Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,152 | Hads: 4,404
2.24/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

I remember the first time I saw a girl nekkid. I was glistening with joy and excited about the fruits I was about to partake of. After it was over I thought to myself that was the greatest thing ever. Then i met a real woman and saw her nekkid and she blew my mind and I totally forgot about the first girl. Well Corona is the first nekkid chick I saw. Forgettable (365 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +70.7%

Years ago I was down in Mexico City. A couple of brothers like to race cars on the weekend, and they took me out to a race track way out past Pachuca. All the racers were just weekend warriors. One guy just took some duct tape and pasted a number on the door of his street car. That was the vehicle he raced in. The brothers had some higher tech and despite being sidelined having to replace a gasket, they still got second that day.

I remember the hot August sun beating down on us, and what was probably the least attractive girl in all of Mexico that they fixed me up with. But all the Mexicans were drinking Coronas. I figured, hey, when in Rome....

On a hot day, a cold Corona is a beautiful sight with that golden color and the sweat beads collecting on the bottle. It's not heavy. It's not a designer beer. It's not an IPA, but it's got a great taste and it's perfect for quenching a thirst built up in the August Mexican sun. (944 characters)

Corona has its place - best enjoyed while floating around on something inflatable, with a slice of lime jammed into the neck. Sampling this beer from a glass was strange. It is no better or worse that your usual macros. Suited for quenching thirst - end of story. (263 characters)

look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

So I am not afraid to say that I truly enjoy a corona with lime on a hot summer day! With that said - I tried it without a lime and it was really tough to drink. Skunky, murky and strange. I will continue to drink it in the summer at times but it makes me wonder what the lime is covering up… I would give it a 3.25 overall with the lime but I am trying to just rate the beer here and I think I may have been generous ;) (426 characters)

2.58/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Reviewed at long last, one of several consumed over the Christmas break in Cabo San Lucas. An embarrassing previous staple of mine and the sort of thing you want to kick someone for daring to drink here, yet loaded with nostalgia and primed via years of social conditioning that says "skunked corn actually tastes GOOD"! Everyone knows the color but for posterity's sake its bright yellow and has pretty minimal white fizz rimming the glass. Smells like creamed corn seasoned with a nondescript apple-like fruitiness due to under-aging with a dash of skunky marsh vegetation. True to form, I do find this to be the corniest of the mainstream Mexican fizz parade, with corn bread and DMS cooked veggie flavors running the show. Sweeter and breadier than Pacifico with subtle apple and citrus notes. Some people claim they can taste a hint of lime in this even without the iconic wedge added. Sure, although its probably a mirage. I'd actually say the carbonation is moderate. Thin, watery, and finishes predictably sweet with a bare hint of grass. The corn and skunk elements do add some character than is missing from American examples of the style (but see my above remark about conditioning. Don't mistake this preference for "good beer"). Most people pay little attention when drinking this but I suggest you do so, for educational purposes if nothing else. Skip the lime too, at least once. (1,395 characters)

2.49/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Corona’s very light in taste, mild, clean with no bitterness and has a rather thin tasting watery feel. It’s flavour is minimal, but on a hot day it quenches the thirst. (173 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -8.1%

I can't understand how people drop $24 - $26 a case on this beer and then proclaim it's something drastically different and superior to the traditional American adjunct lagers. This is a subpar beer, overpriced and bland, and would be commendable for its sole purpose to be consumed on a beach with a citrus wedge if it wasn't so astronomically expensive. Modelo, while by no means great, is much more flavorful and heavier - probably why it's not as big of a sessionable beer (although its sales blow Corona out of the water at the particular liquor store I work at). (568 characters)

Review: Bottle of Corona Extra lager, 4.6%ABV

One of the beers to drink when it’s summer, Corona is a light beer that has a great refreshing taste, especially in the hot sun.

The flavours are not overwhelming making the beer go down smooth and easily. It’s a beer that everyone can drink and very suitable for a party. No bloated feeling after drinking a few Corona’s.

The appearance has a clear pale straw yellow body. After pouring a small white head appears that dissipates very quickly. Not much lacing. It has a mild, clean, subtle lager aroma, that smells of light, sweet cornbread

Corona’s very light in taste, mild, clean with no bitterness and has a rather thin tasting watery feel. It’s flavour is minimal, but on a hot day it quenches the thirst. (775 characters)

I see this is rated lowly. Once again, i don't really know what you all are comparing this to. It doesn't remotely compare to Sierra Nevada Pale ale or Any of that. compared to budweiser and others in its class its a step up. (226 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -32.4%

I cannot lie about this beer...

it's not worthy of your typical BeerAdvocate review.....

