Corona Light - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona LightCorona Light

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Light Alström Bros
1.73/5  rDev -9.9%

Someone else bought it, I swear.

Appearance - Light yellow. Not even gold. NO head. No lacing. You know exactly what it really looks like.

Smell - It smells like nothing. Oh wait, there is some sort of offending odor. It's like the smallest whiff of a kicked keg.

Taste - Sort of sweet? Then a really awful aftertaste. Fairly metallic. It just tastes off. I'd say it was skunked if I didn't know better.

Mouthfeel - Waterish? Almost no carbonation, but sort of crispish. I dunno. The least objectionable thing going.

Drinkability - I could have a few, but why would I want to?

Look, it's not good. Honestly, it doesn't taste like a whole lot. Which is sort of the problem. I'd almost prefer if it was just bad, instead of just not being anything.

callmescraps, Feb 07, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +105.7%

This is one of the best light beers going. I don't understand why a basic light beer from Mexico gets such a low score. Not every beer is from Belgium and full of strong heavy flavor. But to me, that is a great thing. I like to drink different beers at different times and this beer is a great easy drinking light beer with low alcohol so you can have a few and enjoy the sunshine. Lighten up Francis, it's just beer.

Lowercaseg, Jan 22, 2009
1.88/5  rDev -2.1%

330ml bottle, a straggler from the ski chalet fridge last week.

This beer pours a thoroughly clear, light golden colour, with two fingers of puffy, fizzy, and momentarily bubbly dirty white head, which sinks away like someone let the air out of its tires, leaving a bit of random streaky lace around the glass.

It smells a heck of a lot like sushi, that is, leftover sushi with that mealy, congealed rice odor, and a kind of vegetal, crisp snow peas character - wait, that sounds way too good for this - oh, there it is, some wet cardboard and faint fusel come to save the day! The taste is very light, sweet white rice in liquid form, soggy saltines, a pithy rotten fruit essence, and weak straw/floral esters that may or may not be construed as hops.

The carbonation is actually quite strong, but mostly in a frothy, airy sort of manner, the body quite thin in its weighting, and smooth like hard water. It finishes with a mealy (diluted rice and corn) sweetness, and some lingering muddled vegetal acridity.

North of 49, they actually have to label the ABV on even this kind of stuff, and it's 3.7%, as if it really matters. Anyways, not overly offensive, plain, and not good for much, unless you're hemorrhaging fluids on vacation somewhere, and still want to appear to be drinking.

biboergosum, Jan 18, 2009
3.4/5  rDev +77.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cracked two of these open in front of the fire on the eve of me and my duck's eighth anniversary. No limes, mind you.
Pours a hazy blonde, with little to no lacing on the snifter. Smells of dried ch'orange peels mashed with peanuts.
A great under-the-bleachers taste, with a faint, Charlie Brown-green bread flavor that lingers in the back of the mouth for a few seconds. Me and my gal- bimbo, limbo, spam- we both paused the relish on this one. She had another, and so did I.

WilliamD, Jan 17, 2009
2.2/5  rDev +14.6%

Thanks to a friend for sharing a sixer. I've been meaning to try this "worst of the worst" for a while, but couldn't bring myself to pay for a bottle.

Damn, this isn't nearly as bad as what I'd read about. Maybe this bottle sat around too long and lost the fresh "character." The aroma has a dirty dishwater character with golden munich malt behind it. The taste has that same bright barley taste with a dirty lime back flavor. This certainly isn't a clean beer, but it vaguely resembles good beer.

I wanted to rip into this beer for being the swamp water I'd heard it described as. Really though, it's just an average crappy beer to avoid. Nothing worth expounding over.

tempest, Jan 13, 2009
1.8/5  rDev -6.3%

A wan straw-yellow, it pours with a minimal white head that does not hang around. Aroma was weak, and the de rigueur lime on the glass mostly masked it. Flavor was typically lagerish, malty but lacking crispness. It didn't taste watery like most "lite" beers, but flavor was still uninspiring. Texture was not thin or watery; however, it was rather lifeless. Definitely one to pass up.

Cyberkedi, Jan 03, 2009
1.78/5  rDev -7.3%

Reviewed on 7/5/08. Enjoyed straight out of the bottle. Some light fruits and banana. Lots of carbonation but pretty drinkable. Not skunky, so I must have gotten a super fresh bottle. I was expecting some Bud Light-like crap, but this surprised me a little.
4/3/4/2/7 (2.0/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 20, 2008

I ask you, Grupo Modelo, why? Why brew an even weaker version of your famous beer? Less flavor, less aroma, less alcohol. Pours nearly clear. There is no aroma, as all I smell is minerals, which I attribute to the bottle. The taste is a travesty of stale water. This beer sucks.

magictrokini, Dec 09, 2008

Original Rating Date:
June 18, 2008

I know I said that I wouldn't rate any of these bottom-of-the-barrel beers anymore, but this beer is so outrageously bad that I had to take a shot at it.

