Kayak Kölsch - Lake Superior Brewing Company

Ratings: 113 | Reviews: 55
Reviews by optiontwo:
3.76/5  rDev +1.6%

12oz. poured into hefe glass

Appearance: Clear yellowish gold with hardly any head but lots of streaming bubbles.

Smell: Berries and caramel mix with a strong biscuit smell.

Taste: Brown sugar, apple, and caramel, slightly floral, not a whole lot going on.

Mouthfeel: Very light and highly carbonated. Quite refreshing.

Drinkability: Perfectly sessionable, crisp and refreshing and low in ABV.

Overall: Aroma and taste is a little muted but it truly is refreshing. I could see enjoying this all day long during a hot summer.

L: Pours brilliant amber gold under a thin cream colored foam cap.
S: Bread and biscuit aromas, light hops.
T: Bread and biscuit and faint fruit.
F: Crisp, medium light body, medium to medium low carbonation.
O: A very easy to drink beer but some of the German versions of the style have a little more fruit and a slight tanginess that I miss in this beer.

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

Pale straw color, aroma is mild but fresh. Very fleeting and delicate flavor, even for this style. But, retains mouthfeel very well. This is pretty drinkable when I'm in the mood for subtle malt thirst quenching.

4.04/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a disappointingly thin head that all but disappears, and fast. Color is a coppery dark golden color, just a few shades lighter than your average lager. A smattering of bubbles work their way up the glass slowly.

Light aroma delivers a nice maltiness, very bready, a small hint of honey in the background. An overall fresh and lively aroma.

This is as full-bodied and full-flavored a Kolsch as I've come across. Honey, wheat bread, orange marmalade, flowery hops...nice crisp body to go along with it. Interesting orange-y aftertaste that I kind of like...and a sticky finish that I'm not sure about, but it helps give this more character in any case.

Very easy to drink, very easy to like. A solid brew for summer sipping, just a little bit different than many typical summer beers, yet nothing that strange either. I'd easily have another if I had another. Thanks to mnwags for this bottle.

4.1/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a generic kolsch glass.

Maize bright clear liquid topped by a thin layer of off white foam. Superior retention, pasty lacing, thin legs.

Lovely (Pils?) malt and light winter fruit in the nose - floral and subtle.

Quite bready/toasty malt profile; apple skins, a hint of honey and butterscotch (not diacetyl), buckwheat, and sweet fermentation notes. Smooth yet crisp finish. Low hops throughout.

Creamy, very light-bodied, yet well carbonated.

Fruity, amazingly delicate malt bill...a fantastic example of the style.

3.38/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

on-tap at the Gun Flint in Grand Marais, MN

cellphone notes

appearance: served in a shaker pint, pale golden body, light white crest

smell: grain, lemon, musty

taste: light caramel malt, grain, musty, lemon and honey, bready with notes of light yeast. I'm not a huge kolsch fan and this isn't one of the better ones out there

mouthfeel: light

drinkability: could be sessionable - but i find the grainy finish offputting

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Definately a simple but tasteful beer here. Great for summer. Pours a nice gold with white head. Smells sweet and light. Tastes of slightly caramel malts, not much bitterness, but a little bit of citrus. Quite pleasant. At first I wished it were a touch more crisp, but I'd say carbonation is on for the style. Comparable to just about anyone's kolsch or "summer ale." Cheers.

3.42/5  rDev -7.6%

Slightly hazy, peachy-honey hue, smallish white head, soapy, limited spotty lace. Very timid nose with slight citrus notes, hay, frail hops… delicate malt hints. Simile palate, which is appropriate… slight citrus, spice, hay, hint of fruit, malt… nicely done, ideally restrained. Rather clean, leans towards the dry side, refreshing. Medium-light body with minimal carbonation… very fitting mouthfeel. The aftertaste is slightly tart… sweet though… minor bitterness too. In its simplicity is its elegance. This is not an “authentic” Kölsch be it would “hit the spot” on a warm summer day or for a change pace.

Thanks feloniousmonk!

