1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Negra Modelo - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Negra ModeloNegra Modelo

good

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website

Vienna Lager |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Negra Modelo Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,129 | Reviews: 861 | Show All Ratings:
omar

4.38/5  rDev +30.7%

Been craving one of these bad boys for a while. Even on a cold day, this is really refreshing.

Drank one at a Mexican Restaurant to accompany my Fajitas, could not have made a better choice.

Bottle came with a slice of lime, which I quickly discarded. Didn't want to alter the flavor in any way.

Cold, smooth, no unexpected tastes. Refreshing

12-24-2011 05:45:22 | More by omar
frankiepop

4.38/5  rDev +30.7%

A beautiful brown brew with nice clarity and big topping of lightly tan colored foam that leaves a fair bit of lacing. Nice sweet light aroma or smell.

The taste is light and crisp with a malty caramel sweetness that follows. A "perfect Vienna lager." Don't be afraid of the lime. Just another variation so to speak.

Goes down smooth, baby.

A wonderful dark lager for a nice day like today. World class. Love it all to hell. Complements good summer jazz like Weather Report - Heavy Weather. Classic.

01-31-2012 02:58:56 | More by frankiepop
ToddL

4.38/5  rDev +30.7%

I really like this beer considering it's price and that it is available almost anywhere. It has a nice brown coloring ,really malty smooth flavor with no bitter aftertaste. A little thicker consistency than average. My go to beer if no other darks on sale

11-21-2012 17:26:27 | More by ToddL
Redfoot19

4.33/5  rDev +29.3%

I was very impressed the first time I tried Negra Modelo. It is hard to find a beer in the Supermarket that I can always rely on. Goes awesome with a nice meal, watching sports (for me Futbol), or any leisure activity. Smells good, mouthfeel is on point. The taste is great...not real strong, but has a nice potency to it. Overall a beer I can turn to if I need to find a quick dark beer.

06-20-2011 02:56:14 | More by Redfoot19
davexisxrabid

4.3/5  rDev +28.4%

This brew poured a nice honey brown color with a half inch head. Light lacing on the glass, carbonation visible on the sides.

Aroma had caramel as the most detectable of the sweet malts, and a little grapefruit hop aroma as well. Other than the grapefruit, reminded me briefly of a light maple syrup.

Malty flavor comes through; caramel with a good grapefruit bitterness to finish it off.

Good mouthfeel, the sweetness hangs around on the palate a little bit; may make it a bit too sweet after a while.

This brew is easy to chug. All in all, it's one of my favorite Mexican beers along with Bohemia. Good flavor with no off-putting taste although it does get a bit sweet after having about 4 or 5 in a night (or more for that matter).

As a side note, I cook a lot with this beer too. Good for adding flavor and tenderizing meat when you don't want a heavy porter flavor lingering on your food.

04-06-2009 18:01:33 | More by davexisxrabid
nekronos

4.28/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark colour, but a little clear. Although it has a good name in MExico, the truth it is sometimes mistaken between a Vienna and a Dark lager. I think it is both, but it is considered a strong beer here. That means that the efforts won't be further, not because of the brewery, but because of the consumers.

09-14-2005 15:37:55 | More by nekronos
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

4.25/5  rDev +26.9%

The bottle is very cool looking, like something from the 60s.

The beer pours a deep bronze with red glints. The aroma is roundly malty with complex roast and caramel notions. Hops are there but in the background. The taste is malty and roasty. Theres caramel sweetness thats balanced by bitterness from hops and the dark malts. A slight astringency emerges in the finish and migles with the malt sugars. This beer gets sweeter as it warms.
The mouthfeel is surprisingly thick for a lager, very creamy.

By far the best beer I had on my trip to Mexico (which sadly isnt saying much). I cant believe the same people that make Corona make something this good. I highly recommend it.

01-08-2006 20:31:27 | More by CAMRAhardliner
CaskofFlyingDog

Tennessee

4.25/5  rDev +26.9%

Pours dark brown/black with some red hues. Brown head. Smells caramelly. It actually has a bit of a smell next to lots of beers i've had which are just 'eh' there. Taste is chocolately and caramelly. It's not terribly bitter or hostile. Mouthfeel is between a porter and a stout to me. There's not much of a bite like porters. Drinkability - II found this to be very easy to throw back but it's still worth savoring. It's great on a cool night I've found.

I think this would make a great beer for fussy people to like. Course I hate starting someone on something like this especially if they're going to be philistines about it or that's the only beer they'll like which would be odd.

