Negra Modelo - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Negra ModeloNegra Modelo

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Negra Modelo Alström Bros
Reviews: 927 | Hads: 3,010
2.45/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Had 3 pints of the stuff last week at a Mexican restaurant in Austin and 1 12 ounce bottle as I write this. Don't understand the reviews that talk about a "good head" or "white bubbly head" because neither the drafts at the restaurant or my bottle tonight (poured into a Spigelau stemmed Pilsner glass, in case you're wondering) had any head on them at all. If you want a bland, flat, dark beer, this is for you. I will go elsewhere.

2.46/5  rDev -26.8%

BB 14/10/2006, served lightly chilled in a 330ml broad-rimmed weizen glass.

A: lightly-infused black-tea to tawny colour with russet hints; the moderately frothy off-white beer head slowly settles down, forming a rimmed foam on top of a gently-carbonated body.
S: caramely sweetness plays a considerable part at the front, but not as OTT as I anticipated--not bad; a flow of lemony hops and apple-ish fruity hints quietly join the main theme at the back, leaving a malt-grist like chewy and rough malty note going deep in the background. Not quite aromatic overall.
T: a slightly metallic taste accompanies a rather neutral flavour of caramel maltiness that has but a malty gloss without a necessary body to be a firm platform; the palate picks up at the back a mild tinge of bitter roast tea-leaves and burned sugar, with a slightly dryish grassy touch. But by no means can there be said of a considerable aftertaste, which is weird for this style I reckon?
M&D: light and loose in body and overly mild (next to bland) in flavour, only the clean and softly-fizzy mouthfeel (normal for a lager) prevents it from being a total failure. Easty-drinking for a 5.3%abv. beer? Yes. An impressive example of Vienna Lager? Negative! For this beer style, this is easily the least impressive to me so far, for its lack of body AND flavour... It really needs more, and/or better, ingredients to juice it up. "Semi-disappointing", given my high expectation~~

2.49/5  rDev -25.9%

Rarely will I expend the moolah to pick up an overpriced 6-er of imported Caribbean or Mexican lager, as it usually ends in tears. This wasn't the case either, it just so happened to be on special, and I thought what the heck...

I'm sure everyone comments on the bottle, and I like 'em too. In fact they're not twist-offs, so whether this is good or bad stuff, I just picked me up some unique bottles for the homebrew. Pours out a decent looking dark lager, deep transparent chestnut, with a thin head of white-ish foam that doesn't retain very long.

The aroma, however, immediately reminds me of Miller Genuine Draft. It's not a fond memory either... Rough grains on the nose, a bit chemical and abrasive.

The flavour manages to pull up its socks a bit after that, yet it is still faint and thin. At least some sweet malt comes out to replace the rough grains on the nose, but I almost feel that it was sent out on purpose to do a soft-shoe routine to keep one occupied and unaware of what is really going on in the background. Or perhaps the lack of action in the background as well.

The flavour may be thin, but at least the mouthfeel has some backbone to it, average with a slight creamy texture.

Overall it's pretty bland, although with some decent merits as well. For what I paid for it I don't feel ripped off (for once!), but it was also a one time deal for me, there's nothing going on here to bring me back for more. And those empty bottles will be filled with something more tasty some time soon.

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a brownish color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Medium body. Slightly drinkable, would not buy again.

2.52/5  rDev -25%

Spritzy Corona with caramel coloring added. As Vienna Lagers go, this is a real disappointment, though I do admit it was highly drinkable. It looked like I poured a can of Coke in the glass, a lot of carbonation. Very mild smell of... beer. Nothing to write home about. Taste was mostly bubbles, very watery, with a mild roasted malt flavor. Sadly, this was disappointing; but not unexpected, given the "sister" brews from Modelo. Would I grab for one at a Mexican restaurant--especially outside on the deck in the sunshine? Yes. But I'd never buy this to drink at home. So many better Vienna Lager-style beers to try (one from Boston Beer Co. being a good start). It was Cinco de Mayo... and I was in "Rome" so I did as all the other "Romans" in the Mexican restaurant and enjoyed a real Mexican beer. Viva la Cerveza!

2.52/5  rDev -25%

Poured to a small head that faded pretty fast. Not much lacing to brag about. Light brown in color. Smelled very light. With hints of malt and caramel. Not a heck of a lot of taste going on here. Slightly sweet with malt. Felt very thin in the mouth. Carbonation I thought was okay. I like to try new beer as everyone does, but so far im not a big fan of Mexican beers. Maybe its the water. I dont think I would make this a session beer.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Clear amber-brown; a little fizzy off-white head, poor retention, but initially leaves a hint of lace.

S: Tart, grainy aroma; a little caramel and cheap, domestic hops (foral & earthy).

T: Grainy astrigency (over sparged to cut cost?); some caramel that seems to come from crystal malt rather than Vienna-roasted grain. It has the malt colour, but the taste just isn't right. The hops have a nice, subtle spicyness (the hop flavour is certainly better than the aroma). Crisp bitterness (perhaps a little much for the style).

M: Light to moderate body seems thin, but a little syrupy, like it's not all-together. Carbonation is moderately high & prickly.