Flat out, this beer sucks. It's sold as more expensive than pabst, but that doesn't mean it's any beter.

This beer is just a "fancy" pabst blue ribbon. heavy enunciation on the quotation marks. there is honestly nothing good to say about this beer. it's complete butt. buy it if you wanna look cool at your high school party. otherwise, stay away. nothing to see here, keep it moving. (480 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +82.9%

I created an account and gave this beer a 5 simply to try and offest all the terribly negative reviews. This is a mass-produced pale lager. It's not going to be anything like your supah-fancy exquiste craft brews. Alone, without the customary lime, it is sorta nasty and smells skunky. And it looks like straight up piss. But add that magical slice of lime- make sure to squeeze out all the juices, I mean really lime it up, use a gigantic slice of lime, and BAM, you have a kick-ass refreshing beverage. Sure- it's not really the beer we are reviewing at this point, more of a beer-lime shandy type thing, but my god, it is refreshing and delicious. Tell me a better beer to put a lime in. This blows Bud Light Lime out of the water. It is cheap and refreshing. Also, by sheer chance, my review averaged out to a rating of 4.20. Blaze up fellow beer advocates. And suck my lime flavored dick for dissing on Corona. (915 characters)

Serving Type: 330 mL Bottle

In a time when the weather is going rapidly downhill, I snagged a 12 pack of bottles to remind of my last trip to Mexico.

A- Pours a pale golden colour that is topped by a thin, quickly dissipating head. Not exactly what I would call a desirable appearance but it fills the void.

S- The aroma of this beer is intensely bready. Mainly biscuits in the nose. A little bit of harsh alcohol in the nose as well.

T- When most people stuff a wedge of lime into your beer, that's a pretty good hint that you shouldn't expect much from the taste. Tastes a bit like sweet corn that is finished by an odd sour bitterness that is quite off-putting. No wonder people usually put a lime in.

M- The only thing that Corona really has going for it is the mouthfeel. Beautifully crisp and refreshing. Medium carbonation with practically no body.

O- If you have a warm day on the Gulf of Mexico, a white sand beach, and a lime, you have the perfect time for a Corona. Otherwise, I wouldn't go out of my way to obtain this brew. (1,045 characters)

Review based on the BJCP2008 guidelines (style 1C). Bottle 35.5 cl - Batch LA 040915. AROMA: faint sweet and corn’ish like aroma. very faint hop aromas. APPEARANCE: pale straw color and translucent. thin white head with poor retention. TASTE: extremely watered down cereal flavour. low bitterness with a dry finish. no hop flavour. PALATE: thin body with medium carbonation. OVERALL: a watered down premium lager that lacks the "premium". (440 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -21.2%

Probably the most overrated, overhyped, and over-marketed beer of all time. The popularity of this beer proves that strategic marketing can sell millions of beers, not the taste or quality of the product. The brew has a watery,sour grain and flat taste that can be rather repulsive. People that defend this beer always say "you have to drink it with lime!" I understand where they are coming from, the lime masks the bland taste and adds some flavour. Lime should never need to be added in order to make a beer tolerable. It amazes me how popular corona extra is and how they try to position it as a premium brew. This is proof that marketing and presenting a certain image with beer does NOT reflect a quality product. (722 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I certainly agree with others on this site that Corona is not good beer. It is a very tepid AAL, and not much more can be said about it. The color is a light yellow. A couple others said it looks like urine. They are not wrong. I drink it at my local Tex Mex joint on Corona Thursdays. Special low price, as it should be. I wedge a lime in the neck of the bottle to pretend there's something flavorful about this beer. But there really isn't. Aroma is not rotten vegetables, though. It's just faint corn grains, nothing special. No head to speak of. The taste is weak, but smooth. Mouthfeel is acceptable. It's an acceptable, mediocre beer. You can drink a few at a time and it's not going to faze you. Get it on special and wedge that lime in. Enough said. (773 characters)

Pours a transparent yellow with no head. The smell was rather skunky. The taste was pretty average with a sweet beginning and then a skunky aftertaste that lingered for a while.
It is what it is. (195 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance – Crystal clear yellow colour like urine (sorry but it is true). Tiny white lace head that does not retain well at all.

Smell – Pretty heavy aroma of ethonal alcohol, aromas of sulphur stewed vegetables and an odd fusty smell that is very unpleasant.

Taste – Flavours of cooked corn with some light sweetness. A tiny amount of Hop bitterness helps to make it drinkable but this is basically a bland vehicle for alcohol.

