Negra Modelo - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Negra ModeloNegra Modelo

good

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Vienna Lager |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Negra Modelo Alström Bros
DIM

2.98/5  rDev -10.8%

a: This was a clear, very dark brown. It poured with a medium sized head that was gone fairly quickly.

s: Very little to speak of, some corny grains maybe?

t: Again, not much going on. Mostly a generic, corny, macro taste, but not as offensive.

m: Thin and fizzy.

d: Every now and then in a Mexican restaurant.

09-05-2008 09:48:06 | More by DIM
mtstatebeer

2.7/5  rDev -19.2%

12 oz. bottle. Pours a clear brown color with a small off-white head that diminishes immediately. Decent aroma of roasted malt and a bit of bread. Tasted bland, a bit bitter with a watery feel on the palate. Somewhat watery and flat. Goes well with fajitas, chips, and salsa...that's about it.

09-02-2008 23:30:06 | More by mtstatebeer
bigdeuce

3.38/5  rDev +1.2%

This is a fine macro lager, believe it or not. It looks like a macro, heavily carbonated with a soapy head that disappears right away. Smell is nothing special. Dry, corny, esthers come through. Pretty decent coloring, however, deep dark red/black coloring. Tastes really good, especially with a burrito. Pretty malty, weak body, and no aftertaste. Not a bad beer.

08-31-2008 20:29:46 | More by bigdeuce
dmamiano

3.23/5  rDev -3.3%

poured medium brown, almost reminding me of root beer. good head, carbonation and not much left in lacing.
smell was mild, breif hints of chocolate, burnt wood and a hint of charcoal.
Taste was thin on the mouth, but not bad flavorwise. A bit reminiscient of a mild porter with slight twinges of chocolate and roastiness.
Not bad, but not good either

08-30-2008 18:19:51 | More by dmamiano
OlieIPA

2.55/5  rDev -23.7%

Had a few sips of this beer at Chipotle with PatronWizard (one cool mo-fo I might add) the other day. And yes...I said Chipotle.

A: Brown to copper color. Drank straight from the bottle, so I can't tell you much more than that.

S: Slight caramel malts; couldn't tell what else was in it.

T: Not much taste at all, but not bad...kind of hard to explain. Taste like it smells is the best explaination.

M: Light-body with ample amount of carbonation.

D: Fairly easy

Overall: Even though this is a cheapy beer, its not too bad for a Mexican Ale. Probably won't order it again, but if your stuck between a Corona, Tecate or this...I would definitely choose this one.

08-25-2008 00:58:38 | More by OlieIPA
changeup45

2.98/5  rDev -10.8%

Certainly a little different than the other Mexican beers I've had. Poured a deep amber color, a small white head and hardly any lacing at all. Richer flavors than many other Mexican beers: malty, caramel flavors, some grain. The finish is rather bland. I wouldn't put a lime in this one (was served with one). Not a bad beer, went pretty well with the Mexican dish I had.

08-23-2008 21:31:27 | More by changeup45
PatronWizard

3.13/5  rDev -6.3%

Had with my chicken enchilada at the Cantina Express. Dude tried to pour it for me, I said "I got it." Lay off my beer man.

Poured. Wow, its dark beer. Nice fluffy head, but gone in a flash.

I just cannot get a scent. Stupid yet wonderful enchilada.

Light taste of malts, caramel. I'm talking light. Maybe one other unidentifiable flavor. Not great but not bad. I would definitely get one in a Mexican restaurant (just did).

Easily drinkable. Great if you want to look like you're drinking a dark beer with out all the bothersome flavor.

Overall: marginal, average, run of the mill, so-so, OK, alright, fair to middling, ...

08-19-2008 06:10:53 | More by PatronWizard
BoSox5902

4.38/5  rDev +31.1%

probably my favorite dark beer, next to newcastle of course. first time i had it i was in detroit and my boss bought it, and i thought it looked cheap because of the stupid tin foil on the top of the bottle, and i had never heard of it. so he let me try one of his and it tasted just like it smelled DELICIOUS! about a week later i had to pick some of it up it was that good.

08-12-2008 04:03:28 | More by BoSox5902
glid02

Georgia

3.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Got this while at a Mexican restuarant in downtown Atlanta.

Pours a decent brown color, completely clear, with a white head that almost immediately dissipates into a very thin ring of bubbles around the glass. No lacing.

Smells like almost every other Mexican beer. It's got just the tiniest bit more of malt aroma.

Tastes the same as it smells. A little bit of hop bitterness at the end. Dry ending.

Mouthfeel is a little bit thicker than others of the same style. Carbonation is decent, and it goes down smoothly enough.