2.8/5  rDev -24.3%

Originally reviewed April 29, 2005. 12 Oz Bottle. Slightly hazy rich golden pour, with a full finger of crystal white head, diminishing. Aroma of terse hops and esters. I’m having problems with this brewer’s beers tasting like stryofoam right off the bat. I’m getting some notes of wheat, hops, and sourness. The finish continues with rubbery esters and then morphs into a mellow lemon wheat. I think that it’s just me. I’m trying to rate this in fairness, beyond the stryofoam. I review beers that might be infected, because if that's what the brewer puts out there, then that's what I'm getting. And especially with this brewery, infection has been a rampant problem. I've had three bottles of this particular style and they've all been the same.

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a slightly hazy golden with just a slight head that quickly disappears. Some bubbles are evident at first but after a few minutes they disappear too.

The smell is fruity sweet.

It tastes fruity sweet as well with just a little diacetyl in the background. The fruit I would describe it tasting like would be grapefruit, lemons, and white grapes. A better tasting Kolsch. It has a light mouthfeel but the lack of carbonation really hurts its drinkability. Maybe I had an old bottle but I enjoyed enough of the beer to give it another try in the summer when a beer like this would be better appreciated.

3.77/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Sester stange. Pours a medium golden amber with a fine one finger white head with great retention and lacing. Aroma of sweet malt, clove, light wheat. Flavor is light sweet malt, wheat, clove, light lemon citrus; finishes with sweet wheat and light close, a hint of hop bitterness. Light bodied. A nice, refreshing kolsch style ale with the approprate light malt and spicing. Perhaps a bit sweeter and clove spicy than traditional, but still enjoyable and pleasant.

On the pour a lightly hazy golden yellow color, the head modest in size, frothy, bright white in color and the lace a nice sheet to conceal the glass. Nose is malt, slightly sweet and buttery, crisp and clean with the start a pleasant sweet malt, top is a bit thin and the finish pleasantly hopped, the acidity mild and the aftertaste dry. A bit thin waisted for me, but I think it would make a nice session beer.

3.59/5  rDev -3%

A - Pale, very light yellow color. Head fades to a ring around the edge.
Very little lacing.

S - Smell consists of orange pulp, green wheat stalks, and some bitterness.

T - More orangey goodness, a light sweetness at the tip of the tongue and a short hop finish.

M - More on the crisp side, carbonation adds to this effect.

D - Pretty good, just don't judge by the look of it. It's a light refreshing beer for the summer. Just like a Kölsch ought to be.

3.79/5  rDev +2.4%

A good solid brew with no frills. As the previous reviewer noted, its nothing fancy. However, it is a solid brew.
A- kinda weak, not an impressive show here. No lacing or head at all.
S- Pretty good some dry fruits and weak smell of hops.
T&M- nice and smoothe, thicker and refreshing, not overpowering in any category.
D- Very nice.

3.57/5  rDev -3.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Light clear gold with a no head and no sign of lacing. Average looking brew.

S- Some fruit notes upfront with white grape, pear and peach followed by sweet malt.

T- Similar to the smell with some fruit notes including white grape, pear, peach and melon. Some floral notes and sweet malt are present as well. Slightly sour finish.

M- Medium carbonation, light body. A nice crisp finish.

O- A nice sessionable beer for the summer. It's quite different from other Kolch's I've had before, but not bad for the style.

3.65/5  rDev -1.4%

Brew pours a translucent golden yellow with a thin white head. Aromas mostly of grain, noble hop aroma, and notes of grape. Tastes as it smells, I get grain and cereal malt as the base of the flavor, grape hangs in the background, finishes with yeast and very very mild hop bitterness. Feels crisp and refreshing, a light bodied, lightly carbonated, very sessionable brew.

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a golden hue but with some suggestion of orange. Head is about 1 finger and fades to a thin layer, but lasts throughout. Lacing is good. I think my assesment may be a bit off, as I dont have proper glassware.

The smell is slightly of hops with a surprising number of citrus notes.

The initial taste has some hops, but the finish malt. There are some subtlties here, but I must confess, I'm at a loss for what exactly they were.

Nice mouthfeel, not overcarbonated, not too thin, or too thick.

I could see having 1 or 2 of these, much like everything else LSBC makes, it's very approachable, not overly challenging (which is fine IMO). All in all, a decent effort, I'll need to try some others in this category before determining how it compares.

This is good beer, y'all. I'm a fan of this style - the fact that wheat beers are not high on my list of favorites makes the kolsch style a good pick in my book if you want German pale ale, and of the kolsches I've had, I like Kayak the best so far.

