Negra Modelo - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Negra ModeloNegra Modelo

good

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Vienna Lager |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Negra Modelo Alström Bros
3.13/5  rDev -6.3%

Appearance: Poured a light, caramel brown. A finger of head developed before dissipating to a bubbly lacing.

Smell: Very subtle aroma. Caramel and vanilla.

Taste: It's grainy for a darker brew. Caramel and nutty. There is just a slight hint of hops at the end.

Drinkability: It's not bad. Anyone for dessert after a couple Modelo Especial's?

TheQuietMan22, May 02, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +10.8%

Serving - Bottle to pint glass.

Appearance - Dark mahogany brown and if you didn't know better you'd think it was a glass of coca cola . However, very light and transparent when held up to the light. Very little head and it was a light chocolate/brown color which went away very quickly after I poured.

Smell - Very, very faint hints of caramel and malt

Taste - Smooth balanced taste and the caramel malt comes through as does some grain. I noticed just little nutty flavor in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Just a little too much fizz but not in a bad way. Oily and lingers on the palate which I like and a slight bitter aftertaste in contrast to the smooth taste when you first sip on it

Drinkability - Overall, I thought it was a very pleasant tasting dark beer that went down very smoothly. Best Mexican beer I have tasted and would go well with a nice steak or Mexican dishes.

JAStheAce, May 01, 2009
3.45/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle into tumbler.

Pours almost cola brown, small tan head.

Aroma is a bit of roasty malt.

Taste is roasty malt, a bit nutty, clean.

Medium body, though maybe a bit watery, with good carbonation.

Nothing special, until you try the beers that are generally on the menu with it. Decent and drinkable.

JohnQVegas, Apr 27, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -6.3%

A: Deep Brown, yet still translucent and clear. A very minimal surface coating of off-white head.

S: Aromas are quite muted, but what is detectible are malts and some sort of tinny, metallic aroma. Not overly pleasant, so I'm thankful the aromas are muted.

T: A light caramel maltiness, though it's more like a light maltiness with caramel added. There are some faint lemon notes then a mild amount of hop-induced bitterness.

M: Medium bodied. Mild carbonation. Finishes clean and dry, but not too dry. Shall I say "off-dry?"

D: Easy to drink. Pairs well with Mexican food (with which I was drinking it with). Couldn't see drinking this by itself, but it's far better than Corona

Florida9, Apr 24, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -10.8%

Had this a a local Mex restruant in town.

appearance: light borwn color

smell: slight hops to almost zero smell

taste: Little to none, clear refresher

mouthfeel: very high carbonation

drinkability: it was ok, better choices unsure about freshness though. which I doubt because I thought I would have liked this beer better. I will try again

CampusCrew, Apr 23, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +4.8%

Overall rating: Nice, but not a personal favorite. Would be higher on the list if not for a bitter aftertaste.

Appearance: Beautiful carmel color yet transparent when held up to the light. Average head and lace retention.

Nose: Light intermix of nut- and hop-aroma

Taste: Hops and coffee tastes, but with a bitterness that follows as the beer passes through the back of the palate.

Mouth: A nice, luxuriant feel.

Drink: Not at all difficult to consume. My personal preference is for the palate to be clean once the potable has exited into the esophagus. Yeah, I know that you are tired of me saying that, but I like what I like...

MikeInIowa, Apr 16, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Nice amber color, thin film of white foam on top.

S: For some reason, I get the smell of buttered corn. I know my nose isn't off and there isn't corn near me, so I'm not losing it. But, I get corn.

T: Starts very astringent and dry right off the bat, but has a mellow malt flavor that slides in. Finishes smooth, and the malt sweetness is very nice. Aftertaste is dry, slighty oily on the tongue. Get some citrus notes, but nothing that pops. Hops are faint, little earthy but not too noticeable.

M: Little fizzy, and again, has a dry astringency to it. The body is interesting..it's thin, but it has some weight to the tongue.

D: Easy to drink lager, and out of the mexican brews, I prefer this one over most. It isn't complicated, and definitely a summer beer.

Beefeater57, Apr 15, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +28.7%

This brew poured a nice honey brown color with a half inch head. Light lacing on the glass, carbonation visible on the sides.

Aroma had caramel as the most detectable of the sweet malts, and a little grapefruit hop aroma as well. Other than the grapefruit, reminded me briefly of a light maple syrup.

Malty flavor comes through; caramel with a good grapefruit bitterness to finish it off.

Good mouthfeel, the sweetness hangs around on the palate a little bit; may make it a bit too sweet after a while.

This brew is easy to chug. All in all, it's one of my favorite Mexican beers along with Bohemia. Good flavor with no off-putting taste although it does get a bit sweet after having about 4 or 5 in a night (or more for that matter).

