Pacífico - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

PacíficoPacífico

poor

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-02-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pacífico Alström Bros
2.42/5  rDev -9%

Got a bomber off this for Cinco de Mayo. Yeah, I know, I'm not Mexican, but what the hell, if every other idiot is going to drink Mexican beer on this day, I guess I should too. (So ashamed)

Golden boy, lots of carbonation, white head gone in an instant. Aroma of corn and some grainy malts. Not much going on in the nose. Flavor is watered down sweet corn, a bit of malty grains, dry crisp finish. Not much going on this beer. Luckily I have a few slices of lime to throw in here to make this taste a little better. Where's my Grain Belt... Would not buy again.

KeefD, May 06, 2009
1.58/5  rDev -40.6%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. A few days ago, I was making a mix-and-match six pack, and I decided to pick up some Mexican beers for Cinco de Mayo. Would it be a decision I'd live to regret? Read on and find out!

A: Slightly less pale than the typical macro. What little head there is quickly disappears.

S: Corn.

T: Like any other macro. This is simply too boring to merit making a real effort to describe the flavor.

M: Thin and watery.

D: Grupo Modelo's successful attempt to market its beers as premium products has to be the biggest practical joke in the history of American business. If I were dying of thirst in the Sonora Desert, I would happily suck one of these down. Otherwise, this is slightly more pleasant than catching swine flu.

BarrelO, May 05, 2009
2.75/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a bottle into a frosted pint glass with a line at the local Mexican restaurant. The lime went into my water instead.

Pours a pale yellow color with a little bit of white foam that died down immediately. Color is more yellow than anything, see through.

Smell was unimpresive. Sweet corn if I had to give any description.

The taste was okay. It was clean, a bit sweet, though much better than the sickly sweet and heavy Corona. Little watery in the mouthfeel.

Overall I liked the beer, could see having it again. It went down easy and worked well with my chimichangas.

KTCamm, May 02, 2009
2.6/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a shaker (not worthy of my nonic) pint. No dating info. Part of the wife's beer stash so figured might as well review it since needing some fresh bottles for the reviewing machine. It was a pale yellow color with a few carb streams. No lacing. It had a small fizzy white head that quickly faded into nothing.

The aroma was malty, sweet, skunky. Not real pleasing but on-par for the style and around a BMC. The taste was just below average. This sample didn't have the lime and it really needed it. I enjoy this and all Mexican beers with the lime. Of course, anything to mask the true flavor would work. This has become one of my go to beers when eating TexMex and all they have is BMC or this. Not great but gets the job done.

Overall, a fair to poor beer that I only drink or recommend if done to this or Light/Lite beers. Only makes it into my fridge when the wife wants some beer in there. Of course, I keep that in the garage fridge and not my beer fridge in my office. Just saying.

TexIndy, Apr 23, 2009
2.68/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a clear, yellow color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Poor retention and poor lacing. Smells of adjunct and yeast, but mostly lacking. Fits the style of an American Adjunct Lager. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of adjunct and slight yeast characteristics, but mostly water. Overall, not very much flavor at all.

Tone, Apr 20, 2009
2.73/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Ordered a bottle while eating at a Mexican restaurant on a Friday night. Poured into a pilsener glass. Mostly yellow color with a bit of an orange hue. Lots of carbonation. Thin fizzy head. Smell was unnoticeable. Taste was pretty basic. Corn and sweet malt coat the throat. Slightly sticky aftertaste. Pretty watery, so that didn't add to the mouthfeel, but it did add to the only redeeming factor to this beer -- its drinkability. Very easy going down. Matches up with the cuisine it's usually served with. Having one with Mexican food, or perhaps on a Mexican beach, would be the only real reason to order one.

morebeergood, Apr 18, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +25.2%

Poured from a 24oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appears golden/yellow with very high carbonation, and just a whiff of head that dies down very quickly like soda pop or seltzer water. The carbonation is pretty inviting & somewhat unique, champagne like strings of bubbles escape evenly throughout. Leaves no lacing, but it's what is expected for the type of beer it is. Smells of sweet corn, rice, hints of grain, hints of mixed vegetables and fruity aromas consisting mostly of pair, apple & grape. Aromas are pretty much average.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes very similar to the aroma, fruity grape & pair, some apple, and of course lots of rice & grain flavors. Surprisingly has a nice hop bitterness on the finish, as well as some subtle malt and a little dryness. Flavors aren't outstanding though, in fact a little watered down & absent. Mouthfeel is thin, tad silky, crisp and lite bodied with a small bite of carbonation on the tongue despite the high carbonation appearance.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - Overall not bad, surprisingly had some slightly different hop characteristics with some dryness on the finish, something I haven't experienced in a beer of it's type. It definitely reminded me of Dos Equis Lager, easy drinking, not complex but manages to pull some flavor out. I thought it was okay but I would have appreciated more flavor, the flavors were a little drowned out. Id say give it a try because it does taste better than allot of beers out there in the same category. Cheers!

