Negra Modelo - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Negra ModeloNegra Modelo

good

Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V. visit their website
Mexico

Vienna Lager |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-19-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Negra Modelo Alström Bros
3.18/5  rDev -4.8%

A Vienna lager with some chocolate malts, a bit creamy from generous malting. Mildly sourish notes. Medium mouthfeel. Intially fizzy white head on dark colour, and malty aroma. Better than your average Mexican beer.A tad sweet bit not overally sweet.

Sammy, Aug 06, 2006
3.18/5  rDev -4.8%

This beer poured a nice reddish-black with a small head. Good looking dark ale.

Not an overwhelming smell but a overall good scent of roasted malts and caramel.

Good tasting beer, great balance of malt with a hint of chocolate and a great taste of caramels. This beer does have a good bitter sweet taste and pulls it off very well. I believe that this is one of the best offering that I have had so far from Mexico. If they could only make Corona taste more like this.

Very smooth beer for the dark beer lover. Light feeling beer with the good overall taste. Very drinkable beer, especially with a good side Mexican dish. I will sure have this brew again.

Beertroop, Apr 03, 2007
3.18/5  rDev -4.8%

Notes from my trip to Cancun a few months back.

Light fizzy head fades med pace, clear auburn molasses brown color.

Nose pretty much macro lager, cheap macro lager malts, a little bit of darker malts and crystal malts but not much, light skunk.

Taste light caramel, hit of mocha and cocoa, crystal malts, light lager, just a hint skunk and cheap lager, hint of earthy hops, light fruity lager, juicy creamy malt. Finish is dry and a bit crisp, bit more darker malts and lager fruits.

Mouth is med to a but lighter bodied, decent carb.

Overall not bad, better than most beers you can get in Mexico, although still cheap tasting and slightly skunked, with unhappy yeast lager flavors.

jlindros, May 22, 2012

Tuesday jan 19, 2010

got the 12 oz bottle, just becuase it was on sale.

a: poured into my new belgium goblet: deep red brew
1.5 finger head but thin - dissipates quickle

s a bit metallic not much to the nose...

t: not to much going on here either:
carbonation is a bit much, I can taste a hoppy backgrtound this has just a hint of a bad wine undertone.

m: carbonation mostly dominated, no alcohol bite

d: very drinkable, but no draw here. probably woudlnt bother to reach for another , but if I have a six pack I would finish it. not likely that will ever happen!
LOL not all that bad, just not really good either.

burnerfinger, Jan 20, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -4.8%

People are starting to wonder about my wandering so far afield from The CANQuest (TM), bottle be off of this kick before long, I promise you. In fact, I am to take a delivery of CANs later today!

I got a disappointingly-less than a finger of light-tan head with such poor retention that I began to wonder if I had done something to make it go away so quickly. Bye! Color was an orangish-amber, but definitely NOT ruby, and with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a pleasant malty bitterness, but nothing earth-shattering. I am having a difficult time buying into this being one of the top rated beers of the style. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, approaching creaminess with a pleasant sweetness on the tongue. Finish was likewise pleasantly sweet, but not enough to really wow me.

woodychandler, Jul 01, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -4.8%

A. Pours clear orange/ brown with a small creamy white head that sticks around as a nice cap.

S. Light caramel malt with mild hop bitterness.

T. Not a whole lot going on here. Sweet caramel malt with a touch of somewhat spicy hoppiness.

M. Crisp fairly high carbonation with a fairly thin body.

D. Not an incredible beer, but a good easy drinker.

BeerAndBourbon, Mar 18, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -4.8%

Beer poured from bottle into hour-figure Pint glass

A - Beer poured with a one finger white colored foam; held well; no lacing; appearance of thin body and very subtle appearance of carbonation was visible in the dark brown, almost black, colored body

S - Grains and corn; subtle notes of roasted malts; some yeasty or fruit sweetness

