Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,152 | Hads: 4,400

I swore that I wouldn't review any crap that I knew to be crap unless a sample was provided gratis, and guess what? Providence provides. I will begin my scrutiny by violating several rules of the sacred canon of Corona consumption: 1: I pour the "beer" from the bottle into a glass, 2: WITHOUT ANY LIME! And so...
appearance: totally transparent, color matching that of a very pale urine sample, head exists, is frothy and white (has anyone, ever, conceived of Corona's head?). Aroma: stinky, skunky, suggesting nothing beyond the liquid leavings of sick, sad, rabid animals. Foul, rancid, polluted, poisonous.
Now to drink: harsh, sour, cornish, wince-inducing, not-the-least-bit-good. Possesses none, absolutely not a one of the qualities we would want to find in ANY beer...body, character, finish (oh, no!), hops, malt, texture, flavor, ad infinitum...but wait, I didn't give it the benefit of the doubt, employing the preferred method, inclusion of lime...why, I have some wedges right here!
Mmmmm!!!! Limey! Yep, you can really taste the lime, oboy! Boy, I can drink a million of 'em now! Ahhhh! Give me a bucket of Coronas, some limes, the beach, and volleyball, ..and then kill me...
This is the best selling imported beer in America. Have mercy on us all.
(I wish there were negative points available. One star seems too charitable.) (1,347 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -13.1%

From 07/02/11 notes.

a - Pours a clear pale straw yellow color with one finger of fluffy white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of light sour notes, corn, grain, and light vegetables. Not very good.

t - Tastes like the nose; just some light corn and vegetables, with like sour/skunkiness in the end. Not very enjoyable.

m - Light watery body and high carbonation evident. Too carbonated.

o - Overall not a very good beer, but slightly better than Landshark. It's never a good sign when people need to add a lime to your beer to make it taste better. Not something to seek out; go for Negra Modelo. (619 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -4.1%

12 oz bottle pours a yellow-gold color with lots of visible carbonation. Sure enough, the carbonation level is high; probably a good thing given the light and watery body.
Aroma? ,,, what aroma? Oh, there it is: adjunct (corn) light lager with some doughy malt. Flavor to match.

O: Corona Extra managed to exceed my very low expectations. No particular flaws excepting the remarkably low levels of hops and malts, and high level of corn in the nose and flavor. Only good as a thirst quenching cold beverage where I would indeed prefer this to water on occasion. (564 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -1.8%

7 oz. bottle:
Poured pale yellow (just as seen through clear bottle). A thin wisp of a lace was present despite the high carbonation.
It smelled mildly of chemical-like sulfur and a touch of skunk.
It tasted like water with some odd chemical-like substance mixed in.
It left a metallic-like taste, but the water and carbonation allowed it to go down.
I tried this with lime in it a while back - not my thing, adding fruit to beer...A guest brought over nips, and I wanted to see if it could stand alone. If you drink this, which I do not recommend - put limes in it (I don't like adding fruit - but this needs it)...better yet - just avoid it. (648 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass. I did not add Lucas, salt or a lime. Just going to drink the beer as nature intended it.

Beer is light yellow and clear. Carbonation is moderate and consists of large bubbles. After an aggressive pour, a decent head forms but falls away quickly leaving no lacing on the glass. Despite the strong carbonation, the head of the beer does not stand up. All and all, it looks like a beer, exactly what you'd expect.

Smells like cooked corn. Not really appetizing.

Body is thin, kind of ilke corn-flavored water, cooked corn flavor, harsh husk tannin back flavor leaves a terrible not pleasant bitter aftertaste (this is probably what the lime is for). Drinkability is low but mouthfeel is not good. Beer is messing with me a lot. There is a decent amount of carbonation in the mouth, there may be some sweetness in the front but the more I drink the more cereal I get.

Gross. (923 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -22.1%

A: Pours a crystal clear pale golden yellow in color with some light amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a finger tall soapy bright white head that quickly reduces to nothing but a very thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal lacing is observed.

S: Aromas of skunk with a slight hint of adjunct malts - corn and grain.

T: There is a moderate flavor of sweet corn and grain adjuntc malts and very little bitterness. Also, slightly metallic but not sure why since it came form a glass bottle into a glass.

M: Light bodied with heavy amounts of carbonation. Thin and watery.

O: This is a pretty poor beer in my opinion and I understand why every other time I have had one served to me, I had it with a lime - you need something to change the flavor on this beer. Not one I will be having again anytime soon. (823 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -7.7%

Drank this in honor of a friend who passed away. It was the only beer he would drink.

A: Light, clear yellow in color. Small white head that is gone in an instant and left no lacing.

S: Not much going on. Some corn and other adjunct aromas, some graininess. Light skunkiness as well.

T: Pretty boring and watery. Typical macro/adjunct taste. Had this one without a lime, but it needs it. Slightly sweet malts and some corn. No hops at all.

