Pacifico Cerveza Clara | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

YOUR RATING = None |
poor
awful
Read the review

Pacifico Cerveza ClaraPacifico Cerveza Clara

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-02-2002

Reviews: 505 | Ratings: 1,818
3.35/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer is light and enjoyable with little aftertaste. It does not taste like Budweiser as some have suggested. It has a much better taste than American light beers and would go great at sports bars or sporting events. If you are simply looking for a cold light tasting beer, this fits the bill.

2.69/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

From the bottle, it pours a clear golden with a quick forming and short lasting head. Grain in the nose. Very light flavor in the mouth, and it has a very light feel.

3.71/5  rDev +40%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear golden color with a thin white head and lots of crazy streaming bubbles.

Smells like a beer with barley malts and I even pick up some yeast in an almost bready sense. Other than that not a whole lot going on.

The taste is something like the nose, not a lot going on. It has a decent beer taste with just a hint of some hops toward the back.

The mouth feel is very light and watery with a very crisp finish.

Overall this is a decent adjunct lager from Mexico. There is not a lot of sweetness here like some adjunct lagers. However I have had better beers that have come up from south of the border. I think that this is worth a shot because these Mexican beers are pretty close in taste and this may be the one for you.

2.52/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I guess this is the same beer as the quarts with the whale on me. Yellow beer can't hold a head. Clarity wasn't even all that special. Aroma of corn.

Taste was more corn, like a corn tortilla lightly toasted. A lot of carbonation here. Its like corn flavored mineral water.

Nothing bad here. Just mostly water.

2.51/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

From notes taken 04/17/16:

Perfectly clear straw gold with thin, foamy head of weak retention. Smells like adjunct grains, honey, floral hops. Grainy taste, seems like corn, incredibly watered down, but at least not harsh. Light honey-like sweetness to back it up, don’t really notice much for hops. Light-bodied, spritzy and then effervescent carbonation, making it seem almost medium-bodied. Not nasty, but little to recommend it other than its refreshing and crisp qualities. Typical adjunct lager, without even trying to fool you otherwise.

1.76/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I had this on my Wants list forever, since hearing rumors that they had begun putting it in CANs. Have I seen it in bottles? Sure, but between the dwindling Bottle Backlog and my ever-decreasing interest in more bottled beers, I have shined it on until now. The CANQuest (tm) recently discovered it in a 24-fl. oz./710 ml CAN & I jumped on it! As a retired sailor, this was a gorgeous CAN! The graphics, with the bronze anchor, the blue sea, the life preserver & the hops bine, all spoke to me. Plus, the bright yellow (my favorite color & shade) was totally eye-catching on its own.

From the CAN: "La Cerveza del Pacifico (The Beer of the Pacific)".

I readied my largest glass, put up a fight on the open to unleash one of the loudest Crack!s ever & actually CANmenced an inverted Glug, believe it or don't. This mad craziness led to three-plus fingers of foamy, soapy, rocky head with low retention, retreating as quickly as it had advanced. Color was Pale-Straw (SRM = 1 -2). Nose smelled like a farmer had scooped up a cat & a skunk in a fight to the death & flung them into the corn silo to ferment along with the rest of the pig slop. Oof. Cattiness + skunkiness + silage = eyeballs rolling back just prior to fainting. It has, admittedly, been a while for me, but AALs were the backbone of The CANQuest (tm) for a long time. I had really forgotten what it was to actually drink one. Mouthfeel was barely medium. It was just slightly above thin. The taste was like my upcoming afternoon snack of Fritos. This is a little off-track, but my longest-lasting formative moments were in Nursery class with Mrs. Havens in 1969-'70 at LCDS. I was smitten with this gorgeous redhead, Lauren, with whom I shared a freckled face, but not the hair. We held hands at every opportunity & were the talk of the school until she transferred a couple/few years later. I wept inCANsolably at the loss, but I have had a redhead fetish since. Another love that has stuck with me since then is Fritos. Mrs. Havens gave each of us a bag with lunch one afternoon & I was hooked! I have heard, repeatedly, that Fritos are for little kids, but I love the crunchy mouthfeel, the saltiness, the oiliness, the taste and especially the way that they pair with food. I have baked, stirred and otherwise incorporated them into dishes ever since my introduction to them. I CAN't say much good about a beer that tastes like corn chips, but at least it invoked a pleasant memory. Finish was oddly semi-sweet, rather than outright sweet, but it was still pretty much rubbish, overall.

