Corona Light - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona LightCorona Light

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Light Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,768 | Reviews: 416

Yeah, I like it. It isn't a hipsteresqe IPA that is so hoppy you cant drink more than one an hour, but it is good nonetheless. Hipsters, shakes head.

4.84/5  rDev +150.8%

Again another great beer especially at the beach. Although it's typically a summer beer I enjoy it year round. Everyone has said it has a skunky smell but I think is smells more like cannabis due to the type of hops used. Tastes great with a lime!

4.5/5  rDev +133.2%

I am reviewing Corona light against other light beers. It is way beer then Bud light and Coors light.

Appearance: Nice light golden color.

Smells : It smells like beer.

Taste:It does not taste like a light beer. It has a great presentation in this beer. It has just enough bitterness in the finishing .

Mouthfeel: A good f carbonation.

Overall : A great summer thrust quenching beer. One of the few light beers I enjoy!.

4.46/5  rDev +131.1%

Great for relaxing on the beach

I heard that Corona Light has the same flavor profile as the Corona Extra. I have to say it has big flavor for a light beer.
Pours pale gold with about one finger of white three minute head. A few spots and streaks of lace. The head ring stays all the way to the bottom.
Smell is faint grain.
Taste is light malts with a nice noble hop bitterness in the finish.
It finishes dry refreshing and with a light hop bitterness.
Overall a big surprise for a light beer. One of the best I have had. No fruit, salt, or anything else added.

Corona Light has a thin, white head and a clear, straw appearance with a good amount of bubbles streaming up the glass. The aroma is bready, yeasty, and toasty. Taste is a predominance of lightly-toasted barley malt and there is a trace of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Corona Light finishes crisp, mild, refreshing, and dry. Overall, I was surprised by this one. Groupo Modelo hit the target. For a light beer, this is damn good (and, I'm not one for light beer).

RJT

O.K. ... this is a context/ relativistic issue... for what it is...it is...OK

3.91/5  rDev +102.6%

Now, let me start this by saying I can understand how people think this stuff is piss. However, I am a big fan of light beers like this, especially on hot summer days/nights. So, here we go.

I like the way these beers look in the longneck bottle. Throw a lime slice in there (you have to otherwise the beer itself tastes like turd-the lime slice makes the beer) and I feel like I'm on vacation. Supposedly, the lime slice originates to Mexico...they did it as a way to keep flies away, but that is according to an idiot drunk I know, so who can be sure.

Smell-this stuff smells like not much, which is fine with me. Just like any other light colored beer...until you put the lime in. Then it smells nice and refreshing...like a lime. Go figure.

Taste-without lime, bland crap. With lime, tastes like a fermented citrusy sparkling water from somewhere good. If strong taste is your thing, you probably hate this crap. Sometimes, especially in hot weather, I want to drink something cool, light, and refreshing. This is the ticket if you ask me.

Mouthfeel-Kinda like water. Very thin, very carbonated and sparkling. Pretty good in my book.

Drinkability-I can go all night on these things baby. You can plow through these one after another unphased. It goes down like water for me. MMM MMM.

I'm all for supporting the little guy and independent companies, but when it comes to a really light refreshing beer I haven't found anything that compares to one of these. I'll keep looking.

3.9/5  rDev +102.1%

This is one of the best light beers going. I don't understand why a basic light beer from Mexico gets such a low score. Not every beer is from Belgium and full of strong heavy flavor. But to me, that is a great thing. I like to drink different beers at different times and this beer is a great easy drinking light beer with low alcohol so you can have a few and enjoy the sunshine. Lighten up Francis, it's just beer.

3.78/5  rDev +95.9%

I understand the ratings on this site based on comparisons with non-light beers, but for a light, this has been my beer of choice for several years. I actually like the grainy scent and taste. By the way, I normally go for hop-heavy beers, so go figure???

3.72/5  rDev +92.7%

Beers are like guns - some are for showing off and taking out once in awhile, those beers are judged, made with the best ingredients, are finely tuned...and some cost a pretty penny.

