Kayak Kölsch - Lake Superior Brewing Company

Minnesota, United States

Kölsch |  ABV ?

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-05-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last

On the pour a lightly hazy golden yellow color, the head modest in size, frothy, bright white in color and the lace a nice sheet to conceal the glass. Nose is malt, slightly sweet and buttery, crisp and clean with the start a pleasant sweet malt, top is a bit thin and the finish pleasantly hopped, the acidity mild and the aftertaste dry. A bit thin waisted for me, but I think it would make a nice session beer. (413 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -9.9%

This beer poured with a clear golden body, with excessive, fizzy large bubbles and almost no head. This was from a fresh six-pack, so I doubt the beer was past its prime.

The aroma is slightly medicinal with some pine notes. Disappointing.

The taste is the best part of this beer with a nice blending of malt and hop notes.

I imagine this beer would be a decent summer light-bodied beer, but I would not go out of my way to purchase it again. (451 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours out a cloudy orange/ golden color, though I expect a kolsch to be a bit clearer, and the head is decent,and white, but very short. Aroma: a bit sharp and unusual, with a good deal of citrus and a touch of sour. There's more going on in the nose, too, that I can't quite describe, but again, not what I expected.
Great hops upfront, very citrusy, with a nice, tasty finish.
Light bodied, crisp, and quite quaffable. At the end, there's a sweet/sour character that clashes a bit on the palate.
A fine enough ale, but I can't shake that they missed the mark a bit if they were brewing a kolsch. (600 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -41.9%

This hazy yellow beer throws a good 1 inch head that gives some decent lacing. This brew has got something wrong in the aroma. I get a menthonal like odor. Way off, especially for a Kolsch. IPA or PA might get away with it by saying it has an extreme pine odor, but not this style. Drinking this beer is like drinking diluted Pine Sol. Just not worth it. I don't think I'll waste the space in my stomach with this one. (425 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

Pale straw color, aroma is mild but fresh. Very fleeting and delicate flavor, even for this style. But, retains mouthfeel very well. This is pretty drinkable when I'm in the mood for subtle malt thirst quenching. (215 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last