Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Negra Modelo - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Negra ModeloNegra Modelo

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Negra Modelo Alström Bros
Reviews: 916 | Hads: 2,970

Dark caramel brown in color with little discernable head. Faint aroma of dark malt and not much else. I get nice flavor of dark Vienna malt. The mouth is thin and light.

Negra Modelo might be y favorite Mexican beer.

Negra Modelo is very easy to drink and reminds me a lot of malta. Negra Modelo has a light feel in your mouth. While I bought a six pack I drank each beer out of a snifter glass. It's a decent light lager that's dark in color. It as a malty smell and taste to it.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Appearance: A dark, amber color. Not black. White head that sticks around at about 2 fingers.

Smell: Not much there. Very mild coco and malt notes.

Taste: Pleasant but simple. Mild bread and nuts up front with the alcohol slightly noticeable on the finish, despite the ABV. No complexity.

Mouthfeel: Thin with lots of carbonation. A pleasant fizz on the tongue on the finish.

Overall: An average drinker's beer. Can be enjoyed at anytime and takes no effort to appreciate.

Pours clear copper brown, with a very thin head that vanishes is a flash of an eye. Smelled a little acidic with no real appealing aromas. The tast was nothing really to note, very thin on flavors. Maybe some sweetness from malt or baley. No hops that I noticed. Very thin, watery going down. It was drinkable, after a 12 hour workday, and free. It looked better than it tasted, the bottle is nice enough, unique shape and gold lettering, but that's about it. I know not to buy it.

The first time I had "Negra Modelo", was my first trip to Warez, which was my first weekend at "Fort Bliss", in El Paso Texas. I liked it then, and I still like it, while my taste has changed more often than "Venom will change diapers the next few years", it still is a semi-regular in my "DBF". Deep garnet in color, the head is light chocolate, but dissipates a bit quickly, the lace is adequate. Nose is malt, light hints of caramel. The front is sweet, the top is light, the finish is moderately carbonated, dry, lightly hopped, but a very drinkable beer, and it does go good with the spicy food in the country of origin, and I don't mean that "Olde Gringo" stuff. Ranks #907 on my current 1000 beer master list.

Ordered at a nice Mexican restaurant. Poured from bottle into a very frosty mug, with lime wedge.

A - Medium brown in color, light shines though. The head nearly overflowed the mug, and would have if I poured the whole thing in. Lime floating in the beer.

S- I didn't notice much for the smell.

T- The beer has more flavor then the smell thankfully. Mostly malts with some mild bitterness at the end. The lime added a nice smooth taste as well.

M- Very light for a dark beer and fairly carbonated.

D- Easy to drink and goes well with Mexican food. Its usually my first choice at a Mexican restaurant since it actually has some flavor.

This tasted pretty much like a nondescript everybeer. Nothing too strong, nothing too watery, nothing too thick, nothing too pungent. Goes down smooth, but nothing special. Smells like malts and hops and bread, but nothing special. Tastes like a well balanced clean cut brew, but nothing special. Just an across the board average beer.

A reddish brown color with a thin off white head that goes away quite fast, almost no lacing. Aroma is slightly grainy with a faint note of alcohol.Flavor is lightly toasted malts and a hint of molasses, Mild spicy bitterness. Finishes fairly clean, with just a light, lingering bitterness. Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium-high carbonation. Much better than expected.

A dark lager that tasted fine faired with my mexican food as it kept the stinging spiciness of the meal down. Unfortuantely it had little spice of its own. Extremely smooth and light for a dark beer. This one was the opitome of average in my book and therefore, I have rated it as such.

Good with Mexican food, but not on its own.

A: dark red, but not a deep ruby, more like fake mexican jewlery.

S: A lot of malt, not much of anything else.

T: Malt carries through to an astringent flavor of chlorine and metal. Nice, if you like pool water. Nothing in the way of hops.

S: Smooth, but doesnt taste right... maybe they were going for something else. A mix between becks and corona, plus a gross stout.

