2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Moose Drool Brown Ale - Big Sky Brewing Company

Moose Drool Brown AleMoose Drool Brown Ale

good

good

Big Sky Brewing Company visit their website
Montana, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.30% ABV

It's chocolate brown in color with a creamy texture. A malty beer with just enough hop presence to keep it from being too sweet. The aroma mostly comes from the malt with a hint of spice added by the hops. Moose Drool is brewed with pale, caramel, chocolate, and whole black malts; and Kent Goldings, Liberty, and Willamette hops.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-16-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moose Drool Brown Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,841 | Reviews: 812 | Show All Ratings:
Bricelyn

Idaho

This beer Begs to be had around a camp fire high up in the Saw tooth mountains, its colors are straight off a Ponderosa pine dark browns almost black higlighted by cranberry reds.

It even smells like a camp fire soft and malty smoke.

First thing to hit my pallet was lima beans and a slight hop on the back of the tongue its quite dry and slightly bitter. It all mellows out in to a bakers chocolate type malt.

Smooth and mellow is the mouth feel it finishes a bit sticky on the back of your tongue

I have to say that I am a bit partial to this beer as it is brewed so close to home and is a staple of me and my brothers camp out diet... Nuf said

11-01-2009 17:59:16 | More by Bricelyn
cfryman

Missouri

A - Pours a deep amber/brown color and topped with nearly three inches of frothy tan head.

S - Milk chocolate with hints of dark roasted chocolate and sweet toffee.

T - The taste is chocolaty with a slightly bittersweet coffee finish and plenty of roasted malt.

M - Perfect balance of creamy texture that leaves mouth coated with slight roasted-bitterness.

O - This is a perfect beer...ideal to enjoy a few in one sitting.

Serving type: Bottle

It's just as good on tap. This beer is a great go-to beer...flavorful enough for the darker/roasty beer fan but not too strong for the lighter beer drinker. This is simply a perfect beer! Kudos to Big Sky Brewing Company.

04-27-2013 18:47:45 | More by cfryman
BeerMePlze

4.95/5  rDev +33.4%

Saw this on tap at Wild Goose in Chicago.
Hands down one the best beers I've ever tasted. Extremely sessionable especially for a brown ale. Great malt, tastes like chocolate, caramel, nuts.

Bartender told me it is also available in cans??? Anyone know if this is true and if so where it can be found in Chicago?

11-23-2009 16:55:36 | More by BeerMePlze
dudey

4.93/5  rDev +32.9%

the first time I tried this I was on vacation in West Yellowstone 1999. I had finished snowmobiling about 300mi and ready to start the evening with my wife dining out. We tried a number of different local beers before I was "introduced" to Moose Drool. It was love at first sight/smell/taste. I don't know if I have had a better Brown Ale since. The appearance was of a warm maple syrup coming out of the tap. The smell consisted of fresh cracked walnuts and toasted coconut. I would liken the drinkability to sitting down at home to a good movie with say, a bag of doritos. Half way through the movie you look down and all the chips are gone, you pause the movie and search for more. This goes hand in hand with mouthfeel. I don't particularly like hops showing up at the end of a smooth consistent beer. Nailing my olfactory senses in the face is inconsistant with the overall story would humiliate the beer. This beer doesn't dissapoint. The conversion of these storylines ends in a happy ending. This was among the last beers I enjoyed that night. I thought my taste buds were swayed by the previous enjoyment of the evenings beers. I confirmed my enthusiam and review of this beer the next two nights just to make sure my assesments were correct. They were. I do have to say that 400 mi and packaging does indeed make a difference. We recieved a shipment of MooseDrool, Slow Elk and Powder Hound (all from the same brewery) at our local beeraceutical store. The anticipation of having this brew in town was tainted with high expectations and low returns. This beer bottled and shipped to our location registers a meager 2-2.5 rating for this reviewer.

02-14-2003 18:12:22 | More by dudey
rwf08

4.85/5  rDev +30.7%

12oz bottle brought back from New Mexico by my girlfriend. Rich kids, they go everywhere on vacation. Put in a standard American pint glass.

A: Brown, saw that coming, with a nice little head and some lacing. Held up to light you get some dark ruby colors.

S: Fruity esters, dark fruits like rasians, malty sweetness, little hop bitterness hiding in there too.

T: Dark fruits but with a nice roastyness coming up the back end. Kind of dry on the finish.

M: Medium body, dry finish.

D: I'd call this sessionable and I'd session this all night long. Look out! If this was easier to find in my parts I'd keep it as a standard rotation.

