Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Corona Extra | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

YOUR RATING = None |
awful
awful
Read the review

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Reviews: 1,195 | Ratings: 4,659
2.25/5  rDev +0.9%

i've only had this 6x before. i picked up a 24oz. to celebrate the fantastic Peugeot Carbolite 103 bike i picked up for $10 the other day at a thrift store.

serving type: bottle (i think this is the only way)
appearance: morning piss. yellow. yummy!
smell: similar to a hefeweizen.
taste: light piss. literally no taste. little malt and finishes slightly bready.
mouthfeel: pretty decent actually. better than the rainier lager i drank before this.
drinkability: i'm not a fan of this beer. it's easy to drink but i feel retarded for buying it since it's promoted everywhere and they have lots of slobs trying to be cool and wearing their logo. and the fact that college kids and girls would really like this makes me not want to buy or drink it. if something bad happened and i wanted some beer to down this would work perfect or if it was real hot and i was bored.

2.41/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance: a clear golden yellow with a white head that fades and leaves no lacing as I drink it.

Tastes: a crisp super light beer that drinks easy like water with a little taste of skunked American lager.

Overall: not different from the clear 12oz bottles in my opinion, and I don't know if I would buy this with my own money honestly, but it was a gift from my friend at work who gave it to me as one of his staples from back home. Thanks Jose!!!

2.4/5  rDev +7.6%

Had the misfortune or opportunity to sample this in cancun, mexico during last year's spring break. At about 20 pesos ($2) for a 1-liter bottle, it was the best value for the money at the local shops. Definitly has a thicker body than corona extra and i enjoyed the taste more than corona extra (which doesnt say much). It has a definite malt sweetness to it. I have yet to see this in america.
Every other bottle i purchased was either labled 6.0 percent alcohol or 4.5 percent alcohol. Only in mexico .... but it was a damn good time.

3.7/5  rDev +65.9%

I like a Corona once in a while. I drink it without the lime as much as with the lime. I am a wild and crazy guy. (Props to the great Steve Martin.)

I think the thing to remember about Corona is that it is meant to be for laid back feelings; to promote a Zenful relaxation, if you will. Therefore, there is an inherent gentleness to Corona that beer extremists would not have an appreciation for. But then, there is truly nothing extreme about Corona whatsoever. It is not meant to overpower the senses; it is meant to lightly caress them. Thus, we believe the viseral qualities that we have come to expect from our usual potables to be left wanting when, in actuality, we are provided with subtle hints of joy.

Perhaps less really is more. That's how I see it anyway.

With Respect for Beer,
MikeInIowa

1.53/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I think the commercials on TV are all this beer has going for it. The lime was of better quality than the beer. I would rather of had bottled water for refreshment, a coke for taste. This was they absolute worst beer I've had...PBR is better. Corona means "crown"...I'd say they earned the crown of skunk beer.

4.66/5  rDev +109%

I have to admit, I wasn't sure what to make of this beer before I tried it. A friend of mine told me that I should try it so I did. This is one of my favorite beers that I have tried. The smell of a Corona is unpleasant and skunky at first, but the taste is great. The appearance is a yellowish color and looks very good at first sight.Some people say adding a lime wedge to your Corona will make it taste even better. I recommend this beer to anyone.

1.93/5  rDev -13.5%

Don’t let this beer fool you with its appealing bottle and golden colour, because it’s just another adjunct. I don’t know if it’s cheaper in its native Mexico, but where I purchased it was double the price than any other beer, and not any better. It has a famous name and a nice bottle, and not much else.

This is an awful beer. Don’t buy it.

2.4/5  rDev +7.6%

I have had a number of these beers in my less informed days. Yet I have never had one in a glass. I have had them in the bottle with a lime and even in a can with a lime. It is a light golden color with little aroma. Its nothing really special tasting either like most mass produced beers. But I’m here to say that given the right situation this is a beer that I could drink. Going out to a Mexican restaurant to eat you almost have to have a corona. Or on the beach a corona is not a bad choice but other then a few situations I would suggest to pass. Must have a lime to drink it. Do not attempt it with out the lime.

2.93/5  rDev +31.4%

Something about drinking Corona and eating spicy grilled food!

A- Very light yellow. Not impressive at all.

S- A skunky smell by itself. (no wonder a lime down it’s neck is recommended.)

T- Without the lime not very nice. With the lime, much , much better!

M- Very light not full or filling. Refreshing.

D- Drinkability is good. I can easily put a few of these back while I eat spicy grilled food.

I would recommend this beer only with the lime and do not pour it in a glass! It needs to filter through the lime as it does in the bottle.

4.01/5  rDev +79.8%

A: Yellow corny, with a white head

S: I like this beer, BUT NOT for the smell, very skunk to weedy smell

T: this beer is a crisp corn & lite hoppy good with or without lime or limon

M: fizzy combination

D: YES on a cold or hot day (especially)... the beer does taste rather bad when hot almost undrinkable, so Ice cold is the way to go. The Party beer IMO

1.2/5  rDev -46.2%

A: Looks like liquid waste. Very pale yellow-white

S: Nothing there, smells like water (or a light tea)

T: Tastes like a low budget beer flavored water.

M: None. About as thick as water.

D: Refreshing, and drinkable... not enjoyable.

Overall: Drinkable... but that is it. This is another beer in which it would be more enjoyable (and cheaper) just to go with water.

