Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
2.33/5  rDev +0.9%

A - 12 oz bottle pours out a pale yellow. Little head and highly carbonated

S - It smells skunky and of corn.

T- The taste is very watery and has corn and grassy notes to it.

M - A light bodied beer that finishes crisp.

D - It is drinkable, especially on a hot day.

zeff80, Jul 15, 2006
1.93/5  rDev -16.5%

330ml bottle, clear as the office window beside me, well maybe without all that winter dirt, but hey.

This beer pours a medium pale golden colour, with one finger of thinly foamy, bubbly, and soapy dirty white head, which melts away like it's just been spotted, leaving a low berm of meniscus lace around the glass.

It smells of grainy white soup cracker 'malt', a certain corn pithiness well imbued, with some prominent skunky, weedy hop oil astringency, as opposed to actual hoppiness. The taste is that generic macro malt 'flavour', i.e. slightly sweet rice/corn (I don't particularly care to differentiate) mush, a bit of really stale lemon, and stanky earthy, leafy hops.

The carbonation is fairly innocuous, the body unequivocal in its lightness, brainlessly smooth, and even a little creamy, in a frothy sort of manner. It finishes on a soured cooked vegetable note, amid the lingering corn pone sweetness.

This is making me wish that this wasn't the last beer left in the office fridge after an overly long Friday afternoon company staff meeting, but that's now neither here nor there. Corona is what it sets out to be - fizzy, grainy, skunky as a feature, not a flaw, and sexy in its foreign grittiness. Blah, but I'm not about to lay down in front of this particular bulldozer.

biboergosum, Mar 07, 2009

Not too many good reviews for this beer (in fact, scathing!), and yet the numbers are OK. Hmmm? Obviously it's not about the beer. Where's it coming from? The painted bottle? Yes. People love it. The image of a "relaxed, carefree, coastal attitude"? Yes. Trendiness. Yes. Marketing. Yes. The Lime... ... Can we forget about all of the history and just taste the beer? The color is a nice yellow gold with a white head that holds up OK. No lace. There's a distinct, somewhat unique and lightly sweet malty aroma, with maybe a touch of hop lurking in the background. Nothing really off. The body's medium/light with a fine and moderate carbonation level. The flavor is not nearly as sweet as the aroma suggests, but rather, it's accompanied by a dull, earthy bitterness. The finish leaves a lingering bitterness and some light maltiness but no hop flavor. But then again, there are no off-flavors either! Not a real well made beer, but not horrid by any stretch. Now I have something to add to the history... When this beer came on the scene Miller Lite was still big. Dry beers had just passed through town. This offered something more without being hoppy or bitter. Apart from all the marketing... people liked it. Let it go.

NeroFiddled, Aug 07, 2002
1.78/5  rDev -22.9%

Presentation: CLEAR 12 oz bottle with no freshness date.

Appearance: Crystal clear straw in colour with a very faint bubbly white lace that does not retain well.

Smell: Odd faded aromas of sulphur, faint skunk, mild cooked veggies, grain and a good whiff of ethonal alcohol ... these all seem to be trademark Corona aromas.

Taste: Crisp carbonation holds a light to medium body. Flavours of husk, cooked corn and a light sweetness are all on the palate. Hop bitterness is there to balance and lingers for a bit until a somewhat clean finish comes along with some fading corn flavours.

Notes: This is the #1 imported beer in the US though there are numerous others south-of-the-border brews that are worth checking out. As for the lime thing ... you won't see it here. Is it really worth the $20-24 a case? Not to us.

Jason, Jun 11, 2002
1.88/5  rDev -18.6%

Well, I was once told that this beer had it's particular time and place. I am guessing that this person is referring to being in Mexico, or on any beach partying. However, while in Ensenada this summer this beer was no where to be seen. You had to specially ask for this beer, and it wasn't on billboards or the television commercials. No the marketing is for those Americans just show them the picture with the lime wedged in the bottle, then we'll see some response from them. Yep, that is basically what happened this beer became popularized with commercials not with a good taste. So, as I pour this beer in WV during early January, I almost know it is a mistake. However, I am giving it a shot. When i poured this golden (as in color of piss) it fizzled like a can of soda, and the head was gone by the time I looked at the screen and back down to my pint glass. At first scent it seems very unpleasant, but when I taste it, this beer contains relatively no flavors. It does have a mild citrusy sweetness, but there is really nothing here. For being so big with the average beer drinker, I wasn't expecting much here. This beer is not one that I plan to drink ever again.

WVbeergeek, Jan 08, 2003
1.78/5  rDev -22.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is pungent with the typical macro smell of corn and other adjuncts. There’s a touch of malt and very little hops.

T: The taste is very watery, with flavors of adjuncts and some malt sweetness. There is almost no hops presence. There isn’t much of an after-taste but it’s slightly sweet.

M: A little smooth but not crisp at all, light body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, clean finish.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not filling at all, there really isn’t much to this beer, which makes it easy to drink but prevents it from being the least bit enjoyable.

TheManiacalOne, Apr 29, 2007
2.85/5  rDev +23.4%

Poured from a 12 oz clear bottle into a pilsner glass.

