Corona Light - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Corona LightCorona Light

awful

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Corona Light Alström Bros
1.35/5  rDev -29.7%

Pours a pale straw color. Loose white head falls fast.

It smells like skunk piss filtered through cream corn, then watered down with water from the Rio Grande.

The flavor is worse than the nose. It is so watered down I really cant pick out any one flavor.

Ill just say the mouthfeel is crisp at first, then my mouth is left with a slimy coating.

I cant drink this beer! This just might be the worst beer that Ive ever had!

I don't understand how or why people buy, let alone drink this. Corona Extra is at least understandable to me. It's a summertime thing, it can be refreshing, yadda yadda yadda. This, the Light version, horrible. It's the palest beer imaginable. It's the clearest yellow they could manage and has a light white head. It smells of nothing other than skunked beer. There's literally nothing to it. The flavor too, it's skunk light. It isn't even worthy of a lime. It's also one of the lightest, most watery beers around. It isn't drinkable whatsoever. You might as well order soda water.

1.33/5  rDev -30.7%

As pale as yellow can get. Almost a clear yellow with a faint fizzy white head that disappears in the blink of an eye. Smells like cooked cream corn. There's more taste than I expected but that's not a good thing. It's a musty grainy flavor. Yuck! Mouthfeel is very thin and thier is very little after taste. THank goodness. If you have to add a lime to make it drinkable then I declare it undrinkable.

1.65/5  rDev -14.1%

"Nothing's better than having a Corona on a hot summer day." How many fucking times have you heard some frat-sorority douche say that? You know what I say to them? Shut yer fuckin yap!

But I digress, this is about the beer itself and not the scum-sucking spunk who slog this beer. So, I go in fresh drinking a most likely skunked Corona Light. Will I survive? Will I puke? Will I just give up and play video games instead? Wait and find out!! Or don't!!

Poured into my classic McDonalds Coca-Cola glass, and I must say it looks like a bubbling glass of stale urine. MMMmmmmMMMM!!!! The head burst onto the scene with mild results, then fizzled into basically nada - just like urine.

Holy unassuming shit, Batman!! This beer is like some type of ghost beer! I see the beer...but I can't put a finger on it. No smell, nor taste! *rolls eyes* Let me try again....I think my beer might be skunked - it has been in my fridge for a fortnight. Yeah, I can only smell a schtickle of moldy, corny grain. And I taste...just a drip of that familiar generic cerveza taste - shy, virgin grain.

The only thing this thing is good for, and it's still not good for, is the mouthfeel, because it's actually noticeable. Agua-like smoothness that's crisp and ready to be chugged.

This beer is a grade A piece of junk. But it's also a great beer to utilize for a big night of drinking games. It's simple, totally barf worthy, and probably cheap as shit - I dunno. I still don't like it, and I never will. The only thing I do like is their commercials. That Christmas one is a classic - honestly, a palm tree with Xmas lights? That's gold, and this is piss.

This was my step dad's go to beer many moons ago when I was growing up, more so Extra than Light but Corona was his quality beer. Budweiser was his regular offering, btw. Again light pale golden clear bodied lager, low in alcohol. No lime wedge squeezed and shoved down the neck of the bottle for me. A good old fashioned pour into a fluted pils glass. Very pale yellow, quickly fleeting white head really no lace is left behind. Sorry looking beer, let's go for a few sniffs...cooked veggies/corn/rice with a solvent green/skunked/grassiness. Wow, this is the worst fuckin' beer I've ever tasted, it's got off flavors coming at the palate from every direction. I though cold temp would make this beer more suitable, this is unbearable. At first sip it was terrible, second sip no better not as rough. The off flavors begin to actually justify themselves and if served cold enough without a lime you may be able to drink the whole bottle. I'm starting to get a headache half way through, and I have drank mass produced swill beer my whole life, wtf? My head is now tingling like a just huffed on chemicals. This beer tastes wrotten with skunked/strong carbonation cooked vegetables not much sweetness or fruitiness pretty clean finish. Mouthfeel is watery/carbonation is crazy high like I just dropped an alka seltzer in it. Drinkability overall is a never again verdict, I will never dance with this devil again.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Well, I've hit review #200 so I thought I'd travel to the opposite end of the spectrum and go with what it typically considered to be a universally bad beer.

Appearance: A sickly yellow colour that made half a finger of head that didn't lace or sustain, the only redeeming quality is the consistent carbonation rising from the body, but even that makes me raise an eyebrow as I get the feeling this might taste like seltzer.

Smell: It's skunked with some corn and dusty hops in the background. It's not outright offensive to earn the 1, but not a lot is redeeming this beer.

Taste: Lacking in extreme, and probably intended to have lime added to it to give it some flavour. It starts with some light corn taste and turns to a light dusting of frankly dusty hops.

