Modelo Especial Chelada - Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.

Modelo Especial CheladaModelo Especial Chelada

to view more.
Ratings: 68 | Reviews: 24
Reviews by TMoney2591:
2.34/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Served in a tumbler.

While I was buying the Raz-Ber-Ita, I decided to give this one a go as well, memories of the Bud Chelada debacle still terribly fresh despite the passing years. Whatever. Hashtag yo-lo. This stuff pours a cloudy pale radish-soda topped by a wisp of transitory bubble foam. The nose comprises tomato juice, salted celery, lemon zest, club soda, and Tabasco sauce. Unfortunately, it all smells fake-ish, if that makes sense. The taste brings in more of the same, artificiality included. The body is a light medium, with a mildly fizzy carbonation and a crisp-ish finish. Overall, this just ain't my bag. It's slightly better than the Bud versions, but the overarching artificial character (not to mention the tomato heft for me) just doesn't do it for me.

1.25/5  rDev -48.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Modelo Especial Chelada 24oz can

States on the can Refreshing flavors of tomato,salt and lime.

Well it did not remind me of any of these.

Made it through it but knew it would be my last.

If i had read the can a little closer i may of never bought it.

Artificial flavors and artificial sweeteners that came out immediately pale red with a salty diet soda taste. just plain bad.

The Bud version is much better with a little hot sauce and lime plus it is all natural flavors.

2.4/5  rDev -0.4%

Ehh nothing special. Good with Mexican food. Or any other food that pairs well with tomatoes.

1.86/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head and lots of carbonation. Smell is heavily of tomato. Taste is also lots of tomato, a good bit of salt, not pleasant at all. Feels medium bodied and yuck in the mouth and overall, I did not like this beer at all.If it were a 12 oz. serving, I may have been able to finish it, but this was a drain pour.

3.25/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Modelo Especial Chelada has no head, but it does have an opaque, tomato-red, extremely bubbly appearance, and a film left behind on the side of the glass. The aroma is essentially of tomatoes or tomato paste, a faint lime smell, and a bit of light beer coming through. Taste is of tomato juice, a touch of lime, sweetness, and a bit of beer flavor. Mouthfeel is medium and very spritzy. Modelo Especial Chelada finishes semi-dry, easy drinking, and enjoyable. Overall, this is very good, for what it is.

RJT

2.76/5  rDev +14.5%

Modelo Especial has done a Chelada now.

Orange and white tall boy can "With the Refreshing Flavors of Tomato, Salt and Lime."

Cracked open the can and put it in a glass.

Cloudy reddish brown colored beer with NO head whatsoever.

Smell is lime and tomato mostly. Some cumin and chile scent.

Starts out tart with the tomato and lime and salt all there. Slight sweetness and some cumin and chile flavor but there is no heat. Doesn't taste like beer, tastes like spiced tomato juice. While it doesn't taste like beer the flavor isn't bad at all.

Mouthfeel is tomato juice.

Overall it is OK. Not something that I would recommend as beer but as a beverage it is OK and superior to the Budweiser version

2.89/5  rDev +19.9%

Saw this at the nearby siete-once picked it up for a nice cool day beverage. Enjoy a red beer from time to time so expect similar. Giving it a whirl, popping the top I get a waft of tomato and worcestershire sauce. Pours to a reddish brown not nearly as red as my own red brew or a bud light chelada. On the taste this brew is heavily steeped in a worcestershire sauce flavor and not so much tomato, but I like that. Goes down smooth with good mouthfeel and a sweet and tangy aftertaste. Refreshing and crisp, something different than a high ABV hop shocker, a bloody mary of sorts. Not as good as bud light chelada, but for what it is, good.

Thin tomato paste. The tequilla is going down easier.

3.16/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

handsome 24 oz can from a local Mom and Pop satore. $3.00 Pinkish red body with a small off white head. Aroma of Chile and Italian canned tomatoes..not horrible but not good./ Salty tomato and seafood taste..not as bad as Buds version.
This actually has grown on me and I have had 2 cans more..usually as a palate zapper before bigger beers.
Not that bad really.

