Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Corona Extra | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

YOUR RATING = None |
awful
awful
Read the review

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Reviews: 1,186 | Ratings: 4,624
1.93/5  rDev -13.5%

Don’t let this beer fool you with its appealing bottle and golden colour, because it’s just another adjunct. I don’t know if it’s cheaper in its native Mexico, but where I purchased it was double the price than any other beer, and not any better. It has a famous name and a nice bottle, and not much else.

This is an awful beer. Don’t buy it.

2.4/5  rDev +7.6%

I have had a number of these beers in my less informed days. Yet I have never had one in a glass. I have had them in the bottle with a lime and even in a can with a lime. It is a light golden color with little aroma. Its nothing really special tasting either like most mass produced beers. But I’m here to say that given the right situation this is a beer that I could drink. Going out to a Mexican restaurant to eat you almost have to have a corona. Or on the beach a corona is not a bad choice but other then a few situations I would suggest to pass. Must have a lime to drink it. Do not attempt it with out the lime.

2.93/5  rDev +31.4%

Something about drinking Corona and eating spicy grilled food!

A- Very light yellow. Not impressive at all.

S- A skunky smell by itself. (no wonder a lime down it’s neck is recommended.)

T- Without the lime not very nice. With the lime, much , much better!

M- Very light not full or filling. Refreshing.

D- Drinkability is good. I can easily put a few of these back while I eat spicy grilled food.

I would recommend this beer only with the lime and do not pour it in a glass! It needs to filter through the lime as it does in the bottle.

4.01/5  rDev +79.8%

A: Yellow corny, with a white head

S: I like this beer, BUT NOT for the smell, very skunk to weedy smell

T: this beer is a crisp corn & lite hoppy good with or without lime or limon

M: fizzy combination

D: YES on a cold or hot day (especially)... the beer does taste rather bad when hot almost undrinkable, so Ice cold is the way to go. The Party beer IMO

1.2/5  rDev -46.2%

A: Looks like liquid waste. Very pale yellow-white

S: Nothing there, smells like water (or a light tea)

T: Tastes like a low budget beer flavored water.

M: None. About as thick as water.

D: Refreshing, and drinkable... not enjoyable.

Overall: Drinkable... but that is it. This is another beer in which it would be more enjoyable (and cheaper) just to go with water.

2.2/5  rDev -1.3%

The quintessential beach beer. We have quite a few beaches in Minnesota, but you are far better off drinking Summit or Grainbelt up in the North Woods. Don't bring this week shit up around me. The one thing I will say is that I was a little surprised at the abundance of malt I felt... still crappy though

2.5/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Straw yellow pale color with medium head formation and little lace retention. Aromas with minimal presence of malts and little hops, very much bitter in smell notes. Tastes of little malts with bitterness. Finishes dry and with the lime in the bottle and the beach can be a decent avergae macro beer.

1.58/5  rDev -29.1%

I drank this without the lime.

A: Bright sun yellow, head disappears almost instantly. Looks better inside than out of the bottle for some odd reason.

S: Not much really, maybe some alcohol.

T: Not much either. It is a bit like drinking water. There is a little bit of hop to be found there and some some mild bitterness at the end.

M: Very light with some grains and distant alcohol.

D: Goes down just easily as water which is pretty much what I deem this to be. Good for teenagers who are not quite used to alcohol yet but want to drink a lot.

I now understand why people put lime into this because otherwise it doesn't taste like much.

1.95/5  rDev -12.6%

How Corona can call this brew "Extra" is beyond me. No offense to the brewery, but how the American everyman beer drinker can be bamboozled into thinking this is a premium quality beer is stunning. Pours a tepid pissy yellow with the standard American pilsner foamy head. Smells of pee-pee and light hoppiness mixed with water. Taste is very underwhelming and no doubt gets a boost when the obligatory lemon or lime is squeezed into the glass. Mouthfeel is non existent. I guess that this is highly drinkable as a session beer since there is very little substance to be rated. Credit must be given to the marketing staff of the brewery, since most Corona drinkers are missing the boat when it comes to taste and variety in America's beer industry.

2.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Very popular at bars and pubs in Beijing.

Appearance: Very light golden color, with little head, no lacing either.

Smell: Slight fruits and malts.

Taste: Slight hop taste, sweet. Too light for me

Mouthfeel/Drink: Medium carbonation. Light bodied. Easy to drink when thirsty.

p.s. Better drink it when it is ice cold.

2.53/5  rDev +13.5%

I have this a lot when I am on vacation, because it just comes off as a summer beach beer. But I think the advertising is deceiving because it wasnt that great to me even with a lime in it.
It is your basic straw yelloe beer, with not that great of smell. I didn't enjoy the aftertaste and it isn't worth the price because it's too high. I probably would never get it if I wasn't at the beach and that is only because people buy it for me. I rarely buy it.

2.15/5  rDev -3.6%

Beer pours pale yellow from the bottle with minimal white head

Smell: subdued sunky lager smell with a little bread.

Taste: Not much, the malt is very mild, maybe some fresh cooked mass produced white bread smell. The hops is just perceptible on the finish. The taste sours as it warms up and not is nice Belgian sour kind of way.

Mouthfeel: watery and I can feel it going flat.

Drinkability: Hey I could and unfortunately have drunk a lot, but it better be cold, very cold or D drops to 1.

So hey it's Corona, not great and make sure you drink it cold, if it's what cheap and they have some limes

2.18/5  rDev -2.2%

As with others, this beer has a great color, and appearance... but when you get down to tasting the beer, it is very unpleasant, and does not fit my personal beer drinking tastes. I dont ever imagine me going anywhere and picking this beer up with a meal or for any other reason.