M: Light bodied with high carbonation. Crisp, but not really refreshing.

O: Not what I want to be drinking..ever really. I know I will have it again, but it will likely be due lack of other options at a party or BBQ. (666 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +55%

The beer pours a very pale yellow color with a spotty lace head. The smell is weak, but pleasant. There is a faint odor of pale malts. The taste is watery and ordinary. It has that Mexican beer taste to it. I'm not exactly sure how that's acheived. It is a low bodied beer that is easy to drink, just not too enjoyable. As far as commercial imports are concerned; this is one of the better ones. (395 characters)

2.57/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Review from notes I found on my phone from over a year ago. I think my brother is to blame for this...12oz clear glass bottle poured into a tired hands oversized wine glass because i'm THAT guy. It appears a perfectly clear straw yellow color with a white finger that is quick to fade.

The smell is skunky initially right out the gate despite being held in a fridge and not exposed to any light. It has a corny grain sweetness to the nose and a hint of sulfur. It doesnt smell that good but it is on par with the style I guess.

The taste is sweet like corn. Sulfur and a bit skunky. A very minor herbal aspect. Some faint indistinguishable hop bitterness balances things out with a touch of something almost like bubblegum.

This is a medium to light bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. The skunky aspect made this different from the usual macro adjunct. I think I did a great disservice to this brew by pouring it into a glass. Had I shoved a lime down the bottle neck and chugged it, it would have been 'enjoyed' slightly more. (1,044 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -24.3%

Not much can be said about Corona that hasn't been said before. The beer looks about like piss and I imagine piss would taste better. There just isn't much of anything to the beer. No smell. No flavor. If you put enough limes into the beer you can get it to be almost drinkable. (278 characters)

2.22/5  rDev 0%

Um, yeah I've had a few of these before...This was my daily quaff on my honeymoon many years ago, and I still order a bottle or two occasionally when dining at Mexican restaurants.

The beer is clear and golden colored with a half inch of white head. A good looking adjunct lager.

The aroma is a bit skunky, and I highly recommend the addition of salt and lime to mask / enhance the aroma and flavor.

The flavor is simple and straightforward. Adjuncts, grain, corn, the usual suspects. Again, do yourself a favor and add the traditional salt and lime.

The feel is thin and watery. Good for summertime and/or pairing with spicy Mexican food. (643 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +48.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Consumed in September 2004 from a 12oz bottle. Well, I'm sorry to disappoint everyone, but this beer isn't that bad. But, it only serves one purpose. When you are dying of thirst on a beach, this is a good one to grab. It's not a pretty pour, it doesn't smell like anything special, but it's a decent beer when you want a quick one and there isn't anything else around but bud/miller/coors. At least this one has a bit more taste. Don't understand why it's so expensive though. I always have a 12pk on hand for when I am moving the lawn of doing something outside. (564 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours pure gold with soapy head that fizzes and quickly fades to nothing. Smells musty with a ton of grains. The taste is sweet, almost apple-like, at first, but then very grainy with a lot of corn in the finish. Mouthfeel is crisp and light.

I recommend drinking this freezing cold with a lime. (296 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -9%

Corona comes in a CAN!?! Who knew? Not me, until recently.

The pour created a bone-white head that was reducing even as I was pouring. The NE-plus quality clarity in this pale-yellow beer was startling. They must have filtered the living Hades out of this beer before packaging it. The nose was light, a little on the sweet side, but not offensive. Mouthfeel was thin with a sweet, honey-like lager taste on the tongue. Finish had a mild sweetness, but nothing really jumped out. I can see why so many people add citrus fruit to this - it is pretty flavorless. Certainly, I've had better, but I've also had worse. Much worse. I can't really see returning to it, though. Maybe on draft or in bottle, just as a try anything once scenario, but no more cans of Corona Extra for the Woodman. (787 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -21.2%

Appearance: pours a very light yellow color with a short 1/4" white head that breaks apart immediately. No lime in the pint glass.

Smell: no aroma other than some funky sweetness.

Taste: taste profile is very weak as only some corn and mild sweetness can be detected. Any bitterness is weak and barely detectable.

Mouthfeel: very crisp throughout. Light in body. Clean aftertaste.

Drinkability: this is just an awful beer with no flavor. The lime must provide some flavoring to make this drinkable. I had this for beer for fun during a holiday get together, and just couldn't finish it. I was also frowned upon for asking for a glass and no lime. Ugh. (657 characters)

2.68/5  rDev +20.7%

Light yellow and clear. Bottle clear with engraved label, Mexican symbols and stuff. Corn in the nose, medium bubble head, which fades quickly. Minimal flavor, no hops noticable. We all have tried and probably had our thirsts quenched by this stuff. Its better then Bud/Miller/Fosters etc. Crisp and refreshing. good on the beach or on a very warm day. (352 characters)

2.64/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. clear bottle,

A: Pours a pallid yellow into a glass, with really no head to speak of, dissipates quickly leaving only a small, thin ring of clear foam around the glass.

