Negra Modelo - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Negra ModeloNegra Modelo

good

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Vienna Lager |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Negra Modelo Alström Bros

3.16/5  rDev -5.4%

3.76/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Well, here goes my first actual beer review on this site. Ordered a bottle of this as my second beer of the night toward the end of my meal at the local Mexican place. Quickly took the lime wedge out of the bottle and poured the beer into the mug that my first beer of the night (a Dos Equis Amber which they had on tap) had been served in.

Looks-wise, this was very dark but clearly red-brown in color, though seemed a bit lighter when pouring. Not a lot of head, though the individual bubbles seemed a bit bigger than those of most beers I've had and there was still enough that I couldn't quite fit the contents of the bottle into the 12-ounce mug (about one long sip's worth was left in the bottle, until I drank it a couple seconds afterward.) I like the design of the bottle, too--that short squat round shape with the blinged-out gold everywhere is just really interesting compared to a lot of beer bottles out there.

Smell was a bit hard to distinguish at first, being overpowered by all the Mexican food smells drifting about. Later on when my meal was gone and most of the other people in the restaurant had cleared out, though, I was able to pick up on some smells that more closely resembled the taste (a bit raisiny.)

At first seemed to just have a kind of general "beer-y" flavor; more flavorful than the Dos Equis but not something that really stood out among the beers I've had before. Once I finished my food and the beer had warmed up slightly, however... things changed fast. The generic "beer-y" flavor was replaced by a combination of an almost raisin-like flavor and something more along the lines of a dark bread.

Overall... I'm really glad I gave this beer another try! I liked it well enough the first time I had it, but found it was definitely better on its own (and without any lime) than it was along with food. I will definitely be having this as "dessert" at Mexican places in the future, and might just consider picking up a six-pack when my fridge is a little less crowded (and my wallet is a little less empty.)

3.25/5  rDev -2.7%

3.24/5  rDev -3%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass

Appearance: pours a thin white head that falls quickly. Very mild lacing. Color is a clear light brown with moderate streaming carbonation.

Aroma: lightly roasted barley and not much else. Very mild.

Mouthfeel: light and frothy with a somewhat dry finish.

Flavor: a bit of caramel and nuttiness, toasted bread, maybe a hint of hops in the finish.

Overall: light and easy drinking, I'm sure this will pair well with carb-heavy, spicy Mexican food.

2.5/5  rDev -25.1%

3.44/5  rDev +3%

2.75/5  rDev -17.7%

3.2/5  rDev -4.2%

3.5/5  rDev +4.8%

It is a dark, rich (yet soft and sweet), dunkel style beer that provides a good amount of flavor, but is not overwhelming. It has a nice dry finish. There are flavors of caramel, a muted nutty note, and no bitterness. What I am saying is it is easy to polish off a 6-pack on your own. Negra Modelo is often consumed with a slice of lime inserted into the bottle (although not necessary). The lime makes the beer more refreshing (unique for dunkel style beers), which is great for the summer.

For more on this beer and others check out http://joyofconsumption.com/

3.8/5  rDev +13.8%

Negra Modelo from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.