2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Corona Light - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona LightCorona Light

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Light Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,293 | Reviews: 350 | Show All Ratings:
stephenjmoore

Maryland

2.03/5  rDev +7.4%

A- Settles in with a a very pale, golden body with crystal clear transparency. Head starts out a foamy white, but dissappears very quickly to leave a ring of white bubbles around the edges.

S- Wet corn, hints of toasted grains, not much more than that.

T- Sweet corn and grain flavors, watery bread, not all that offensive, but hardly any flavor to speak of.

M- Very thin and watery, carbonation is medium.

O- This is towards the bottom of the list for a reason, it is really not very good. That being said, it is light and drinkable.

04-06-2014 19:35:10 | More by stephenjmoore
RingoBro

2.19/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a Samuel Adams Boston Lager pint glass.

Pretty much no head on this beer and is clear yellow. Doesn't smell like much of anything, but I'd definitely take this over Bud Light, Coors Light, etc. Nice light beer to have during the summer at parties. If you want quantity > quality, this low-calorie beer is a great option.

12-21-2013 04:55:12 | More by RingoBro
Ron860

2.89/5  rDev +52.9%

Notes: Poured into a pilsner glass to see how 'light' this beer really is. Actually, if I *had* to drink Light beers this one would probably be my go-to beer over all others... well... I could probably tolerate a Heineken or Amstel Light as well, but this one, taking into consideration it's marketing purpose for refreshment, does what it is supposed to do. There wasn't any 'born-on' date but the one I tried seemed fairly fresh. I'm certain the turnover rate on these is quite steady given the average consumer pool of beer drinkers, which I must say, is significantly improving!

Appearance - Very, very pale yellow color, heavy carbonation, with a minimal head retention of about 30 seconds if you are lucky. No obvious sign of lacing on the glass either but a mere haze of what could have been. This brew is propbably the most clear I have ever seen next to water. If I were stranded in a desert, working in the hot sun, or just resurfacing my driveway for more than 5 hours during the summer, an ice cold Corona Light would look extremely appealing to me.

Smell - Very faint aroma of malt and barely any hops. Possibly some adjunct aromas such as old rice but nothing that stands out. A variable mix of sweetness and floral but very light.

Taste - I'm not certain what this brew is supposed to be other than just 'beer' or 'cerveza' but I guess the taste fits the style. I couldn't really determine what the flavors were that I was experiencing, so I had to continue trying the beer multiple times to find out. ;) It is not unpleasant but doesn't lend much to the imagination either. Basically, it tastes like a lighter version of Corona!

Mouthfeel - After a few 'sips' I can safely say that the drinkability of this beer is very high. Even with it's light watery body, it has a very smooth and refreshing texture but leaves more to be desired. No complaints, but nothing very impressive either.

Overall - Obviously, Grupo Modelo knows what they are doing. If there was not a demand for this product it would not be marketed. Quite frankly, is the beer an Anchor Steam, Samuel Adams, Defiant, Theakston Old Peculiar, Dogfish Head, or Delirium Tremens?... absolutely not. But it holds a place in the refreshing and enjoyable beer market that is quite successful.

12-15-2013 23:08:11 | More by Ron860
BEERchitect

Kentucky

2.49/5  rDev +31.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Hot, sticky and arid- no, I'm not talking about the beer... at least, not yet. But in a world where outdoors means everything, its no surprise that the need for refreshment, thrist quenching character and ease in drinkability take center stage. The problem is that all those properties are attempting to manifest in beery form.

Much more like champagne, the beer pours with absolute clarity. Not even a smidgen of gold tries to impede the light- just the faintest canary yellow hue possible can be seen from its highly filtered appearance. The head character takes on fizzy proportions until the streams of carbonation are depleted- then still and with no lacing to boot. After the bubbles, there's simply nothing left.

Grain sweetness and minimal floral hops decorate the nose and in simplistic fashion. Lacking any meaningful aromatics, depth or structure there's really nothing to talk about other than the light flowery nose, wet grain, metal, light-struck character and maybe a whiff of apple-like sulfur.

