Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
1.95/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

12oz. clear bottle with no clear freshness information.

a: Crystal clear yellow, apple juice-ish body. Just a sliver of white bubbles around the perimeter. Zero lacing and retention.

s: The aroma is hard to place but certainly not pleasing. Sweet and sour, smells sort of like a skunk.

t: The flavor is weak, I mean "subtle." Vague grain flavor, sweet malt, bitter bite in the finish, but no real hop flavor.

m: Lightly carbonated water with food coloring.
Yeah, it has a light body.

d: Utterly undrinkable if not ice cold. Lime/lemon/orange greatly enhances the experience by masking what little flavor the beer has. Perhaps its just a case of highly effective marketing, but given the proper situation (ie: on a beach with a girl in a bikini within reach) this can be an enjoyable beverage. I can't imagine buying it, there are so many better Mexican beers and if you are looking for a refreshing macro lager, this is a poor choice. Plus, for the price you could get any of your local micro brews.

The canned version of Corona was bland enough, but the bottled version has the potential to wreck havoc to my tastebuds thanks to its skunk promoting bottle. Again, I poured the sample into a glass without lime. All I gotta say is the bottle isn't any better. It isn't "spit-out" bad, there's just little there. Skunked spicy hops seem to take on the most flavor in the beer, which is almost like a light beer.

Conclusion: stay off the bandwagon and spend your money on something better.

1.85/5  rDev -19.9%

A - Poured light golden, no head, and carbonation dissipates quickly. Keep in mind, I usually pour 2 fingers in a pint glass.

S - Matly, ricy, grainy, with alochol scent.

T - Spicy, but no distinct flavors jump out, a little bitter.

M - Over carbonated on mouth when little was evident in the bottle. Mild alcohol flavors.

D - Would go better with a lime, but even that is pushing it. Could not finish beer. :(

1.48/5  rDev -35.9%

I'm doing this review without the aid of a lime wedge to alter the experience.

A - Poured a straw yellow color with a white head that dissipates to a ring around the glass

S - Is of skunky grainy malt

T - Grainy malt this would be better with some lime flavor

M - This is a light to medium bodied beer

D - Without a lime this is a horrible beer I haven't had this beer in a few years until now and I wasn't missing anything

Welcome to the beach. This is where this beer makes its marks. 90 degrees in the shade and 90 percent humidity. There it has a place as a wet refresher, I guess. I might go for water. The bottle smell is pure corn. The color is evident in the bottle, no glass needed. The taste is dry, good for the heat but not for the beer conasiuer. Pure flat hopping on a corn base. The mouthfeel has the right carbonation so that may be the best of this brew. The drinkability is very questionable, after drinking this I have a sudden slight headache. I think I got sucked in by the propaganda. They should show somebody mowing the lawn then imbibing this swill. Then showing them going for water to wash it down.

2.9/5  rDev +25.5%

Lots of fuss about this brew,seems like a favorite among everyone,i think the novelty is wearing down now.Pours a lite yellow clear color with a decent white head,lots of bubbles and fizz,left some mild lacing.The nose is where it hurts,strong skunk smell,and lingers for awhile,some mild grains and old corn comes at you.Taste is not that bad though,way better than what it smells like,quite crisp and refreshing,mild grainy grass and corn comming thru,got quite a bit of carbonation,like drinking a pop,would be good on a hot summer day,didn't really mind this one.Will have again,maybe try it with a next time.

3.45/5  rDev +49.4%

12oz. clear bottle. Consumed from the bottle with a lime. This is how it's intended to be drank(now) so that's how I'll review it.

A: Pale yellow and crystal clear. Similar to clear lemonade. Lots and lots of bubbles.

S: Before adding the lime wedge, I poured a bit into a glass to get a sent. Nothing much at all. A tiny bit of grain, maybe? A bit of herbal notes. With the lime in the bottle, that's all you get.. lime.

T/M: For the style and with the lime from the bottle, it's not absolutely terrible. Tastes like highly carbonated limeaid. Why would you want to beer that tastes like limeaid you ask? You could ask the same about IPA's and grapefruit. Mouthfeel is very light and highly carbonated... very good if your in the mood for something very light.

D: One of the easiest beers to drink. This beer gets dumped on so much and I guess it deserves some of it, but, if you're in the mood for something light and something you can just suck down when you're hot and thirsty, then this isn't a bad choice. I'll admit to purchasing a 6er every few months.

