1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Negra Modelo - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Negra ModeloNegra Modelo

good

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website

Vienna Lager |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Negra Modelo Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,128 | Reviews: 861 | Show All Ratings:
roddwolff

Mexico

Reviewed for the first time in a restaurante, when i began my career as a professional beer judge. Regarding to the characteristics:

A: Dark brown color with reddish hues at the backlight, good contrast with white foamy head, which is thin and compact but never disappears, acceptable lacing;

S: Clear roasted malt with nut and chocolate;

T: First warns the sweetness of roasted malt, producing chocolate, toffee and cookie, in the palate becomes bitter and appear the hops, creating notes of coffee and roasted chestnuts;

M: Refreshing, high bitterness, full body without begin robust, very good carbonation;

D: Outstanding appearance, smell, taste and mouthfeel, together with Corona Extra the best mexican beers, and adding guinness extra stout, st. peter's cream stout and moosehead lager, my five favorite beers of all time.

12-05-2009 21:12:46 | More by roddwolff
Ian1980

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I usually am pretty skeptical of mass produced beer like this but I thought this was exceptional and is now one of my favorite beers. It was smooth from start to finish no bitter finish or aftertaste. I has a beautiful dark caramel color that was very appealing. It was a very surprising and enjoyable experience.

07-11-2012 17:11:33 | More by Ian1980
tyleeis

Wisconsin

Had to come back and update this one then decided to review. I pored this from a bottle into a tall New Glarus glass. Looks beautiful in the light, decent head, and smells delicious. Tastes even better. A now must have for my fridge. For me this is an instant favorite! I can drink it warm, cold, bottled or in a glass. It's simple, easy to drink and really tasty. This ones for anyone, if you get a chance try it.

09-27-2012 00:58:32 | More by tyleeis
MisterClean

4.58/5  rDev +36.7%

Old favorite available at a Mexican restaurant near you.

A - Pours mahogany, 1 finger head, dissipates fast. Leaves little lacing.

S/T - Caramel, roasted toffee, and slight-minty hops.

M - Full-bodied, malt dominated, and is very smooth.

D - Fantastic. Could drink a six-pac on a hot day. Very underrated, underappreciated beer.

03-21-2009 01:26:06 | More by MisterClean
Surefire

4.47/5  rDev +33.4%

I ordered this in a restaurant and was not expecting much. I figured it would be another Corona-like Mexican beer. The other choices the restaurant had were unappealing (Bud, Coors), so I gave it a show.

I am very glad I tried it. I really enjoyed this beer.

A: No faults, looks to be a dark amber.

S: Sweet smells dominate

T: Lots of fruit-forward malts that make the initial taste sweet, but with just enough bitter to offer balance.

M: Actually has more body to it than I thought it would. Nice balanced body.

D: Very, very drinkable. Can fill the role of delicious hot day beer and also has enough body to match with many meals.

Overall: Very pleasantly surprised at how good this beer was.

02-15-2008 23:59:53 | More by Surefire
zachsmith

4.43/5  rDev +32.2%

Although not much of a head on this one the smell that arose from the brisk pour told me that there was going to be some sweetness to this one.

The smell didn't lie sweet bready although smooth like a lager should be. Fairly thin body but it makes it all the more session able.
Great one to accompany food.

I'm a fan.

11-26-2011 04:09:58 | More by zachsmith
Nathanharris1990

4.43/5  rDev +32.2%

Awesome. It reminds me of somewhat of newcastle brown ale. This stuff is an instant favorite. A lot of dark beers have a bad after taste to me but this one does not at all. If you like dark beers this one is a must have. I also liked the shape of the bottle, shorter and wider than normal.

09-30-2012 01:46:49 | More by Nathanharris1990
TSJ4000

Iowa

4.4/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My only complaint on this beer is that I wish it had a bigger nose. It's a little subtle but still a wonderful scent. This beer has great malt character and a smooth, easily approachable lager mouthfeel. Not too carbonated and very thirst-quenching. The robust dark malts are not as pronounced as a schwarzbier from Germany. The hops on this beer are not as Euro-bitter as other Munich Dunkels out there. Sweet carmel amber malts and clean finish make this beer delicious. Mexico's best in the U.S.

05-30-2012 15:41:53 | More by TSJ4000
Squelch

United Kingdom (England)

4.38/5  rDev +30.7%

Appearance: Dark amber with hues of red. Beautiful thick off white head.