2.25/5  rDev -6.6%

A: Pours a clear pale copper in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation rising quickly from the bottom of the glass and faint golden yellow + amber highlights. The beer has a quarter finger tall fizzy pinkish white head that quickly reduces to absolutely no head. No lacing is observed.

S: Moderate aromas of tomato juice (almost more like V-8), citrus lime juice, and just the slightest hint of corn adjunct malts.

T: Upfront there is a light flavor sweet corn adjunct malts and just a hint of grainy malts. That is quickly overtaken by moderate to strong flavors of tomato juice/V-8 and a light to moderate flavor of salt + lime. No perceptible bitterness or hop flavors.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Slight acidic prickliness.

O: Definitely better than the versions from Bud which I could not even finish a single glass, this is one that I could actually drink an entire glass (though certainly not a 24 oz. can). Went well with homemade Mexican food tonight and I could actually see myself having another at some point in the future.

3.55/5  rDev +47.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

He keeps crediting me in his reviews as the creator of The CANQuest (TM), but my local, in-person trader, tone77, keeps bringing me all kinds of new and different CANs for review, so he deserves as much credit as I do.

From the CAN: "With the refreshing flavors of tomato, salt and lime"; "An authentic blend of Modelo Especial iwth the refreshing flavors of tomato, salt and lime. Just open and enjoy."

I will cop to a certain amount of trepidation, following the mess that Bud Light produced with their Chelada line, but this is a MexiCAN tradition and this beer is MexiCAN, so if they CAN't get it right, who CAN?

The Crack! from this 24-fl. oz. monster sounded like Godzilla's roar and so the Glug was gentle so as not to awaken the sleeping giant. It did not matter. I had beer for days! Man, it was actually viscous with the presence of the tomato juice really filling it out nicely. The pinkish foam that passed for head was extremely short-lived and I have had pop that produced more and longer-lasting head. Color was a cloudy deep-pink (SRM = N/A). Nose smelled strongly of tomato juice, but really not in any off-putting way. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, again, partially thanks to the tomato juice. I really liked the commingling of the flavors. The tomato juice and the salt gave it a tasty bite and the lime reinforced the flavor. I found myself wishing for some pepper and maybe some hot sauce to make it just a little more lively. It really was quite refreshing on this humid, rainy evening and so I did not adulterate it so that I could CANduct this review, but I would want to doctor it if I was going to have it again. People are going to laugh, but the gag marathon that I went through with the Bud Light iterations really made this an enjoyable experience by CANparison. Finish was dry and the taste of the tomato juice really lingered, so if that is not your taste, I understand. This certainly has its place and summer is probably it.

1.42/5  rDev -41.1%

This offering was a “bonus” can in a beer club case.

I poured this 24 ounce oil can ice cold into a big, clear plastic cup because that is the glassware this baby deserves. The color is reminiscent of apple juice. This offering is fizzy but there is no real head on top of the liquid. There are sour and fruity notes in the nose. The body is quite light. The taste of tomatoes and salt overwhelm everything else in the flavor profile.

Honestly, I am not clear that this is even beer – it’s more of a cocktail with beer as an ingredient.

My first drain pour since I started reviewing!

1.72/5  rDev -28.6%

Okay, here we go.

Appearance - coppery orange with lots of fizz

Smell (1.5) - tomato soup, adjunct corn

Taste (1.25) - fizzy tomato soup. An orange-y undertone. A little salt. Tomato juice finish.

Mouthfeel (2) - smooth. perhaps the best part of this whole drink. slightly carbonated. and again, tomato juice.

Overall (1.92) - Basically soup. A tomato juice with a little beer flavor. Should've had a V8.

2.98/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I was making tacos so i got this to try with them. This isn't my style of beer so my rating might be low. This has a strong tomato smell with hints of adjunct malts and a little lemon. The feel is thin, it appears that the tomatoes didn't thicken it up very much. The taste is as expected lots of tomatoes with a light adjunct beer which is okay, it has a salty finish which is what I like best. Not the greatest beer so I rated it a 3.0, it's also not the worst and it's as expected.