T - Some mild sweetness; more flavor packed than the rest of the Mexican beer; grain and corn; lager "airiness" to it

M - Thin and watery; needs more body, doesn't make the palate feel "alive" with activity; typical adjunct type lager

D - Good drink if you have limited options, especially if you're at a Mexican style restaurant, its either this or Dos Equis; good for the summer time

ferrari29, May 28, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -4.8%

This one pours an amber color with a small tan head that quickly dissipates and leaves almost no lacing on the glass. The aroma was a little hoppy with some small hints of malt, but nothing very strong. The body is pretty thin. This one was surprisingly easy to drink for a Mexican beer and I liked it better than a lot of the other Mexi beers I've had. Nothing too wonderful to point out in the taste, but it is enjoyable.

clvand0, Oct 21, 2003
3.18/5  rDev -4.8%

Purchased from Target in Jones Valley, Huntsville, AL.

Not much to say here. I drink these on occasion at Mexican restaurants, but for the most part... eh.

Deep red, almost black coloration with thin wispy head. Clear body, little carbonation.

Sweet, syrupy aroma with a nice malt backbone. No real complexity, but decent as it goes, and perhaps a bit unexpected for a Vienna Lager.

Very sweet, almost coffee flavor. Strong maltiness present in flavor, a bit of yeast in the aftertaste, but the main ingredient here is that syrupy sweetness. No hops at all in flavor profile.

Reasonably thin mouthfeel -- enough to make itself felt, but not enough to make me really like it.

Overall, this is an "eh" beer. I like it all right, but don't buy it for home consumption. I'm glad I only bought a single.

danielharper, Dec 01, 2005
3.18/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured into mug. Lime was removed prior to that (I'm not sure why the lime was served with this -- it's not a "fruit me" kind of beer).

A: Pours a rich chocolatey brown with good light tan head. Head is fluffy, sticks around for a while, and eventually becomes very light lacing and a few random foam islands.

S: I'm not getting much here. There's a slight malty sweetness, a slight caramel aroma. There's a light graininess in there, but what aroma is there is lightly sweet. Low score is because I shouldn't have to practically dip my nose in the beer to detect any aroma, but here we are.

T/M: Malt. Bit of light crusty bread, some light cereal grain and some sweet caramel/chocolate malt. No bitterness at all. Mouthfeel is light and crisp.

D: I tend to lump this in with Dos Equis, in that the only time I drink either is when I'm at a Mexican restaurant and I choose one or the other. Negra Modelo is darker than XX, not as sweet, a bit more herbal, and cleaner in the finish. XX, while not hoppy, is hoppier than this. Choose accordingly, I guess. I enjoy both when I'm out at a Mexican place, but never keep them around at home.

rarevos, Jan 13, 2007
3.18/5  rDev -4.8%

It is really interesting getting a lager from Mexico and tasting German malts in the preparation. This is the first time I have had a Negra Modelo, and I thought, "Why not?"

Overall this beer is very thin. There isn't any body, and even less foam. The color is a very light brown.

The flavor is subtle... and that is the nice way of saying that you have to work hard to pick up the flavoring in this beer. It tastes good, but it is very watered down in the flavoring.

The smell is decent, but it gets bad after warming. I would suggest that you only smell it off the initial pour.

It is a decent beer, but I only recommend it for entry level lager drinkers.

ummswimmin, Aug 08, 2011
3.19/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Nondescript brown. 1/4" head fades fairly quickly with no lacing.

Faint odor hard to place (our pourer said "caramely").

Starting cold it had a very subdued flavor (almost flavorless?) up front with a strong malty finish. As it warmed up the flavor started to show more and it "stings" the tongue a little instead of just rolling down.

Surprisingly not bad and a _lot_ better as it warms. We wouldn't buy it but we'd certainly drink it over a lot of other things we've tasted.

Bernoulli, Feb 07, 2014
3.2/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. Poured an amber-brown. clear with not much carbonation visible. Had a nice quarter inch head which ended up as just some suds on the top of the beer after a little while.

