Corona Light - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona LightCorona Light

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Light Alström Bros
mralphabet

12 oz. bottle, drank from the bottle, with lime.... I think it helps

A: Straw yellow.... small fizzy white bubbles when I added the lime.... Hey its beer and it is yellow.

S: A little skunky but not to with the lime added. Before the lime I'm getting a little corn and grass.... not much else.

T: Alker Seltzer with lime in it.... not offensive, just not a lot there.

M: Light and watery, it just what I was expecting.

D: It is what it is, light lager-looking beer, used just for refreshment. Not the greatest but not the worst I've every had.

05-31-2009 18:21:00 | More by mralphabet
thecarster1

3.23/5  rDev +69.1%

a- bottle poured into a pint, light straw color, quarter inch head that faded pretty quick leaving minimal lacing and ring around the glass, not overly carbonated, lime slice put in after initial review.

s- little to no smell, not offensive at all, little corny, needs lime.

t- very light adjunct taste, grassy, corny, lime improves it greatly.

m- very thin, super watery presence.

d- i'm judging this for what it is, which is a super light, very easy to drink summer beverage, you know what your getting when you pick up a corona light.

05-21-2009 17:24:53 | More by thecarster1
nlmartin

2.38/5  rDev +24.6%

Oh Lord!... What I am thinking? I enjoyed Corona Extra so much. I just had to get me some Corona Light. So after cleansing my Arrogant Bastard Pint glass. I broke out an ice cold can of Coronna Light. Perhaps the can will prevent the dreaded skunk effect of Corona? I guess I will have to try a Corona Extra from a can? That is for another day. Today it is Corona Light. There is no lime in my house. So its Corona Light straight up. Lets go for it Corona Light!... I will drink you! The can is open and the skunk isnt permeating my room. Is that a good thing? Now to the pour thank the beer Gods this only a 12 ounce can. A bomber of Corona is almost more than I can stand. The pour is done no bombastic skunk is noted. Still dont know if this is a good thing.

Appearance: The beer pours a fizzy yellow coloration. The head is about a quarter inch high. The retention is improved over Corona Extra.

Smell: The beer has a sweet corn aroma. The skunk isnt anywhere in the smell. A sharp spicyness cuts the sweetness.

Taste: The flavor of the beer is sweet corn adjunt. Very little else is going on with this beer. My initial score was 2.5 so I will let first impression carry the score.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: Ok the body is thin and watery. Is this a second running of Corona Extra? Oddly enough I find this version much improved over Corona Extra. Did the can remove the skunk profile? This is a throw back beer. I couldnt drink alot of this as it would bore the shit out of me. Not terrible but I dont think I will repeat.

05-19-2009 05:10:19 | More by nlmartin
Duhast500

Rhode Island

1.55/5  rDev -18.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a clear pale yellow and has no head or lacing.

The smell is a slight corn or grain flavor but is not too strong.

The taste is a bit watery and really does not have much in the way of flavor.

The mouth feel is pretty light as well as the drinkability. This beer is low in ABV so there is no real presence of alcohol or strong flavor that will hinder the feel of this beer.

05-12-2009 21:21:56 | More by Duhast500
MLasoski

1.63/5  rDev -14.7%

Simply said, stay with Corona Extra. There is no point in drinking this version considering Extra is light enough.

Served: in a bottle, drank from the bottle.

A: Straw-yellow, high carbonation.

S: Not good, I can say that much. Smells like it needs a lime.

T: It tastes pretty bad by itself. A lime will help its flavor, but it doesn't stand a chance against Corona Extra. It is light, however, the taste was diminished while they shrunk the calories.

M: It's not as crisp, refreshing, or pleasant to the palate as its counterpart.

D: If I haven't gotten the point across, stick with Extra. Corona Light isn't as enjoyable in the sun and summer. The lime takes away some of the problems though.

