Negra Modelo - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Negra ModeloNegra Modelo

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Negra Modelo Alström Bros
Reviews: 926 | Hads: 3,008
3.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance: Clear, dark copper color with good carbonation; small off-white head that dissipates quickly, leaving slight lacing

Smell: Sweet, roasted malts with hints of chocolate & toffee

Taste: Sweet malt taste with some toffee & caramel notes up front; also get some metallic notes common with Mexican beers; finishes crisp with slight hops

Mouthfeel: Crisp & light, with over the top carbonation

Drinkability: Average; has no great characteristics or flaws; will finish the six pack, but unlikely to have this again

Overall, Negra Modelo is an average beer. There are many more suitable options for the style, but at the same time, I'm not dumping this down the drain. It's drinkable, but I'd prefer something with more taste.

3.48/5  rDev +3.6%

This is a fine beer with tacos. Its a semi-transparent blackish-brown, almost the color of Coca-Cola. In fact, a guy with me at the restaurant though I had a mixed drink, not a beer. Malt is very dominant in the flavor profile with slight sweetness. Hop bitterness and flavor are really undetectable. It has a thin body with enough carbonation to keep it interesting. Probably best ice cold and in large quantity.

3.88/5  rDev +15.5%

When I am south of the border the "Black Model" is my beer of choice. It is the only dark beer I have ever had lime in and somehow it works - and that always makes me feel like I am on vacation. Solid taste, best dark Mexican beer I've ever had but the closest thing I can recall is Dos Equis Amber. Mouth feel is light and head of beer is pretty weak.

2.95/5  rDev -12.2%

I drank this out of an oversized wine glass. it poured a translucent dark amber color. The head was small and had little lacing. It had a coffee smell with hints of toffee. Not too malty to my taste. Somewhat sweet, maybe brown sugar. Nice carbonation with a sort of thin mouthfeel. It is overall an ok mexican beer, better than most I have had

3.56/5  rDev +6%

A nice refreshing change of pace from most Mexican beers. It has nutty caramel taste to it, i'm not really picking much up on it smell. This beer reminds a lot of Newcastle, it looks like it will be a lot more aggressive than it actually is. It a decent beer, nothing to get to excited over, but worth giving a try once in a while.

3.4/5  rDev +1.2%

tried this one in what else but a mexican resturant.no lime required for this one a little above average for a mexican beer.
apperance: dark not much of a head.
smell:better than most. but barely above average.
taste:not bad nothing spectacular but when in a mexican resturant get this one.
mouthfeel:again it is just typical.
drinkability:now heres something you can have several of these with your meal and be ok.
order this one and the resturant staff will look at you as one of them not a tourist.

3.13/5  rDev -6.8%

This beer poured a nice reddish-black with a small head. Good looking dark ale.

Not an overwhelming smell but a overall good scent of roasted malts and caramel.

Good tasting beer, great balance of malt with a hint of chocolate and a great taste of caramels. This beer does have a good bitter sweet taste and pulls it off very well. I believe that this is one of the best offering that I have had so far from Mexico. If they could only make Corona taste more like this.

Very smooth beer for the dark beer lover. Light feeling beer with the good overall taste. Very drinkable beer, especially with a good side Mexican dish. I will sure have this brew again.

3.82/5  rDev +13.7%

I am usually over-critical when it comes to imports, But I really liked this one. Perhaps the trip from Mexico doesn't wreck the beer like the trip from Europe does. It's a nice, easy to drink German Style dark lager that isn't too heavy and finishes very clean. No off flavors to speak of. The malt character is dominant, but not obtuse. It's a good buy.

2.95/5  rDev -12.2%

I also disliked the foil on the bottle spent to much time trying to peel the foil off the bottle . The overall taste was slightly above average I had no idea what to expect with this beer but it lagged a little in overall to light a mouthfeel to be an enjoyable dark beer to much dark malt flavor to be very drinkable I am sure many people enjoy this beer but it is not on my list of beers to try again

3.08/5  rDev -8.3%

On draft into a standard pint glass on 5/27/2013.

