Negra Modelo - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Negra ModeloNegra Modelo

good

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Negra Modelo Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,886 | Reviews: 939
2.21/5  rDev -33.8%

This beer is not very good

4.08/5  rDev +22.2%

In 1997 I got on a plane bound for Mexico City. I had been trying to learn Spanish and had been corresponding with a young lady for a few months. She met me at the airport with her boyfriend. They drove me past the Zocalo and to my hotel. I checked in, and when I came down, they were in the restaurant drinking Negra Modelos. I had a great week. I had a personal tour guide showing me the museums and landmarks of a beautiful city and access to Negra Modelo wherever I went. I'm still friends with the girl. We communicate via Facebook these days. So this beer brings back fond memories to me.

As the name suggests, it's a dark beer. It's not heavy, and it doesn't have an overpowering taste, perfect for cooling down after climbing Teotihuacan or taking in the sights on a hot August Mexico City afternoon.

3.39/5  rDev +1.5%

Dark brown with three fingers of light tan head which lasts about five minutes and leaves good amounts of lace behind. Smell is mild grain husk with a light amount of roasted barley malt.
Taste is dark roasted malt with a faint herbal hop bitterness. Pretty well balanced and not overly sweet.
Carbonation is just enough and the finish is semi dry and refreshing. Overall I am enjoying this brew and would have it again. Bottle date indicates it was brewed on Aug. 2, 2014.

4.6/5  rDev +37.7%

Malty and refreshing. Definitely worth a try.

3.77/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Well, here goes my first actual beer review on this site. Ordered a bottle of this as my second beer of the night toward the end of my meal at the local Mexican place. Quickly took the lime wedge out of the bottle and poured the beer into the mug that my first beer of the night (a Dos Equis Amber which they had on tap) had been served in.

Looks-wise, this was very dark but clearly red-brown in color, though seemed a bit lighter when pouring. Not a lot of head, though the individual bubbles seemed a bit bigger than those of most beers I've had and there was still enough that I couldn't quite fit the contents of the bottle into the 12-ounce mug (about one long sip's worth was left in the bottle, until I drank it a couple seconds afterward.) I like the design of the bottle, too--that short squat round shape with the blinged-out gold everywhere is just really interesting compared to a lot of beer bottles out there.

Smell was a bit hard to distinguish at first, being overpowered by all the Mexican food smells drifting about. Later on when my meal was gone and most of the other people in the restaurant had cleared out, though, I was able to pick up on some smells that more closely resembled the taste (a bit raisiny.)

At first seemed to just have a kind of general "beer-y" flavor; more flavorful than the Dos Equis but not something that really stood out among the beers I've had before. Once I finished my food and the beer had warmed up slightly, however... things changed fast. The generic "beer-y" flavor was replaced by a combination of an almost raisin-like flavor and something more along the lines of a dark bread.

Overall... I'm really glad I gave this beer another try! I liked it well enough the first time I had it, but found it was definitely better on its own (and without any lime) than it was along with food. I will definitely be having this as "dessert" at Mexican places in the future, and might just consider picking up a six-pack when my fridge is a little less crowded (and my wallet is a little less empty.)

EDIT: Having one in the privacy of my own home right now. I notice now that the smell has a bit of an almost coffee-like roastiness to it, which occasionally shows up in the taste just a bit (blending in with the "dark bread" sort of flavor, mostly.) I'm finding that I really like the mouthfeel on this one when drinking some when it still has a bit of the foam on top, but it becomes a bit less smooth afterward. Also finding that the color of this beer and how clear it is makes it look *really* nice when you've got decent lighting. Fiddled with reviews just a bit to reflect my thoughts... guessing the score probably went up just a tad.

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass

Appearance: pours a thin white head that falls quickly. Very mild lacing. Color is a clear light brown with moderate streaming carbonation.

Aroma: lightly roasted barley and not much else. Very mild.

Mouthfeel: light and frothy with a somewhat dry finish.

Flavor: a bit of caramel and nuttiness, toasted bread, maybe a hint of hops in the finish.

Overall: light and easy drinking, I'm sure this will pair well with carb-heavy, spicy Mexican food.

3.5/5  rDev +4.8%

It is a dark, rich (yet soft and sweet), dunkel style beer that provides a good amount of flavor, but is not overwhelming. It has a nice dry finish. There are flavors of caramel, a muted nutty note, and no bitterness. What I am saying is it is easy to polish off a 6-pack on your own. Negra Modelo is often consumed with a slice of lime inserted into the bottle (although not necessary). The lime makes the beer more refreshing (unique for dunkel style beers), which is great for the summer.

