Kayak Kölsch - Lake Superior Brewing Company

good

Lake Superior Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Kölsch |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-05-2002)
4.75/5  rDev +28.7%

4.6/5  rDev +24.7%

4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

A- Poured into my strange. Leaves a nice thick head with nice peaks and valleys. Lacing is present. The body is yellow with a touch of very fine sediment.

S- Classic kolsch on the nose. Nice hop edge with the distinct mineral note that I find in kolsch beer. There is also a nice sweet malt in there two. Smells very fresh.

T- Starts out with a whack of balance hops followed by nice citrus notes of lime, slight lemon, a nice graininess with a slight note of honey. The finish is mostly a graham cracker note with the slightest dry hop feel. Very true to the style.

M- Nice carbonation stays in the pocket for the style and from first sip to finish, very authentic feel.

D- This was a real shocker for me. I was really impressed by how true this kolsch is to the style. I will definitely have this again.

4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

This brew pours a semi-cloudy golden orange color with a large creamy white head. The aroma is malty with some tangy untertones. The taste is quite pleasant. Orange with some nice tanginess. The mouthfell is medium-light bodied with ample carbonation. Overall, this is a might fine brew. It is a lot tastier than I had anticipated, and quite relaxing.

4.18/5  rDev +13.3%

Hazy yellow with an amber hue, and a thin white head that fades quickly.
Smell is spiced malts with some hops and barley. Clove, subtle banana, and cinnamon notes in there as well. Little bit of caramel and toffee.
Taste is spiced malts, with a touch of grassy hops. Notes of clove, banana, nutmeg, as well as some brown sugar and raisin. Finish is accompanied by some more spiced malts.
Mouthfeel is crisp and fairly smooth, with a moderate level of carbonation. Finish is fairly clean.
Drinkability is very good. One of the best takes on this style I've had.

4.12/5  rDev +11.7%

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a generic kolsch glass.

Maize bright clear liquid topped by a thin layer of off white foam. Superior retention, pasty lacing, thin legs.

Lovely (Pils?) malt and light winter fruit in the nose - floral and subtle.

Quite bready/toasty malt profile; apple skins, a hint of honey and butterscotch (not diacetyl), buckwheat, and sweet fermentation notes. Smooth yet crisp finish. Low hops throughout.

Creamy, very light-bodied, yet well carbonated.

Fruity, amazingly delicate malt bill...a fantastic example of the style.

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Clear, golden, with white head, about 1.5 cm. The head dissipated mostly, with the foam lacing the glass. Spicy noble (?) hops, some malt, and a wee bit a of fruitiness to the smell. My wife placed the fruitiness as apricot, seemed about right to me. A pleasant sweetness comes through in the taste; bittering is light. This is the sort of beer I would like in my mouth on a warm day. One pint went down so smoothly.

I've only had one other kolsch-style beer (also not a "true" Kolsch), so I can't say one way or the other whether it's true to style. I just liked it.

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Pretty clear..Big white frothy head…mildy fruity (melons)…soft fruitiness on the aroma…nice flavor…fruity with a crisp maltiness….almost a hint of honey/vanilla to the taste…medium bodied and smooth….

Damn nice beer….refreshing, clean, a nice tasting Kolsch…seems very fresh…

4.08/5  rDev +10.6%

The brew arrives a golden brew with only a wispy white head. It looks like a typical Kolsch. A few grainy notes in the nose along with hint of spicy hops. Agile and smooth on the palate, it goes down nicely. A nice combination of fruit and grain in the flavor. Hints of green apple and pear are easily detected. The beer finishes with a little spice.

Refreshing and a little subtle this beer fits in to the Kolsch paradigm well.

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a disappointingly thin head that all but disappears, and fast. Color is a coppery dark golden color, just a few shades lighter than your average lager. A smattering of bubbles work their way up the glass slowly.

Light aroma delivers a nice maltiness, very bready, a small hint of honey in the background. An overall fresh and lively aroma.

This is as full-bodied and full-flavored a Kolsch as I've come across. Honey, wheat bread, orange marmalade, flowery hops...nice crisp body to go along with it. Interesting orange-y aftertaste that I kind of like...and a sticky finish that I'm not sure about, but it helps give this more character in any case.

Very easy to drink, very easy to like. A solid brew for summer sipping, just a little bit different than many typical summer beers, yet nothing that strange either. I'd easily have another if I had another. Thanks to mnwags for this bottle.

This is good beer, y'all. I'm a fan of this style - the fact that wheat beers are not high on my list of favorites makes the kolsch style a good pick in my book if you want German pale ale, and of the kolsches I've had, I like Kayak the best so far.

I get up to Duluth a fair amount, and I generally pick a Kayak as the first beer I have when I'm up there. It's readily available elsewhere, but I save it for the north country.

This is a straightforward brew - pale, uncomplicated and with a citrus tang on the finish, but the middle of a drink of it is nicely full-bodied. You can have three of them in a row, and each time, you'll know you're having a good beer, but not be overwhelmed with too much action going on.

My favorite by far from this brewer. I snowshoed into some backcountry up northwest of Finland, MN last winter, and I had three Kayaks in my pack. I stuck 'em in a snowbank while we got a fire going, and MAN, was that some good beer. I recommend that approach, but it's good any time.

Kayak Kölsch from Lake Superior Brewing Company