Pours watery and pale yellow. Aroma of skunk, nothing else. When it hits my mouth I'm slapped with strong carbonation, a skunky taste, very weak actual beer taste. I find myself wondering if most of the people who drink this have even even tasted a real beer. Probably not. This is basically a spoiled soft drink with alcohol content. Quite possibly the worst beer I've ever tasted in my entire life and way more expensive than other beers on this level of crappiness- this beer deserves the terrible rating. I needed a lime just to finish this beer.

Vendetta, Dec 07, 2008
1.2/5  rDev -37.5%

Presentation: CLEAR 12 oz bottle with no freshness date.

Appearance: Clear pale straw with a ever so fading white lace.

Smell: Odd aroma of sweetness and grain ... creamed corn? Hint of sulfur and no apparent skunkiness ... we think we found a survivor.

Taste: Crisp, clean and light bodied with some grainy husky flavours that are mildly astringent yet get a little stronger. Hop bitterness is minimal and the husky astringency builds up more in the end. Finish is quite dry and a bit coarse.

Notes: Did this brew come from the second running or pressings of the mash? On second thought maybe one should put the lime in this brew to mask the astringent off flavors.

Jason, Dec 01, 2008
1.63/5  rDev -15.1%

This beer is horrible.
Looks very pale with no head, piss pale color
smells skunky and bad, very light smell though considering the taste
taste's like nothing. Water, CO2 and skunk are the main notes.
Feels like seltzer in your mouth, yummmmy
I'd rather drink most other macros than this, but its still a cheapass macro so not awful straight out of a bottle at a party with a bunch of people

pseudo, Nov 29, 2008
1.27/5  rDev -33.9%

Glass definitely half empty for this one. All beers have their place, but this one would struggle to find a resting place in my garbage disposal. I truly dont believe that brewmasters behind this beer are proud of it, theyre probably proud of the fact that so many people people buy this wretched beer at an outrageous price

a - the only appealing segment of this beer is found in it's reputation as being hip (due to a refreshing advertising campaign) ... if you want to impress the simple minded girls that think your cool if you drink corona, do yourself a favor and sneak to the washroom and replace with a better beer such as keystone light. pale yellow with no head to speak of

S - if you wish to simulate a frothy corona on the beach, wait until your tabby leaks in the litter box, smells like skunky urine

t - taste is bland, skunky, sour, and dissatisfying, however it is better with a lime, yet no beer should require an auxiliary fruit slice to establish even poor potential

m - ...my mouth wants a refund, may be better after i eat sand

d - a good beer to drink if you plan on spilling a lot, would be more drinkable if it didn't taste so bad

climax, Nov 28, 2008
2.15/5  rDev +12%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a very light and clear yellow, with a small fizzy white head, some remnants last for a couple minutes before it's gone, no lacing whatsoever.

S: Upon opening the bottle, I got a bit slightly skunky smelling Euro lager hops, then nothing.

T: Seltzer water, basically at first, when you think the flavour is going to come in the secondary, there's nothing but bubbles. Very light malt in the finish. Nothing offensive, there's just not much there.

M: Off-sweet in the finsh, light and watery, not a bad body for a light beer.

D: It is what it is, a fair light lager, certainly not the worst beer I've ever had. There's nothing here that makes me want to have another one, especially at $7.99 a sixer, when there's so much good beer to be had that's less expensive, fine to try on a $1.25 single.

Halcyondays, Oct 30, 2008
2.15/5  rDev +12%

No lime for this beer...need fruit in your beer, stick your finger in it chump

It pours thin, and has absolutely no hops to it...period

How is it this is the only beer I have seen that keeps in a clear bottle, kinda gross when you think about it

the taste is at best crisp, at worst piss pour

the mouthfeel is fine, and if you had a need to drink mass quantities of beer frat boys/girls this one is better than the other light beers you drink...but I do here it has about the same amount of calories as regular corona, no need for me to do the research as I wont have another....

ncbeermonger, Oct 25, 2008

Can't believe this sells so well. It's just because its served with a lime.

appearance: light yellow, to basically clear, even more clear than others

smell: slight hops to almost zero smell

taste: basically just a clear refresher

mouthfeel: watery adn very high carbonation

drinkability: I guess it good be good for long beach days

CampusCrew, Oct 21, 2008
2.4/5  rDev +25%

A - Clear and fizzy and yellow

S - Like water, with some off white head that quickly dissipates.

