Corona Extra - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona ExtraCorona Extra

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Extra Alström Bros
1.83/5  rDev -20.8%

When ever I think of Mexico, I think of big hats, big moustaches, Bandits and crap beer.

You can blame Hollywood and the American film industry for the first three and Corona for the last stereotyping.

Yet here I am about to review the beer that gave Mexico a bad name. The first 'designer' foreign beer that was advertised all over the place to hit Great Britain (I believe). This bottle was left at my house by someone who came to my daughters Birthday party, I would never have paid for it.

I poured the beer into one of my Duvel glasses, I wanted to give the beer a chance.

To be fair it looked like a Duvel except the head fell away very swiftly. A little lighter than a Duvel really, very pale and crystal clear too.

I give all lager/pilsners a score of 3 unless there is something bad or good about them. This is as odourless as most, but with a stale bread aroma hanging around.

Insipid and tasteless, nothing to report.

Fizzy water comes to mind when considering the mouthfeel.

Glad I didn't buy this beer.

BlackHaddock, Aug 26, 2008

wrightst, Jun 23, 2013

Corona comes in a CAN!?! Who knew? Not me, until recently.

The pour created a bone-white head that was reducing even as I was pouring. The NE-plus quality clarity in this pale-yellow beer was startling. They must have filtered the living Hades out of this beer before packaging it. The nose was light, a little on the sweet side, but not offensive. Mouthfeel was thin with a sweet, honey-like lager taste on the tongue. Finish had a mild sweetness, but nothing really jumped out. I can see why so many people add citrus fruit to this - it is pretty flavorless. Certainly, I've had better, but I've also had worse. Much worse. I can't really see returning to it, though. Maybe on draft or in bottle, just as a try anything once scenario, but no more cans of Corona Extra for the Woodman.

woodychandler, Apr 05, 2008
1.25/5  rDev -45.9%

duceswild, Feb 14, 2013
2.56/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Review from notes I found on my phone from over a year ago. I think my brother is to blame for this...12oz clear glass bottle poured into a tired hands oversized wine glass because i'm THAT guy. It appears a perfectly clear straw yellow color with a white finger that is quick to fade.

The smell is skunky initially right out the gate despite being held in a fridge and not exposed to any light. It has a corny grain sweetness to the nose and a hint of sulfur. It doesnt smell that good but it is on par with the style I guess.

The taste is sweet like corn. Sulfur and a bit skunky. A very minor herbal aspect. Some faint indistinguishable hop bitterness balances things out with a touch of something almost like bubblegum.

This is a medium to light bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. The skunky aspect made this different from the usual macro adjunct. I think I did a great disservice to this brew by pouring it into a glass. Had I shoved a lime down the bottle neck and chugged it, it would have been 'enjoyed' slightly more.

stakem, Dec 20, 2013
1.83/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a clear golden yellow color with a very thin white head that fades quickly. Nothing special about the aroma or flavor other than it is refreshing on a hot day. If it is served freezing cold with a slice of lime on a very humid day it can be drinakble, otherwise avoid at all cost.

corby112, Nov 27, 2008
2.5/5  rDev +8.2%

I intentionally waited this long to review this beer because I've been told that it's actually decent on draft. Well...after finally having it on draft in Mexico, I can put that myth to rest.
Appears a transparent light gold with a thin white head that quickly fizzles away into a mild collar. A few spots are left.
Smell is of lemon and flaked maize. Even the lager yeast seems to be dulled down in the draft version. If there are hops in here, they are extremely mild.
Taste...it is what it is. Crispy cereal with bubbles.
Mouthfeel is spritzy, light bodied, easy to drink, lemony & semi-dry in the finish.

weeare138, Feb 04, 2009
1.73/5  rDev -25.1%

A: Pours a crystal clear pale golden yellow in color with some light amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a finger tall soapy bright white head that quickly reduces to nothing but a very thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal lacing is observed.

S: Aromas of skunk with a slight hint of adjunct malts - corn and grain.

T: There is a moderate flavor of sweet corn and grain adjuntc malts and very little bitterness. Also, slightly metallic but not sure why since it came form a glass bottle into a glass.

M: Light bodied with heavy amounts of carbonation. Thin and watery.

