Corona Light - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona LightCorona Light

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Light Alström Bros
LumpyGuitar

Had this at a party over the weekend, was amazingly...rancid.

Yellow liquid in a clear bottle, no head or carbonation whatsoever.

Smell, what faint bit there is, is mashed corn.

Taste is sour corn, rough bitter alcohol finish, even with lime theres no saving grace.

Mouthfeel is flat and uncharming, no carbonation, feels like I'm drinking flat soda.

I will never drink this again. Ever. Not even if you pay me or tempt me with better. Save your money and don't fall for the stupid "party and relax!" commercials.

07-26-2008 05:37:23 | More by LumpyGuitar
ItMakesMeHappy

1.68/5  rDev -12%

I am not gonna review this beer like the others.... Basically this beer tastes like tainted water. No hints of malt or hops just course flavors with no body. Its almost like this beer was brewed with all adjunct sugars and not an once of barley was used. The regular corona is light enough and this beer, in my opinion, is overkill.

07-25-2008 04:32:23 | More by ItMakesMeHappy
DoubleJ

1.48/5  rDev -22.5%

The greatest questions ever pondered by man:

- What is the meaning of life?
- What is our purpose here?
- Is there life on other planets?
- How do you make a light beer out of Corona?

It's the last question that got me thinking. If the regular one tastes light, how much lighter can it get? To find out, I have a 12 ounce bottle, which will be poured into a stange. And to note, this is a "No Lime Zone". On to the beer:

The fizzy head goes up, the fizzy head drops to a thin layer on top this faded urine color. At least the bubbles are fun to watch as they race towards the top. Through the nose, I am getting sulfur and cooked creamed corn. Faint skunked hops are there too. Now to taste:

Huh? What is this? There's faint cooked corn on the palate, and that's it. To boot, it feels very fizzy in the mouth with a watery body. No, no, no! I will not tolerate this kind of behavior from a beer. Prepare to get dumped.

Not one of my greatest moments, but I did this for you guys. I suppose it's fine for a customer to pay $25 a case if it makes them happy, but if they really want to feel happy while wasting their money, I would recommend recreational drugs to them.

07-23-2008 02:45:49 | More by DoubleJ
HugoGrim

2.45/5  rDev +28.3%

The look is exactly what you expect. Pale yellow, no head.

Aroma is oddly harsh. Bitter corn.

Flavor is bland and watery, but this is Corona Light so you're not drinking it because you want a full flavored beer.

Yes it's crap, and yes it's in a clear bottle. Say what you will (and you'd probably be correct) but this beer has it's place. Drop in a lime wedge (yeah, I said it) and relax with one or ten. This is the type of beer I would never buy, but I would never turn down if the mood is right and it were offered to me.

07-14-2008 00:21:23 | More by HugoGrim
dewalt

1.55/5  rDev -18.8%

A thin, pale swill. It smells like cheap, off-brand breakfast cereal, reminiscent of imitation Cheerios you'd buy at a discount store. There's little to no hops or malt flavor. Corona is defined mostly by a watery metal taste, like mineral water or seltzer. The only way to make this beer remotely drinkable is to shove a lime (or several) down its neck, add a little salt, and serve it so intensely cold that you freeze your taste buds and spare them the experience. It is not worth it.

06-29-2008 00:06:27 | More by dewalt
plaid75

2.2/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured a medium straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a light grain with elements of sweet corn and noble hop.

The taste was bland with an acrid, medicinal finish. Artificial.

The mouthfeel was of average fullness for the style.

An overall uneventful light beer. No real suprises here.

05-17-2008 17:03:11 | More by plaid75
ckeegan04

1.6/5  rDev -16.2%

A - Somehow it is even fizzier and paler looking than most other light lagers. Head looks like the bubbles you get if you fill your glass up with water too fast.

S - A touch of creamed corn with a faint grainy sweetness.

T - Not sure. It tasted like lime once I added lime, but there really wasnt a taste before that. No hop profile noticeable at all. Somewhat astringent.

M/D - Thin, watery. Barely passable as beer.

05-06-2008 13:51:52 | More by ckeegan04
jayrod20

2.6/5  rDev +36.1%

Yea look it's your average beer, with mexican theme, and a lime. woo. I guess the only thing to say is that this beer is easily located with friends who dont explore their beverage tastes houses, but when given the choice of Corona Light and anything else they have, I'll take it.

05-06-2008 03:16:07 | More by jayrod20
rye726

Colorado

1.02/5  rDev -46.6%

Pale yellow color. Looks much better in the bottle. Does this little brother of Corona stand a better chance at greatness. No. The smell is skunky and grainy. I'm not sure it has a taste until you add a lime. Then, it taste like lime. The body is light and not refreshing like the commercials suggest. Not very drinkable in my book. This stuff is like $15 a 12 pack. Ridiculous. But good marketing.