02-06-2006 09:16:24 | More by CaskofFlyingDog
rlyinsrd

4.25/5  rDev +26.9%

Mexican beer should only be compared to mexican beer. When a country's water has the reputation that Mexico's has, one shouldn't expect the beer that's produced there to be on the same level as other beers from around the world. That being said, this is my Mexican food beer. Have one while waiting for the food to be ready and have one with the meal. It is best this way. Not a sitting around drinking beer. The tongue needs a break way to often. Have a few in the frig. for dinner or get it at the restraunt.

04-05-2010 19:40:59 | More by rlyinsrd
DaftCaskBC

British Columbia (Canada)

4.25/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Brown liquid with excellent clarity with 1/4" creamy head.

S: Clean yeast, sweet rich malt, citrusy hops.

T: Rich malty backbone with toffee, sweet bread, honey, and citrus.

M: Medium to thick. Crisp and clean finish.

O: This beer is one of my first loves due to the decoction mashing and the corresponding rich malty backbone. Its a shame that too often it comes stale.

08-25-2013 22:08:49 | More by DaftCaskBC
johnnipe

4.23/5  rDev +26.3%

Asked for an Ale in a Mexican Restaurant and received a bottle of Negra Modelo. Had tried Dos Equis and Corona - ugh, so was expecting another also-ran. Quite a surprise! Currently, I keep some on hand, since I drink in such moderation that a 6 pack lasts a month sometimes, but when I want an Ale, I always have one on hand.

12-10-2012 19:11:13 | More by johnnipe
DFN

Arizona

4.22/5  rDev +26%

This is one of my "regular" beers; one that I buy more often than almost any other. It's not the best beer I've ever tasted, but it's the best one I can find on a regular basis that costs in the $7/sixpack range. I generally favor dark beers, not too bitter, and Negra Modelo fills the bill reliably. I would describe the taste as clean and slightly rich, and it goes down easily. If you like dark beers, you won't go wrong with this one!

09-26-2004 03:02:25 | More by DFN
DogFood11

4.22/5  rDev +26%

Hell Yes this is worth a try and then some. I've passed this up for years as I've had nothing but bad experience with mexican breweries but this one jacks up the standard.

Poured into a pounder glass it forms a nice one finger head that is inspired and held true for a minute or two. Deep copper to brown in color. No lacing to speak of.

I got a nutty/earthy taste up front and a hopped twinge in the middle that whacks it back into place. Sweet but light malts cover the mass of this brew. Light mouthfeel for a dark beer which adds to its drinkability and it doesn't lack in taste. I wish they would publish the Abv as its important to some folks. It tastes like its a standard 5% or thereabouts.

notes: Easily sessionable, nice flavor, this could be a nice transition beer for the girls or pussies.

10-02-2005 20:54:03 | More by DogFood11
A38Fitness

4.22/5  rDev +26%

Lately I have been drinking a lot of different beers. For the last few years I've been eyeing this beer down. The other night I said, WTF, i'll try it. I grabbed just one out of a six pack. Dam, I wish I would have bought a 12 pack. What a great beer! Pours great with a decent head though, not as nice a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat Ale...;-) However, if you are looking to try a new beer definitely add this one to your list. You'll love it..:)

05-21-2006 00:13:49 | More by A38Fitness
LXIXME

New Mexico

4.21/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Medium to large off white to maybe light tan head settles to a nice lacing above a clear bright copper amber colored beer.

Light caramel to almost chocolate malts with some different things coming through, spices, nutmeg, not sure but they're there but very light.

Light maybe caramel maybe chocolate malts mix well to give this beer a definite flavor but not in any particular direction, and then I added a slice of lime and this beer seemed to explode with flavors but again in no particular direction, light malts, light hops, light citrus fruits and lime.

Easy drinking beer with a lighter taste that brings a variety of light tastes but really you should throw a slice of lime in the mix and it becomes, to me, the best mass market Mexican beer out there.

11-10-2013 22:29:57 | More by LXIXME
KodyBrannon

4.2/5  rDev +25.4%

A nice beer that pours a dark amber color, but little to no head. The caramel scent out of the pour excites your senses into anticipation. the first taste comes off a little bit malty, but the more you drink, the more caramel flavors hit your palate. The mouthfeel is good with just enough carbonation. All in all, this is a very quality beer to come out of mexico. I would drink this agian. I would also recomend this beer to anyone who wants to try it.

08-28-2007 19:01:56 | More by KodyBrannon
K7M

Mississippi

4.2/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is an old favorite of mine. A good dark Beer that you can drink all day at the beach if you so desire, a good session Beer.

This beer is available in many places, I was able to find it throughout Colombia while there fortunately as all of the Colombian Beers were pretty weak.

