Pacífico - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

PacíficoPacífico

poor

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-02-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pacífico Alström Bros
1.75/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.5

Bottle into pint glass

A: Pours bright straw color with little white head that is gone after a second leaving a little film on the top.

S: Bitter, spoiled hops. Almost a sour smell.

T: Sour spoiled hops with a little sweet twist at the end. The taste leaves almost instantly leaving really nothing on the pallet.

M: Light and crisp with good solid carbonation. Nice light body.

O: Meh. Pretty average beer, but I wasn't expecting anything substantial. Good party beer on a hot summer day.

2.65/5  rDev -0.7%

Pacifico Clara is as yellow as the can it comes in but, it goes without saying, is of course much more transparent. In fact, it has the same level of crystalline clarity as those famous white sand, clearwater Mexican beaches. It's not quite as spectacular, mind you, and given the total lack of head I'd say it looks not only ordinary, but even a little sub-par.

The aroma has perilously little character to it, and what few features it does have are not good. The diluted, adjunct-infested beer hits the nostrils like heavily chlorinated pool water - not what you'd call 'offensive' but distinctly chemically altered. Its cereal sweetness has some of the sugars and dryness of a white wine, none of the flavour though.

Like all popular Mexican brands, Pacifico is thin and insipid, designed for maximum refreshment (and maximum appeal). Apart from a cereal, corn-tinged graininess, it doesn't lay claim to much flavour at all. While this makes it more approachable to the masses, it also makes it a very boring, worthless beer to anyone with even moderately discerning tastes.

I think it's important when traveling to fully experience every shred of native culture you can, and that beer can be an excellent medium through which to do this. Ironically, however, national brands like Pacifico don't shed light on any culture, except that of mass industrialization and commercialization, which actually oppose distinct culture.

I've always felt that even in the most scorching heatwave I'd want a drink that is refreshing *because* of its flavour, rather than for its lack there of. Most people feel the opposite, which explains why such a bland, watery beer as Pacifico Clara can become so popular. If you're alright consuming dollar store quality products, good for you. I'll pass.

3.48/5  rDev +30.3%

A: Head is white, but slightly translucent and appears greenish yellow at times. The beer has nice active carbonation and is crystal clear. The head fades instantly though, very poor showing.

S: Somewhat skunked with a slight vegetable aroma lingering over a grainy base.

T: The taste is significantly better than the aroma. Much cleaner with no skunking at all. Mild bitterness, exactly what I want in this style of beer, and a light flavor, but still a solid I-can-taste-this flavor. This beer isn't even ice cold and I can stand to drink it just fine!

M: A little flat, this could use just a touch more bite, but the body is spot on.

D: The aroma makes it a little difficult, but in general this is pretty good.

3.23/5  rDev +21%

Alright, I didn't hate it, but I'm trying to be fair to the much-hated category.

Pale amber, I think, in the Cinco de Mayo plastic cup. Nice head retention and a pleasant carbonation. Very sprightly and prickly on the tongue. Not much real flavor, kind of a salty water. However, the is a pleasant hint of malt. Even a twang of hops. Bitterish aftertaste, though slight. Seems like the classic Mexican lager, though better than I remembered.

Not a beer I normally choose, but it's perfectly acceptable as a gulp-- or here in Old Town San Diego with the Mariachis blaring, would you rather have Modelo Light in a can?

1.34/5  rDev -49.8%

My poor beer stein...

Pours a pale yellow, crazy amounts fizz, zero head though... Funny how that works. Looks like there's not much carbonation.

Bit of skunk, some cooked veggies and bubblegum. Little bits of cooked corn.

Something almost sour? God that's bad, bubble gum sweetness again, no hops at all, kind of a cooked cereal taste.

Feels slick on the palate, the lack of carbonation after the initial fizz didn't help matters at all

Who drinks this? Is it a joke beer? God damn, keep this stuff far far away from me...

2.5/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a clear straw yellow with 1 finger worth of fizzy head. Quickly dissolves to nothing and doesn’t leave much for lacing.

S: Grains and some corn in the aroma.

T: Grany with some corn. It actually tastes a lot like Corona without the skunkiness.

M: Medium carbonation with a light body.

O: I don’t have much to say about this beer. I probably won’t be having it again. Although it does seem like a Corona that hasn’t been skunked which is a plus.

2.06/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Another beer I tried in my travel in Mexico. Poured in a tall clean glass it produced a two finger head of tight pure white foam, with just about no lace and what there was had no cling. Color was very clear, bright yellow. Smell was wet corn, and barley. Taste was muted corn, and malt, with just a hint of flavor of pepper and lime. Mouthfeel was like fizzy water, not much there. I can say I had one, but most likely my first and last.

2.2/5  rDev -17.6%

Another on the mini tour at my local Old Chicago. Poured a yellow fizzy...(can I just cut and paste a review from Corona, Tecate, etc?). No aroma; too sweet of malt and no bitterness. Again, not offensive but little taste here. Definitely a lawn mower/at the beach brew.

