Negra Modelo - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Negra ModeloNegra Modelo

good

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Negra Modelo Alström Bros
Reviews: 910 | Hads: 2,919
1.18/5  rDev -65.1%

Had this beer yesterday out of the bottle and got a chance to try it on tap at a local mexican restruant. I dont know if they got a bad keg or something, but the differance between on-tap and out of the bottle is huge. God awful beer, smelled like burnt rubber, had a huge lack of carbonation...completly flat. No head to speak of, and the beer even tasted slightly warm. Ill be checking back to see if anyone else had the same expierance.

Good beer out of the bottle though. (476 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -52.7%

I bought a 12 pack when I couldn't find any other dark beers at a local super market. I've had Negra Modelo before and thought it was OK. Not great, but better than the many no taste beers out there. Worth buying in a pinch (or when in a supermarket...).

As I was drinking one of the beers, I felt something go into my mouth that shouldn't be there, I immediately spit the beer back into the bottle and pored it out on my plate. I felt that I had swallowed some of whatever it was and wanted to see if I got any of it back in the bottle.

It was fly larvae. Almost fully formed. I put the larvae in a baggie and kept the bottle. the next morning the baggie was buzzing with a newly hatched fly. Disgusting.

I will never, ever drink this filthy beer again and can only imaging how filthy the bottling plant must be to allow live fly larvae in a bottle. I was then, and still am, grossed out every time I take a drink from a bottle.

If I could give this disgusting beer a negative rating, I would. (999 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -51.8%

Mass-produced dark beer? Sure, I'll try it......once. I have to say I love the strange-shaped bottle with foil. Very different. Too bad the stuff inside tastes like beer soda.

Appearance is light brown (only "dark" in comparison with most other commercial lagers) with a small, quickly receding head. The bubbles are way too big in size to be at all natural (as my understanding goes)

Smell is very sweet malt. Taste is annoying sweet malt that is only covered up a bit by the hops (I think I taste Saaz). The feel is a little sticky with rough carbonation. I think people give it higher marks just because it isn't a yellow pilsener, but I would easily prefer a budweiser. (679 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -50.6%

12 oz. brown bottle with an annoying gold foil that would not un-wrap for anything! > 16 oz. SA glass

Pours out a solid, clear amber color with what seems to be plenty of carbonation for the task of supporting this overly active white-foam head that has moderate retention and leaves plenty of foam left over.

The aroma is a thin, syruppy malt, earthy whea and corn scent and a tangy, herbal yeast.

The flavor is od butter-toffee malt, cream of corn and wild grains, tangy and bitter wheat....uh, oh...there's that very unpleasant metallic flavor! and it only gets worse. It's really not to bad at first then it just gets bad. The bitter-metallic flavor lingers on and on. 'nuff said.

Light bodied, crispy at first and then it just becomes life-less and thin feeling. The carbonation bite goes away really quick.

Sorry, but this was a drain pour. (859 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -50.3%

Poured a very light see through brown color. Didn't have much of a nose on it, maybe a bit of coffee. The taste reminded me of cold watered down coffee. Mouthfeel was light with not much body at all. I actually refused to finish this in the restaurant. This is the first beer I've ever sent back and I won't be trying this again. (329 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -43.8%

its not the best beer it has a sour taste and i always notice people spit after they drink it at the clubs. I would prefere a pabts blue ribbion or a micky instead of this. it taste ok when lime is added but other then that it has a bull flavor. If anything i would consider this as a last minute beer. (302 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -42.6%

This beer is bullshit. It's better than Dos Equis, but jesus christ. Family of mine drink this and consider it good, so I thought it was worth a try...I was wrong. This and Dos Equis are enough to make me avoid Mexican beer like the plague. I love Mexican tequilas, mezcals, pretty much anything Mexican, but what the fuck is up with their beers?! It's got a weird taste; bitter but with no pungency. It tastes kind of like dirty pool water with alcohol and carbonation in it. I want to like it for convenience's sake, but my god. I have rarely been this disappointed by a beer. Fuck this; don't purchase. (605 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -42%

Appearance
Toffee brown; hard to pour head that levels out quickly; good amount of carbonation; translucent

Smell
Bready/yeasty; a little sour; surprisingly not sweet for it's color; not much there at all

Taste & Mouthfeel
Body is overly carbonated and thin all the way through; there's just a hint of beer flavor at first, but then it's swept away by the carbonation, leaving the ultra thin back end to eliminate any flavorful aftertaste. There's just a hint of caramel sweetness in there, but it tastes like club soda with a dash of Coke and generic beer. I remember this having more character before, so this is pretty surprising how dull it is. The finish is crisp and clean, though I'd like some lingering flavor.

