Negra Modelo - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Negra ModeloNegra Modelo

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Negra Modelo Alström Bros
Reviews: 926 | Hads: 3,008
3.03/5  rDev -9.8%

poured out brownish in color, not too dark really. off white head that left minimal amounts of lacing. fizzy carbonation. taste wasnt bad, but it wasnt a very flavorful brew. sweet in the beginning but finished dry and a little bitter. end hada slight alcohol taste as well. went down alot smoother that any other offering i have had from Modelo. what kept my interest in this beer was its drinkability. very smooth and easy to put down. not a bad beer, not a fantastic beer. worth a try i believe

2.62/5  rDev -22%

At the local Mexican bar for Cinco de Mayo and thought I would have a NM in keeping with the spirit of things. I remember liking this beer 5 years ago. Has it changed?

Poured from the bottle it looked like slightly frothy and dark apple juice. Almost no heAd even though I gave it a long distance pour. Little smell whatsoever. The taste was blandly malted with a dull slightly sour finish.

Despite the lack of visible carbonation, it actually felt pretty good in the mouth which did compensate a little for the flat taste. That

2.99/5  rDev -11%

A: Dark, clear, amber color with a ton of carbonation. Has a very bubbly head and it looks like I just poured a Dr. Pepper on my mug.

S: I'm not getting much off the nose. The first initial sniff gave me sole caramel and a malty smell but it disappeared rather fast. There might be a hint of grass as well.

T: The beer gives a decent amount of hops and adjuncts and you can definitely taste them. The texture is very watery and there isn't as much malt flavor as I was expecting. Not a bad taste but not memorable in any way. It's just sort of...there.

M: Watery will a somewhat dry finish. Lots of burps.

O: A mildly bitter adjunct beer that has some OK flavors but is overall not very memorable. Not bold enough for my taste but definitely good with some tacos.

4.25/5  rDev +26.5%

Pours dark brown/black with some red hues. Brown head. Smells caramelly. It actually has a bit of a smell next to lots of beers i've had which are just 'eh' there. Taste is chocolately and caramelly. It's not terribly bitter or hostile. Mouthfeel is between a porter and a stout to me. There's not much of a bite like porters. Drinkability - II found this to be very easy to throw back but it's still worth savoring. It's great on a cool night I've found.

I think this would make a great beer for fussy people to like. Course I hate starting someone on something like this especially if they're going to be philistines about it or that's the only beer they'll like which would be odd.

3.58/5  rDev +6.5%

A - Dark golden color with a slight head.
S - Some malty vienna notes present.
T - Toasty rich malt notes, with a clean lager character, and subtle bitterness.
M - Good body with a appropriate level of carbonation leaves a gentle finish.

This is a pretty good beer, and a great example of Vienna lager. It's malty, clean, and crisp, great for a hot summer day.

3.57/5  rDev +6.3%

12oz bottle to pint glass.
A: Dark, dark amber, but not a black beer - you can see the whole way through the glass. Small foamy head, almost no retention or lacing.
S: Malts and caramels. Nice aroma, but quite light.
T: Actually nice taste. Caramels and some malts again, well balanced, nice and clean. Some sour lemon notes.
M: Nicely carbonated and smooth.
D: This is a fine beer for a cinco de mayo party or at mexican restaurants, where little else is available. Not bad at all.

4.08/5  rDev +21.4%

In 1997 I got on a plane bound for Mexico City. I had been trying to learn Spanish and had been corresponding with a young lady for a few months. She met me at the airport with her boyfriend. They drove me past the Zocalo and to my hotel. I checked in, and when I came down, they were in the restaurant drinking Negra Modelos. I had a great week. I had a personal tour guide showing me the museums and landmarks of a beautiful city and access to Negra Modelo wherever I went. I'm still friends with the girl. We communicate via Facebook these days. So this beer brings back fond memories to me.

As the name suggests, it's a dark beer. It's not heavy, and it doesn't have an overpowering taste, perfect for cooling down after climbing Teotihuacan or taking in the sights on a hot August Mexico City afternoon.

3.98/5  rDev +18.5%

A: Poured a medium copper-brown color, clear, easy to see through but still looks good. Average head, maybe an inch, stayed for a decent amount of time but not much lacing.

S: Malty and grainy to me but I am not that good with the nose.

T: A little malty and pretty sweet. Slightly bitter aftertaste but it is very well done. Maybe a hint of chocolate? Not sure.

M: Medium level of carbonation. Not very heavy even though it is dark. Refined well.

D: Goes down smooth but somehow is filling even though it does not feel that heavy.

4.38/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My only complaint on this beer is that I wish it had a bigger nose. It's a little subtle but still a wonderful scent. This beer has great malt character and a smooth, easily approachable lager mouthfeel. Not too carbonated and very thirst-quenching. The robust dark malts are not as pronounced as a schwarzbier from Germany. The hops on this beer are not as Euro-bitter as other Munich Dunkels out there. Sweet carmel amber malts and clean finish make this beer delicious. Mexico's best in the U.S.

2.7/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Tasted like a beer sprite. It was very sweet but have to say refreshing on a warm day at a friends home. It was free and will drink again if it is free but probably will never buy.

4.1/5  rDev +22%

A darker beer for a cerveza. Poured a redish-brown color with a creamy head that lasted a fair time.

The aroma was malty with slight carmel and nut tone.