2.43/5  rDev -9%

You are seeing right folks: Pacifico Clara!!! Why?? WHY NOT is what I say!!!

Waxing nostalgic back to high school...Many of these were had...

Pours a completely and totally clear yellow with hints of dark straw. A short, fizzy head without much, if any lacing. VERY well carbonated...Too well, in fact, to be naturally carbonated. It's the soda pop of beers!!

Aroma, we don't need no stinking aroma!! There is some stuff in there, actually: I get some barley - very light to crystal malt. A hint of hops, but not really...It's hard to smell anything really....Remember what the kids who never drank beer before smelled like the next morning after a kegger? This beer smells like that.

Flavor - it's very soda like. It actually tastes like a beer spritzer...Like club soda was added to it. Very light. I get some hints of malt, not much, and the carbonation totally washes it all away. It's hard to discern anything in this. The finish is long and absent of any hops. I don't know if any hops is in here now that I take a second look...

The basics: Super, UBER cheap and 4.8% ABV. For those of you throwing '80s Hair Metal MTV parties this summer, stock up!!! Everyone else: find something better to spend your money on.

What I like most: The price and refreshing nature of the beer.

What I like least: It's not really beer, if you ask me.

Verdict: Super cheap, and you get what you pay for!!!

2.55/5  rDev -4.5%

this is a more drinkable version of corona

looks and smells just very typical for a lager, but clean smelling, no skunk or off aromas, basic light malts, a little bready and hints of fruit

taste is kind of decent/nasty, harshish mashed fruit with lagery light bread, just ok i guess

overall, this is a better version of corona, but doesn't even compare to modelo or negro modelo.

3.87/5  rDev +44.9%

I'd like to start by saying I don't know why this beer is rated so low. I expected it too be bad but it surprised me with its Pilsner style. I split a 22 oz. bottle of this between a friend and I. Initially I expected this too be bad. Overall I rate Mexican beer at average or below. The appearance was a decent yellow color. It didn't like artificial. The carbonation is high as I expected. The beer has a nice balmy smell. Some esters move in followed by good pale smelling malts. As I titled the glass to my lips I discovered a nice Pilsner. It isn't distinctive but it is refreshing to taste a Mexican beer with some character (e.g. Bohemia) The taste is pale and has a good hop profile too it. Pacifico and crisp and refreshing. I am enjoying the taste of this beer. It doesn't present any repulsive or off flavors. It is light bodied and would perfect for washing down Enchiladas or other spicy foods. or enjoying while hanging out on a warm summer day. This beer is mild but has more character than I expected. I will definitely buy Pacifico again.

2.83/5  rDev +6%

Pours a light golden, clear liquid with a 1 finger white fizzy head that quickly dies. The scent is sweet and light, some alcohol in it, and a trace of funky hops, but not skunked up like Corona. Has a light malt and grain flavor, some bitterness in the end, not especially aromatic or flavorful in any way. The texture is much like a slightly viscous soda pop. The beer is easy to drink, but would get old fast for my taste. I have to compare this to the other common Mexican lagers and in the respect, it definitely does well. It is much better than Corona, Tecate, Sol, etc.

2.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into flared Pilsner glass. Poured a clean, clear gold with no head. The aroma was on the sweet side of typical. Nice grains and just a trace of gentle hops. The taste was fairly average as well, grainy and sweet. No noticeable yeast or hops.The body was also typical for the style, perhaps a touch fuller than most. Drinkability was good for the style. If your gonna have a light brew around, this would be an OK choice.

1.87/5  rDev -30%

No head. Crystal clear straw body. This beer doesn't smell awful, but I would have rated it a 1 based on the fact that it has almost no smell whatsoever. I can almost pick up a slight hint of corn. This has to be the least pronounced scent of any beer I've had so far. Tastes completely watered down with extremely vague hints of grain and herb. Easy to drink because it's essentially colored water. Great for someone who wants to get drunk and who hates the taste of beer. Hardly even a noticeable trace of alcohol.

2.7/5  rDev +1.1%

As most mexican pilsners that Modelo makes, this beer is clear (like water), crisp, and very tasteless. It tastes like all of the other mexican pils, so it becomes more of a do I look cooler with Corona, Modelo espcial, or Pacifico.

I think that I choose this beer mostly out of protest to drinking Corona for the week in cabo. But most bars in Cabo offer you 2 Pacifico for the price of 1... so I guess that is what made it drinkable (the price).

1.48/5  rDev -44.6%

Pours a poor looking yellowish straw color with a thick white head and no lacing. Smells of sweet corn and a little sweet malts. Tastes of sweet corn and a little sweetness and maybe a little bread. Mouthfeel is medium and it has a heavy carbonation. Drinkability is low.

2.88/5  rDev +7.9%

Usually have it in mexico or when eating mexican food. Pours transparent thin yellow color, medium size white head came and went, high-medium carbonation, extremely light aroma of hard water and corn. Hits the mouth with a thin watery body, the malt doesn't come across very well over the watery taste, finish, if you can call it that, goes away quickly. Refreshing however.