2.99/5  rDev +34.1%

It has a very thin appearance in the glass with light bubbles resting on the top. Smell is bland, better with a lime on the top. The flavor is ok but best when having with food, especially mexican. It is heavy in the mouth with carbonation. Drink on a hot day with good friends.

1.88/5  rDev -15.7%

a I have seen better looking bottled water and mr bubbles has a better looking foam
S corn and cooked cabbage

T skunk and nothing this beer is very bad unless you shove half a lime into the bottle

m bubbly and watery avoid unless you have no other choice and access to lemons or limes

d it goes down easy ice cold beyond that buyer beware

1.84/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

This is overpriced crap. The only way I can enjoy one of these is when it's ice cold and with a lime wedge, which covers up the bad flavor. Tastes like urine when served normally. This has no business being as expensive as it is. I'd rather drink Keystone Light than this overrated swill.

1.65/5  rDev -26%

Appearence: Yellow. Very light in color

Smell: Yup. Very faint smell. Difficult to describe.

Taste: Very little. Not my type of beer. Not much in hops and/or malts.

Mouthfeel: Yup. Very light.

Drinkability: Nope. Again , not my type of beer. But there is a beer for everyone, so enjoy

2.26/5  rDev +1.3%

A-No head no lacing but crystal clear with a light straw color.

S-Smells kinda skunky

T-Tastes like it smells...skunky, I cant really taste anything over it.

M-As watery as a light beer.

D-If you can get by the taste it actually goes down smooth, but thats probably because it's so watery.

2.09/5  rDev -6.3%

Ah the perennial favourite for many on a very hot summer day! I am referring of course to the mildly alcoholic lemonade called Corona.

Here in Singapore the weather is always hot, so there is always a demand for light, unassuming macros. Even our very own Tiger Beer is seen by many Singaporeans as being too 'bitter'. So, enter Corona!

I have had numerous opportunities to drink this beer, and I would not hesitate to order it many more times in the future, but having said that, let me say this beer is like that crazy girl we had at some point in our lives. You hate everything about her but when nothing better is available you'll call her.

A: In a clear bottle, no head to speak of, but the lime on top gives it a cool look. I know I am being generous with the rating here but I can't, with a clean conscience fail this beer in every aspect. It's bad, but not THAT bad (well maybe it is, but I like the way it looks).

S: Again, the lime pretty much overpowers any hint of any smell you could have had from this watered-down water but I did detect some grain, corn and other adjuncts.

T: The guys at Corona hit a masterstroke with the idea of sticking a lime in that thing because that pretty much is what makes this beer taste so good, but remove the lemon and try drinking this, and it's like a bartender squeezed his rag into a bottle and served it to you.

M: Mouthfeel? Apart from lime there was pretty much nothing else. It felt like drinking bread mixed with lemonade.

D: Now remember, Singapore is perpetually hot throughout the year, and there are days when this beer actually works, and quenches that parched feeling, hence I upped the rating for this part.

Overall: Who knew that a wedge of lime would make such a big difference? Without the lime this beer would not even be worth rating, but add the lime and a blazing hot day, it becomes somewhat drinkable. So here's to citrus!

1.83/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I expected more from this beer, since some of my friends said it was good, but now it's my list of those to avoid. The head comes and goes very quickly, and the smell is that of a skunk that reminds me of driving on the highway. The taste was skunky and watery as well. I tried it with a lime and found it bearable after I had already had a significant amount to drink, and the beer simply tasted watery at that point.

2.13/5  rDev -4.5%

This is a unflavorful yellow beer. The price is extremely high. This is a very watery, unflavorful beer that has simply been advertised to be a great vacation or special occasion beer. The flavor is light along with the aroma. But I will say you won't have any problem drinking 9 or 10 becuase of it's light consistency.

1.79/5  rDev -19.7%

This is the trendy mexican beer that people who dont know mexican beer drink. People get laughed at for drinking this. It is brewed by Modelo and from what I hear it is their worst brew.

A- appearance is normal.

S- smells kind of funky personally I don't like it.

T- tastes like cheap, thin, mexican beer, many people say that the workers piss in it. I hope that is a myth cuz I dont know what piss tastes like.

M- mouthfeel is normal.

D- I don't drink this beer, I might have 1 if it was given to me and ice cold.

1.28/5  rDev -42.6%

Well this is one of those beers you either like it or you don't. We I don't. The appearance is very commercialized very pale to yellow. The smell is that of gym socks. The taste is...well there really is no taste. The drinkability is very bad. The after taste makes you want to use sandpaper to get rid of it. Don't get me wrong I like beer a lot but this is not one worthy of calling beer.

1.65/5  rDev -26%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.5

Last bottle in the back of the fridge.

a - Very pale, clear yellow with some visible carbonation. Thin, dishwater-esque head. Not much to distinguish it from other, mass produced lagers.

s - Hard to discern any malts, hops, or fruits standing out. Mostly just that bland, alcohol smell.

t - Much like the smell, nothing really stands out. Pretty flat and watered down, any flavor fades fast after swallowing.

m - Very thin body with a good deal of carbonation.

d - Despite all those aforementioned defects, eh, its pretty drinkable. It is pretty similar to water and therefore pretty refreshing. If its available, its easy to drink.

1.6/5  rDev -28.3%

No need for a long winded explanation, it looks bad, smells and tastes horrendous, and gives me a headache every time I drink it. Knowing this I bought another six pack to rate. Yep, still awful. Pity the person who forgets to buy a lime to kill the flavor.

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.