Negra Modelo - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Negra ModeloNegra Modelo

good

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Negra Modelo Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,887 | Reviews: 940
3.85/5  rDev +15.3%

Got a 6 of these with the glass. Didn't know what to expect.

This poured a nice dark amber with almost no head, smell is clean, somewhat grassy with a touch of hops. Something totally unheard of in their other more popular beer. Taste is surprisingly refreshing, a malt and hop aroma dominate here. Interestingly enough this is quite a smooth and easy drinking beer.

Not bad at all. I'd visit this one again.

3.85/5  rDev +15.3%

12 oz bottle. An undecipherable (to me) code on the side.

Pours a smooth, dark tea color. A small, tan head sticks the glass. Smell is a pleasant, crisp hop and some roasted, brown sugary maltness. Taste starts out low with that sweet malt, then drifts into a woody, bitter hop. Good body. Feel is cool and lasting. I'd drink a few of these with some good barbocoa..

$7.99 / Six Pack
JR Liquor
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Appearance - Medium brown body with an inch of frothy white head. An attractive and tasty looking pour.

Smell - Nothing to spectacular about the scent. The malt is evident but the beer doesn't have a very complex aroma. The smell is strong and inviting.

Taste - Malt upon first sip and then moves around the tongue ending with a subtle bitterness. Each taste beckons another. This beer has a tiny sweet flavor to it while maintaining the 'beer' taste that my grandpa's Kingsbury instilled in me as being good.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and enjoyable to the mouth. This is a hard beer to put down because it seems to float down your throat.

~ I picked up this brew because a group of my friends had planned a Mexican theme for a round robin dinner party. A round robin is where a group of couples cook 1 dinner. We started out with appetizers at one couples' house. Then moved on to soup at another, salad at another, the entrée at another and so on. I thought it would good to give this brew a try and I will certainly indulge again.

3.85/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

OK, not a winner. But I try to represent in every style. As far as Mexican macros (is there a Mexican anything else? Sincerely, let me know!) it's better than Pacifico, Corona, etc. Be at the beach or you'll be disappointed

3.85/5  rDev +15.3%

This is only example of a vienna lager I've had. It pours a dark brown with the usual lager head. The malt flavors are pretty simple and taste like caramel a little and it has a typical german lager understated/balanced hop flavor. Has a slight taste of yeast which I tend to appreciate so as to know that I'm drinkin' a beer. Decent beer. I don't know how much it is but assuming that it has to compete with other more popular mexican beers, it's dark, and it is a macro, the price is probably reasonable. I'll definitely pick some up the next time I have nachos.

3.86/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured a deep chocolatey brown with a half inch of tan head. Nice rich malty aroma, bready and nutty. The flavor is clean and malty, a nice toasted bread, with some bitterness and hints of hops. A clean finish with light body. This beer is very well made, and highly drinkable, a nice summer alternative to all those yellow beers.

3.86/5  rDev +15.6%

Negra Modelo proves that there are good mass-market mexican beers. I have really enjoyed this beer since my mother showed me it a few years back.

Appearance- Nice dark amber color. Moderate head. Looks pretty sweet.

Smell- Not much of an aroma, nothing bad, but nothing special.

Taste- Nice dark lager taste. Fairly complex, with a mildly sweet finish. Tastes great to me.

Drinkability- I could drink this all night long and often.

Parting thoughts- In Texas this beer is easily availiable, but seems a tad bit too expensive considering how close we are to Mexico. Still, Negra Modelo is well worth the price and should be tried by those who want a good Mexican beer.

3.87/5  rDev +15.9%

Negra Modelo is my Mexican beer of choice, and I think is actually one of the most drinkable dark beers around. Sure, its taste isn't particularly complex, but it is flavorful and interesting, and I've enjoyed this beer frequently as a partner to Mexican and other meals.

Definitely something to choose if you are looking for a very drinkable dark beer, a place to start for folks who are more used to light beer and excellent pairing with meals.

3.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Colorful Copper color with small head that dissipates rather quickly
Smoky toasty aroma with a light and refreshing mouthfeel,kinda thin but enjoyable,nice creaminess, a tinge of caramel to it,not very strong but a highly enjoyable beer....i like this one very much and will have it again and again..a good beer to sit down and relax with

3.88/5  rDev +16.2%

A 500 mL glass at a pizzeria in Puerto Vallarta.

A: The lagerbier is an amber color that floats ephemerally between a copper penny and chocolate brown. The lager is rendered opaque as a result of the hues. A small head, surprisingly nonexistent, didn't do much through the glass.