PintOHops, Apr 17, 2009
1.78/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Another typical mass-produced lager with absolutely no distinctions to its credit.

Bland, crisp -- drinkable, but not very tasty. Your typical Mexican lager. Not very good, but easy to drink and relatively cheap. Get something else if you're going for flavor, as this is just watered down hops and grains with not much else happening.

kflorence, Apr 17, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +36.5%

Overall, a good mark. On even or better par with the South-of-the-Border Cervezas (adj. lagers) such as Corona, Sol, Dos Equis (XX)and Modelo. Refreshment is the common denominator for all of these brews because they are not designed to give one the warm and fuzzy feel of the winter brews. Pacifico is a warm weather beverage.

A: golden, transparent, but with less than average head and lace retention.

S: fruity hops.

T: Nicely noticeable hops without bitterness or residual taste.

M: Thin, average mouthfeel.

D: Above average drinkability. Well-worth the price of a sixer for the sake of experimentation.

MikeInIowa, Apr 16, 2009
2.53/5  rDev -4.9%

A friend left a bottle at my place after a bunch of us had a get together and made Mexican food. Disclaimer: I am from Texas, so don't front on my (Tex)Mexican food knowledge

A - pours a crystal clear gold body with an OK head which went to absolutely no head pretty quickly

S - macro lager. Slightly sweet, fairly grainy. Hardly anything to say really

T - macro lager. Bit of corn and some grainy malt. Again, nothing much to write home about, but not undrinkable

M - incredibly light-bodied. Not enough carbonation. However, I'll leave it at 2.5 because it goes down like water

D - this isn't a great beer, but then again it's an adjunct lager. As a Texan, Pacifico has 2 uses:
(1) combat thirst when sitting outside on hot days, e.g., a party or cook out or something (though I prefer Lone Star);
(2) combat thirst when consuming TexMex or Mexican. This is what Pacifico is best at. Serve it cold in a bottle with a lime (yes, that's right) and go to town on your eats. The light body and light taste don't get in the way of the delicious food, and it manages to quench thirst pretty well.
So yeah, rock Pacifico as instructed and you'll be OK. It gets a 3 for serving its purpose well, and for being drinkable in fairly large quantities

ruckzuck, Mar 20, 2009
3.3/5  rDev +24.1%

This is one beer to goes well with a plate of spicy tacos. Don't bother pouring into a glass, the bottle works just fine for its smooth delivery. Sweet with the typical macro-brew taste. Nothing special, but makes a summer time beer. Sometimes I find it for $5/6-pk, not a bad deal. Average beer from Mexico.

jkdrummer, Mar 18, 2009
2.9/5  rDev +9%

Pours a straw gold color with a one-finger head that quickly fades, leaving sparse carbonation.

Aroma is sweet and grainy with a hint of corn in the nose. Surprisingly, doesn't seem skunked in aroma.

Taste is smooth and a bit watery with grainy malt, corn and just a bit of sweetness. Seems quite bland. Inoffensive.

Not much for a mouthfeel here. Just slightly lingering corn and grain. Quite like drinking water.

I expected worse but this is really quite average. It's hardly a beer but it excels at being average.

Brad007, Mar 12, 2009
2.45/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 325 ml bottle into a pint glass. The label lists an abv of 4.5%.

Small white head didn't last for long. Pale golden yellow with some subpar carbonation. This beer has some serious graininess in the taste. Modelo makes a few decent Mexican beers but this one is lackluster from start to finish.

BierFan, Mar 07, 2009
2.75/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a clear yellow with a thin white head. I would have just drank this from the bottle if I wasn't reviewing it. No lacing.

Smells of a typical lager but with a little more malt background. Not alot of aroma though.

Tastes like a lager. What can you say? It has a little more malt flavor than your typical lager and I like that.

Mouthfeel is a little less carbonated then I would like a lager.

Overall you could pound a ton of these and feel like you have been drinking water. Good for a hot summer. Probably a better lager than most.

PeprSprYoFace, Feb 27, 2009
2.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours clear light yellow with a small white head that disappears quickly, leaving minimal soapy lacing. Not bad so far.

Smells of grainy malt and DMS (corn). There is also a solvent-like smell. No hops.

Grainy malt taste upfront followed by bitterness, mostly from tannins and slightly from hops. There is also a hint of nail polish remover. Little to no hop flavor. Astringent grain aftertaste.

Light body, well carbonated, finish is dry.

This beer has a very harsh flavor for how light it is. Lots of astringent bitterness. Not pleasant.

KevinBrewer, Feb 12, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +37.2%

While I usually don't care too much for Mexican beers, this was a nice suprise and much better than the much more often seen Corona. Color and appearance were nothing to write home about but I was suprised by the taste and found it pretty enjoyable. Was picked up for a Mexican themed night with our friends, sure we switched between these and margaritas, but everyone agreed that this beer was a solid 'OK'.