1.78/5  rDev -22.9%

This is the trendy mexican beer that people who dont know mexican beer drink. People get laughed at for drinking this. It is brewed by Modelo and from what I hear it is their worst brew.

A- appearance is normal.

S- smells kind of funky personally I don't like it.

T- tastes like cheap, thin, mexican beer, many people say that the workers piss in it. I hope that is a myth cuz I dont know what piss tastes like.

M- mouthfeel is normal.

D- I don't drink this beer, I might have 1 if it was given to me and ice cold.

1.95/5  rDev -15.6%

Piss yellow color with a light smell of I don't know what. Maybe its lime,that could be it. Mouthfeel isn't great, but its not so bad to merit a 1.0. taste is a little sour and bitter, really not worth drinking but when you go to a mexican diner, what beer is there to drink? This is probably one of the better mexican beers.

1.27/5  rDev -45%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This stuff pours out a horrible yellow color, plenty of carbonation and fizz with a tiny white head that is pretty much gone really fast.

Skunk scented herbalness, sour corn, tangy yeast and a bready malt. That's it.

It's not the flavor itself that dissipoints so much, it's the lack of it. The flavor follows the nose on this one, a thin bready malt, skunky "green" hops that is almost herbal with a rice and corn sourness and a slight bit of soured, tangy yeast. The feel goes from lively to dead in no-time flat.

I don't care if you are on a beach in Mexico, look for something else.

1.68/5  rDev -27.3%

A--ginger yellow color, thin eggshell head that dies quickly.

S--Weak fragrance overall

T--watery, weak hop presence, no malt, no flavor really

M--thin

D--I see why people want the lime with this. It really has no flavor. I recall the several that I've had and seem to remember I can only drink this with lime. In that case, save your money and buy a decent hefeweizen.

1.73/5  rDev -25.1%

Appearance: pours a very light yellow color with a short 1/4" white head that breaks apart immediately. No lime in the pint glass.

Smell: no aroma other than some funky sweetness.

Taste: taste profile is very weak as only some corn and mild sweetness can be detected. Any bitterness is weak and barely detectable.

Mouthfeel: very crisp throughout. Light in body. Clean aftertaste.

Drinkability: this is just an awful beer with no flavor. The lime must provide some flavoring to make this drinkable. I had this for beer for fun during a holiday get together, and just couldn't finish it. I was also frowned upon for asking for a glass and no lime. Ugh.

2.42/5  rDev +4.8%

Drank straight out of the bottle, no lime/lemon in there. A very light yellow color. Didn't check out head retention. Smell is very light and the macro beer smell comes through. Don't smell any cereal type flavors in there at all. Taste is of a macro brew with a strange sweet aftertaste. Mouthfeel is very light on the palate. It's highly drinkable...good for a hot Saturday afternoon. Overall, not a good taste, but great to drink if it's hot out.

2.85/5  rDev +23.4%

Been a while since I had this one. Went out after work and ended up at a Mexican restaurant....

Pours yellow with almost no visible carbonation or head. Looks rather lifeless.

Aroma of adjuncts and sweetness. Not much else.

Taste is light, crip and some adjuncts. Not a lot here. Maybe the lime helps to add flavor. It was actually better than I was expecting [i.e. no skunkiness].

Mouthfeel was light and smooth.

Overall, very drinkable. A good lawnmower beer. I actually enjoyed this much more than expected...even had a few. Went well with the food.

2.17/5  rDev -6.1%

Everyone knows this beer. I just thought I'd throw in my two pesos here.
This isn't a bad beer if you're at a Cinco de Mayo party, because there's almost no taste and it is extremely smooth (I find that the lime actually makes it a less drinkable) and goes down easy.
As for the beer, it is seethru, almost invisible. There is no discernable smell other than water, because this a watered down beer.
The taste I said that was better w/o the lime is still not impressive.
It isn't worth the money it sells for, and its popularity proves the adage that there is no accounting for taste.

2.48/5  rDev +7.4%

Color is yellow. Head is non-existent. Lacing is missing in action. Aroma ? I guess that was what the lime was for. Tastes like macro-brewed beer, no more no less. Thin mouthfeel but it does have a lot of sodapop-like carbonation. Drinkability – I would drink a million of these if they where free, if I am paying for them then I am looking for something better.