For more on this beer and others check out http://joyofconsumption.com/

3.25/5  rDev -2.7%

A- Very dark amber colored. Once you had a lime wedge inside the beer, it starts to cloud up from its torn pieces. Head was thick and creamy at first, but ultimately died to nothing.

S- Scent was of dark roasted barley malt and same type of spiciness. I also detected some kind of grainy, wet corn husk type scent. There is some type of undistinguishable bitterness going on here. It's not overpowering. There was a light kind of fruitiness even before I added a lime wedge. When the lime wedge is added, that is the only noticeable scent. The lime really masks the natural scent of the beer. So far it smells nice, but do not add lime I'd say. I doesn't smell like any Vienna lager I've ever had.

T- It was all those things in the scent before I added the lime wedge. I don't dislike the beer with the lime wedge, but you are almost drinking lime juice at this point. But the beer in general has a medium roasted barley malty flavor to it. A slight hop spice and grainy bitterness shows up as well. Also, there is a light biscuity note here. Finish is slightly sweet and of the roasted malts before it becomes semi-dry. It's not Bud Light dry for sure!

M- Nega Modelo is very crisp, clean, and extremely refreshing. Mouthfeel is light to medium, on the light side. It finishes on the watery side.

Overall this is a fine Mexican/Latin beer. I have not tried the Modelo Amber Ale yet, but I'd say the darker side of Modelo is the way to go. The flavors are easy to pull out and are not too over the top. Fine beer. It's simple. But that more my problem with the beer rather than that making the beer bad.

2.5/5  rDev -25.1%

This is better than most Mexican imported beers, but not by a whole lot. Only if there's no margarita around.

3.5/5  rDev +4.8%

a: pours a dark amber with 1.5 finger head. head quickly settles to a thin cap. some carbonation streaming up.

s: malty caramel sweetness with nuttiness. slight metallic with dark fruit undertones on the finish of the aroma.

t: you're immediately hit with the caramel malt sweetness upfront. middle is somewhat plain. finish is a slight earthy bitterness with some toffee like sweetness to round it out.

mf: light medium carbonation, thin feel it it. finish is somewhat dry.

o: its not bad. i usually go for bohemia or this if thats all thats available at mexican joint.

3.25/5  rDev -2.7%

It's my favorite of the Mexican mainstream beers.

3.25/5  rDev -2.7%

Sweet honey aroma along with a nutty toastiness. Pours very deep amber with a white head. It's very easy drinking with high carbonation and a somewhat sticky mouthfeel. To the taste there is caramel, some toffee, toast and sweet malts. Does some different things to differentiate itself as a lager and I liked that. Decent stuff.

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

One of the better Mexican beers. If you want to start drinking some Mexican beers, this one would be one of the first ones I would try. There is obviously better Mexican beers out there, but they are harder to get your hands on.

3.84/5  rDev +15%

From the Hy-Vee Mix-A-Six cooler in Watertown, SD.

Appearance (3.25) : A little lacking. Cute little off-white cap no larger than 1 finger tall on top of a rusted copper colored body. Body has about 60% opacity, shadows can be seen but not images or words. Lacing in the form of one solid ring is left as the head recedes to about 1/4".

Aroma (3.75) : A sweet apple cider aroma with cinnamon, ginger, and musty grain. Very strong on the apple cider/cinnamon stick notes. Musty grain just hints at the tip of the nose and also at the end. Ginger is in the middle. A very sweet smelling Vienna.

Taste (4) : A good amount of yeast in this one. I'm getting some apple bread, pecan, a sour note I can only describe as sour wheat (but this may be a hop note I'm tasting), and ends dryly with very dominant whole wheat bread crust. I like these Mexican amber/Vienna beers. The yeast is absolutely loud and I love that.

Mouthfeel (3.25) : Zaps the tip of the tongue, and then turns watery with carbonation underneath. Slightly dry in the body, which is light. Ends dry with the bread crust flavor/feel.

Overall (3.84) : I would certainly have this again. I'm not going to rush out and buy a pallet of it, but if someone offered it to me I'd gladly drink it. It has a great yeasty body with nice fruity notes and heavy bread crust at the end. I like the bread and the yeast. A yeast/wheat flavor remains on the palate long after the swallow. A decent beer, worthy of a taste.

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I like Dos Equis and Yuengling. Therefore, I thought I might as well give this beer a shot since it's another mass-produced amber lager. Here goes:

A: Good. Nice and clear brown color. Plenty of carbonation, too. Head and lacing are mediocre, but this is expected.

S: Lots of caramel and darkly-kilned malts. Very toasty, just like Yuengling, and slightly better than Dos Equis. German hops are muted.

T: Good. Slightly better than Yuengling, but similar flavor profile. Better than Dos Equis. Toasty caramel malt, some hops, etc.