S: Smells mainly of fermented corn, though it is much more evident than in a regular macro, no skunk, didn't expect it, as this came from a 12-pack.

T: This does not taste that bad. Haven't had this one in a while, and had forgotten what it tasted like. It has a simple corn flavour, not much else, but much better than your average macro-type lager beer.

M: Light, carbonic, bubbly, thin and watery.

D: A fair beer, better than most macros, but still, at the end of the day, its just a boring industrial lager. There are a lot better lagers out there, and better beers for the same price, so why waste your time with Corona? I'd drink it if I'm in the Sizzler, and there's no better beer around, but all and all, it's just not very good, and I would not spend my own money on it. (961 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -16.2%

When ever I think of Mexico, I think of big hats, big moustaches, Bandits and crap beer.

You can blame Hollywood and the American film industry for the first three and Corona for the last stereotyping.

Yet here I am about to review the beer that gave Mexico a bad name. The first 'designer' foreign beer that was advertised all over the place to hit Great Britain (I believe). This bottle was left at my house by someone who came to my daughters Birthday party, I would never have paid for it.

I poured the beer into one of my Duvel glasses, I wanted to give the beer a chance.

To be fair it looked like a Duvel except the head fell away very swiftly. A little lighter than a Duvel really, very pale and crystal clear too.

I give all lager/pilsners a score of 3 unless there is something bad or good about them. This is as odourless as most, but with a stale bread aroma hanging around.

Insipid and tasteless, nothing to report.

Fizzy water comes to mind when considering the mouthfeel.

Glad I didn't buy this beer. (1,023 characters)

The canned version of Corona was bland enough, but the bottled version has the potential to wreck havoc to my tastebuds thanks to its skunk promoting bottle. Again, I poured the sample into a glass without lime. All I gotta say is the bottle isn't any better. It isn't "spit-out" bad, there's just little there. Skunked spicy hops seem to take on the most flavor in the beer, which is almost like a light beer.

Conclusion: stay off the bandwagon and spend your money on something better. (489 characters)

2.57/5  rDev +15.8%

No head, pale yellow, straw color, some sediment (or maybe dirt) at bottom of glass (plastic)
Smell? Couldn't detect one. Maybe some malt and hops, citrus.
Tried with and without lime. Better with lime as it adds flavor. Drink very cold and if not in Mexico and are broke.
Can drink many as its like water. (310 characters)

2.37/5  rDev +6.8%

Served in its proper glassware, the bottle, with a wedge of lime. Normally I´d eschew the beer in the bottle and fruit thing. But as far as I can tell this is the proper serving technique. There´s still that cheap, grainy flavor, but the fruit helps make this drinkable and not an unpleasant experience. Try this once and call it a cultural experience. (354 characters)

Part of my Shitty Beer Review Series...What am I doing to myself?

A. Pours a light gold into a glass with NO HEAD after an agressive pour.

S. Skunk Grains. I immediately think "drain pour" but then I re-coup, gather my thoughts, and continue.

T. Ick. Skunky astringent corn. Some bitterness coming out of the stew of foulness.
I think they may have used hops, not sure.

M. A bit watery and slightly harsh.

D. Well, I tried it. A few swigs, then down the drain, I cannot continue to hurt myself. This is worse than Natural Light. The Swill to end all Swill. (561 characters)

3.21/5  rDev +44.6%

1C
Pours a light golden color with a smallish white head that quickly dissipates. Aromas of light sweet fruity and grainy malt with hints of floral hops to counter. The taste is sweet with honey and fruit. Light bready grainy flavor with a sharp spicy hop flavor with a low to moderate level of hop bitterness. Light to medium light body with a moderate to high level of carbonation and a slick sharp crisp mouthfeel. Nice grainy bready aroma, this actually tastes pretty decent without a lime stuffed into it. (510 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -19.8%

Pours a clear golden yellow color with a very thin white head that fades quickly. Nothing special about the aroma or flavor other than it is refreshing on a hot day. If it is served freezing cold with a slice of lime on a very humid day it can be drinakble, otherwise avoid at all cost. (286 characters)

2.48/5  rDev +11.7%

I intentionally waited this long to review this beer because I've been told that it's actually decent on draft. Well...after finally having it on draft in Mexico, I can put that myth to rest.
Appears a transparent light gold with a thin white head that quickly fizzles away into a mild collar. A few spots are left.
Smell is of lemon and flaked maize. Even the lager yeast seems to be dulled down in the draft version. If there are hops in here, they are extremely mild.
Taste...it is what it is. Crispy cereal with bubbles.
Mouthfeel is spritzy, light bodied, easy to drink, lemony & semi-dry in the finish. (608 characters)

Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.