Corona Light - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona LightCorona Light

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Light Alström Bros
1.58/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Wait, I thought Corona was a light beer! You're telling me they made a lighter version of an already light beer?!

Bottom of the list? I must review this.

A: Bad. A person with poor vision would mistake this for water.
S: I smell nothing.
T: It truly taste like water with beer food coloring added to it.
M: Satisfied my thirst and for that I'm grateful.
O: Not good. Not the worst beer I've ever had in my life, but a beer that I dont need to consume ever again.

BCGabbo, Jun 24, 2011
1.6/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Out of bottle.

A: Pale yellow, thin white head.

S: Smells like beer. nondescript hops, and alcohol.

T: Tastes like UGH, not what I want to have again.

M: Thin watery and over carbonated.

D: Fantastic after a few nice ones, and the cooler starts to get low.

drowninginhops, Jun 22, 2011
1.55/5  rDev -18.8%

I was at a backyard party today (a hot day) and this looked refreshing, plus the choices were limited. Drank it straight from the bottle with no lime.

A-if there was a urine soda, that's what this would be. very pale and extremely carbonated. the head fizzles down in seconds like soda pop does.

S-just skunk, that's all i'm getting.

T-this is like having sex in a canoe. (it's fucking close to water) with almost no flavor other than skunkiness. Now I see why people add limes to this. To mask the horrible flavor with citric acid.

M-hey on a hot summer day, this is actually pretty refreshing. But then again, so is water. Go with the water.

O-I've heard that Corona intentionally skunks their beer by using the clear bottles, because apparently some people like this??! Maybe this tastes good fresh; and maybe it tastes better with the lime. But regardless, there are far better options. Hey if you want a good summer beer that's refreshing, take some Goose Island 312 and add 50% water, and you'd have a similar beer but maybe it'd taste half way decent!

GoldenVIKE, Jun 06, 2011
1.4/5  rDev -26.7%

This is by far the worst beer I have ever had.
Even served cold, the smell is hardly existent (which won't kill a beer for me) but a tiny bit of graininess.

The color is pale yellow.

The taste is bitter, that's it. It's not like it's a Killians Red or something which I enjoy. But seriously, it tastes like alcohol and grain.

The drinkability is only mildly okay because it's so watery.

It may be refreshing on a hot day, but that's it.

JoLight, Jun 04, 2011

Corona Light has a thin, white head and a clear, straw appearance with a good amount of bubbles streaming up the glass. The aroma is bready, yeasty, and toasty. Taste is a predominance of lightly-toasted barley malt and there is a trace of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Corona Light finishes crisp, mild, refreshing, and dry. Overall, I was surprised by this one. Groupo Modelo hit the target. For a light beer, this is damn good (and, I'm not one for light beer).

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Jun 01, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -34.6%

Poured into a pint glass as I cannot allow this beer to touch my Duvel tulip...

Clear straw yellow in color, super fizzy head, zero retention and a ton of carbonation

I'm swearing off clear bottles I swear, the skunk is strong with this one and it's all I can smell

Tastes like bubblegum and garbage, the forced carbonation amplifies this to a horrific level. Super powerful with these 2 flavors nothing else as far a flavors go

Slick on the palate and light in body, super fizzy and not refreshing in the least.

Overall, I think I shaved 10 years of my life with this brew, skunked batch of awful. Seriously though clear bottles are now a turn off when it comes to beer, only redeeming quality is it's not bad to observe from a safe distance

Fenris244, May 27, 2011
1.13/5  rDev -40.8%

Pours a clean pale yellow color with a small white to no head at all. In the aroma, small skunkiness to a light, sweet European lager smell. In the taste, watery European pale lager to nothing. A small bite and light bodied mouthfeel, with a small dryness to clean aftertaste. Watery, no real taste. ICKY!

OWSLEY069, May 26, 2011
1.53/5  rDev -19.9%

24 oz can poured into a Negra Modelo stemmed glass.
JH11CO28 on the bottom of the can, no info.

