2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,126 | Reviews: 1,060 | Show All Ratings:
BierStein711

3.36/5  rDev +46.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from the bottle!

Two finger off white head, with passable retention

Pale gold in color

Smell: biscuity, grainy, and grassy

Taste: Biscuits, corn, and dry cereal malt at the finish

Mouthfeel: thin, but not too watery

Overall, this is a refreshing beer. I would have it again if it was the only choice.

02-01-2013 05:02:47 | More by BierStein711
tectactoe

1.94/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

I don't think I've ever poured this into a glass. You can see right through it, anyway, thanks to the clear bottle. It's the color of a well-hydrated man's piss, and I would imagine any kind of "head" that forms disappears within seconds. The smell is.... well, the smell is kind of absent, to say the least. Corn, graininess, and a metallic tone. What I usually do is squeeze and drop a lime wedge into this one. Then it just smells like lime. The one lime wedge over-powers every other aroma. Taste is basically the same, crispy and dry from intense carbonation; corns, grains, the palest of all malt flavors. Musky hops, but not enough to really matter or make it bitter. More steel flavors. I've had many skunky bottles, but I've also had plenty that were fine. But again, if you drop the lime it, it pretty much takes over the entire flavor profile, which probably isn't a bad thing. Thin body, crispy as fuck.

Corona was my "go-to" beer before I got into craft. Now that I realize what's out there, it's kind of funny that I ever found this stuff "tasty". But even to this day, I'd still take it over a Bud Light. As long as I can drop a lime in and sprinkle the neck with salt.

01-31-2013 16:39:59 | More by tectactoe
mfnmbvp

2.7/5  rDev +17.9%

12 oz. bottle, no apparent bottled on date or bottling information, poured into a miniature type pint glass with a little slice of lime squeezed into it.

A - Attains the typical pale clean adjunctive urine colored lager look with now a little bit of lime pulp floating around in it.

S - Pale malty nothingness. Corn husk. Some lime fruit juice now because of the lime I squeezed in there. Doesn't smell the greatest, but we all know what to expect with this one.

T - Ahh, the Corona and lime taste that everyone knows. American adjunctiveness paired with some fresh lime. Far better than rip-off beers that followed like Miller Chill and Bud Light Lime, that's for damn sure. Everyone enjoys the taste of a cold savory Corona Extra with a lime squeezed into it on a fiery summer day.

M - Pale dry quick corn mealy finish, with of course the lime, if you so choose to have one. Nothing to brag about, but satisfying enough.

Overall, a pleasantly refreshing adjunct, alcoholic water-type beer if there ever was one. Squeeze a lime into it, and enjoy the 100 degrees temperature any time.

Corona Extra ---2.5/5

01-30-2013 23:48:16 | More by mfnmbvp
flagmantho

Washington

2.15/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from 24oz tall can into a pint glass. I just wish that I reviewed this when I was in Mexico!

Appearance: light straw-yellow hue with a haze free body and a pretty strong effervescence. Head is a thin finger of frothy white foam which dissipated quickly with no lace. Par for the style, I suppose.

Smell: kind of a light, dusty-plastic aroma with perhaps a hint of wet grain. Not the worst thing in the world, but really not too good for even an adjunct lager.

Taste: sweet malt with perhaps a bit of corn to it. Not bad, but the aftertaste is a bit grimmer, with more of that plastic character. I gotta say, I've had worse macro lagers, but this still isn't too good.

Mouthfeel: light body with a strong carbonation and a light but surprising foaminess in the mouth. I don't want to call it creamy, but at least there's *something* going on here.

Overall: I don't love this beer, but I will admit I enjoyed a couple of them on the beach in Mexico. That's really about the only context in which you'll want to drink one of these.

Serving type: can

01-26-2013 22:48:45 | More by flagmantho
Weston19

1.19/5  rDev -48%

A: Beer pours a straw yellow color. Virtually no head and whatever lace remains also diminishes rather quickly.

