Moose Drool Brown Ale - Big Sky Brewing Company

good

Big Sky Brewing Company visit their website
Montana, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.30% ABV

It's chocolate brown in color with a creamy texture. A malty beer with just enough hop presence to keep it from being too sweet. The aroma mostly comes from the malt with a hint of spice added by the hops. Moose Drool is brewed with pale, caramel, chocolate, and whole black malts; and Kent Goldings, Liberty, and Willamette hops.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-16-2001)
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
rickyleepotts

Arizona

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I have had this beer before, but only since we moved to Arizona. You can't get this beer in Indiana. At least you couldn't when we lived there. I remember this beer not being a typical brown ale, but thicker with more mouthfeel than what I expected. Plus, I love the label. It was neat to learn that someone painted the label before the beer was named. I guess when you see a moose drooling you just know what to name your brew! I also found it interesting that Moosehead has tried to sue them… not sure who wins those lawsuits, but I imagine that the names are not (obviously) related.

In the Glass: It is extremely dark, nearly black in the glass. It is hazy, and when I hold it up to the light I can see why they call it a brown ale. There is a light tan head and little lace.What lace there is quickly dips back into the beer.

Nose: Your nose is punched with malt and chocolate aroma on the first sip. I didn't smell this when I first poured it into the glass, but this is one of those beers I would rather smell than drink. It is just loaded with aroma.

Flavor: The flavor is as good, if not better than the aroma. It has the same malty notes that you got on the front of the nose, and then the dark chocolate, almost burnt carmel flavors set it. It isn't very carbonated, which I like… almost the thickness consistency of a stout. Funny, speaking of stouts… I was just talking to someone on Twitter about Moose Drool. He said that Guinness tasted the same. Um… Guinness is an Irish dry stout, and Moose Drool is a brown ale. They are not even in the same league!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is really nice. It has that thickness I was talking about early, and it sort of coats the tongue with a layer of semisweet from that chocolate flavor that you get on the middle to the back of the palate. The longing dryness in the aftertaste isn't bad, either… but we will get to that. This is a darker beer, and I am sure would taste better closer to cellar temperatures. As a matter of fact, I bet this would taste best in Montana… I can see myself drinking this looking out over the fresh snow. Then again, I never want to see snow again!

Aftertaste: The aftertaste isn't very powerful, but it is longing and sticks around for quite some time. It has a subtle dryness to it, and leaves that sharp burnt caramel flavor all over the tongue. Based on the aroma and the flavor of this beer, it is exactly what I would have expected the aftertaste to be. The burp is nice, too.

Like I said, we couldn't get this beer in Indiana… and it is readily available here in Arizona. Good thing, because this is is a tasty beer. I have been getting into darker more malty beers lately. I still prefer an IPA, but nothing beats a dark, chocolaty malty brew. The label might not be very appetizing, but the beer sure is. Bottoms up!

07-22-2012 18:57:36 | More by rickyleepotts

Colorado

07-23-2014 20:03:37 | More by Knobs303
JamesMN

2.8/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Date on the bottle of 5/22/14. It doesn't specify whether that is a 'bottled on' or 'enjoy by' date.

Appearance: Nice pour which resulted in a semi-transparent caramel brown/amber body and thin off-white head.

Aroma: Sweet caramel and toasty malt. A hint of black cherries.

Taste: Less sweet than the aroma and in many ways not as exciting. Amber malt without the caramel flavor and, unfortunately, some metallic off-flavors. When I purchased the bottle it was laying on its side with many bottles in a large metal basin. I expect oxidation and contact with the inside of the bottle cap are culprits in the off-flavors. So not the fault of the brewery but in fact the fault of poor handling by employees who should know better than to put beer in any orientation besides upright. Okay, getting back to the flavor now. There is still a bit of hop presence, in the form of some bitterness during the finish that follows through to linger in the aftertaste. The big disappointment here, apart from the off-flavors, is the lack of malt presence. I expect more toasty malt presence, similar to what was in the aroma, when drinking a brown ale. Since malt flavor does not, in my experience, fade with time I wonder why it is so lacking. At 5.% ABV there is definite room for some great flavor.

Mouthfeel: Between medium and thin in body. Nearly tepid until the finish when there is a huge burst of effervescence. Definitely not among the best of them in this department.

Final Thoughts: All off-flavors aside, this is just an okay beer at best. I brewed a clone of this beer a few years ago and even that was better than this is, and it takes a lot for my home-brews to impress me. Not labeling a date as either 'bottled on' or 'enjoy by' is a cardinal sin in my book. Although, due to the lack of malt flavor I suspect it wouldn't make a difference how fresh this beer is. However, as always I would give this beer another chance. Would I drink it again? Yes, if the head brewer handed me a pint.

07-23-2014 19:37:17 | More by JamesMN