Happy Cinco de Mayo. I wish I was having a margarita. This wont even come close to sufficing...

A - Stunningly clear and piss-pale yellow with extreme carbonation and a deafeningly loud effervescence (ok, that's a BIT of an exaggeration). The loose white head disappears in mere moments.

S - Almost no distinguishable beer aroma, it's full of dry straw and sweet-ish hints of corn. I'll admit it smells "refreshing" though.

T - Almost, almost flavorless. Dry, husky straw and mildly sweet corn pull through. This one tastes much (and that's an overstatement) better with a lime.

M - Crisp, clean, overly carbonated, and very, very light-bodied, you might even consider calling this sparkling water.

O - Would it refresh on a hot beach? Yes. Will it quench the desire for a remotely flavorful beer? Most definitely not. While it's certainly not good, it's definitely not the world's worst beer. I never have the "Light" version but the Corona's I drink very few and far between always have a lime.

BeerFMAndy, May 06, 2011

First had: at some terrible bar, I'm guessing

Pours yellow-gold, thin, and fizzy, often served with a lime (I'm assuming so you can blind yourself with it and be taken to the hospital before having to drink the Corona). Smells stale; tastes of pure skunk personified and sickeningly stale/sweet. Bitter, rotten aftertaste. Avoid at all costs.

My theory on how Corona is made...many agree with me: 10000 Mexicans each drink a bottle of cheap tequila and then pee into a large vat. Then the contents of the vat are bottled up and shipped to your local dive bar!

Rifugium, Apr 29, 2011

This beer is the WORST commercial light beer is America, completely imperfect, very thin, very boring, and skunked. Why would Grupo Modelo make a beer that is lighter than an already light beer. Almost worthy of a drain pour (of course I'm not going to do that).

Samadamsfan2, Apr 05, 2011
1.3/5  rDev -31.9%

24oz can.

A straw yellow colour, pretty decent head of foam, and some lacing? More than I expected.

The nose is bittersweet. Light notes of grain, a perfume like sweetness, and a bitter smell that is kind of lemon like and the sum= not looking forward to tasting it.

Now, on the bad part. Grainy, slightly bitter, typical, or is it, flavours you get with a Light beer though most I have tried didn't offend; this one does. Messy, unbalanced, vegetal like madness thrown in. Yuck. Terrible beer that I don't need to go on about..

Bitterbill, Mar 29, 2011
2.6/5  rDev +36.1%

piss clear in a bottle. low carb. Smells like nothing much, a little corn. Tastes about right. Low low bitterness, some alcohol, watery, watery piss water. It is what it is, which is better than bud and miller light and worse that busch and michelob light.
I will drink this again when it is free again, which will likely be in an hour or so.

dragonWhale, Mar 26, 2011
1.02/5  rDev -46.6%

My review for Corona Extra is as follows:
Ok, so this beer couldn't be more popular amongst most people. Haven't been able to see what the hype is though. It comes in a clear bottle that doesn't hide anything. It's clear yellow flavor is minimal and the only thing that really gets this beer something special is a lime wedge. That's pretty much it... Without the lime this beer is pretty much worthless to me.

Corona light is the same but about 2 times worse.

Knapp85, Mar 21, 2011
1.55/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

So I got around to reviewing Corona Light and trust me I meant to pick up the Extra version.
Anyways poured into and English pint glass (22oz).

A- Pours an ultra pale golden yellow fluid that produces a one inch fluffy white head that quickly falls to light froth and little to none lacing.

S- Corn grit, light metallics and hop funk dominate the nose but very mildly.

T-M- Taste is bland with only hints sweet corn husk, musky malts and a astringent like hop twang. Mouthfeel is well... watery and probabley the best part of this beer. Lawn mower beer and quick to drink. Not a favorite at the price.

D- Decent.

wesbrownyeah, Mar 19, 2011
1.35/5  rDev -29.3%

Pours a pale straw color. Loose white head falls fast.