Drinkability is alright. Better than average for what it is.

I've had this a lot before, but usually when I get Mexican beer I'll go for the lighter ones. After revisiting it however, I might start getting this instead.

08-12-2008 03:32:18 | More by glid02
clayrock81

3.03/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a light brown with a quickly receeding one-finger head; smell is faint but decent - at least it isn't metallic or grainy like other cheap imports south of the border. Light to medium-bodied, this beer goes down smooth while delivering a little bit of a hop bite. Some semi-sweet malts in there, but they quickly fade for a somewhat dry backbite. A nice beer to enjoy on a hot day, nothing else.

08-11-2008 11:57:32 | More by clayrock81
auxiliary

Rhode Island

3.7/5  rDev +10.8%

appearance - Brown color with lots of carbination. Head went to a ring.

smell - Smells of malt and caramel here.

taste - This is really good for a Mexican ale. The caramel isn't as strong on the tongue that it is at the nose, but the malt flavor steps up a bit and holds its own. This is not exceptional quality by any means, but the flavors are professional and right along lines with the style.

mouthfeel - Medium-light body.

drinkability - Very easy drinking, not bad for a lager. I was surprised. I didn't think I was going to like this and I did.

08-11-2008 03:46:34 | More by auxiliary
ljbrisson

2.45/5  rDev -26.6%

Comes in a short, squat bottle. Pretentious gold foil covers a disappointingly blank bottlecap.

Pours a burnt caramel into a pint glass with a thin head which immediately disappears, leaving no lacing to speak of.

Aroma of yeast, malt, suggestions of grapes, ginger. Reminds me of a wine cooler.

Mouthfeel seems a little slick to me with medium carbonation. A little chewy.

The aroma is deceiving. Taste is of yeast, bitter hops, and... alcohol fumes. Odd since this is not a high alcohol content beer. I do not find the fruity sweetness presented in the aroma anywhere in the taste of this brew, which surprises me. Finishes with a distinct alcoholic flavor, and the tiniest bit of hop bitterness. I am not inclined to try this again.

08-08-2008 15:42:25 | More by ljbrisson
eweneek83

3.95/5  rDev +18.3%

A: Pours a very dark brown with minimal sized head. Doesn't appear very thick, not bad.

S: Actually a very good smell. Can smell dark malts. Very crisp smell, surprised me for a Mexican beer.

T: Very good taste as well. Can taste the dark chocolate malts. A pretty dry beer, with a nice little malty aftertaste. a bit like a stout... but not quite.

D: reasonably high drinkability. Not overwhelming or heavy and very enjoyable. would go good with grilled foods....

08-08-2008 00:45:19 | More by eweneek83
youngleo

2.53/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured to a small head that faded pretty fast. Not much lacing to brag about. Light brown in color. Smelled very light. With hints of malt and caramel. Not a heck of a lot of taste going on here. Slightly sweet with malt. Felt very thin in the mouth. Carbonation I thought was okay. I like to try new beer as everyone does, but so far im not a big fan of Mexican beers. Maybe its the water. I dont think I would make this a session beer.

08-07-2008 18:20:16 | More by youngleo
Domingo

3.8/5  rDev +13.8%

This is pretty much my Mexican restaurant stand-by.
Pours a medium brownish copper color with a good amount of foam (laces the glass, too) and a nice clarity. Darker than an amber, but not quite as dark as Munich dunkel.
Smells nutty and clean, but there's a citrus zing and no, I don't have a lime handy either. Sometimes I pick up a strong whiff of vanilla, too.
Taste is mild cocoa, vanilla, and hazelnut with a hint of lime zest. A hint of hop bitterness in the finish keeps it from being really sweet.
Goes down easy, but it could be seen as a little bit watery.
Supposedly this is a take on a Munich Dunkel these days, and it's not half bad. It has some unique characteristics (zest), but it works.

This beer along with Bohemia are the only really good (common) Mexican imports. You can't go wrong with either - with or without Mexican food.

07-29-2008 20:23:24 | More by Domingo
kinger

3.35/5  rDev +0.3%

My friend and I discovered this beer during a spring vacation in a little town about 120 miles down the coast of Baja California, Mexico. This was the only beer we could find down there that wasn't like Tecate of Corona. Very smooth and tasty. The color is a dark amber and the beer poured great into a glass from both bottles and from the tap. Of course once we got back to the states I realized that most of the grocery stores around here carry this beer, perhaps I never noticed it before. Anyway this is truly my favorite mexican beer, one that I have fond memories from.

07-29-2008 19:24:07 | More by kinger
chiefydawg

3.53/5  rDev +5.7%

From notes last year before I got more into brewing and rating beers...

