Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Corona Light | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

YOUR RATING = None |
awful
awful
Read the review

Corona LightCorona Light

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico | website

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001

Reviews: 377 | Ratings: 1,892
2.22/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

quickly fizzing tiny head
Smells like skunk. Very light smell of grain and metal
Tastes like corn husk, metal, grain, and a bland generic citrusness
Very light, somewhat fizzy
Not sure if this is skunked or if this is how it normally tastes. The sign of a good cheap beer. Very drinkable

1.56/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Not much to say here. What little taste there is quickly fades into nothing. Skunky, smelly, and not very enjoyable. There are much better choices out there.

2.62/5  rDev +42.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This example of the Brewers art is only a weaker version of Corona Extra, which in and of itself is already weak & thin enough. Pours clear pale straw with 1 inch of shortlived, white head, no lacing. Aroma corn/grain, faint hop tones. Taste corn, some alcohol spice, yeast, hop bitterness in finish. Aftertaste is grain, a hint of bitter & not much else. Watery & thin.

3.75/5  rDev +103.8%

Let's face it, this isn't some high-end beer. This is what you drink on hot days at the pool or barbecuing in the backyard. This beer isn't made to win tastes awards, yet it still tastes pretty good. Has a good lager flavor without any frills. Very refreshing.

Look - very golden yellow
Smell - It's a Corona brand, so has the skunk smell, but not nearly as strong as Corona Extra
Taste - Stronger lager hops with really no sweetness.
Feel - thin but not disappointing. Can sometimes be a little sudsy in the bottle.

They aren't trying to be pretentious when making this. You get what you pay for. Drop a lime in it for a little extra flavor to sweeten it up. Tastes great with Mexican food (obviously), any sort of chicken or fish dishes, or if you want a couple of light beers while relaxing. For some reason it always tastes better in hot weather. Enjoy it for what it's worth. The Taco Bell of beers.

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. "Corona Light"
12 oz. clear glass bottle

Let's face it, Corona Light is just Corona Extra with water added, there's nothing going on in its production beyond that. So how does it stand up? Pretty well I think. The flavor profile is the same as the original, and the balance remains as there are hardly any hops in Corona to begin with. It's fairly well made, and except that they're using clear glass for the bottles which can lead to skunking, it's not a bad light beer. Calorically it's not a real winner though as the following list suggests:
110 - Bud Light
109 - Corona Light
102 - Coors Light
96 - Miller Lite
95 - Michelob Ultra

3.35/5  rDev +82.1%

Let's face it, this is a beer that anyone who appreciates a good beer would only drink in certain occasions. I'm the type that enjoys a good IPA or wee heavy, or whatever, but when I want to sit on a hot day and drink a lot of beer, this beer is perfect for that. This or Modelo Especial are my beers of choice for quantity, not quality (and the lower calories is a plus).

Anyways, It looks like a clear yellow, not much of a head with some carbonation. I am drinking it out of a can so the smell is pretty much non existent. I tried to get a whiff of it and didn't really get anything.

The taste. It's a mexican adjunct lager, there isn't a complex taste here. Although, when had out of a can it doesn't have the typical skunky flavor of corona that's sat in the light at the grocery store for who knows how long.

The feel is very crisp and light, not much of an aftertaste.

Overall, I really don't understand the hate for this beer. FOR WHAT IT IS, I give it a 4. You know what you're getting when you buy a Corona, so why would I rate it a 2 when I enjoy drinking it even though I know it's not a "good beer?" Overall, for the purpose I'd give it a 4/5.

IF YOU DRINK IT FROM A BOTTLE IT'S GOING TO BE SKUNKY. That's all imports, mexican beers especially. They sit in the sun in clear bottles ,and then in the grocery store. Light causes beer to develop the skunky taste/smell.

This beer has the look smell taste and feel of watered down urine. Urine with none of the calories and none of the flavor. I advise you to avoid the frat boys drinking this at all costs.

