Corona Light - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona LightCorona Light

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Light Alström Bros
1.7/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance- light straw color, hardly and head that dissolves quickly.

Smells of corn, grains, not much else going on.

Taste- not much going on at all. Some grains but mostly water.

Mouthfeel- Very thin, basically carbonated water.

Overall not for me, maybe a good chick beer but that's about it.

2.76/5  rDev +43.8%

Corona Light as in most Mexican beers taste best in the summer with a lime...however, judging Corona Light solomente...its just another no frills cerveza! The beer poors golden clear with good carbonation that give a white foamy head for a brief time. The smell and taste are enhanced with grain. The hops help somewhat with the taste so that it is not bread water. Mouthfeel is easy especially on hot days...enjoy!

A - Straw colored with small bubbles coming to the top, no head.

S - Faint smell of grains, maybe corn.

T - Not a lot of flavor, watery with a slight taste of grains, a bit of skunk. Better with lime in it.

M - very light body with carbonation that feels good on the tongue.

O - If you're on the beach and have a lime then it's not bad, it is what it is.

1.89/5  rDev -1.6%

A: The pour on this is a pale yellow color with a towering white head.

S: How I love the smell of skunk and corn. Lots of metallic notes are also there, as is a fair amount of apple juice. There's also quite a bit of sulfur to it, which is never a good thing.

T: Strong sulfur and skunk flavors, unfortunately, but not surprisingly. Metal is a prominent flavor as is sweet corn and apple juice. Light grassy hops and bitterness.

M: Light in body with a medium to high level of carbonation.

O: Not sure which is worse, this or regular Corona. Not sure it really matters, either.

2.07/5  rDev +7.8%

I'm not expecting this to be good, but I might as well give it a try. My bottle says 3.6% ABV.

It has a very pale straw colour, and is extremely clear. There is basically no head to speak of aside from a slight foam around the edges of the glass.

The smell is very skunky to start. There are also some grainy aspects, but nothing great. Not unappealing yet though.

There is barely any flavour to speak of. It's very reminiscent of sparkling water for the most part. I'm left with a fair amount of bitterness and some slight grainy flavour. The flavour is not balanced well.

Overall, this is purely a marketing gimmick. Nobody would elect to drink this beer because of the taste (nobody with taste anyways). Considering Corna Extra is fairly light already, I can't recommend this beer for any reason.

12 oz. bottle with a lemon wedge the beer makes a good refreshing summer time beer. Without the lemon wedge dont even bother, it is no good but if you need a cold beer it will do in a pinch.
A-Very light lager
S-Very light lager
T-Very light skunky lager unless you have a lemon wedge
m-much like any other light lager

1.98/5  rDev +3.1%

From 07/02/11 notes.

a - Pours a clear straw yellow color with two inches of fluffy white head and moderate to high carbonation evident. Looks pretty much like normal Corona Extra.

s - Smells of corn, grain, light sour bready malts.

t - Tastes of corn, vegetables, sour/skunkiness, bready malts.

m - Light watery body and high carbonation. Too carbonated.

o - Call me crazy, but I actually thought this was slightly better than Corona Extra. Extra had a little bit mroe skunkiness to it in the taste, so this one is getting the nod. Still not a good beer, and I suggest going for most anything else.

1.59/5  rDev -17.2%

I added lime juice and I must say the lime juice was by far the best part of the beer, without any doubt whatsoever. Appearance is well, golden, color, can't say too much bad about it except the crappy head. smell is awful, corn husks with bad skank to it. taste is similar.
mouthfeel is refreshing with lime otherwise just awful.
i would drink again when its free again but otherwise I would rather spend the same amount on water thats nicer.

1.83/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottle.

Pours pale light gold.

Smells of corn malt.

Tastes of corn malt and maybe some very light barley notes.

Feels thin and watery with soda pop carbonation.

I have to disagree with most of the reviews here: this isn't terrible. For one, it's a light beer that actually has some semblance of flavor. On the other hand, that flavor is cheap and tastes like corn sugar. It's also thin. It's not terrible...but it's bad enough to not be worth trying.

