Negra Modelo - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Negra ModeloNegra Modelo

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Negra Modelo Alström Bros
Reviews: 926 | Hads: 3,008
3.82/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Served in a Negra Modelo bottle with a lime wedged in the neck. I got this at my local Tex Mex joint, craving a change from the Dos Equis I usually drink while I'm there. I wasn't expecting too much from this, especially given the reviews here, but I was pleasantly surprised. It has a nice, sultry bronze color with a small, fleeting head. The aroma is muted, but I definitely detect a rich maltiness. The taste was actually more complex than I figured it to be, and there's a definite bite of alcohol that hits you with the carbonation on the tongue. When compared to other Mexican beers, this is definitely at the front of the line. Overall, not bad! I'd certainly get it again.

3.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours out a pale brown with amber hints and the off white head fizzles down pretty quickly.

A sweeter, maltier aroma full of nutty notes and slightly floral.

A good malty flavor that has some caramel, vanilla and sweet nutty flavors like almonds and filberts. Very slight bitterness on the back end of the taste.

Creamy, filling feel that does not have too much carbonation.

All-around very good beer that is very light despite its billing as a dark beer. Literally.

3.82/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is pretty much my Mexican restaurant stand-by.
Pours a medium brownish copper color with a good amount of foam (laces the glass, too) and a nice clarity. Darker than an amber, but not quite as dark as Munich dunkel.
Smells nutty and clean, but there's a citrus zing and no, I don't have a lime handy either. Sometimes I pick up a strong whiff of vanilla, too.
Taste is mild cocoa, vanilla, and hazelnut with a hint of lime zest. A hint of hop bitterness in the finish keeps it from being really sweet.
Goes down easy, but it could be seen as a little bit watery.
Supposedly this is a take on a Munich Dunkel these days, and it's not half bad. It has some unique characteristics (zest), but it works.

This beer along with Bohemia are the only really good (common) Mexican imports. You can't go wrong with either - with or without Mexican food.

3.83/5  rDev +14%

Appearance: Amber / Orange
Aroma: Mild
Mouthfeel: Medium
Taste: Earthy hops balance the crystal malt.
Aftertaste: ???
Style: Nice American version of a Vienna Lager, even if its imported.
Impression: I like this beer alot, though the numbers didnt really reflect it.
Comments: This is not what I think of when I think of Mexaican beer, and Im happy about it. This is a great session beer as it goes down like an amber ale but without ale charecteristics. Smooth, clean and balanced. I just wish the taste wiuld stay a little after. typical lager aftertaste is there then goes away leaving me wanting another sip of something. Caramel is the sweetness.

3.83/5  rDev +14%

One of my favorite mexican beers. Pours an attractive copper color with a moderate tan head. Sort of a fresh bread smell. The taste is dry breadlike with a cedary peppery flavor. Not too strong but fairly enjoyable. A moderate mouthfeel. Available at most Mexican restaurants and usually the best one there.

3.83/5  rDev +14%

A: Very nice and dark, decent head and lace retention
S: Not impressed, but wait
T: After I smelled this beer, I was so glad to taste it and discover that this beer is incredible
MF: Nice, light-ish body, clean finish, slightly bitter
D: Highly drinkable

For being cheap and readily available all over the US, I guarantee you will run into this beer, and when you do, buy it, you wont be disappointed

This is the best Mexican beer out there

3.83/5  rDev +14%

Pours a dark brown brew with lots of carbonation.

Smell is lots of malt and a nice fruit smell.

Tastes like a respectable Dunkel. Mildly sweet and fruity with just the right hops. Mild apple and banana flavors present. Bitterness becomes more noticeable the more you drink it.

Mouthfeel is good.

Very drinkable, try it next time you eat enchiladas.

3.83/5  rDev +14%

Usually my dad and I don't like the same sort of beers, but he introduced me to this one, and I liked it. It poured a dark clear amber with a frothy white head that disipated. What I liked about this beer is that it had quite a bit of flavor. It had a great malt character: sweet, nutty, and caramelly. It didn't have a lot of hoppiness to it, just a subtle hoppy aroma to it. It seemed to have as much character as a Oktoberfest style beer.

