Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Slow Elk Oatmeal Stout - Big Sky Brewing Company

Slow Elk Oatmeal StoutSlow Elk Oatmeal Stout

Big Sky Brewing Company visit their website
Montana, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 12-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Slow Elk Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
3.23/5  rDev -5%

Pour: Deep brown with red around the edges. Two fingers of tan head that had big bubbles and decent retention and lacing.

Smell: Light aroma of chocolate and coffee. A touch of oats but very, very faint.

Taste: Sort of bland with hints of roasted malt and a bit of coffee in the back. No oats to speak of. Pretty one-dimensional. Too bad.

Mouthfeel: Light-to-medium, generally thinner than I think of a stout being. Medium carbonation.

Drinability/Overall: Drinks pretty easy, I'll give it that. It's just rather unexciting.

Final Notes: This is another one of those "not a bad beer, just a little lacking" beers. The smell and taste it has are good, but I just wish there was more substance to it. It happens. (720 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

Purchased as a single from Total Wine in Tucson, AZ. Fun label, 3-7-77 under the cap. Poured into a pint glass. pours a dark, cola brown with little head but some lacing. Smells of dark chocolate, some nuts, some caramel.

Tastes of black coffee, walnut, and some sweetness in there. Some dark cocoa on the back end. Less like a stout combination and more like a nut brown. Thin, almost watery. Again, like a nut brown. I'd have a six pack of em if I was in the mood for a brown, but this hurt, because I was really after a stout.

Without categorizing it, it's a solid B+. Simple, but good. However, taking style into account, it suffers. (639 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +20%

From tasting notes 10-19-11
Poured into a snifter

Appearance: Dark, Dark brown-black pour, some deep ruby highlights, a 3-finger light caramel head that settles fairly quickly and has mild to moderate retention throughout. The lacing left behind is fairly thick.

Smell: Deeply roasted malts, a small bit of dark chocolate and surprisingly I can smell the oats in this one.

Taste: Excellent coffee taste up front, some roasted malts, and such a delightfully creamy finish that the oatmeal lends creates an outstanding beer.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, medium body with medium carbonation and a beautifully smooth yet crisp finish.

Overall: A damn good beer. Great coffee flavor and a very coating, creamy mouthfeel to boot! I loved it. (734 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Black as oil as promised…a dark khaki head that settles in about a finger width thickness…(4/5)

Smell: Strong chocolate notes blended with oatmeal and malt…chocolate is dominate throughout…really not overly eventful unless you like huffing coco essence…(3.25/5)

Taste: Coffee and chocolate flavors explode as soon as they hit my tongue…oatmeal malt and hops are the underbelly as expected…robust all around leaving very little room for bitterness…apparent it’s a higher alcohol content beer…(3.5/5)

Mouthfeel: Fluffs right up, creating a milk chocolate clouds that lingers…oatmeal and malt flavors consume back of my tongue…one drink lasts a while, but it’s hard to cover the alcohol taste…(4/5)

Overall: The flavor is fantastic, chocolate and coffee notes blend fantastically with the malt and hops…the carbonation makes a cotton candy like fluff that is very flavorful…I recognize that it’s an imperial stout, but the alcohol is a bit too dominant…it could be toned down a bit and that would create a more balanced, flavorful beer…(3.75/5) (1,095 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +3.2%

The pour was good, reveiling a dark brown/black stout with a large brown head. The aroma is sweet and slightly hoppy but weaker than expected. The flavor is dark but yet almost light in a sense, or at least lighter than your typical stout. I was expecting something a little more dense. It had a good hop bitterness which complemented the malts.
Overall a good beer thats worth trying at least once. (400 characters)

Slow Elk from Big Sky Brewing.
They also make the Moose Drool beer, and the Scape Goat, which I have yet to try.

From the bottle, it pours dark amber and clean.
Smells dank and mosslike at the same time. Tastes much better.
I detect some semi-sweet chocolate and coffee flavors, but it's insipidness left me uninspired.

It has a mello malty mouthfeel with a clean finish and no aftertaste.

I kept waiting for this beer to show me something more. (458 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -9.7%

A: Pours deep brown, head quickly thins out.

S: Roasted malt, chocolate, oatmeal.

T: Strong roasted malt and oatmeal flavor, slight chocolate/coffee flavor, initially bitter then mellows out.

M: Thinner body than most stouts I'm used to

O: It is an ok beer, not upset I drank it, but would not go out of my way to purchase again. (333 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Big Sky is one of my all time favorite breweries but this is one of their all time average beers. It's just so average. I thought for a minute this was like an improved version of Moose Drool but it's so plain boring. Incredibly smooth. Incredibly delicious. Incredibly drinkable.