S: Old corn, skunky, and that's all I really smell. Just a bad smell overall.

T: Terrible. If you really try you can kind of get some of the corn taste but that could be just wishful thinking on my part. It's bitter and pretty bland. Virtually no flavor other than what I said before.

OA: I've had my fair share of Mexican beers from buddies you love them but this has got to be the worst one I've ever had. No one I know buys it and from what I hear, this is considered one of the low end beers of Mexico. I have no idea why this beer costs so much in the States.

01-23-2013 00:14:37 | More by Weston19
SometimesIfart

1.14/5  rDev -50.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

This is my second review of Corona. The first review was sometime in June when I was just getting into craft beer.

A - Pours light urine yellow with a one finger soapy white head that quickly dissipates. Leaves no lacing

S - Wet sour grain, Salt

T - Virtually follows the nose. Some wet sour grain, a bit salty in the middle and an unbearable rotten rice finish

M - Light watery body with heavy thick carbonation.

O - Overall, This is horrible. I don't see how my friend can handle this as his session beer. This is disgusting. The flavor is almost as bad, If not worse than Steel reserve.

01-22-2013 23:19:14 | More by SometimesIfart
jazzyjeff13

United Kingdom (England)

2.35/5  rDev +2.6%

A 710ml clear glass bottle with a BB of April 2013. Picked up from a B&M store recently. Time for a classic macro - go big or go home!

Poured into a straight pint glass. A clear pale-gold colour with good carbonation. Forms a large head of white foam that lasts for a minute or so before subsiding to a thin surface layer. Aroma of faint malt with hints of corn, overcooked veg and stewed leaves. Dry and slightly harsh.

Tastes of ultra light malt with a watery character and a dry finish. Mild hints of corn, stewed veggies, harsh leaves and a faint sweetness. Highly attenuated, with some unpleasantly acrid off-notes in the background. A very subtle bitterness upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is thin, watery and dry, with tingly carbonation. Rather astringent, with an aftertaste of faint corn/stewed veg and a residual harshness.

Meh - a pretty crappy macro lager. I've had this plenty of times when I was younger (and more ignorant). Initially it wasn't quite as bad as I expected, but hints of corn quickly materialise as it starts to warm up. Very bland, with almost no aroma and little flavour to speak of. It's just not that good and has to be ice-cold to be palatable. Don't follow in the footsteps of millions; instead give it a miss and drink something good.

01-14-2013 22:19:43 | More by jazzyjeff13
jjamadorphd

2.99/5  rDev +30.6%

From the time I joined BeerAdvocate I've made it a point to drink beers I haven't had before. Recently I realized that there are plenty of beers I have tried before joining this site and have since. The more mainstream beers I've avoided rating, but here goes another one...the favorite of many - Corona Extra.

Out of the bottle the beer pours a very nice amber color, and I feel, if you hold it up to the light just right, you'll see an orange tinge to it. Unfortunately, it pours out almost no head (you really have to shake the bottle some to get a small head to appear, which then dissipates instantly. There's something about a beer with no head I just don't find appealing.

The smell is your standard hops, barley, and malt, nothing special, and the taste pretty much follows in the same vain. Mouthfeel was good - no stickiness, just the right amount of carbonation, and it downed quite easily. Overall, an average beer with really good marketing...

01-13-2013 15:29:47 | More by jjamadorphd
AAG

2.13/5  rDev -7%

Well, I've drank a thousand of these over the years but as a BA novice, I'm just reviewing it now. Poured it from a bottle (no expiration date) into a stein...should have used a pint glass but went with the stein b/c it was most accessible.

Appearance - Transparent, highly carbonated, light, gold color. Initially had about a 1/2 a thumb's worth of head but it quickly dissipated (within 15 seconds). Slight lacy, head on the side of the stein as I drink it.

Smell - Sweet, grainy, yeast-like smell. Hard to identify the source of the sweetness. I have to confess, I enjoy the smell of a Corona (I know this puts me in the BA community minority!).