Overall this seems to be a good representation of the style. It is an open ended style so I find it unfair to compare this to some other that have a more extensive inventory on their ingredients list. If you are looking for a good roasty, fruity, brown ale then this is your best bet. I think this is a great beer and is under rated because of the idea of extreme beer in America.

02-11-2010 08:29:02 | More by rwf08
malcolm723

Washington

4.83/5  rDev +30.2%

Always get this on my trips to Montana.

A- Dark amber color, hints of red.

S- Typical ale smell, with hints of caramel, also a little fruity.

T- Exceptional taste, nice and smooth, hints of grain, and caramel

N- I really enjoy this beer. Just an all around great brown ale. I'd grab a Moose Drool insted of a Newcastle any day. Good beer to drink on a nice hot summer day.

10-06-2006 22:46:39 | More by malcolm723
jmbranum

Oklahoma

4.75/5  rDev +28%

Enjoyed at Baker Street Pub and Grill in Tulsa, OK on tap.

I've had this in bottle before and thought it was so-so, but this is something else all together.

Fantastic toasty rich aroma. Deep dark brown with a light tan head that lingers (lots of Belgian lace). No haziness.

Flavor is a revelation of all beer can be. Rich and toasty. Dry but with some residual sweetness. I can pick up molasses, brown sugar, dark chocolate and pumpernickel. Nice rich aftertaste. Sweet yet dry (yes, I know that is contradictory). Just a little bit of hop bite at first with more as it warms up.

Mouthfeel is crisp with a high amount of carbonation. I think I would like it just a tad bit smoother, but the crispness is nice for a change.

Overall, this is an amazingly good dark brown ale.

06-16-2012 18:08:21 | More by jmbranum
ericj551

Alberta (Canada)

4.72/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Moose Drool pours a deep brown with a nice off white head that lingers. The aroma is sweet, nutty caramel with some nice chocolatey roasted malt. The flavor is perfectly balanced sweet dark malt with earthy hops. The finish is dry with lingering toasted malt and herbal hops.

09-02-2010 04:13:51 | More by ericj551
masey222

4.7/5  rDev +26.7%

Pours dark chocolate soda brown that is a middle of the road for a brown. About the same look as Bells Best brown. A light head that falls somewhat fast.

The smell is good but wont knock your socks off, nutty, malty, kind of sweet.

The taste is my favorite, smooth nutty, chocolate and that coffee that just keeps me coming back for more. It is well balanced and a beer that for me wont get old, and is perfect to take fishing because you wont hate yourself for letting it get a little warm. The best part is at least for me is when you take a sip the taste it leaves makes you want more.

For me is a little thin but for a brown it is right on.

It is most defiantly super drinkable it is perfect for winter or anything to do with being outside when it isn't the warmest out.

10-27-2010 08:36:34 | More by masey222
JayS2629

Alabama

4.7/5  rDev +26.7%

Out of my entire trip to Colorado my favorite beer was from Montana.

Poured a deep brown with a creamy off white head that sticks around and leaes creamy walls and rings of lace.

The aroma is of milk chocolate, light caramel, and earthy hops.

The taste is rich with cocoa notes, milk chocolate, biscuit and toast with caramel notes and earthy tones.

Greatly balanced. On the malty side, but full of rich character and hop balance. Very easy to drink with rich flavors throughout. Awesome beer.

08-13-2011 04:12:21 | More by JayS2629
BrewmasterNPB

Colorado

4.65/5  rDev +25.3%

I had this in the bar near where I work, which is bizarre because the closest thing that bar has to a microbrew is Blue Moon... usually.
I poured it into a pint glass, it has a beautiful brown color, not too dark, with a dark tan head. The beer cascaded nicely as I poured it. There is a gentle hop aroma, nothing big. The taste is wonderfully malty, but not too sweet. This is a dark brew that I could drink a lot of, but that's why we get married.

02-21-2008 23:33:49 | More by BrewmasterNPB
guityler83

Wisconsin

4.61/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured agressively into a standard pint glass it generated a large 2 or 3 finger head with larger kahki colored chunky bubbles. Dark brown in color with ruby red highlights and clear apperance.

S: Light milk chocolate aroma. Nutty toffey and dark caramel malts. very complex but distinct. No hop aroma detected.

T: Cocoa, nutty, and caramel malt flavors with some residual malt sweetness. Yet a moderate pine bitterness to hold the malts and keeping them in check.

M: Carbonation is on the lower side but with moderate body. no astringancy.