I really enjoy this Beer and the fact that is is readily available causes it to magically appear in the refridgerator frequently. This is a good Beer for cookouts and Kayaking.

02-15-2009 02:09:01 | More by K7M
MeMyselfNAles7

Puerto Rico

4.2/5  rDev +25.4%

Best brew hands down from the grupo modelo. Sadly since I live in PR all that we get from them is the coronas.

Poured in a pint and has a rich dark amber color that pretty much resembles the color of the bottle with a medium white crown. Little carbonation. Medium body. Fairly good on the nose with roasted dark malts, faint touches of hopps. Nice maltiness at the beggining finishing in a dry hoppy aftertaste.

10-11-2010 22:13:46 | More by MeMyselfNAles7
kerry4porters

Arizona

4.2/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Negra modelo is without a doubt my favorite Mexican Beer. Similar to Kilt lifter in look and feel its one of the few Mexican beers I've tried that i dont have to have a taco in my hand to enjoy. I thoroughly enjoy it and recommend it to all my friends when we go out for Mexican food.

Serving type: nitro-tap

09-17-2013 20:49:03 | More by kerry4porters
BobJustBob

New Mexico

4.18/5  rDev +24.8%

Poured from a bottle into a 16 oz dimpled mug.
After sampling IPA's through most of the day, I decided to throw back one of these.
A Decent, but short-lived off beige head is the first noticeable thing about Negra Modelo. Color of the brew is an agreeable dark reddish amber. Not unlike Newcastle Brown.
The aroma is near non existent for me, but I can smell some of the Beer's inherent sweetness.
The taste is mildly sweet and a little nutty. I detect the faintest hint of Hops, but this one is all about the Malt and from that standpoint it's dandy. A bit of yeastiness lingers between sips, but isn't unpleasant.
Mouthfeel is super creamy and coats the inside of my mouth the same way a cup of steaming hot chocolate does.
This one benefits from serving at 40 F, the same way that many darker Beers do. It brings out the deeper flavor of the roasted malt.
One thing worth noting, that has nothing to do with the Beer itself, but in some weird way adds to the enjoyment of it, is the unusual almost "Eames-ish" bottle design. I've always been a fan of interesting packaging and Modelo or whoever crafted this interesting shape should get a spot at a museum for modern art.
All in all, a very solid contender and one worth trying.

05-06-2010 02:24:35 | More by BobJustBob
jasonjlewis

4.15/5  rDev +23.9%

A great dark beer. I recommend with any mexican cuisine. Please PLEASE PLEASE do not put a lime in this beer, it is fine without it. This beer says dark ale, but it doesn't have tha ale lingering aftertaste to it. I highly recommend this beer when dining out at a mexican restaurant.

04-26-2006 23:19:21 | More by jasonjlewis
dsa7783

4.15/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Single, twelve ounce bottle copped from Sparrow Wine and Liquors in Hoboken...
An aggressive pour resulted in a tawny, ruby-red, dark amber hue with a minimal head and very little lacing...
A fresh, caramel, malty aroma replete with figs, prunes, and a hint of vanilla cream...
Taste was rendolent of dark, candied sugars, with a strong malt backbone and a hint of honey mollasses...
Medium to light bodied mouthfeel, extremely easy level of drinkability with a sweet finish...
Great stuff...
Recommended...

06-30-2008 11:30:55 | More by dsa7783
RBorsato

4.13/5  rDev +23.3%

Light tawny brown color with a nice beige head and very nice carbonation. Moderate non-descript dark malt aromas. Nice grainy dark flavors a la a light dunkel... Light-medium bodied and a very nice Mexican choice.

Much better than the typical Mexican pale lagers... The only Mexican beer besides Dos Equies that I'd get at a Mexican restaraunt.

11-14-2005 19:22:16 | More by RBorsato
DirtyGoat

4.13/5  rDev +23.3%

This is a very good beer. The only beer I will drink in Mexico. It tastes sweet and leaves your mouth with no unpleasent after-taste. It has a mellow amount of carbonation. This beer is always my first pick over the other dark beers that you would find at your local supermarket.

03-20-2006 00:38:09 | More by DirtyGoat
dbtoe

Wisconsin

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass
I really like this beer a lot. I will always get this when I see it at a restaurant. One of my favorite beers.
Look is light to dark brown. Not much of a head at all.
Smell is mostly mild sweet malt.
Taste is all malts. Sweet and very mild roasted flavors.
Feel pretty creamy and thick for a lager.
Drink I could drink these anytime.

09-24-2010 14:12:06 | More by dbtoe
Negra Modelo from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.