Corona Light - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona LightCorona Light

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Light Alström Bros
Reviews: 371 | Hads: 1,825
4.84/5  rDev +164.5%

Again another great beer especially at the beach. Although it's typically a summer beer I enjoy it year round. Everyone has said it has a skunky smell but I think is smells more like cannabis due to the type of hops used. Tastes great with a lime!

4.5/5  rDev +145.9%

I am reviewing Corona light against other light beers. It is way beer then Bud light and Coors light.

Appearance: Nice light golden color.

Smells : It smells like beer.

Taste:It does not taste like a light beer. It has a great presentation in this beer. It has just enough bitterness in the finishing .

Mouthfeel: A good f carbonation.

Overall : A great summer thrust quenching beer. One of the few light beers I enjoy!.

4.24/5  rDev +131.7%

This beer is for either those who want to look cool with a bottle of beer & a lime that us is not much of a beer fan or those that like coronas but is counting their caloric intake such as my sister. Drinkable.

I heard that Corona Light has the same flavor profile as the Corona Extra. I have to say it has big flavor for a light beer.
Pours pale gold with about one finger of white three minute head. A few spots and streaks of lace. The head ring stays all the way to the bottom.
Smell is faint grain.
Taste is light malts with a nice noble hop bitterness in the finish.
It finishes dry refreshing and with a light hop bitterness.
Overall a big surprise for a light beer. One of the best I have had. No fruit, salt, or anything else added.

Corona Light has a thin, white head and a clear, straw appearance with a good amount of bubbles streaming up the glass. The aroma is bready, yeasty, and toasty. Taste is a predominance of lightly-toasted barley malt and there is a trace of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Corona Light finishes crisp, mild, refreshing, and dry. Overall, I was surprised by this one. Groupo Modelo hit the target. For a light beer, this is damn good (and, I'm not one for light beer).

3.93/5  rDev +114.8%

Very Pleasantly Surprised

I had always considered light beer to be pretty close to mule piss. But drinking all this beer has gotten me a little bit of a gut. I've been trying to give up sugary sodas. I'll never be able to give up beer though, and I had seen a lot of latinos in my neighborhood walking home from the supermarket carrying cases of light beer. I figured I'd give it a try.

I like Corona Extra so I got some Corona Light, and I wasn't disappointed. It's got a decent taste, feel and look pretty close to the real thing. I'm not a beer snob so maybe there are some people out there who don't like this. But for me in the summertime I like to hang out on the deck mingling and chit chatting while drinking a cold one, and a light beer isn't filling. Plus the alcohol content is lower so you can drink more without getting impaired.

All in all, this is a great summertime beer.

3.91/5  rDev +113.7%

Now, let me start this by saying I can understand how people think this stuff is piss. However, I am a big fan of light beers like this, especially on hot summer days/nights. So, here we go.

I like the way these beers look in the longneck bottle. Throw a lime slice in there (you have to otherwise the beer itself tastes like turd-the lime slice makes the beer) and I feel like I'm on vacation. Supposedly, the lime slice originates to Mexico...they did it as a way to keep flies away, but that is according to an idiot drunk I know, so who can be sure.

Smell-this stuff smells like not much, which is fine with me. Just like any other light colored beer...until you put the lime in. Then it smells nice and refreshing...like a lime. Go figure.

Taste-without lime, bland crap. With lime, tastes like a fermented citrusy sparkling water from somewhere good. If strong taste is your thing, you probably hate this crap. Sometimes, especially in hot weather, I want to drink something cool, light, and refreshing. This is the ticket if you ask me.

Mouthfeel-Kinda like water. Very thin, very carbonated and sparkling. Pretty good in my book.

Drinkability-I can go all night on these things baby. You can plow through these one after another unphased. It goes down like water for me. MMM MMM.

I'm all for supporting the little guy and independent companies, but when it comes to a really light refreshing beer I haven't found anything that compares to one of these. I'll keep looking.

3.9/5  rDev +113.1%

This is one of the best light beers going. I don't understand why a basic light beer from Mexico gets such a low score. Not every beer is from Belgium and full of strong heavy flavor. But to me, that is a great thing. I like to drink different beers at different times and this beer is a great easy drinking light beer with low alcohol so you can have a few and enjoy the sunshine. Lighten up Francis, it's just beer.

3.78/5  rDev +106.6%

I understand the ratings on this site based on comparisons with non-light beers, but for a light, this has been my beer of choice for several years. I actually like the grainy scent and taste. By the way, I normally go for hop-heavy beers, so go figure???

3.72/5  rDev +103.3%

Beers are like guns - some are for showing off and taking out once in awhile, those beers are judged, made with the best ingredients, are finely tuned...and some cost a pretty penny.

Corona Light is your everyday carry beer - its the beer you keep in the fridge for a refreshing beer after work, or on the weekend. It doesn't cost a whole lot, at present time - about $1 each.

I enjoy this beer a lot. I love fancy beers, but this beer is excellent considering the bottle reads that it only has:

99 Calories
4.1 ABV - I've seen 4.5 elsewhere

Other beers for twice the calories are twice as good, but they're not twice the alcohol

3.68/5  rDev +101.1%

Reviewing this in the context of other light beers. Hence the score.

Nice light golden color in transparent bottle. Looks great half buried in crushed ice, backlit by the blazing hot sun.

Much less of the skunky smell than regular Corona. A good amount of carbonation. With a bit of lime, the taste is clean from start to finish.

I like to have six of these waiting in the cooler after a few hours of yard work in the summer. Great thirst quenching beer. The only light beer I will drink.

3.59/5  rDev +96.2%

Light golden, carbonated body with a thin, white head that dissipates into a thin ring.

Smells of grassy hops and grain.

