Corona Light - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona LightCorona Light

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Light Alström Bros
BeerImmediately

1.78/5  rDev -6.8%

Rating this as a light lager ... i.e. relative to the other beers in this category.

Very faint, clear yellow color. Lot of carbonation, with tiny white head which disappears immediately.

Smell is hard to pull out, but somewhat earthy: lightly grassy / grainy.

Taste is somewhat unique for the style - hint of lemon/lime, but again, hard to recognize.

Mouthfeel is fine - it's a very light lager. Not much aftertaste, provided you down this while it's still under 40 degrees. Otherwise, you'll end up with a film on the tongue.

If you're looking for water with a kick, you can consider this drinkable. Certainly not filling.

02-16-2008 17:55:30 | More by BeerImmediately
Millerman

South Carolina

1.83/5  rDev -4.2%

I wanted to see what all the fuss was about this beer. I was not impressed. Not a very good tasting beer at all. Too bitter! A slight hint of rice. No head to speak of. Now I know why they put the lime slice on the bottle. I would not recommend this beer due the taste and price.

01-16-2008 01:27:54 | More by Millerman
skeetermoses

Oklahoma

1.88/5  rDev -1.6%

I would not turn this beer down if it were the last beer on earth, but it is one of the last beers as far as mexican beers goes that I would pick as last. I do not drink this beer on a regualar basis, but I would rather have a beer that is not lite like this one.

12-31-2007 08:05:18 | More by skeetermoses
Gavage

1.25/5  rDev -34.6%

Appearance: pours a light pale yellow color that almost looks clear on the outside of the glass. A few bubbles ride the surface.

Smell: I could not detect any aroma with this beer.

Taste: barely a hint of grass and corn sweetness. No bitterness. No much else can describe the flavor here.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp from start to finish. Clean aftertaste. Very light and thin in body.

Drinkability: probably one of the worst beers I have had and actually reviewed. No flavor especially with no lime in the glass. There are some lite beers with at least some flavor on the market.

12-26-2007 16:25:45 | More by Gavage
dsa7783

2.7/5  rDev +41.4%

I actually like the lighter version of Corona better than the regular... Taste is slightly better in my opinion and goes down a lot smoother... taste is crisp and clean that was well accentuated with a lime on a hot summer day... wouldn't mind kicking back on the beach with one of these enjoying a hot day in the sand... Although I wouldn't run out to buy a sixer, wouldn't turn this one down if I was offered... find it ridiculous that some bars or nightclubs can actually charge $6 a bottle on a Saturday night... This is a good social brew... cop a twelve-pack and entertain some guests, but nothing exotic or over the top... Overall, not a bad beer...

12-17-2007 00:36:29 | More by dsa7783
auxiliary

Rhode Island

2.78/5  rDev +45.5%

appearance - Clear straw yellow, lots of bubbles. with no head.

smell - Has a grassy smell to it....i think. Not much going on.

taste - light, watery, sweet, some hops. Weak beer.

mouthfeel - Light and watery.

drinkability - Light, easy drinking beer, because its like water.

12-12-2007 16:51:32 | More by auxiliary
scottblaze

3.1/5  rDev +62.3%

My girlfriend loves this stuff (with lime of course). Yesterday she showed up with a 12pack and a couple of limes. This beer gets slammed a lot and I really don't know why, it is what it is, a light lager and IMHO not a bad one and a cut above most of its macro competition. For the price difference I would probably go for some Tecate in a can instead, Corona is overpriced.

My last review was on hot summer day and it was fine, in fact at the moment I couldn't think of a beer I'd rather have. Yeaterday, a relatively cool day, it didn't hit the spot as closly as before but it wasn't bad at all, it was a damn good thirst quencher but not nearly as nice as the Hoegaarden I followed it with.

10-29-2007 01:53:45 | More by scottblaze
MMAJYK

Georgia

Very bright yellow with golden touch in the color. Smell is less skunky that its big brother, but just because this is a little bit lighter beer. Taste is OK, like corona extra, but a bit watered down. Not bad. Mouth is carbonated highly and leaves a tingle on your tongue. Drinkable beer and not bad at all.

10-26-2007 13:08:59 | More by MMAJYK
erosier

Connecticut

1.5/5  rDev -21.5%

This beer, just like Corona Extra, is undrinkable without a lime. The clear urine color with a short white head is not very appealing and reminds me of when you get a drug test and have to pee in a cup. The aroma is always skunked. It just smells of sour and skunk. The taste is no better with the taste of really skunked beer. The first time I had it, I thought it was just the one, but then after a few more tries, it turns out it is just the same. Why people like this I will never understand. Don't try it, not worth your money.