Smell: Malt aromas. no noticable hop aroma. very pleasant smelling beer

Taste: My first beer had little carbonation as I poured too much of a head so the bitterness due to dissolved carbon dioxide was too low. This balance was achieved in my later beers poured correctly. This is one of my favorite beers, as it is light enough to drink many off but also has enough flavor to not be a macro.

Mouthfeel: Not light, not medium. Medium light

Drinkability: one of my favorites. I could drink this over and over.

06-01-2008 01:52:59 | More by Squelch
BoSox5902

4.38/5  rDev +30.7%

probably my favorite dark beer, next to newcastle of course. first time i had it i was in detroit and my boss bought it, and i thought it looked cheap because of the stupid tin foil on the top of the bottle, and i had never heard of it. so he let me try one of his and it tasted just like it smelled DELICIOUS! about a week later i had to pick some of it up it was that good.

08-12-2008 04:03:28 | More by BoSox5902
omar

4.38/5  rDev +30.7%

Been craving one of these bad boys for a while. Even on a cold day, this is really refreshing.

Drank one at a Mexican Restaurant to accompany my Fajitas, could not have made a better choice.

Bottle came with a slice of lime, which I quickly discarded. Didn't want to alter the flavor in any way.

Cold, smooth, no unexpected tastes. Refreshing

12-24-2011 05:45:22 | More by omar
frankiepop

4.38/5  rDev +30.7%

A beautiful brown brew with nice clarity and big topping of lightly tan colored foam that leaves a fair bit of lacing. Nice sweet light aroma or smell.

The taste is light and crisp with a malty caramel sweetness that follows. A "perfect Vienna lager." Don't be afraid of the lime. Just another variation so to speak.

Goes down smooth, baby.

A wonderful dark lager for a nice day like today. World class. Love it all to hell. Complements good summer jazz like Weather Report - Heavy Weather. Classic.

01-31-2012 02:58:56 | More by frankiepop
ToddL

4.38/5  rDev +30.7%

I really like this beer considering it's price and that it is available almost anywhere. It has a nice brown coloring ,really malty smooth flavor with no bitter aftertaste. A little thicker consistency than average. My go to beer if no other darks on sale

11-21-2012 17:26:27 | More by ToddL
Redfoot19

4.33/5  rDev +29.3%

I was very impressed the first time I tried Negra Modelo. It is hard to find a beer in the Supermarket that I can always rely on. Goes awesome with a nice meal, watching sports (for me Futbol), or any leisure activity. Smells good, mouthfeel is on point. The taste is great...not real strong, but has a nice potency to it. Overall a beer I can turn to if I need to find a quick dark beer.

06-20-2011 02:56:14 | More by Redfoot19
davexisxrabid

4.3/5  rDev +28.4%

This brew poured a nice honey brown color with a half inch head. Light lacing on the glass, carbonation visible on the sides.

Aroma had caramel as the most detectable of the sweet malts, and a little grapefruit hop aroma as well. Other than the grapefruit, reminded me briefly of a light maple syrup.

Malty flavor comes through; caramel with a good grapefruit bitterness to finish it off.

Good mouthfeel, the sweetness hangs around on the palate a little bit; may make it a bit too sweet after a while.

This brew is easy to chug. All in all, it's one of my favorite Mexican beers along with Bohemia. Good flavor with no off-putting taste although it does get a bit sweet after having about 4 or 5 in a night (or more for that matter).

As a side note, I cook a lot with this beer too. Good for adding flavor and tenderizing meat when you don't want a heavy porter flavor lingering on your food.

04-06-2009 18:01:33 | More by davexisxrabid
nekronos

4.28/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark colour, but a little clear. Although it has a good name in MExico, the truth it is sometimes mistaken between a Vienna and a Dark lager. I think it is both, but it is considered a strong beer here. That means that the efforts won't be further, not because of the brewery, but because of the consumers.

09-14-2005 15:37:55 | More by nekronos
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

4.25/5  rDev +26.9%

The bottle is very cool looking, like something from the 60s.

The beer pours a deep bronze with red glints. The aroma is roundly malty with complex roast and caramel notions. Hops are there but in the background. The taste is malty and roasty. Theres caramel sweetness thats balanced by bitterness from hops and the dark malts. A slight astringency emerges in the finish and migles with the malt sugars. This beer gets sweeter as it warms.
The mouthfeel is surprisingly thick for a lager, very creamy.

By far the best beer I had on my trip to Mexico (which sadly isnt saying much). I cant believe the same people that make Corona make something this good. I highly recommend it.