Taste - Highly carbonated, very-light; compared to the recent (higher quality) beers that I've drank it is almost tasteless. Not much to really write about here....below average in terms of robustness of taste. No hoppiness detected.

Mouthfeel - Below average, not very pleasing on the palate due to plain taste and high carbonation.

Overall - It is what I always knew it was - a nice light beer to drink if you are having a Mexican meal, it's hot outside, and you plan on drinking 10 or so beers. Otherwise, very plain light beer that's not worth writing home about.

01-01-2013 00:48:18 | More by AAG
chinchill

South Carolina

2.13/5  rDev -7%

12 oz bottle pours a yellow-gold color with lots of visible carbonation. Sure enough, the carbonation level is high; probably a good thing given the light and watery body.
Aroma? ,,, what aroma? Oh, there it is: adjunct (corn) light lager with some doughy malt. Flavor to match.

O: Corona Extra managed to exceed my very low expectations. No particular flaws excepting the remarkably low levels of hops and malts, and high level of corn in the nose and flavor. Only good as a thirst quenching cold beverage where I would indeed prefer this to water on occasion.

12-30-2012 19:55:35 | More by chinchill
Giancarlo

Ehhh... It sucks. It's basically fermented Mexican piss.

You can somewhat enjoy it with a lemon. But even with the taste of lemon in it I give it a poor rating.

It's not as bad as other mainstream beers such as budlight and coors light. But i wouldn't suggest drinking this at all.

If you want a light mainstream beer then drink Stella Artois!

12-23-2012 08:17:39 | More by Giancarlo
JG-90

2.51/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Bottle into shaker

A - small bubbly head, quickly dissipates to no head with a small amount of bubbles around the edge. pale yellow color

S - not much aroma, a little bread, yeast, tiny amount of unknown sweetness

T - i like this for a cheap beer. it had a bit of a strange sweetness to it, but that is not enough to make it bad. It had a nice light flavor, there is nothing special (nothing special was expected).

M - light, high carbonation

O - I think that corona is a good low price beer. I like how it is lighter than comparable beers, and has a more distinct flavor.

12-11-2012 03:11:13 | More by JG-90
WorldRacer2013

1.65/5  rDev -27.9%

Overall this beer is under the category of "piss-water" for me. It is unique with the corn flavor it gives in both taste and smell, however it isn't anything fancy and quite frankly it sickened me after a few beers.

If your looking for a beer of great quality I cannot advise you to chase after this beer, however if your just looking to get hammered go for it.

12-01-2012 23:24:37 | More by WorldRacer2013
WilliamAlbrecht

2.85/5  rDev +24.5%

Appearance: It looks like liquid gold. What can I say? Don't judge a book by its cover. This is NOT a good brew. With less than a half of an inch head that quickly fades! Little to NO lacing!

Smell: Bittersweet malts..I get a hint of them--but I am not enticed.

Taste: A bit sweet, and definitely bitter. Doomed from the start with its clear glass. Trust me, the taste is not befitting of its multi million dollar ad campaign. Utterly waste of time drinking this. If you haven't had Corona before, trust me, skip this and introduce yourself to class brews!

Mouthfeel: I enjoy a bit of carbonation, but Corona kicks it into another gear. Perhaps in the desire to have someone believe their thirst is actually being quenched. The skunk like feel in your mouth is also ever so present. This is not a quality beer. I'm sorry for being so repetitive!

Overall- Below average. Not particularly impressed. I wouldn't rush out to buy a six pack or get me a serving on draft. In fact, I wouldn't drink this..again..period.

Serving type: I've had this on tap and in bottle before. I've had this in the US of A and straight from a brewery before as well. It's not good.

12-01-2012 05:22:49 | More by WilliamAlbrecht
gory4d

2.73/5  rDev +19.2%

Corona Familiar bottle. Pours a clear yellow with a thin head that goes away fast. The smell is some grain and maybe faint rubbing alcohol. The taste is about the same, what little there is of it. It's refreshing in its way, pretty fizzy. Not a good beer, but inoffensive when not skunked.