2.46/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

It's not good. I don't really know what to say about this beer. Degrades rapidly as it warms up, starts at bad when ice cold and just gets worse. The best thing I can say is that there are actually worse Mexican style AALs produced in the Caribbean than this one. And it's not as skunky as Heineken when its first cracked open.

2.75/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Picked this one up not expecting much and wasn't disappointed.

True to the usual Mex AAL style, light color, flavor and hops. About as bog standard as one of these gets.

Another food beer.

2.51/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear straw producing a finger of finely bubbled, rapidly fading, white head that leaves no appreciable lacing. Aroma is adjunct grains with grass, honey, sulfur & metallic hints. Taste is similar with more corn & husk. Low bitterness that manifests mostly in the finish with no alcohol detectable. Finishes clean & dry with faint bitterness in the grainy shortlived aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light bodied with light-moderate carbonation, crisp & dry.

1.76/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

I poured this into a nonic pint to help with head retention. Alas, even with help, there is no head retention. Loogies on a mossy pond is what's left on top. The body is pale straw with a touch of blonde, and 100% transparent.

Aroma of baked cornbread, a touch of straw, white bread.

Flavor is bitter and awful. Straw bitterness, followed by rank corn, hop pastiness and a finish of buttered unleavened bread.

Feel is thin and overly carbonated.

This beer is quite simply awful. There is nothing redeeming about this beer from saving it from the drain. The drain is getting the rest of this one.

3.75/5  rDev +41.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pretty good beer from Old Mexico. Received as part of a make your own six pack from Friar Tuck. Aroma is creamed corn. This one comes in a brown bottle, so it isn't skunked. Was kind of watery on the palate. This is a perfect yard beer or work around the house beer. I'd have this again. Was probably my favorite out of the six.

3.29/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.25

OK, Appearance. .crappy Mex Lager
Aroma? Please. Skunkish, but not like that uber popular skunk Mex beer.
Mouthfeel? Meh.
Taste? Are you freaking kidding I love love love this beer!!!!!!

I can't help it, it holds a special place in my heart.

3.78/5  rDev +42.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The Budweiser of Mexico. A light pilsner style, with more flavor than Bud. I found it to be refreshing--something enjoyable without overthinking. Taste is very decent. It'd be great in the summer, and very good with a sandwich. But it's perfectly fine to enjoy by itself anytime.

3.22/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle into a pilsner glass

A - Clear pale straw in color that is almost golden in appearance. Thin head despite hard pour and high amount of carbonation is present based on amount of bubbles and how quickly bubbles rise to surface. 3.25/5

S - Very light malt profile with a hint of rice and white bread. Grassy hops are very prevalent. 3/5

T - Lightly toasted white bread is the initial note to jump out at me followed by a hint of yeast and butter. Rice along with a hint of corn strike me in the middle along with a slight pepperiness. Finishes grassy with a bit of green apple and a slight lingering bitterness. 3.25/5

M - Carbonation tickle, not a burn, despite the amount of carbonation visibly present. Ultra light with a slight drying astringency on the back end. 3.5/5

O - Decent pilsner style offering here that doesn't need a lime wedge in the bottle like it was originally served prior to me requesting a glass. Would definitely come back to this if and when a very light beer is in order. 3.25/5

3.14/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This is not a craft beer. This is the perfect beer to eat with seafood cooked in lime such as 'ceviche'. This is the type of beer to make 'micheladas' with. I can understand the low ratings when compared to a craft beer, I would not like to sit down and sip on this either but when seafood is dinner, this is the perfect beer. Light, crisp, bolder than other beers at the same price. No overwhelming taste or notes to make me feel like Santa Clause after downing pounds of seafood. Seafood, pacifico and lime= satisfied. Ps foodd city sells these for 12 while other stores sets them off around 15. If I paid 15 for this I'd be dissapointed, honestly. At 12 I can't go wrong.