05-11-2009 01:55:54 | More by MLasoski
Poormon79

3.35/5  rDev +75.4%

A. Bright yellow. Decent carbonation, and little head

S. Not very pleasent

T. Kind of skunky, im not a fan of fruit in my beer, but the lime makes it better. just a less full veriosn of the Extra

M. kind of watery, wasn't to pleasent

D. On a hot summer day or if your in the carribean its good.

Final thoughts: Lighter version of extra. If you wanna drink it, get a lime. It helps with the unpleasent taste. Drink on hot days. Cinco de Mayo

05-10-2009 02:49:44 | More by Poormon79
KarlHungus

1.33/5  rDev -30.4%

This beer pours a clear pale straw color. The head is a half inch in height, and recedes quickly into sparse lacing. The aroma is of air and faint corn sweetness. The taste is like the aroma with the addition of a nasty funky taste. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a watery texture, and too much carbonation. Overall, this is not a good light lager. I will never drink this again.

04-30-2009 20:25:54 | More by KarlHungus
roddwolff

Mexico

1.75/5  rDev -8.4%

In the appearance, is a pale yellow color, good head of foam; corny taste, typical for a light beer; the mouthfeel is bitter, refreshing, and highly carbonated, causes you many belches.

The smell is carbonated, like mineral water; in the drinkability, is easy to drink.

04-11-2009 19:12:10 | More by roddwolff
Vonerichs

1.93/5  rDev +1%

This one was left over by guests. Since I converted to craft brews a little over one year ago I haven't had a light beer. It so happens I had an extra lime laying around, so what the hell.

No head at all, clear straw color. Looks like it could be shipped to the lab and tested for tetrahydrocannibinol.

Not much to the smell. It's basically grain and sulfur.

It tastes like alkaseltzer and grain. Seriously. Alkaseltzer and grain.

Watery with heavy carbonation. Not only does it taste like alkaseltzer, it feels like it.

I gave drinkability a bonus point only because it's compatible with a lime and limes are rich in vitamin C. Vitamin C is good for you.

Overall, this is a crappy beer that really just validated what I've been wondering... has the change to craft beers changed my perspective on quality? Resounding yes.

...the lime was added after a few sips for a lime free review.

04-01-2009 02:08:47 | More by Vonerichs
cjgator3

1.4/5  rDev -26.7%

12oz bottle

A- Pours a pale yellow color with a her small fizzy white head that quickly diminishes into a thing ring of lace around the glass.

S- The aroma is very light grainy malts with a hint of sulfur and just a touch of hops. It is slightly skunked, but is not too bad.

T- the taste is a hint of grain to start off with a lot of off-flavors in the finish creating a pretty offensive aftertaste.

M- The mouthfeel is extremely light bodied and heavily carbonated creating a very prickly mouthfeel.

D- This one is pretty hard to drink because of the offensive off-flavors in the taste. If definitely needs a lime or something to help mask the offensive flavors I'm picking up. I'd definitely avoid this one.

03-28-2009 17:03:13 | More by cjgator3
WakeandBake

1.4/5  rDev -26.7%

A clear pale yellow color with s very thin fizzy head,that quickly diminishes to nothing. Almost no aroma,faint grain and cheep rubbing alcohol. Flavor is almost nonexistant too, kind og a light fake fruit,some washed out grain and a hint of baby vomit,tossing in a lime wedge helped out a little.Thin watery body,lots of carbonation. A very low quality product at any price !

03-15-2009 11:54:17 | More by WakeandBake
cagocubs

1.9/5  rDev -0.5%

I used to drink this stuff when I was younger and thought it was great. Since then I have learned a ton about beer and taste. I finally was offered one of these recently, so heck, I took a free beer. This is the most unappealing beer I have ever poured. It pours straw yellow with no head. Smells dominated by corn. Taste is watery and that's about it. The mouthfeel is really thin and over carbonated. The best feature of this beer is its drinkability, when its warm out and you cant find water, this is the next best choice.

03-08-2009 17:44:51 | More by cagocubs
Brenden

1.85/5  rDev -3.1%

If you're wondering, it's because I made a point of trying bottle and tap. If you're wondering, it's pretty much the same.

Again, just sampling a friend's to get a review. It's actually not as bad as expected, which isn't saying much.

