Join our email list →

Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico | website

American Adjunct Lager | 4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,179 | Hads: 4,571
1.93/5  rDev -13.5%

Don’t let this beer fool you with its appealing bottle and golden colour, because it’s just another adjunct. I don’t know if it’s cheaper in its native Mexico, but where I purchased it was double the price than any other beer, and not any better. It has a famous name and a nice bottle, and not much else.

This is an awful beer. Don’t buy it.

1.95/5  rDev -12.6%

How Corona can call this brew "Extra" is beyond me. No offense to the brewery, but how the American everyman beer drinker can be bamboozled into thinking this is a premium quality beer is stunning. Pours a tepid pissy yellow with the standard American pilsner foamy head. Smells of pee-pee and light hoppiness mixed with water. Taste is very underwhelming and no doubt gets a boost when the obligatory lemon or lime is squeezed into the glass. Mouthfeel is non existent. I guess that this is highly drinkable as a session beer since there is very little substance to be rated. Credit must be given to the marketing staff of the brewery, since most Corona drinkers are missing the boat when it comes to taste and variety in America's beer industry.

2.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Very popular at bars and pubs in Beijing.

Appearance: Very light golden color, with little head, no lacing either.

Smell: Slight fruits and malts.

Taste: Slight hop taste, sweet. Too light for me

Mouthfeel/Drink: Medium carbonation. Light bodied. Easy to drink when thirsty.

p.s. Better drink it when it is ice cold.

2.53/5  rDev +13.5%

I have this a lot when I am on vacation, because it just comes off as a summer beach beer. But I think the advertising is deceiving because it wasnt that great to me even with a lime in it.
It is your basic straw yelloe beer, with not that great of smell. I didn't enjoy the aftertaste and it isn't worth the price because it's too high. I probably would never get it if I wasn't at the beach and that is only because people buy it for me. I rarely buy it.

2.15/5  rDev -3.6%

Beer pours pale yellow from the bottle with minimal white head

Smell: subdued sunky lager smell with a little bread.

Taste: Not much, the malt is very mild, maybe some fresh cooked mass produced white bread smell. The hops is just perceptible on the finish. The taste sours as it warms up and not is nice Belgian sour kind of way.

Mouthfeel: watery and I can feel it going flat.

Drinkability: Hey I could and unfortunately have drunk a lot, but it better be cold, very cold or D drops to 1.

So hey it's Corona, not great and make sure you drink it cold, if it's what cheap and they have some limes

2.18/5  rDev -2.2%

As with others, this beer has a great color, and appearance... but when you get down to tasting the beer, it is very unpleasant, and does not fit my personal beer drinking tastes. I dont ever imagine me going anywhere and picking this beer up with a meal or for any other reason.

2.99/5  rDev +34.1%

It has a very thin appearance in the glass with light bubbles resting on the top. Smell is bland, better with a lime on the top. The flavor is ok but best when having with food, especially mexican. It is heavy in the mouth with carbonation. Drink on a hot day with good friends.

1.88/5  rDev -15.7%

a I have seen better looking bottled water and mr bubbles has a better looking foam
S corn and cooked cabbage

T skunk and nothing this beer is very bad unless you shove half a lime into the bottle

m bubbly and watery avoid unless you have no other choice and access to lemons or limes

d it goes down easy ice cold beyond that buyer beware

2.24/5  rDev +0.4%

I've had this beer before but not since I have been thinking of beer in terms of ASTMO.

First my disclaimer. I typically stay away from most Mexican beers as they are just import copies of their mass produced American counterparts. I also stay away from beer in clear bottles because they are skunky. I bought this to go with a 5/5 party theme though so I put aside my typical prejudices.

A: It's light gold, obviously filtered. What i'd expect for what it is.

S: There it is! Skunk!

T: Skunk again. Why do people like this taste in beer?

M: Acceptable level of carbonation. The beer has a little bit of body to it, but pretty dry.

O: If you're gonna buy a light drinking adjunct lager, just buy Budweiser in cans. It's essentially the same thing except it won't be light struck, it'll be 20% cheaper and taste better.

1.84/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

This is overpriced crap. The only way I can enjoy one of these is when it's ice cold and with a lime wedge, which covers up the bad flavor. Tastes like urine when served normally. This has no business being as expensive as it is. I'd rather drink Keystone Light than this overrated swill.