Its taste is of dry crackers because of its leading grain character. Any actual malt character has been fermented or filtered away. What was floral is now lightly straw-like and mildly bitter in finish. However, the bitterness struggles to reach beyond the bite of iron or the sulfur-rich finish. Lightly vegetal, I get a slight corn-like sweetness in the middle that cleans up before the taste closes. Still- odd that the thing that gives the beer most of its flavor just might be its carbonation.

The lightest of light on the palate, there's little that gives the beer any added mouthfeel beyond seltzer water. Any would-be creaminess flutters away in a flashing glimpse, leaving a scrubbing sensation and mild grain-derived astringency in its wake.

In all honesty, the beer is fairly clean- but then again so is water. Perhaps enjoyable for its thirst quenching properties in the presence of crashing waves and not air conditioning- it might be what beer drinkers drink to sober up. But its not exactly what true beer enthusiasts crave when wanting beer.

09-19-2013 19:41:08 | More by BEERchitect
dacrza1

1.74/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

DATE TASTED: September 1, 2013 ... GLASSWARE: Warsteiner pokal... OCCASION: celebrating the last Sunday before school begins...APPEARANCE: wateresque in density; champagne-like bubbles cascade swiftly; thin, liquid white head...not bad... AROMA: funky off-kilter cardboard (!) and some lemony zest--odd without the lime...otherwise, flat and malty...PALATE: soft, spritzy and extremely drinkable as a light ought to be...little aftertaste...TASTE: not much apart from the soft malts--more likely, corn and rice... OVERALL: a tickling rinse of sunshine that, in the right context, is pleasing if only because it is fleeting, and the repetition is encouraged by the beer's absent character...out of context, minimal calories that could still be better spent eating a Dorito or two...

09-19-2013 00:59:55 | More by dacrza1
JuicesFlowing

Kansas

2.06/5  rDev +9%

Poured into a Corona shaker pint.

Look: Clear light straw color. Fizzy white head recedes to nothing, no lacing.

Aroma: Very, very metallic. Barely a trace of anything resembling adjuncts.

Taste: Again, very metallic. Corn husk comes through a little? Faintly sweet.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated, light.

Overall: Just too metallic. Couldn't taste much. Worse than Corona Extra.

06-08-2013 00:33:37 | More by JuicesFlowing
bbluemzbeer

4.5/5  rDev +138.1%

I am reviewing Corona light against other light beers. It is way beer then Bud light and Coors light.

Appearance: Nice light golden color.

Smells : It smells like beer.

Taste:It does not taste like a light beer. It has a great presentation in this beer. It has just enough bitterness in the finishing .

Mouthfeel: A good f carbonation.

Overall : A great summer thrust quenching beer. One of the few light beers I enjoy!.

06-02-2013 16:27:53 | More by bbluemzbeer
ChrisKayler

3.06/5  rDev +61.9%

Glass: Bell's Snifter

Appearance: A very aggressive pour produced barely a half a finger of head. Color is golden-yellow, and completely clear.

Smell: Bread, corn, a little metallic. An overall malty sweetness.

Taste: Very, very mild. Corn flavor, malt, bread, a little caramel, a little metallic.

Mouth feel: Very thin bodied ... like water. Medium carbonation.

Overall: An easy drinking beer with mild bread and corn-like flavors. Not too terrible, but certainly nothing special.

05-29-2013 00:51:27 | More by ChrisKayler
bnes09

1.44/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

Considering this is my 500th review, I thought I'd review something special. Here we go, Corona Light!

Light and clear as hell straw colored lager with some visible bubbles. Weak, soda-like head recedes to a sudsy corona around the glass.

Rough corn and rice adjuncts aroma. Skunky.

Can't really taste any malt here, just coarse and bitter corn and dry white rice. Herbal hop with a tart lemon character, unbalanced. Finish is metallic.

Light bodied and overly carbonated. Dry finish and no texture.

All-in-all, dreadful. Just a mess of off aromas and flavors which do not blend well together.