It smells like skunk piss filtered through cream corn, then watered down with water from the Rio Grande.

The flavor is worse than the nose. It is so watered down I really cant pick out any one flavor.

Ill just say the mouthfeel is crisp at first, then my mouth is left with a slimy coating.

I cant drink this beer! This just might be the worst beer that Ive ever had!

sitarist, Mar 13, 2011

I don't understand how or why people buy, let alone drink this. Corona Extra is at least understandable to me. It's a summertime thing, it can be refreshing, yadda yadda yadda. This, the Light version, horrible. It's the palest beer imaginable. It's the clearest yellow they could manage and has a light white head. It smells of nothing other than skunked beer. There's literally nothing to it. The flavor too, it's skunk light. It isn't even worthy of a lime. It's also one of the lightest, most watery beers around. It isn't drinkable whatsoever. You might as well order soda water.

aasher, Feb 20, 2011
1.33/5  rDev -30.4%

As pale as yellow can get. Almost a clear yellow with a faint fizzy white head that disappears in the blink of an eye. Smells like cooked cream corn. There's more taste than I expected but that's not a good thing. It's a musty grainy flavor. Yuck! Mouthfeel is very thin and thier is very little after taste. THank goodness. If you have to add a lime to make it drinkable then I declare it undrinkable.

wcudwight, Feb 18, 2011
1.65/5  rDev -13.6%

"Nothing's better than having a Corona on a hot summer day." How many fucking times have you heard some frat-sorority douche say that? You know what I say to them? Shut yer fuckin yap!

But I digress, this is about the beer itself and not the scum-sucking spunk who slog this beer. So, I go in fresh drinking a most likely skunked Corona Light. Will I survive? Will I puke? Will I just give up and play video games instead? Wait and find out!! Or don't!!

Poured into my classic McDonalds Coca-Cola glass, and I must say it looks like a bubbling glass of stale urine. MMMmmmmMMMM!!!! The head burst onto the scene with mild results, then fizzled into basically nada - just like urine.

Holy unassuming shit, Batman!! This beer is like some type of ghost beer! I see the beer...but I can't put a finger on it. No smell, nor taste! *rolls eyes* Let me try again....I think my beer might be skunked - it has been in my fridge for a fortnight. Yeah, I can only smell a schtickle of moldy, corny grain. And I taste...just a drip of that familiar generic cerveza taste - shy, virgin grain.

The only thing this thing is good for, and it's still not good for, is the mouthfeel, because it's actually noticeable. Agua-like smoothness that's crisp and ready to be chugged.

This beer is a grade A piece of junk. But it's also a great beer to utilize for a big night of drinking games. It's simple, totally barf worthy, and probably cheap as shit - I dunno. I still don't like it, and I never will. The only thing I do like is their commercials. That Christmas one is a classic - honestly, a palm tree with Xmas lights? That's gold, and this is piss.

ElijahCSkuggs, Feb 15, 2011

This was my step dad's go to beer many moons ago when I was growing up, more so Extra than Light but Corona was his quality beer. Budweiser was his regular offering, btw. Again light pale golden clear bodied lager, low in alcohol. No lime wedge squeezed and shoved down the neck of the bottle for me. A good old fashioned pour into a fluted pils glass. Very pale yellow, quickly fleeting white head really no lace is left behind. Sorry looking beer, let's go for a few sniffs...cooked veggies/corn/rice with a solvent green/skunked/grassiness. Wow, this is the worst fuckin' beer I've ever tasted, it's got off flavors coming at the palate from every direction. I though cold temp would make this beer more suitable, this is unbearable. At first sip it was terrible, second sip no better not as rough. The off flavors begin to actually justify themselves and if served cold enough without a lime you may be able to drink the whole bottle. I'm starting to get a headache half way through, and I have drank mass produced swill beer my whole life, wtf? My head is now tingling like a just huffed on chemicals. This beer tastes wrotten with skunked/strong carbonation cooked vegetables not much sweetness or fruitiness pretty clean finish. Mouthfeel is watery/carbonation is crazy high like I just dropped an alka seltzer in it. Drinkability overall is a never again verdict, I will never dance with this devil again.