2.2/5  rDev -1.3%

The quintessential beach beer. We have quite a few beaches in Minnesota, but you are far better off drinking Summit or Grainbelt up in the North Woods. Don't bring this week shit up around me. The one thing I will say is that I was a little surprised at the abundance of malt I felt... still crappy though

2.5/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Straw yellow pale color with medium head formation and little lace retention. Aromas with minimal presence of malts and little hops, very much bitter in smell notes. Tastes of little malts with bitterness. Finishes dry and with the lime in the bottle and the beach can be a decent avergae macro beer.

1.58/5  rDev -29.1%

I drank this without the lime.

A: Bright sun yellow, head disappears almost instantly. Looks better inside than out of the bottle for some odd reason.

S: Not much really, maybe some alcohol.

T: Not much either. It is a bit like drinking water. There is a little bit of hop to be found there and some some mild bitterness at the end.

M: Very light with some grains and distant alcohol.

D: Goes down just easily as water which is pretty much what I deem this to be. Good for teenagers who are not quite used to alcohol yet but want to drink a lot.

I now understand why people put lime into this because otherwise it doesn't taste like much.

1.95/5  rDev -12.6%

How Corona can call this brew "Extra" is beyond me. No offense to the brewery, but how the American everyman beer drinker can be bamboozled into thinking this is a premium quality beer is stunning. Pours a tepid pissy yellow with the standard American pilsner foamy head. Smells of pee-pee and light hoppiness mixed with water. Taste is very underwhelming and no doubt gets a boost when the obligatory lemon or lime is squeezed into the glass. Mouthfeel is non existent. I guess that this is highly drinkable as a session beer since there is very little substance to be rated. Credit must be given to the marketing staff of the brewery, since most Corona drinkers are missing the boat when it comes to taste and variety in America's beer industry.

2.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Very popular at bars and pubs in Beijing.

Appearance: Very light golden color, with little head, no lacing either.

Smell: Slight fruits and malts.

Taste: Slight hop taste, sweet. Too light for me

Mouthfeel/Drink: Medium carbonation. Light bodied. Easy to drink when thirsty.

p.s. Better drink it when it is ice cold.

2.53/5  rDev +13.5%

I have this a lot when I am on vacation, because it just comes off as a summer beach beer. But I think the advertising is deceiving because it wasnt that great to me even with a lime in it.
It is your basic straw yelloe beer, with not that great of smell. I didn't enjoy the aftertaste and it isn't worth the price because it's too high. I probably would never get it if I wasn't at the beach and that is only because people buy it for me. I rarely buy it.

2.15/5  rDev -3.6%

Beer pours pale yellow from the bottle with minimal white head

Smell: subdued sunky lager smell with a little bread.

Taste: Not much, the malt is very mild, maybe some fresh cooked mass produced white bread smell. The hops is just perceptible on the finish. The taste sours as it warms up and not is nice Belgian sour kind of way.

Mouthfeel: watery and I can feel it going flat.

Drinkability: Hey I could and unfortunately have drunk a lot, but it better be cold, very cold or D drops to 1.

So hey it's Corona, not great and make sure you drink it cold, if it's what cheap and they have some limes

2.18/5  rDev -2.2%

As with others, this beer has a great color, and appearance... but when you get down to tasting the beer, it is very unpleasant, and does not fit my personal beer drinking tastes. I dont ever imagine me going anywhere and picking this beer up with a meal or for any other reason.

2.99/5  rDev +34.1%

It has a very thin appearance in the glass with light bubbles resting on the top. Smell is bland, better with a lime on the top. The flavor is ok but best when having with food, especially mexican. It is heavy in the mouth with carbonation. Drink on a hot day with good friends.

1.88/5  rDev -15.7%

a I have seen better looking bottled water and mr bubbles has a better looking foam
S corn and cooked cabbage

T skunk and nothing this beer is very bad unless you shove half a lime into the bottle

m bubbly and watery avoid unless you have no other choice and access to lemons or limes

d it goes down easy ice cold beyond that buyer beware

1.84/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

This is overpriced crap. The only way I can enjoy one of these is when it's ice cold and with a lime wedge, which covers up the bad flavor. Tastes like urine when served normally. This has no business being as expensive as it is. I'd rather drink Keystone Light than this overrated swill.

2.18/5  rDev -2.2%

Right away this beer looks great, beautiful golden color pours well creating a little head. This is where everything goes wrong for me. I'm hit with the smell of what I think smells like wet cat. Makes sense actually cause every one I know puts lime and salt on it immediately. Taste doesn't come close to enjoyable. I used to drink a lot of this beer as a young man and I'm starting to question the intelligence of my younger self. Well I won't be buying this beer ever again.

1.65/5  rDev -26%

Appearence: Yellow. Very light in color

Smell: Yup. Very faint smell. Difficult to describe.

Taste: Very little. Not my type of beer. Not much in hops and/or malts.

Mouthfeel: Yup. Very light.

Drinkability: Nope. Again , not my type of beer. But there is a beer for everyone, so enjoy

2.26/5  rDev +1.3%

A-No head no lacing but crystal clear with a light straw color.

S-Smells kinda skunky

T-Tastes like it smells...skunky, I cant really taste anything over it.

M-As watery as a light beer.

D-If you can get by the taste it actually goes down smooth, but thats probably because it's so watery.

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.