1.8/5  rDev -6.3%

Drank straight from 12 oz bottle.
Not much going on here. Very light color, cannot judge head out of the bottle. Smells of some light grains and maybe corn, but altogether little aroma. Very little flavor again, no distinguishable hops, only a bit of cereal sweetness. Very thin, I think that the small amount of alcohol in this could make it thinner than water. With this very cold it is about as refreshing as water, but does have some flavor.
To improve on the whole experience, added a squeezed lime wedge to the bottle. Much better, now it tastes ad smells like lime, and pretty much nothing else.

1.5/5  rDev -21.9%

I have been scouring my local bottle shops, picking up stray singles here and there and this was one of them. I only hope that people will forgive me for straying so far from The CANQuest (TM), bottle be getting back to it shortly.

Like I wrote in my CAN review, this seems like a product of the Department of Redundancy Department. Corona and Light just seems like doubling down. My pour created a finger of very fizzy bone-white head that was bubbling its way out of existence almost as quickly as I could pour. Color was a pale lemon-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity. I could see into the future through this one and it was not pretty! Nose was pretty cereal-adjunct laden and there was no disguising it. Pheh! Mouthfeel was fizzy with a mere modicum of watery taste on the tongue. Blah! Finish was dry and refreshing, but water would have the same effect and this was effin' close to water! Why, oh why, do I do this to myself.

1.5/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a pint. I hated this beer before my craft days, lets give it another shot, thanks mom!

Appearance- Aggressive pour yields a ¼ inch of foam that quickly fizzles out to nothing. Light pale color. No lace.

Smell- Grainy and corn.

Taste- Grainy corn again, no surprises here. Pretty sweet. Though there is something on the backend that I can’t really describe, but it is a flavor! Perhaps old hops.

Mouthfeel- Light and very fizzy. But in no way refreshing.

Overall- Very watery. Though it is slightly better than I remember it, but still don’t envision a scenario where I would drink it again. This beer sucks, even within the style. But where ever they film the commercials, I wan't to go to there!

1.58/5  rDev -17.7%

Not quite a finger of head, and it lasted about as long as it took to pour it. Minor lace and very little cling. Color is a 3 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell is very faint, with aromas of wet corn, and malt. Taste is hardly there, tastes of wet roasted corn, rice, and malt, with just a trace of lime. Mouthfeel was water, with a little fizz. Not something I would buy again, unless I was in Mexico and there wasn't any other beer available.

Give me a break. Had this 'cause I wanted to see if there was a difference in the regular Corona.
A: Golden yellow.
S: Dry, stale.
S: Skunky.
T: Skunky, flat
M: Salty, skunk, water, lemony.
O: Taste the same. The only difference is that if you put a lime in it you have a bad beer with a lime. If you don't you just have a bad beer.

2.09/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a pale golden yellow color with a one finger white foam head that quickly fizzles away into a lasting ring. Not much in the way of lacing. Not the best looking beer but I've had plenty of "craft" beers that look mucher paler/worse.

The aroma is pretty bad but the lighter version of this beer kind of waters things down making them less offensive. Faint stale faded hops with lots of grain and corn. Not very pleasant.

Light bodied but again, not as pale or light as the reviews make it out to be. The flavornis pretty bad with faint hop bitterness followed by an odd metallic flavor along with hints of grainy adjuncts. Lots of corn flavor. I hate putting fruit in beer but adding a lime actually improves this beer giving it a sweet citrus flavor. That bein said you shouldn't have to add fruit to a beer to improve it's taste. Pretty bad but not entirely offensive and easy to drink in hot weather. The scores are really terrible for this beer but I'm not sure they're entirely warranted.

1.57/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Wait, I thought Corona was a light beer! You're telling me they made a lighter version of an already light beer?!

Bottom of the list? I must review this.

A: Bad. A person with poor vision would mistake this for water.
S: I smell nothing.
T: It truly taste like water with beer food coloring added to it.
M: Satisfied my thirst and for that I'm grateful.
O: Not good. Not the worst beer I've ever had in my life, but a beer that I dont need to consume ever again.

1.62/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Out of bottle.

A: Pale yellow, thin white head.

S: Smells like beer. nondescript hops, and alcohol.

T: Tastes like UGH, not what I want to have again.

M: Thin watery and over carbonated.

D: Fantastic after a few nice ones, and the cooler starts to get low.

1.53/5  rDev -20.3%

I was at a backyard party today (a hot day) and this looked refreshing, plus the choices were limited. Drank it straight from the bottle with no lime.

A-if there was a urine soda, that's what this would be. very pale and extremely carbonated. the head fizzles down in seconds like soda pop does.

