Negra Modelo - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Negra ModeloNegra Modelo

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Negra Modelo Alström Bros
Reviews: 927 | Hads: 3,012
2.96/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Target was selling six-packs for $4.99 which seemed odd but legit. A lot of the appeal comes from the flashy gold label. Inside, a fairly average Mexican lager. Probably needs a lime in it to bring out the citrus notes/smell of most Mexican beers. Low carbonation, okay mouthfeel, leaves a sour aftertaste. Will drink if it's available, but for a whopping 170 calories per bottle, I'd save up for something a little better.

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A once great beer that unfortunately got popular so its not given the proper time to brew and kicked out for distribution/demand quickly. also if stored warm on the shelf it loses a lot of its richness qualities.

Plus+ a relatively easy drinking dark beer option for day time drinking when hot and thirsty.

complements spicier Mexican food without being to filling.

Good but not great/worth trying if never tried and definitely better than the breweries Corona extra where a lime squished in is required.

3.99/5  rDev +18.8%

First time drinking this beer. It's Cinco de Mayo so it felt right. Overall a nice, refreshing beer. Not heavy at all. Smooth and light, with a hint of a hoppy aftertaste. There is an aftertaste that hangs around afterwards. Nothing that won't stop me from getting this again.

4.53/5  rDev +34.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This beer has it all: tastiness, low to moderate mouthfeel, gorgeous rich dark appearance, fresh smell. It’s wonderfully crafted and great all around. I’m a fan. When the fridge gets low or runs out it’s never long before I restock the Negra.

3.67/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Once served I grabbed the lime and tossed it - wiped the glass. Perfect copper color with off white foam and lacing. Subtle smell of lager goodness and sweet bread. Taste is sweet bread and molasses with a touch of hops to create a dry finish. A bit of fine carbonation and slickness. This is a very fine lager - give it a try!

3.43/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Not a bad brew to have with Mexican food. A hint of syrupy sweetness helps balance the spicy flavors of the food. However, there is an aftertaste that makes it tough for me to get through.

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Light brownish-red body; thick, foamy head; Fruity, caramel aroma; nutty. Bitter taste offset with a mild, toasted grain sweetness. Primarily light bodied; smooth with a mildly bittersweet finish.

A respectable, decent tasting brew. I generally find it offered at most Mexican restaurants and becomes my go-to brew for such occasions. It offers enough roasted grain character and warmth with a complementary hop bitterness to make it stand out over most commonly offered Mexican brewery offerings.

3.34/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark,brown, clear color with a very small foamy head from a tap. Head retention and lacing are minimal at best. Dark malty aroma. Hints of nuts and caramel (maybe). Slightly sweet taste with heavier malts, nutty and slight caramel. Not much of a hoppy bitterness. It is a good beer to try if you are looking to go from crap to craft, but not a beer craft lovers would consistently buy. Maybe as a cheaper beer to bring to parties instead of the mass produced adjuvant lagers.

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

OK, not a winner. But I try to represent in every style. As far as Mexican macros (is there a Mexican anything else? Sincerely, let me know!) it's better than Pacifico, Corona, etc. Be at the beach or you'll be disappointed

3.94/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The closer to light, the redder, the further from light, the browner. Transparent for the color. Light gray-brown head which quickly turns to a film, lasts awhile longer before completely disappearing. Smell is nutty and sweet. Also it is just barely estery. Judging from this it is perhaps a little old, but still tastes the same as always to me; good; very much of caramel and malt, faintly woody, chocolatey, alcoholic and perhaps a hint of black cherry (I'm serious, took me a while to figure out what it was). Mildly bitter throughout. Well balanced, highly carbonated, medium to full bodied. Lightly coats the teeth. Finish is not very dry, but warming. As refreshing as a pilsner, as comforting as an ale.

4.53/5  rDev +34.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

From the bottle in a glass. Pours a reddish-brown with a nice head that lasts. Smells of roasted nuts and chocolate. Tastes sweet and then bitter in a good balance like the aroma. Full bodied feel and slightly bitter going down. Overall my go-to beer in a Mexican restaurant.