2.38/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Ah, yes. Another Chelada beer. When I saw this in the coolers of my local crappy corner mart, I had to nab it. Call me masochistic. Expectations are as low as can possibly be - the worst beer I've ever had was Budweiser Chelada. 1 pint 8 fl oz aluminum can served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live.

Served cold. Side-poured gently as overcarbonation is anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a half finger head which dissipates within 5 seconds. No lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a transparent translucent weak copper of poor vibrance. No floating yeast particles or sediment is visible.

Doesn't look very good. I'm dreading the first sip.

Sm: Ugh. Tomato sauce and lime. Tomato dominates. It doesn't smell bad generally - I mean it's tomato sauce - but as a beer it's disgusting. It's a troubling aroma of fairly high strength. I'm not looking forward to trying it.

No yeast character, malts, hops, or alcohol is detectable. Basically, anything that resembles beer isn't coming through.

T: Miles above Budweiser Chelada, but still pretty crappy.

Tomato sauce dominates, with complementary notes of lime and pizza crust.

Yeah, there's no noticeable malt, hop, or yeast character. This is about as one-note and bland as they come. Very boring, with a dull focus. But hey, they delivered on what they advertised. The promise of the premise is satisfied.

I do detect some alcohol. I pick up on hints of seafood.

Shallow depth of flavour. Below average depth and intensity of flavour. Lacks subtlety, intricacy, and complexity, but it does balance what little flavour is there.

Mf: Smooth and wet. A biteen overcarbonated. Light body. Okay thickness. Slimy feel. Bad presence on the palate.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, or harsh.

Dr: A poor brew with nothing to offer the discerning drinker. The low quality makes it hard to down - and my God, this must be high in calories. I wouldn't get it again by any means, and I'd caution others against buying it. Unless you're doing a beer reduction for pasta, I'd steer clear of this beer. Certainly crappy, but nowhere near as atrocious as Budweiser Clamato. A more legitimate beer in the "style" for true fans of it. So construction workers and SoCal transplants, enjoy.

D+

3.31/5  rDev +37.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Color is a dark amber tinged with-- I want to say blood, but it's probably tomato. This has the usual disappointing head of these tomato concoctions. Best to drink it out of the can to avoid seeing.

Flavor is salty and even somewhat like Campbell's tomato soup. It's actually quite drinkable as long as your expectations are in line with the experience. I'm thinking it will pair well with some ridged potato chips.

A jolly swill with a big fizz that melts away to a seriously sharp carbonation on the tongue. From the giant can purchased at some Utah supermarket. Merry Christmas!

2.86/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I gotta have me a red beer occasionally, so here goes. Poured from a 24 ounce tallboy into a shaker pint. There's no head at all (typical of a tomato beer). The beer is murky red with a tinge of brown with about moderate carbonation.

Plenty of tomato, Worchestershire sauce and spice in the aroma-flavor. Kind of an Italian spice in there, reminiscent of spaghetti sauce with a little red wine. The lime hits the back of the tongue and adds some tang. Could maybe use a touch of salt. I added a dash of Lawry's seasoned salt and pour a couple of dashes of beer on top. This produces a tiny head and some bubbles. It does make it a little more savory and puts a little spritz in the mouth feel.

This isn't bad, but I could make a much better red beer by using a potable malt liquor and adding some tomato juice, spices, Tabasco, lime, etc. This tastes like it's made with store bought bloody mary mix. However, this low ABV beer would be ok with a taco lunch. I'm gonna go throw some taquitos in the oven.

This is the best beer I've ever had in my lifetime and I'm 50 years old.

It tastes delicious and let's not forget Negro Modelo, the very unique and wonderful original.

This is the new "Beer." Better than the old beer.

For some of us, pillsner beers have lost their grip. Even Bass Pale Ale has lost it's taste over time... one of my all time favorite beers. This is something new, and bold and different - and it's very good.

