Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
1.78/5  rDev -22.9%

This pours a light yellow with a small head that disappears quickly. I can't say anything about the smell because I can't smell anything. The taste is weak,light,and watery. Now I know why people put limes in this beer. The m/f is light and weak. Although this is a real bad beer, I know I will have this again at occasions were I know I will drink alot,i.e. tailgating, beach party, or BBQ. It's light and you don't have to worry too much about getting too drunk. Plus sometimes you have to drink what's at the party. Cheers.

jmz62565, Mar 26, 2006

Yuck, you open this up in a room of micro and home brews, and it smells like a skunk go loose!
However, i was up in Wawona, Yosemite just this weekend, and i found a thicket of Hops, (probably not native or natural) that were definatly bitering, and not aromatic. My brother-in-law had brought the corona’s and had some limes. So I added a lime slice, added several fully ripened hops, let it set for awhle, it was [only then] drinkable.
I find it very interesting that authentic native Mexicans call this trash beer.

ReDave, Mar 23, 2006
1.88/5  rDev -18.6%

Why one would really consume beer made from world-famous Mexican water is beyond me. I guess in the process of killing all the germs, they manage to kill all the flavour too.

A pissy-yellow colour is mated with a strange skunky, yet somehow sugary smell that has an odd corn scent to it. Watery corn mash taste with sugary essences to it. There is no one particular flavour, but rather a blend of weak, industrial additives and general lack of any real hop or malt presence. Thin, actually undercarbonated and very lacking in almost everything. Hardly even drinkable...Mexican food, generally strong flavoured and spicy, would burn out any flavour from this.

BDTyre, Mar 16, 2006
2.42/5  rDev +4.8%

Had the misfortune or opportunity to sample this in cancun, mexico during last year's spring break. At about 20 pesos ($2) for a 1-liter bottle, it was the best value for the money at the local shops. Definitly has a thicker body than corona extra and i enjoyed the taste more than corona extra (which doesnt say much). It has a definite malt sweetness to it. I have yet to see this in america.
Every other bottle i purchased was either labled 6.0 percent alcohol or 4.5 percent alcohol. Only in mexico .... but it was a damn good time.

baldmasterflex, Mar 06, 2006
2.15/5  rDev -6.9%

Pale yellow color with little to no head, that retains even less.

A rather skunky smell

The taste was nothing special though it is not offensive in any way, just a light malt character. Very waterd down. Maybe that's why people put limes or lemons in them? I prefer a beer with character all of its own making.

Very easy to drink, amd light. I can see why every barbecue I go to in the summer has them. Though if I wanted to be refreshed I would just have some water. Then have a nice light pale ale.

Freshie, Mar 06, 2006
1.3/5  rDev -43.7%

It just goes to show you why companies pour millions into advertising to get millions to pour utter swill down their gullets. Any beverage that is consistently a skunkfest and requires a fruit to help it go down does not deserve to be called a beer. This is what you are served in hell (and people actually pay money for this!)

shamus, Mar 05, 2006
1.6/5  rDev -30.7%

One of the worst. Before tonight, I had never had Corona. I want my money back. Pours out to a light yellow color with very high carbonation. The head of white foam hung around, but looked like an unflushed urinal at Wrigley Field. Terrible aroma of wet cardboard and wet fart. Taste was similar, but luckily i've never experienced a wet fart (in my mouth, that is). The only redeeming fact was the mouthfeel was decent; aside from that, it's pretty bad all round. I'm gonna pour it out. My recommendations to Corona 1- use brown bottles. 2- use better ingredient 3- Keep this stuff in Mexico until then. Not recommended.

Frozensoul327, Mar 04, 2006
2.05/5  rDev -11.3%

12oz bottle. No need to dirty up a glass.

Appearance - Golden and clear. No head to speak of.

Smell - Hard to get past the skunky aroma, but when trying to I get a bit of a grainy smell.

Taste - grain, corn, combined with that skunkiness.

Mouthfeel - Super light and crisp.

Drinkability - I can put these down on a hot day. I rarely care for a lime but really it does help mask the skunkiness. Aside from being something cold and refreshing its really not worth the money. I love mexican food and I still prefer a Modelo over this.

My parents drink nothing but Corona and Corona Light, I have no idea why, maybe they have fallen prey to the marketing wizards who seem to have put a spell over the people who absolutely love this stuff. As a marketing dude, I think what they have done is genius but as a beer drinker I would never pay that much for this type of beer when there are so many other similar, cheaper beers.

tattooedtolley, Feb 22, 2006
1.78/5  rDev -22.9%

Offers very little in the way of taste, fragrance, or appearance, but if you shove a couple lime wedges down the neck, you basically get a fairly tasty, fairly drinkable, flavored beer. Lime flavored beer, that is. Without the lime, I find this completely undrinkable, but with it, it's somehow almost refreshing. I almost don't consider it a real beer, but I also don't really mind putting one down at a Mexican restaurant once or twice a year when the mood hits.

skillerified, Feb 13, 2006
1.63/5  rDev -29.4%

Appearence: Yellow. Very light in color

Smell: Yup. Very faint smell. Difficult to describe.