I've seen worse. It's actually a little darker than the extra, oddly enough, and doesn't look quite so watered-down. Unimpressive in every way, though.

Smell is a little artificial sweetness with some corn. A bit of astringency in there as well.

You can sort of tell this is a beer. There are some hops in there and a little graininess. Otherwise, flavors are skunk, astringency and, again, corn.

Watery, though to its credit it is a little crisp.

Mildly drinkable.

It's not the worst I've had, honestly, but I'm not buying it just to have something. Quality over quantity, and this one is the latter.

03-05-2009 17:17:22 | More by Brenden

A 2.0 - very pale straw in color, little to no head at all
S 2.0 - minor hop & malt notes, semi skunky smell in background
T 3.5 - pretty good taste for a light beer, crisp on palate, minor hop finish
MF 2.5 very thin body as expected, super carbonated
D 4.0 - pretty enjoyable for light beer in taste & drinkability. These go on sale a lot, the calories and ABV are respectable for a light session beer. I wouldn't turn one down as they have kinda grown on me due to my buddy across the street.

03-04-2009 21:54:24 | More by unclejimbay
jujubeast6000

Reviewed 2/27/2009 (bottle):

Pours an extremely very pale colored body, with a big white creamy head, somewhat lasting. Very malty aroma, some nuttiness. Vegetably, aroma, maybe corn. Crisp fruity, vegetably taste. Some nuttiness. Lager-like, but not as tasty as some others. Maybe corn or something. Has some taste, but not a good taste. Bleh, not good.

02-28-2009 13:18:29 | More by jujubeast6000
showell

Arizona

2.2/5  rDev +15.2%

I guess it's what it is. Corona got a C-. This doesn't get quite that much. It's carbonation is its best point I guess. If it's a hot day and you have one of these icy cold in the fridge, and you need something to drink, then drink it. But if you have a diet Coke or something, get it instead. It's not that the Corona light is excessively disgusting or anything. It's just that it's like drinking carbonated water. It has virtually no flavor at all, and what smell it has is vaguely unpleasant. All in all, it's not something to be thrown away if you already have it, or if someone hands it to you, just down it to be polite. But don't buy it. Diet Coke has a better flavor.

02-23-2009 00:28:58 | More by showell
callmescraps

1.73/5  rDev -9.4%

Someone else bought it, I swear.

Appearance - Light yellow. Not even gold. NO head. No lacing. You know exactly what it really looks like.

Smell - It smells like nothing. Oh wait, there is some sort of offending odor. It's like the smallest whiff of a kicked keg.

Taste - Sort of sweet? Then a really awful aftertaste. Fairly metallic. It just tastes off. I'd say it was skunked if I didn't know better.

Mouthfeel - Waterish? Almost no carbonation, but sort of crispish. I dunno. The least objectionable thing going.

Drinkability - I could have a few, but why would I want to?

Look, it's not good. Honestly, it doesn't taste like a whole lot. Which is sort of the problem. I'd almost prefer if it was just bad, instead of just not being anything.

02-07-2009 06:46:51 | More by callmescraps
Lowercaseg

Georgia

3.95/5  rDev +106.8%

This is one of the best light beers going. I don't understand why a basic light beer from Mexico gets such a low score. Not every beer is from Belgium and full of strong heavy flavor. But to me, that is a great thing. I like to drink different beers at different times and this beer is a great easy drinking light beer with low alcohol so you can have a few and enjoy the sunshine. Lighten up Francis, it's just beer.

01-22-2009 23:54:04 | More by Lowercaseg
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

1.88/5  rDev -1.6%

330ml bottle, a straggler from the ski chalet fridge last week.

This beer pours a thoroughly clear, light golden colour, with two fingers of puffy, fizzy, and momentarily bubbly dirty white head, which sinks away like someone let the air out of its tires, leaving a bit of random streaky lace around the glass.

