Victoria - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

VictoriaVictoria

poor

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Vienna Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-08-2002

Ratings: 597 | Reviews: 172

Complete and Utter crap. Drink water instead.

Terrible. TerriBLAY. Typical macro, perhaps ever worse. Absolutely no taste. Might as well have been water. I drank 5 beers in one hour and didn't feel or taste a thing. What's the point? Taste? Nothing, almost like water. Smell? Nothing. Mouthfeel? Slight carbonation...SLIGHT. Overall, terrible f-ing beer. I'm glad I didn't pay for it...I'd probably rather take a BMC over this. This is the stuff I'm glad I avoided for so long. PASS.

1.19/5  rDev -59.1%

Very poor choice of beer for myself. The color was a simmered brown, taste was completely lacking, not hoppy, nor bitter, nothing - no head at all, light on the carbonation. I felt like I was drinking a beer that just had no heart or soul put into it. sad

1.33/5  rDev -54.3%

12 oz brown bottle.

It pours a mild amber with a whit head.

Smellss...bad, but has a smudge of hops and caramel.

Upon tasting the first thing that comes to mind is drinking fountian water. From and old school one, a bubbler, with rusty pipes and mexican sewage water running through it. Then i pondered for a bit and thought "maize".

This beer sucks.

1.56/5  rDev -46.4%

12oz bottle into SA perfect pint.

A: Pours a light caramel with a thin very short lived white head that quickly fizzed away into a thin collar. Carbonation looks extremely fizzy and active.
S: Light notes of cereal grains and a bit of honey-like synthetic sweetness.
T: Flavors of dirty grains and old tap lines. The synthetic sweetness is off-putting and nothing like the honey I thought I may have smelled on the nose. This tastes like dish water and old sour mashed grains.
M: Very fizzy soda-like carbonation with a light body. A weird film is left in my mouth after I swallow.
O: Not worth the calories. I would gladly drink a number of adjunct lagers over this one.

1.62/5  rDev -44.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

poured into a glass from the bottle... actually looks very promising a brown/amber color not much head or lacing though. Smell isn't really that pleasant or present not offensive just not much there... Same with taste, what little taste there is in this beer isn't that great... Glad I got this one as a sample and didn't pay for it. Wouldn't turn it down if someone handed one to me at a cookout but wouldn't ever buy it in the store...

1.67/5  rDev -42.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Pours an amber color with decent single finger head that's an egg shell color. I was surprised by the darkness in the cplot.
The smell... There isn't really a smell, it's some slight breadiness but that's about it.
The taste is even more muted then the smell, it's pretty much a very lightly flavored carbed water with some sweetness up front.
Overall I don't really enjoy this, it's mostly flavorless.

1.73/5  rDev -40.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a shaker pint.

A: Pours like vitamin-rich piss with a ugly, big bubble, oily head that dissipates quickly.

S: Skunky nastiness, three-day old corn and waterlogged rice.

T: Yup, that's about all there is to taste, too. Unpleasant adjuncts are only overwhelmed by the uber-skunky hop profile.

D: Mouthfeel is a little thicker than AAL usually are. Doesn't help; it just makes it feel slimy. The harsh flavours make this hard to finish.

Overall: I thought this would be slightly better than the usual AAL crap...not sure why I thought that. Its just as bad if not worse. Nasty stuff and if this is a Vienna lager, then I'm Santa Claus.

1.74/5  rDev -40.2%

Living in southern california, I like to think of myself as somewhat familiar with mexican beer.

This is honestly the worst one I have ever had. It is an extremely watered down macro lager. Calling this a vienna lager is a friggin insult to Vienna (not to mention LAGER), and I hereby officially apologize to any Viennese reading this.

Avoid this beer, I don't know how this could have possible earned a B-. I would drink a 6-pack of corona without the lime before I drank another one of these. It's that bad.

1.76/5  rDev -39.5%

Poured into a clear acrylic tumbler...no glassware to be found, but I don't think that will matter. Darker than I expected. Head almost absent, left a thin ring at the top of the brew that dropped with the level. No lacing whatsoever.

Aroma is there...just not good.

Taste is the same. Close to Corona, not a lot of flavor.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation, thin.

Overall, not a good beer for my tastes; almost a drain pour. Maybe a bad batch? Won't buy again.

1.84/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

I try to rate to style and this beer is no Vienna Lager.

1.88/5  rDev -35.4%

A: Pours a clear, very light amber color. A small head formed but lasted only a few seconds.

S: Not much on the aroma, a little off putting skunkiness and slightly metallic.

T: Not much going on here, slight malt/caramel presence, but barely. There just isn't much to this beer at all.

M/D: Extremely thin, some carbonation.

Super high carbonation makes this really crisp, but the body is more watery than water itself. This is a really thin beer. One of the worst Mexican beers I have had. If you want something in this style in Mexico grab a Bohemia or a Negra Modelo.

Pretty bland. Lacked flavor and aroma.

Standard Mexican lager. Light, malty , refreshing and empty.... Only for summer, only if you thirsty.

2.06/5  rDev -29.2%

Beer poured from 12oz bottle to a pilsner glass.