Taste: Very little. Not my type of beer. Not much in hops and/or malts.

Mouthfeel: Yup. Very light.

Drinkability: Nope. Again , not my type of beer. But there is a beer for everyone, so enjoy

Koolbreeze2, Feb 09, 2006
1.93/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Clear dandelion-yellow with an amber tint. White head. No retention and no lacing.

Smell: Skunk sprays from the bottle upon opening, but thankfully dissipates rather quickly, leaving only a slight tweak of skunkiness in my glass. Besides that, there is kind of a grassy smell plus an odd sweetness, a cross between pee and peas. A fruity edge and some doughy yeast are also detectable.

Taste: So very, very weak. It's hard to identify anything other than corn and a dish soapy lemon pucker on the back of the tongue. I wish I had a lime.

Mouthfeel: Unpleasant.

Drinkability: I haven't said anything good about this beer, but this is certainly very drinkable if served ice-cold with a lime. I actually prefer Corona Light, because it is slightly more refreshing; this one has a strangely sticky mouthfeel.

soulgrowl, Feb 07, 2006
2.53/5  rDev +9.5%

Looks like a golden, sometimes-bubbly beer. The smell is a tad skunked, damn clear bottles... whats the point in these things anyway? The taste isnt too terribly skunked though so thats good. Its hit or miss with these ones. Very bland tasting. Corny/grainy flavor, a little bready, not much else. Very faint tasting, nothing offensive. Clean finish. The mouthfeel is decent for a beer of this style. Drinkability is okay as well. I wouldnt go out of my way for one of these, but I suppose its a little better than most of usa's macro lagers.

jasonpeckins32, Feb 03, 2006
1.48/5  rDev -35.9%

Appearance - Pale yellow with no foam.

Smell - Corn-like, very odourous.

Taste - Watered down, skunky-tasting beer. 2nd worst to Coors Light. No reason to tap Mexico either.

Drinkability - Very bad macrobrew, particularly something considered an export beer. If you're buying something cheap, stick with Bud or Natty Lite.

palffyfan, Feb 03, 2006
2.55/5  rDev +10.4%

The ever adored Corona, a spring break/ college staple. Well, I had one of these for myself.... Mixed feelings. I was a little dissapointed because it had been so built up in my mind. I guess I expected too much from a beer that delivered so little.

Drank from the bottle with a slice of lime that salvaged this beer from being awful. The smell was a little skunky? Wasn't sure if this was how the beer is naturally, or if the clear bottle led to a skunkful demise. The appearance was a light yellow, like straw. I don't like that in a beer, it leads you to believe there is little flavor... I guess that sounds about right. It wasn't that the lime is over-powering, there just isn't much flavor to it besides the slight skunk. The mouthfeel is thin, but not watery in taste really.

It's weird though, even though nothing really stands out in this beer, i would continue to drink it. If I were at a party with some friends and they had some ice cold coronas, what the hell right? Don't forget to put a lime in mine... better make that two slices...

thebarnesbomb, Jan 29, 2006
2.7/5  rDev +16.9%

While it may not be much of a beer for us " beer drinkers " , it is really good under the hot sun when your thirsty. ( lime is definatly mandatory for me , would NOT drink one without it. ) Nothing special , but very drinkable in certain situations . ( cutting grass , out on the beach and forgot to get better beer , ETC...)

Byeast, Jan 28, 2006
2.58/5  rDev +11.7%

No head, pale yellow, straw color, some sediment (or maybe dirt) at bottom of glass (plastic)
Smell? Couldn't detect one. Maybe some malt and hops, citrus.
Tried with and without lime. Better with lime as it adds flavor. Drink very cold and if not in Mexico and are broke.
Can drink many as its like water.

Mebuzzard, Jan 26, 2006
1.98/5  rDev -14.3%

A = a very pale lager that's just a few hues above water color.

S = smells like a typical macro beer of corn, and some hops with a skunky odor dominating.

T = very skunky tasting and without the lime to cover the horrible taste up, this would be undrinkable.

M = very thin and highly carbonated but slightly refreshing.

D = this is a lawnmower beer plain a simple. nothing special, really. I wouldn't waste my money on it when something like pbr or old style is available for less than half the price.

xduderx, Jan 24, 2006
2.03/5  rDev -12.1%

This beer was tasted in a pilsner glass from the bottle.

The color is a bright gold but the head has a hard time getting going and then what little head shows up fades quickly although there is a little foam the whole way down the beer. The smell and taste are the usual corn like flavor characteristic of the style but is very water down. The mouthfeel is waterery with sharp carbonation. Overall it is easy to drink but the carbonation is really harsh so it gets an slightly below average drinkability.

