Corona Light - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona LightCorona Light

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Light Alström Bros
waughbrew

1.1/5  rDev -42.4%

Pale pale yellow with sizzling carbonation that amounts to no head or lacing. Small vegetal citrus aroma is so faint that I accidentally stuck my nose in the beer trying to smell something. A taste starts with a harsh bite of carbonation, a garbage tea runs thinly over the tongue, quickly turning astringent and finishing with an empty sugar-substitute type sweetness. Actually painful to drink because of its harshness and horrible finish. It is beers like this that give beer a bad name. Shame, shame.

06-28-2004 03:46:46 | More by waughbrew
nomad

Kansas

1.63/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

At a family gathering a case of this was in the midst of a barbecue. While I happily quaffed an excellent Otter Creek Vermont Lager, I placed it down on a table next to an eerily similar beer. Tending to the pork on the grill, I later returned to the table and decided to give this lager-ish impostor a whirl.

Looks wise I could have thought I was grabbing my Vermont Lager, though the gold was a bit duller, the carbonation more infrequent, and the head almost non-existent. Up to my nose and I gag - putrid scents of rotting flowers, cardboard, and some other things that just ain't right. Taste-wise it had no malt to speak of, and I don't understand what kind of hops they were employing. Old, skunked weeds pulled from the trash field behind the brewery?

Now it was drinkable enough for a cheap lager, but stood up as a lesson in contrast. Does the "Light" mean you're light in the head or in the wallet to buy this stuff? I could list a couple of similar-priced macro-brewed beers better than this rancid tap water.

06-16-2004 17:30:23 | More by nomad
twi1609372

1.48/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Every time I drink this stuff I swear it will be the last time. To say it is bad is an understatement. this beer tastes like watered down urine. With no disrespect to Mexico, they say don't drink the water there, this beer is brewed there, do you think they import bottled water to brew? the alcohol content is the only think keeping people from dying from food poisoning.

06-12-2004 05:11:16 | More by twi1609372
hulmanite

Iowa

1.05/5  rDev -45%

Okay...so Corona decided that they needed a "light" version of their already crappy beer. I'm not sure whats going on in the world today...but anyways, about the beer...

It has vague scents and tastes of cereal grains and it feels like you're drinking a cactus.

It's more like what happens when a mexican drinks a fifth of cheap tequila and pisses in a bottle. There you have it. I have unlocked the secret to how Corona and Corona Light is made.

05-27-2004 23:15:51 | More by hulmanite
Boilermaker88

1.1/5  rDev -42.4%

My sister-in-law bestowed four of these 12oz clear *oh no* bottled brews upon me yesterday. She'd had a couple the night before with a lime wedge *cringe/wince* but couldn't take the others on the plane with her so I was the "winner".
I got home and decided to get it over with quick. Pull down a handy pint glass, pop the cap and pour. While the pissy yellow fluid hits my glass and a modest bright white head briefly flares and dies, I'm rewarded with the sharp, nostril-tweaking aroma of skunk. Under the skunkiness was a mild grainy malt aroma and a corn cereal smell. Combined, the three predominant aromas were wholly unappealing.
The taste was, to be blunt, flavorless. A minor, barely-there taste of corn and, "poof" it was done. Hops = zero. This "beer" had all the taste of water. No wonder my sis-in-law threw in a lime wedge! The feel was light, fizzy and had some of the same characteristics as seltzer water.
My wife had one too. She looked at me and wordlessly dumped hers down the drain. Mine quickly joined its mate. Corona Light is an unmitigated drain pour, pure and simple. If anyone ever sees me putting one to my lips again, wake me up. If I'm awake, you have my permission to belt my upside my head for my transgression.

05-24-2004 15:42:12 | More by Boilermaker88
putnam

1.75/5  rDev -8.4%

...liver-yellow water infused with a tea bag's-worth of toasted grain.
...watery with grip on the quick finish.
...barely discernable in the midst of rushes of water flavor are notes of steamed spinach, cream of wheat and beet sugar.
...for sheer bland neutrality it's a hit!

05-23-2004 17:44:58 | More by putnam
francisweizen

Alaska

2.93/5  rDev +53.4%

Wow, this is not that bad for what it is. The colour is "piss-yellow" and if you pour this stuff into a glass (not recommended) the head is a light white colour that dies super fast. The aromas are of corn pops, stale lightly bready malts, and slight citrius-like hops. The taste is not that bad, especially when you add the "lime" into the bottle. Actually this beer is so flavorless, and water-like, that 5 or 6 limes are needed to get the job done. The taste is of slightly sweet lime water, with a hint of lightly grainy malts and citrus-like hops in the background. The mouthfeel is watery, so if it is a hot day out, and you are sweating, this stuff may rehydrate you. The drinkability is definately good as far as these flavorless light beers go, and even though I am not a big fan of this style of beer, this is a good example of the style, as it is a very light lager, with little flavor, that you can quaff for extended periods of time...