O: This is a pretty poor beer in my opinion and I understand why every other time I have had one served to me, I had it with a lime - you need something to change the flavor on this beer. Not one I will be having again anytime soon.

dbrauneis, Jun 06, 2012
2.7/5  rDev +16.9%

Light yellow and clear. Bottle clear with engraved label, Mexican symbols and stuff. Corn in the nose, medium bubble head, which fades quickly. Minimal flavor, no hops noticable. We all have tried and probably had our thirsts quenched by this stuff. Its better then Bud/Miller/Fosters etc. Crisp and refreshing. good on the beach or on a very warm day.

Billolick, May 25, 2004
1.95/5  rDev -15.6%

Part of my ongoing effort to review a bunch of readily available beers I've not put pen to paper about yet. Reviewed in a glass without the addition of lemon.

Pour? Well, you can see the colour straight away from the clear glass bottle, and even once it's in the glass, there's very minimal head, so it looks almost identical: a very pale yellow, almost getting towards clear. Large bubbled but surprisingly minimal carbonation. Head, as mentioned, is very weak, just a faint ring of fine white bubbles in a collar around the top of the glass. Uninspiring.

Nose? Well, you can see why you put a lemon in it. Forget the myths about clear glass, keeping flies away, increasing vitamin C intake: you add lemon because otherwise this beer has no aroma whatsoever. Nada. None.

OK, that may be exaggeration, because after filling my lungs with it for many minutes I do start to detect a slightly mealy corn adjunct character. Possibly the most unpleasant character to be had in isolation in a beer.

Taste is light and mealy as well, although it doesn't have any truly offensive characters to it. Much like the rest, it's just bland and unobtrusive. Slight lemony zing mid-palate, with a dry bready character on the finish. Carbonation is solid and bloating.

So bland. So, so bland. And it's depressing to think that that's why it's so popular. Easy to slug in the sun, but if I had to do it more often, it would leave me feeling depressed inside.

"Mas Fina"? Por desgracia no.

lacqueredmouse, Jan 04, 2011
2.35/5  rDev +1.7%

Served in its proper glassware, the bottle, with a wedge of lime. Normally I´d eschew the beer in the bottle and fruit thing. But as far as I can tell this is the proper serving technique. There´s still that cheap, grainy flavor, but the fruit helps make this drinkable and not an unpleasant experience. Try this once and call it a cultural experience.

tempest, Mar 12, 2007
1.5/5  rDev -35.1%

Georgiabeer, May 11, 2014
2.36/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Small white head leaves a nice lacing on a clear bright golden colored beer.

Light sour grain aroma.

Light sour grains in the taste, not much else coming through if anything.

This light bodied beer leaves a slight bitter, sour, and dry aftertaste that sort of lingers.

My initial thoughts were that I had wasted a $1.75 on this bottle of beer, but to the beer defense I did not try it with a lime wedge or two. And I know or now I know what that is so.

LXIXME, Oct 18, 2013
2.5/5  rDev +8.2%

ejimhof, Dec 30, 2012
2.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Um, yeah I've had a few of these before...This was my daily quaff on my honeymoon many years ago, and I still order a bottle or two occasionally when dining at Mexican restaurants.

The beer is clear and golden colored with a half inch of white head. A good looking adjunct lager.

The aroma is a bit skunky, and I highly recommend the addition of salt and lime to mask / enhance the aroma and flavor.

The flavor is simple and straightforward. Adjuncts, grain, corn, the usual suspects. Again, do yourself a favor and add the traditional salt and lime.

The feel is thin and watery. Good for summertime and/or pairing with spicy Mexican food.

Huhzubendah, Jun 04, 2012
2.68/5  rDev +16%

A 940 mL caguama purchased at the Mega outside of Bucerias.

A: The lager is pale and yellow, a straw color that seems paler than just about every other beer I've had this week. Small patches of lace are slowly drying.

S: Little nose, if any, wafts out of the glass. A hint of corn, some sweetness, but not much else.

T: The taste seems to parallel the nose, offering up corn and not much else. Grains and adjuncts drive the flavor, offering little else. A sickly sweetness lingers in the mouth.

M: Familiar? More like a haunting nightmare. Much like Corona Extra, this is an uninviting lager.

D: I split the caguama with three people and am luckier for it.

***

A bottle served with lunch at La Palma in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle. Lime promptly discarded.

A: The lager is fizzy and yellow, exactly as intended. A small ring of white head sits contentedly.

S: The nose is mild, highlighted by a sweet corn aroma. The nose is best when cold, as it tends to mask the adjuncts.