Appearance: Clear, medium/dark brown, very little foam.

Aroma: The smell is dominated by roasted malt. It is pretty simple.

Taste: Sweet malts, very little bitterness, and less roasted flavor than the aroma suggests.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is very light with good carbonation.

Overall: Negra Modelo is pretty good for what it is--typically the best beer on draft at the Mexican restaurants near my house.

4.24/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours out dark has some sort of amber color to it. Head disappeared very quickly. Smells like bread and malts. Taste very sweet. Hops and some chocolate malts are present. Finishes like modelo taste a bit watered down compared to it. Better than modelo in my opinion.

3.9/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

My favorite Mexican beer . . . and I'm not saying that to damn this beer with faint praise. This is a great beer.

Grupo Modelo alternately calls this a Munich-style lager or a Vienna-style lager — either way, it's a nice, balanced dark lager beer.

The beer is a copper-colored lager (although it's labelled "dark ale" in Texas due to our buffoonish laws regarding beer labelling) with a decent head. One of the best elements of Negra Modelo is the aroma -- it's vaguely nutty/toasy and melanoidin-rich without any oxidation-derived off aromas. It has a nice, malty flavor that doesn't quite live up to the smell, but is still that of one of the best dark lagers around. Just enough hop presence to keep the beer from being cloying, although there is a moderate caramel sweetness.

The carbonation is maybe a bit more prickly than it needs to be, but that's a minor criticism. The body is medium for a moderate strength lager.

I like well-crafted, balanced beers and Negra Modelo is one of my favorites when I'm in the mood for a moderate-strength, dark lager. I think this beer suffers, image-wise, from it's association with other Mexican beers (which are mostly, let's face it, swill). If it was called Modelobräu, and imported from Germany, it's score would jump much higher.

3.78/5  rDev +12.5%

The best beer from Grupo Modelo.

It pours a nice dark satin color with withe head.

The smell is very malty, good, strong.

It tastes good, a little hoppy and creamy, I think that's why they call it " La crema de la cerveza" - "The cream of the beer".

For some people it is so robust that they often combine it with another light beer, but not me.

For Christmas '06 it was offered In a Special Edition package, that came with different illustrations on the bottle.

Best if served very cold.

3.71/5  rDev +10.4%

A dark burgandy with light carbonation that almost immediatly seems to fade. Little head retention. Smells of yeast with a slight under current of spices. Taste is viscous, cool and creamy across the tongue. It has a light oaken notes, with a light nuttiness and sweet undercurrent. Not a very strong tasting beer. There's a delayed, slightly bitter aftertaste that fades quickly. Drinkability is high, because its inoffensive play in the mouth, and because it doesn't bludgeon you with with flavour or alcohol.

1.94/5  rDev -42.3%

This beer is bullshit. It's better than Dos Equis, but jesus christ. Family of mine drink this and consider it good, so I thought it was worth a try...I was wrong. This and Dos Equis are enough to make me avoid Mexican beer like the plague. I love Mexican tequilas, mezcals, pretty much anything Mexican, but what the fuck is up with their beers?! It's got a weird taste; bitter but with no pungency. It tastes kind of like dirty pool water with alcohol and carbonation in it. I want to like it for convenience's sake, but my god. I have rarely been this disappointed by a beer. Fuck this; don't purchase.

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

Sweet honey aroma along with a nutty toastiness. Pours very deep amber with a white head. It's very easy drinking with high carbonation and a somewhat sticky mouthfeel. To the taste there is caramel, some toffee, toast and sweet malts. Does some different things to differentiate itself as a lager and I liked that. Decent stuff.