Mouthfeel: It starts watery and the carbonation kicks it to give the hops that little touch of strength like a four year old getting a push on a swing he doesn't know how to use and quickly pans out his momentum as a tonic water and metal aftertaste lingers.

Drinkability: It's refreshing because it's watery, but if I wanted water I'd ask for water. It's bland and boring and the carbonation doesn't let it sit well.

Final Thoughts: This beer isn't the worst beer out there, but it's close. It's like it does the absolute bare minimum to stop you from saying it's without merit, and in some ways that's even more irritating. The other question is, why would you drink this when the already ludicrously light standard Corona would likely be available wherever this is sold. I think with some lime, this beer would rank around a D to D- but stand alone, it's a big ol' F, which I can't say I didn't expect.

3.2/5  rDev +66.7%

Served in bottle with slice of lemon. I've found i prefer this beer with lemon as opposed to lime. Slight skunky aroma that I've grown to expect from this beer as well as tolerate. It's almost expected as part of the mexi lager style. Light and lively carbonation. Very drinkable on a hot day. Little to no bitter aftertaste or hop aroma/flavor. Thirst quenching.

People hate on this beer, but I think it's perfect to have outside on the beach or by a pool. I could down a 6-pack with no problem and not be bloated and sick beyond belief. I think this is what it is made for.

Presented in a nice clear bottle with a decent yellow color. Beer is skunky and smells terrible. Tastes like dirty water and leaves no taste in your mouth because it has none. As far as drinkability is concerned, you could pound a few if you are not a conoisseur or you just dont care about beer taste.

1.5/5  rDev -21.9%

A: Pours a surprisingly light shade of straw, holds no head, and boasts no lacing. This beer looks about as sexy as the bearded lady at the circus.

S: They could market the term "odorless" for this brew, but then they would be discounting the nuance of creamed corn that I'm getting...

T: More creamed corn, no hops, no barley, just corn.

M: Have you ever had soda water on its own?

D: How do people pay a dollar per bottle of this junk? In all honesty, I would drink Natty Light over this. They taste about the same, but Natty is cheaper. On a side note, I hate corona from my days at Beers of the World, due to the countless bottles I had to sort that contained moldy limes.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Flavor. There is none to be found. It's not like Rolling Rock though, where there's little flavor yet it's at least refreshing. This is just not at all enjoyable. I wasn't expecting much, but jeez, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Very fake with a typical faint adjuct smell and taste with a very, very pale yellow color. Essentially no head. Nothing positive to speak of.

1.18/5  rDev -38.5%

Reviewed from notes. Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a transparent golden color with a lot of carbonation and really not much of a white head. The nose is a bit skunky with some really, really light grain. The taste is just about nothing. Lightly-skunked hops and some faint grain husks. Very light with high carbonation. This tastes bad.

1.43/5  rDev -25.5%

A- Transparent pale yellow with fizzy head that quickly goes awy.

S- Sulpher, metallic. Quite offensive with a good dose of skunk.

T- Corn, rotten eggs, Musty and bitter.

M- Watery, with a dry finish.

D- Undrinkable, thin and water with a rotten egg and skunk taste. I see why people put lime in this. I'm not sure the lime could even salvage it.

1.05/5  rDev -45.3%

Crystal clear yellow in color with no head and slow carbonation.
Smells like lemon and metal.
Tastes very light lke water with a sour flavor that rolls around. Some bitter bite but not sure if it is hoppy....or something else, hard to identify, cant be hops.
Mouthfeel is kind of like drinking club soda that has been opened and forgotten about in the fridge for a couple of weeks.
Not very tastey.

1.18/5  rDev -38.5%

So, the beer absolutely sucks. Hands down, nothing more need be said. (but, I have to)
Pours a thin yellowish color, white head that goes away quickly, and no lacing.
Smells light like corn.
Tastes like water with bitterness (from somewhere, sure wasn't hops.)
Mouthfeel -- too thin.
Drinkability? What's that?

1.63/5  rDev -15.1%

Hey it is what it is - really really cheap beer meant to be drunk ice cold on a hot day. Really it's just filtered and purified water in an average attractive bottle with a convenient long neck for wedging a lime slice into it. Yeah, I'll drink this given the right circumstances, I'll even enjoy it, but it's certainly not a beer lovers beer.

1.33/5  rDev -30.7%

12 ounce bottle - $1.49 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a clear, thin-looking, pale yellow body with a foamy layer of white suds on top, though this soon dies down.

Smell: Jesus, what is going on with that scent, it smells particularly skunky with a big whiff of rotten eggs. It's no wonder I've put off revisiting this beer for so many years.