Azumel, Feb 06, 2009
2.53/5  rDev -4.9%

My bus driver purchased this for me from a 7-11 outside of Cancun...
Appears a transparent light gold with a small white head that quickly fades out. Tiny remnants of lacing are left.
Smell is of lemon soaked maize and pilsner malt.
Taste is that of the aromas. Lemony, grainy, light corn flavors coming through, along with just a pinch of grassy hop notes.
Mouthfeel is light bodied, crisp, and drinkable enough for me to finish it and think twice about going for another while on vacation.

weeare138, Feb 04, 2009
2.83/5  rDev +6.4%

As I pour my Pacifico into a glass I immediately see the resemblance to an American macro lager. It has a pale yellow color and is extremely clear. There is also quite a bit of carbonation. Not much of a head formed after I poured and what did form disappeared quite quickly and left little in the way of lacing around the glass.

The aroma is very plain on this brew. I detect some corn and grainy malt and very little hops. It is a little sweeter in the nose than your run of the mill lager.

The taste is slightly different than I expected. As the beer first hits the palate, I catch some citrus that I was not expecting unless I added a lime. I definitely can taste the corn and grain throughout, nothing spectacular.

CMW, Jan 26, 2009
3.3/5  rDev +24.1%

After some margaritas this beer was an OK finisher. Went well with tortilla chips and such, but I would have liked something else. Not a big fan of the fruit in the beer, but it was a Mexican Restaurant, afterall. I thought the drinkability was good, but I wish I would have chosen a Carona.

Dallasjohn, Jan 10, 2009
3.1/5  rDev +16.5%

Pours a light golden color with a thin white head. Well-carbonated and lively mouthfeel. Aroma was corn and some lemon grass hop notes. Flavor of citrus and grain,a little pale malt,a clean crisp mouthfeel,refreshing,and drinkable. Pretty good for its style.

WakeandBake, Dec 29, 2008
3.08/5  rDev +15.8%

Appearance: Golden yellow, lots of carbonation, tiny head. Pretty average to look at.

Aroma: Not much...if anything, corn.

Taste: Slight malt, some lemon thrown in, and a slightly bitter finish. Pretty bland overall

Mouthfeel: Thin...carbonated and fizzy

Drinkability: Its not "offensive" and its not a style that is supposed to offer much flavor...its just a mass produced beer. So it works in this category

Its harder to grade these...personally I don't fancy these beers that much, but if I were to grade within its category, it sort of makes the cut (bland drinkable fizz water). I can't give it horrible grades for tasting the way its supposed to, so this explains the higher rating. Sort of higher, at least, compared to the average

kshankar, Dec 27, 2008
3.33/5  rDev +25.2%

Pours gold with a one inch fluffy white head. Minor lacings which disappear fairly soon. Aroma is typical macro. Taste is slightly sweet malts with a decent hop bitterness in the finish. Kind of a junior pilsner. Mouthfeel is good with a slightly astringent aftertaste. Makes you want another taste. Easy drinker and would be a good beach beer or any other hot day event. Certainly more character than Corona Extra. And as an added bonus no skunk whatsoever.

Spikester, Dec 27, 2008
2.3/5  rDev -13.5%

I tried this one at Chevy's in the Palisades mall because it was the only beer I had not had on the menu. I knew what to expect from this style after taking many into my stomach during my honeymoon earlier in the year but figured I'd give 'em another shot.

A: Delivered without a bottle and a lime stuck in the top which I quickly jettisoned and asked for a pint glass. Poured a clear yellow-ameber with sizeable amount of retention and minor lacing but could not contain the head. There was a cap after a full angled pour and did it's best to stick around but was gone within three quafs.

S: The nose was barely around for my senses and I gave it many a deep dive to garnder some grain and a lemon tint at best.

T: The flavor simply fell flat each and every time. However, I was not expecting much from the weak showing of the nose. It's no different than any regular American macro lager I reckon. There really is not taste beyond a bitter wiff before a quick dry finish comes and goes.

D: I don't mind Negro Modelo and gave this brewer a shot and Pacifico won't offend you nor impress either.

Brianmerrilyn, Dec 21, 2008
3.28/5  rDev +23.3%

this was a pretty mixed review....the appearance was terrible...no head and certainly no lacing and i couldn't pick up much from the nose. the taste....oddly refreshing with a dry finish, and the mouthfeel was what you would expect from a lager really. i'm not sure what taste i was getting from this beer but i did suprisingly like it and it was easy to drink.

heath1agnew, Dec 15, 2008
3.4/5  rDev +27.8%

12 oz dark brown bottle.

I always considered this to be the Mexican version of Grain Belt Premium. Maybe it was the corn taste or it being slightly sweeter than usual. Either way I don't care what most people say I rather enjoyed this. Very drinkable, good carbonation and taste.

Mistofminn, Dec 13, 2008
Pacífico from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.