D: I could drink as many of these as I bought. But, luckily, I only bought one.

Dark copper, with small off-white bubbly head that quickly settles.
Sweet malt and very light caramel aroma.
Light malt taste, not roasted at all (as I'd expect), also notes of tea.
Light feel as well.
Not much to say about this one, uncomplicated, but nicely done, a good bet for a session, or for breaking up 2 more complicated brews. Nothing special, but nothing bad, and it gets the job done. Great alternative if the only others are Corona/Tecate

Appearance: Pours a clear copper color with a fizzy head that quickly disappears to a ringlet and milky way; virtually no lacing

Smell: Vague odor of caramel malt and noble hops, but very vague

Taste: Starts out rather toasty and the sweet malt builds into the finish; the finish is dry and chalky with some residual sweetness

Mouthfeel: Medium to light bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Not offensive but nothing special

Good beer especially for price. I think it is a great one for anyone who wants to begin to explore darker beers but not quite ready to take the plunge. This is a good sampler and prep beer for flavor and color to prepare for darker beers to come. I will gladly buy this beer again and share it with my friends as well. Good job on this one!

Poured a dark amber in color with an initial two finger light tan head that dissapaed quickly to some light lacing. Light aromas of toasted malt. Sweet malt on the tongue with a slight hoppy finish. Light medium body with good carbonation. Great brew with pork green chili and tortillas.

Tonight we are going south of the border. We are headed to Mexico for a Negra Modelo. I have had this beer time and time again, and I think it’s the gold wrapper that keeps me coming back. That, or its unique taste. It’s incredible, and I love a good dark beer that is drinkable like this Mexican brew. The beer is easy to find, and can be found in any grocery store. This beer is also very popular among the Mexican population.

The beer does have a nice presentation in the bottle. It’s got a gold and black label, and that foil over the cap is nice. It just looks nice, and makes me want to pop the top and pour this beer out. Bottoms up people!

In the Glass: In the glass, it’s dark, but doesn’t appear too thick. It’s got a nice amber color, almost black. It also has a small head, and fizzles in the glass like a flat cola. But that’s okay as I didn’t expect or want a thick beer. Mexico is hot… you can’t have a thick beer that far south.

Nose: The nose is smooth, and has an almost nutty note. I like that… nutty note. Anyway, it sticks around too and as I pull my nose from the glass I can still smell it. As I take a second whiff, it smells almost smokey, and somewhat dry. I don’t remember this beer being dry, but the nose begs to differ.

Flavor: This beer drinks extremely smooth, and goes down without any problems at all. For a beer this dark, you don’t expect it to be. There is subtle carbonation here, but not enough to cause concern. It doesn’t hang around that long, but we will get there with the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is pretty boring. There is hardly any carbonation in this brew, and it sits there and just begs to be swallowed. That’s what she said! Sorry, I had to. Anyway, the beer is weak on the tongue and slides down smooth. But the flavor picks up toward the back of the palate.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is pretty weak. It doesn’t stick around for very long, yet leaves a subtle dryness on the top of your throat. That dryness sits there until I take another sip. I will take another sip, as this is a good beer… a good summer beer.

I am giving it a 3 because it’s so common. It’s good though. I will give it that.

This is a pretty decent brew. The beer is pretty much what I expected. It's got a transparent brown color witha head head. The smell of nuts and hops in the mix. It's not overly flavorful but just enough to get the idea that this is a dark lager and nothing much can change that. The best thing about this beer is probably it's color though.

Appears dark-brown and clear. Tan, creamy head with little persistence.
Smell is subdued caramel and faint toasted malt.
Taste is mild and nutty. Pretty uninteresting.
Mouthfeel is very clean, but kind of watery and thin.
Drinkability is good if you're eating Mexican food.

This is a decent Mexican lager. Way better than Corona, but not really my thing.

Appearance - Dark reddish/ruby amber with a slightly off white very fizzy head. Head stuck around for a minute, but started to fade quickly. Only average lacing. Clear body with only the faintest bubbles moving from bottom to top.