Taste: Barely a hint of insipid barley grain up front, with a touch of corn-based sweetness, no real hop character or bitterness, but a troublesome metallic bent to it. Small crackle of carbonation on the weak, less-than-clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied with a mouthfeel that is quite watery.

Drinkability: Unclean and unpleasant. I certainly couldn't fault anyone for chucking a lime into this, or even the adding salt thing I occasionally people engaging in, 'cause this beer needs some help.

A - pours like a soda (head fizzles away as soon as its create) but looks like urine.

S - Offensively skunky.

T - With the smell getting worse as I raised the glass to my mouth made me very hesistant to even take a sip. The taste... quite possibly the WORST beer I have ever tasted. I.. I seriously don't even know why anyone would drink this. I honesty cant even tell you what it tastes like, but I wanted to throw up after I drank it.

M - Really?... do I even have to continue wih this. It feels fizzy, thats all I can say.

D - I wish there was a none option. One sip was deadly enough for me.

Final Thougts: AVOID!!!! nuff said.

2.3/5  rDev +19.8%

A-Watery urine color. Tiny head fizzes and dies quickly.

S-Skunk. Then bland corny grainy.

T-Watery. corny/grainy. Really bland. I don't know whats worse. The lack of flavor in the light version of Corona or the increase nasty flavor in the Extra Corona.

M-Water. Bubbly. Lighter than Extra.

D-Maybe more drinkable the the Extra. Maybe not. Either way i'll try in most instances to stay away from Corona. If I needed to choose I'll take a crappy American born Light before this. Like the Extra, needs a lime to make it taste alright.

2.15/5  rDev +12%

A: Pours a light, brilliantly clear pale golden color. A fairly tall, fluffy white head pops up initially, but fades relatively quickly. Lacing is spotty but not absent.

S: Some hints of corn and slightly sour astringency. Maybe a vague vegetal hoppiness.

T: A bit of nondescript sweetness up front. Corn, sulfur, and sour lagery mediocrity. A faint flash of herbal/vegetal hoppiness.

M: Medium-light body. Carbonation is slightly perky. Astringent, but somewhat refreshing.

D: It's fine, for a light lager. Better than Bud or Coors Light - a dubious honor to be sure. For the semi-premium price, there's no reason to bother at all. Still, if someone brings this over, I'm not too good to drink the leftovers.

1.08/5  rDev -43.8%

Very light clear gold color, the white head has poor retention. Smells of cooked corn and grains. Do people actually like this?

The taste is much the same as the flavor. Corn and grain. No real character to this beer at all.

Light bodied, fair carbonation, and just plain terrible. I will try most anything once, but I will not be giving this another chance.

1.73/5  rDev -9.9%

Appearance - Golden yellow, clear beer with nice-sized, moderate carbonation. No real head to speak of. The best scoring category in my review.

Smell - actually smelled a bit like medicine or antiseptic.

Taste - did not have much taste at all. Perhaps a medicine taste.

Mouthfeel - thin. I drank this beer pretty fast.

Drinkability - It was the only cold beer in the house. I think that I would have enjoyed this beer more if I didn't actually think about these 5 categories and how short it falls of the mark in any of them.

3.25/5  rDev +69.3%

Overall, i enjoy having these.. while in Mexico. I find it heavily carbonated and slightly overrated. The taste has no distinguishable characteristics, no hints of flavor, just carbonation. Even less taste than the extra. With lime, on a beach in mexico, I can enjoy it. But as an import, especially any time outside of the summer, this is not my beer of choice.

1.13/5  rDev -41.1%

12oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

A pale straw yellow body with a foamy white cap that rose and settled to a very thin layer. The aroma is light. Toasted corn, metal and sulphur. Corn and artificial grain up front on the palate with a sweeping brush of metallic nastiness. This is crisp and clean and completely devoid of true flavor. Light body with little to no aftertaste. This is tough get down, had to add a lime halfway through to at least give me a little something to grasp on to.

2.33/5  rDev +21.4%

A friend brought over a six-pack, free is free. A little better than American lights. Pale yellow color, faint aroma, not the weakest beer flavor, maybe a hint of citrus (unless that was my subconscious filling in the blanks.)

And since it has that marketing term "light" on the label, I will follow Madison Ave. down that aisle and state that it's slightly more drinkable than American lights. A bit more heft, but nothing special.

1.33/5  rDev -30.7%

A- As pale as straw gets with virtually nothing of a head.
S- Smell is of corn, some grain, and metal/sulpher/skunk.
T- Corn and artificial grain flavors that do not mesh well on the tongue. no hop presence. becomes more sulpherous and enjoyable as it warms.
M- Crisp clean and as light as it comes.
D- A definite negative recommendation even among light lagers. there's just nothing that one could positively point to as solid about this one. The smell and flavor are just too artificial and blatantly adjuncty to allow this to be decent.

Corona Light from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.