A sweet smelling malty beer with a hint of caramel in my opinion. It is a light to medium bodied beer without much depth to the taste. But still a good beer to drink with mexican food.

Overall an average beer. Would not drink it much outside of a mexican restaurant.

nem2006, Jun 18, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -4.2%

served in a mug from a brown bottle 12oz at the mexician restraunt.

Dark amber,coppery,reddish hue,clear.slighty off-white head,dissapated quickly.
The aroma was fruity,clean,hints of choclate,carmell,slightly winey,overall a faintness in the aroma.
The taste was fruity,winey,bisquity,slight chocolate.no real hop presence.nothing to really get excited about.
A light to medium mouthfeel,smooth and refreshing.
Very drinkable,not bad just a bit dull.Would not buy this beer but would not turn down a free one either.

jcdiflorio, Nov 11, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -4.2%

A very clear dark brown, big initial head that calms quickly -- like an American macro. Muted aroma at best, mostly of malt. One/two flavor profile -- malt, then hop flavor. Neither is extraordinary, almost deliberately practiced to be non-offensive. Fairly good mouthfeel, helped by a lack of over-carbonation. The malt sweetness seems to dominate but is lacking as far as interesting tastes. An OK beer, in my opinion, but one lacking in the complexity and memorability categories.

ADR, May 13, 2002
3.2/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a dark amber color with a small white head that dissapates almost instantly. Smell is lightly sweet malt, slightly fruity esters, and a diacetyl background. Taste is a clean graniness with a hint of buttery diacetyl, pretty standard mexican dark lager, better than corona (or corona clones) for sure, i would pick this if they didnt has dos equis. The mouthfeel is smooth and crisp with a high carbonation, and the drinkability is pretty high also.

silver0rlead, Jun 04, 2005

12oz. bottle, chilled.

Pours a medium amber-brown, not much of a head. Medium level of carbonation, looks like a Brown Ale. Aroma is kinda underwhelming too, just a bit of grains. Actually to me has a noticeable "adjunct lager" smell, which I don't like. Taste is just OK, like a maltier lager, maybe an Irish Red similarity because of the caramel malts. Drinkability is pretty high, has a light-bodied feel to it. This isn't a great beer, especially compared to a better German-made Dunkel Lager, but Negra Modelo is still much better than the other crap Grupo Modelo makes, I'd take it over a Corona anyday.

Sudsy89, Dec 06, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -4.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a Negra Modelo stem glass that is the same shape as the bottle, just upside-down. Markings on the bottle but no freshness date.

A - Highly carbonated clear dark amber color with an extremely fizzy effervescent tan head. No lacing, no retention.

S - Sweet roasted corn, rice, and some straw. Lightly toasted Vienna malt aroma is secondary to the adjunct aroma.

T - Amber malts in conjunction with sweet corn and dry straw with a touch of caramel. I can tell what it would like to be (and would be good) if it only loosened its grip on the adjuncts.

M - Highly effervescent and light bodied with a sharp carbonation crispness to the finish.

D - It's easily drinkable but not fantastic by at all. Very mediocre in my opinion but it goes down well and doesn't offend.

BeerFMAndy, Jun 29, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -4.2%

As much as I like Mexican/Tex-Mex food, such restaurants are graveyards for beer selection. Most of the time the best thing available is Negra Medelo, a beer I used to enjoy a fair amount back when I was drinking far more industrial lager than craft beer (although usually by default-- you know, keg parties and the like).

When you're starting off with a pretty average beer, it's a real shame when the bartender ruins it by sticking that lime wedge in the bottle. I plucked it out and poured the beer into a mug, but the lime's evidence didn't go away for the entire 12 ounces. So for round two I made sure to provide instructions to the barkeep that a lime wedge would not be necessary. And by this time, my mug, previously chilled (but not frozen thank god), had warmed up to adequate temperature.

