Corona Light - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona LightCorona Light

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Light Alström Bros

1.42/5  rDev -26%

Greetings from Mexico! I swear that I am relaxing. However, I thought that while I am here, I would review some of the local brews I had access to, so…

Reviewing Corona Extra and Corona Light side by side! Both are brewed by Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V., the same people who brew Modelo and Pacifico.
Corona Extra Score: 15
Corona Light Score: 35

My Corona Extra (left) was a tap pour served in a plastic cup. My Corona Light (right) came from a can, served in what looks like a pilsner glass of sort. Do not ask why one is in a plastic cup because there is no rhyme or reason behind it.

Appearance (Corona Extra): Pours a pretty transparent yellow, honey-brown color – almost cider like – with just under a half finger of frothy white head that dissipates into a lacing atop the beer. Come to think of it, this beer looks more like vitamin-heavy urine. Average lacing. 1.5/5

Appearance (Corona Light): Pours a much brighter yellow color than the Corona Extra, almost like a pinot (white wine). Thin layer of bubbly white head on pour that quickly settles into nothing. Below average lacing. 1/5
___

Smell (Corona Extra): Limes, corn and a little grain. A little “skunky” funk to the hops aroma. Has a light, acidic “white wine” aroma. 1/5

Smell (Corona Light): Still getting lime, but no real “skunky” hops funk. Perhaps because there is less of a skunked hops funk, I am also detecting more of the “white wine” aroma that I detected in the Corona Extra. Lighter corn/grains smell. Very flat. 1.5/5
___

Taste (Corona Extra): OK. If the aroma did not give this away, this beer is skunked. That seems a little odd, since it came from a keg…Besides the signature “Heineken flavor” (pre-skunked beer), I am also detecting a little lime and a lot of corn. The corn is a little malty. Also getting some stainless steel flavor. 1/5

Taste (Corona Light): Very crisp lime and corn flavor. Refreshing. No real linger, and a much subtler stainless steel flavor. 1.5/5
___

Mouthfeel (Corona Extra): Light bodied, low-medium carbonation. Honestly surprised by how little carbonation there is. Finish is pungent and acidic. 1/5

Mouthfeel (Corona Light): Light bodied, high-medium carbonation. Slightly bitter and acidic finish. 1/5
___

Overall: There is a reason the Bloody Mary is my drink of choice on vacation. Maybe a bad keg biased my Corona Extra experience, but this is my only Corona Extra experience and it was pretty unbearable. I wanted to drain pour it, but I do not think that you can do that in a pool. The Corona Light was a serious step up, but that’s not saying much. I really cannot say that I will ever drink either beer again. Ever. Seriously. I’d honestly rather drink a Keystone Light. USA! USA! USA!

Recommendations: Do not drink this stuff. It is objectively less “tasty” than Miller Lite. Casual beer drinkers should be ashamed.

Pairings: Lime wedge.

Cost: $12.99 for a 12 pack of either.

1.33/5  rDev -30.7%

I had this FROM A CLEAR BOTTLE! into a shaker pint. Here's hoping for something less than dreadful.

Appearance- It pours like water. There was not even a hint of fizz or foam on the pour. The beer is so pale. And I am really surprised the carbonation is so poor.

Smell- Welp, this one did not survive the light exposure. A moment of silence for our fallen amigo...

Okay, besides the horrible, awful skunk, there were some other, equally off-putting flavors. There was the hint of band-aid, street tar, and musty corn? It really is terrible, and I am not sure it would be any better fresh.

Taste- Skunk is right there with the corn husk. And the skunk just keeps on building through the drink. I am pretty sure I would still score this terribly without the skunk.

Mouth feel- This beer is watery. And over-carbonated, which may, in fact, be an improvement over a creamy version of this beer. That would be wholly undrinkable.

Overall- The beer as a whole package is dreadful. It smells like skunk, and even if it didn't, there would only be corn. And I am not sure the flavors of the beer would be any better. Obviously this beer should be avoided at all cost, unless you are looking for the tick.

2.5/5  rDev +30.2%

Corona Light from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.