A - The beer pours a perfectly clear golden color with a very think head which quickly dissipated which little visible lacing.

S - Nothing really. No detectable aroma.

T/M - The beer is extremely think with mild carbonation. Similar to the aroma there is not much going on here. There is a slight sweet pilsner malt presence with a bit of corn but it is very mild. The beer seems over carbonated.

D - Meh

Overall, I was excited to try a new Mexican beer. I was not impressed with the Victoria at all. I found it to be extremely thin and over-carbonated which made it difficult to drink. Many other Mexican beers I'd reach for before another Victoria.

Reviewed on: 02-08-2011 17:35:35

2.17/5  rDev -25.4%

Tulip glass, a finger of head on a clear, medium straw colored body.
The aroma is metallic and light grain. Not great.
The taste is metallic with a touch of honey. Not great.
The texture is crisp with a bit of softness. Moderate carbonation.
I'm trying to figure out in what situation I would enjoy this beer...

2.25/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Purchased at a gas station in Flint MI. Served at 6deg C in a plastic cup

A- Opens well and pours a head that is gone as fast as it came. Clear and light gold.

S- Not much at all here.

T- Metallic and tinny. Like a horrible Corona experiment gone bad. Just bad overall

M- Terribly thin, light and carbonated.

O- Pure garbage. Wish I could have brought this back it was that bad. I poured over half down the sink.

Food Pairing

This one was so bad it made it to the sink so no food pairing on this one.

Sorry

2.25/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A: Golden amber brew topped by a white head. Short-lived head with decent head retention.
S: Slight caramel, fruity and sweet aromas are present.
T: Light malt, caramel and sweet flavors with a hint of citrus.
M: Slightly sweet but more flavorful than most Mexibeers. Smooth body.
O: A halfway decent Mexican brew.

2.29/5  rDev -21.3%

A: Pours a caramel color with decent amount of lacing. No carbonation can be seen.

S: Malts, herbs and some caramel. The malt smell is definitely there but there isn't anything else really there.

T: There is a tiny hint of a grassy/hop taste when the beer hits mid palate but it vanishes rather quickly. Has a very faint malty aftertaste but it's hardly there. Based on the smell of the beer I expected more malt flavor than what I got. This is just a really bland and flavorless beer.

M: Very light and super watery. It really feels like you're drinking carbonated water with a little bit of grass and a spoon of sugar. I guess the only good thing is that it makes you burp a lot.

O: The beer looks OK and it smells like there is malts in the beer, but when you taste it it's really bland and there's not much there to look at. For a Vienna Lager there are definitely better beers that you can find from Mexico. If you're looking for something similar I would suggest maybe Indio, Negra Modelo or Bohemia. Those have more flavor than this. Plus, I've seen these sell for about $26.99 for a 24 pack; an insane price for the quality that you get.

2.33/5  rDev -19.9%

Had on tap down in Old Town

A: Slightly reddish in color with a thin white head.

S: Ugh. Smells like urinal. Not really much here.

T: The taste is eerily similar to Corona and there's not a whole lot to like. Grain and a slight bit of lemon but nothing worthwhile.

2.33/5  rDev -19.9%

Definitely one of the better Mexican beers. This one actually has some tint to it. It is really easy to drink and tastes like a ricey-watery malt mix. I don't think it is as good as the Negra Modelo or Indio so at this point you may envision Victoria as a decent alternative to Corona with a little color..

2.35/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Leaves a whole lot to be asked for. Guess it's alright for a summer day

2.35/5  rDev -19.2%

from a bottle, into an imperial pint glass
A: bright clear burnished copper, with a decent head
S: corn, grain, sweet caramel malt...
T: like the nose with a few herbal hops. Not a great combination, and not really living up to the style.
M: fairly light, medium carbonation, lingering malt/corn finish that isn't too great, but an okay mouthful.
Overall: Not too good.

2.41/5  rDev -17.2%

Aroma: Very malty, surprisingly not very appealling.

Appearance: Brown, Copper color. Pours with a medium head. Very carbonated.

Flavor: Bitey carbonated taste Fair malty flavor.

Mouthfeel: Watery with heavy carbonation.

Overall: A Fair Lager, Better Mexican beers, wouldn't seek out again.

2.42/5  rDev -16.8%

I was in the new Weis Markets Bistro on Saturday and spied this as an excellent Cinco de Mayo beer.

My pour netted me a brief finger of fizzy, tawny head with lousy retention, acting more like pop and dissipating all too quickly. Color was a deep-amber (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a malty sweetness that made me think that it was other than an AAL. I will buy Vienna Lager, as indicated on this site, but it was not clean. I was also getting Minhas-like notes of bubble gum and dry cleaning plant. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the taste was oddly unique or should I say uniquely odd? It had a slightly medicinal quality underlying the utterly sweet malt flavor. It was sugary with a tang of hospital sterilization, if that can be quantified by anyone else. Warming, I was getting a kind of peanut taste. WTF?!? The finish was semi-sweet with the melange of off flavors getting the better of the malt, but not in any kind of good way. I have had far worse, and thanks to it being available as a single, it was a one-and-done, but this was no bueno.

Victoria from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.