WVbeergeek, Jan 10, 2011
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Well, I've hit review #200 so I thought I'd travel to the opposite end of the spectrum and go with what it typically considered to be a universally bad beer.

Appearance: A sickly yellow colour that made half a finger of head that didn't lace or sustain, the only redeeming quality is the consistent carbonation rising from the body, but even that makes me raise an eyebrow as I get the feeling this might taste like seltzer.

Smell: It's skunked with some corn and dusty hops in the background. It's not outright offensive to earn the 1, but not a lot is redeeming this beer.

Taste: Lacking in extreme, and probably intended to have lime added to it to give it some flavour. It starts with some light corn taste and turns to a light dusting of frankly dusty hops.

Mouthfeel: It starts watery and the carbonation kicks it to give the hops that little touch of strength like a four year old getting a push on a swing he doesn't know how to use and quickly pans out his momentum as a tonic water and metal aftertaste lingers.

Drinkability: It's refreshing because it's watery, but if I wanted water I'd ask for water. It's bland and boring and the carbonation doesn't let it sit well.

Final Thoughts: This beer isn't the worst beer out there, but it's close. It's like it does the absolute bare minimum to stop you from saying it's without merit, and in some ways that's even more irritating. The other question is, why would you drink this when the already ludicrously light standard Corona would likely be available wherever this is sold. I think with some lime, this beer would rank around a D to D- but stand alone, it's a big ol' F, which I can't say I didn't expect.

TheHammer, Jan 05, 2011
3.2/5  rDev +67.5%

Served in bottle with slice of lemon. I've found i prefer this beer with lemon as opposed to lime. Slight skunky aroma that I've grown to expect from this beer as well as tolerate. It's almost expected as part of the mexi lager style. Light and lively carbonation. Very drinkable on a hot day. Little to no bitter aftertaste or hop aroma/flavor. Thirst quenching.

People hate on this beer, but I think it's perfect to have outside on the beach or by a pool. I could down a 6-pack with no problem and not be bloated and sick beyond belief. I think this is what it is made for.

nniicckkww, Dec 20, 2010

Presented in a nice clear bottle with a decent yellow color. Beer is skunky and smells terrible. Tastes like dirty water and leaves no taste in your mouth because it has none. As far as drinkability is concerned, you could pound a few if you are not a conoisseur or you just dont care about beer taste.

ronniebruner, Dec 17, 2010
1.5/5  rDev -21.5%

A: Pours a surprisingly light shade of straw, holds no head, and boasts no lacing. This beer looks about as sexy as the bearded lady at the circus.

S: They could market the term "odorless" for this brew, but then they would be discounting the nuance of creamed corn that I'm getting...

T: More creamed corn, no hops, no barley, just corn.

M: Have you ever had soda water on its own?

D: How do people pay a dollar per bottle of this junk? In all honesty, I would drink Natty Light over this. They taste about the same, but Natty is cheaper. On a side note, I hate corona from my days at Beers of the World, due to the countless bottles I had to sort that contained moldy limes.

Avagadro, Nov 26, 2010
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Flavor. There is none to be found. It's not like Rolling Rock though, where there's little flavor yet it's at least refreshing. This is just not at all enjoyable. I wasn't expecting much, but jeez, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Very fake with a typical faint adjuct smell and taste with a very, very pale yellow color. Essentially no head. Nothing positive to speak of.

cheesepuffs, Nov 16, 2010
1.18/5  rDev -38.2%

Reviewed from notes. Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a transparent golden color with a lot of carbonation and really not much of a white head. The nose is a bit skunky with some really, really light grain. The taste is just about nothing. Lightly-skunked hops and some faint grain husks. Very light with high carbonation. This tastes bad.

Thorpe429, Nov 14, 2010
Corona Light from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.