I will at this point admit that back in high school I drank plenty of lime-infused beers (in this case Corona) at all those Jimmy Buffett concerts. So you see, there is hope for the youth of America -- I am living proof!

In most states in America, Negra Modelo is labeled as "dark beer." Well in Texas, where the TABC has decreed that monikers such as "beer," "ale," and "lager" are descriptors of a brew's alcohol content and not its yeast type, Negra Modelo is accordingly tagged as "dark ale." In this case, and the many other like cases, we can forgive the brewers for what would otherwise appear to be a reckless move to perplex and misinform the casual beer drinker. Call it consumer protection, Texas style.

So not only is Negra Modelo (hereafter referred to as "NM") not only not "ale," but it is not really "dark," either. It's slightly browner and darker than Sam Adams Boston Lager, but just as crystal clear. As such, it's actually a pretty good-looking beer. There is just about nothing going on in the aroma, just a touch of cereal grain, enough to let you know it's beer and not water, or a margarita... or something. Similarly, the flavor is quite light and uncomplicated. Malt, maybe a slight bitterness, but no real hop flavor or roasted barley elements. A touch of cocoa perhaps? I will say this, NM is a crisp, refreshing brew, but its drinkability is hindered, for me anyway, by how boring it quickly becomes. Then again, if I'm drinking NM in the first place it's probably because there's nothing better on hand, so I'll continue to drink it. Oh Joseph Heller, where are you now?

I seem to recall a time when NM was in fact darker, more full-bodied and full-flavored. This could just be my revisionist memory or it could be because, relative to all that BMC, it actually does have those traits. I will let the public decide.

VoodooBrew, Feb 12, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -4.2%

pours half-inch head in the glass which dissipates pretty quickly. Color is dark amber (almost the same color as Shiner Bock) but I wouldn't call it dark really. Very clear in the glass.

Faint slightly sweet malty aroma.

Smooth mouthfeel (one of my favorite attributes of this beer)

Sweet malt flavor, mostly barley with a bit of corn flavor

I feel like it needs a bit more of something, either more of a hop bite or a richer maltiness.

Not a bad session beer, but nothing extraordinary. I think it is better though on tap. (I'm drinking it in a bottle right now).

If you're in Mexico though it isn't bad choice. Bohemia is better but this is a good second choice.

jmbranum, Mar 06, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -4.2%

Served in a slightly chilled mug.

Y'know, I love going to Mexican restaurants, as I can't seem to get enough of the food, but the beer selections don't usually come close to exciting. This night, dining with the brother and father, I went with my Mexican standby. It pours a clear dark garnet-brown topped by about a finger of off-white foam. The nose is weak, comprising light caramel, light biscuits, and very light florals. The taste is very similar, with the light caramel, biscuits, and florals returning, though with a bit o' hard water thrown in there, mixing things up in a slightly negative way. The body is light, with a moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, a decent brew, nothing close to special, but pretty nice when the enchiladas hit the table.

TMoney2591, Sep 06, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -4.2%

Chocolatey smell with a hint of something like bread pudding. A hint of light spice maybe.

Taste is a little flat with a distinct cola flavor. Rootbeer as well. Moderate sweetness and malty. Amanda who is with me said it had a merlot like winey-ness to it on the back end. Agreed.

Again, a little flat on the mouthfeel. I want something with a little more body here.

Overall, a solid beer with as many good characteristics as grievances.

brandonpaulweaver, Jun 20, 2012

12 Ounce brown bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Clear and dark brown in color with not a lot of head and very little carbonation.

Smell: Nice fruity sweetness with a little bit of a grain smell hidden in there.

Taste: Very sweet but not really the fruit as I was expecting. It has more of a nutty caramel type sweetness with very little bitterness.

ruckus232, Apr 25, 2010

ApertureOfMyEye, Oct 31, 2014

Sambo4, Sep 17, 2014
Negra Modelo from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.