve ice cold in the bottle with the lime and enjoy on a hot summer day.

2.56/5  rDev +10.8%

Had this straight out of the bottle and yeah, there's nothing truly spectacular about this beer.

Appearance is a very pale yellow, almost artificial and barely any head.

Smell was very much filled with a bread/corn mixture, very average at best.

Taste wasn't bad at all actually, but the aftertaste falls flat. There's nothing left to savor as it goes down too quickly to enjoy.

Mouthfeel was much like water with a hint of breading. Nothing filling about this stuff.

Drinkability is okay, but these go very quickly. They're good to satisfy thirst, but that's roughly it. Spend your money wisely somewhere else as this stuff is incredibly overpriced.

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.