It smells a heck of a lot like sushi, that is, leftover sushi with that mealy, congealed rice odor, and a kind of vegetal, crisp snow peas character - wait, that sounds way too good for this - oh, there it is, some wet cardboard and faint fusel come to save the day! The taste is very light, sweet white rice in liquid form, soggy saltines, a pithy rotten fruit essence, and weak straw/floral esters that may or may not be construed as hops.

The carbonation is actually quite strong, but mostly in a frothy, airy sort of manner, the body quite thin in its weighting, and smooth like hard water. It finishes with a mealy (diluted rice and corn) sweetness, and some lingering muddled vegetal acridity.

North of 49, they actually have to label the ABV on even this kind of stuff, and it's 3.7%, as if it really matters. Anyways, not overly offensive, plain, and not good for much, unless you're hemorrhaging fluids on vacation somewhere, and still want to appear to be drinking.

01-18-2009 06:42:10 | More by biboergosum
WilliamD

3.4/5  rDev +78%

Cracked two of these open in front of the fire on the eve of me and my duck's eighth anniversary. No limes, mind you.
Pours a hazy blonde, with little to no lacing on the snifter. Smells of dried ch'orange peels mashed with peanuts.
A great under-the-bleachers taste, with a faint, Charlie Brown-green bread flavor that lingers in the back of the mouth for a few seconds. Me and my gal- bimbo, limbo, spam- we both paused the relish on this one. She had another, and so did I.

01-17-2009 03:27:53 | More by WilliamD
tempest

2.2/5  rDev +15.2%

Thanks to a friend for sharing a sixer. I've been meaning to try this "worst of the worst" for a while, but couldn't bring myself to pay for a bottle.

Damn, this isn't nearly as bad as what I'd read about. Maybe this bottle sat around too long and lost the fresh "character." The aroma has a dirty dishwater character with golden munich malt behind it. The taste has that same bright barley taste with a dirty lime back flavor. This certainly isn't a clean beer, but it vaguely resembles good beer.

I wanted to rip into this beer for being the swamp water I'd heard it described as. Really though, it's just an average crappy beer to avoid. Nothing worth expounding over.

01-13-2009 21:52:40 | More by tempest
Cyberkedi

Georgia

1.8/5  rDev -5.8%

A wan straw-yellow, it pours with a minimal white head that does not hang around. Aroma was weak, and the de rigueur lime on the glass mostly masked it. Flavor was typically lagerish, malty but lacking crispness. It didn't taste watery like most "lite" beers, but flavor was still uninspiring. Texture was not thin or watery; however, it was rather lifeless. Definitely one to pass up.

01-03-2009 18:17:15 | More by Cyberkedi
LilBeerDoctor

1.78/5  rDev -6.8%

Reviewed on 7/5/08. Enjoyed straight out of the bottle. Some light fruits and banana. Lots of carbonation but pretty drinkable. Not skunky, so I must have gotten a super fresh bottle. I was expecting some Bud Light-like crap, but this surprised me a little.
4/3/4/2/7 (2.0/5)

12-20-2008 17:53:29 | More by LilBeerDoctor
magictrokini

I ask you, Grupo Modelo, why? Why brew an even weaker version of your famous beer? Less flavor, less aroma, less alcohol. Pours nearly clear. There is no aroma, as all I smell is minerals, which I attribute to the bottle. The taste is a travesty of stale water. This beer sucks.

12-09-2008 00:19:55 | More by magictrokini
Vendetta

Original Rating Date:
June 18, 2008

I know I said that I wouldn't rate any of these bottom-of-the-barrel beers anymore, but this beer is so outrageously bad that I had to take a shot at it.

Pours watery and pale yellow. Aroma of skunk, nothing else. When it hits my mouth I'm slapped with strong carbonation, a skunky taste, very weak actual beer taste. I find myself wondering if most of the people who drink this have even even tasted a real beer. Probably not. This is basically a spoiled soft drink with alcohol content. Quite possibly the worst beer I've ever tasted in my entire life and way more expensive than other beers on this level of crappiness- this beer deserves the terrible rating. I needed a lime just to finish this beer.

12-07-2008 00:58:09 | More by Vendetta
Corona Light from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.