Corona Light - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona LightCorona Light

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Light Alström Bros
cdkrenz

Wisconsin

2.6/5  rDev +36.1%

A - I like a bottle with the label painted straight onto the glass. This qualifies. This light brew is a golden brown with no head after cracking.

S - The citrus smell of lime is all that's available.

T - There's light beer flavor over-ridden by the fruit.

M - Its actually real coarse and jagged for a light beer.

~ I must sadly admit this to be a novelty brew. It's been given the label of a tropical and festive drink. Unfortunately, the brewery should spend more time on what's in the bottle instaed of so much on advertisements.

10-03-2008 22:55:13 | More by cdkrenz
changeup45

1.27/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pale yellow color with not really much to it. No reason for a Corona Light. Drink half a Corona, fill it back up with water and you've got Corona Light. Kind of like a diet Corona and believe me a Corona doesn't need less flavor. Throw a lime in it and fire down tacos or fajitas and I'm sure the beer will be fine.

08-23-2008 16:36:55 | More by changeup45
itcomesnpints

1.2/5  rDev -37.2%

Paler than the gringo drinking it on the beach. Head, what's head? Faint smell of corn, mmm. Taste is on par with tap water. Mouthfeel is similar, maybe lighter than water. Drinkable only if you're making progress with the cute Mexican girl next to you. If you enjoy wearing lipstick, riding dolphins, shaving your legs, poodles, synchronized swimming and/or Oprah, look no further than this little bottle of fabulousness!

08-21-2008 22:38:55 | More by itcomesnpints
thirtysixbelow

1.38/5  rDev -27.7%

a - crystal clear gold color, looks refreshing

s - corn, grass, skunk

t - skunk, corn, and i'm pretty sure i taste something like glue (not that I have ever tried glue). definitely metallic.

m - well carbonated

d - this is just terrible. It looks refreshing on a cold day, but I couldn't finish it.

08-18-2008 04:48:38 | More by thirtysixbelow
scottyshades

2.45/5  rDev +28.3%

I do not see how this beer can receive a better rating that Natural Light, but I guess that is just my opinion...This beer is by no means a good beer, but I will admit that its drinkability is better than other light lagers. Especially when you live in Florida and live on a college budget, Corona is sometimes an alternative

08-16-2008 19:01:56 | More by scottyshades
clayrock81

1.78/5  rDev -6.8%

Corona is pretty light and watery as is, so I just had to see what this one was about. Seethru light yellow with a big head that died instantly; minimal carbonation. Smell is weak and airy, some grainy adjunct smell that isn't even quasi-citrusy like regualr Corona. Goes down extra smooth/slick because it is so light, unfortunately there isn't much taste rather than some citric hops and a mild backbite that lets you know you're drinking (this is without the lime, although it couldn't hurt at this point). I don't see the point in drinking this swill.

08-11-2008 12:01:24 | More by clayrock81
Rayek

Colorado

1.58/5  rDev -17.3%

I was at the family cabin, and this was in the fridge. I should have left it there.

A: Corn yellow brew has great clarity and lots of big carbonation bubbles. Tiny foamy white head leaves bits of lace.

S: Faint grass, apple and maybe a little metal.

T: Ouch. Even ice cold, this beer is bad. Tastes of fermented corn are balanced by a metallic bitterness. Metal taste lingers through the finish. As the beer warms past freezing, a taste of cooked veggies creeps in. I should have consumed this faster than I did.

M: Light and watery body with way too much fizz.

D: How does anyone in their right mind spend money on this? There are plenty of macros out there that beat this stuff hands down for 2/3 the price.

08-10-2008 16:06:46 | More by Rayek
Doomcifer

Rhode Island

1.5/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours an extremely clear, extremely pale yellow color. Lots of carbonation bubbles. Not much of a head. Smells slightly husky, other than that not much of anything. Same with the taste...slightly husky, very mild grains, no hoppiness at all. Very bland and watery with an off taste in the finish. Extremely carbonated, pretty crisp. I guess it's fairly drinkable if I had nothing else around...not by choice.

08-01-2008 22:54:42 | More by Doomcifer
jwc215

Wisconsin

2.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours straw yellow - as seen in bottle. Head retention decent for style - could be worse.

The smell is light seltzer with some husk.

The taste is the same. Not much going on other then a bit of husky astringency - not as much as Corona Extra, but it's there. Otherwise clean. Very mild maltiness, virtually no hop presence. Doesn't taste like much of anything, really.

It has a fizzy, light body that is fairly crisp - in a water sort of way.

Obviously, it's meant for people who are on a diet and want to put a lime in it without the flavor of beer (or much flavor at all). Less offensive than Corona Extra, though.

07-27-2008 13:37:04 | More by jwc215
LumpyGuitar

Had this at a party over the weekend, was amazingly...rancid.

Yellow liquid in a clear bottle, no head or carbonation whatsoever.

Smell, what faint bit there is, is mashed corn.

