Pacífico - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

PacíficoPacífico

poor

awful

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-02-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pacífico Alström Bros
3.8/5  rDev +42.3%

12 oz bottle enjoyed on a hot summer day. Poured into a 12oz mug.

A: Has your typical macro look, light golden yellow. Does have a nice big soapy head that turns into bubbly rings.

S: Sweet corn and grains, a touch of hops.

T: Pretty good, has some light hops and pale malt. This beer does have a sweetness to it and I don't know if it comes from the corn or a bit of citrus.

M: Good carbonation for the beverage considering this is supposed to be a refreshing beverage. Quite refreshing and has a bit of a creamy consistency (low end creamy).

D: Very. After all this is an American style Macro and it pulls it off well. Not only that, it is better than most macros. May not be the best beer in the world, but it does represent the style and I believe it sits pretty high with the style.

2.63/5  rDev -1.5%

I think I might be in the minority here. This is not a good beer as far as complex taste, depth or appeal. However, it has some malt flavor, slighly more than the average macro. And is doesn't have a strange dull flavor you often find in macro Mexican basic lagars. Overall, drinkable with spicey Mexican food.

2.73/5  rDev +2.2%

Wow-what a difference between Tecate and this-this beer is nearly white ( I am joking). Indeed it is light, very light yellow. Not overly carbonated-with a thin head. Smell none-with a taste that reminds me that not all mexican beers are alike-this beer doesn't have much taste-pretty bland actually-shame really.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp-with drinkability high-if you want to get hammered at the beach-otherwise stay clear of this beer there are much better Mexican beers out there-yes there are good Mexican beers to be had.

2.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Pale yellow with a fizzy white head that disappears like that of soda. Has that distinct aroma of pungent old adjunct malt, although it's pretty faint. Flavor is corny and grainy, with a finish like tap water. Extremely drinkable, but why would you want any more?

2.15/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured from 12-ounce brown bottle into Berkshire Brewing pint glass:

A: Poured a pale gold, straw color with no head retention and fierce carbonation.

S: Smells of sour, cooked vegetables, like zucchini or something, with some graininess.

T: Plain Jane macro malt with a solvent-like alcohol taste. Very thin hop character.

M: Mouthfeel is crisp and fizzy; not too pleasant.

D: Sessionable ABV, but who would want to do that. Has a little more street cred than Corona, that's about it.

This is only slightly better than Corona, IMO, and you'll still likely pay through the nose, so I'd stay away.

1.23/5  rDev -53.9%

Gross off flavors in the aroma. Almost smells like watered down moldy wort. Weak white head atop yellow soda. Malts and hops have a little bitterness and reming me of hay and corn. The body is light and has way too much carbonation. A lime would make this beer more drinkable. Not so good though.

2.5/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

a nice amber color to the brew nothing exceptional but very drinkable with no serious aftertaste even when accompanied by food. Overall I would rate it as decent even though it has no real standout qualities which I recorded or found worth writing down.

3.88/5  rDev +45.3%

My favorite Mexican macro and perfect for Cinco de Mayo. I hadn't had a Pacifico in awhile so I'm glad I finally get to rate one. Nothing spectacular, but with a fresh lime wedge, it went great with both my chips and salsa and also my steak and chicken fajitas. However, now I'm so full I almost had to be rolled home. Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

2.17/5  rDev -18.7%

the second in my series of mexican macros.

a: Light clear yellow body, looks like pee. Fluffy white head, decent retention.

s: I swear, I can't smell anything. Maybe some light corn-like aroma

t: Minimum. Some graininess, corn, slight sweet fruit flavor.

m: Light mouthfeel, borders on crisp, slightyl dry finish.

d: Well, its not offensive. Not much to it. Boring, but easy to drink.

4.28/5  rDev +60.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm sure glad I tried this before reading these reviews. I live in the Bahamas and with summer coming, this is a most wonderful brew to have around. It's light, rich mouthfeel is followed by sweet corn and a bit of ocean spray. This is my favorite Mexican beer so far and reminds me of the kind of brew the majors should be making. Put me on a boat, catching mahi, with a few of these in the cooler, heaven.

Bruce

3.2/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Its a pretty pale yellow, slightly darker than American swill, but you can clearly see all the carbonation. Not much smell to speak of, a little sweetness of corn but thats about it. Tasted slightly sweet, but mostly nondescript. The flavor is a tad bit richer than BMC macros. Lots of carbonation. Crisp and very drinkable.

If I find myself south of the border or at the local Mexican dive, I'll pick Pacifico over Corona for the fact that its less likely to be skunky. I don't see where all the dislike of this beer comes from. Sure its nothing spectacular, but a plenty alright way to wash down some salty Mexican food on a hot day.

2.45/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This is ok, clean, light, and crisp, but exceedingly bland.

It is pale, bubbly gold with a medium, but slightly fizzy white head that streadily dissipates to a thin ring.

The aroma is mostly light apple and alcohol with a hint of grain.

The taste is very light, mostly like hard apple cider but not sweet, fairly dry and very bland. It has only a faint hint of grain and lacks sweetness, bitterness, or body. There is a faint mineral character and it is rather watery. That said, it is not unpleasant in any way.

1.65/5  rDev -38.2%

12 ounce bottle into Falstaff goblet.

A: Pale straw with a big white head that dissapates down to near nothing but a collar.

S: Smells a lot like Corona. Metal grains and slight malt.

T: I know that people find it blasphemous to add lime but for God sakes this fucker needs it. Some salt too. Hugely metallic.

M: Not much there pretty watery.

D: I had on of these at Headliners at the Meat Puppets concert and I took it back and told them it was bad when really I just think its fucking bunk to begin with.