05-17-2004 20:47:31 | More by francisweizen
cptnjck101

This beer is like a bad dream, more expensive than Guinness and tastes worse than a bottle of warm piss. There can be no justification for drinking this crap. If you want a watered down beer, grab a Coors Light for half the price. If you want to spend $14+ on a twelve pack, grab some Sam Adams. If you need to stick a lime in your bottle to enjoy beer, hike up your panties and go grab a coke. And lastly, if for some reason unbeknownst to normal people you like drinking crappy, piss beer, at least drink crappy, AMERICAN piss beer. Go grab a 30 pack of Milwaukee's Best for $9.49, that's the American way.

04-26-2004 16:23:12 | More by cptnjck101
kennyo

1.18/5  rDev -38.2%

Easter, see my friend's nephew come walking in with a six pack of Mackeson Stout. Pretty cool. Upon handing it over, I see that it is a six pack of corona light. Seems that someone gave him this six pack and he just waited to be able to pass it off on someone, which was me. Put it in the fridge figuring one of my Bud luving friends would drink it. Fast forward two nights later, eating chips/salsa, figured that a Double Bastard would not go to good with the salsa, I popped a CL. How bad it could it be I thought. I drank warm Utica Clubs after two nights with the Grateful Dead, this can't be that bad. Man was I wrong. This stuff is the worst. Words can't explain how bad this is. Two sips and it was tossed.

04-13-2004 17:34:54 | More by kennyo
RocketWidget

1.5/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer, in my humble opinion, is hot garbage. Pours a piss yellow, almost indistinguishable from water, with an extremely light, quick disappearing head. Smell is of skunked beer. In regards to taste, where is the beer? Tastes like water. No hops taste, extremely light, almost non existent malt. Garbage.

03-31-2004 00:08:48 | More by RocketWidget
DESTRO

Nevada

1.9/5  rDev -0.5%

ok so yea, i drank some of this at a party. i know i know, blasphemy, but whatever, no matter how high my beer ego is, i will never deny a free beer, no matter how bad it is. this shit pours out pale yellow, clear and crappy with a bad head. smells of cheapness...skunky and corny. in the mouth it is thin, but crisp and when ice cold it is somewhat refreshing. on the tastebuds? corny. ive never had a beer with such a huge corn flavor. like drinking corn flakes. no hops at all so basically your in for a watered down one dimensional corn show. drinkable? yes, in the way that water or something underwhelming and flavorless is drinkable. just dont think of it as a beer, but more a less a palate cleanser.

03-29-2004 09:04:40 | More by DESTRO
Zorro

1.27/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours a fair clear yellow, looks like a corona.

Smell is skunk and grain, Clear bottles suck.

Taste is skunk seltzer water. It isn’t quite as bad as Michelob Ultra however.

Mouthfeel is carbonated water.

Not drinkable by a longshot, a definite pour and brush my teeth beer.

03-19-2004 04:14:49 | More by Zorro
Brent

Kentucky

1.05/5  rDev -45%

I've been avoiding this beer for years . . . but I was in the hottub, and this was what was in the cooler. Bottled in a clear bottle, so that you can appreciate how nearly colorless this beer is. Aroma and flavor - corn malt and skunk. Adding a wedge of lime resulted in limey skunk, perhaps a slight improvement. Momma always said "if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all." So here goes: it makes regular Corona look good.

03-01-2004 18:12:56 | More by Brent
beertaster13

Washington

1.33/5  rDev -30.4%

This is hands down the worst beer I have ever laid my hands on. Almost pours watery with hints of yellow. Is this water mixed with lime, no that would be to good. The smell is of slight skunk and nothing else present. Taste is downright awful, water is better than this, and water is flavorless. Feels of course dull and flat in the mouth. Drinkable if you like water, but even then just drink water. How this is even on the market is amazing to me, Corona is ten times better than the light version, but that in itself isn't to impressive as Corona is below average as well.

02-26-2004 00:37:29 | More by beertaster13
TerryW

Ontario (Canada)

1.65/5  rDev -13.6%

Well, what's to say?

Headless, odourless, tasteless.

No. That's not quite right. That would be water and it's good.

Not actively horrible, but not much point to it either. How the heck did I end up drinking this anyway? Be careful who you hang out with, I guess.

01-30-2004 04:01:33 | More by TerryW
Edwin

1.3/5  rDev -31.9%

This is a joke. Had one of these a few weeks ago just to prove a point to someone. This is by far the lamest excuse for beer I have ever had in my life. Regular Corona is a joke in itself, but this is not even right. Ths beer has nothing to speak of...NOTHING. No flavor, no color, no redeeming qualities whatsoever. $25 per case for this? I'll piss in your cup for free, and you may taste some actual beer in that. Do not drink this ever.

10-20-2003 23:22:40 | More by Edwin
Kwak

1.27/5  rDev -33.5%

Had the unfortunate displeasure of sampling this one the other day, wow this is gross!
It has more or less the same quality of corona extra, but with a definite hole in the flavor like the forgot one thing. Not like most lite beers witch taste like watered down versions of themselves. this beer was definitely missing some key thing what was it I cant really put my finger on it maybe I will never know!!