S-just skunk, that's all i'm getting.

T-this is like having sex in a canoe. (it's fucking close to water) with almost no flavor other than skunkiness. Now I see why people add limes to this. To mask the horrible flavor with citric acid.

M-hey on a hot summer day, this is actually pretty refreshing. But then again, so is water. Go with the water.

O-I've heard that Corona intentionally skunks their beer by using the clear bottles, because apparently some people like this??! Maybe this tastes good fresh; and maybe it tastes better with the lime. But regardless, there are far better options. Hey if you want a good summer beer that's refreshing, take some Goose Island 312 and add 50% water, and you'd have a similar beer but maybe it'd taste half way decent!

1.46/5  rDev -24%

This is by far the worst beer I have ever had.
Even served cold, the smell is hardly existent (which won't kill a beer for me) but a tiny bit of graininess.

The color is pale yellow.

The taste is bitter, that's it. It's not like it's a Killians Red or something which I enjoy. But seriously, it tastes like alcohol and grain.

The drinkability is only mildly okay because it's so watery.

It may be refreshing on a hot day, but that's it.

Corona Light has a thin, white head and a clear, straw appearance with a good amount of bubbles streaming up the glass. The aroma is bready, yeasty, and toasty. Taste is a predominance of lightly-toasted barley malt and there is a trace of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Corona Light finishes crisp, mild, refreshing, and dry. Overall, I was surprised by this one. Groupo Modelo hit the target. For a light beer, this is damn good (and, I'm not one for light beer).

RJT

1.28/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured into a pint glass as I cannot allow this beer to touch my Duvel tulip...

Clear straw yellow in color, super fizzy head, zero retention and a ton of carbonation

I'm swearing off clear bottles I swear, the skunk is strong with this one and it's all I can smell

Tastes like bubblegum and garbage, the forced carbonation amplifies this to a horrific level. Super powerful with these 2 flavors nothing else as far a flavors go

Slick on the palate and light in body, super fizzy and not refreshing in the least.

Overall, I think I shaved 10 years of my life with this brew, skunked batch of awful. Seriously though clear bottles are now a turn off when it comes to beer, only redeeming quality is it's not bad to observe from a safe distance

1.15/5  rDev -40.1%

Pours a clean pale yellow color with a small white to no head at all. In the aroma, small skunkiness to a light, sweet European lager smell. In the taste, watery European pale lager to nothing. A small bite and light bodied mouthfeel, with a small dryness to clean aftertaste. Watery, no real taste. ICKY!

1.52/5  rDev -20.8%

24 oz can poured into a Negra Modelo stemmed glass.
JH11CO28 on the bottom of the can, no info.

Happy Cinco de Mayo. I wish I was having a margarita. This wont even come close to sufficing...

A - Stunningly clear and piss-pale yellow with extreme carbonation and a deafeningly loud effervescence (ok, that's a BIT of an exaggeration). The loose white head disappears in mere moments.

S - Almost no distinguishable beer aroma, it's full of dry straw and sweet-ish hints of corn. I'll admit it smells "refreshing" though.

T - Almost, almost flavorless. Dry, husky straw and mildly sweet corn pull through. This one tastes much (and that's an overstatement) better with a lime.

M - Crisp, clean, overly carbonated, and very, very light-bodied, you might even consider calling this sparkling water.

O - Would it refresh on a hot beach? Yes. Will it quench the desire for a remotely flavorful beer? Most definitely not. While it's certainly not good, it's definitely not the world's worst beer. I never have the "Light" version but the Corona's I drink very few and far between always have a lime.

First had: at some terrible bar, I'm guessing

Pours yellow-gold, thin, and fizzy, often served with a lime (I'm assuming so you can blind yourself with it and be taken to the hospital before having to drink the Corona). Smells stale; tastes of pure skunk personified and sickeningly stale/sweet. Bitter, rotten aftertaste. Avoid at all costs.

My theory on how Corona is made...many agree with me: 10000 Mexicans each drink a bottle of cheap tequila and then pee into a large vat. Then the contents of the vat are bottled up and shipped to your local dive bar!

This beer is the WORST commercial light beer is America, completely imperfect, very thin, very boring, and skunked. Why would Grupo Modelo make a beer that is lighter than an already light beer. Almost worthy of a drain pour (of course I'm not going to do that).

Corona Light from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.