Mouthfeel – Crisp carbonation holds a light to medium body. Zero linger as there is little flavour to speak of.

Overall – Popular with the 18 to 20 somethings at university. This beer is really only drinkable with half a lime wedged in the neck of the bottle and chilled to the point were your taste buds can’t tell what you are actually drinking. (796 characters)

Is this beer? I will drink this if someone pays for it in the summer and there is nothing else to drink. I think its quite insulting to call this beer to be honest. Yes its refreshing but its not beer... Its a soft drink! (221 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +46.4%

Pours a golden yellow, with a somewhat light flavor, but somewhat refreshing despite this. For what it is, it's quite good. To really open up the flavor, add a wedge of lime. I find Corona to be an underrated brew. It's not the best, but it certainly isn't awful, and it's far better than other mass produced beers. Enjoyable around summer time. (346 characters)

I gotta give this piss water a 5. Yes it taste horrible, yes it probably does have some pee in it. But this beer was my first beer ever. And that's special to me. It's gotten me hella wasted, it's gotten me into a lot of fun. Most of all it brings great memories of me relaxing on a beach with my wife. This is THE vacation beer. But once summer is over I do not drink this piss water! Ugh seasonal all the way (410 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -2.7%

Last time I had a Corona was in my dad's garage with some Mexicans. I don't quite remember liking it very much, and that was about 6 years ago. $1 special, right here.

Serving style : 12 oz glass bottle, poured for appearance

Appearance (2) : Sudsy white 1 finger head with a bubbly champagne-like appearance. Light gold/hay color with carbonation bubbles lining the body of the glass.

Smell (2.75) : While I was pouring it this really gross dirty diaper/urine smell permeated the air. As I lean in close and sniff the glass, I get a more pleasant scent. Buttered biscuit, cracker, aluminum or tin, mossy water, and some hay. Slightly above average.

Taste (2) : Refreshing but has an off-putting sour corn bitterness. It's really not a horrible taste, but it isn't good, either. I feel like if I drink more of it I will get sick because it's fermented. Ugh. Tin and fermentation. I do honestly feel I will get sick if I drink more. Sour corn, bitter grass, just something rotting. It keeps coming back. Rotting. Does "don't drink the water" in Mexico translate to "don't drink the beer"?

Mouthfeel (2.5) : Slightly creamy but mostly carbonated.

Overall (2.07) : I do feel like I wasted a dollar. I'm not kidding. I will probably pour the rest of this down the drain for fear of illness. Never ever felt that way about a beer before this one. I'd avoid it if I were you. Worst part is, over half the beer is left. Probably the worst lager I've had in a long time, if not ever. (1,482 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -7.2%

I wanted to review one of the most commercial beer on earth.
I know why they use a clear bottle because the beer is so clear inside the glasse that I can see my finger holding the glasse.
About the smell, there is no smell at all ! I couldn't smell anything from that beer.
Light carbonation, like the color of the beer I guess.
It's a watery beer more than I will say the Coors Light. It's a big zero for the taste.
With the lime, it remind me of the Bud Light Lime. Nothing to special about it.
Without the Lime I will give a 2 and with the lime a 2,25/5. I mean this beer doesn't pass for me and for the price forget about it, you can get much better for the same price (Hoegaarden, 1664 blanc, Boreale Red Ale, even the Pabst will do better than this beer and for cheaper)
So would I recommend it ? Only if its a very hot summer day, you find it on special, have some lime, and need some water/beer then YES, but otherwise its a NO. Its just a big commercial beer. (970 characters)

This stuff, like most Mexican beers, is simply bad. With or without the lime. A marketing made swill, at best. I'd rather have a malt liquor... and before anyone accuses me of being an affluent beer snob, I am a seasoned biker who tolerates Pabst, on occasion, because it's cheap, not too horrible, and often the only non-light beer at a biker clubhouse. But I won't touch Corona. (380 characters)

1.62/5  rDev -27%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle poured in mason jar beer mug
A free beer on a hot Sunday
A- light straw color with no head
S- stale corn
T- very carbonated skunky type crap
M- very very faint
O- Not a good experience, waste of someone's money who gave to me, back to Prima Pils for me this evening! (279 characters)

look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Realistically this is Chupacabra piss.. Everyone knows that.. So there is no need to go through a normal(A,S,T,M,O) review.. But c'mon on a hot summer day an ice cold Corona with a lime wedge reminds me of a simpler time of chasing booty at a pool party.. So for that I have a soft spot in my heart.. Thanks for the memories Corona (331 characters)

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.