Follow our progress ...

Negra Modelo | Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Negra ModeloNegra Modelo

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.
Mexico | website

Style: Vienna Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000

Reviews: 950 | Ratings: 3,162

Had to come back and update this one then decided to review. I pored this from a bottle into a tall New Glarus glass. Looks beautiful in the light, decent head, and smells delicious. Tastes even better. A now must have for my fridge. For me this is an instant favorite! I can drink it warm, cold, bottled or in a glass. It's simple, easy to drink and really tasty. This ones for anyone, if you get a chance try it.

Reviewed for the first time in a restaurante, when i began my career as a professional beer judge. Regarding to the characteristics:

A: Dark brown color with reddish hues at the backlight, good contrast with white foamy head, which is thin and compact but never disappears, acceptable lacing;

S: Clear roasted malt with nut and chocolate;

T: First warns the sweetness of roasted malt, producing chocolate, toffee and cookie, in the palate becomes bitter and appear the hops, creating notes of coffee and roasted chestnuts;

M: Refreshing, high bitterness, full body without begin robust, very good carbonation;

D: Outstanding appearance, smell, taste and mouthfeel, together with Corona Extra the best mexican beers, and adding guinness extra stout, st. peter's cream stout and moosehead lager, my five favorite beers of all time.

Now, this is my first review so bear with me until I get the hang of this. I was very pleasantly surprised with this one. We have an awesome Mexican restaurant in our town, and of course being a beer lover, I wanted a beer with my meal. I asked the server if they had any darker beers, and he suggested this one. It had a decent look to it, not the best I've ever seen but pretty respectable. It had a nice medium brown color, I guess kind of amber. It was a bit fizzy but not too much. I don't like a lot of fizz, but to each their own for those who do. The taste was great! Not too hoppy, which is good for me, and it had a good caramel taste that I thought was present. Taste-wise, I am sure there are much bolder flavored beers out there, but this one doesn't lack flavor and is all in all very good. Not what you'd call a heavier beer, but it has some substance to it. It is worth a try and I personally found I really enjoy it.

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I usually am pretty skeptical of mass produced beer like this but I thought this was exceptional and is now one of my favorite beers. It was smooth from start to finish no bitter finish or aftertaste. I has a beautiful dark caramel color that was very appealing. It was a very surprising and enjoyable experience.

4.94/5  rDev +47%

Having been away from beer for a long while I wanted to get back to drinking. I used to be a light beer drinker before so I wanted to try something new and by chance, and curiosity I ordered a negra modelo. ..wow! what a joy it was drinking that first bottle. When ever I can't find it I try other darks only to be left disappointed. Thanks to the Brewers of this fine beer I now have found my afternoon companion.

4.77/5  rDev +42%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The name might get you some looks...it ain't racist, yo...and it gets very little marketing...but this drank es Padrisimo! Don't drink the corona extras and puta madre cervecas...this and dos equis ambar are what you need. One time, Anahi, Belinda, AND Maria Elisa Camargo were all over deez nutz when I drank this. Buy it...today.

4.57/5  rDev +36%

Old favorite available at a Mexican restaurant near you.

A - Pours mahogany, 1 finger head, dissipates fast. Leaves little lacing.

S/T - Caramel, roasted toffee, and slight-minty hops.

M - Full-bodied, malt dominated, and is very smooth.

D - Fantastic. Could drink a six-pac on a hot day. Very underrated, underappreciated beer.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A dark brown almost see through appearance with a slightly spiced bread smell. The flavor is light and watery,sweet bread like with a hint of hops at the end. This is an extremely drinkable beer that goes down very smooth. I hit the jackpot today with the past 2 I've tried. Next time your at a Mexican restaurant you've got to hope they have it to gulp down with your food or just start pounding them and wait for the mariochy band. The only thing I didn't like was the foil on the cap if you can look past that you might give it an A+ but I can't so a rock solid A it is.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This beer has it all: tastiness, low to moderate mouthfeel, gorgeous rich dark appearance, fresh smell. It’s wonderfully crafted and great all around. I’m a fan. When the fridge gets low or runs out it’s never long before I restock the Negra.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

From the bottle in a glass. Pours a reddish-brown with a nice head that lasts. Smells of roasted nuts and chocolate. Tastes sweet and then bitter in a good balance like the aroma. Full bodied feel and slightly bitter going down. Overall my go-to beer in a Mexican restaurant.

