Victoria - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

VictoriaVictoria

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Vienna Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-08-2002

4.75/5  rDev +56.3%

By far my favorite cerveza from Mexico. Not too watery, not to plain. Great flavor, easy drinking and smooth. Smells like a lager would but its not worth skipping. Viva La Mexico :) (187 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +56.3%

This is possibly the best tasting Lager made in Mexico that's available, but hard to find, in the U.S. I do not expect ale drinkers to ever give a favorable rating to a lager or pilsner. In the same respect, I will not rate a heavy, dark beer unless I like(d) it. Those of you who like the clean, refreshing flavor of PACIFICO ( Mexico ) will likely find that you'll love VICTORIA. UNLIKE CORONA... you don't have to throw a salad into it to realize its beauty! (469 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +48%

Mexican beers tend to be a little singular. But this one comes out of left field and is actually pretty good. Great flavor no corny/rice after taste found in most mexican beers. It isn't skunky, it's really decent. Good for a nice session and good at a BBQ a change of pace from coronas. (287 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +42.4%

very good drinking beer bought one for me and my father paid $25 bucks for both 40oz bottles, herd stories from the old folks about this beer when i was growing up they swore that beers today dont compare to the unpasturised beer that victoria is they said they could even drink this beer at room temperature which i came to find out is very true and ill stick with the old folks knowledge since they've been around longer than me so cheer this is mexicos bet keep secret. (472 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +38.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Rating from a SUPER FRESH 12oz Bottle [less then 3 weeks old]~ Maybe a lot of the rather low ratings for this Brew is Because it was past it's Prime/out of Date/......? That is the only reason [other than personal Taste of course] I could come up with,for such a wonderful Beer getting such shitty ratings,..
Pours a Beautiful almost Copper Color,and Looks very Inviting Indeed,..[you just cannot wait to dive in ] smells nice and Malty,faint sweet smell..almost like honey,and wow! a wiff of Hops? very Nice! this Beer Really does follow the nose,though it taste even better then it looks,right away a very nice Malty flavor hits you,with just a touch of sweet notes,followed by a rather surprising Hop flavor I was not expecting ~Awesome! and a Nice bit of prickly Carbonation Really makes this Brew a Perfect Choice for Quaffing down on a Hot and Humid summer Day,very,VERY Refreshing and Absolutely one of my new Favorite Mexican Brews~love it! (950 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +37.2%

Clear Glass

Poured 45 deg F

Tipped Glass small head 1/2 "

light spice

Great color

likes: very drinkable, not too strong, enjoyed the lingering finish of light hops.

Very good served with Tacos

I really think some of my beer bretheren should give this beer another try since it is finally available in the US, right now its only available in Chicago But hopefully it wll move its way to Los Angeles and Dallas (416 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I had been waiting for this beer to be imported to the states for a very long time. Best mexican beer out there. 100 times better than that bullshit Corona. Overall I think this is one of my favorite beers. I would recommend for everyone to atlas try this beer once. You will love it. No doubt about it. (303 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +32.9%

Nice amber lager. I have good luck with this beer. It has a nice aroma and a sweet and light hoppy taste. Great summer beer not heavy but has a bit of color and nice head. Being from Texas maybe we get fresher bottles. I am surprised about some of the weaker scores here. I have never found this beer to be flavorless or lacking carbonation. Maybe they should complain to their supplier. (387 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +28.9%

I think Victoria is a decent beer.

It pours a clear reddish-amber color; Almost no head and minimal lacing; Aroma is malty and fruity; Taste is clean and crisp; Mouthfeel is smooth and low carbonation. Easy drinking beer for those hot summer days.

