Corona Light - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona LightCorona Light

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Light Alström Bros
Reviews: 368 | Hads: 1,802
4.24/5  rDev +131.7%

This beer is for either those who want to look cool with a bottle of beer & a lime that us is not much of a beer fan or those that like coronas but is counting their caloric intake such as my sister. Drinkable. (210 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +114.8%

Very Pleasantly Surprised

I had always considered light beer to be pretty close to mule piss. But drinking all this beer has gotten me a little bit of a gut. I've been trying to give up sugary sodas. I'll never be able to give up beer though, and I had seen a lot of latinos in my neighborhood walking home from the supermarket carrying cases of light beer. I figured I'd give it a try.

I like Corona Extra so I got some Corona Light, and I wasn't disappointed. It's got a decent taste, feel and look pretty close to the real thing. I'm not a beer snob so maybe there are some people out there who don't like this. But for me in the summertime I like to hang out on the deck mingling and chit chatting while drinking a cold one, and a light beer isn't filling. Plus the alcohol content is lower so you can drink more without getting impaired.

All in all, this is a great summertime beer. (898 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +72.1%

L: See through yellow
S: I put a lime in it, so citrus was prominent by my own doing.
T: The first drink was awful, but it got better. Kind of a skunked flavor, but overall such a mild flavor it's hard to trash it too much.
F: It's so light, but it sure goes down easy that way.
O: With a lime in it, it's a citrusy easy drinking beer. Not one I ever seek out. (365 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -30.1%

It was cold and wet and very thin , tasteless, watery. No apparent aroma. Water has more flavor. It scores more than water in that there was carbonation and a pale yellow color (177 characters)

2.69/5  rDev +47%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Yeah it is swill but drinkable swill. Golfing? May be your only choice over bud and bud light. On a holiday? You may have no other choice but Heineken at a tropical venue. Goes down smooth and easy on a hot day. Sometimes you gotta drink what you got. (257 characters)

Socal checking in. Everyone here drinks this. It's always everywhere and even on a hot sweltering day it is not refreshing. I have had many nights drinking coronas with my Mexican amigos and let me tell you this. It is the worst beer. Worse than a chilada and a chilada is fucking nasty. (288 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +164.5%

Again another great beer especially at the beach. Although it's typically a summer beer I enjoy it year round. Everyone has said it has a skunky smell but I think is smells more like cannabis due to the type of hops used. Tastes great with a lime! (250 characters)

2.04/5  rDev +11.5%

Pale yellow kicks up an open white foam that recedes to a faint ring. Smells of grain, sourness. Tastes grainy, earth, metallic. Light body falls apart, strongly carbonated. Corona Extra has its place but this..well it's not very good and I can't really fathom at what point the average Corona drinker decides to really put the kibosh on whatever flavor or lack thereof to save a few calories with this stuff. To each his own. On tap for the 2015 Old Chicago Cinco de Mayo mini tour. (483 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +90.7%

Pours nice golden color with a lace of head. Smells less corn like than other adjunct lagers and has a little skunk to it. Goes down pretty smooth and taste is a lighter version of a macro but a little bitter in the back of the throat. Overall one of the better light macros out there. Not sure why this beer gets a bad rap. (324 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Fizzy water that wants to be beer. Looks pale and clear, with a white foam head that dissipates quickly. Aroma and taste are mild. Overall a light beer that lacks any character. (177 characters)

1.52/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Better get an extra lemon for this one... If Corona Extra is a drunk Mexican's piss in a bottle, then Corona Light is the same drunk Mexican's piss in a bottle, but taken after he started to sober up. (200 characters)

1.84/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Despise the fame, Corona beers are not good and Corona Light is one of the worst. You have to put lemon and salt in order to make it drinkable. It gives a horrible after taste flavor. (183 characters)

2.25/5  rDev +23%

If your going to drink a light beer your better off finding a cheap domestic brew. This stuff is over priced and tasted like skunk piss. Terrible beer with a wierd buzz (168 characters)

1.95/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

330 mL bottle pulled from the singles bin of my local LCBO; coded 080514 (I am guessing that means it was packaged on May 8 2014 or Aug 5 - either way, not ridiculously old). Listed at 3.9%, and served ice cold.

Pours a pale, clear straw-yellow, topped with one finger of fizzy white head that rapidly vanishes. A soapy film remains behind, along with a slight collar. Yes, this looks like light beer alright. The aroma is skunk city, and not in the charming, restrained way of some Euro lagers. This just smells like a wet garbage bag full of boiled vegetables, located in a neighbourhood where a skunk was recently run over. Absolutely unappealing, although as an interesting aside this may be the most aromatic Light Beer I've ever had the displeasure of sniffing.