Taste is sour corn, rough bitter alcohol finish, even with lime theres no saving grace.

Mouthfeel is flat and uncharming, no carbonation, feels like I'm drinking flat soda.

I will never drink this again. Ever. Not even if you pay me or tempt me with better. Save your money and don't fall for the stupid "party and relax!" commercials.

07-26-2008 05:37:23 | More by LumpyGuitar
ItMakesMeHappy

1.68/5  rDev -12%

I am not gonna review this beer like the others.... Basically this beer tastes like tainted water. No hints of malt or hops just course flavors with no body. Its almost like this beer was brewed with all adjunct sugars and not an once of barley was used. The regular corona is light enough and this beer, in my opinion, is overkill.

07-25-2008 04:32:23 | More by ItMakesMeHappy
DoubleJ

1.48/5  rDev -22.5%

The greatest questions ever pondered by man:

- What is the meaning of life?
- What is our purpose here?
- Is there life on other planets?
- How do you make a light beer out of Corona?

It's the last question that got me thinking. If the regular one tastes light, how much lighter can it get? To find out, I have a 12 ounce bottle, which will be poured into a stange. And to note, this is a "No Lime Zone". On to the beer:

The fizzy head goes up, the fizzy head drops to a thin layer on top this faded urine color. At least the bubbles are fun to watch as they race towards the top. Through the nose, I am getting sulfur and cooked creamed corn. Faint skunked hops are there too. Now to taste:

Huh? What is this? There's faint cooked corn on the palate, and that's it. To boot, it feels very fizzy in the mouth with a watery body. No, no, no! I will not tolerate this kind of behavior from a beer. Prepare to get dumped.

Not one of my greatest moments, but I did this for you guys. I suppose it's fine for a customer to pay $25 a case if it makes them happy, but if they really want to feel happy while wasting their money, I would recommend recreational drugs to them.

07-23-2008 02:45:49 | More by DoubleJ
HugoGrim

2.45/5  rDev +28.3%

The look is exactly what you expect. Pale yellow, no head.

Aroma is oddly harsh. Bitter corn.

Flavor is bland and watery, but this is Corona Light so you're not drinking it because you want a full flavored beer.

Yes it's crap, and yes it's in a clear bottle. Say what you will (and you'd probably be correct) but this beer has it's place. Drop in a lime wedge (yeah, I said it) and relax with one or ten. This is the type of beer I would never buy, but I would never turn down if the mood is right and it were offered to me.

07-14-2008 00:21:23 | More by HugoGrim
dewalt

1.55/5  rDev -18.8%

A thin, pale swill. It smells like cheap, off-brand breakfast cereal, reminiscent of imitation Cheerios you'd buy at a discount store. There's little to no hops or malt flavor. Corona is defined mostly by a watery metal taste, like mineral water or seltzer. The only way to make this beer remotely drinkable is to shove a lime (or several) down its neck, add a little salt, and serve it so intensely cold that you freeze your taste buds and spare them the experience. It is not worth it.

06-29-2008 00:06:27 | More by dewalt
plaid75

2.2/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured a medium straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a light grain with elements of sweet corn and noble hop.

The taste was bland with an acrid, medicinal finish. Artificial.

The mouthfeel was of average fullness for the style.

An overall uneventful light beer. No real suprises here.

05-17-2008 17:03:11 | More by plaid75
ckeegan04

1.6/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

A - Somehow it is even fizzier and paler looking than most other light lagers. Head looks like the bubbles you get if you fill your glass up with water too fast.

S - A touch of creamed corn with a faint grainy sweetness.

T - Not sure. It tasted like lime once I added lime, but there really wasnt a taste before that. No hop profile noticeable at all. Somewhat astringent.

M/D - Thin, watery. Barely passable as beer.

05-06-2008 13:51:52 | More by ckeegan04
jayrod20

2.6/5  rDev +36.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Yea look it's your average beer, with mexican theme, and a lime. woo. I guess the only thing to say is that this beer is easily located with friends who dont explore their beverage tastes houses, but when given the choice of Corona Light and anything else they have, I'll take it.

05-06-2008 03:16:07 | More by jayrod20
rye726

Colorado

1.02/5  rDev -46.6%

Pale yellow color. Looks much better in the bottle. Does this little brother of Corona stand a better chance at greatness. No. The smell is skunky and grainy. I'm not sure it has a taste until you add a lime. Then, it taste like lime. The body is light and not refreshing like the commercials suggest. Not very drinkable in my book. This stuff is like $15 a 12 pack. Ridiculous. But good marketing.