2.3/5  rDev -13.2%

Look: Hey, it's a typical Mexican beer. You know what it looks like: it's pleasant and golden. You can't fault it here. Looks like a party. Fingernail head on a slow pour from the waiter.
Smell: I'm getting a syrupy smell that doesn't bode well. Besides that, honestly, there's some floral notes on my nose that were very promising.
Taste: There it is. It's medicinal, sweet, cough syrupy. Drinkable while cold--not good in the least.
Feel: It's light, but watery. Enough said.
Overall: Avoid this beer.

4.24/5  rDev +60%

Screw it, I admit: I love Pacifico. Could it be gross sentimentality? Maybe. Could it be wanton self-styled rebelliousness, my beer of choice when thumbing my nose at the beer snobs? Perhaps. Or, maybe, just maybe, this is a really satisfying drink. Goes down like water, without being watery, perfectly carb'd, this is the absolute epitome of a beer that demands another sip, the bottle gone in what feels like seconds. It's got a faint hint of corn in the nose, or maybe it's psychosomatic, too many evenings of chips and salsa at the local taco joint having embedded in my brain that harmonious combo of warm corn torilla chips and cold Pacifico (same goes for what I swear is a hint of lime in there too). It's malty, it's entirely inoffensive, it's not skunked, save for perhaps a whiff of it in the nose, but which, sentimental or not, I kind of like. It's weird to rate a beer like this so high, but the stark reality is that I'd rather drink it than most of the beers I'd rate below it. That alone justifies the score in my book. Salud!

2.65/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

typical mexican beer, i've yet to find one that really stands out from the rest. i passed over this beer numerous times but finally bought it, i'll be skipping over it from now on as well.

1.53/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pretty much tasteless typical Mexican beer. One step above Tecate, which isn't saying much. My son brought some over a couple of weeks ago and four of the six pack are still in the refrig. Hate to throw out beer, but to me this shit is barely drinkable.

2.55/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bright yellow golden color with a thick three finger head with good retention.
Light aroma with notes of malt sweetness, cereals and maybe faint floral hops.
Flavor with notes of grains, mild cardboard and some floral and spicy hops. Dry aftertaste with a mild bitterness.
Light body with good carbonation.
Refreshing Adjunct lager, less offensive off-flavors with a hint of hops. It is far from especial, but possibly a bit better than the traditional ones (Corona, Sol).

2.98/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Tasted this beer in a blind taste test with 5 other cheap beers. It won 3/4 of our votes for the top choice among the 6. Its nothing special, but compared to the likes of Dos Equis, PBR, Lone Star and others of the like, it was far more drinkable.

3.47/5  rDev +30.9%

This is a much better choice than a beer like Corona. This is very light, and doesn't have much taste which makes it great for a super hot day. It's very refreshing since it tastes like carbonated water.

3.82/5  rDev +44.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I enjoy Mexican Lagers and are probably my favorite style of beer. I find lime and a little salt to be a great combination with any beer. I think Pacifico is a bit smoother than some of the other Mexican beers like Modelo and Corona. I enjoy Modelo Especial as one of my favorite summer beers, but change up from time to time and get Pacifico. Pacifico does not have the aftertaste that Modelo has, so in that respect it is a bit cleaner. Pacifico is hands down better than Corona. Corona is just a terrible beer, skunky. Pacifico has the right idea using brown bottles. I think that helps with the freshness.

2.81/5  rDev +6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

My favorite of the Mexican lagers. Very refreshing and easy to drink. Nothing to write home about, but definitely a good beer for a day with some friends in the warm summer sun. Get some reggae on the radio, grab some good friends on a nice warm sunny day, and throw a few of these back in a nice relaxed outdoor environment.. preferably a good beach and I promise you'll make this your go to beer for such an occasion.

1.66/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a clear light golden colir with white head. Cereal grains on the nose; follows onto the palate. Light bodied. Finishes with lingering grains and a touch of sweetness.

Pacifico Cerveza Clara from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.