2.7/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Tasted like a beer sprite. It was very sweet but have to say refreshing on a warm day at a friends home. It was free and will drink again if it is free but probably will never buy.

3.3/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Serving Type: 32 oz. Draught at Hooters in Cancun, Mexico

A- Light Brown (think milk chocolate), slight ruby tinge. 1 finger width of creamy white head

S- Lots of malt sweetness.

T- Malt sweetness and hints of caramel. Tad bit of bitterness on the finish

M- Low to Medium carbonation and a good heavy body.

O- After drinking Corona, Dos Equis, Superior Rubia, etc., it was awesome to find a Mexican beer that didn't taste like corn and/or urine. Definitely getting this one again, although it is a tad on the heavier side and is quite filling.

3.6/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Sweet flavor with a dry finish. This bitterness is hidden unless you go looking for it. This goes down easy and is very refreshing exactly what a dunkel should be. The aroma is faint and of roasted malts. It could benefit from more flavor in general. A more flavorful version of this would be a world class beer. The low level of carbonation makes it extremely easy to drink.

3.63/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a roasted malt smell with some caramel thrown in.
Appearance- A dark yellow to bronze color with a small white head.
Taste- Has a nice strong malt flavor, goes well with food.
Palate- A medium bodied brew with light carbonation. Has a nice finish no bitterness
Overall- An excellent beer for drinking with food.

3.06/5  rDev -8.9%

This is a good mexican beer, I prefer Bohemia, but Negra Modelo is quite good when you can´t find bohemia. Aroma and taste in this beer is very mild, in the low ranges of the style.

3.23/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

On tap in a pint glass.

A- Bronze-it-brown color with a thin white head. No lacing. Bubbly.

S- Bready, roasted malt. "Toasted" scents of caramel, bread, malt.

T- Like the nose. Very malted with some molasses flavor.

M- It was drinkable and all, but crashed on the end. The sweet malts were just too much.

O- I may have enjoyed it more in a 12oz serving. Getting through 16oz of all those malted malty malts was challenging. It gave me a hop craving.

Disclaimer: I'm drinking this in Mexico so maybe that makes a difference? Roasty character with a good body. Goes well with most foods. A great alternative to all the "clear beers." For the price, not sure how you can ask more from a beer out of Mexico but beer snobs will be beer snobs and people on this site still don't rate to style, comparing everything to the best "big beers" they've had.

2.94/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

DATE TASTED: January 31, 2015... GLASSWARE: Warsteiner pokal... OCCASION: Penn State in its annual b-ball battle with Illinois... APPEARANCE: confident amber bronze body; fizzy white head settles to a thin yet creamy quarter-inch; mild effervescence... AROMA: biscuit and toasted bread; that toasted scent suggests roasted nuts and coffee beans... PALATE: slightly crunchy, but reasonably light despite its color; slick at the finish...TASTE: at odds with itself: caramel, toffee and earthy notes vie with cloying, gummy esters that leave a rather funky malt finish...OVERALL: better than its Especial, this provides a profile of sorts in a style normally relegated to pizza support--but the overt malt presence is marred by some plasticine irregularities...

3.82/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Served in a Negra Modelo bottle with a lime wedged in the neck. I got this at my local Tex Mex joint, craving a change from the Dos Equis I usually drink while I'm there. I wasn't expecting too much from this, especially given the reviews here, but I was pleasantly surprised. It has a nice, sultry bronze color with a small, fleeting head. The aroma is muted, but I definitely detect a rich maltiness. The taste was actually more complex than I figured it to be, and there's a definite bite of alcohol that hits you with the carbonation on the tongue. When compared to other Mexican beers, this is definitely at the front of the line. Overall, not bad! I'd certainly get it again.

1.94/5  rDev -42.3%

This beer is bullshit. It's better than Dos Equis, but jesus christ. Family of mine drink this and consider it good, so I thought it was worth a try...I was wrong. This and Dos Equis are enough to make me avoid Mexican beer like the plague. I love Mexican tequilas, mezcals, pretty much anything Mexican, but what the fuck is up with their beers?! It's got a weird taste; bitter but with no pungency. It tastes kind of like dirty pool water with alcohol and carbonation in it. I want to like it for convenience's sake, but my god. I have rarely been this disappointed by a beer. Fuck this; don't purchase.