05-01-2013 02:03:22 | More by bnes09
armiakhe

3.03/5  rDev +60.3%

The appearance of Corona Light was a pale yellow coloring. It smelled a bit different and maybe a little musty and tasted a little watery. I thought that it went better when I tried a lime with it instead. I think that it has a bland taste but a nice appearance overall.

04-25-2013 05:09:18 | More by armiakhe
finstadp

1.85/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I recently had a bottle of Corona Light this weekend. It had a clear yellow appearance but did not smell very pleasant. In fact, it smelled almost musty. The taste was similarly musty but and very watery. It felt very light in my mouth and did not have any body at all. Overall I would rate this beer a 1.75. I was not impressed. It wasn't terrible with a Mexican food pairing but it still did not do much to help the poor taste.

04-23-2013 16:50:03 | More by finstadp
chinchill

South Carolina

2.14/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A pint on tap as part of the (re?)introduction of this beer in keg form ... this is a good idea for a beer bottled in clear glass.

Appearance: Pours clear, thin-looking, and very pale yellow in color with a short-lived white head.

Smell: Contrary to many reviews of the bottled version, this was not particularly skunky or sulfuric. Instead, it had a faint aroma of light, bready malt.

Taste: very light, as advertised, featuring a touch of barley grain with a bit of corn and a hint of hops,

Mouthfeel: Very thin-bodied with a water feel, but given some life by the medium carbonation.

O: Not offensive but not much to like either. At least I got a free hat.

03-27-2013 01:27:42 | More by chinchill
SometimesIfart

1.08/5  rDev -42.9%

A - Pours the clearest golden I have ever seen with no head and no lacing.

S - It's pretty much all skunk.

T - Dry and skunky. The flavor quickly recedes and leaves nothing.

M - Extremely thin bodied, with medium carbonation.

O - Overall, terrible. I'm pretty sure the only beer I have ever had that is worse than this would have to be Steel Reserve.

03-23-2013 05:10:27 | More by SometimesIfart
Bosoxfan20

Missouri

1.95/5  rDev +3.2%

A- Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Haystraw color with essentially no head. Quick fizz that dissipates into nothing. Clear .

S- Not much to report here. A little skunky. Some sweetness with an ever so faint biscuit.

T- Skunky flavors is noticed first...probably due to the clear bottle. Sweet malt comes next. Little to no hops present

M- decent drinkability. Smooth with okay carbonation. Average. Meh...

O- I think the review speaks for itself. Quite a change to go from my normal craft beer rotation to having a glass of my wife's corona light. But it has its purpose- hot weather, on the beach, not wanting to get full, and abundance of limes and salt, and few other options available.

03-04-2013 03:39:56 | More by Bosoxfan20
DavidS88

2.45/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ok maybe I'm breaking the rules here, but what I had wasn't actually a Corona Light. I'm currently in Madrid, Spain, and last night I drank a Coronita (Spanish for "Little Corona") and it actually wasn't terrible like real Corona Light is. Maybe they have a different formula for Coronita, I'm not sure, but please note that I will be reviewing that Spanish/international variant of the beer.

I got this at the Irish pub Dubliners in downtown Madrid for those in the neighborhood. Served in a bottle, it had the classic clear gold of Corona. I drank it straight from the bottle, so I can't really comment on the head, but I should note that most of the carbonation centered around the lime wedge I pushed into the bottle. While not exactly the highlight of the beer, I will say that Coronita lacked the usual skunky smell that is typical of both Corona Extra and Light in the U.S., which is why I'm inclined to say that they prepare it slightly differently. While it fell far short of spectacular, it was a vast step up from the Coronas in the states. The taste was also slightly different. I didn't find this to be nearly as watered down as the Corona Light. More like a watered down Corona Extra than an actual light lager. The added lime is an absolute must, though, so make sure you have some on hand. Mouthfeel was average, pretty carbonated and obviously not too heavy. I would honestly say that (surprisingly) this may be the best Corona product I've had... which isn't saying much, but if you're ever abroad and would prefer the devil you know to the devil you don't Coronita is a relatively decent brew with all the charm of an American light lager.

