Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Sir Duluth Oatmeal Stout - Lake Superior Brewing Company

Sir Duluth Oatmeal StoutSir Duluth Oatmeal Stout

Lake Superior Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  ABV ?

Beer added by: purplehops on 03-06-2002

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

This beer pours a nearly opaque black color. The head is small, tan, and recedes within seconds into no lacing at all. The aroma is of coffee, chocolate, but is rather faint. The taste has the chocolate, and coffee notes of the aroma, but there is also a disturbing fruitiness that prevails over everything, and makes drinking this beer difficult. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice carbonation. Overall, this is a bad oatmeal stout. I will not drink this again.

2.59/5  rDev -27.9%

Virtually black, with a deep garnet haze when held to light. Well retained, pitted tan head leaves dense lace. The aroma is an odd melange of sharp, mildly carbonized unmalted barley, lightly tart pearish esters, dark chocolate and slightly obtrusive sweet notes of lychee. Transient wash of toffeeish sweetness upfront in flavor is ensued by faint coffeeish barley and an lightly acidic, citric twang, not quite sour enough to be lactic acid derived. Understated, unsweetened cocoa powder like chocolate malt presence. Although mild in hop bitterness, the drying, tart character offsets the minimal residual sweetness nearly completely, lending an inapproriately dry overall profile. Well attenuated and lacking the glucanaceous silk characteristic of good oatmeal stouts. Finishes surprisingly clean and cleanly roasty, but that's too little too late. Although "off", the inherent tartness grew on me. Akin to an overly acidified dry stout. Drinks like a lambic, tastes like an off Bell's. A dissappointing experience overall, yet I drank the whole bottle readily. Odd.

2.43/5  rDev -32.3%

From Minnesota...Please be good. Please.

A - Dark brown to almost black. Very thin white to cream colored head that stays around for a few minutes. Anyway....who cares about head....really?!?! Doesn't really matter. It's all in the taste. Right?

S - Average. Smells like earth and soil. Alright for a stout. Nothing too great. Nothing too terrible.

T - Ok...the moment of truth. Here goes...Alright then. How should I put this? Ummm? Really not that great I am sorry to say. Sort of bland. Single layered. If this is suppose to be an oatmeal stout, there should be some cream texture, some softness, some... well, there should be something. With this beer, there isn't. It doesn't want to make me throw it away but will I ever purchase it again? Probably to mostly not. I really was hoping for more from this beer. Come on, we are both from Minnesota. Please.

You know, I think I am done with this review. I am a little disappointed. I don't really want to write any more...therefore....

M - average

D - below

I'm done.

I should have started with this beer. Now I am going to bed mad. I hope my wife doesn't think I am mad at her. Just the beer.

2.36/5  rDev -34.3%

Good price at $6 a six-pack and that’s just about the best thing going on with this beer.

Appearance: Dark Brown Beer with a white head that quickly disperses.

Smell: Dry malts, dust, a touch of oats, a smidge of coffee.

Taste: Mild. A teaspoon of oats. A half a teaspoon of coffee. Dust, a little bit of roasted malts.

Mouthfeel: DRY! Normally I would like it, but the lack of flavor doesn’t leave me wanting any more. Much thinner than the average oatmeal stout.

Drinkability: It’s drinkable if nothing else is around and like I said, the price is good for an oatmeal stout.

2.28/5  rDev -36.5%

Dark Ruby color. Barely any head is generated up pouring. Aroma is of coffee and nuts. It seem like there is a slight acetaldehyde presence in this beer. It's so slight that it doesn't really stand out like a wart or anything though. The mouthfeel lacks carbonation and creaminess. Body is light medium. This beer seems flat and watery. There is some slight roastiness and java present. But overall, I wouldn't recommend this one. However, it's not one I'll dump out either.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last