10-09-2007 13:42:39 | More by erosier
Floydster

2.35/5  rDev +23%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle from a six pack

Poured into a frosted mug with a bright golden color and no head

Tastes like regular Corona but not as heavy, making it easier to drink

Taste goes away quickly

Good summer beer for BBQing especially, but that is about all it has going for it

09-12-2007 06:54:46 | More by Floydster
allengarvin

1.7/5  rDev -11%

Found this at the back of the company fridge. Color is a nice pleasant gold, not as pale as many light lagers. Grainy nose, notes of corn... Unpleasantly grainy, sweet taste with nothing going for it at all. Not even the faintest whiff of hops. Finish has a lingering note of sulfur. Average body and carbonation.

Bleagh, half the bottle finished. I can pour the rest out.

09-11-2007 23:17:27 | More by allengarvin
NachlamSie

Tennessee

1.3/5  rDev -31.9%

From notes: I poured this beverage into a pint glass and was startled at its clarity. It is remarkably transparent with no head formation and active carbonation being the predominant character. The nose is quite assertive with strong suggestions of butene thiol followed by an arrangement of white corn mash and the ocean. I found the mouthfeel to be loose and flowing with no real changes in viscosity on any particular sector of my palate. As light as this beer is, plenty of exotic flavors of vegetables and processed wood products are present. In my humble opinion, this particular beer could improve from an adjustment in the malts and perhaps a brewing and packaging process that could better protect from UV light exposure. However, for those who do enjoy the extra flavor imparted from light, this would be a recommended lower alcohol, lower calorie lager.

09-09-2007 18:24:27 | More by NachlamSie
JamesS

Indiana

1.78/5  rDev -6.8%

As much as I would like to avoid Corona Special, I would much rather stay out of the way of this beer. Typically flat with a bland taste, no head/lacing, and an aroma I wouldn't even list as a 'ball park beer.' If you're worried about having a 'light' beer, try a standard American pilsner. If you want south of the border, go for the Negro Modelo. Same company and so much better.

09-08-2007 23:31:39 | More by JamesS
Metalmonk

1.65/5  rDev -13.6%

Leftover from our Labor Day cook-out...somebody brought this to our house and now's my chance to try it. Should I be surprised to find this is a total waste of time?

Before this goes further: I reviewed without the lime. I take the stance of other beer nerds: if it was meant to be drank with a lime it would come with one. Any beer should be able to stand on its own, but it needs legs first, which this one is sorely lacking...

Pours the lightest shade of yellow one can imagine before hitting shades of white. Very clear, with a small head the looks meek after it thins to almost nothing. Healthy bubbles.

A slight touch of hops in the aroma, but mostly dominated by a stale metallic smell and a skunky background.

Taste: there's the slightest kiss of hops (a peck on the forehead from an old nun, more like), but the tongue is more busy dealing with metallic hardness (like sucking on a penny) and a skunky, sugary spike to the finish. Corn and sugar adjuncts here?

Carbonation rolls over the tongue aggressively; with the flavor being so poor it just adds insult to injury.

Seriously, what did I expect? I could have slugged the whole glass down eventually, as it's not quite the worst beer in the world, but why??? Life is too damn short for this lameness.

"Respect beer."
Amen.
But do we have to respect it if it doesn't respect us?

09-07-2007 22:21:50 | More by Metalmonk
BeerDreadz

1.53/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 onz clear bottle

Appearance: Pale straw color with some bubbles on top , nothing to write home about.

Smell: Grains and cooked corn ( and that corn was cooked in a bad way)

Taste Grains, cooked veggies, bitternes and astringet.

Mouthfeel& Drinkability : This beer is no hard on the mouth,even with the bad taste,drinkability???No there's no in here.

Notes : Is there just one clear bottle beer that is good?

09-05-2007 07:55:36 | More by BeerDreadz
Overlord

1.53/5  rDev -19.9%

As though Corona wasn't "light" enough, we now have this watered down (is that possible?) version.

Looks like urine, is borderline undrinkable without lime to mask it's terrible flavor, and I wouldn't touch it unless I was boiling in the sun and my only other options were along the lines of Bud Light.

Ugh.

09-01-2007 08:05:49 | More by Overlord
Brad007

Vermont

Light, somewhat skunky aroma. Light yellow color. Taste is really bad. Makes me wanna vomit. Hate to give a beer a bad review but I honestly don't see how anyone can enjoy this crap. Now I see why the lemon is always involved. You can't possibly make this crap taste good though.

08-20-2007 03:42:51 | More by Brad007
maddogruss

1.58/5  rDev -17.3%

I had not realized that this was a beer when I drank it.

A: Light gold body with no head or lacing to show for it.

S: Nonexistent. Maybe slightly malty? There was nothing really noticeable.

