Join our email list →

Oatmeal Stout |  ABV ?

Beer added by: purplehops on 03-06-2002

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

pours a black in the glass. tan head fades fast to a brief lace then nothing.
malty aroma and strong roasted smell.
roasted grain carries over to the flavor, roast and touch of coffee. oatmeal flavor is strong. either the oat or the hops gives it almost an astringent flavor.
a bit on the thin side, expected more body or smoother from oatmeal. perhaps because of the low carbination.
a good value, but a little disappointed. will need to try again.

3.91/5  rDev +8.9%

I was lamenting the lack of local stouts when I realized that I hadn't given this Duluth brewed beer (or indeed the whole brewery) a fair shake. This is a beer that gets high marks from me. The head is a massive chocolate creame colored pillowy cumulonimbus cloud. I had difficulty fitting the 12 oz bottle into a 16 oz glass (and I'll be damned if I didn't pour sloooowly). Color is deep black which allows no light to pass through. The haed somewhat masks the aroma for me but I do detect some roasted malt. A little bit of spice on the flavor, quite a bit of coffeish notes, and a somewhat sweet-ish finish. There is a certain bite in the mouthfeel from the carbonation. Very drinkable, I found myself enjoying the beer more as I finished the 6 pack. I love when that happens. I now realize that we do have a great stout brewed in our fine state, and I beleive I need to pay a little more attention to our fine brewers to the north.

4.09/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a deep dark almost black. Little head despite aggressive pour, fairly light lacing.

Smell was of coffee and toffee with no burnt aromas, truly terrific.

Taste was strong of coffee with suggestions of chocolate, malt, and toffee. Spicy finish with a few burning notes, but not overpowering or unpleasant.

Mouthfeel was a little thinner than expected, but very respectable indeed.

Tasty enough to be consumed occasionally, but not something I would pour every day. Good for "coming in from the cold".

3.74/5  rDev +4.2%

Sliding into my glass, this beer pours thin with almost no head out of the bottle. Provides a nice aroma, but the taste hardly lives up to the smell. The flavor of this stout is about as exciting as Guiness or the like. Certainly not bad and an easy share with friends not willing to steer much out of the norm. Probably won't go looking for this one again, but I wouldn't turn one down.

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

Short on time to right a full review might have to come back to this one. Tried it once out of the bottle and it was pretty good, less than I expected from an outmeal stout but highly drinkable. Not as creamy or full bodied as I expected being it was my 1st oatmeal stout. Not overpowering in any aspect nice balance but a little out of character for this type of stout I would think (I need to try more of this type they are good!)

Crisp with a really nice roast flavor. The head isn't anything to write home about - either you poor soft and get no head at all, or poor hard and get a short-lived head that isn't creamy as advertised. Overall though a very easy stout to drink.

3.66/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I poured this into a clear teardrop glass. It really had no head. Carbonation is medium. I like the taste. It's very easy to drink. It has a nice coffee flavor to it. I would buy it again.

3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Poured into a mug, very dark brown/black with a tan head.

S: Smells of deep roasted coffee, maybe some chocolate too, also a warming aroma.

T: Starts off with a slightly smooth silky-ness then goes right into some roasted coffee and dark chocolate along with some roasted malts. Finishes a little bitter, not a lot, just enough to compliment the roasted malts.

M: Medium bodied, not as heavy as most stouts tend to be, with a little smoothness to it.

D: Very drinkable, with the body being a little thinner than most stouts and the flavors being non-offensive but still fairly robust, it makes drinking many of these very easy to do, sometimes unintentionally so. I drink this quite often, it is a favorite go-to beer of mine.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last