4.53/5  rDev +34.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This beer has it all: tastiness, low to moderate mouthfeel, gorgeous rich dark appearance, fresh smell. It’s wonderfully crafted and great all around. I’m a fan. When the fridge gets low or runs out it’s never long before I restock the Negra.

3.78/5  rDev +12.5%

Finally, a Mexican brew that's not afraid of a little grain. This dark ruby brew gives off a rich malt aroma, eventhough the head quickly disapears as with most lagers. The taste is of light hops and spice. This beer has a solid feel in my mouth with a malt finish. Will look forward to this the next time i'm eating mexican

3.55/5  rDev +5.7%

One of my favorite Mexican beers. The best for beer battered fish.

Color is light brown/dark copper, retention is minimal and body appears thin. Aroma isn't overwhelming, light malt and caramel with slight ethanol. Caramel dominates the flavor profile. Very slight dryness in finish. Not a lot of hop flavor anywhere. I've found that this beer is much better without a glass.

3.66/5  rDev +8.9%

This is actually quite good for Mexican beer. I was pleasantly surprised. Very smaooth and satisfying. Most previous beers I tried from south of the border were crap.

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%

Overall rating: Nice, but not a personal favorite. Would be higher on the list if not for a bitter aftertaste.

Appearance: Beautiful carmel color yet transparent when held up to the light. Average head and lace retention.

Nose: Light intermix of nut- and hop-aroma

Taste: Hops and coffee tastes, but with a bitterness that follows as the beer passes through the back of the palate.

Mouth: A nice, luxuriant feel.

Drink: Not at all difficult to consume. My personal preference is for the palate to be clean once the potable has exited into the esophagus. Yeah, I know that you are tired of me saying that, but I like what I like...

3.67/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Pours a golden clear, dark amber with a light tan inch & half head. Weak retention, leading to a thin layer of microbubbles across the surface.

Smell - Sub par aroma. Caramel notes with slight café.

Taste - Caramel flavor present. Some earthy presence and grassy hop. Light café.

Mouthfeel - Very creamy yet light to medium body with active carbonation. Tingles the tongue yet it goes down smooth and easy.

Overall - A nice brown Mexican beer, beter than the blondes. If your at a Mexican restaurant and like dark lagers, this is a fine choices to be had. Enjoyed it.

Serving type: bottle to goblet.

4.45/5  rDev +32.4%

I ordered this in a restaurant and was not expecting much. I figured it would be another Corona-like Mexican beer. The other choices the restaurant had were unappealing (Bud, Coors), so I gave it a show.

I am very glad I tried it. I really enjoyed this beer.

A: No faults, looks to be a dark amber.

S: Sweet smells dominate

T: Lots of fruit-forward malts that make the initial taste sweet, but with just enough bitter to offer balance.

M: Actually has more body to it than I thought it would. Nice balanced body.

D: Very, very drinkable. Can fill the role of delicious hot day beer and also has enough body to match with many meals.

Overall: Very pleasantly surprised at how good this beer was.

3.12/5  rDev -7.1%

A dark lagger brewed by mexican macro giant Cerveceria Cuauhtemoc Moctezuma.

Color: Brown marron color with very low head retention and low lace formation lace. Pours good.

Aroma: Faded aromas of dry malts and hops.

Taste: Semi-dry malts and some hops. Nothing much interesting. Average mexican macro lagger

Finish: Dry finish with bitter aftertaste.

3.11/5  rDev -7.4%

This is a decent Mexican beer. It doesn't blow you with complex and fascinating flavors, but it doesn't need a lime to be tolerable (like some other Mexican brews). It has a nice malty flavor with a little bit of hoppiness. Goes well the Mexican food it is probably almost always accompaning. An enjoyable brew, I probably wouldn't buy it to take home (maybe if my wife is making her enchiladas) but It's one of the two or three I'll have at Mexican restaurants. I also love the the marking on the label calling it an OK + Dark Ale. Except the ale part that is a perfect description.

Negra Modelo from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.