MSchae1017, Jan 07, 2006
2.6/5  rDev +12.6%

Corona is to beer what the hot brainless blond cheerleeder you went to high school with is to people. Looks great, but no substance. For some reason, that beer in a bottle that's just been pulled out of the ice and is condenced over is pretty near to the most appealing looking I've ever seen. I'm not sure why, I find this so asethetically pleasing since you could also argue pretty well that Corona's color is a dead ringer for urine. Anyway, this forced me to rate the rest of the attributes a little lower than I otherwise would have. First, because the price is a big turnoff imo and for that reason I don't think I'd reccomend this very often. They charge real premium beer prices for Corona, and that's ridiculous. There's no excuse. The quality sure as hell isn't justification, and neither is the fact that its an "import". How much more could it possibly cost to ship this to NJ than say Sierra Nevada? Anyway, the smell, taste, and feel are nothing to write home about. They aren' t good or bad, just extremely bland. There's a tiny bit of sweetness, a very vague notion of hops, you can tell this was better done than say Budwieser, and its got enough body that you won't mistake it for light beer. But that's it. Nothing much hear folks. The reason why lime does so much for Corona is because that's almost all you can taste if you drop in a lime wedge. This is in sharp contrast to the couple of "Whites" I've tried of late, which go well with citrus because the citrus compliments their own noticable flavor. The only time I reccomend Corona is if you plan on drinking beer at a barbeque all day, and its real hot out and someone else has paid for it(If I wasn't concerned about inflating the overall rating past what I think it deserves, I'd give Corona's drinkability a 5). Then its bland inoffensiveness would come in handy. Otherwise you could probably get yourself two of something that tastes much better for what Corona costs. Its not awful though. I might pay the ripoff price if all I could have was Corona, or one of our American "Big 3".

casualbeerman, Dec 30, 2005
1.58/5  rDev -31.6%

mmmm skunky! I could smell the skunk before I even poured it, and I wasn't sniffing the bottle. The smell of this beer is lightstruck plus yeast and maybe a little burro urine. It pours a decent golden color with no head whatsoever, even pouring into the middle of the glass didn't generate any head to speak of. The taste is sorta sweet, and sorta hoppy, but nothing you can really make out. It has a lingering aftertaste that I can't say I enjoy. Mouthfeel is actually pretty heavy and a little creamy, but does nothing to help the rest of the beer. All in all, it's not great. I won't be buying this again, especially at australian import prices.

Kulrak, Dec 26, 2005
1.65/5  rDev -28.6%

I have a hard time with this stuff, and I'm trying to keep in mind of how it's made for a hot and humid climate.

Appearance - Very light colored, nothing special. Very little head.

Smell - Ew. Just gross. Corn and alcohol, which shouldn't be true for something only 4.6%.

Taste - Not bad, not good, not pleasant. It is just kinda there. Small taste of beer, mostly watery.

Mouthfeel - Bad aftertaste, no good flavor lingers on.

Drinkability - So bad that I can't drink another. Maybe if I had just mowed a lawn, or was at the beach. But at a party or anything other than that, no way would I drink another.

GuinnessHero, Dec 11, 2005
2.83/5  rDev +22.5%

By all accounts this beer should be a bad beer. It pours like soda with almost no head that vanishes instantly. The color is something like urine, while the nose reminds me of my high school chemistry lab. By itself the beer tastes like many other macros. It feels nice going down, though, and it's easy to drink. When it's ice cold I am hard-pressed to find a better thirst-quencher than Corona on a hot day other than water. Now back to my first line. By all accounts this should be a bad beer, but...

But...

Stick a wedge of lime or two in it and you've got manna from heaven. I don't understand it. Does anyone else?

BassBone, Dec 09, 2005
1.88/5  rDev -18.6%

Pale Yellow, smell is skunked. My room mate described it best “it smells like your dads beer breath when he comes home from drinking”. The lime saves it a bit. But honestly there’s not much here. Maybe some floral hops and a quite malty after taste which I didn’t mind at all. Almost quite liked this malt. The whole mix is very plain.

I would hold a sixer of these for if alternative for water on a hot day.

Finite, Nov 25, 2005
1.05/5  rDev -54.5%

Yuck. As far as I am concerned, Corona is about the worst beer in the world. Lime/no lime - it doesnt matter. It tastes like crap either way. I wish I could be more contructive with this review, talking about the hidden flavors and whatnot, but I really can't. I'd take a natty light any day.

Lnedrive14, Nov 19, 2005
2.85/5  rDev +23.4%

poured a pale yellow color with unstoppable white puffy head. Smell is minimal with only a slight sweetish character found. Taste is also minimal but refreshing (maybe the lime helps with that) Finish is very mild, but not offensive. An easy to drink beer on a hot summer day.

tgbljb, Nov 16, 2005
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.