It's just so dang boring...like a Honda Accord V6 that outruns yesteryear's Mustang but it's still boring! For a limited edition I was expecting tremendous something.

What I got was a wonderful beer with hints of dark chocolate and prolly one of the smoothest porters I have ever drank. I'm not complaining. I just expected more from this brewery. They have the most underrated IPA I have ever drank.

That said...this is a party porter...anybody can drink this...and beer snobs will approve...I think that is what Big Sky had in mind...seasonal beers often end up at parties and especially XMAS parties! FTW (893 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +15%

A- Poured from a bottle with an elk standing in front of a mountain range with the moon rising over it on the label into a pint glass. Pours a dark, dark brown that lets very little light through. Two finger head sticks around for a while and leaves some lacing.

S- Roasted malts is about all I can get out of the nose on this one.

T- Big roasted malt and oatmeal flavors up front followed up by a little bit of vanilla-like sweetness and then some very subtle hops balance it out at the end. One of the best-tasting oatmeal stouts I've ever had. Tastes much better than it smells.

M- Maybe a little thin for a stout, but not bad.

D- Could definitely have more than one of these, and I just might.

EDIT: I was reading the other reviews and realized that my rating was a lot higher than average, and also that I'm the only one that's reviewed it this year. The bottle does say "Limited Release" on it, so either my taste buds are pretty different from average, or this beer has improved. I say if you've had this in the past, try it again. And if you haven't had it before, don't let the average C+ rating scare you off. It's a pretty good stout. (1,150 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: The bottle design is probably the best part about the beer. Big Sky has great continuity with their design. However, the idea of calling the beer "Slow Elk" with a drawing of a cow with elk antlers roped on is pretty funny. I digress...the wear pours terribly into a snifter, for a stout that is. Foams too heavy, carbonation does not rise like a stout usually does. Dark body with an amber touch when put up to light. Head is lumpy and whitish tan.

S: Probably the best part about the beer. Has the odor of a traditional stout with hints of heavy grain.

T: Meh, nothing really too impressive. I feel like the "oatmeal" taste they were going for misplaced the essence of what a stout beer should be.

M: Not as thick as I like my stouts.

O: Under-impressed. Big Sky usually makes a good push with their brews. Slow Elk is on the weaker side of things. I guess it's a good thing that it's a limited release... (918 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- dark brown body, thin white head with lots of bubbles in it, and carbonation apparent on the sides of the glass.

S- Oatmeal is present, with caramel malt sweetness. It's not potent, but if you dig in it's there.

T- It's fairly sweet, a little watery, but great flavor for duration. It doesn't overwhelm the senses and I like that.

M- sprity carbonation and dry. easy drinking with a nice flavor to back it up. not as full bodied as I look for in this style, but I like it's personality.

O- Not a bad beer. I like most of what the big sky brewery kicks out, and this is very unique. Oatmeal stouts usually put me to sleep with their heaviness, but this one keeps me awake and has me reaching for another. I'd hang out with this one once in a while. It's a session stout for me. (783 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +12.4%

This beer poured without much head, retention or lacing. It smells pretty good, but the aroma isn't very strong, some roasted barley character for sure.
Taste is pretty darn good, it does feel a little light for a stout, but flavor-wise they have done no ill. I taste coffee, then chocolate which settles into an oatmealy aftertaste. The aftertaste is very pleasant... almost like after downing a whole sheet of mother's fresh cookies and then lapsing into a comforting coma. I am not a regular oatmeal stout drinker, but I'd be into trying more of them after this pleasant experience. (586 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +25.6%

12 ounce bottle, best by 01/12/12 printed on the bottle. "Big Hole Cologne" printed inside the cap. Pours crystal clear dark brown color with a nice and fairly dense 1-2 fingers of light tan head with great retention that reduces to a lacing cap that lasts. Some fairly thick lacing clings to the glass as well. Aromas of chocolate, caramel, roasted malt, oatmeal, and bitter coffee. Some surprisingly nice aromas with good strength. Taste of light chocolate, oats, caramel, light coffee, and roasted malt. Finish is fairly dry, but there is some light bitterness with lingering notes of roasted malt, caramel, light chocolate and coffee. Alcohol is completely hidden as expected for a beer of 5.4%. Medium body and carbonation, with a decently creamy mouthfeel. Very smooth and easily drinkable. Nice balance of flavors. Overall a nice oatmeal stout I thoroughly enjoyed. (872 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%

A- Pours dark dark brown with a nice head, leaving long lasting traces of lacy foam.

S- Roasted malts and coffee where the two smells that jumped out at me.

T- Oats, chocolate, roasted malts...

M- Mouth feel is a lot thinner than i would like it to be, almost a watery feel.

O- Overall it was a decent beer, a little watered down but some fantastic smell. (359 characters)

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last