2.44/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Scored this down in Tijuana. Quart size bottle, neat little whale on the label. Kinda went downhill after that.

Yellow beer. No head lace, wasn't even all that clear despite seemingly being 98% water. Smell was industrial, light corn. Taste was similar. Mouthfeel, just really like those flavored waters, not as sweet. Easy enough to drink, goes decent enough with the chicken/dog tacos.

2.85/5  rDev +6.7%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a very thin, small head. The carbonation is fun to watch but not much else. Extremely clear but lacks all nuance in color. Very pale, light yellow.

S: Slightly sweet maltiness. A touch of lime and rice?

T: The very light amount of skunk is palateable. The taste is light and a little sweet. Not bad for this style.

M: This, heavily carbonated. Slightly oily.

D: Drinkable in the sense of a watery light lager. Still, better than most of the American macro-lagers.

2.65/5  rDev -0.7%

A: The beer pours a yellow/straw color with a quickly receding white head and pretty much no lacing.

S: Smells like corn. Very sweet and grainy as well. There's some sugary notes to it and a bit of toast, even. Maybe a little bit of skunk and grass, but not horribly offensive.

T: The nose was decently unoffensive, but the flavor is pretty harsh. Lots of toasted grain and bitterness that doesn't really fit into the rest of the beer. Sweet corn and sugar makes up most of the flavor and there's some grassy hop notes.

M: The body is light with a moderate to high level of carbonation.

D: I guess there are more offensive beers out there, but that doesn't absolve this one. Still not something I'd look forward to again.

3.07/5  rDev +15%

Straw yellow apperance with minimal head that disappears quickly. Smell is sweet with a hint of corn, nothing significant though.

Taste is mostly of grain and corn with a hint of sweetness and vegetables. Suprisingly stronger flavor for this type of beer. Light bodied with moderate carbonation. Aftertaste has a lingering sweetness, but nothing significant.

Overall, a refreshing beer and a bit more flavorful then Corona. If your looking for a good summer beer that's lighter, this is worth a try.

3.55/5  rDev +33%

Sorry I love this beer, guilty pleasure yes. But let me tell you I have nothing but fond memories drinking 12 packs of this one the beach while living in Southern California when I was there the summer after my freshman year in college. I also discovered craft beer that way that most of us here know it but this beer is just good mass produced lager, it's not rotten like most mass produced Mexican swill. I even drink it ocasionally at my local Mexican restaurant called Puerta Vallarta. I even squeeze the lime and it tastes so good in bottle or frosted mug. Bottles there are 2 bucks, I just finished a 20 dollar bottle of Infinium. I'd rather drink ice cold Pacifico with Arroz con Pollo and Chile Relleno anyday. Even compared to other shitty beers, this is good tasting and enjoyable, so I'm offended that this is considered the bottom of the barrel. Yes it's fizzy yellow beer and it has corn and rice adjuncts but this one is a lesser of all evils for me. Flavor wise straight or with lime it has subtle sweetness no raw off flavors just a dynamic drinking experience that comes of both drinkable and enjoyable especially when paired with the right foods. Drinkability overall is great mouthfeel is light bodied mass produced thin fizzy lager that I really really like drinking.

2.24/5  rDev -16.1%

As a direct Corona wannabe, you get exactly what you would expect from this beer. Any time a lime is recommended with a beer, it is because the beer is skunky. This beer pours high head, has a way over watered down taste, the color is ultra light yellow, almost the color of urine, whuch would also be a good way to describe the taste. This beer should only be drank when lesser beers like MGD or Bud is all thats available.

2.4/5  rDev -10.1%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Straw yellow, about 1/2 of head that disappears very quickly to nothing with no lacing at all. Lots of carbonation.

A: Very sweet smelling, I'm getting corn and some other grainy notes.

T: Taste is very close to the smell, adjuncts up front cooked veggies, with a corny sweetness. Not much else

M: Light and watered down, pretty highly carbonated.

D: Well it is easy to drink, but way would you...

2.6/5  rDev -2.6%

While never having this Mexian Lager, I ordered this at Charros Mexican Restaurant and am regretting it...

Appearance - This was an average yellow lager with a finger of head but no lace left behind.

Smell - Horrible! Skunk smell, and the beer was before the "Best Before Date". Other than this, smelled like the normal Mexican lager than had been exposed to too much heat (skunk smell due to this probably)

Taste - Did not have any different taste then how a Corona or Tecate would taste with a Lime in it. I ended up having to put the lime in to make SOME type of flavor happen because I did not enjoy the Lager taste of this beer.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied beer of course with a water base and weak contribution to my taste buds.

Drinkability - I know that Corona's or Dos Equis are great with a lime and can be fun on "Mexican nights" but this beer absolutely sucked. Maybe be easy for some to drink but I just did not enjoy at all. Very watered down and didn't do much for me. Will stick with a Corona next time I'm in need for my Mexican beer satisfaction!

Pacífico from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.