05-05-2008 17:58:31 | More by rye726
Lexluthor33

1.53/5  rDev -19.9%

First off,who has not had one of these.I have never poured this beer,always straight from the bottle. It has a sweet ,corn like smell with notes of astrigent and metal skunk. The taste is best when super cold and it tastes metallic but not too sweet as it can be a bit bitter and sometimes sour. I always put the lemon slice in and it always tasted better for it. Do not let it warm up or it will taste akin to warm urine.
It has a very light,water feel and very high in carbonation. I guess it can be a session beer for some folks.
Notes: I have been told by people I know that I should not look down upon this beer or the people who drink it because I once guzzled a few in my youth at a barbecue. Truth be told, in my youth and even early audulthood it was either Corona or Budweiser,the German beer did not suit my taste.
Listen,just because one was once ignorant to what good beer is really like does not mean that we have to embrace our past mistakes. I look back and I feel I always knew this beer was bad. I look back and yes I am glad I now know what a good brew is and all those still drinking this beer are left in the dark. End of Story.

04-21-2008 15:00:08 | More by Lexluthor33
CrellMoset

1.33/5  rDev -30.4%

From a 12 oz. clear bottle into a pint glass.

A light, pale, straw gold with hints of orange. A huge, white, foamy three-finger head roars up, active carbonation keeps it strong. No lacing once drinking begins. Unfortunately, this is the best thing about this beer.

A burst of sweet corn adjunct, followed by whisps of corn adjunct, and hiding in the back, yeah, more corn. Although there are faint hints of sulfur compounds, this one doesn't smell skunked. Nothing going on here beyond the creamed corn and the faint sulfur/metallic smells.

Taste: This beer tastes like corn husks (not even the sweet, creamed corn that I smelled). There are some mild astringencies and chemical notes present too, but nothing that I would describe as "pleasant."

Mouthfeel: Looks more promising than it ended up feeling. Thin thin thin. Even swishing it around in the mouth to release the carbonation results in almost no body at all. I guess this beer kinda blew its proverbial load up front with that huge, bulbous head. Like drinking water.

Drinkability: Funky and one-dimensional smells/tastes make for an unpleasant drink, and general flatness makes it so that it isn't even crisp/refreshing. Maybe if you served it really, really, really cold so that you couldn't really taste it and that the temperature alone was enough to refresh you ... eh. It was a chore for me to finish, at least.

Not that anyone here needs to be told this, but avoid this beer at all costs.

03-24-2008 21:52:51 | More by CrellMoset
BucBasil

South Carolina

2.03/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance: Poured from the 12oz bottle into a tall pokal glass. The beer is a bright orangey color with a hint of gold, and no head to speak of.

Smell: Smells of rotten citrus with no malt to speak of...

Taste: Light citrus, but fades rapidly, quickly becoming skunky tasting, with a hint of a watery finish. Not pleasant at all..

Mouthfeel: Feels like a light beer should... Slightly carbonated on the tongue, fading quickly to a diet cola feel that is half-assed and clearly intended to intoxicate the drinker.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable, if only for the tastelessness of the beer on first glance.

Notes: Highly unrecommended by me... My lowest rating yet...

02-28-2008 06:49:06 | More by BucBasil
DmanGTR

1.08/5  rDev -43.5%

This was a "beer" that I had at a party, I'm glad I did not pay for this.

A - clear yellow, very few bubbles of carbonation, if any

S - slightly sulphuric, mild citrus aroma

T - bland, limey due to the lime wedge served with this. This might as well be a corn husk flavored water

M - watery, no "zing" of carbonation

D - if you can stand the smell and taste, then it's probably only good for temporary thirst quenching. Then again, you're better off with Gatorade.

I placed the term "beer" in quotes for this because this was absolutely revolting in my opinion. This is the ONLY beer (aside from Corona Extra and Blue Moon) that I simply could not finish. I had to give it away.

02-20-2008 06:34:49 | More by DmanGTR
BeerImmediately

1.78/5  rDev -6.8%

Rating this as a light lager ... i.e. relative to the other beers in this category.

Very faint, clear yellow color. Lot of carbonation, with tiny white head which disappears immediately.

Smell is hard to pull out, but somewhat earthy: lightly grassy / grainy.

Taste is somewhat unique for the style - hint of lemon/lime, but again, hard to recognize.

Mouthfeel is fine - it's a very light lager. Not much aftertaste, provided you down this while it's still under 40 degrees. Otherwise, you'll end up with a film on the tongue.

If you're looking for water with a kick, you can consider this drinkable. Certainly not filling.

02-16-2008 17:55:30 | More by BeerImmediately
Millerman

South Carolina

1.83/5  rDev -4.2%

I wanted to see what all the fuss was about this beer. I was not impressed. Not a very good tasting beer at all. Too bitter! A slight hint of rice. No head to speak of. Now I know why they put the lime slice on the bottle. I would not recommend this beer due the taste and price.

01-16-2008 01:27:54 | More by Millerman
skeetermoses

Oklahoma

1.88/5  rDev -1.6%

I would not turn this beer down if it were the last beer on earth, but it is one of the last beers as far as mexican beers goes that I would pick as last. I do not drink this beer on a regualar basis, but I would rather have a beer that is not lite like this one.