05-05-2008 17:58:31 | More by rye726
Lexluthor33

1.53/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

First off,who has not had one of these.I have never poured this beer,always straight from the bottle. It has a sweet ,corn like smell with notes of astrigent and metal skunk. The taste is best when super cold and it tastes metallic but not too sweet as it can be a bit bitter and sometimes sour. I always put the lemon slice in and it always tasted better for it. Do not let it warm up or it will taste akin to warm urine.
It has a very light,water feel and very high in carbonation. I guess it can be a session beer for some folks.
Notes: I have been told by people I know that I should not look down upon this beer or the people who drink it because I once guzzled a few in my youth at a barbecue. Truth be told, in my youth and even early audulthood it was either Corona or Budweiser,the German beer did not suit my taste.
Listen,just because one was once ignorant to what good beer is really like does not mean that we have to embrace our past mistakes. I look back and I feel I always knew this beer was bad. I look back and yes I am glad I now know what a good brew is and all those still drinking this beer are left in the dark. End of Story.

04-21-2008 15:00:08 | More by Lexluthor33
CrellMoset

1.33/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

From a 12 oz. clear bottle into a pint glass.

A light, pale, straw gold with hints of orange. A huge, white, foamy three-finger head roars up, active carbonation keeps it strong. No lacing once drinking begins. Unfortunately, this is the best thing about this beer.

A burst of sweet corn adjunct, followed by whisps of corn adjunct, and hiding in the back, yeah, more corn. Although there are faint hints of sulfur compounds, this one doesn't smell skunked. Nothing going on here beyond the creamed corn and the faint sulfur/metallic smells.

Taste: This beer tastes like corn husks (not even the sweet, creamed corn that I smelled). There are some mild astringencies and chemical notes present too, but nothing that I would describe as "pleasant."

Mouthfeel: Looks more promising than it ended up feeling. Thin thin thin. Even swishing it around in the mouth to release the carbonation results in almost no body at all. I guess this beer kinda blew its proverbial load up front with that huge, bulbous head. Like drinking water.

Drinkability: Funky and one-dimensional smells/tastes make for an unpleasant drink, and general flatness makes it so that it isn't even crisp/refreshing. Maybe if you served it really, really, really cold so that you couldn't really taste it and that the temperature alone was enough to refresh you ... eh. It was a chore for me to finish, at least.

Not that anyone here needs to be told this, but avoid this beer at all costs.

03-24-2008 21:52:51 | More by CrellMoset
BucBasil

South Carolina

2.03/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance: Poured from the 12oz bottle into a tall pokal glass. The beer is a bright orangey color with a hint of gold, and no head to speak of.

Smell: Smells of rotten citrus with no malt to speak of...

Taste: Light citrus, but fades rapidly, quickly becoming skunky tasting, with a hint of a watery finish. Not pleasant at all..

Mouthfeel: Feels like a light beer should... Slightly carbonated on the tongue, fading quickly to a diet cola feel that is half-assed and clearly intended to intoxicate the drinker.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable, if only for the tastelessness of the beer on first glance.

Notes: Highly unrecommended by me... My lowest rating yet...

02-28-2008 06:49:06 | More by BucBasil
DmanGTR

1.08/5  rDev -43.5%

This was a "beer" that I had at a party, I'm glad I did not pay for this.

A - clear yellow, very few bubbles of carbonation, if any

S - slightly sulphuric, mild citrus aroma

T - bland, limey due to the lime wedge served with this. This might as well be a corn husk flavored water

M - watery, no "zing" of carbonation

D - if you can stand the smell and taste, then it's probably only good for temporary thirst quenching. Then again, you're better off with Gatorade.

I placed the term "beer" in quotes for this because this was absolutely revolting in my opinion. This is the ONLY beer (aside from Corona Extra and Blue Moon) that I simply could not finish. I had to give it away.

02-20-2008 06:34:49 | More by DmanGTR
BeerImmediately

1.78/5  rDev -6.8%

Rating this as a light lager ... i.e. relative to the other beers in this category.

Very faint, clear yellow color. Lot of carbonation, with tiny white head which disappears immediately.

Smell is hard to pull out, but somewhat earthy: lightly grassy / grainy.

Taste is somewhat unique for the style - hint of lemon/lime, but again, hard to recognize.

Mouthfeel is fine - it's a very light lager. Not much aftertaste, provided you down this while it's still under 40 degrees. Otherwise, you'll end up with a film on the tongue.

If you're looking for water with a kick, you can consider this drinkable. Certainly not filling.

02-16-2008 17:55:30 | More by BeerImmediately
Millerman

South Carolina

1.83/5  rDev -4.2%

I wanted to see what all the fuss was about this beer. I was not impressed. Not a very good tasting beer at all. Too bitter! A slight hint of rice. No head to speak of. Now I know why they put the lime slice on the bottle. I would not recommend this beer due the taste and price.

01-16-2008 01:27:54 | More by Millerman
skeetermoses

Oklahoma

1.88/5  rDev -1.6%

I would not turn this beer down if it were the last beer on earth, but it is one of the last beers as far as mexican beers goes that I would pick as last. I do not drink this beer on a regualar basis, but I would rather have a beer that is not lite like this one.

12-31-2007 08:05:18 | More by skeetermoses
Corona Light from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.