It's not V8 as others have suggested... It's beer, but with a very pleasing twist.

I really love this beer and I think it's going to be huge.

To be perfectly honest, I don't like the taste of beer anymore. I only like 1 wine.

This is so good to me, I'm drinking one right now at 7:42 in the morning. I really, really like this beer.

3.23/5  rDev +34%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Why I tried this idk.. But hot sauce makes it better.

2.11/5  rDev -12.4%

Can. Poured like watery tomato juice. Smell is of tomato juice, some citrus, and there is a definite adjunct beer smell. Never had a Chelada before. I like tomato juice just fine but know this is part beer makes my body immediately reject it. It kinda grossed me out. Lots of tomato juice. Some lemon and some cheap beer on the finish (that's the strange part). Body is creamy and off-putting. Me no likey Chelada.

3.15/5  rDev +30.7%

Sampling right now on 12/18/14. Comes in a 24 ounce can for $2.39 from the local Hy-Vee. Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a 1L "BUD LIGHT" handled-glass stein that has been in the freezer.

Pours a very dark red grapefruit in color with a very small white cap that disappears shortly after. No lacing is seen except for some light 'tomato juice' streaking as like you would except. The aroma is mostly of tomato juice with a hint of lime. The taste is the above flavors with just a hint of grains from the brew with some worcestershire sauce as well. Drinkable but not as good as the Bud-Light Chelada as I actually like that one. This one is close to a watered-down Bloody Mary. Was just OK but drinkable. Medium-bodied with perfect carbonation.

3.28/5  rDev +36.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I'm not going to rate this as a beer because when it comes down to it it's really not. More of a mixed drink than anything so I'll rate it thinking of that style only or else it wouldn't be fair for the Chelada.

A: Pours a red tomato color with no head whatsoever.

S: You get some lime, tomato, grain and grassy notes.

T: Not bad for a pre-made drink. It has a decent amount of lime as it is and the saltiness is pretty fine too. You won't really taste any beer in this, maybe a slight taste of corn but the tomato flavor kicks in pretty quick. One of my Mexican buddies said to add some Tabasco to it to enhance the flavors and it gave it a nice kick.

M: Watery and dry.

O: If you like tomato juice and don't feel like tasting something that tastes like beer, you should like this. Not something I could drink more than one but I wouldn't mind having this with some tacos or a burrito. Compared to the Bud-lite Lime and others like it, these are pretty good. If you decide to try it go to it with an open mind and aware that this isn't really beer.

1.64/5  rDev -32%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

I actually created an account just so I could review this beer, which is probably the worst I've ever tasted. I was offered this beer from one of my coworkers after a long day's work. Since I'm not technically allowed to drink on the job, I took it home with me. At first I thought it was just a normal Modelo; nothing exceptional, but still worth drinking, especially a free one. Then I noticed that it was the chelada variety. I've never been a huge fan of any tomato-based drink to begin with, so I was a little wary from the start. But I thought I'd give it a go, anyway. Free beer is free beer.

I cracked open the can and poured it into a tankard, the only clean glass I had for some reason. The already-minescule head disappeared in a matter of seconds, leaving behind what looked basically like red Fanta. I took my first sip and was pleasantly surprised with the taste. It wasn't GOOD, per se, but it definitely wasn't awful. Then, as I kept drinking, the taste got progressively worse; to the point where I couldn't even finish the damn thing (which really sucked because I hate to pour out free beer, but I felt like I was going to be sick if I drank anymore). I guess it was too weird of a combination for my taste-buds to handle. Not sure if I'll ever try a chelada beer again, but if I do, it definitely won't be this one. Easily the worst-tasting beer I've ever had.

2.9/5  rDev +20.3%

Would never consider this beer cocktail a "beer", nor recommend it to beer drinkers.

I somewhat enjoyed this only because I like tomatoes and salt. It is a basic, cheap version of what it is supposed to be.

Wouldn't terribly mind having it again, but I'd rather try to prepare one on my own.

to view more.
Modelo Especial Chelada from Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V.