12-31-2007 08:05:18 | More by skeetermoses
Gavage

1.25/5  rDev -34.6%

Appearance: pours a light pale yellow color that almost looks clear on the outside of the glass. A few bubbles ride the surface.

Smell: I could not detect any aroma with this beer.

Taste: barely a hint of grass and corn sweetness. No bitterness. No much else can describe the flavor here.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp from start to finish. Clean aftertaste. Very light and thin in body.

Drinkability: probably one of the worst beers I have had and actually reviewed. No flavor especially with no lime in the glass. There are some lite beers with at least some flavor on the market.

12-26-2007 16:25:45 | More by Gavage
dsa7783

2.7/5  rDev +41.4%

I actually like the lighter version of Corona better than the regular... Taste is slightly better in my opinion and goes down a lot smoother... taste is crisp and clean that was well accentuated with a lime on a hot summer day... wouldn't mind kicking back on the beach with one of these enjoying a hot day in the sand... Although I wouldn't run out to buy a sixer, wouldn't turn this one down if I was offered... find it ridiculous that some bars or nightclubs can actually charge $6 a bottle on a Saturday night... This is a good social brew... cop a twelve-pack and entertain some guests, but nothing exotic or over the top... Overall, not a bad beer...

12-17-2007 00:36:29 | More by dsa7783
auxiliary

Rhode Island

2.78/5  rDev +45.5%

appearance - Clear straw yellow, lots of bubbles. with no head.

smell - Has a grassy smell to it....i think. Not much going on.

taste - light, watery, sweet, some hops. Weak beer.

mouthfeel - Light and watery.

drinkability - Light, easy drinking beer, because its like water.

12-12-2007 16:51:32 | More by auxiliary
scottblaze

3.1/5  rDev +62.3%

My girlfriend loves this stuff (with lime of course). Yesterday she showed up with a 12pack and a couple of limes. This beer gets slammed a lot and I really don't know why, it is what it is, a light lager and IMHO not a bad one and a cut above most of its macro competition. For the price difference I would probably go for some Tecate in a can instead, Corona is overpriced.

My last review was on hot summer day and it was fine, in fact at the moment I couldn't think of a beer I'd rather have. Yeaterday, a relatively cool day, it didn't hit the spot as closly as before but it wasn't bad at all, it was a damn good thirst quencher but not nearly as nice as the Hoegaarden I followed it with.

10-29-2007 01:53:45 | More by scottblaze
MMAJYK

Georgia

Very bright yellow with golden touch in the color. Smell is less skunky that its big brother, but just because this is a little bit lighter beer. Taste is OK, like corona extra, but a bit watered down. Not bad. Mouth is carbonated highly and leaves a tingle on your tongue. Drinkable beer and not bad at all.

10-26-2007 13:08:59 | More by MMAJYK
erosier

Connecticut

1.5/5  rDev -21.5%

This beer, just like Corona Extra, is undrinkable without a lime. The clear urine color with a short white head is not very appealing and reminds me of when you get a drug test and have to pee in a cup. The aroma is always skunked. It just smells of sour and skunk. The taste is no better with the taste of really skunked beer. The first time I had it, I thought it was just the one, but then after a few more tries, it turns out it is just the same. Why people like this I will never understand. Don't try it, not worth your money.

10-09-2007 13:42:39 | More by erosier
Floydster

2.35/5  rDev +23%

12 ounce bottle from a six pack

Poured into a frosted mug with a bright golden color and no head

Tastes like regular Corona but not as heavy, making it easier to drink

Taste goes away quickly

Good summer beer for BBQing especially, but that is about all it has going for it

09-12-2007 06:54:46 | More by Floydster
allengarvin

1.7/5  rDev -11%

Found this at the back of the company fridge. Color is a nice pleasant gold, not as pale as many light lagers. Grainy nose, notes of corn... Unpleasantly grainy, sweet taste with nothing going for it at all. Not even the faintest whiff of hops. Finish has a lingering note of sulfur. Average body and carbonation.

Bleagh, half the bottle finished. I can pour the rest out.

09-11-2007 23:17:27 | More by allengarvin
NachlamSie

Tennessee

1.3/5  rDev -31.9%

From notes: I poured this beverage into a pint glass and was startled at its clarity. It is remarkably transparent with no head formation and active carbonation being the predominant character. The nose is quite assertive with strong suggestions of butene thiol followed by an arrangement of white corn mash and the ocean. I found the mouthfeel to be loose and flowing with no real changes in viscosity on any particular sector of my palate. As light as this beer is, plenty of exotic flavors of vegetables and processed wood products are present. In my humble opinion, this particular beer could improve from an adjustment in the malts and perhaps a brewing and packaging process that could better protect from UV light exposure. However, for those who do enjoy the extra flavor imparted from light, this would be a recommended lower alcohol, lower calorie lager.

09-09-2007 18:24:27 | More by NachlamSie
Corona Light from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.