I get up to Duluth a fair amount, and I generally pick a Kayak as the first beer I have when I'm up there. It's readily available elsewhere, but I save it for the north country.

This is a straightforward brew - pale, uncomplicated and with a citrus tang on the finish, but the middle of a drink of it is nicely full-bodied. You can have three of them in a row, and each time, you'll know you're having a good beer, but not be overwhelmed with too much action going on.

My favorite by far from this brewer. I snowshoed into some backcountry up northwest of Finland, MN last winter, and I had three Kayaks in my pack. I stuck 'em in a snowbank while we got a fire going, and MAN, was that some good beer. I recommend that approach, but it's good any time.

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a hazy gold color with a small creamy white head. Smell is a very light floral hops, and even light malt scents. Taste is extremely light on the palate, never challenging, and very smooth. Lemon lime sodaesque, with some grainy heartiness. Good for summer, I am sure, even though it is February.

4.1/5  rDev +10.8%

Clear, golden, with white head, about 1.5 cm. The head dissipated mostly, with the foam lacing the glass. Spicy noble (?) hops, some malt, and a wee bit a of fruitiness to the smell. My wife placed the fruitiness as apricot, seemed about right to me. A pleasant sweetness comes through in the taste; bittering is light. This is the sort of beer I would like in my mouth on a warm day. One pint went down so smoothly.

I've only had one other kolsch-style beer (also not a "true" Kolsch), so I can't say one way or the other whether it's true to style. I just liked it.

3.7/5  rDev 0%

Lake Superior Kayak Kölsch, after a fairly hard pour yields a bif stiff
head over a slightly hazy honey colored brew. Carbonation is lively,
and the nose is light barly malt and herbal hop. The flavor is sweet
barley malt with a crisp tea-like herbal hop finish. The aftertaste is
faint barley with honey notes. Mouthfeel is dry and a little thin. It just
goes to show you that an ale can be just as crsp and light as a lager.
Very nice stuff.

4.23/5  rDev +14.3%

A- Poured into my strange. Leaves a nice thick head with nice peaks and valleys. Lacing is present. The body is yellow with a touch of very fine sediment.

S- Classic kolsch on the nose. Nice hop edge with the distinct mineral note that I find in kolsch beer. There is also a nice sweet malt in there two. Smells very fresh.

T- Starts out with a whack of balance hops followed by nice citrus notes of lime, slight lemon, a nice graininess with a slight note of honey. The finish is mostly a graham cracker note with the slightest dry hop feel. Very true to the style.

M- Nice carbonation stays in the pocket for the style and from first sip to finish, very authentic feel.

D- This was a real shocker for me. I was really impressed by how true this kolsch is to the style. I will definitely have this again.

4.23/5  rDev +14.3%

This brew pours a semi-cloudy golden orange color with a large creamy white head. The aroma is malty with some tangy untertones. The taste is quite pleasant. Orange with some nice tanginess. The mouthfell is medium-light bodied with ample carbonation. Overall, this is a might fine brew. It is a lot tastier than I had anticipated, and quite relaxing.

3.92/5  rDev +5.9%

Trying to keep it local, I saw this and thought I would give it a try. My first of this style and first by Lake Superior. 12 oz bottle, no dates or markings, into a pint glass.

A—pours a clear yellow orange with a ½ inch white head that quickly fades down to some scatter bubbles that float on top, laces in scattered sheets

S—a honey lemon scent is strong, sweet candy, some mild floral tones, but the sweetness dominates everything

T—fruity, banana, some hop bitterness, but mostly sweet, a little bready, sweet to start, then turns mildly bitter with the finish.

M—smooth and mellow, medium bodied, a little flat with the carbonation

D—overall, it is good. I can see this as a summer quencher by the pool. Very drinkable.

3.27/5  rDev -11.6%

This beer poured with a clear golden body, with excessive, fizzy large bubbles and almost no head. This was from a fresh six-pack, so I doubt the beer was past its prime.

The aroma is slightly medicinal with some pine notes. Disappointing.

The taste is the best part of this beer with a nice blending of malt and hop notes.

I imagine this beer would be a decent summer light-bodied beer, but I would not go out of my way to purchase it again.

Kayak Kölsch from Lake Superior Brewing Company