D: A Vienna should be more drinkable than this.

I prefer the Dos Equis, but a Sam Adam's is even more of a step up from this.

look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

From carrefour. In Duvel glass. Playing KB Dark Side. Little body and aroma, not deep black. No trace of the coffee and-or dark chocolat typical of other black beers. Easy to drink, with little alcoholic effect.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer isn't terrible if you find yourself in a pinch.

The beer pours thinly into my trusty Sam Adams glass

The smell is a little sour with no hint of chocolate or hops

the taste follows suit, being thin, a little sour and lite

The mouthfeel is ok, not horrible

If it's this or krap go with this!

2.54/5  rDev -24.4%

Comes in a short, squat bottle. Pretentious gold foil covers a disappointingly blank bottlecap.

Pours a burnt caramel into a pint glass with a thin head which immediately disappears, leaving no lacing to speak of.

Aroma of yeast, malt, suggestions of grapes, ginger. Reminds me of a wine cooler.

Mouthfeel seems a little slick to me with medium carbonation. A little chewy.

The aroma is deceiving. Taste is of yeast, bitter hops, and... alcohol fumes. Odd since this is not a high alcohol content beer. I do not find the fruity sweetness presented in the aroma anywhere in the taste of this brew, which surprises me. Finishes with a distinct alcoholic flavor, and the tiniest bit of hop bitterness. I am not inclined to try this again.

2.56/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Out of the tap, this beer had a wodernful tan, thick head of two fingers and a clear amber color. Likewise, the lacing made the beer look inviting. Now things turned for the worse. The head and lace dissipated into nothing after a few minutes.

This sample had a powerful metallic smell. Behind the off smell was a slight aroma of malt and hops.

As with the aroma, the beer had a strong metallic taste. After fighting my way past the off flavor I discovered the sweet flavor of malt and medium hop aftertase. I also think the flavor is thin.

Due to the above, the mouthfeel and drinkability were lacking.

I tried this beer at a Mexican restaurant and I wish I had a marguerita. Perhaps the keg was old or the tap lines are dirty as other BA appear to like this beer.

2.58/5  rDev -23.2%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a brown body that is transparent with a big carbonation of large bubbles and a thin wisp of foam in the middle.

S- There is an aroma of pale malt with a hint of pot caramel and a faint noble hop finish. The smell is very light overall.

T- The taste of light crisp pale malt has a note of pot caramel or slightly toasted malt with a neutral taste. The finish has a light bitterness and a soft carbonic bite.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel that was a touch watery in the finish.

D- This beer was very light and flavorless with a dark body. Not to interesting.

2.58/5  rDev -23.2%

Solid brown body with a little bit of room left for some lighter amber highlights. Capped by a light white head that faded all too quickly.

Aroma is lightly sweet with faint hints of caramel over a toasted grain presence and a light touch of hops. As a whole this aroma comes and goes and is rather underwhelming.

Munich Dunkel? Well certainly there are hints of dunkel in this beer with a light caramel sweetness but the overriding grainy flavor and faint metallic notes give this a cheap lager taste. Hops are faint without providing much in the way of bitterness or flavor.

Mouthfeel is thin, light and bubbly. Overall, rating this beer as a Munich Dunkel does not really do it any favors. While it is better than your average mass-produced lager and is plenty refreshing, it really doesn't come anywhere close to the best Munich Dunkels.

2.58/5  rDev -23.2%

gets avg points for appearance just because it is dark, and i don't even tend to favor beers this dark. fizzy head. very faint aromas for a dark beer, can detect some roasty and metallic notes. starts and finishes dry and crisp. no thick malt sweetness, very light in body like a guinness. not much going on to speak of. no noticeable hops. this probably looks scary to most people but there are not many actual beer flavors to worry about.

2.58/5  rDev -23.2%

Had a few sips of this beer at Chipotle with PatronWizard (one cool mo-fo I might add) the other day. And yes...I said Chipotle.

A: Brown to copper color. Drank straight from the bottle, so I can't tell you much more than that.

S: Slight caramel malts; couldn't tell what else was in it.

T: Not much taste at all, but not bad...kind of hard to explain. Taste like it smells is the best explaination.

M: Light-body with ample amount of carbonation.

D: Fairly easy

Overall: Even though this is a cheapy beer, its not too bad for a Mexican Ale. Probably won't order it again, but if your stuck between a Corona, Tecate or this...I would definitely choose this one.

2.59/5  rDev -22.9%

Had this at a chain restaurant the other night during an after-business outing.

Pours sort of like a soft-drink, with a head that appears quickly and disappears almost as fast. Faint malt aroma. Thin taste, bit of malt, just a bit, didn't detect much of anything else. Honestly, it tasted like a soft drink.

It's a pleasant drink. You could have a few, and with the right food, it would be ok. But, it's more like an adjunct to the food than it is a beer in its own right.

Still, I would much prefer this beer to most of the macro-brews that are available in the US. It did not venture far into positive territory, but it also avoided negative territory completely, which is more than I can say for most of our mass-produced beers. I would not buy it, but if I ended up in a restaurant or party where this, and only this was available, I would not despair. I'd be OK.