A - straw yellow with a thin head that contains tightly formed bubbles. No real lacing to speak of.

S - Musty, vegetal, malty with slightly grassy odors.

M - Fizzy, somewhat seltzer-like w/ light body and malt sweetness in tinges.

T - A general light lager flavor with a touch of hops. A slightly salty taste with a sweet middle. A dry finish w/ plenty of carbonation tingle in the end. The flavor and effervesence tend to get blurred together.

D - A basic light lager flavor w/ some drinkable qualities, but not worth seeking out and I would probably avoid this in the future.

Slatetank, Aug 05, 2007

I swore that I wouldn't review any crap that I knew to be crap unless a sample was provided gratis, and guess what? Providence provides. I will begin my scrutiny by violating several rules of the sacred canon of Corona consumption: 1: I pour the "beer" from the bottle into a glass, 2: WITHOUT ANY LIME! And so...
appearance: totally transparent, color matching that of a very pale urine sample, head exists, is frothy and white (has anyone, ever, conceived of Corona's head?). Aroma: stinky, skunky, suggesting nothing beyond the liquid leavings of sick, sad, rabid animals. Foul, rancid, polluted, poisonous.
Now to drink: harsh, sour, cornish, wince-inducing, not-the-least-bit-good. Possesses none, absolutely not a one of the qualities we would want to find in ANY beer...body, character, finish (oh, no!), hops, malt, texture, flavor, ad infinitum...but wait, I didn't give it the benefit of the doubt, employing the preferred method, inclusion of lime...why, I have some wedges right here!
Mmmmm!!!! Limey! Yep, you can really taste the lime, oboy! Boy, I can drink a million of 'em now! Ahhhh! Give me a bucket of Coronas, some limes, the beach, and volleyball, ..and then kill me...
This is the best selling imported beer in America. Have mercy on us all.
(I wish there were negative points available. One star seems too charitable.)

feloniousmonk, May 25, 2003
2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass. I did not add Lucas, salt or a lime. Just going to drink the beer as nature intended it.

Beer is light yellow and clear. Carbonation is moderate and consists of large bubbles. After an aggressive pour, a decent head forms but falls away quickly leaving no lacing on the glass. Despite the strong carbonation, the head of the beer does not stand up. All and all, it looks like a beer, exactly what you'd expect.

Smells like cooked corn. Not really appetizing.

Body is thin, kind of ilke corn-flavored water, cooked corn flavor, harsh husk tannin back flavor leaves a terrible not pleasant bitter aftertaste (this is probably what the lime is for). Drinkability is low but mouthfeel is not good. Beer is messing with me a lot. There is a decent amount of carbonation in the mouth, there may be some sweetness in the front but the more I drink the more cereal I get.

Gross.

drabmuh, Dec 18, 2009

oline73, Sep 30, 2014
2.55/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Big splashy head that dissipates right away. Modest carbonation but a good fizz on the tongue while it lasts. Smell is pretty insignificant. Just a wee hint of pleasant malt and an actual kiss of hops. Bitterness and other flavors melt away fairly soon but it's a beery sort of taste. Slightly tart.

Not as offensive as I remember, but you have to get down to its own level. I suppose it might have a little more flavor than some American industro-brews.

A freebie courtesy of Southwest Airlines on a delayed flight. Adding insult to injury!

mactrail, Jan 13, 2012
3.4/5  rDev +47.2%

The beer pours a very pale yellow color with a spotty lace head. The smell is weak, but pleasant. There is a faint odor of pale malts. The taste is watery and ordinary. It has that Mexican beer taste to it. I'm not exactly sure how that's acheived. It is a low bodied beer that is easy to drink, just not too enjoyable. As far as commercial imports are concerned; this is one of the better ones.

WesWes, Dec 01, 2003
1.93/5  rDev -16.5%

From 07/02/11 notes.

a - Pours a clear pale straw yellow color with one finger of fluffy white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of light sour notes, corn, grain, and light vegetables. Not very good.

t - Tastes like the nose; just some light corn and vegetables, with like sour/skunkiness in the end. Not very enjoyable.

m - Light watery body and high carbonation evident. Too carbonated.

o - Overall not a very good beer, but slightly better than Landshark. It's never a good sign when people need to add a lime to your beer to make it taste better. Not something to seek out; go for Negra Modelo.

mdfb79, Jul 08, 2011
1.7/5  rDev -26.4%

Not much can be said about Corona that hasn't been said before. The beer looks about like piss and I imagine piss would taste better. There just isn't much of anything to the beer. No smell. No flavor. If you put enough limes into the beer you can get it to be almost drinkable.

