Negra Modelo - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Negra ModeloNegra Modelo

good

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Vienna Lager |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Negra Modelo Alström Bros
Bitterbill

Wyoming

3.53/5  rDev +5.7%

This pours a clear deep amber brown with an inch of foam that quickly shrinks to a fine broken layer with some lacing.

The smell is very light. Just a bit of grain mixed with sweet malt.

The taste has light notes of caramel malt and a light hop bitterness, especially in the finish. Very noncomplex beer but...it's a very smooth drinker and it is very easy to put a couple away in short order. It is quite good for what it is so I can't knock it much.

11-09-2008 18:41:13 | More by Bitterbill
coalcracker

2.93/5  rDev -12.3%

Appearance: Darker gold in color with fizzy carbonation that does not last for long. Little lacing.
Smell: Not much in the way of aroma- some light maltiness for the most part.
Taste: A bit robust upon first taste, then thins a little towards the end of the taste with a little hop bitterness and a grainy overall flavor quality. Clean finish, though I notice a slight metallic aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Overall a bit thin.
Drinkability: Drank this without food- I hear it goes well with Mexican. Nonetheless, a decent lager that can be a nice change-up from some of the macro offerings.

11-08-2008 03:29:59 | More by coalcracker
Douglas88

Utah

3.35/5  rDev +0.3%

I really like this beer, it has a ton of things to love; a great taste that hints of burnt caramel and coffee, a good head, and is easy to find. I have enjoyed this for years, it is not equal to many others, but it is still very enjoyable. I had a sixer of this in Sedona, Arizona and it was just perfect. Pours a dark amber color with a large thick white head.

11-08-2008 00:17:07 | More by Douglas88
benclimbs

3.68/5  rDev +10.2%

Its funny that i'm reviewing modelo, but my mexicano co-worker just brought a sixer to my office (after losing a bet that obama would win!) and i'm sitting here enjoying what i consider the best and only complex mexican beer. Great with a burrito, camarones a la diabla or any mexican food.
It still tastes like a mexican lager, but with body, a bit of caramel, and a nice malt finish, and a little bit of alcohol. super drinkable, almost reminds me of a weak bodied amber ale.

11-06-2008 01:37:34 | More by benclimbs
oriolesfan4

Maryland

3.36/5  rDev +0.6%

Wow, what a great find here.

This is a great Mexican beer.. don't like things like Corona or Landshark fool you. Pours a nice dark brown with a faint aroma, which is basically the only knock on it. Other than that, the rest is gravy. Has such a smooth mouthfeel with a nice malty/hoppy taste that finishes so smooth. It doesn't have as much flavor as other darker beers out there but it makes up for it drinkability.

10-22-2008 23:16:43 | More by oriolesfan4
Beernoisseur

Utah

3.2/5  rDev -4.2%

I really enjoy this beer. It was one of the first beers that I actually liked by the end of the bottle. It was complex enough so as to be interesting, but not so much that it drove me away.

For a dark beer, it's surprisingly mellow in terms of flavor. The first time I had it, I appreciated that a lot. now that I've had it again recently, I like that I don't have to commit to it in order to have a good experience. Great with street tacos!

10-18-2008 06:48:20 | More by Beernoisseur
mrkc

Alaska

3.73/5  rDev +11.7%

A dark burgandy with light carbonation that almost immediatly seems to fade. Little head retention. Smells of yeast with a slight under current of spices. Taste is viscous, cool and creamy across the tongue. It has a light oaken notes, with a light nuttiness and sweet undercurrent. Not a very strong tasting beer. There's a delayed, slightly bitter aftertaste that fades quickly. Drinkability is high, because its inoffensive play in the mouth, and because it doesn't bludgeon you with with flavour or alcohol.

10-11-2008 01:31:16 | More by mrkc
kshankar

District of Columbia

3.4/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance: Brown with a reddish tinge to it. Pretty typical for this style. The foam isn't very prominent.

Aroma: Malts and some hints of coffee. Malts seem to be caramel.

Taste: Caramel malts, some sweetness. Its pretty mild, however. Some bitterness in the finish, very little though.

Mouthfeel: Thin, but goes down well. It isn't too bad, but you'd expect a fuller body from this, maybe a more complex body than it has.

Drinkability: Its okay for the style, but I'd probably reach for the Dos Equis Amber or the Sam Adams Boston Lager first. Light enough to drink a couple of, but the taste isn't good enough to keep me coming back for more.

09-27-2008 03:43:05 | More by kshankar
TenEighty

3.63/5  rDev +8.7%

A: I was at Chipotle with my steak burrito, and I ordered this, not the first time I've had it, but it had been a while since the last time. I didn't have a glass to pour it into so, no color description.