1.65/5  rDev -26%

Appearence: Yellow. Very light in color

Smell: Yup. Very faint smell. Difficult to describe.

Taste: Very little. Not my type of beer. Not much in hops and/or malts.

Mouthfeel: Yup. Very light.

Drinkability: Nope. Again , not my type of beer. But there is a beer for everyone, so enjoy

2.26/5  rDev +1.3%

A-No head no lacing but crystal clear with a light straw color.

S-Smells kinda skunky

T-Tastes like it smells...skunky, I cant really taste anything over it.

M-As watery as a light beer.

D-If you can get by the taste it actually goes down smooth, but thats probably because it's so watery.

2.09/5  rDev -6.3%

Ah the perennial favourite for many on a very hot summer day! I am referring of course to the mildly alcoholic lemonade called Corona.

Here in Singapore the weather is always hot, so there is always a demand for light, unassuming macros. Even our very own Tiger Beer is seen by many Singaporeans as being too 'bitter'. So, enter Corona!

I have had numerous opportunities to drink this beer, and I would not hesitate to order it many more times in the future, but having said that, let me say this beer is like that crazy girl we had at some point in our lives. You hate everything about her but when nothing better is available you'll call her.

A: In a clear bottle, no head to speak of, but the lime on top gives it a cool look. I know I am being generous with the rating here but I can't, with a clean conscience fail this beer in every aspect. It's bad, but not THAT bad (well maybe it is, but I like the way it looks).

S: Again, the lime pretty much overpowers any hint of any smell you could have had from this watered-down water but I did detect some grain, corn and other adjuncts.

T: The guys at Corona hit a masterstroke with the idea of sticking a lime in that thing because that pretty much is what makes this beer taste so good, but remove the lemon and try drinking this, and it's like a bartender squeezed his rag into a bottle and served it to you.

M: Mouthfeel? Apart from lime there was pretty much nothing else. It felt like drinking bread mixed with lemonade.

D: Now remember, Singapore is perpetually hot throughout the year, and there are days when this beer actually works, and quenches that parched feeling, hence I upped the rating for this part.

Overall: Who knew that a wedge of lime would make such a big difference? Without the lime this beer would not even be worth rating, but add the lime and a blazing hot day, it becomes somewhat drinkable. So here's to citrus!

1.83/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I expected more from this beer, since some of my friends said it was good, but now it's my list of those to avoid. The head comes and goes very quickly, and the smell is that of a skunk that reminds me of driving on the highway. The taste was skunky and watery as well. I tried it with a lime and found it bearable after I had already had a significant amount to drink, and the beer simply tasted watery at that point.

2.13/5  rDev -4.5%

This is a unflavorful yellow beer. The price is extremely high. This is a very watery, unflavorful beer that has simply been advertised to be a great vacation or special occasion beer. The flavor is light along with the aroma. But I will say you won't have any problem drinking 9 or 10 becuase of it's light consistency.

1.79/5  rDev -19.7%

This is the trendy mexican beer that people who dont know mexican beer drink. People get laughed at for drinking this. It is brewed by Modelo and from what I hear it is their worst brew.

A- appearance is normal.

S- smells kind of funky personally I don't like it.

T- tastes like cheap, thin, mexican beer, many people say that the workers piss in it. I hope that is a myth cuz I dont know what piss tastes like.

M- mouthfeel is normal.

D- I don't drink this beer, I might have 1 if it was given to me and ice cold.

1.28/5  rDev -42.6%

Well this is one of those beers you either like it or you don't. We I don't. The appearance is very commercialized very pale to yellow. The smell is that of gym socks. The taste is...well there really is no taste. The drinkability is very bad. The after taste makes you want to use sandpaper to get rid of it. Don't get me wrong I like beer a lot but this is not one worthy of calling beer.

1.65/5  rDev -26%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.5

Last bottle in the back of the fridge.

a - Very pale, clear yellow with some visible carbonation. Thin, dishwater-esque head. Not much to distinguish it from other, mass produced lagers.

s - Hard to discern any malts, hops, or fruits standing out. Mostly just that bland, alcohol smell.

t - Much like the smell, nothing really stands out. Pretty flat and watered down, any flavor fades fast after swallowing.

m - Very thin body with a good deal of carbonation.

d - Despite all those aforementioned defects, eh, its pretty drinkable. It is pretty similar to water and therefore pretty refreshing. If its available, its easy to drink.