01-08-2006 20:31:27 | More by CAMRAhardliner
CaskofFlyingDog

Tennessee

4.25/5  rDev +26.9%

Pours dark brown/black with some red hues. Brown head. Smells caramelly. It actually has a bit of a smell next to lots of beers i've had which are just 'eh' there. Taste is chocolately and caramelly. It's not terribly bitter or hostile. Mouthfeel is between a porter and a stout to me. There's not much of a bite like porters. Drinkability - II found this to be very easy to throw back but it's still worth savoring. It's great on a cool night I've found.

I think this would make a great beer for fussy people to like. Course I hate starting someone on something like this especially if they're going to be philistines about it or that's the only beer they'll like which would be odd.

02-06-2006 09:16:24 | More by CaskofFlyingDog
rlyinsrd

4.25/5  rDev +26.9%

Mexican beer should only be compared to mexican beer. When a country's water has the reputation that Mexico's has, one shouldn't expect the beer that's produced there to be on the same level as other beers from around the world. That being said, this is my Mexican food beer. Have one while waiting for the food to be ready and have one with the meal. It is best this way. Not a sitting around drinking beer. The tongue needs a break way to often. Have a few in the frig. for dinner or get it at the restraunt.

04-05-2010 19:40:59 | More by rlyinsrd
DaftCaskBC

British Columbia (Canada)

4.25/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Brown liquid with excellent clarity with 1/4" creamy head.

S: Clean yeast, sweet rich malt, citrusy hops.

T: Rich malty backbone with toffee, sweet bread, honey, and citrus.

M: Medium to thick. Crisp and clean finish.

O: This beer is one of my first loves due to the decoction mashing and the corresponding rich malty backbone. Its a shame that too often it comes stale.

08-25-2013 22:08:49 | More by DaftCaskBC
johnnipe

4.23/5  rDev +26.3%

Asked for an Ale in a Mexican Restaurant and received a bottle of Negra Modelo. Had tried Dos Equis and Corona - ugh, so was expecting another also-ran. Quite a surprise! Currently, I keep some on hand, since I drink in such moderation that a 6 pack lasts a month sometimes, but when I want an Ale, I always have one on hand.

12-10-2012 19:11:13 | More by johnnipe
DFN

Arizona

4.22/5  rDev +26%

This is one of my "regular" beers; one that I buy more often than almost any other. It's not the best beer I've ever tasted, but it's the best one I can find on a regular basis that costs in the $7/sixpack range. I generally favor dark beers, not too bitter, and Negra Modelo fills the bill reliably. I would describe the taste as clean and slightly rich, and it goes down easily. If you like dark beers, you won't go wrong with this one!

09-26-2004 03:02:25 | More by DFN
DogFood11

4.22/5  rDev +26%

Hell Yes this is worth a try and then some. I've passed this up for years as I've had nothing but bad experience with mexican breweries but this one jacks up the standard.

Poured into a pounder glass it forms a nice one finger head that is inspired and held true for a minute or two. Deep copper to brown in color. No lacing to speak of.

I got a nutty/earthy taste up front and a hopped twinge in the middle that whacks it back into place. Sweet but light malts cover the mass of this brew. Light mouthfeel for a dark beer which adds to its drinkability and it doesn't lack in taste. I wish they would publish the Abv as its important to some folks. It tastes like its a standard 5% or thereabouts.

notes: Easily sessionable, nice flavor, this could be a nice transition beer for the girls or pussies.

10-02-2005 20:54:03 | More by DogFood11
A38Fitness

4.22/5  rDev +26%

Lately I have been drinking a lot of different beers. For the last few years I've been eyeing this beer down. The other night I said, WTF, i'll try it. I grabbed just one out of a six pack. Dam, I wish I would have bought a 12 pack. What a great beer! Pours great with a decent head though, not as nice a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat Ale...;-) However, if you are looking to try a new beer definitely add this one to your list. You'll love it..:)

05-21-2006 00:13:49 | More by A38Fitness
LXIXME

New Mexico

4.21/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Medium to large off white to maybe light tan head settles to a nice lacing above a clear bright copper amber colored beer.

Light caramel to almost chocolate malts with some different things coming through, spices, nutmeg, not sure but they're there but very light.

Light maybe caramel maybe chocolate malts mix well to give this beer a definite flavor but not in any particular direction, and then I added a slice of lime and this beer seemed to explode with flavors but again in no particular direction, light malts, light hops, light citrus fruits and lime.

Easy drinking beer with a lighter taste that brings a variety of light tastes but really you should throw a slice of lime in the mix and it becomes, to me, the best mass market Mexican beer out there.

11-10-2013 22:29:57 | More by LXIXME
Negra Modelo from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.