Join our email list →

Pacífico - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

PacíficoPacífico

poor

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico | website

American Adjunct Lager | 4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-02-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pacífico Alström Bros
Reviews: 494 | Hads: 1,789
3.75/5  rDev +41.5%

12 oz bottle enjoyed on a hot summer day. Poured into a 12oz mug.

A: Has your typical macro look, light golden yellow. Does have a nice big soapy head that turns into bubbly rings.

S: Sweet corn and grains, a touch of hops.

T: Pretty good, has some light hops and pale malt. This beer does have a sweetness to it and I don't know if it comes from the corn or a bit of citrus.

M: Good carbonation for the beverage considering this is supposed to be a refreshing beverage. Quite refreshing and has a bit of a creamy consistency (low end creamy).

D: Very. After all this is an American style Macro and it pulls it off well. Not only that, it is better than most macros. May not be the best beer in the world, but it does represent the style and I believe it sits pretty high with the style.

3.73/5  rDev +40.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I drank this coming straight off a Negra Modelo, so perhaps my rating will be a bit skewed. I actually thought this was a pretty good beer, with a malty kick and good mouthfeel. With moderate carbonation and a golden color sprouting a white head, the beer looked and tasted above average to me. Now, is that because I already had two Negra Modelos before I tried this? Perhaps, but as of now, I'm giving it a half decent rating.

3.72/5  rDev +40.4%

Pretty clear and yellow. Perhaps a slight bit deeper than your average American Adjunct

Smell is fairly thin and grainy but fitting for the style. Not looking for much of an overbearing scent when diving into a Pacifico.

Taste isn't at all offensive. Nothing new but certainly a good Mexican beer to session

Taste is light but flavorful. Feels refreshing and can be drank in large numbers in succession.

Overall, I'd say skip the Corona and the XX and go for a Pacifico if you're looking for a light Mexican beer in widespread distribution

3.71/5  rDev +40%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This beer is way better than its rating here. Aroma of mostly grass, corn, and pear. Light and crisp mouthfeel. The aroma and taste are not overly powerful, but thats the point of the style. No off flavors detected. I would have to guess that a majority of the poor ratings are due to improper storage and handling.

3.67/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pacifico Clara is a better than average everyday beer with a nice copper color and a refreshing, thirst-quenching quality. Understanding this beer is not intended to be a craft beer or high gravity, it beats most US mass-produced beers hands down for taste and quality. Mouth feel is nice though slightly watery which is outstanding on a hot afternoon. Once on an early June day hike in the Arizona mountains I stuck a few bottles in a melting snow bank at the trail head before taking off. On my weary return I cracked open bottle after bottle of PC and was warmly welcomed by an ice cold Mexican kiss. Looking for a decent but low key beer to enjoy with friends by the grill? Pacifico Clara will fill the bill nicely.

3.6/5  rDev +35.8%

A nice, clean, and light lager with a satisfying smooth maltiness, Pacifico easily holds it's own against the mainstream American lager monoliths. This pale golden beer is a perfect example of a lager - drinkable and easygoing. Maybe it's not frilly or showy, but this one certainly quenches the thirst and gets the job done. Next time you're in the mood for a lighter beer, pick up these instead of the usual light beer (no names, please) and see what you think. I like it.

3.6/5  rDev +35.8%

While I usually don't care too much for Mexican beers, this was a nice suprise and much better than the much more often seen Corona. Color and appearance were nothing to write home about but I was suprised by the taste and found it pretty enjoyable. Was picked up for a Mexican themed night with our friends, sure we switched between these and margaritas, but everyone agreed that this beer was a solid 'OK'.

3.6/5  rDev +35.8%

I will say this was a good Mexican beer. It's got the citrus thing going on, with a hint of corn and wheat. It's better than Corona, probably because of the brown bottle as opposed to the clear. Beers should never be bottled clear, especially if it's going to be imported.

But back to Pacifico, I'm going to enjoy more of these in the future.