1.3/5  rDev -51.3%

A man walks into Mexican restaurant and asks for a beer. And here it is, Mexico's version of Bud. Thin and watery, the body consists of lots of large soda pop bubbles. Pale straw color and very clear. No head and, of course, no lace at all. The smell was similar: nothing notable other than light malt and adjuncts.

Bottom line: Flavorless lawn mower beer.

2.58/5  rDev -3.4%

A - Poured out a golden yellow color with a small, white, fizzy head. No lace.

S - It smelled of corn and grain adjuncts. Sweet smelling.

T - It was fairly sweet. It really just tasted like corn. Not really very bitter.

M - It was somewhat crisp and very light bodied.

D - It is drinkable and sessionable. I would rate it as one of the better beers to have at a Mexican eatery.

2.83/5  rDev +6%

Bought this at a Mexican restuarant.

Pours the typical yellow with some white head. Not much smell. The taste is a little better than an average macro. A little malt with a little hops. The rest is grain. Mouthfeel is not good. Overcarbonated. No aftertaste. All in all was OK to drink. Not noteworthy.

2.1/5  rDev -21.3%

How have I never reviewed Pacifico! For shame...

Pours a golden yellow. Small white head. Tastes like vegetable (people always say corn, but to me, it's just like some sort of vegetable mash puree that's been alcoholified). Some bitter tang in the aftertaste.

Avoidable swill, but not horrible.

2.33/5  rDev -12.7%

I personally like it better than Corona, but that isn't saying too much. It is light and some what refreshing. Obviously not a craft or quality brew, so I find it fine to serve way too cold with lime. Good with food, especially any sort of grilled fish. Nothing special, but good for a Mexican Macro.

2.7/5  rDev +1.1%

Medium gold, with a bit of quickly fading head. Smell is very mild and minimal with a touch of malt and yeast. Flavor is light, some malt with a touch of bitterness that fades quickly and finishes lightly sweet, and it is fairly highly carbonated. Refreshing, and probably my favorite Mexican beer. Not great, but drinkable and would be one of my top choices for a cheap pale lager perhaps.

1.83/5  rDev -31.5%

My choices were Corona (basically fizzwater, right?), Pacifico, and mexican water. Pacifico was probably the safest choice, since I knew what to expect from Corona or mexican water.

A: drank from bottle, so I have no idea. If taste is any indicator, I imagined a little darker color than Corona..
S: corn and malts. Nothing exciting.
T: corn. I think clean water would have been better; at least I would save some calories.
M: Not bad; it's not as thin as I expected from the smell, and the carbonation is pretty decent.
D: I would never pay money to drink this beer.

2.28/5  rDev -14.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass. pours a straw color, with a bit of amber mixed in. head is a few fingers, white and fluffed. crystal clear.

aroma is malty, with pale malts dominating, and a faint fruity character as well, possibly citrus.

taste is of definite pale malts, with the same fruity character, namely grape and a bit of apple. no floral character, which would be expected from a lager.

mouthfeel is light bodied, with a mild amount of CO2 and a smooth finish.

drinkability is decent. there is not anything here to warrent a second bottle, but nothing offensive for the palate either.

2.73/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I know it is December, so why am I drinking quintessential summer beers? They just sounded good today...I poured this beer into my session glass. It pours to be a fairly pale clear beer with little head that dissipates very quickly. On a side not the appearance is slightly darker than Corona, just because I am comparing these beers side by side. The nose is very faint some corn and some weird citrus notes. The taste is standard fare for this type of beer again with the strange citrus note. The mouthfeel is very carbonated especially when first opened, this beer want to burn your tongue. Like Corona, I gave this beer a higher score based on drinkability. This is another beer that just goes great with hot weather and the beach.

1.4/5  rDev -47.6%

Served at between fridge and cellar temperature *on purpose*... I really want to get this beer's full expression and potential. That being said, I've never tried this before.

Appearance- OK... I am not one to slam a beer, especially for no reason. But "pisswater" is the only thing I see right now before my eyes. It poured a clear pale yellow, the color of Rolling Rock, but the head was a complete joke! Bubbly and loud, it completely died not ten seconds later. I swear to God this looks like a urine sample.

Smell- There's a sweetish malt thing going on here, but the vegetal, cereal grain notes add nothing beneficial to round out the aroma. Maybe I'm taking this tasting too seriously...

Taste- All we've got here is cheap filler, the taste is of corn syrup and a cloying sweetness. *Maybe* on a blazing hot day, straight from the bottle, I could understand this disaster. Horribly menacing aftertaste... I have found Corona's playmate in the sandbox.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Prickly and active at first, this beer explodes on impact and then fades away in seconds. It's thin and uninteresting, the blandest of macro lagers... I would never hit this again.

2.78/5  rDev +4.1%

It had an average head that went away quickly. No lace. Yellowish in color, clear. Not much there in the scent department. Kind of Macro ish in its ways.

It really tastes like most every other Mexican beer I have had. Refreshing, crisp, but nothing that jumps out at you. It is dry and bitter.

It probably is as good or better than say a Corona. It has decent quality.

2.9/5  rDev +8.6%

A: A clear gold/yellow color with not much head and no lace.
S: Not much to note. Some hops and corn. Average for a Mexican lager.
T: Not bad. I use to drink this all the time, and still enjoy it from time to time. A good alternative to Corona.
D: Very drinkable. Smooth and not bitter at all. I can put several of these away pretty fast.

Nothing to write home about, but not bad. Made by the same company as Corona, but more flavor and body. I will grab one of these any time over Corona or some of the other generic Mexican lagers.

Pacífico from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.