T - Not much

M - Like water

D - I like water and this goes down as such. Can't really complain about the flavor cause there's not much.

I can't say I didn't enjoy this brew, but I can certainly say I did have a good time drinking it. This is a sociable beer when conversation and interaction with non beer drinkers dominate the entertainment.

bifrostguard, Oct 12, 2008
1.53/5  rDev -20.3%

A: Poured a very clear, butter-gold with a thin sudsy white head. A slight ring lacing was observed as well a light carbonation factor.

S: A slight skunkiness was emitted upon first opening. The nose yielded cabbage with wet grains. Not pleasant and borders on offensive.

T: The flavor was thin with fresh cabbage leaves, stale cold grains and some sour citrus.

M: equally watery and disappointing with some fizziness from the carbonation and cabbage leaves gracing the tongue on the swallow.

D: not on your life, well deserving of a 1.0 rating and a dumper.

beerthulhu, Oct 04, 2008
2.6/5  rDev +35.4%

A - I like a bottle with the label painted straight onto the glass. This qualifies. This light brew is a golden brown with no head after cracking.

S - The citrus smell of lime is all that's available.

T - There's light beer flavor over-ridden by the fruit.

M - Its actually real coarse and jagged for a light beer.

~ I must sadly admit this to be a novelty brew. It's been given the label of a tropical and festive drink. Unfortunately, the brewery should spend more time on what's in the bottle instaed of so much on advertisements.

cdkrenz, Oct 03, 2008
1.27/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pale yellow color with not really much to it. No reason for a Corona Light. Drink half a Corona, fill it back up with water and you've got Corona Light. Kind of like a diet Corona and believe me a Corona doesn't need less flavor. Throw a lime in it and fire down tacos or fajitas and I'm sure the beer will be fine.

changeup45, Aug 23, 2008
1.2/5  rDev -37.5%

Paler than the gringo drinking it on the beach. Head, what's head? Faint smell of corn, mmm. Taste is on par with tap water. Mouthfeel is similar, maybe lighter than water. Drinkable only if you're making progress with the cute Mexican girl next to you. If you enjoy wearing lipstick, riding dolphins, shaving your legs, poodles, synchronized swimming and/or Oprah, look no further than this little bottle of fabulousness!

itcomesnpints, Aug 21, 2008
1.38/5  rDev -28.1%

a - crystal clear gold color, looks refreshing

s - corn, grass, skunk

t - skunk, corn, and i'm pretty sure i taste something like glue (not that I have ever tried glue). definitely metallic.

m - well carbonated

d - this is just terrible. It looks refreshing on a cold day, but I couldn't finish it.

thirtysixbelow, Aug 18, 2008
2.45/5  rDev +27.6%

I do not see how this beer can receive a better rating that Natural Light, but I guess that is just my opinion...This beer is by no means a good beer, but I will admit that its drinkability is better than other light lagers. Especially when you live in Florida and live on a college budget, Corona is sometimes an alternative

scottyshades, Aug 16, 2008
1.78/5  rDev -7.3%

Corona is pretty light and watery as is, so I just had to see what this one was about. Seethru light yellow with a big head that died instantly; minimal carbonation. Smell is weak and airy, some grainy adjunct smell that isn't even quasi-citrusy like regualr Corona. Goes down extra smooth/slick because it is so light, unfortunately there isn't much taste rather than some citric hops and a mild backbite that lets you know you're drinking (this is without the lime, although it couldn't hurt at this point). I don't see the point in drinking this swill.

clayrock81, Aug 11, 2008
1.58/5  rDev -17.7%

I was at the family cabin, and this was in the fridge. I should have left it there.

A: Corn yellow brew has great clarity and lots of big carbonation bubbles. Tiny foamy white head leaves bits of lace.

S: Faint grass, apple and maybe a little metal.

T: Ouch. Even ice cold, this beer is bad. Tastes of fermented corn are balanced by a metallic bitterness. Metal taste lingers through the finish. As the beer warms past freezing, a taste of cooked veggies creeps in. I should have consumed this faster than I did.

M: Light and watery body with way too much fizz.

D: How does anyone in their right mind spend money on this? There are plenty of macros out there that beat this stuff hands down for 2/3 the price.

Rayek, Aug 10, 2008
1.5/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours an extremely clear, extremely pale yellow color. Lots of carbonation bubbles. Not much of a head. Smells slightly husky, other than that not much of anything. Same with the taste...slightly husky, very mild grains, no hoppiness at all. Very bland and watery with an off taste in the finish. Extremely carbonated, pretty crisp. I guess it's fairly drinkable if I had nothing else around...not by choice.

Doomcifer, Aug 01, 2008
Corona Light from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.