01-21-2013 22:01:16 | More by DavidS88
49ersandBeer

1.15/5  rDev -39.2%

I've never been one to decline a free beer. If I am at a buddy's house and there is only American adjunct lager available, I will drink it. My sister offered me a corona light at her house (she was on a diet at the time). It has a classic urine type appearance to it as most beers in this category have. It initially had a skunky smell to it with maybe a smell of water logged socks sitting in my backpack for a week would have thrown in. The taste is something awful. It's obviously very watered down but it tastes just as it smells. I cringed the first few sips then politely told my sister I couldn't stomach it any longer. I drank about half of the 12 ounce bottle. This is without a doubt the worst tasting beer I've ever had in my life and I've had all of the classic bad ones (PBR, Natural Light, Bud, Miller High Life, etc.). This beer is an entirely new kind of awful.

11-11-2012 21:07:13 | More by 49ersandBeer
Bierwolf

Missouri

1.68/5  rDev -11.1%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pilsener glass.

Appearance: Clear, pale yellow. Very little foam. when you hold the glass up to light you can see very small floaters suspended in the beer. A few bubbles rising up in the glass.

Smell: Yeasty, grainy, pungent.

Taste: Crisp and dry with a little hop bitterness. A little bit of a sting.

Mouth Feel: Light, thin and watery. A lot of carbonation.

Over All: I thought the beer to be a bit lacking in flavor and not really thirst quenching. It was a lot more carbonation than flavor happening for me. Not a refreshing drink.

10-31-2012 16:46:42 | More by Bierwolf
tobelerone

Connecticut

1.88/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

What is there to say about this one? Drinkers of craft beer, or quality beer of any kind, will already know this is one to avoid. Wound up drinking this while housebound during a hurricane in the tropics and I should have just stuck to water. Its fizzy and yellow with a distinct sulpherous aroma, skunkiness varies from bottle to bottle, corny adjunct flavors seem almost pleasant after the initial hit of stench.

Thin and watery body; ample carbonation; mouthfeel still manages to lack crispness and a clean refreshing quality. All the limes in the world cant save this one, I'm afraid. Light layers may not be very good as a group to begin with but this one comes close to the very bottom of the heap.

10-25-2012 11:17:44 | More by tobelerone
MEsoJD

1.68/5  rDev -11.1%

[Poured into a generic straight beer glass]

I: It should be expected how this review would go, but it’s important to note the place where a well-known generic domestic beer stands. Although I know this won’t be the most enjoyable experience, it’s good to remind myself how far I’ve come. When I was young and being introduced to beer, corona along with others similar brews to it were common. Corona was a beer that you wouldn’t drink for taste, but binged by playing drinking games like beer pong. That said, there are very few if any high rated lagers.

B: [4.10% ABV 12 FL. OZ. August 2012] Little information is provided on this bottle. What is provided is light nutritional and volume information. It’s always concerning when the ABV (had to check online) is missing from a bottle. As for the logo, I would say that it’s decent in terms of presentation, but I do appreciate the texture. Oh and would you believe that it’s not a twist off?

A: A very transparent yellow body with no head (even with an aggressive pour) whatsoever, and no lacing.

S: Skunky upfront, grassy, straw, offhand funk, and corn. If you search real hard, you’ll pick up very slight sense of citrus and malt.

T: Taste pretty much follows the smell. Bitter, skunky, straw, sweet corn, and a metallic aftertaste.

M: crisp, light bodied, high carbonation, and no alcohol presence.

O: There’s a big problem when a lime is almost necessary to make a beer drinkable. I couldn’t find myself to finish it. There’s not much to say here, I’m just thankful we have great counterparts out there. I wouldn’t recommend or buy.

09-06-2012 16:37:28 | More by MEsoJD
Darkmagus82

1.3/5  rDev -31.2%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a very light golden color with a medium head that fades almost instantaneously to leave almost no lacing.

Smell – The aroma is a mix of skunk, paper, and corn. Not to appetizing.