3.83/5  rDev +14%

One of the best beers from Mexico and I'm glad that it's available in Maine. And fairly easy to find. Pours a clear brown caramel color. Smell is a bit sweet but not overwhelming. Taste is a sweet malt flavor, not overpowering but there, very little hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is a bit thin but not too watery. Overall it's very drinkable. I like this, this is the first time in a while I've had Negra Modelo, will have to buy this more often. It's a nice beer to enjoy as a session beer or refresher, or a nice night cap too.

3.83/5  rDev +14%

Reddish brown with moderate head and moderate carbonation. Roasted malt character reminiscent of caramel or nuts. Warms as it finishes and has a mouth coating mouthfeel.

3.83/5  rDev +14%

Beer bottle (33cl.), tasted in 2004.

Appearance : dark amber color, with abundant foamy head.
Smell : malted and roasted aromas.
Taste and mouthfeel : malted, caramel with a growing bitterness towards the finish.
Drinkability : a good beer in the style Vienna Lager.

3.83/5  rDev +14%

This represents the best of the Mexican brews. Most of which are pretty lame. The color and aroma are the first indications that you are on to a superior product. I found that the head was a little lacking with almost no lacing. One feature that I rather enjoyed was the moderate carbonation. It seems most Mexican beers are too much so. Fruity, and with just the right hint of malt, making this a very drinkable beer. I usually abstain from south of the border offerings but the Negra is welcome anytime....

adios amoebas

3.83/5  rDev +14%

Deep amber body with a finger of bubbly head.

Caramel malt, grain husk and a little corn syrup on the nose. Decent roasted notes creep in on the finish.

Really strong caramel flavor with a solid, light-roasted finishing bitterness.

Smooth, full body with the right amount of carbonation. By far the best of the Mexican beers and a damn fine example of a Vienna lager. An easy choice when amongst limited selection.

3.83/5  rDev +14%

Comes out of the tap a barely translucent copper-brown with a decent pale tan head. Malty aroma has a fruity hint (but this might have come from the obligatory slice of lime). Flavor is better than I expected, malty and strong with a firm fruity undertone - quite tasty. Texture has good body and plenty of fizz. One of the best Mexican beers I have tried.

3.84/5  rDev +14.3%

From the Hy-Vee Mix-A-Six cooler in Watertown, SD.

Appearance (3.25) : A little lacking. Cute little off-white cap no larger than 1 finger tall on top of a rusted copper colored body. Body has about 60% opacity, shadows can be seen but not images or words. Lacing in the form of one solid ring is left as the head recedes to about 1/4".

Aroma (3.75) : A sweet apple cider aroma with cinnamon, ginger, and musty grain. Very strong on the apple cider/cinnamon stick notes. Musty grain just hints at the tip of the nose and also at the end. Ginger is in the middle. A very sweet smelling Vienna.

Taste (4) : A good amount of yeast in this one. I'm getting some apple bread, pecan, a sour note I can only describe as sour wheat (but this may be a hop note I'm tasting), and ends dryly with very dominant whole wheat bread crust. I like these Mexican amber/Vienna beers. The yeast is absolutely loud and I love that.

Mouthfeel (3.25) : Zaps the tip of the tongue, and then turns watery with carbonation underneath. Slightly dry in the body, which is light. Ends dry with the bread crust flavor/feel.

Overall (3.84) : I would certainly have this again. I'm not going to rush out and buy a pallet of it, but if someone offered it to me I'd gladly drink it. It has a great yeasty body with nice fruity notes and heavy bread crust at the end. I like the bread and the yeast. A yeast/wheat flavor remains on the palate long after the swallow. A decent beer, worthy of a taste.

3.84/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a pretty full amber that seems a little too translucent for anything considered to be dark. Lots of carbonation is present with virtually no head. Minimal lacing. I'm slightly dissapointed with the averageness of the appearance of this one

Smell- Caramel is dominant. The malts give of a pretty sweet scent for a lager, but they don't seem thoroughly roasted like one would expect with a dark lager.