S: The nose lacks some of the chocolate strength that the bottled version has. What remains is a mild grainy aroma that has a noticeable, but not overpowering, roasted aroma.

T: Roasted grains, chocolate and burnt toast define the flavor. The malty base is firm, mildly carbonated, with a strong bready finish. Par for the course, hops really don't add much of a zing, allowing the dark malts to carry the day. By far the most diverse Mexican lager around.

M: The lower carbonation in the draught version allows the roasted flavors to come through with a little more oomph.

D: Very drinkable, possibly my favorite of the trip.

3.88/5  rDev +16.2%

I didn't know what to expect with this beer and frankly kept my expectations low - boy was I surprised.

The brew pours out a very nice dark-caramel color, not black like the name of the beer would lead you to believe. The head was thin, but strangely, the lacing was noticeable all the way down the bottle - I've never seen anything like it. The smell was the normal hops and barley, but the odor was just slight - just the right amount in my opinion. Mouthfeel was surprising, the dark liquid was thick and felt velvety. The taste is what I walked away with impressed - full and rich - certainly not what I was expecting, but glad I did. Overall, a solid beer (in too small a bottle) I will be glad to partake of again.

3.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours a light brown with a fizzy head. Smells of roasted malts and maybe a bit of coffee. Taste is the same, nice malty sweetness with a bit of coffee and cocoa. A slight bit of hops rounds things out. The beer is a bit too thin for my tastes but is a good sessionable beer.

3.88/5  rDev +16.2%

When I am south of the border the "Black Model" is my beer of choice. It is the only dark beer I have ever had lime in and somehow it works - and that always makes me feel like I am on vacation. Solid taste, best dark Mexican beer I've ever had but the closest thing I can recall is Dos Equis Amber. Mouth feel is light and head of beer is pretty weak.

3.88/5  rDev +16.2%

My favorite Mexican beer--hands down.

The beer poured nicely, with the exact amount of carbonation I would expect from a well-crafted lager, broadly in the Vienna-style (though the label confusingly says "dark ale"). The rocky head faded somewhat a few minutes after the pour, but there was a persistent ring of an off-white trace during the sample.

The wonderful color to this beer is of a dark, transparent bronze. It is a well made lager, and our amigos down south know what they're doing with this product--it kicks the crap out of more mainstream Mexican swill, and gives the drinker something much more to enjoy.

The initial taste was of caramelized, perhaps burnt, malts with a nice and pleasant sweetness, with a good roasty (and faintly chocolate) overtone. The sweetness rotates into a tried-and-true blending of several malts and bittering hops (Saaz?) towards the back of the palette, though the malt sweetness predominates. The mouthfeel is of a medium to full-bodied beer, and it really is a beer crafted with character.

The drinkability factor is high here, and I would recommend this beer to drink paired with spicy chile rellenos over most other south-of-the-border brews.

Gracias!

3.88/5  rDev +16.2%

always loved the bottle for this thing. distinctive look, and a nice little thumb notch to boot

A - beer is toasty red in color, I always seem to get a pretty decent head on it that sticks around a while

S - some mixed dark aromas from the toasted grains. not bad

T - great crisp flavor mixed with some toast and caramel tones, some ripe banana hiding in the background as well as it goes down. very slight hop twinge

M - a little bubbly, but also rich and smooth

D - no problem finishing this and a couple more. maybe with some BBQ or a nice fajita spread

3.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Negra Modelo pours a nice deep mahogany from a 12oz stubby brown glass bottle. Light tan head goes to over two fingers then settles to a nice cap of small firm bubbles which leave bits of lace along the glass wall.

Nose is a pleasant malt with a slight note of alcohol. Palate is a dry toasted malt, a bit of bitter coffee and a smidgen of dark bitter chocolate.

No thin watery beer here, Negra Modelo “Dark Ale” has plenty of good roasted and toasted malt flavor to slake ones craving for a good dark brew.

3.88/5  rDev +16.2%

This is my old standby in mexican restaraunts, I thouroughly enjoy this one along with Bohemia. The taste is smooth going down, and possibly my favorite dark beer. This is best served with spicy mexican food, or just on a day outside in the heat. not too bad by any means.

3.89/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle of negra modelo drank.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This was a tasty beer. It poured a dark red color with a small head that did not last long. The smell was very malty and sweet, quite inviting. The flavor was quite good with a nice strong malt backbone and a pinch of hop bitterness. Reminded me of a watered down double bock in some respects. Anyways it went well with my fish tacos and I would drink this one again if it were available.