T: The taste reminded me of seltzer water. I know that is harsh, but it is the best I can describe it. No malts, hops, nothing.

M: If it tastes like seltzer water, it feels like seltzer water. Very thin mouthfeel that was watery and nothing of real character.

D: While being very close to its "full caloried" brethren, it is a pretty drinkable beer. But, despite its easy-going nature, I did not really like the beer as a whole.

08-13-2007 23:57:30 | More by maddogruss
MMansfield

Nova Scotia (Canada)

1.18/5  rDev -38.2%

Notes from Seaport Beer Fest 08/11/07

Appearance: Pale pale pale clear yellow. Possibily the most transparent beer I've ever seen. Very nottle sign of a head, just a thin ring.

Aroma: Skunky corn and adjuncts, not appealing.

Taste: Cloying grains and horrible by-productions. Skunky bite in the finish. One sip was enough, on the ground this sample went.

Mouthfeel: Sharp, fizzy, and no good.

Final Statment: I tried this for one simple reason, I wanted to see how it was possible to take out more beer flavour than regular Corona. I mean, isn't regular Corona itself a "light" beer? Give me a break. People who drink this should be put on their own planet.

08-12-2007 20:24:21 | More by MMansfield
xtremejammn

1.48/5  rDev -22.5%

My review without any Lime or Lemon Wedge.

A: Unimpressive clear bottle with a piss yellow beer and an in bottle head that fades and leaves some/little lacing.

S: Smells of cooked corn off the cob, with a morning dew - ish smell. Ugh.

T: Has a weak cooked corn taste with an awful aftertaste that fades quickly. To say the least it still has some room to get worse.

M: Too bubbly.

D: Drinkable enough to slam it and move on.

I really only decided to review it straight up so you can be prepared when limes and lemons go extinct. Your welcome.

07-25-2007 02:11:12 | More by xtremejammn
drpimento

Wisconsin

1.45/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

We need to drink beers like this to keep our perspective. And as a lesson on why clear glass containers are dumb ideas for beer. Poured with a very short lived white head. No lace. Bright yellow. Highly carbonated. Aroma is hugely bitter, but only a little from hops. This is certainly light struck. Very thin. The bitterness from the struck quality lingers much too long. Headache in a bottle, I'm sure.

07-16-2007 00:03:38 | More by drpimento
fido

Mexico

1.2/5  rDev -37.2%

Corona Light pours a very clear yellow; no head and no lacing; Smells like corn but skunky; Taste is thin and very very watery; Mouthfeel is not impressed for a light lager; Drinkability is decent but nothing special.

I will avoid this one too.

¡Salud!

Serving type: can

07-09-2007 01:59:56 | More by fido
barknee

This abomination is an insult to the brewing industry and those who support it.
A flavorless aqueous solution of millet and assorted birdfeed by-products leaves any beer aficionado wanting for more - much more..
The profit margin on this product is tremendous as the costs of the ingredients are virtually non-existent. Add the fact that they ship and sell oceans of this swill to a passive American public and you are looking at an impressive bottom line.
Forget investing in Exxon-Mobil or IBM… drop your long-term cash in Gambrinus imports.
This brewer is keeping the lime growers in business!

06-28-2007 04:05:08 | More by barknee
pmcadamis

1.1/5  rDev -42.4%

Had this on the beach in Coco Cay. The island is owned by Royal Caribbean and they don't alow any glass on the beach so the bartender in the little grass hut poured this into a unique bottle-shaped plastic container...I kept it for a souvenier.

A - Bright golden yellow. No really head, and a few bubbles float around in the brew. Looks like my morning piss.

S - Adjunt laden corny ricey aroma that is so weak that you basically have to snort the beer up your nose to detect it. it is however unoffensive and transparent....so I can't give it a 1.0.

T - What taste? After a few thoughtful sips, I put a lime in it just so I could taste something.

M - Light body, high carbonation, and absolutely no aftertaste. What's the point?

D - Thirst quenching on a hot Mexican beach. But so is water.

06-24-2007 15:12:52 | More by pmcadamis
mtwhitney

Hawaii

Many reviewers are making the mistake of thinking that the makers of Corona do not know how to brew a decent bottle of beer. Not true! Most middle class and professional class Mexicans are very intelligent and cosmopolitan people who know quality when they see it. Unfortunately for us, (and fortunate for them), they also know idiots when they see them, and boy o boy, do we Americans have a lot of bubble-brained philistines (more commonly know as 20-30 year old American females) amongst us. Exhibit A, B, and C: Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan, Brittany Spears. Your honor, I rest my case.

This beer’s for you, my pea-brained beauty.

06-06-2007 05:52:34 | More by mtwhitney
Corona Light from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.