M: Good for its style. Lots of carbonation and thick enough. Very enjoyable to have on tap.

O: A good better. Probably the best of the mass-produced amber lagers.

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

06/09/12 First time on tap at Shorty's, 9th Ave., NYC. I like this one from the bottle so this was a real treat. Creamier than memories.

Keeping in mind i like light beers, This isn't something i would drink much. Not bad though.

3.25/5  rDev -2.7%

A- fairly decent foamy light tan head that lasted a good bit. Nice lacing. Clear mahogany brown. Very inviting.

S- clean, spicy, malt, ginger.

T- toasted malt. Slightly sugary. Hints of caramel and fig.

M- light, smooth, creamy. Very good balance.

O- very nice/pleasant. Enjoyable throughout. One of the better Vienna lagers available in wide release. Would go well with many meals (very food friendly), or all alone. Something I'd be glad to serve others who may not have the broadest of beer palates (i.e. parties, picnics, etc.) Not what I normally reach for, but would definitely have again.

Cheers!

Dark caramel brown in color with little discernable head. Faint aroma of dark malt and not much else. I get nice flavor of dark Vienna malt. The mouth is thin and light.

3.36/5  rDev +0.6%

A: Pours from a twelve ounce bottle an amber hue with a half-inch thick off-white head which fades to the rim leaving spotty lace.

N: Caramel malts, mild sweetness, grainy, faint lemony citrus, yeasty.

T: Crisp, raisin crisp crackers, dark toasted malts, yeasty.

M: Light body and semi-medium carbonation. Thin and somewhat watery finish.

O: Eh, Mexico, whadaya want? This is better than many others by far.

3.32/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottles at Mexican Restaurante in (UUGH!) frosted mug
Light aroma of malt
Head small (1 cm), off white, frothy, slowly diminishing to 2 mm layer
Lacing poor – few small islands of small bubbles
Body dark amber, clear
Flavor of lightly toasted malt; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl.
Palate light, watery, soft carbonation

This amounts to a guilty pleasure for me – my first choice with Mexican food. It has a decent appearance, a pleasant taste, and a pleasing palate. Overall, a decent cheap beer which pairs well with Mexican food.

3.35/5  rDev +0.3%

Look: Deep brown with ruby highlights.

Smell: Not much, very clean with some mild herbal notes.

Taste: Caramely, malty sweetness right out of the gates, with just a hint of bitterness from the hops to keep things in check. The sweet malty flavours persist throughout, but near the end fade into some toasty herbal notes. Pretty tasty.

Feel: Medium bodied and very very smooth. The smoothness along with the tight carbonation gives the beer a pleasant velvety mouthfeel.

Overall: This was my first Mexican beer, and so far so good. I've heard that some of Grupo Modelo's other offerings have a less than savoury reputation, so I guess I picked a good place to start. A very solid drink.

3.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint.
Appearance - brown and bubbly like soda; builds a creamy off-white head. Lacing is beautiful!
Smell - some stone fruit along with sweet candy malts.
Taste - expected more flavor based on the nose. A bit bland and light.
Feel - light body, very carbonated; comes off a bit watery.
Overall - revisiting this after discovering someone left three of these in my fridge. This is actually much better than I remember, but still only an average beer.

4.94/5  rDev +47.9%

Having been away from beer for a long while I wanted to get back to drinking. I used to be a light beer drinker before so I wanted to try something new and by chance, and curiosity I ordered a negra modelo. ..wow! what a joy it was drinking that first bottle. When ever I can't find it I try other darks only to be left disappointed. Thanks to the Brewers of this fine beer I now have found my afternoon companion.

3.73/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Serving: On tap into a Negra Modelo glass at Casa Bonita Mexican restaurant, Libertyville IL
Served: 15 June 2014

Appearance: A clear amber brown beer with lots of carbonation streams rising from the bottom of the footed pilsner glass. Dirty white, foamy head with good retention and great lacing.

Smell: Not much in the nose. Slight caramel/molasses malt notes along with a standard beer sweetness. Easily the most unimpressive part of this beer.

Taste: An easy drinking, medium bodied Mexican Vienna lager. A huge step up from Corona or Pacifico (the only two other Mexican beers I've had). As the beer warmed up, stronger caramel malt notes came through. Served without citrus, so that's a huge plus.

Mouthfeel: Lively carbonation and a medium body make this beer a refreshing, yet filling complement to a good Mexican meal, especially ones with pork or beans.

Overall: This is probably the best Mexican beer I've had to date, and is easily one I would get again to serve with tacos, enchiladas, or other authentic Mexican food. Not half bad for an easy drinking Mexican lager, and something I would definitely buy at a Mexican restaurant again. Much better than Corona.

Negra Modelo from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.