Mora2000, Mar 21, 2008
2.17/5  rDev -6.1%

7 oz. bottle:
Poured pale yellow (just as seen through clear bottle). A thin wisp of a lace was present despite the high carbonation.
It smelled mildly of chemical-like sulfur and a touch of skunk.
It tasted like water with some odd chemical-like substance mixed in.
It left a metallic-like taste, but the water and carbonation allowed it to go down.
I tried this with lime in it a while back - not my thing, adding fruit to beer...A guest brought over nips, and I wanted to see if it could stand alone. If you drink this, which I do not recommend - put limes in it (I don't like adding fruit - but this needs it)...better yet - just avoid it.

jwc215, Jun 29, 2006
2.5/5  rDev +8.2%

beernads, Jun 05, 2013
2.5/5  rDev +8.2%

DrunkinYogi, May 29, 2013

Rochefort10nh, Dec 06, 2011
1.86/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle of "Coronita" served into an Estrella Damm stemgoblet in Ibiza, Spain. I dreaded this beer prior to reviewing it. Review is from notes.

I dock points for the presentation - a clear bottle is inexcusable, especially for a tropical beer.

A: Laughably pathetic head, no real retention or existence of head. This is awful for its low ABV. Clear yellow gold in colour. Appears adequately carbonated.

Sm: Malt syrup. As we say in Ireland: "Fookin' disgusting".

T: Malt and lime syrup, with a bit of barley. Fucking awful. Horrendously bad. Fizzy lime syrup finish. Terrible. Simple imbalanced crap.

Mf: Light and watery garbage. Overcarbonated. Weak and bland.

Dr: This garbage beer is unbelievably bad. Have it with a lime if you must have it; any beer that requires such an addition is awful on general principle. Avoid this one. Really avoid it. It's a textbook F. I'd say it's probably worse than Foster's or Bud, but at a level this low we're just nitpicking. I will say the price tends to be okay.

D-

kojevergas, Sep 25, 2011

XmnwildX12, Dec 05, 2013
2.45/5  rDev +6.1%

It still baffles me that whenever there's a summer party people are like brainwashed to get this. It's usually like $13.99/12 which is more than most awesome microbrewery 12 packs!!! Anywho, I must admit on a hot day I don't mind one of these with a lime in it but after a long day of work I would never reach for this one. It's way too bland and fake tasting.. go elsewhere for the price.

oriolesfan4, Oct 03, 2008
2.68/5  rDev +16%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. clear bottle,

A: Pours a pallid yellow into a glass, with really no head to speak of, dissipates quickly leaving only a small, thin ring of clear foam around the glass.

S: Smells mainly of fermented corn, though it is much more evident than in a regular macro, no skunk, didn't expect it, as this came from a 12-pack.

T: This does not taste that bad. Haven't had this one in a while, and had forgotten what it tasted like. It has a simple corn flavour, not much else, but much better than your average macro-type lager beer.

M: Light, carbonic, bubbly, thin and watery.

D: A fair beer, better than most macros, but still, at the end of the day, its just a boring industrial lager. There are a lot better lagers out there, and better beers for the same price, so why waste your time with Corona? I'd drink it if I'm in the Sizzler, and there's no better beer around, but all and all, it's just not very good, and I would not spend my own money on it.

Halcyondays, Nov 13, 2007
1.83/5  rDev -20.8%

When ever I think of Mexico, I think of big hats, big moustaches, Bandits and crap beer.

You can blame Hollywood and the American film industry for the first three and Corona for the last stereotyping.

Yet here I am about to review the beer that gave Mexico a bad name. The first 'designer' foreign beer that was advertised all over the place to hit Great Britain (I believe). This bottle was left at my house by someone who came to my daughters Birthday party, I would never have paid for it.

I poured the beer into one of my Duvel glasses, I wanted to give the beer a chance.

To be fair it looked like a Duvel except the head fell away very swiftly. A little lighter than a Duvel really, very pale and crystal clear too.

I give all lager/pilsners a score of 3 unless there is something bad or good about them. This is as odourless as most, but with a stale bread aroma hanging around.

Insipid and tasteless, nothing to report.

Fizzy water comes to mind when considering the mouthfeel.

Glad I didn't buy this beer.

BlackHaddock, Aug 26, 2008
1.73/5  rDev -25.1%

Appearance: pours a very light yellow color with a short 1/4" white head that breaks apart immediately. No lime in the pint glass.

Smell: no aroma other than some funky sweetness.

Taste: taste profile is very weak as only some corn and mild sweetness can be detected. Any bitterness is weak and barely detectable.

Mouthfeel: very crisp throughout. Light in body. Clean aftertaste.

Drinkability: this is just an awful beer with no flavor. The lime must provide some flavoring to make this drinkable. I had this for beer for fun during a holiday get together, and just couldn't finish it. I was also frowned upon for asking for a glass and no lime. Ugh.

Gavage, Dec 26, 2007
3.35/5  rDev +45%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Consumed in September 2004 from a 12oz bottle. Well, I'm sorry to disappoint everyone, but this beer isn't that bad. But, it only serves one purpose. When you are dying of thirst on a beach, this is a good one to grab. It's not a pretty pour, it doesn't smell like anything special, but it's a decent beer when you want a quick one and there isn't anything else around but bud/miller/coors. At least this one has a bit more taste. Don't understand why it's so expensive though. I always have a 12pk on hand for when I am moving the lawn of doing something outside.

GClarkage, Oct 01, 2004
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.