Flavor was slighty sweet with a carmal, roasted malt taste. Ended with a bitter-sweet finish.
One of my favorites from this group. I would give this above average marks for taste, color , flavor and aroma.

3.26/5  rDev -3%

Grabbed a six of this the other day as i had some over Christmas at my cousins and decided to check into it a little further. 12 oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass. Dark carmel color about like strong iced tea with a 1/2 finger watery head that was gone in a squinit. Lacing was short lived and light. Smelled strongly of alchohol and malt much like md 20-20 back in the day. Taste was winey and somewhat watery and was gone quickly with a dry finish. Mouthfeel was decent and on the thin side with a moderate bite and not unpleasant mouth to nose aroma. Drinkability was ok but not what i was expecting. All in all not a bad beer but nothing i would sell the farm over. Drink some for yourself and you be the judge, but not worth $9.00 a six in my humble opinion.

3.95/5  rDev +17.6%

A: Pours a very dark brown with minimal sized head. Doesn't appear very thick, not bad.

S: Actually a very good smell. Can smell dark malts. Very crisp smell, surprised me for a Mexican beer.

T: Very good taste as well. Can taste the dark chocolate malts. A pretty dry beer, with a nice little malty aftertaste. a bit like a stout... but not quite.

D: reasonably high drinkability. Not overwhelming or heavy and very enjoyable. would go good with grilled foods....

3.23/5  rDev -3.9%

A cut above the other widely available beers from Mexico. Clear, crisp, clean, and mild are descriptors that come to mind. When I first began to explore beer the Mexican imports were where I started; they were relatively inexpensive and easily available. Negra Modelo is the only one I still drink on occasion.

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

A- fairly decent foamy light tan head that lasted a good bit. Nice lacing. Clear mahogany brown. Very inviting.

S- clean, spicy, malt, ginger.

T- toasted malt. Slightly sugary. Hints of caramel and fig.

M- light, smooth, creamy. Very good balance.

O- very nice/pleasant. Enjoyable throughout. One of the better Vienna lagers available in wide release. Would go well with many meals (very food friendly), or all alone. Something I'd be glad to serve others who may not have the broadest of beer palates (i.e. parties, picnics, etc.) Not what I normally reach for, but would definitely have again.

4.2/5  rDev +25%

This is one of my "regular" beers; one that I buy more often than almost any other. It's not the best beer I've ever tasted, but it's the best one I can find on a regular basis that costs in the $7/sixpack range. I generally favor dark beers, not too bitter, and Negra Modelo fills the bill reliably. I would describe the taste as clean and slightly rich, and it goes down easily. If you like dark beers, you won't go wrong with this one!

Good beer especially for price. I think it is a great one for anyone who wants to begin to explore darker beers but not quite ready to take the plunge. This is a good sampler and prep beer for flavor and color to prepare for darker beers to come. I will gladly buy this beer again and share it with my friends as well. Good job on this one!

On-Tap @ Azteca Everett...

Came out a piss pour yellow/no head or lacing. huge lime wedge on the edge of the glass.

Not much smell to this. taste is much the same a splash of grain/malt. I squeezed in the lime halfway in... it didnt help things.

Overall a very generic tasting/boring beer.

3.21/5  rDev -4.5%

12 oz. foiled cap bottle pored into a mug. it pours a pretty nice dark red with some orange hightlights. good white head with good retention. the smell is light roasted malts and a slight spicey tang to it. the taste is malty with a little hint of hop bitterness. a little too watery though. tastes a lot better room temp then cold. i'd say this is now my favorite mexican beer. it's nothing special, but still a nice beer to have with a steak quisadilla.

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

This is my go-to beer at any Mexican restaurant. I love how this beer is both dark and malty and yet also quite light. The carbonation balances out the dark malts perfectly. It is crisp and easy to drink, but with a pleasant toastiness. Also interesting how this beer is almost single-handedly keeping alive the "Vienna lager" style. All in all, a great beer.

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

The appearance was a little flat,not much bubbly and the hickory odor made it come across "old",and not fresh. Unfortunately it didnt really surprise,the aged taste was hardy,but not refreshing. I will try another ,but would want with food,not by itself.

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

OK, not a winner. But I try to represent in every style. As far as Mexican macros (is there a Mexican anything else? Sincerely, let me know!) it's better than Pacifico, Corona, etc. Be at the beach or you'll be disappointed

3.35/5  rDev -0.3%

Served in a pilsner.

pours dark reddish brown with a white head, little retention, and little carbonation visible.

smell is of sweet dark malts

taste is a bit watery with dark malts dominating the flavor. I get some dark fruits and a little bit of chocolate. Mostly sweet tasting, leaving a little bit of dryness.

feel is smooth and watery

2.81/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This isn't a fantastic beer but its probably the best Mexican beer I've had. It's almost bereft of aroma and has a very mild taste without much character to speak of. It's fairly smooth but overall there just ain't much to remark on. It's ok for drinking with your buddies at the bar but I wouldn't order it as my first. As an aside, if you mix in a shot of vodka, it tastes like a Baltika 9.

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%

A - red/brown color with a quickly dissipating head

S - a slight sweetness and a bit of citrus as well

T - not what I expected from a "dark" beer at all. More of a slightly toasted taste with little bitterness.

M - medium carbonation with a light body. does not have the feel of a dark beer...

D - easy to drink. it won't blow you away with its new and fantastic taste, but I can see taking 3 or 4 away in a night and being happy with that.

Negra Modelo from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.