4.47/5  rDev +33%

Awesome. It reminds me of somewhat of newcastle brown ale. This stuff is an instant favorite. A lot of dark beers have a bad after taste to me but this one does not at all. If you like dark beers this one is a must have. I also liked the shape of the bottle, shorter and wider than normal.

4.45/5  rDev +32.4%

I ordered this in a restaurant and was not expecting much. I figured it would be another Corona-like Mexican beer. The other choices the restaurant had were unappealing (Bud, Coors), so I gave it a show.

I am very glad I tried it. I really enjoyed this beer.

A: No faults, looks to be a dark amber.

S: Sweet smells dominate

T: Lots of fruit-forward malts that make the initial taste sweet, but with just enough bitter to offer balance.

M: Actually has more body to it than I thought it would. Nice balanced body.

D: Very, very drinkable. Can fill the role of delicious hot day beer and also has enough body to match with many meals.

Overall: Very pleasantly surprised at how good this beer was.

4.43/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Negra Modelo Brewed by Creveceria Modelo Nava Mexico, Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. Now Negra Modelo is an Vienna Lager with an ABV of 5.70% This brew pours out a nice brown color with a nice small off white head. This brew has the look of root beer. Now I’m not saying that is a bad thing. The smell of Negra Modelo rich with roasted grains, malts , and hops. There is also a nice sweetness to the smell of this brew. The smell of this brew is really inviting. Now for the taste, it is bold with flavors. You pick up on a smooth sweetness of roasted grains and malts. There is a lot going on in Negra Modelo. Negra Modelo has a real nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering about this brew. You really can’t pick up on the 5.70% Abv in this brew it is just that smooth. The mouthfeel of Negra Modelo is rich, bold, clean, smooth and refreshing . Overall I’m giving Negra Modelo a 4.50 out of 5. I would buy this brew again. Creveceria Modelo Nava Mexico, did a nice job with this one.

4.4/5  rDev +31%

Appearance: Dark amber with hues of red. Beautiful thick off white head.

Smell: Malt aromas. no noticable hop aroma. very pleasant smelling beer

Taste: My first beer had little carbonation as I poured too much of a head so the bitterness due to dissolved carbon dioxide was too low. This balance was achieved in my later beers poured correctly. This is one of my favorite beers, as it is light enough to drink many off but also has enough flavor to not be a macro.

Mouthfeel: Not light, not medium. Medium light

Drinkability: one of my favorites. I could drink this over and over.

4.4/5  rDev +31%

Although not much of a head on this one the smell that arose from the brisk pour told me that there was going to be some sweetness to this one.

The smell didn't lie sweet bready although smooth like a lager should be. Fairly thin body but it makes it all the more session able.
Great one to accompany food.

I'm a fan.

4.38/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My only complaint on this beer is that I wish it had a bigger nose. It's a little subtle but still a wonderful scent. This beer has great malt character and a smooth, easily approachable lager mouthfeel. Not too carbonated and very thirst-quenching. The robust dark malts are not as pronounced as a schwarzbier from Germany. The hops on this beer are not as Euro-bitter as other Munich Dunkels out there. Sweet carmel amber malts and clean finish make this beer delicious. Mexico's best in the U.S.

4.35/5  rDev +29.5%

A beautiful brown brew with nice clarity and big topping of lightly tan colored foam that leaves a fair bit of lacing. Nice sweet light aroma or smell.