2.6/5  rDev -22.6%

A: Looks to be a sort of watery dark brown color. Absolutely no head whatsoever when it came to me.

S: So you know when you're outside and it's raining/been raining and your pants get wet because some douche speeds through a puddle right next to you even though he easily could have gone around it and you leave your pants out on the balcony to dry and then come back three days later to check on them and you give them a sniff and they still smell dank and like puddle? Yeah, that's what this smells like.

T: Better than the smell, but I don't know how much that's saying. Grain, a little syrupy sweetness, honey and more grain with a creamy mouthfeel. If you gave me this next to Bud Light in a blind taste test, I would have a hard time telling them apart.

2.61/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Got a bottle of this at my local mexican joint. I figured this would probably be the best of the evils to be offered there. Poured into a frosted mug, which I didn't care to refuse because the waiter didn't speak very much english.

It poured out a rather dense, yet transparent brown. Nice foamy head rolled up 2-3 fingers worth. Looks a lot like a bock, then I took a whiff. Well, it sort of smelled like a bock only it was infused with a corny-sweet smell. It didn't do too much for my nose.

Taste is sweet and corn-syrupy all the way through, hops are a barely noticable edge. It doesn't impress me too much on taste. Mouthfeel is a bit heavier than a standard lager. Carbonation is consistent with many other lagers, although not persistant enough to be called "fizzy".

Compared to other "mexi-lagers" I've had, this one is probably the most solid. Still just not my cup of tea. If I was choking on my chimichanga, it would be passable to wash it down with this.

2.62/5  rDev -22%

At the local Mexican bar for Cinco de Mayo and thought I would have a NM in keeping with the spirit of things. I remember liking this beer 5 years ago. Has it changed?

Poured from the bottle it looked like slightly frothy and dark apple juice. Almost no heAd even though I gave it a long distance pour. Little smell whatsoever. The taste was blandly malted with a dull slightly sour finish.

Despite the lack of visible carbonation, it actually felt pretty good in the mouth which did compensate a little for the flat taste. That

2.63/5  rDev -21.7%

Poured out of a bottle into a chilled mug.

Appearance is a medium brown with a fizzy head that doesn't stick around for long.

Smell is a light nutty roastiness and perhaps a little sweet.

Taste is a light nuttiness with a little bit of roast. Really no hops to speak of and the taste drops off fairly quickly. Mouthfeel is thin.

I do enjoy this beer with mexican food but that is about it. I seriously doubt I would ever drink it on a regular basis. However it is probably my favorite mexican lager.

2.64/5  rDev -21.4%

I’ve had this beer before with lime while eating hot Mexican food, and liked it more than I did this time, just taste testing. Appearance was light brown/red, with no head or lacing. Aroma and flavor were okay, but difficult to pick out any particular ingredient. Palate was okay, but again, nothing special. I think I’ll stick to drinking this with a good hot meal.

2.66/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a wonderfully clear amber color with a fluffy squat head. Aroma is mostly DMS, cooked corn aroma, some stale grain going on. Flavor is slighty malty sweet, but the cooked corn rears its ugly head during the taste as well. There isn't a ton of flavor going on either. Mouthfeel is thin, and under carbonated. If I'm desperate, I'd go for this. It might match well with greasy mediocre mexican food, but not a standalone beer for me.

2.67/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours an absolutely beautiful just slightly lighter than ruby red color with a big fairly tight head that is not particularly well retained but leaves just a slightly better than spotty lace. I've got to give this a 4 for appearance on color alone though, the color of this beer is sheer perfection. The aroma however falls a little short of the great heights I suppose I would have liked from such a wonderful looking beer. I can't help but think that this smells precisely like the worst kind of cheap pale lager, with the cooked corn, the light bread yeast, and the mild sweetness. There is some floral character but really not enough to redeem this one. The flavor bounces my confidence in this beer back a up a bit. The beer is sweet, it's too sweet and for that matter it's too corny. But that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of nice things going on in the flavor of this beer there is a good fruitiness with a nice interplay of just the mildest toasty malt. This is all before I mention that this has a really pleasant hop zing, I'm really not sure what the hops are but they strike me as west coast fruity and citrusy hops, however there is no denying the presence of some noble herbal hoppiness as well. The thing about Negra Modelo is that it does, basically, exactly what it came to do. It is slightly sweeter than most pale mexican lagers, at the same time it's got a more bold flavor than those as well, but at the end of the day it's refreshing. I am positive that this is what the brewers of this beer were going for, like it or not, they hit the mark.

2.68/5  rDev -20.2%

This beer is nothing to write home about. It IS better than Corona but that's not saying much. Not really that dark for a dark lager. Roasted taste with a light caramel roastiness to boot. Very lightly carbonated, but goes down smooth enough. All in all not a great beer but decent enough.

2.68/5  rDev -20.2%

12 oz. bottle. Pours a clear brown color with a small off-white head that diminishes immediately. Decent aroma of roasted malt and a bit of bread. Tasted bland, a bit bitter with a watery feel on the palate. Somewhat watery and flat. Goes well with fajitas, chips, and salsa...that's about it.

Negra Modelo from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.