3.6/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Apperance- Light yellow, little head to the beer

Smell- Light grain smell to it

Taste- Like a normal lager not much to it has a slight fruit taste to it slightly better than Corona

Mouthfeel- Has a normal amount of carbonation to it, is a light beer goes down smooth and refreshing

Drinkability- Is drinkable would gladly substitute this for Cornona

3.59/5  rDev +35.5%

Overall, a good mark. On even or better par with the South-of-the-Border Cervezas (adj. lagers) such as Corona, Sol, Dos Equis (XX)and Modelo. Refreshment is the common denominator for all of these brews because they are not designed to give one the warm and fuzzy feel of the winter brews. Pacifico is a warm weather beverage.

A: golden, transparent, but with less than average head and lace retention.

S: fruity hops.

T: Nicely noticeable hops without bitterness or residual taste.

M: Thin, average mouthfeel.

D: Above average drinkability. Well-worth the price of a sixer for the sake of experimentation.

3.55/5  rDev +34%

Sorry I love this beer, guilty pleasure yes. But let me tell you I have nothing but fond memories drinking 12 packs of this one the beach while living in Southern California when I was there the summer after my freshman year in college. I also discovered craft beer that way that most of us here know it but this beer is just good mass produced lager, it's not rotten like most mass produced Mexican swill. I even drink it ocasionally at my local Mexican restaurant called Puerta Vallarta. I even squeeze the lime and it tastes so good in bottle or frosted mug. Bottles there are 2 bucks, I just finished a 20 dollar bottle of Infinium. I'd rather drink ice cold Pacifico with Arroz con Pollo and Chile Relleno anyday. Even compared to other shitty beers, this is good tasting and enjoyable, so I'm offended that this is considered the bottom of the barrel. Yes it's fizzy yellow beer and it has corn and rice adjuncts but this one is a lesser of all evils for me. Flavor wise straight or with lime it has subtle sweetness no raw off flavors just a dynamic drinking experience that comes of both drinkable and enjoyable especially when paired with the right foods. Drinkability overall is great mouthfeel is light bodied mass produced thin fizzy lager that I really really like drinking.

3.53/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is my standard daily beer. I tried Sol and Corona but of all three, this is the heaviest (malty) of all three, therefore my preference. Am not aware of the head, as generally I drink it straight from the bottle. Good heaviness, mouthfeel and going down, due to the carbonation, is not that smooth. Slight metalic aftertaste.

All this said, this is my preferred daily Mexican beer, when compared to Corona and Sol. Am going through other Mexican beers to see how they rate, but this has been my daily beer for several years and although there might be better ones, this one works for me on a daily basis. Friends who have tried it have started it as their preference in daily beers over the aforementioned Mexican beers.

3.52/5  rDev +32.8%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a lacey white head. The aroma is actually not bad. It has a bit of citrous/almost belgian like scent. The taste is good also. Yes, it is still another Mexican lager, but it has a nice flavor to it. There is a zing to it almost like someone squeezed some fresh lemon into it. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. It drinks well and is really quite enjoyable. I'd like to be drinking this on a hot summers day.

3.5/5  rDev +32.1%

Obviously not a craft beer, but this one brings back some good memories of the SoCal coast when I was traveling out there. This seemed to be the beer of choice at most of the boardwalk and beach bars. Good times. So, good times deserve a good or better rating. Is it great? No. But if I'm coming off one of those all day surf sessions where the summer sun reflects off the water and cooks ya, rocked out at the gym and need a refresher, just finished sweatin' my 'nads off cuttin' grass...I'm crackin' a Pacifico brah! Smooth goin' down, refreshing taste, crisp finish.

3.48/5  rDev +31.3%

A regular among my room mates. As far as Mexican beers go, this is the best I've had. But I'm not big on Mexi-Beers, so don't get the wrong idea...

I never poured this into a glass so I can't really describe appearance. I imagine its like a Corona or Dos Equies. Smells like a Corona. The taste is a good though, refreshing thankfully. Which is probably why its a common in my house. Its decent to have on a hot day if nothing else is around.