Smell - Some roasted grain and roasted malt. Sort of the malt sweetness that typifies a Dunkel. Not bad. A small amount of toasted nuts make and appearance also.

Taste - The taste evoked the roasted malt and grain. Even and clean tasting. Dry bread flavorings come forth also. Average flavors. Nothing jumps out to make the taste spectacular.

Mouthfeel - Medium/Thin. Tad bit watery actually. Pretty crisp. Left a sampling on the palate, but nothing to write home about.

Drinkability - This beer is drinkable for sure, but mostly average across the board. Nothing outstanding nor nothing offensive. Easy drinking and glad I sampled it.

I drank this from the bottle into a pint glass in Puerto Vallarta.

The beer is not what I could consider dark enough to call black so the negra is offputitng. Its more a dark amber with a hint of mud. There was no head and little lacing.

The aroma is ok, there are light malts throughout, reminded me of a bad version of a Boston lager. At the same time its refreshing to drink something different then the standard light mexican beer.

Pours a clear brown color, with a little, semi-creamy, off-white lace. On the nose there isn’t much going on, slight herbal aroma. On the palate, there is a good hop bitterness, light malt flavors, a touch of lime/lemon, (perhaps the a couple of drops of the lime wedge had dropped in, before I removed it and pured it into a glass), tea like flavors, hints of caramel too. This brew really did not sit well, and it did not go well with my Mexican dish. I had this at the Mexican Post in old city. Average brew….

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass

Appearance: pours a thin white head that falls quickly. Very mild lacing. Color is a clear light brown with moderate streaming carbonation.

Aroma: lightly roasted barley and not much else. Very mild.

Mouthfeel: light and frothy with a somewhat dry finish.

Flavor: a bit of caramel and nuttiness, toasted bread, maybe a hint of hops in the finish.

Overall: light and easy drinking, I'm sure this will pair well with carb-heavy, spicy Mexican food.

Feliz Cinco de Mayo! I decided to try the ubiquitous "dark beer" in celebration of the ubiquitous Mexican holiday. Pours a medium brown, translucent amber, with practically no head. Aromas are not offensive, nor are they memorable. Slightly malty, slightly herbal, whatever. The taste is very light, also not necessarily offensive. Barely bitter, slightly dry, absolutely no lingering finish. If you drink this with Mexican food, make sure it isn't spicy, otherwise this beer tastes like water. Average on all counts. If you feel the need to drink a Mexican beer, though, at least this isn't offensive.

2.99/5  rDev -11%

They carry these at the local mexican restaurant and everytime we eat there I have to have it. Pours a dark brown with tan head, head doesn't last to long but leaves lacing on the glass. Smell is of malts and a hop blast, a hint of roasted caramel. The taste is sorta citrus flavor with malt characteristics. Feels full but a little dull in the mouth. A drinkable beer, great when eating mexican.

2.99/5  rDev -11%

12 oz. bottle ordered at a Mexican restaurant. Poured a clear, dark brown with an inch white head that slowly dissipated.
Very minimal aroma: faint malt aromas at best.
The lager is rather one dimensionally sweet with little of the nuances of other dunkels I have tried. There was no hop bitters for balance, but it was tasty and did complement the Mexican food I had.
Surprisingly fuller bodied than I expected with too much carbonation.
The choices at this restaurant were minimal, and I think this was the best choice. It was not bad for a dark lager but far from my first choice for the style.

2.99/5  rDev -11%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark, translucent cola color with lots of carbonation bubbles. Has a large fizzy, white head that dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing on the glass.

Smell: Smells strongly of roasted and sweet malts with very slight hints of coffee and chocolate.

Taste: Starts off sweet with hints of fruit. Finishes with a mild hoppy bitterness and hints of bittersweet chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Watery and over-carbonated.

Drinkability: A so-so beer. Certainly better than most Mexican beers I've had but not such a good representation of the Munich Dunkel Lager sytle, in my opinion. You could do better but you could also do much, much worse.

Negra Modelo from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.