Taste- Very malty as one would expect. Caramel and feint chocolate malts are what dominate my palate with this one. It's rather sweet for a lager of this style.

Mouthfeel- Smooth, but nothing too special. Pretty average.

drinkability- I could definetely drink anywhere between one and ten of these and have a good time. That's the logic i use to decide how drinkable a beer is

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Negra Modelo is probably my go-to drink, when I want a beer while eating Mexican food. I actually prefer it over Corona. I think it has better flavor than Corona, but still light feeling on the palate. And obviously it pairs very well with spicy Mexican food. Though, I will say, it's best served with a wedge of lime.

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

This is my go-to beer at any Mexican restaurant. I love how this beer is both dark and malty and yet also quite light. The carbonation balances out the dark malts perfectly. It is crisp and easy to drink, but with a pleasant toastiness. Also interesting how this beer is almost single-handedly keeping alive the "Vienna lager" style. All in all, a great beer.

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

A- pours thin with small dissapating off white head. Big carbonatino through a brown-ruby body. Great color, bad head.

S- Malt sweetness with some corn hints. Not that strong. some floral hops and toasted banana.

T- Big on the malt bitterness with distinct ethanol notes. Floral hops in the aftertaste. Slight vanilla and toasted bananna. Malty with perhaps a little popcorn. Toasted bread malt. Prevailing bitterness toward the end.

M- good, thin, carbonated, just not that unique.

D- very thin and downable, I'd have another.

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

Got a 6 of these with the glass. Didn't know what to expect.

This poured a nice dark amber with almost no head, smell is clean, somewhat grassy with a touch of hops. Something totally unheard of in their other more popular beer. Taste is surprisingly refreshing, a malt and hop aroma dominate here. Interestingly enough this is quite a smooth and easy drinking beer.

Not bad at all. I'd visit this one again.

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

12 oz bottle. An undecipherable (to me) code on the side.

Pours a smooth, dark tea color. A small, tan head sticks the glass. Smell is a pleasant, crisp hop and some roasted, brown sugary maltness. Taste starts out low with that sweet malt, then drifts into a woody, bitter hop. Good body. Feel is cool and lasting. I'd drink a few of these with some good barbocoa..

$7.99 / Six Pack
JR Liquor
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Appearance - Medium brown body with an inch of frothy white head. An attractive and tasty looking pour.

Smell - Nothing to spectacular about the scent. The malt is evident but the beer doesn't have a very complex aroma. The smell is strong and inviting.

Taste - Malt upon first sip and then moves around the tongue ending with a subtle bitterness. Each taste beckons another. This beer has a tiny sweet flavor to it while maintaining the 'beer' taste that my grandpa's Kingsbury instilled in me as being good.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and enjoyable to the mouth. This is a hard beer to put down because it seems to float down your throat.

~ I picked up this brew because a group of my friends had planned a Mexican theme for a round robin dinner party. A round robin is where a group of couples cook 1 dinner. We started out with appetizers at one couples' house. Then moved on to soup at another, salad at another, the entrée at another and so on. I thought it would good to give this brew a try and I will certainly indulge again.

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

OK, not a winner. But I try to represent in every style. As far as Mexican macros (is there a Mexican anything else? Sincerely, let me know!) it's better than Pacifico, Corona, etc. Be at the beach or you'll be disappointed

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

This is only example of a vienna lager I've had. It pours a dark brown with the usual lager head. The malt flavors are pretty simple and taste like caramel a little and it has a typical german lager understated/balanced hop flavor. Has a slight taste of yeast which I tend to appreciate so as to know that I'm drinkin' a beer. Decent beer. I don't know how much it is but assuming that it has to compete with other more popular mexican beers, it's dark, and it is a macro, the price is probably reasonable. I'll definitely pick some up the next time I have nachos.

3.86/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured a deep chocolatey brown with a half inch of tan head. Nice rich malty aroma, bready and nutty. The flavor is clean and malty, a nice toasted bread, with some bitterness and hints of hops. A clean finish with light body. This beer is very well made, and highly drinkable, a nice summer alternative to all those yellow beers.

Negra Modelo from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.