As a side note, I cook a lot with this beer too. Good for adding flavor and tenderizing meat when you don't want a heavy porter flavor lingering on your food.

davexisxrabid, Apr 06, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +5.7%

A- A chocolatey brown with a one and a half finger white head that disappates to a mere slick.
S- Smells of dark grain, caramel, just the tinieist bit of chocolate.
T- Has a good caramel twang to it with just a slight essence of hops to it. Caramel with just a wee bit of chocolate and hops in there to subtle out the caramel taste. Also, has a strange cookie taste in there.
M- Finishes pretty dry. Mouthfeel is light, maybe a touch too light, but not terribly so.
D- A good session beer. My favorite of the Mexican beers. Easily. Has a real taste and substance to it, but doesn't sacrifice drinkability.

jsprain1, Apr 06, 2009
3.35/5  rDev +0.3%

Not a bad beer, but my favorite Mexican Beer is still Dos Equis. Anyway, appearance not bad very dark brown (near black) but no real head or lacing.
Smell is ok but not a lot to it. Some dry malt a bit of sugar on the backend is all.
Taste is a bit better, the dry malt brings in a bit of a nutty taste and just a hint of hops joins the sugary finish. Mouthfeel is weak but expected. Drinkability is pretty good.

supercolter, Apr 04, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a clear, dark brown color. 1/3 inch head of an off-white color. Poor retention and poor lacing. Smells of pale malt, sweet malt, and some yeast cleanliness. Fits the style of a Munich Dunkel Lager. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with a high carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt up front, then strong yeast cleanliness, and some very slight roasted malt in the finish. Overall, a rather decent Munich Style Dunkel - I could drink quite a few of these as session beers.

Tone, Mar 23, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +22.8%

Ap. Pours a nice caramel color, but no head or lacing at all.
Sm. Not a strong smell, sweetness and caramel.
Ta. Some chocolate, caramel. A nice sweetness with a smooth finish.
Mf. Light carbonation, pleasant.
Dr. Yes indeedy. It goes down very easy and tastes great on the way. I first encountered Negra Modelo in Berrego Springs, CA and fell in love with it.

deaconoflove, Mar 22, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +37.1%

Old favorite available at a Mexican restaurant near you.

A - Pours mahogany, 1 finger head, dissipates fast. Leaves little lacing.

S/T - Caramel, roasted toffee, and slight-minty hops.

M - Full-bodied, malt dominated, and is very smooth.

D - Fantastic. Could drink a six-pac on a hot day. Very underrated, underappreciated beer.

MisterClean, Mar 21, 2009

12oz bottle at tequila joe's in Oreland PA.

A- Not sure on this one as I drank it out of the bottle but it did not look to dark looking at the bottle.

S- Pretty much more malts than hops and somewhat of a spicy character and on the sweet side.

T- Got a toasted malt base backed by what im guessing is hops, some grains in there as well. Some spiciness in the finish as well as some mild fruit(apple).

M- A lot of carbonation and a bit higher than light bodied. This has a good body unlike other beers from mexico. This is not just flavored water, although it is not complex.

D- Sessionable and decent enough for a few on a hot day. If I ever find myself in mexico at least I have something to seek out.

BARFLYB, Mar 20, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +14.7%

I had this at a Mexican restaurant recently, and it complemented the food perfectly, so I decided it was time to revisit. Copp color comes from a rigorous pour. About a finger of white head results. By the looks of it, this brew will be very carbonated. Nose gives off some sweet grain smells, bit of milk chocolate as well. Definitely tastes very grainy, sweet like graham crackers. Chocolate comes through a bit, and there is a sort of metallic twang too. Not as carbonated as I was expecting, and fairly light in body. Very good drinkability, it compliments food extremely well. Next time, skip the Corona, and go for this instead.

jamie2dope, Mar 15, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a mild brown color with a one-finger head into my pint glass. Seems normal.

Aroma is a bit sweet and roasty. Actually, more sweet than anything.

Taste is sweet with caramel and malt showing through the most. Seemingly pretty ordinary but passable.

Mouthfeel is full of sweet malt and caramel that linger. Nothing special but it does go down easily.

Not a bad beer. It may not even be fresh but at least it's still drinkable the way it is. Gotta be good for something after all.

Brad007, Mar 14, 2009
3.48/5  rDev +4.2%

A - About a one finger head with some decent retention. Not really enough lacing to mention. Color is a nice dark brown with reddish hues, looks like a lot of ambers I have tried.

S - Not really a whole lot of smell, but its ok. Somewhat of a biscuity malt smell. Slight hint of hops smell.

T - Dominated by malts. Very smooth and a slightly dry finish. Finishing aftertaste similar to corona.

M - Average, very smooth feel but not full at all.