The taste is light and crisp with a malty caramel sweetness that follows. A "perfect Vienna lager." Don't be afraid of the lime. Just another variation so to speak.

Goes down smooth, baby.

A wonderful dark lager for a nice day like today. World class. Love it all to hell. Complements good summer jazz like Weather Report - Heavy Weather. Classic.

4.35/5  rDev +29.5%

I really like this beer considering it's price and that it is available almost anywhere. It has a nice brown coloring ,really malty smooth flavor with no bitter aftertaste. A little thicker consistency than average. My go to beer if no other darks on sale

4.35/5  rDev +29.5%

Been craving one of these bad boys for a while. Even on a cold day, this is really refreshing.

Drank one at a Mexican Restaurant to accompany my Fajitas, could not have made a better choice.

Bottle came with a slice of lime, which I quickly discarded. Didn't want to alter the flavor in any way.

Cold, smooth, no unexpected tastes. Refreshing

4.32/5  rDev +28.6%

I was very impressed the first time I tried Negra Modelo. It is hard to find a beer in the Supermarket that I can always rely on. Goes awesome with a nice meal, watching sports (for me Futbol), or any leisure activity. Smells good, mouthfeel is on point. The taste is great...not real strong, but has a nice potency to it. Overall a beer I can turn to if I need to find a quick dark beer.

4.31/5  rDev +28.3%

probably my favorite dark beer, next to newcastle of course. first time i had it i was in detroit and my boss bought it, and i thought it looked cheap because of the stupid tin foil on the top of the bottle, and i had never heard of it. so he let me try one of his and it tasted just like it smelled DELICIOUS! about a week later i had to pick some of it up it was that good.

4.3/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark colour, but a little clear. Although it has a good name in MExico, the truth it is sometimes mistaken between a Vienna and a Dark lager. I think it is both, but it is considered a strong beer here. That means that the efforts won't be further, not because of the brewery, but because of the consumers.

4.27/5  rDev +27.1%

The bottle is very cool looking, like something from the 60s.

The beer pours a deep bronze with red glints. The aroma is roundly malty with complex roast and caramel notions. Hops are there but in the background. The taste is malty and roasty. Theres caramel sweetness thats balanced by bitterness from hops and the dark malts. A slight astringency emerges in the finish and migles with the malt sugars. This beer gets sweeter as it warms.
The mouthfeel is surprisingly thick for a lager, very creamy.

By far the best beer I had on my trip to Mexico (which sadly isnt saying much). I cant believe the same people that make Corona make something this good. I highly recommend it.

4.27/5  rDev +27.1%

This brew poured a nice honey brown color with a half inch head. Light lacing on the glass, carbonation visible on the sides.

Aroma had caramel as the most detectable of the sweet malts, and a little grapefruit hop aroma as well. Other than the grapefruit, reminded me briefly of a light maple syrup.

Malty flavor comes through; caramel with a good grapefruit bitterness to finish it off.

Good mouthfeel, the sweetness hangs around on the palate a little bit; may make it a bit too sweet after a while.

This brew is easy to chug. All in all, it's one of my favorite Mexican beers along with Bohemia. Good flavor with no off-putting taste although it does get a bit sweet after having about 4 or 5 in a night (or more for that matter).

As a side note, I cook a lot with this beer too. Good for adding flavor and tenderizing meat when you don't want a heavy porter flavor lingering on your food.

4.25/5  rDev +26.5%

Pours dark brown/black with some red hues. Brown head. Smells caramelly. It actually has a bit of a smell next to lots of beers i've had which are just 'eh' there. Taste is chocolately and caramelly. It's not terribly bitter or hostile. Mouthfeel is between a porter and a stout to me. There's not much of a bite like porters. Drinkability - II found this to be very easy to throw back but it's still worth savoring. It's great on a cool night I've found.

I think this would make a great beer for fussy people to like. Course I hate starting someone on something like this especially if they're going to be philistines about it or that's the only beer they'll like which would be odd.

Negra Modelo from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.