T: Again, the lager is best when cold, delivering a refreshing blast that lacks substance. As it warms, the corn and pale malts become more evident. As a result, the lager heads downhill. So drink it while it's cold! Hops? Someone forgot to add 'em. A good hot weather beer.

M: The fizziness of the beer is a plus, removing the bland flavors on each sip.

D: It's a hot day out, so I won't say no to another.

akorsak, Jan 20, 2010

The canned version of Corona was bland enough, but the bottled version has the potential to wreck havoc to my tastebuds thanks to its skunk promoting bottle. Again, I poured the sample into a glass without lime. All I gotta say is the bottle isn't any better. It isn't "spit-out" bad, there's just little there. Skunked spicy hops seem to take on the most flavor in the beer, which is almost like a light beer.

Conclusion: stay off the bandwagon and spend your money on something better.

DoubleJ, Jan 16, 2008
2.05/5  rDev -11.3%

Drank this in honor of a friend who passed away. It was the only beer he would drink.

A: Light, clear yellow in color. Small white head that is gone in an instant and left no lacing.

S: Not much going on. Some corn and other adjunct aromas, some graininess. Light skunkiness as well.

T: Pretty boring and watery. Typical macro/adjunct taste. Had this one without a lime, but it needs it. Slightly sweet malts and some corn. No hops at all.

M: Light bodied with high carbonation. Crisp, but not really refreshing.

O: Not what I want to be drinking..ever really. I know I will have it again, but it will likely be due lack of other options at a party or BBQ.

mdaschaf, May 19, 2011
2.48/5  rDev +7.4%

(Served in a strange)

A- This beer pours a pale straw yellow hue with a sea of big bubbles that supports a snow white head of big bubbles that almost makes it to the first sip.

S- The clean nose has no aroma until it warms quite a bit and then a faint dry sulfur and field corn note comes through in the finish but that is it.

T- The dry carbonic acid combines with a faint field corn taste and a bitter hint that doesn't have any hop qualities to it in the finish. There is a taste of cold water that comes though as the beer opens up.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with an almost astringent texture it is so dry. The huge scrubbing bubbles fizz scrapes my tongue clean.

O- This beer really doesn't have anything there it is all just bubbles and takes on a soda pop carbonation.

rhoadsrage, Sep 27, 2011
1.83/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a clear yellow brew, a bit darker than a Budweiser.

Smell is not skunked, got a good bottle. Smell is a synthetic smell; more like I am sniffing brake fluid than a beer. I finally can detect a mild sweet smell.

Taste is mildly sweet with a bit of corn taste to it. Near tasteless. There isn't anything really nasty about the taste. It just is lacking the slightest malt or hop or grain flavors.

Mouthfeel = Budweiser at best.

Drinkable? It is in a flavorless chugable way. I can find 6-7 better beers in Mexico without really trying.

Zorro, Mar 09, 2004
1.18/5  rDev -48.9%

Pours a two-finger white head that goes quickly and leaves no lace. Yellow color similar to urine. Light carbonation and very light bodied. Slight skunky nose. Starts and finishes very bland, no flavor, qualifies as a poor lawn mower beer. Why did I buy this stuff? I needed the bottle for my collection - now over 1650. $1.60 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, MA

jdhilt, Apr 09, 2005
1.75/5  rDev -24.2%

afsdan, Aug 17, 2014

Part of my Shitty Beer Review Series...What am I doing to myself?

A. Pours a light gold into a glass with NO HEAD after an agressive pour.

S. Skunk Grains. I immediately think "drain pour" but then I re-coup, gather my thoughts, and continue.

T. Ick. Skunky astringent corn. Some bitterness coming out of the stew of foulness.
I think they may have used hops, not sure.

M. A bit watery and slightly harsh.

D. Well, I tried it. A few swigs, then down the drain, I cannot continue to hurt myself. This is worse than Natural Light. The Swill to end all Swill.

Stinkypuss, Aug 17, 2008
2.58/5  rDev +11.7%

No head, pale yellow, straw color, some sediment (or maybe dirt) at bottom of glass (plastic)
Smell? Couldn't detect one. Maybe some malt and hops, citrus.
Tried with and without lime. Better with lime as it adds flavor. Drink very cold and if not in Mexico and are broke.
Can drink many as its like water.

Mebuzzard, Jan 26, 2006
2.03/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

Wasatch, Mar 13, 2010
Corona Extra from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.