1.6/5  rDev -28.3%

No need for a long winded explanation, it looks bad, smells and tastes horrendous, and gives me a headache every time I drink it. Knowing this I bought another six pack to rate. Yep, still awful. Pity the person who forgets to buy a lime to kill the flavor.

2.38/5  rDev +6.7%

I do not understand why limes do not come with a box of Coronas. Is anybody drinking this stuff by itself, without a lime? I've never seen it. And for good reason, because the beer does not taste well on its own (w/o a lime or lemon). But it can be refreshing on a hot, summer day...Or at least that's what the commercials tell me.

2.28/5  rDev +2.2%

Found this in a 24oz can at the local liquor store and decided that since it wan't in the typical clear glass bottle where the beer could get skunky, I decided to give it a try.

Poured into a tumbler style pint glass. I poured it rather vigorously right down the middle, but it barely foamed up with any head at all. Not a good sign at all...

Appearance: Pale straw color with very little head and lackluster carbonation.

Smell: Very strong scent of pale malts followed immediately by a corn adjunct smell. Some hints of like a cooked veggie smell, followed by the hops.

Taste: First thing I taste is this sweet pale malt flavor followed immediately by this sour back-flavor and bitter hops at the finish. Taste is very similar to stale bread. Sour flavor remains even after the beer was finished.

Mouthfeel: Slightly crisp from the carbonation, which was surprising for how little there was. There was also a sensation that almost "bites" the tongue when you first taste it mixed with the crisp feel...

2.17/5  rDev -2.7%

I feel that this is one of the most overhyped beer's on the market. I'd heard great things before I actually tried it. It was very disappointing. If I'm going to drink a mexican beer, I'd prefer Modelo Negro. Even though similar, I think it's a good alternative.

1.9/5  rDev -14.8%

Appearance: light yellow with a very quickly disappearing head
Smell: corn and malt with hint of grass
Taste: corn with some hint of hops
Mouthfeel: light and watery with good carbonation
Drinkabilty: not very by itself but with added lime and little salt very drinkable on the beach or bbq but the price doesn't make it a regular choice of mine.

2.74/5  rDev +22.9%

poured from bottle to sam adams beer glass at 46 degrees.

I have tasted this stuff many times but never tried to describe the flavor and experience of drinking it...here goes

I am amazed at how clear this beer is. Pale, light yellow. Even after aggressive pour the alka seltzer head is gone fast. The bottle and glass is 2 1/2 feet from me and I smell it. Lots of carbonation, but it dwindles fast.

I have always in the past drank this from a bottle, hence missing a lot of the smells...probably a good thing. The smell is sour skunky. Smells like wet tile.

The first sip reveals some surprise. First, it tastes very different coming from a glass. Second, the taste is not horrible. Its weak and corny, but it is gone fast and leaves nothing on the tongue. I get the essence of silage(cattle feed). That sounds worse than it is.

The mouth is crisp. Very light and loose. Spritzer water.

I would be a damn hypocrite if I said it did not have at least a decent drinkability factor. I have put a lot of these away in recent years.

This is an american macro that uses the tagline of being mexican, hoping you will get visions of beaches, bikinis, and vacations down south. To be honest, on a hot beach or on any vacation I could drink these over and over.

A lot of people drink this with a lime wedge, but I have always thought it was trend that lended to the "tropical" feel of this brand. Then again maybe the acid from the citrus cuts some of the undesirable tastes, or at least dulls them. If I review with a lime and it is different, I will edit.

2.78/5  rDev +24.7%

A-It really doesnt look appealing unless it has lime in it.

s-It the smell isnt too good, once I put in the lime it actually helped it.

t-Its about so-so..again, it needs Lime to do it justice.

m-I leave a bit of a harsh aftertaste for me it's not an easy to drink beer for me.

d- It goes well w/ some food and it is probably great on a hot day. I just had it at a Mexican place and it really did not compliment my meal.

My friends rave about Corona and if they like it that's cool. Problem is, I really don't see the appeal. I think it's because before I tried it, I was drinking the more expensive stuff like Guiness and Sam Adams. I think I'm a spoiled beer drinker.

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.