Victoria - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

VictoriaVictoria

poor

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Vienna Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-08-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 550 | Reviews: 150

3.5/5  rDev +20.7%

3.45/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I always associate this beer with one of my favorite trips to Mexico. As I review, I don't lose sight of the style.

The appearance is a nice amber and a small bubbly head that dissipates very quickly but a small ring retains throughout. Deep pulls of the aroma reveal malty sweetness, honey perhaps. The flavor is not complex, as with other Vienna style lagers I've tried. It's low hoppiness is balanced by the lightly toasted malts. Very crisp mouthfeel but the medium body leaves behind some bittersweetness on the very back of the tongue. There is a hint of metal in the aftertaste, but it doesn't linger for long.

As with many Mexican lagers, this beer works just fine with a big spicy meal. I have been happy to see this in the states, if nothing else for its nostalgic value. Salúd!

3.75/5  rDev +29.3%

3.5/5  rDev +20.7%

3.25/5  rDev +12.1%

3.16/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

12 oz single from a store. BA seems to dislike lagers in general, so I'm thinking this really isn't all that bad. But who knows. Dark brown bottle on a Mexican import? Hm.

app- Darker than I expected. Tried to get head on a proper pour but nothing doing. What head did appear is white and dissipates quickly. It's a light amber color. Definitely not the yellow of a Corona. This is probably closer to a Negro Modelo. I really like the color on this. Crystal clear with lots of carbonation streaming up from the bottom.

sm- Not too much smell at all. I'm getting some sort of gentle malt. Alcohol. Just the slightest hop that gets lost in the yeasty grain smell. This isn't an adjunct, is it? Sometimes as a new drinker I come from a complex beer and try too hard to get multiple notes from what is a very basic one. I hope I'm not reading smells into this brew. It seems to be extremely simple. Pleasantly so.

tst- No, it's not. I get malt and hops. Like the blueprint of a beer in my pilsner glass. Neither of which make a strong presence here. The prevailing taste is the grainy water.

Mf- It's a mexican lager, therefore it's watery. As I don't like non-light beers that are watery, I don't think it's a great feel. But it's heavier than a corona. Good thing.

You can down a lot of these beers. And it's low alcohol, so you wouldn't even be in trouble. This is probably the idea. I haven't had a Corona or Dos Equis in a long time, so I wouldn't know if this is below or above the standard for this style. It's obviously what they're competing against, and I think they have taken steps to stand out from the crowd. Simplicity, a unique color, and quality ingredients make this something a large crowd can all enjoy. Not so for most other beers. Bravo, Mexico.

HULK

2.5/5  rDev -13.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Victoria from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.