1.75/5  rDev -4.9%

Yellow color with a fluffy head with short retention.
Bad aroma with notes of sulfur, lemon and sweet cereals.
Flavor with notes of lemon, mild cardboard and sweet grains. Dry aftertaste with a mild but perceived bitterness.
Watery body with good carbonation.
This really should be made just to drink as Micheladas.

4.24/5  rDev +130.4%

This beer is for either those who want to look cool with a bottle of beer & a lime that us is not much of a beer fan or those that like coronas but is counting their caloric intake such as my sister. Drinkable.

3.93/5  rDev +113.6%

Very Pleasantly Surprised

I had always considered light beer to be pretty close to mule piss. But drinking all this beer has gotten me a little bit of a gut. I've been trying to give up sugary sodas. I'll never be able to give up beer though, and I had seen a lot of latinos in my neighborhood walking home from the supermarket carrying cases of light beer. I figured I'd give it a try.

I like Corona Extra so I got some Corona Light, and I wasn't disappointed. It's got a decent taste, feel and look pretty close to the real thing. I'm not a beer snob so maybe there are some people out there who don't like this. But for me in the summertime I like to hang out on the deck mingling and chit chatting while drinking a cold one, and a light beer isn't filling. Plus the alcohol content is lower so you can drink more without getting impaired.

All in all, this is a great summertime beer.

3.15/5  rDev +71.2%

L: See through yellow
S: I put a lime in it, so citrus was prominent by my own doing.
T: The first drink was awful, but it got better. Kind of a skunked flavor, but overall such a mild flavor it's hard to trash it too much.
F: It's so light, but it sure goes down easy that way.
O: With a lime in it, it's a citrusy easy drinking beer. Not one I ever seek out.

1.28/5  rDev -30.4%

It was cold and wet and very thin , tasteless, watery. No apparent aroma. Water has more flavor. It scores more than water in that there was carbonation and a pale yellow color

2.69/5  rDev +46.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Yeah it is swill but drinkable swill. Golfing? May be your only choice over bud and bud light. On a holiday? You may have no other choice but Heineken at a tropical venue. Goes down smooth and easy on a hot day. Sometimes you gotta drink what you got.

Socal checking in. Everyone here drinks this. It's always everywhere and even on a hot sweltering day it is not refreshing. I have had many nights drinking coronas with my Mexican amigos and let me tell you this. It is the worst beer. Worse than a chilada and a chilada is fucking nasty.

4.84/5  rDev +163%

Again another great beer especially at the beach. Although it's typically a summer beer I enjoy it year round. Everyone has said it has a skunky smell but I think is smells more like cannabis due to the type of hops used. Tastes great with a lime!

2.04/5  rDev +10.9%

Pale yellow kicks up an open white foam that recedes to a faint ring. Smells of grain, sourness. Tastes grainy, earth, metallic. Light body falls apart, strongly carbonated. Corona Extra has its place but this..well it's not very good and I can't really fathom at what point the average Corona drinker decides to really put the kibosh on whatever flavor or lack thereof to save a few calories with this stuff. To each his own. On tap for the 2015 Old Chicago Cinco de Mayo mini tour.

3.49/5  rDev +89.7%

Pours nice golden color with a lace of head. Smells less corn like than other adjunct lagers and has a little skunk to it. Goes down pretty smooth and taste is a lighter version of a macro but a little bitter in the back of the throat. Overall one of the better light macros out there. Not sure why this beer gets a bad rap.

1.69/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Not a great beer, it tastes very watery and has an almost sour taste to it even without a lime, it doesn't smell very good either, it smells like sweet corn.

1.44/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Fizzy water that wants to be beer. Looks pale and clear, with a white foam head that dissipates quickly. Aroma and taste are mild. Overall a light beer that lacks any character.

1.52/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Better get an extra lemon for this one... If Corona Extra is a drunk Mexican's piss in a bottle, then Corona Light is the same drunk Mexican's piss in a bottle, but taken after he started to sober up.

1.84/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Despise the fame, Corona beers are not good and Corona Light is one of the worst. You have to put lemon and salt in order to make it drinkable. It gives a horrible after taste flavor.