S: It has the smell of malts and a hint of coffee and coca.

T: Distinct maltyness with a slight coffee aftertaste.

M: Very smooth for a darker beer makes this appealing to me.

D: I wouldn't have more than one of these, but it paired very well with my steak burrito.

09-23-2008 16:10:51 | More by TenEighty
DIM

2.98/5  rDev -10.8%

a: This was a clear, very dark brown. It poured with a medium sized head that was gone fairly quickly.

s: Very little to speak of, some corny grains maybe?

t: Again, not much going on. Mostly a generic, corny, macro taste, but not as offensive.

m: Thin and fizzy.

d: Every now and then in a Mexican restaurant.

09-05-2008 09:48:06 | More by DIM
mtstatebeer

2.7/5  rDev -19.2%

12 oz. bottle. Pours a clear brown color with a small off-white head that diminishes immediately. Decent aroma of roasted malt and a bit of bread. Tasted bland, a bit bitter with a watery feel on the palate. Somewhat watery and flat. Goes well with fajitas, chips, and salsa...that's about it.

09-02-2008 23:30:06 | More by mtstatebeer
bigdeuce

3.38/5  rDev +1.2%

This is a fine macro lager, believe it or not. It looks like a macro, heavily carbonated with a soapy head that disappears right away. Smell is nothing special. Dry, corny, esthers come through. Pretty decent coloring, however, deep dark red/black coloring. Tastes really good, especially with a burrito. Pretty malty, weak body, and no aftertaste. Not a bad beer.

08-31-2008 20:29:46 | More by bigdeuce
dmamiano

3.23/5  rDev -3.3%

poured medium brown, almost reminding me of root beer. good head, carbonation and not much left in lacing.
smell was mild, breif hints of chocolate, burnt wood and a hint of charcoal.
Taste was thin on the mouth, but not bad flavorwise. A bit reminiscient of a mild porter with slight twinges of chocolate and roastiness.
Not bad, but not good either

08-30-2008 18:19:51 | More by dmamiano
OlieIPA

2.55/5  rDev -23.7%

Had a few sips of this beer at Chipotle with PatronWizard (one cool mo-fo I might add) the other day. And yes...I said Chipotle.

A: Brown to copper color. Drank straight from the bottle, so I can't tell you much more than that.

S: Slight caramel malts; couldn't tell what else was in it.

T: Not much taste at all, but not bad...kind of hard to explain. Taste like it smells is the best explaination.

M: Light-body with ample amount of carbonation.

D: Fairly easy

Overall: Even though this is a cheapy beer, its not too bad for a Mexican Ale. Probably won't order it again, but if your stuck between a Corona, Tecate or this...I would definitely choose this one.

08-25-2008 00:58:38 | More by OlieIPA
changeup45

2.98/5  rDev -10.8%

Certainly a little different than the other Mexican beers I've had. Poured a deep amber color, a small white head and hardly any lacing at all. Richer flavors than many other Mexican beers: malty, caramel flavors, some grain. The finish is rather bland. I wouldn't put a lime in this one (was served with one). Not a bad beer, went pretty well with the Mexican dish I had.

08-23-2008 21:31:27 | More by changeup45
PatronWizard

3.13/5  rDev -6.3%

Had with my chicken enchilada at the Cantina Express. Dude tried to pour it for me, I said "I got it." Lay off my beer man.

Poured. Wow, its dark beer. Nice fluffy head, but gone in a flash.

I just cannot get a scent. Stupid yet wonderful enchilada.

Light taste of malts, caramel. I'm talking light. Maybe one other unidentifiable flavor. Not great but not bad. I would definitely get one in a Mexican restaurant (just did).

Easily drinkable. Great if you want to look like you're drinking a dark beer with out all the bothersome flavor.

Overall: marginal, average, run of the mill, so-so, OK, alright, fair to middling, ...

08-19-2008 06:10:53 | More by PatronWizard
BoSox5902

4.38/5  rDev +31.1%

probably my favorite dark beer, next to newcastle of course. first time i had it i was in detroit and my boss bought it, and i thought it looked cheap because of the stupid tin foil on the top of the bottle, and i had never heard of it. so he let me try one of his and it tasted just like it smelled DELICIOUS! about a week later i had to pick some of it up it was that good.

08-12-2008 04:03:28 | More by BoSox5902
glid02

Georgia

3.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Got this while at a Mexican restuarant in downtown Atlanta.

Pours a decent brown color, completely clear, with a white head that almost immediately dissipates into a very thin ring of bubbles around the glass. No lacing.

Smells like almost every other Mexican beer. It's got just the tiniest bit more of malt aroma.

Tastes the same as it smells. A little bit of hop bitterness at the end. Dry ending.