09-29-2003 23:31:54 | More by Kwak
TinusTime

1.13/5  rDev -40.8%

Had this at the same party as had the Corona for my Corona review. I figured why not go all the way down to the dregs.. well i did. Corona Light is to Corona as tang is to orange juice. How this is even made is beyond me.. The colour is actually a little lighter than the beyond pale corona. The smell some how manages to include, metal, rotting vegetables, sulfer, and chemical cleanser. Yummy. The taste is blech!!!! Watery, with an aftertaste that makes you want to scrap your tongue. Maybe they eat such hot peppers in Mexico to numb the tongue for this stuff. The mouthfeel is nasty and the drinkablity is half a bottle, I had to do a Tequila shot just to rid my mouth of the taste. It is amazing to me that this beer and its brother Corona. Are the Number ONE selling imports in America..A store i go to sells 250 cases yes cases every 2 weeks. If Shaefer is the beer to have when you are having more than one, this stuff is the beer to have if you want less than one.

09-06-2003 16:04:36 | More by TinusTime
slitherySOB

Ontario (Canada)

1.1/5  rDev -42.4%

I feel as if I should laugh while drinking this. "Hahahahahaha! They call this beer? Hahahahahahaha! This is not beer." Pretty much, Corona Extra with 80 gallons more water added in the mash. Pale, pale yellow colour with a few bubbles. By a few bubbles, I mean 27. Yes, I counted. This is the closest thing I got for a head with this nonbeer beer. No smell. Unless you consider water a scent. Then it has a Lake Ontario smell. Very watery, with pollution. No taste. At least the Extra had taste, though it was a skunked taste. This has nothing. Tap water mouthfeel. Drinkable like water. I actually gave it higher points than the Extra. I had one bottle that wasn't skunked, and that's what I used to rate. Since the bottle wasn't skunked, I could actually drink it!!! But that was luck. I got a good(relatively speaking) bottle and that's what I used to rate. If that bottle was like the rest, the score would be a straight one.

08-24-2003 19:02:13 | More by slitherySOB
sardonic

Manitoba (Canada)

2.35/5  rDev +23%

My dad brought two of these over, can't say I know why. I didn't notice any skunkiness, that's probably a good sign. The lightest light beer I've seen, a little sweet. I wish I could try this with a lime, maybe that would make it even better. A little expensive, but better tasting than it's cheaper light beer counterparts.

08-20-2003 04:01:12 | More by sardonic
beerguy101

1.15/5  rDev -39.8%

A fizzy very light fizzy beer. No head. Aroma is slightly skunky malts. Very light flavor, there is a very very slight maltyness. No noticeable hops. But even thought it has little or no flavor, at least what is there is not offensive. Sort of like water with some malts and alcohol. About all one can say. Mouthfeel is thin. Finish is neutral. Aftertaste is very slightly bitter. Also pissed that this stuff cost some larrge frelling $$.

08-04-2003 00:58:27 | More by beerguy101
taez555

1.68/5  rDev -12%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer poured a small white head with a crystal clear orange/yellow/gold body.

The nose, which was almost non existant, smelled mainly of rice, cereal, some slight fruit and little bit of skunk.

The taste was... well... there wasn't much. Little to no flavor at all. A very light body. Slight, slight bitterness. A little sour. Some light corn, rice and cereal flavors. Very finely carbonated. A faint hop earthyness sat in the background, although it might have just been the skunky flavor. Actually the best way to describe the taste is it's like drinking san pelegrino water with a touch of alcohol and cereal.

It finished with a lingering mellow bitterness.

Despite the fact it's like drinking water, it's actually not too bad. There aren't really any off flavors that make this beer a turn off. It just doesn't have any flavor. Toss a lime in it, kick back on a beach and this could be a nice thirst quenching substitute to water.

07-29-2003 06:25:23 | More by taez555
Boto

Connecticut

1.18/5  rDev -38.2%

Yuck! This "beer" is so thin I find it hard to call it a beer. The color is so light you can read a book through it. The aroma reminds me of nothing: it is nothing. Suprisingly, even less taste than Corona. I can't believe that I had this at a friends house who thought he was buying good beer. Ah, the power of advertising!

07-16-2003 21:18:34 | More by Boto
hotstuff

Indiana

1.35/5  rDev -29.3%

Bottle. As much as I had heard about this beer I was absolutely not impressed with it at all. I am not sure what all the hype is when it comes to this beer. It had an aftertaste to it that I did not enjoy and it definitely lingered for quite some time. It was watery and fizzy. For me, this definitely was not an enjoyable drink.

07-09-2003 11:27:39 | More by hotstuff
granger10

Wisconsin

1.18/5  rDev -38.2%

How can they have a Corona LIGHT? Isn't Corono Extra weak enough. I think they used sewer water from Mexico to make this beer. Has a corn smell and taste to it. Sick! A lime definitely needs to be added to mask these horrible flavors. It still doesn't taste tolerable, even with the lime. Life is too short to drink crap like this.

07-09-2003 05:24:27 | More by granger10
Corona Light from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.