3.9/5  rDev +16.8%

A- So I was expecting a thick creamy head as per the Negra Modelo website, but I didn't even get a layer of foam! The color is a perfectly clear dark amber that has hues of red. There is some mild lacing that brings the score up somewhat but it's pretty "eh" as far as looks go.

S- Overall fairly mild aromas but what I do smell is primarily toffee like malts and possibly some melted brown sugar. It is slightly toasty and slightly of dark ripe fruit...plum like. Hops are very subdued and don't really make any impact.

T- Reasonably similar to the aroma, but with some yeasty qualities added. The malts are really strong at first, but then gets slightly citrus like on the finish. The hops are non-existent but the beer tastes really good in general.

M- It's fairly light bodied but is extremely smooth on the palate, with rich and plentiful, however fine, carbonation. The warmth of the flavors give it a desert like feel that is not unwelcome.

D- With the cold weather coming on, this is an ideal beer to consume. The alcohol is well hidden and would be great to enjoy over an evening....with friends or while watching the tube at home. I recommend this one and think is one of the best Mexican beers out there!

3.9/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

My favorite Mexican beer . . . and I'm not saying that to damn this beer with faint praise. This is a great beer.

Grupo Modelo alternately calls this a Munich-style lager or a Vienna-style lager — either way, it's a nice, balanced dark lager beer.

The beer is a copper-colored lager (although it's labelled "dark ale" in Texas due to our buffoonish laws regarding beer labelling) with a decent head. One of the best elements of Negra Modelo is the aroma -- it's vaguely nutty/toasy and melanoidin-rich without any oxidation-derived off aromas. It has a nice, malty flavor that doesn't quite live up to the smell, but is still that of one of the best dark lagers around. Just enough hop presence to keep the beer from being cloying, although there is a moderate caramel sweetness.

The carbonation is maybe a bit more prickly than it needs to be, but that's a minor criticism. The body is medium for a moderate strength lager.

I like well-crafted, balanced beers and Negra Modelo is one of my favorites when I'm in the mood for a moderate-strength, dark lager. I think this beer suffers, image-wise, from it's association with other Mexican beers (which are mostly, let's face it, swill). If it was called Modelobräu, and imported from Germany, it's score would jump much higher.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a brickish, earthy root beer-brown with a red-orange tint. Head is a dull, pale parchment color, audibly fizzy, with mediocre retention. There's nothing really "negra" about this beer, unless maybe you're having it in a very dark bar.

Smell: Corn, red wine, an earthy autumn-leaf edge. Hop character is fruity and citric. Malts are vaguely nutty and somewhat weak. Overall, the nose is crisp but underwhelming.

Taste: A vinous red grape taste, herbal-lime hops, and a solid, sweet malt base. Alcohol is surprisingly present. A very earthy yet refreshing beer. One of my favorites with Mexican food, and I recently discovered it goes great with Caramello bars!

Mouthfeel: Moderately chewy, frothy and full in the mouth, but kind of cloying.

Drinkability: This is a very drinkable beer, and like I said, great with Mexican. Its delicious flavor and widespread availablilty makes it a mainstay at hip Los Angeles parties (i.e., the ones I go to).

3.92/5  rDev +17.4%

The "Black Model" isn't actually quite that dark. The clear, deep copper body borders on becoming brown and displays magnificent ruby highlights when held to the light. The short, foamy white head dissipates rather quickly, dropping to just a thin creamy collar, but it does leave some lace about the glass. The nose suggests a semi-sweet and mildly fruit-tinged, lightly toasted malt. Very clean. The body is light/medium with a fine and moderate carbonation that's lightly zesty on the tongue. The flavor is reminiscent of a Vienna lager, but lighter and drier, and displays a well-balanced, lightly toasted malt with a hint of fruit and spice. It finishes dry with a light touch of caramel, a hint of spice, and an underlying hoppiness. Really well done, with alot of finesse. This, however, is a beer that needs to be enjoyed fresh. After only a few months in the bottle it's character dulls leaving a lack-luster version of it's former self.

3.92/5  rDev +17.4%

My favorite Mexican beer!!! Pours a dark colour with touches of ruddiness with little head and lacing. It has a somewhat of a toasted smell to it, and hints of toffee and cocoa as well as a delightful smokiness embody this beer. It has a medium mouthfeel with a slightly dry finish. Overall, one of the best Mexican beers.

3.92/5  rDev +17.4%

it been a while since i had this , must be the frist time i poured it into a glass , not as dark as i remember but still a great color , but thw best thing about it was it has a great smell , best smelling beer i have had in a while and a nice taste this beer would be good on a hot summer day or anytime so enjoy

Negra Modelo from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.