3.48/5  rDev +31.3%

A: Head is white, but slightly translucent and appears greenish yellow at times. The beer has nice active carbonation and is crystal clear. The head fades instantly though, very poor showing.

S: Somewhat skunked with a slight vegetable aroma lingering over a grainy base.

T: The taste is significantly better than the aroma. Much cleaner with no skunking at all. Mild bitterness, exactly what I want in this style of beer, and a light flavor, but still a solid I-can-taste-this flavor. This beer isn't even ice cold and I can stand to drink it just fine!

M: A little flat, this could use just a touch more bite, but the body is spot on.

D: The aroma makes it a little difficult, but in general this is pretty good.

3.48/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Lived in Mexico for a couple of years and was very happy when this (at the time) West Coast Beer made it east to Mexico CIty. Not expensive, not rich body, just a great blonde beer. I pick some up periodically in the States and I. Really enjoy just soaring its taste. Not a heavy beer but rich tasting. Huh unusual. They do something right. A great beer at a reasonable price and never gives you that bloated/sinking feeling. Keep making it available. I will keep drinking it.

3.47/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Average gold looks with a substantial cream head. Nose is gots lots in it, thick floury wheat with citrus lime on the horizon. Taste, too, has body and some finesse. Thick creamed corn and wheat. Hint of lime. Mouthfeel is enjoyable, gentle carbonation. Above average drinkable brew.

3.47/5  rDev +30.9%

This is a much better choice than a beer like Corona. This is very light, and doesn't have much taste which makes it great for a super hot day. It's very refreshing since it tastes like carbonated water.

3.46/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a glass.

Appearance- light, bubbly, head dissipated quickly.

Smell- surprisingly interesting smell, very refreshing, almost citrus-like.

Taste- light and easy, better than Corona I'd say (although similar type of drink). Certainly more complex of a taste than Corona, there's more going on here.

Mouthfeel- initially very pleasant and crisp feel, but afterwards it's average.

Overall- very refreshing beer- it's gets the OK from me.

3.45/5  rDev +30.2%

A very decent Mexican brew. This poured a typical straw colour and had a minimal head. Smelled of grain and slightly of hops. Served very cold, this beer is good...a definant step above Corona and quite drinkable with mexican dishes. This brew has a slight skunkyness to it though, but it does not come out too bad untill it warms up. A very drinkable mexican beer.

3.45/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear dark yellow brew.

Smell is quite fruity like a hard apple cider. I can smell grain and a bit of malt in there too.

Taste is mild with a fruity and floral flavor to this. Mild grass and hops to this one too. A unique flavor.

Mouthfeel is maybe a bit over-carbonated.

A drinkable brew that some will not like.

3.45/5  rDev +30.2%

poured in pint glass no lime
A: pale golden piss color with a fast disipating head
S: smells of corn mostly and a little malt sweetness
T: corn sweetness up front then goes off into a little bit of malt sweetness and grainy but finishes tart and dry
M: very water and fizzy but ok
D: i only buy this when it is on sale but by far it is they best tasting mexican beer in my opinion

3.45/5  rDev +30.2%

Pale yellow with a thin, white head that fades quickly, leaving some patches.
Smell is subtle, corny malts with a trace of hops.
Taste is similar to the smell, but a notch more intense. Corny malts with a little bit of hops presence. Little bit of earthy yeast as well.
Mouthfeel is crisp, with a slightly watery finish. Light body.
Drinkability is good. Nothing to really complain about here. Not an outstanding beer by any means, but it goes down easy and is still refreshing after a long day of working outdoors. Much better than Corona.

3.45/5  rDev +30.2%

Looks like your standard yellow mexican beer. A tad darker than corona or tecate.

Smells of cooked corn and melted butter.

Taste is pretty bland, but not offensive. A splash of wet wheat and then a mild lemony finish.

Nice carbonation. Fizzy, but not killed by fizz like its rivals.

A good afternoon drinker for sure.

Pacífico from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.