This beer's bright spot is probably the flavour, and that isn't saying much because it doesn't actually taste like much of anything. Sort of like a soggy corn chip, diluted by a couple of orders of magnitude, as if this were some sort of homeopathic remedy. It finishes with that cardboard flavour I find in many light lagers, and that's all she wrote. This is one of the most flavourless beers I have ever consumed, which is in stark contrast to the stinky, unrelenting aroma. Thin-bodied, watery, and fizzy, like this sort of beer is supposed to be. Refreshing I suppose, if you can get past the skunk. I usually can, but this one is just too pungently sulphurous to ignore.

Final Grade: 1.95, a regrettable D-. I have reviewed many American-style adjunct lagers, and while there are definitely a lot of stinkers in that category, there are plenty of cheap, serviceable options as well. I often find that the BA aggregate average overstates the crappiness of these types of beers, but Corona Light is one instance where it is spot on. This is inexcusably, offensively bad, and just a fetid excuse for a light beer all around. I would not pay money for this again, and I doubt I'd accept it as a freebie, either. Light beer fans can easily find something that costs less and doesn't smell like roadkill. (2,077 characters)

I heard that Corona Light has the same flavor profile as the Corona Extra. I have to say it has big flavor for a light beer.
Pours pale gold with about one finger of white three minute head. A few spots and streaks of lace. The head ring stays all the way to the bottom.
Smell is faint grain.
Taste is light malts with a nice noble hop bitterness in the finish.
It finishes dry refreshing and with a light hop bitterness.
Overall a big surprise for a light beer. One of the best I have had. No fruit, salt, or anything else added. (531 characters)

2.37/5  rDev +29.5%

I just finished reviewing the more calorie-rich bigger sister of this beer. I felt as if I may get ill from it. But since I'm taking one for the team, I might as well review the Corona Light I picked up tonight, also for $1.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle, poured for appearance.

Appearance (2) : Almost identical to Corona Extra but a thinner head that recedes quicker and a slightly more pale, apple color.

Smell (3) : The dirty diaper smell came out again, or maybe I'm just smelling drunk Mexican. I dunno. A closer whiff reveals a slightly pleasant buttered cracker and fresh hay smell. This smells identical to Corona but sweeter and actually fruitier.

Taste (3) : Better than Corona Extra. By a mile. I think they toned down the nasty corn notes so it's a smoother, more palatable lager. It's still not amazing, and it has a bit of sharp crude corn tartness, but overall it does taste a smidge better. I'm getting some light butter cracker, some plastic, straw, and then the maize flavor again. Corn flavor is comparable to Miller High Life.

Mouthfeel (2) : Pretty light bodied and heavily carbonated. Not much to it, I think it would wisp away if one left it longer than a day.

Overall (2.37) : Surprisingly better than Corona Extra, if only for the fact that there's less Corona "flavor". I have Corona Extra still here on my desk (I couldn't bare to finish it for fear of illness), and comparing the two side by side it's easy to say that Corona Light is a more palatable drink. That being said, it's still rather terrible. (1,538 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass at Sam Snead's in Pooler, GA. I have had this beer before, usually drunk and after sitting for hours in the sun. This time i was sober and in air conditioning. The result was horrendous. This beer has no real beer flavor and the taste that is does have makes me want to regurge. It looks like unflushed toilet water and the aroma is notn-existent unless you have been fortunate enough to toss in a lime.
There is nothing redeeming about this beer. The absolute worst. (517 characters)

2.12/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Had some sitting in the fridge, so I thought I may as well review it.

serving: ~40F bottle poured into stem glass.

Appearance: typical macro lager look. For a light beer, it has a surprisingly rich yellow color, but absolutely no head. I don't think Corona really cared about how this would look in a glass, especially considering the commercials always present it in the bottle (with a lime stuck in it).

Smell: As you would expect with a light lager, there's not much going on here. Some sweetness and grain. Thankfully not as much corn going on as the Corona extra.

Taste: Light, watery, and inoffensive lager. The corn/vague adjunct flavor strikes back in the aftertaste.

Mouth: Water seems to be the running theme here, with some crisp from the carbonation.

Overall: Corona light is an inoffensive macro light lager. When I first had it, not realizing it was the light version, thought something like "wow, Corona doesn't taste as crappy as I remember it, in fact it tastes like nothing at all!". I mean, you can't really rail on this beer for being flavorless, it's nothing like the nauseating Keystone Light, but then again it's pretty expensive for what it is. As far as light beers go, you could do worse. I've used it for carmelizing onions and they turned out pretty well, so maybe there's a use for it after all. (1,334 characters)

This beer is good in one way and one way only. It has to be 90+ out, super sunny day, sitting near water (beach, pool, river, lake, etc.), the beer must be ice cold, and you have to have a lime wedge shoved into the bottle. No glass. Must be from the bottle. In a moment such as this one though, it is a very refreshing beverage to have.