2.25/5  rDev +22.3%

If your going to drink a light beer your better off finding a cheap domestic brew. This stuff is over priced and tasted like skunk piss. Terrible beer with a wierd buzz

1.95/5  rDev +6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

330 mL bottle pulled from the singles bin of my local LCBO; coded 080514 (I am guessing that means it was packaged on May 8 2014 or Aug 5 - either way, not ridiculously old). Listed at 3.9%, and served ice cold.

Pours a pale, clear straw-yellow, topped with one finger of fizzy white head that rapidly vanishes. A soapy film remains behind, along with a slight collar. Yes, this looks like light beer alright. The aroma is skunk city, and not in the charming, restrained way of some Euro lagers. This just smells like a wet garbage bag full of boiled vegetables, located in a neighbourhood where a skunk was recently run over. Absolutely unappealing, although as an interesting aside this may be the most aromatic Light Beer I've ever had the displeasure of sniffing.

This beer's bright spot is probably the flavour, and that isn't saying much because it doesn't actually taste like much of anything. Sort of like a soggy corn chip, diluted by a couple of orders of magnitude, as if this were some sort of homeopathic remedy. It finishes with that cardboard flavour I find in many light lagers, and that's all she wrote. This is one of the most flavourless beers I have ever consumed, which is in stark contrast to the stinky, unrelenting aroma. Thin-bodied, watery, and fizzy, like this sort of beer is supposed to be. Refreshing I suppose, if you can get past the skunk. I usually can, but this one is just too pungently sulphurous to ignore.

Final Grade: 1.95, a regrettable D-. I have reviewed many American-style adjunct lagers, and while there are definitely a lot of stinkers in that category, there are plenty of cheap, serviceable options as well. I often find that the BA aggregate average overstates the crappiness of these types of beers, but Corona Light is one instance where it is spot on. This is inexcusably, offensively bad, and just a fetid excuse for a light beer all around. I would not pay money for this again, and I doubt I'd accept it as a freebie, either. Light beer fans can easily find something that costs less and doesn't smell like roadkill.

I heard that Corona Light has the same flavor profile as the Corona Extra. I have to say it has big flavor for a light beer.
Pours pale gold with about one finger of white three minute head. A few spots and streaks of lace. The head ring stays all the way to the bottom.
Smell is faint grain.
Taste is light malts with a nice noble hop bitterness in the finish.
It finishes dry refreshing and with a light hop bitterness.
Overall a big surprise for a light beer. One of the best I have had. No fruit, salt, or anything else added.

2.37/5  rDev +28.8%

I just finished reviewing the more calorie-rich bigger sister of this beer. I felt as if I may get ill from it. But since I'm taking one for the team, I might as well review the Corona Light I picked up tonight, also for $1.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle, poured for appearance.

Appearance (2) : Almost identical to Corona Extra but a thinner head that recedes quicker and a slightly more pale, apple color.

Smell (3) : The dirty diaper smell came out again, or maybe I'm just smelling drunk Mexican. I dunno. A closer whiff reveals a slightly pleasant buttered cracker and fresh hay smell. This smells identical to Corona but sweeter and actually fruitier.

Taste (3) : Better than Corona Extra. By a mile. I think they toned down the nasty corn notes so it's a smoother, more palatable lager. It's still not amazing, and it has a bit of sharp crude corn tartness, but overall it does taste a smidge better. I'm getting some light butter cracker, some plastic, straw, and then the maize flavor again. Corn flavor is comparable to Miller High Life.

Mouthfeel (2) : Pretty light bodied and heavily carbonated. Not much to it, I think it would wisp away if one left it longer than a day.

Overall (2.37) : Surprisingly better than Corona Extra, if only for the fact that there's less Corona "flavor". I have Corona Extra still here on my desk (I couldn't bare to finish it for fear of illness), and comparing the two side by side it's easy to say that Corona Light is a more palatable drink. That being said, it's still rather terrible.

Corona Light from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.