Corona Light is your everyday carry beer - its the beer you keep in the fridge for a refreshing beer after work, or on the weekend. It doesn't cost a whole lot, at present time - about $1 each.

I enjoy this beer a lot. I love fancy beers, but this beer is excellent considering the bottle reads that it only has:

99 Calories
4.1 ABV - I've seen 4.5 elsewhere

Other beers for twice the calories are twice as good, but they're not twice the alcohol

3.68/5  rDev +90.7%

Reviewing this in the context of other light beers. Hence the score.

Nice light golden color in transparent bottle. Looks great half buried in crushed ice, backlit by the blazing hot sun.

Much less of the skunky smell than regular Corona. A good amount of carbonation. With a bit of lime, the taste is clean from start to finish.

I like to have six of these waiting in the cooler after a few hours of yard work in the summer. Great thirst quenching beer. The only light beer I will drink.

3.59/5  rDev +86%

Light golden, carbonated body with a thin, white head that dissipates into a thin ring.

Smells of grassy hops and grain.

Tastes light, grainy, and has a small hop bite.

Mouthfeel: light and watery and carbonated.

Finishes dry, crisp, refreshing.

3.51/5  rDev +81.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Summer easy drinking beer. With a lime.

3.5/5  rDev +81.3%

Great summertime, outdoors, BBQ'ing by the lake beer. Not as good as Sam Adams Light but still quite drinkable.

3.5/5  rDev +81.3%

I think its a fine beer

3.49/5  rDev +80.8%

Pours nice golden color with a lace of head. Smells less corn like than other adjunct lagers and has a little skunk to it. Goes down pretty smooth and taste is a lighter version of a macro but a little bitter in the back of the throat. Overall one of the better light macros out there. Not sure why this beer gets a bad rap.

3.46/5  rDev +79.3%

Great with limes and a relaxing night

3.38/5  rDev +75.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cracked two of these open in front of the fire on the eve of me and my duck's eighth anniversary. No limes, mind you.
Pours a hazy blonde, with little to no lacing on the snifter. Smells of dried ch'orange peels mashed with peanuts.
A great under-the-bleachers taste, with a faint, Charlie Brown-green bread flavor that lingers in the back of the mouth for a few seconds. Me and my gal- bimbo, limbo, spam- we both paused the relish on this one. She had another, and so did I.

3.38/5  rDev +75.1%

First, I do not understand why this beer has a "poor" reputation. It's decently drinkable, crisp and clean. Yes, so is water! But, we are discussing LIGHT beer here! (Anyone old enough to remember GABLINGERS ? The only beer I ever added salt to! Lime could not save this!!)
Like water, this is a brew for quenching thirst, not savoring!

3.33/5  rDev +72.5%

A. Bright yellow. Decent carbonation, and little head

S. Not very pleasent

T. Kind of skunky, im not a fan of fruit in my beer, but the lime makes it better. just a less full veriosn of the Extra

M. kind of watery, wasn't to pleasent

D. On a hot summer day or if your in the carribean its good.

Final thoughts: Lighter version of extra. If you wanna drink it, get a lime. It helps with the unpleasent taste. Drink on hot days. Cinco de Mayo

3.26/5  rDev +68.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Its a decent beer, nothing special though.

3.26/5  rDev +68.9%

Overall, i enjoy having these.. while in Mexico. I find it heavily carbonated and slightly overrated. The taste has no distinguishable characteristics, no hints of flavor, just carbonation. Even less taste than the extra. With lime, on a beach in mexico, I can enjoy it. But as an import, especially any time outside of the summer, this is not my beer of choice.

3.25/5  rDev +68.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

An acceptable beach beer. Clean.

3.25/5  rDev +68.4%

Please see my review for Corona Extra, because these beers are almost identical. Which is a good thing for people watching their waist. I wish more beers could make a light edition this close to their flagship. Actually, I wish soda companies could do that, because Diet Coke is just gross. But the bottom line is, Corona is not a great beer, but they are perfect for that nice sunny day.

Corona Light from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.