Would purchase again, but ONLY in this scenario. (387 characters)

2.47/5  rDev +35%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Sampling right now on 6/19/14. Seen it over the years but never tried it, let alone a review. Bought a single bottle for $1 in the discount bin to try. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner glass with a lime wedge on the side, just like the 'Corona Extra' right before this one.

Pours pretty much like the regular Corona which is a pale straw-yellow. A very thin white head is seen and it's gone! No lacing is seen either. The aroma is just of some grass for the most part. Nothing special. The taste is well...isn't as good as a regular Corona by any means and is of some grass with a slight weak 'watered-down' finish. Nothing to get excited over by any means and glad I just bought a single bottle for a $1.00, which that is probably over-priced. (792 characters)

2.94/5  rDev +60.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A - Light golden, moderate froth, moderate to heavy lacing

S - Mildly tart, bitter corn

T - Not a lot discernible to me, corn?, watery, stale

M - bitter aftertaste, moderate to heavy carbonation

O - It is what it is, cheap beer, readily available most anywhere in the US (274 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Its Corona Light. Enough said.
Its wide distribution, clear bottles and mass market strategy makes this beer easily attainable in the US, Mexico and in some other regions. A skunky smell and taste is typical and has become characteristical to the beer. Light malt taste, bitter aftertaste and high carbonation represent this beer's experience in my mind - reminds me of eating stale-ish popcorn. I do find it enjoyable in certain occasions, like lying in a beach in Mexico, but by no means is this something I typically go after. (529 characters)

2.05/5  rDev +12%

A- Settles in with a a very pale, golden body with crystal clear transparency. Head starts out a foamy white, but dissappears very quickly to leave a ring of white bubbles around the edges.

S- Wet corn, hints of toasted grains, not much more than that.

T- Sweet corn and grain flavors, watery bread, not all that offensive, but hardly any flavor to speak of.

M- Very thin and watery, carbonation is medium.

O- This is towards the bottom of the list for a reason, it is really not very good. That being said, it is light and drinkable. (539 characters)

2.18/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a Samuel Adams Boston Lager pint glass.

Pretty much no head on this beer and is clear yellow. Doesn't smell like much of anything, but I'd definitely take this over Bud Light, Coors Light, etc. Nice light beer to have during the summer at parties. If you want quantity > quality, this low-calorie beer is a great option. (336 characters)

2.87/5  rDev +56.8%

Notes: Poured into a pilsner glass to see how 'light' this beer really is. Actually, if I *had* to drink Light beers this one would probably be my go-to beer over all others... well... I could probably tolerate a Heineken or Amstel Light as well, but this one, taking into consideration it's marketing purpose for refreshment, does what it is supposed to do. There wasn't any 'born-on' date but the one I tried seemed fairly fresh. I'm certain the turnover rate on these is quite steady given the average consumer pool of beer drinkers, which I must say, is significantly improving!

Appearance - Very, very pale yellow color, heavy carbonation, with a minimal head retention of about 30 seconds if you are lucky. No obvious sign of lacing on the glass either but a mere haze of what could have been. This brew is propbably the most clear I have ever seen next to water. If I were stranded in a desert, working in the hot sun, or just resurfacing my driveway for more than 5 hours during the summer, an ice cold Corona Light would look extremely appealing to me.

Smell - Very faint aroma of malt and barely any hops. Possibly some adjunct aromas such as old rice but nothing that stands out. A variable mix of sweetness and floral but very light.

Taste - I'm not certain what this brew is supposed to be other than just 'beer' or 'cerveza' but I guess the taste fits the style. I couldn't really determine what the flavors were that I was experiencing, so I had to continue trying the beer multiple times to find out. ;) It is not unpleasant but doesn't lend much to the imagination either. Basically, it tastes like a lighter version of Corona!

Mouthfeel - After a few 'sips' I can safely say that the drinkability of this beer is very high. Even with it's light watery body, it has a very smooth and refreshing texture but leaves more to be desired. No complaints, but nothing very impressive either.

Overall - Obviously, Grupo Modelo knows what they are doing. If there was not a demand for this product it would not be marketed. Quite frankly, is the beer an Anchor Steam, Samuel Adams, Defiant, Theakston Old Peculiar, Dogfish Head, or Delirium Tremens?... absolutely not. But it holds a place in the refreshing and enjoyable beer market that is quite successful. (2,272 characters)

Corona Light from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.