11-29-2012 16:13:56 | More by gory4d
kshizzle101

Washington

2.55/5  rDev +11.4%

poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass

A - clear straw colored. a half inch head which disappears almost immediately

S - smells coppery, a hint of sweet malts, but not that appetizing

T - Plain tasting, very little hoppiness, some malts at the back end. some sweetness

M - very light bodied, and a little over carbonated.

Overall - Goes down smooth but almost no taste to it. Pretty subpar.

11-28-2012 03:35:11 | More by kshizzle101
angrybabboon

Rhode Island

1.53/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Reviewed 11/27/12

Note: 500th review posted to BA. A 24oz bottle of Corona Extra. It's happening.

Appearance: Crystal clear, golden yellow - pours with virtually no head - the fizzy, white head fades nearly instantly, leaves a tiny ring - not bubbly, clearly lacking carbonation - absolutely no lacing - gets a point for clarity, but otherwise falls flat (literally)

Smell: Mmm... the enticing aroma of a dead skunk sprinkled with sugar - this is the definition of light-struck beer (maybe the canned version isn't skunked, but the clear bottles imply that the skunk is clearly intentional) - beyond the skunk, there are some very sweet grains - nothing else in the aroma, period (could be worse, I suppose)

Taste: Grainy, watery, weird - sweet grains, sugar packets, corn - a little musty, with some corn husk - flat seltzer water - minimal bitterness, with some grass - sugary, gritty, strange aftertaste - bad, but it's not making me gag

Mouthfeel: Light, lacking carbonation, not clean, not crisp, watery, fails at being a lager

Overall: The triumph of marketing over sanity

I have a long legacy of hatred towards this beer. It was one of the first beers I ever had, and I thought it was terrible, even then (even compared to other gems like Bud Light). Now, it's time to bury the hatchet. This is my 500th review. So when I say, "Corona sucks," I now have evidence to back up my claim. "But, bro, you don't get it, Corona is great on a hot day, just imagine yourself on the beach!" No. That's marketing. Damn fine marketing, too. You know what's good on a hot day? A cold beverage. Corona does have the potential to be cold, but it's not good. Ever.

Side note: Why did I choose this for my 500th review? In some ways I have Corona to thank for inspiring me to explore craft beer. I disliked Corona so much that I felt compelled to find better beer. And I did. Th-thanks, Corona.

11-27-2012 06:26:35 | More by angrybabboon
Tone

Missouri

3.03/5  rDev +32.3%

Pours a clear, straw color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Slight retention and poor lacing. Smells of sweet malt, slight pale malt, hint of hop, and adjunct. Fits the style of an American Adjunct Lager. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of slight sweet malt, pale malt, slight hop, and adjunct. Overall, weak appearance, aroma, and body, but decent mouth feel, and blend.

11-16-2012 13:39:28 | More by Tone
ConsumerOfBeer

Maryland

3.58/5  rDev +56.3%

Before I do my review, I must add that it will be including a lime added to the beer, since that enhances it and is the only way to drink it!

A: Light, golden in color. Does not produce as great a head as you'd think. Looks like a light beer.

S: For some reason it has a cheap sort of smell. A bit corny, sweet, and hoppy but nothing special.

T: Paired with a lime, I have to say it's a pleasure to drink. Don't over analyze this and say "oh it needs a lime...". Yes it does, but it makes it much better. This is very drinkable and anyone who says it's not is delirious.

M: Less carbonated than many other common beers. The lime just adds that something "Extra" that Carona needs... acidity!

O: A very drinkable beer. Not the fullest in flavor, but its something that everyone will like. This beer is way overpriced however, and that is a huge flaw for me as you can find a beer just as good or better for a cheaper price.