¡Salud! (262 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +28%

What's up girlfriend....happy 40th! Yeah baby. So my Son's hockey team manager turns the big 4-0!!! YIKES! they have the Soirée at a N'ville saloon. On tap is Victoria....I said Hey man come down here...he said what you want....I said I want to try the Victoria! And I am glad I did! This beer is the best Mexican beer I have ever tasted. It doesn't have that Mexican I need a lime bullsh&t! There wasn't much aroma, but the taste and color were very good. Did I session....F yeah I did! (488 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +27.6%

Victoria has a clear, deep golden or even amber appearance, with some bubbles streaming up and a medium, white head. The aroma is of toasted barley malt and clean water, and the taste is also of barley. A light hop presence is in play for balancing. Also, one detects a pleasant sweetness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Victoria finishes crisp, refreshing, and mostly dry, although not as much as American beers. This is a low-alcohol, yet enjoyable Mexican beer. I certainly think it’s worth giving a try. RJT (517 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +26%

Appearance - Crystal clear light amber body. White head that vanishes instantly into a thin lace.

Smell - Slightly sweet corn smell. Almost a little bit of pinecone.

Taste - Tea. If it wasn't for the carbonation, I might not be able to seperate it from tea in a blind test. Light grassy, taste with a bit of hop. Miniscule sweetness, close but not exactly dry.

Mouthfeel - Slight carbonation. A little too watery for my taste, but perhaps that's the style.

Drinkability - Easy drinking. Not complex enough to stay interested, but beats the hell out of American Adjuncts. (576 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a tulip style glass. Little to no head retention. Look- a nice caramel to Amber in color, very nice looking as opposed to other Mexican beers. Smell- not too much aroma picked up from the beer but nothing off putting, so that's a plus. Taste- very mild and malty taste with a good amount of (pleasant) flavor despite it being a lighter alcohol and mass produced beer. Feel- very light with a slightly fizzy texture, a very smooth and refreshing beer. Overall- this beer despite being a massed produced beer is still very good for what it is, it's one of my favorite beers right now and would much rather drink this over many other massed produced beers. Reviewed without however recommended with a lime wedge. (735 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +25%

Poured from a 325 ml brown bottle into a pint glass.

Small off-white head doesn't last for long. Clear copper/orange in color. The smell kind of reminds me of a German marzen-bier. Caramel malts with a little bit of floral hops. Really good stuff. This is one of the best Mexican beers I've ever had. (301 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +24%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: rich golden hue with a very thin ivory head. Plenty of apparent effervescence but more head would help this beer immensely.

Smell: sweet malt aroma with hints of caramel. I rather like it.

Taste: sweet, caramelly, biscuity and nutty, but not overpowering in any of these areas. It's clean but complex; I really like it.

Mouthfeel: light body but a nice level of carbonation that adds to the refreshment capabilities of this brew.

Overall: I quite like this beer. A nice Mexican lager, for me it's right up there with Dos Equis Amber and Negra Modelo. (610 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Got a 6 pack of bottles of this on a trip to Texas. Drank straight from bottle.

What is to be said? I love Mexican beer - you can never go wrong, as I think they are a step above the macro-brews of the United States. The only downside to that is that they all seem to taste similar.

Not much of an aroma to this one, but nothing that is offending.

Taste has flavor, light hops, light malt, somewhat watery. A light corn aftertaste, not too bad.

This beer is nothing to run home about, but not that bad, something I could drink many of. (542 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +23.4%

Got a sixxer and the counter lady said I was the first she ever saw buy it. Worth the gamble so I went ahead and got it. I'm actually impressed with it. A lot better than the other Mexican beers.

A nice amber color and smells citrus and sweet which shocked me because most Beaner beers have to be soaked in lime and salt.

Good stuff and really not that expensive (365 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +21.4%

My sister always goes on vaction to Mexico and says this is her favorite beer. But they dont sell it in the states.

I collect 40oz bottles have about 150 in my collection, so when I saw this in a Mexican resturant I was happy to say the least.

I got my chance to drink this beer and add a new bottle to my collection.

Beer was smooth and pretty good for being on 4% alch, was suprised that it was dark in color.

Taste was like other Mexican beers, but I liked this more, due to it being "rare"

Only problem is the price I paid $15.00 for this 40oz bottle. They bring them over the board illegally so you have to pay extra.

If anyone has acess to any other Mexican 40oz please send me a message! (700 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance:
Amber color, clear. Lots of carbonation. Small frothy head.

Aroma:
Sweet grains, some toasted malts, a little caramel, faint bananas.