O: This was probably the first craft beer I tried that turned me onto craft beer exclusivly. A flavorful, malt forward, brown ale that doesn't get boring and can be drank in quantity. Cheers!

08-21-2013 02:42:05 | More by guityler83
beernut7

4.6/5  rDev +24%

This is a great brown ale. Too many browns these days overdo the malts and do not let the hops shine through. Moos Drool is nice and dry with a crisp light bitterness. Very like Offshore's brown ale. One of the best.

05-02-2002 15:59:21 | More by beernut7
guild337

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

After reading a great review of this beer in another beer magazine, I had to try it. But since I live nowhere near Montana, I had it shipped to me online...which wasn't cheap. Luckily I was happy with what I received in the mail. I am a brown ale fanatic, and this ranks up there with some of the best brown ales I have had.

A - Very nice amber brown color. Nice thin head.

S - Sweet, malty, brown sugar, and a bit of spice.

T - Very nice malt flavor and sweetness that goes with that, a little bit of hoppiness on the tail end. The taste is very fresh, and doesn't linger too long.

M - Very light mouthfeel. A little heavy on the carbonation, but still nice and refreshing.

D - I could drink this beer all evening long, with it's relatively low ABV of 5.1%, and perfect mix of sweetness and slight hoppiness. Great brown ale for the summertime. Not too filling at all. Great brew all around. It was definitely worth the shipping cost.

10-13-2008 21:36:11 | More by guild337
Flava5

Montana

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I live in Montana so this beer is a staple for us and I have had it served many ways and the best yet is a can.

The flavor is nutty with a nice malt backbone no hoppiness at all. The color is a nice deep amber with a sweet nutty smell on the nose. The mouthfeel is very nice a little watery so it's very drinkable you can drink these all night long without getting to full this is one of Montanas best in my opinion.

07-27-2010 21:40:30 | More by Flava5
EgadBananas

Louisiana

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

CAN to pint glass. Sir Woody would be proud! Thanks to Adouble for the CAN!

Pours a light cola color, with a very light tan creamy head of about two fingers, that dissipates to a creamy froth, and leaves nice webbing along the way.

I actually get a caramel, cola aroma, mixed with some coffee and milk chocolate and a hint of toffee.

Light coffee notes dance around with a bold roasted malt character, bits of chocolate, toffee, and tree nuts. May even be a touch of hazelnut. I'm also getting something reminiscent of Dr. Pepper.

The feel is creamy, medium bodied, clean, nice carbonation.

My new favorite brown ale. I think though that the can can't be beat.

04-17-2011 02:17:28 | More by EgadBananas
OregonPaul

Oregon

4.55/5  rDev +22.6%

This is a beer that must be had from the tap. Don't waist your time or money buying it from the bottle. Please don't review it from the bottle. Drink cold Moose Drool after spending 4 days hiking in the mountains. I recommend while eating a grizzly burger in Roscoe Montana. Moose Drool is one of the best year round beers in the world. Enjoy it!

10-16-2010 06:09:29 | More by OregonPaul
ppoitras

4.53/5  rDev +22.1%

12oz bottle from NorthernTimber as part of The Easter BIF Bunny exchange. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" tan head above the reddish brown brew. Head holds its own, and laces well. Aroma is almost all nutty malts, with just a touch of hoppiness. Taste is excellent, nutty malt agains, with a slight fruit finish, and a kind of crisp hop close. Mouthfeel is spot on for a brown, and drinkability is excellent as well. Nice one here.

06-23-2005 23:06:06 | More by ppoitras
sulldaddy

Connecticut

4.53/5  rDev +22.1%

I am sampling a chilled bottle of this beer that I got from my brother. Pouring into a pint glass the beer is a clear mahogany color with ruby highlights. The head is beige and fizzy with little staying power, quickly fading to a thin edge layer. Aroma is toffee and caramel with maybe a hint of butterscotch too. I also get some light grassy hops in the background. Appealing nose.
First sip reveals an average body with a bit of a silky texture. The carbonation is fizzy and tingles leaving my tongue refreshed.
Flavor starts with a hint of roasted malt and then goes all sweet with caramel, a bit of chocolate and some more toffee. The finish is brown sugar sweetness. The beer is smooth and easy to drink and I find myself craving the next sip each time I put the glass down. Damn wish I had more than one bottle, cause this is a good beer!
I will buy this next time I see it! Quite a tasty beer!

11-16-2005 04:04:12 | More by sulldaddy
echoes

Washington

Served in a glass.