2.2/5  rDev -4.8%

So I dont normally review macro's but I'm bored. Pours yellow with fizz, no head retention and no lacing. Smell is some malt, some sweet, some corn or grain. Taste is of skunked Bud Light. No, seriously, I really cant distinguish much of anything other than some (presumeably) corn syrup and malt extract. Light and crisp does feel ok on the mouth and though I hate to say it, it is easily drinkable, a refreshing beer on a warm day. Please dont drink for taste though, only drink if its hot and you're thirsty.

2.63/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured this beer into my session glass. The appearance is ok for what it is, very pale straw color...in the bottle it almost looks yellow. The nose is almost non existent in my opinion some slight malt and corn flakes, but very faint. The taste very bland and what I would expect from looking at the beer, and I am serving ice cold. The mouthfeel is very carbonated. Not the best beer, but on a hit summer day on the beach, I enjoy putting them back. Thus, a 3.5 for the drinkability based on refreshment

1.98/5  rDev -14.3%

Pours a pale yellow with a medium white head. Smells slightly of corn. Taste is almost non-existent, a slight amount of grain and sweetness. Bitterness from the hops is there. Mouthfeel is thin, carbonation levels are high. Pretty drinkable due to how light it is, but the flavor is so bland, there are much better choices out there. Corona costs the same amount as a lot of craft beer, so buying this is something I would probably never do.

2.5/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

They have this in a can so I'm putting the 'it's supposed to be skunky" theory to test here.

As a macro, pretty average appearance wise. Very clear, very amber, very mediocre head retention and lacing.

No clear bottle = no skunk. What a concept. Sweetness and some husky, grainy malts which I couldn't detect past the skunk in the clear bottle. Score 1 for the can here.

Tastes seems to be thicker, sweeter out of the can vs the bottle. Sweet corn, some grainy malt and a bit of metallic astringincy. An average macro, much better out of the can although the one's I had in Acapulco in 2006 were better

2.08/5  rDev -10%

When it comes to this beer, "skunked" doesn't apply. It's actually SUPPOSED to smell that way. God only knows what this stuff is like when it actually has been skunked. Absolutely awful diluted rotten vegetable taste, zero lace, weak head; just about the only redeeming characteristic is that it's pretty drinkable. But that's moot, since I wouldn't even drink another Corona for free.

2.8/5  rDev +21.2%

From a typical 12 ounce bottle, poured a golden yellow color with minimal or no head... Served with a lime, this was a nice, refreshing light beer that would go really well on a hot, lazy summer day chilling on the porch or the beach... The flavor is crisp and the lime really complements it... Not much going on with the smell - bland and pretty uninviting but then again, I wasn't expecting much... Mouthfeel and drinkability are decent, and I could down a few of these, but with so many better choices out there to choose from, definitely wouldn't make this a session choice... Overall, I liked it and would drink it again if offered, but I wouldn't run out to buy a sixer...

1.63/5  rDev -29.4%

Coarse white bubbly head, which sinks immediately. Lots of carbonation. Pours a bright golden yellow.
Initial nose of ginger ale, then the adjunct-laden pale malt character.
Bland macro flavour. Watery & characterless... no wonder they shove fruit in it.
Little or no body. Can swish up a touch of a dextrinous mouthfeel, but this fades very quickly.
Dunno whats worse, this or Sol.

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I used to down these with my buddies every summer at the local Mexican place so I decided to give it another try now that I have been exposed to what beer is supposed to taste like.

This actually didn't pour half bad. The color was a pale golden with a smallish head that faded fairly quickly.

This beer smelled pretty skunky. Kind of a tartness to it as well.

Had quite a watery taste to it and wasn't nearly as good as I remember it being. However, I used to drink this ice cold which I don't do with beer anymore so maybe that has something to do with it. I was hoping to invoke some pleasant memories but I really didn't.

Well, the memories that I had of this beer were fonder than what I experienced this time. It's not a horrible beer or anything but I don't know that I will revisit this one anytime soon.

2.45/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

appearance - Light clear gold color, lot of bubbles. Head didn't stick around.

smell - Has a skunk, and rice smell to it.

taste - Sweet, grainy, rice, and a little bit of hops.

mouthfeel - Light body and carbonated.

drinkability - I use to drink this a long time ago. Brough back memories and the question why.

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.