Taste – The taste begins watery with a very stale bready flavor. While not too appealing at first, the flavor only diminishes from there. Flavors of a stale corn flavor come to the tongue along with a papery and skunky flavor. In the end a very unpleasant flavor is left on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – Thin and watery with a high level of carbonation. While the carbonation helps hide the bad flavor the wateriness is just a little too intense. Somehow it seems even more water then water itself.

Overall – I have always been told when you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all, so…… (although I probably already said more bad things then I should have, but…)

08-09-2012 00:53:43 | More by Darkmagus82
JamesMN

2.43/5  rDev +28.6%

Appearance: Completely translucent pale hue. Basically non-existant white head.

Aroma: Skunked macro-lager smell. Just a hint of citrus if you really search for it.

Taste: Surprisingly clean tasting. No where near as skunked as the aroma would have you believe. Pretty watered down though. Not much to taste.

Mouthfeel: Crisp. Watery. Highly drinkable only if it's right out of the fridge but leaves the tongue a little dry.

Final Thoughts: Halfway through drinking the glass I added a lemon wedge. It improved the taste a tad, but really doesn't make a difference to the score. This is my first time having a Corona Light and it goes right up there with the blandest beers I've tasted.

07-24-2012 04:42:41 | More by JamesMN
JamesHenjum

1.43/5  rDev -24.3%

A: Some one could have urinated in the bottle and I would not have known. Incredibly pale and clear yellow.

S: Smells like skunky wet grass. Terrible.

T: Tastes like very watered down Miller or Coors. Slightly sweeter/citrusier with more skunk. No flavors standout.

M: High carbonation. Wet. Refreshing.

O: This is better than Cornona Extra. Because light beers are supposed to be light.

07-23-2012 04:36:13 | More by JamesHenjum
buschbeer

1.58/5  rDev -16.4%

12oz bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It is pale yellow with a generous portion of short-lived, white head. There are a lot of carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom.

S - Ah! The skunky smell of clear bottled beer. I guess I get some sweet corn in there, too.

T - It starts out skunky and has a acrid metallic finish. Yum!

M - It's like making love in a canoe. Damn near water.

O - It's in a clear bottle. It's from Mexico. It is craptacular.

07-06-2012 23:14:02 | More by buschbeer
tectactoe

1.63/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Corona Light is like taking something that is already piss-poor and stripping away and little, tiny bit of dignity it might have left. So pale you could read a small-font novel through it; aroma is on par with dropping a handful of grains, corn, and a few nickels into a cup of water; the taste is like drinking said water cup; mouth feel is like shaking up a 7 up and putting your mouth around the opening of the bottle.

It's not good stuff. I mean, it's not offensive or off-putting or anything necessarily, but it's just not really "beer". Its utter absences of the most beer related aromas and tastes make it hard to judge this fairly. Even for beers of this style, there are many better.

If you're gonna waste your time, just get the regular Corona. Don't bother with the Light. It's already light. It doesn't need to be lighter. Any lighter and it's just going to float away.

07-03-2012 05:32:30 | More by tectactoe
dbrauneis

1.75/5  rDev -7.4%

A: Pours a crystal clear pale straw yellow in color with light to moderate amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a quarter finger tall fizzy bright white head that quickly reduces to a very thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal lacing is observed.

S: The predominant smell of this beer is a moderate aroma of skunk that can be detected as soon as the beer is opened and poured. There are also some light to moderate notes of adjunct malt sweetness. The smell is almost offensive with the amount of skunk in it.

T: This beer has a very light/mild flavor overall and there is almost nothing to note in the taste. Very light presence of adjunct malts (corn and rice) with just the lightest hint of bitterness.

M: Light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Thin and watery.

O: Not a great beer or even a good one, I guess this is best drunk (if ever) in the hot sun at the beach for hydration - though I think I would personally prefer water. I hate the clear glass bottle as I'm sure that does not help with the skunky notes.

07-01-2012 10:26:30 | More by dbrauneis
Corona Light from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.