A: Pours a very bubbly/carbonated, creamy head. Dissipates quickly at first but then slows and leaves very little lacing. Has a black/very dark brown/redish color. Virtually no carbonation visible in the beer itself. Could pass for root beer.

S: Very pleasant smell. Can detect (in no particular order): citrus, roasted wheat or something, slight smoke scent.

T: Not bitter at all. Coffee, smoky, chocolate, roasted something or other. Also a swig of citrus seems to be hiding in there. Excellent flavor.

M: Smooth and silky. A tab bit bubbly (even though it was previously mentioned that no carbonation is visible). Fits very nicely for an ale.

D: No bitterness or unpleasant aftertaste of any kind. Could definitely drink more than one bottle.

I think I have found my new regular beer. This truly lives up to the brown ale style. Excellent all around. Very pleasant beer. For sure I will be buying more this in the future.
Definitely do not judge a book by its cover: couldn't be a better beer considering the nasty name.

11-03-2010 01:33:07 | More by echoes
Mitchster

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

$1.89 for a 12oz single @ Jacks. Have had this several times on tap and really liked it, so giving the bottle a try. Brewed with pale, caramel, chocolate, and whole black malts; and Kent Goldings, Liberty, and WILLAMETTE HOPS. It has an original gravity of 13 degrees Plato, and is 4.2% alcohol by weight, 5.3% by volume.

Pours out to a clear dark walnut, forming a nice poofy light tan head with very good retention and a solid sheet of lace. Moderate carbonation. The aroma is wonderful...black walnut, chocolate malt, toast and biscuits and some nice herbal hops sitting in the background. The mouthfeel is really smooth and soft with a medium body. The taste opens with a touch of spicy hops, followed by the chocolate malt body, black walnuts and toast, then a very nice finish of leather and moist tobacco. Bitterness is mild and perfectly balanced. No perceptable off flavors.

A wonderful brown ale. I'm not a big fan of brown ales, but this is almost as robust as a porter. Very rich and nuanced. It reminds me of Goose Island Mild Winter, and it just as good. I will definitely be buying this again. Very easy drinking. Will likely become a new favorite as it's readily available and decently priced. Highly recommended.

03-19-2011 01:44:01 | More by Mitchster
beerman207

Kentucky

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

A: Pours out a light - medium brown with a huge tan head that lingers a while and leaves fantastic lacing behind.

S: Nose is strong malt, bold nuttiness, and some earthiness

T: Wow - really malty and well balanced with some nuttiness in the finish that really makes this a beer I could drink all night. Best brown ale I've had to date.

M: Moderate carbonation

O: Very impressed with this beer. Wish I had a case of it laying around.

06-05-2011 00:59:45 | More by beerman207
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

Bottled 7/17/12:

From my haulback from Michigan:

Into a pint glass:

A: dark brown colored body with a full foamy white two finger head that slowly dies to a cap, a lot of foamy ringy spider web lacing appears.

S: chocolate up front with a substantial amount of assorted nutty flavorings back it up. Some coffee notes come in as the beer warms.

T: takes those smells and flavors it with a bit of maltiness

M: medium with nothing harsh on the tongue. There is a dry aftertaste.

O: I'm really impressed with this one and am wishing I would have bought the full six pack for this.

10-12-2012 13:29:13 | More by BeerKangaroo
pb9613

4.47/5  rDev +20.5%

Moose Drool had a beautiful nut brown color with a nice tan head. This leads to a sweet malty aroma with a nice hop note.

The taste was exceptional. I was expecting a bland brown ale with nothing exciting going on with the malt and hops. I was pleasantly surprised with this excellent beer.

Moose Drool could use a have a little more head retention. This hurts the beers appearance and body the longer it sits in a glass (which shouldn't be too long).

Overall this is a beer that you can drink and enjoy all year round not just during the fall and winter months when darker beers tend to be more popular.

08-14-2010 22:57:26 | More by pb9613
cyraxx

4.47/5  rDev +20.5%

The pint had a beautiful dark mahogany color with a thick off-white head. It smelled very malty, with a definite chocolate malt presence and just a touch of hops (not enough for me to discern variety). The flavor had a smack of hop character with a very light bitterness to keep things balanced and a rich, full malt flavor with a lot of breadiness and toastiness from Munich malt.

There were also some roasty chocolate flavors for good measure, as well. It finished dry and made me want another sip, but with just a bit too much carbonation in my opinion. I can see why this is considered one of the finest examples of a less hop forward version of the style according to the BJCP.

03-04-2011 19:06:39 | More by cyraxx