Mouthfeel is a little bit thicker than others of the same style. Carbonation is decent, and it goes down smoothly enough.

Drinkability is alright. Better than average for what it is.

I've had this a lot before, but usually when I get Mexican beer I'll go for the lighter ones. After revisiting it however, I might start getting this instead.

08-12-2008 03:32:18 | More by glid02
clayrock81

3.03/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a light brown with a quickly receeding one-finger head; smell is faint but decent - at least it isn't metallic or grainy like other cheap imports south of the border. Light to medium-bodied, this beer goes down smooth while delivering a little bit of a hop bite. Some semi-sweet malts in there, but they quickly fade for a somewhat dry backbite. A nice beer to enjoy on a hot day, nothing else.

08-11-2008 11:57:32 | More by clayrock81
auxiliary

Rhode Island

3.7/5  rDev +10.8%

appearance - Brown color with lots of carbination. Head went to a ring.

smell - Smells of malt and caramel here.

taste - This is really good for a Mexican ale. The caramel isn't as strong on the tongue that it is at the nose, but the malt flavor steps up a bit and holds its own. This is not exceptional quality by any means, but the flavors are professional and right along lines with the style.

mouthfeel - Medium-light body.

drinkability - Very easy drinking, not bad for a lager. I was surprised. I didn't think I was going to like this and I did.

08-11-2008 03:46:34 | More by auxiliary
ljbrisson

2.45/5  rDev -26.6%

Comes in a short, squat bottle. Pretentious gold foil covers a disappointingly blank bottlecap.

Pours a burnt caramel into a pint glass with a thin head which immediately disappears, leaving no lacing to speak of.

Aroma of yeast, malt, suggestions of grapes, ginger. Reminds me of a wine cooler.

Mouthfeel seems a little slick to me with medium carbonation. A little chewy.

The aroma is deceiving. Taste is of yeast, bitter hops, and... alcohol fumes. Odd since this is not a high alcohol content beer. I do not find the fruity sweetness presented in the aroma anywhere in the taste of this brew, which surprises me. Finishes with a distinct alcoholic flavor, and the tiniest bit of hop bitterness. I am not inclined to try this again.

08-08-2008 15:42:25 | More by ljbrisson
eweneek83

3.95/5  rDev +18.3%

A: Pours a very dark brown with minimal sized head. Doesn't appear very thick, not bad.

S: Actually a very good smell. Can smell dark malts. Very crisp smell, surprised me for a Mexican beer.

T: Very good taste as well. Can taste the dark chocolate malts. A pretty dry beer, with a nice little malty aftertaste. a bit like a stout... but not quite.

D: reasonably high drinkability. Not overwhelming or heavy and very enjoyable. would go good with grilled foods....

08-08-2008 00:45:19 | More by eweneek83
youngleo

2.53/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured to a small head that faded pretty fast. Not much lacing to brag about. Light brown in color. Smelled very light. With hints of malt and caramel. Not a heck of a lot of taste going on here. Slightly sweet with malt. Felt very thin in the mouth. Carbonation I thought was okay. I like to try new beer as everyone does, but so far im not a big fan of Mexican beers. Maybe its the water. I dont think I would make this a session beer.

08-07-2008 18:20:16 | More by youngleo
Domingo

Colorado

3.8/5  rDev +13.8%

This is pretty much my Mexican restaurant stand-by.
Pours a medium brownish copper color with a good amount of foam (laces the glass, too) and a nice clarity. Darker than an amber, but not quite as dark as Munich dunkel.
Smells nutty and clean, but there's a citrus zing and no, I don't have a lime handy either. Sometimes I pick up a strong whiff of vanilla, too.
Taste is mild cocoa, vanilla, and hazelnut with a hint of lime zest. A hint of hop bitterness in the finish keeps it from being really sweet.
Goes down easy, but it could be seen as a little bit watery.
Supposedly this is a take on a Munich Dunkel these days, and it's not half bad. It has some unique characteristics (zest), but it works.

This beer along with Bohemia are the only really good (common) Mexican imports. You can't go wrong with either - with or without Mexican food.

07-29-2008 20:23:24 | More by Domingo
kinger

3.35/5  rDev +0.3%

My friend and I discovered this beer during a spring vacation in a little town about 120 miles down the coast of Baja California, Mexico. This was the only beer we could find down there that wasn't like Tecate of Corona. Very smooth and tasty. The color is a dark amber and the beer poured great into a glass from both bottles and from the tap. Of course once we got back to the states I realized that most of the grocery stores around here carry this beer, perhaps I never noticed it before. Anyway this is truly my favorite mexican beer, one that I have fond memories from.

07-29-2008 19:24:07 | More by kinger
Negra Modelo from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.