Negra Modelo - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Negra ModeloNegra Modelo

good

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,794 | Reviews: 916

1.08/5  rDev -67.6%

1.18/5  rDev -64.6%

Had this beer yesterday out of the bottle and got a chance to try it on tap at a local mexican restruant. I dont know if they got a bad keg or something, but the differance between on-tap and out of the bottle is huge. God awful beer, smelled like burnt rubber, had a huge lack of carbonation...completly flat. No head to speak of, and the beer even tasted slightly warm. Ill be checking back to see if anyone else had the same expierance.

Good beer out of the bottle though.

1.2/5  rDev -64%

1.25/5  rDev -62.5%

1.25/5  rDev -62.5%

1.3/5  rDev -61%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Are there ANY good Mexican beers?

1.56/5  rDev -53.2%

1.6/5  rDev -52%

I bought a 12 pack when I couldn't find any other dark beers at a local super market. I've had Negra Modelo before and thought it was OK. Not great, but better than the many no taste beers out there. Worth buying in a pinch (or when in a supermarket...).

As I was drinking one of the beers, I felt something go into my mouth that shouldn't be there, I immediately spit the beer back into the bottle and pored it out on my plate. I felt that I had swallowed some of whatever it was and wanted to see if I got any of it back in the bottle.

It was fly larvae. Almost fully formed. I put the larvae in a baggie and kept the bottle. the next morning the baggie was buzzing with a newly hatched fly. Disgusting.

I will never, ever drink this filthy beer again and can only imaging how filthy the bottling plant must be to allow live fly larvae in a bottle. I was then, and still am, grossed out every time I take a drink from a bottle.

If I could give this disgusting beer a negative rating, I would.

1.63/5  rDev -51.1%

Mass-produced dark beer? Sure, I'll try it......once. I have to say I love the strange-shaped bottle with foil. Very different. Too bad the stuff inside tastes like beer soda.

Appearance is light brown (only "dark" in comparison with most other commercial lagers) with a small, quickly receding head. The bubbles are way too big in size to be at all natural (as my understanding goes)

Smell is very sweet malt. Taste is annoying sweet malt that is only covered up a bit by the hops (I think I taste Saaz). The feel is a little sticky with rough carbonation. I think people give it higher marks just because it isn't a yellow pilsener, but I would easily prefer a budweiser.

1.67/5  rDev -49.8%

12 oz. brown bottle with an annoying gold foil that would not un-wrap for anything! > 16 oz. SA glass

Pours out a solid, clear amber color with what seems to be plenty of carbonation for the task of supporting this overly active white-foam head that has moderate retention and leaves plenty of foam left over.

The aroma is a thin, syruppy malt, earthy whea and corn scent and a tangy, herbal yeast.

The flavor is od butter-toffee malt, cream of corn and wild grains, tangy and bitter wheat....uh, oh...there's that very unpleasant metallic flavor! and it only gets worse. It's really not to bad at first then it just gets bad. The bitter-metallic flavor lingers on and on. 'nuff said.

Light bodied, crispy at first and then it just becomes life-less and thin feeling. The carbonation bite goes away really quick.

Sorry, but this was a drain pour.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Negra Modelo from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.