11-14-2012 08:01:44 | More by ConsumerOfBeer
beergoot

Colorado

2.08/5  rDev -9.2%

7 ounce bottle (Coronita Extra)

Fizzy, pale yellow body with a nice white head; lacing and foam clings to the glass. Smells like unwashed ass and rancid popcorn (my wife says 'dandelions'!). Definitely an adjunct lager as far as taste goes: light grain, perhaps a rice-like flavor; barely perceptible bitterness; slight undefinable sweetness. Fizzy, watery mouthfeel.

An outstanding dull and boring lager! I can't explain the smell discrepancy between my wife and myself, but there is definitely a rank aroma to this bottle. Distinctive taste and flavoring is nearly non-existent. A perfect beer for those looking for easy drinking blandness...

11-14-2012 02:02:43 | More by beergoot
mvanaskie13

poured into a pint glass, color is straw nearly any carbonation (?) - head is bright white, presents as 1/4 thick but dissipates to ring and then laces. i can count the bubbles

smell is all adjunct and over sweet, somewhat corny and grainy.

taste is paper thin, off adjunct flavors throughout, maybe a hint of pils in there with some lighter bitterness presenting.

mouthfeel is surprisingly not sharp from carbonation, but somewhat off from the flavors

overall, worse then i remember - maybe because the lime helps that much.

10-16-2012 23:11:32 | More by mvanaskie13
DavoleBomb

Poured into a pils glass. Though I fully acknowledge that this beer is horribly crafted, I find myself craving it a couple times a year.

2.0 A: Clear light yellow color. Fizzy white head fell almost as fast as it formed.

2.0 S: Metallic, skunky, adjuncts, and graininess. Unique in the AAL world.

2.0 T: "Foamy" corn and rice, mild skunk, metal and a light graininess.

2.0 M: Light body. A bit overcarbonated to the point of bity. No creaminess.

2.0 D: Without the lime there is nothing good about this, though this isn't even close to the worst AAL. Perhaps the only reason I crave this every so often is that I'm craving the lime. I can't do the review with a lime since that isn't what the brewer bottled. Oh well.

10-15-2012 23:53:41 | More by DavoleBomb
freditoj

Alabama

2.23/5  rDev -2.6%

Drank it from a bottle with a lemon slice on top. This is the classic way to drink this beer. It has a very clear yellow color and transparent. The aroma was hard to gauge as I had already squeezed the lemon into it. The flavor was somewhat hoppy and the lemon gave a very refreshing flavor to the beer. It was a very refreshing drink. Overall I think that this is a good beer if you add lemon to it and it is very refreshing.

09-29-2012 20:06:40 | More by freditoj
mattcrill

1.7/5  rDev -25.8%

Aroma: Sweet corn-like aroma, slight skunk character, and saltine cracker-like character in the background. No hop or malt presence detected.

Appearance: Fizzy, pale yellow, crystal clear with no head retention.

Flavor: Very watery up front, a little bit of white bread character, some corn flavor, and a hint of skunk all dominate the palate. Finish is clean and dry.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, high carbonation. No warmth, creaminess, or astringency.

Overall impression: Meh. It is what it is. The skunk character is a little too much for me and I'm assuming it's a bottle characteristic because I've had the tap version and it's somewhat tolerable. If I wasn't in Cancun looking over the Gulf this would be a horrible way to spend a New Beer Sunday. Given the overall purpose, I'm willing to overlook this issue. Won't ever have again unless I'm stuck in a Mexican resort.

09-23-2012 20:04:19 | More by mattcrill
sennoma

American Samoa

3.95/5  rDev +72.5%

Ah, poor Corona, everyone hates you. But not me. Light, clear, clean and refreshing -- appearance, smell and taste all follow each other beautifully. Light on the hops but not weak, carbonation is just right for an "easy drinking" beer. Mouthfeel is just a touch on the watery side, if I have to be really critical.

Eminently drinkable. My go-to beer, available everywhere and never fails to refresh. Not for the adventurous, but one doesn't always want to be Sir Ranulph Wossname.

09-04-2012 01:53:04 | More by sennoma
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.