4.08/5  rDev +21.4%

In 1997 I got on a plane bound for Mexico City. I had been trying to learn Spanish and had been corresponding with a young lady for a few months. She met me at the airport with her boyfriend. They drove me past the Zocalo and to my hotel. I checked in, and when I came down, they were in the restaurant drinking Negra Modelos. I had a great week. I had a personal tour guide showing me the museums and landmarks of a beautiful city and access to Negra Modelo wherever I went. I'm still friends with the girl. We communicate via Facebook these days. So this beer brings back fond memories to me.

As the name suggests, it's a dark beer. It's not heavy, and it doesn't have an overpowering taste, perfect for cooling down after climbing Teotihuacan or taking in the sights on a hot August Mexico City afternoon.

3.39/5  rDev +0.9%

Dark brown with three fingers of light tan head which lasts about five minutes and leaves good amounts of lace behind. Smell is mild grain husk with a light amount of roasted barley malt.
Taste is dark roasted malt with a faint herbal hop bitterness. Pretty well balanced and not overly sweet.
Carbonation is just enough and the finish is semi dry and refreshing. Overall I am enjoying this brew and would have it again. Bottle date indicates it was brewed on Aug. 2, 2014.

3.77/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Well, here goes my first actual beer review on this site. Ordered a bottle of this as my second beer of the night toward the end of my meal at the local Mexican place. Quickly took the lime wedge out of the bottle and poured the beer into the mug that my first beer of the night (a Dos Equis Amber which they had on tap) had been served in.

Looks-wise, this was very dark but clearly red-brown in color, though seemed a bit lighter when pouring. Not a lot of head, though the individual bubbles seemed a bit bigger than those of most beers I've had and there was still enough that I couldn't quite fit the contents of the bottle into the 12-ounce mug (about one long sip's worth was left in the bottle, until I drank it a couple seconds afterward.) I like the design of the bottle, too--that short squat round shape with the blinged-out gold everywhere is just really interesting compared to a lot of beer bottles out there.

Smell was a bit hard to distinguish at first, being overpowered by all the Mexican food smells drifting about. Later on when my meal was gone and most of the other people in the restaurant had cleared out, though, I was able to pick up on some smells that more closely resembled the taste (a bit raisiny.)

At first seemed to just have a kind of general "beer-y" flavor; more flavorful than the Dos Equis but not something that really stood out among the beers I've had before. Once I finished my food and the beer had warmed up slightly, however... things changed fast. The generic "beer-y" flavor was replaced by a combination of an almost raisin-like flavor and something more along the lines of a dark bread.

Overall... I'm really glad I gave this beer another try! I liked it well enough the first time I had it, but found it was definitely better on its own (and without any lime) than it was along with food. I will definitely be having this as "dessert" at Mexican places in the future, and might just consider picking up a six-pack when my fridge is a little less crowded (and my wallet is a little less empty.)

EDIT: Having one in the privacy of my own home right now. I notice now that the smell has a bit of an almost coffee-like roastiness to it, which occasionally shows up in the taste just a bit (blending in with the "dark bread" sort of flavor, mostly.) I'm finding that I really like the mouthfeel on this one when drinking some when it still has a bit of the foam on top, but it becomes a bit less smooth afterward. Also finding that the color of this beer and how clear it is makes it look *really* nice when you've got decent lighting. Fiddled with reviews just a bit to reflect my thoughts... guessing the score probably went up just a tad.

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass

Appearance: pours a thin white head that falls quickly. Very mild lacing. Color is a clear light brown with moderate streaming carbonation.

Aroma: lightly roasted barley and not much else. Very mild.

Mouthfeel: light and frothy with a somewhat dry finish.

Flavor: a bit of caramel and nuttiness, toasted bread, maybe a hint of hops in the finish.

Overall: light and easy drinking, I'm sure this will pair well with carb-heavy, spicy Mexican food.

Negra Modelo from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.