Overall
It's about the lightest tasting darker colored beer I've ever sampled. It's by no means a dark beer and definitely not worth the near $2 I paid for the bottle. (890 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -42%

Reviewed 2/25/2006 (12oz bottle):

Pours a dark red-brown colored body, with a good sized head, that's slightly off-white, and lasting. Has a Malty aroma. A very malty taste, and has a slightly fizzy palate, but is slightly watery. Has a malty aftertaste. (255 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

Best by: dunno

Pours dark ruby brown with some weak etched light cream foam. Smells like cheap beer - wheat and grain, some soily yeast and a little bit of sweet malt. Tastes like a brown ale that wherein the yeast was over-taxed and has a real bad ester profile with sweet vanilla and butter flavors. Some nutty character. LIght bodied with hi carb and a semi dry finish. Not something I plan to revisit. (406 characters)

Bottle: Poured a clear light brown color beer with a medium bubbly head with minimal retention. Aroma of weak malt is quite boring. Taste of light adjunct base malt with a watery finish. I guess this is better then Corona but still very boring overall. Maybe I would have enjoyed it better sitting on a beach under the sun. (323 characters)

On-Tap @ Azteca Everett...

Came out a piss pour yellow/no head or lacing. huge lime wedge on the edge of the glass.

Not much smell to this. taste is much the same a splash of grain/malt. I squeezed in the lime halfway in... it didnt help things.

Overall a very generic tasting/boring beer. (292 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -39.1%

Poured into a pint.

Excellent clarity, a bright reddened amber color. Through a terribly rough pour - rougher than I poured my Nitro Milk Stout (in which the bottle tells you to pour roughly, straight down) - I get barely any head, which recedes immediately. Miniscule flecks of lace dot the glass.

Smells skunky. There's certainly some caramel/amber malt thrown in there, but it's likely more for color than flavor.

Tastes skunked too, despite the brown bottle. Minor sweetness, stale bread crusts, apparent alcohol flavor.

Crisp, with high carbonation. Sticky with a lingering bitter/skunky aftertaste.

Overall this is one of the better Mexican lagers, but still nothing to write home about. This is unfortunately much better with a lime. (745 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -38.2%

Negra Modelo Dark is a red/brown with a generous beige head that quickly fades. There is no appreciable aroma. Unfortunately, the tongue follows the nose and there is no taste either. It's like drinking water, but at least with water, you may get a mineral taste. After it warms for a while, finally a little blah sweetness. That's it. Feel is light bodied with little carbonation, again, watery. There is insufficient taste to be considered drinkable.

Negra is a very weak, bland beer. Not worth ever trying again. (517 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -35.5%

Served with a meal at Abuela's mexican resturaunt in KC. Had to request a non-frosted glass. Poured into a pint glass. I discarded the lime wedged onto the rim. Dark clear amber color. Hardly any head, no lace. Slight musty malt smell. Taste is salty with a touch of citrus. Light watery mouthfeel. Overall, my impression is, eh. I think I prefer Dos Equis Dark when eating Mexican food. (387 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -35.5%

Pours a dark red-brown colour with reasonable off-white head that's slightly too fizzy, and sinks quickly to leave a film of light foam. Lacing when tilted is decent but nothing special. Otherwise flat. Pretty boring.

Nose is a fairly sour affair with large chunks of burnt character, very chemical - actually smells quite like lacquer - slight vinous edge, but ultimately fairly thin in fragrance, not much character and not very good.

Taste is fairly bad, a lot of sticky adjuncty character, sweet corn with a sickly syrupy mouthfeel, a big hit of methyl alcohol on the very front of the palate, not because it's heavy but because there's just no other flavour to hide behind. Bread yeast character on the finish, not much bitterness or hoppiness, not fresh, not nice.