Taste/Finish/Body:
Sweet grains, grassy, toasted, a little caramel. Some hop bitterness toward the end. Finish is mostly dry, yet very crisp. Light bodied, crisp, refreshing, dry, fizzy.

Overall:
It's a good beer. (362 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Once again this is another one of those beers that quenches my thirst and keeps me coming back for more. Great tasting at a great price, 12 packs for $12! (154 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

(Editing note : This was reviewed as an AAL, not a Vienna Lager. As a Vienna it's a horrible representation.)

Spring cleaning day today. Time for a rest and an afternoon lager.

Appearance : Surprisingly darker than I thought it would be. It's got an amber-copper glow and about 10% opacity. The head is diminutive and almost non existent, but it does manage to leave a ring of lace around the glass.

Aroma : I'm starting to like this. The malts are toasted and rich, with an almost pecan-honey like sweetness to them. Some graham cracker, perhaps even a touch of marshmallow. There's no skunky corn or dirty grains, nothing like Corona or any of those other bottom shelf mexican swills. Extra points, this is practically decent.

Taste : The corn comes out a bit in the flavor, right at the tip of the tongue and towards the middle, with a harsh malty bite and a slap of skunk, but it dries beautifully with roasted malt and glazed pecan at the back of the throat. The more the beer is sampled, the more the corn and skunked barley show up.

Mouthfeel : Perhaps the most exciting part of this beer is the popping pop-rocks like carbonation. I don't want to use any negative connotations like prickly or stabbing, even though that's what it's like, but it fits perfectly for this beer.

Overall : A less-than-decent beer with a high grain bill and a low hop presence. The carbonation makes it drinkable but again, as a mexican beer the corny skunk does show up and rears its ugly horns. I'll pass next time, but this was a fun experience. (1,543 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +19.4%

I had this beer a while back when I was in mexico. We got it in stubby 1.0 Litre bottles and drank 'em straight so I can't say much about the colour although someone later told me it's a darkish gold/yellow.
This is a very basic beer with a bland lager taste (a lot like Sol in a way). It goes down nicely and doesn't leave much of an aftertaste. Although not very strong it yields a satisfying buzz (probably due to the fact that I drank about three litres of it). It's pretty cheap too so in summation I'll say it's a decent beer to get if you're low on cash standing undecided in front of the cooler at a Mexican 7/11 five minutes before midnight (when they stop selling alcohol). (685 characters)

3.61/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours amber to copper with a thin head that leaves dotted lacing.

The smell is of toasted grain with a subtle spicy touch.

The taste is of light toast. Overall - clean. The light malt body has a touch of hop spice in the dry, crisp finish.

While it does lean towards thin, the carbonation level fits the beer without being to fizzy. And there is a refreshing smoothness to it.

Not a bad brew at all. I like it. For what it is, it is an easy-drinking brew with enough character to keep drinking it. (501 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. It has a full taste - a bit malty - very bubbly. I would say it's my favorite Mexican beer that I've tried so far. (155 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A&S - Light amber with hardly any head, smells of some malt but thats about it, not picking up the sun tainted Corona aroma.

T&M - Crisp then flat, light body, again mostly malt, a little bitterness in the end, but definitely more malt flavor than other canned/bottled Mex brew.

O - Great beer, great with limon y sal, can't wait to try a michelada with this stuff.

Growing up i've always heard the stories of things here being better in Mexico, not the water of course, but mostly edibles like Coke, Shrimp Cocktails, and of course, Corona. We've all heard the stories of the clear Corona bottles, however in Mexico Corona is distributed in brown bottles, making the overall taste a little better. Sure its not PtY, but then again this is America, a place where all things merge together to form pieces of art, like Fusion Cuisine or Megan Fox, making our land a canvas for craft brewers. So when I saw the ads for this beer I was extremely happy. Sure I didn't see an amazing craft brew, but I saw a new standard of Cerveza in the states. Go try one for yourself and be sure to have a good time with a little Jugo de Sanchez mix, or some lemon and salt. No need to be a snob about Mejicos beer scene, they're not telling you to pour this in your snifter you know. However if its Mexican Craft Brew you seek, please look up Groupo Cucapa. Stay thirsty my friends. (1,367 characters)

Victoria from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.