D - Ok, probably won't reach for this again but nothing really to keep you from knocking back a few of these

Not bad, but kind of overpriced. Taste like what should be another cheap mexican beer. Finishing taste is similar to corona. Nothing great but not bad either. Probably worth a try, some may really like it, to me its just pretty average though.

cottonkoozie, Mar 12, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance is a dark brown amber with little head and no lace. Smell and taste of sweet roasted malts, light caramel with a crisp mild bitterness that finishes clean. Mouthfeel is light in body with good carbonation. I had a bottle while waiting for my Mexican takeout and ended up buying a sixer for the evening.

Bookseeb, Mar 12, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -13.2%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was coca-cola colored. The beeer poured a nice head but it did not last long at all. It left decent lacing, but really, who cares about that? The beer smelled sour to me. Taste was a little sweet and a little flat tasting. No good to me I will not buy agaiun as I have tried this beer repeadedly and always get the same bad beer.

Minkybut, Mar 08, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appears dark brown/copper in color, has a thin soapy head that dissipates very quickly. However it does retain an inviting ring around the top of the beer throughout entire consumption! Has medium carbonation & leaves no lacing. Smells of very sweet malts with some grainy aromas and a typical corny/vegetable aroma. Although malts & vegetables dominate, there are hints of citrus and a weird fruity strawberry aroma, kind of reminds me of a stale pack of gummy bears.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes corny with vegetables and sweet undertones of malt. There's a snap of dry bitterness on the finish that definitely reminds me of Corona! Bitterness quickly fades, and as it warms that same bitterness becomes more of a rubbery bitter flavor, just like Corona but not as bad. Sweet, malty and grainy overall. Mouthfeel is smooth and somewhat thin, not allot of active carbonation of the palate either. Lite body.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - Anybody could drink this beer all night long, it definitely has allot more flavor than allot of other lagers out there. I loved how lively this beer looked from beginning to end, it does seem to develop a somewhat strange, or in my case unpleasant rubbery taste as it warms. Similar to Corona! Maybe it's just my taste, I did enjoy this beer but I can't get over that rubbery flavor. Ill have to try this one again sometime, if my taste is any different, ill be sure to update my review.

For now though, I definitely recommend you try this beer. Because chances are that you wont taste what I taste, full of flavor and pretty smooth. Go for it! Cheers!

PintOHops, Mar 07, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -17.7%

OK, you'll have to excuse me, but I can't understand why people like that much this beer. To me is just a dark version of Coronas, with some more body and aroma and some more tasty, but nothing that I haven't tasted in many beers before. Clear brown colour, a little head that doesn't hold and leaves no leace. It smells a bit of cocoa powder, faint caramel and toasted notes and some metallic notes. Watery metallic taste with hints of cocoa and caramel and there's a little more that you can tell, if anything. I've tried several times to try to convince myself, but not.

janubio, Mar 06, 2009
3.48/5  rDev +4.2%

This one is clear amber-brown in color with a tannish head with a respectable head that lasts for a minute or two.

The smell is malty with caramel notes.

The taste is quite malty with some caramel and brown sugar undertones. Slightly buttery and a little light.

The body is medium and this mouthfeel is rather clean and fairly smooth with some crispness. The finish is pretty clean.

This is a surprisingly respectable session beer and worth giving a shot.

Brenden, Mar 04, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +13.2%

A- pours a clear burgundy with a two finger foamy white head.

S- Dark roasted malt, spicy raisins, diacetyl, slightly sweet and pleasant.

T- A buttery, dark toasty maltiness dominates the flavor. Finishes with a grassy tea like hoppiness. Overall well balanced.

M- Smooth, creamy, carbonation is just right. Medium bodied.

D- Excellent. I was pleasantly surprised with this brew. Me gusta Negra Modelo! ( sorry, that's about all I remember from high school.)

JayNH, Feb 25, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +20.7%

A- Pours a 1 finger head, one shade above white. The head lakes great retention but does stay around for a minute or two. The body is crystal clear amber brown.

S- Quite a bit of caramel, nuttiness, honey graham crackers, maple nut. Not bad at all.

T- Starts out with a bit of raisin, some brown sugar, a hint of chocolate while transitioning, I get a note of maplenut before the dominantly going to a dry light hop note. Again, not bad at all.

M- Medium carbonation is a perhaps a bit cloying but the finish is relatively clean.

D- Quite a drinkable mexican beer. This is definitely going to be my mexican restaurant go-to.

Greggy, Feb 24, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +7.8%

As far as Mexican beers go, this is my go-to. A much better alternative than Corona, which needs to be boiled to be drinkable.

Color is dark brown with medium foam. Smell is not distinctive, some malty aroma whihc omes through and controls the taste. There is a very minor hoppy finish, but it is hidden below the surface.

I find this very drinkable - at a happy hour with chips and salsa, I could easily have a bunch of these.

KTCamm, Feb 15, 2009
Negra Modelo from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.