Oh! I'm so disappointed with this, I thought maybe, just maybe, Mexicans could brew a dark beer with more character than their pale shit. But no, I'm not enjoying this. Not undrinkable, but not pleasant. (977 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

On-tap at Jose’s Blue Sombrero in Waukesha , WI. This pours a brownish amber color with a light beige head. Since it was served with a lime wedge, that’s all I can smell. Texture is light and thin, a very mild taste of grain. Like most Mexican beers, thin and watery. (271 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -34.6%

A: Pours a clear dark reddish brown color. A two finger white head forms, but recedes in an instant. Not much lace to speak of.
S: Pale malts. Cooked corn. Grain, cereal, and metal. There is almost nothing in the nose.
T: Follows the nose. Grain, cereal, and metal. Some adjunct corn flavor. I really can't make much out.
M/D: Light as can be and way over carbonated. Very seltzer like. Easy enough to drink if it were not for the heavy prickly carbonation.

I had this at a good Mexican place. Usually I enjoy beers like this with Tex-Mex. Though this pretty much had no body for a "dark beer." Hardly any flavor or aromatic character either. I will avoid this from now on and drink Bohemia instead. (700 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -34.6%

This beer has a real nice looking bottle and gold label that looks like a quality beer. Unfortunately it does not taste like one.

The head is weak and goes away after the first few sips. The color is nice ,just a standard dark amber.

What I really notice here is the lack of body, just seems to wisp away just like the head does. Slightly bitter aftertaste, but drinkable.

This is a beer that's trying to be both a lighter Mexican beer like Corona as well as a dark crafted beer at the same time, but instead comes out as a wispy lack of confidence. Disappointed in this beer, and the price paid. (599 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -33.4%

This beer looked very much like a glass of coca cola when poured into my mug, almost no head at all and tons of carbonation bubbles running through it.

Smell was a very minimal sweet corn scent.

Taste was a very subdued bit of sweet corn maltiness with basically no hop prescence at all.

Mouthfeel was slick and watery with lots of carbonation.

I will defenitly skip this one the next time, not the most drinkable beer. (431 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -33.1%

Poured a transluscent medium brown color, with a short lasting light tan head. Smell was kind of skunky, malty, and i felt like i was even smelling alcohol. I guess at 6%, i may have been, now that I think about it. Taste was sort of alcohol-ish, bland medium caramel maltiness, and very mexican beer tasting... Not that good but drinkable, still. (347 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -32%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The bottle says Dark Ale, it's classified as a Vienna Lager, I don't know what the hell it is so I'm putting the 12oz bottle in a pint glass.

Crystal clear dark brown color with ruby highlights. A thin light tan head fizzes to a thin cap.

Not much of anything as far as aromas go. Maybe a little bit of caramel (from the long wort boil) and some alcohol.

Very light toasty malts and a little bit of molasses. Watery mouthfeel from a thin body and medium carbonation. The finish is dry, with a little bit of sugary caramel.

I don't know what is going on with this beer. It's unimpressive in ever category with very little flavor. Not recommended. I would rather drink an American Macro Lager, which any example of an AML actually seems to have more flavor than this. (778 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -31.7%

Pours a dark caramel color and has a 1 1/2 finger head that fades rather quickly. The smell is a that of a sweet malty beer. Has a distinct but not harsh bite that fades quickly with each swallow. The hops are noticeable but quickly disappear. I searched the flavor with each swallow but it's gone so quickly the only thing I get out of it is a mild musty sweetness that lingers. I can't tell much else about it. It goes down nicely although it doesn't leave you desiring more, you just don't care. Not bad, but definetely not great. Perhaps a decent Mexican import, but lacks alot in comparison to most imports. (620 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -28.7%

Served at fridge temperature in a traditional German stange.

Appearance- A light tawny hue, this beer offers up a three-finger bone white head that laces gradually down the inside of the glass.

Smell- A sweetish malt aroma, showcasing toffee and caramel, peeks through what seems like a nose of grains and adjuncts. For the style, it falls short of exploring the malt and hop potential that a Dunkel could exhibit.

Taste- The dominant flavor is a vegetal, cloying sweetness that prohibits the nuances of any malt or hop character.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- The texture is easy and appealing, rolling gently behind the beer's rather unpleasant palate. I wouldn't come back to this beer again in the future, I'll leave the Munich style lagers to their mother country who do them so well. (789 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -28.1%

Negra Modelo pours a medium brown color w/ a fairly thin cocoa head. Almost zero carbonation or lacing on this brew. Smell is that of weak malt, caramel, and metal. Very watered down nose on this one. Taste is the same. It's not offensive, it's just not very good. Metallic aftertaste for sure. Decent beer when you're choosing between Corona and Dos Equis, but not in real world situations. Used to be my go to beer w/ Mexican food, but now I usually stick to something w/ a little more taste. Not recommended. (511 characters)

Negra Modelo from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.