A: Dark amber color, with sparse head and decent effervescence. Not great head retention.

S: Not much smell. Some slight dry biscuity malt and the usual "foreign" smell that can come from lighter imports.

T: Not too bad. Some maltiness with a slight tang from the bit of hops in there. There's still an adjunct macro taste, but I believe that's part of the game here. The bit of tasteful roastiness is what sets this up a notch for me and lets me know I'm drinking a real beer.

M: Though there isn't much to it, this is a drinkable beer that still has some substance.

D: Could happily quaff several of these session beers - and without the citrus now!

07-25-2008 02:27:36 | More by chiefydawg
orangemoustache

3.25/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a dark amber with some nice red highlights and a soft bone head that leaves some spotty lace as it vanishes.The nose smells like an old wood trunk,some caramel notes are in there as well.This has more flavor than others I've had from across the border,not a lot of flavor,just more than I am used to.Some lightly toasted breads,and nice subtle nuttiness,maybe some almond and vinnila(nice).The moutfeel is very light and smoothe even velvety.My first time having the Negra was enjoyable,now I need Fajitas!

07-19-2008 22:37:28 | More by orangemoustache
donaldchapman

3.58/5  rDev +7.2%

A - Dark golden color with a slight head.
S - Some malty vienna notes present.
T - Toasty rich malt notes, with a clean lager character, and subtle bitterness.
M - Good body with a appropriate level of carbonation leaves a gentle finish.

This is a pretty good beer, and a great example of Vienna lager. It's malty, clean, and crisp, great for a hot summer day.

07-14-2008 17:09:39 | More by donaldchapman
ectomorph

Tennessee

2.85/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured into a pilsner glass at Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant.

A - Dark chocolate in color with little head/lacing.

S - Some malty aromas but overall faint smell

T - Much lighter and crisp than expected. Maltier as well.

M - Watery Mexican beer.

D - Of the choices available there, it worked out pretty good, but I won't be adding it to the fridge anytime soon...

07-13-2008 01:15:36 | More by ectomorph
Shaggy9356

3.78/5  rDev +13.2%

This is a good summer session beers. Refreshing and crisp. It has more flavor than Corona or Dos Equis. Good with or without a lime. Tastes (and pours) a bit like cola soda. Dark malts with light hop presence. Not all beers need to be complex or extreme. Sometimes, its nice to just have something to just kick back with that is still much better than most macro swill like bud or coors. This is probably my favorite mexican beer.

07-09-2008 03:29:08 | More by Shaggy9356
tab021

3.55/5  rDev +6.3%

A - red/brown color with a quickly dissipating head

S - a slight sweetness and a bit of citrus as well

T - not what I expected from a "dark" beer at all. More of a slightly toasted taste with little bitterness.

M - medium carbonation with a light body. does not have the feel of a dark beer...

D - easy to drink. it won't blow you away with its new and fantastic taste, but I can see taking 3 or 4 away in a night and being happy with that.

07-06-2008 13:28:39 | More by tab021
dsa7783

4.15/5  rDev +24.3%

Single, twelve ounce bottle copped from Sparrow Wine and Liquors in Hoboken...
An aggressive pour resulted in a tawny, ruby-red, dark amber hue with a minimal head and very little lacing...
A fresh, caramel, malty aroma replete with figs, prunes, and a hint of vanilla cream...
Taste was rendolent of dark, candied sugars, with a strong malt backbone and a hint of honey mollasses...
Medium to light bodied mouthfeel, extremely easy level of drinkability with a sweet finish...
Great stuff...
Recommended...

06-30-2008 11:30:55 | More by dsa7783
Teke0611

3.68/5  rDev +10.2%

Served on tap at the Riu Palace in Playacar. At many of the bars in the resort, it was served too cold, but that's okay considering the hot weather. Looked great, be it in a normal glass or a (gasp) hard plastic 10oz glass at the swim-up bar. Hard to tell the smell really, I think they don't quite know what beer-clean means. Taste was okay if it wasn't freezing, and it was very drinkable, many after the other.. Glad the resort was all inclusive, or I might have spent a fortune!

06-19-2008 23:09:44 | More by Teke0611
nem2006

3.2/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. Poured an amber-brown. clear with not much carbonation visible. Had a nice quarter inch head which ended up as just some suds on the top of the beer after a little while.

A sweet smelling malty beer with a hint of caramel in my opinion. It is a light to medium bodied beer without much depth to the taste. But still a good beer to drink with mexican food.

Overall an average beer. Would not drink it much outside of a mexican restaurant.

06-18-2008 03:43:46 | More by nem2006
Negra Modelo from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.