Tastes light, grainy, and has a small hop bite.

Mouthfeel: light and watery and carbonated.

Finishes dry, crisp, refreshing.

3.49/5  rDev +90.7%

Pours nice golden color with a lace of head. Smells less corn like than other adjunct lagers and has a little skunk to it. Goes down pretty smooth and taste is a lighter version of a macro but a little bitter in the back of the throat. Overall one of the better light macros out there. Not sure why this beer gets a bad rap.

3.38/5  rDev +84.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cracked two of these open in front of the fire on the eve of me and my duck's eighth anniversary. No limes, mind you.
Pours a hazy blonde, with little to no lacing on the snifter. Smells of dried ch'orange peels mashed with peanuts.
A great under-the-bleachers taste, with a faint, Charlie Brown-green bread flavor that lingers in the back of the mouth for a few seconds. Me and my gal- bimbo, limbo, spam- we both paused the relish on this one. She had another, and so did I.

3.38/5  rDev +84.7%

First, I do not understand why this beer has a "poor" reputation. It's decently drinkable, crisp and clean. Yes, so is water! But, we are discussing LIGHT beer here! (Anyone old enough to remember GABLINGERS ? The only beer I ever added salt to! Lime could not save this!!)
Like water, this is a brew for quenching thirst, not savoring!

3.33/5  rDev +82%

A. Bright yellow. Decent carbonation, and little head

S. Not very pleasent

T. Kind of skunky, im not a fan of fruit in my beer, but the lime makes it better. just a less full veriosn of the Extra

M. kind of watery, wasn't to pleasent

D. On a hot summer day or if your in the carribean its good.

Final thoughts: Lighter version of extra. If you wanna drink it, get a lime. It helps with the unpleasent taste. Drink on hot days. Cinco de Mayo

3.26/5  rDev +78.1%

Overall, i enjoy having these.. while in Mexico. I find it heavily carbonated and slightly overrated. The taste has no distinguishable characteristics, no hints of flavor, just carbonation. Even less taste than the extra. With lime, on a beach in mexico, I can enjoy it. But as an import, especially any time outside of the summer, this is not my beer of choice.

3.25/5  rDev +77.6%

Please see my review for Corona Extra, because these beers are almost identical. Which is a good thing for people watching their waist. I wish more beers could make a light edition this close to their flagship. Actually, I wish soda companies could do that, because Diet Coke is just gross. But the bottom line is, Corona is not a great beer, but they are perfect for that nice sunny day.

3.22/5  rDev +76%

a- bottle poured into a pint, light straw color, quarter inch head that faded pretty quick leaving minimal lacing and ring around the glass, not overly carbonated, lime slice put in after initial review.

s- little to no smell, not offensive at all, little corny, needs lime.

t- very light adjunct taste, grassy, corny, lime improves it greatly.

m- very thin, super watery presence.

d- i'm judging this for what it is, which is a super light, very easy to drink summer beverage, you know what your getting when you pick up a corona light.

3.2/5  rDev +74.9%

Served in bottle with slice of lemon. I've found i prefer this beer with lemon as opposed to lime. Slight skunky aroma that I've grown to expect from this beer as well as tolerate. It's almost expected as part of the mexi lager style. Light and lively carbonation. Very drinkable on a hot day. Little to no bitter aftertaste or hop aroma/flavor. Thirst quenching.

People hate on this beer, but I think it's perfect to have outside on the beach or by a pool. I could down a 6-pack with no problem and not be bloated and sick beyond belief. I think this is what it is made for.

3.15/5  rDev +72.1%

L: See through yellow
S: I put a lime in it, so citrus was prominent by my own doing.
T: The first drink was awful, but it got better. Kind of a skunked flavor, but overall such a mild flavor it's hard to trash it too much.
F: It's so light, but it sure goes down easy that way.
O: With a lime in it, it's a citrusy easy drinking beer. Not one I ever seek out.

3.1/5  rDev +69.4%

My girlfriend loves this stuff (with lime of course). Yesterday she showed up with a 12pack and a couple of limes. This beer gets slammed a lot and I really don't know why, it is what it is, a light lager and IMHO not a bad one and a cut above most of its macro competition. For the price difference I would probably go for some Tecate in a can instead, Corona is overpriced.

My last review was on hot summer day and it was fine, in fact at the moment I couldn't think of a beer I'd rather have. Yeaterday, a relatively cool day, it didn't hit the spot as closly as before but it wasn't bad at all, it was a damn good thirst quencher but not nearly as nice as the Hoegaarden I followed it with.

3.05/5  rDev +66.7%

It has a darker golden color as opposed to most in the category with a one finger head. The smell is of corn and is weak, more of an alcohol smell. The taste is more flavorful than most beers in this category, the taste is of grain and some malt. Nothing complex or exciting though. The mouthfeel is a little rough, a little overly carbonated. You good drink a couple of these but no more, better than the average light beer but no a great beer.

3.04/5  rDev +66.1%

Glass: Bell's Snifter

Appearance: A very aggressive pour produced barely a half a finger of head. Color is golden-yellow, and completely clear.

Smell: Bread, corn, a little metallic. An overall malty sweetness.

Taste: Very, very mild. Corn flavor, malt, bread, a little caramel, a little metallic.

Mouth feel: Very thin bodied ... like water. Medium carbonation.

Overall: An easy drinking beer with mild bread and corn-like flavors. Not too terrible, but certainly nothing special.

3.02/5  rDev +65%

little bitter and less blonde than the extra, good for womens and gringos, a novelty in my city, this beer is only for the us market and now in the mountains city; try with mexican food, poor in a pint glass, god for this season 6 or 10 for the thirst, 3° degrees is the perfect temperature; drinkability over the average; i recommend 65%.

Corona Light from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.