2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Moose Drool Brown Ale - Big Sky Brewing Company

Moose Drool Brown AleMoose Drool Brown Ale

good

good

Big Sky Brewing Company visit their website
Montana, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.30% ABV

It's chocolate brown in color with a creamy texture. A malty beer with just enough hop presence to keep it from being too sweet. The aroma mostly comes from the malt with a hint of spice added by the hops. Moose Drool is brewed with pale, caramel, chocolate, and whole black malts; and Kent Goldings, Liberty, and Willamette hops.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-16-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moose Drool Brown Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,840 | Reviews: 812 | Show All Ratings:
mattdavis452

1.38/5  rDev -62.8%

I was quite harsh on my ratings for this brew for good reason - it tasted and smelled like carbonated vomit.

The appearance was beautiful, a dark, rich brown with a little light coming through.

Smell and taste though, as noted above, were worse than atrocious.

Mouthfeel was a little better, it was somewhat crisp.

Drinkability comes straight from taste, and based on my rating of the taste, don't even think about drinking this one.

05-07-2006 22:12:11 | More by mattdavis452
Jdbateman83

1.83/5  rDev -50.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I am all for people having their own likes and tastes... But this stuff is disgusting... Seriously, look at the name. Very bitter, chemical like taste. I know some will call it deep, complex, rich flavors... but it is really gross. I would sooner have a pint of just about anything except Old Rasputin then Moose Drool... Again, it is what the name implies...

09-01-2013 03:44:38 | More by Jdbateman83
Erdinger2003

Iowa

1.98/5  rDev -46.6%

Looks nice with good head retention and a pretty good lacing. Color isn't so much brown, but it is dark. Sweet and raosty smell made me think this would be a good brown ale, but not so. Taste is green beans(?), roastiness and slight chocolate malts. It's off-putting. Mouthfeel is bad, just not very good. Overall this scared me and I wouldn't have another.

09-05-2006 04:39:47 | More by Erdinger2003
alcstradamus

1.98/5  rDev -46.6%

A--Dark brown color that glows with a deep red hue when held to the light. Standard pour yielded almost 2 fingers of head that receded fairly quickly down to a centimeter and left some lacing on the glass

S--Caramel malty sweetness, bread, little bit of banana peel in the background. Actually, it kind of smells like a very weak hefe'

T--The taste here is rather unpleasant. Whatever flavors are here are overshadowed by a funky metallic and ashy taste that ruins too many beers. This bottle is well within its freshness period and was not subjected to harsh conditions. I think its just flat out a bad tasting beer.

M--Light bodied and slightly watery, but leaves a lingering metallic taste on the tongue

D--Drain pour for me. I will probably toss the remaining 3 bottles from my sampler pack too because I am never going to drink them and I don't want to give them to somebody and subject them to this poor beer.

EDIT: I tried another bottle of this and I got the same flavor, I am officially done with this beer. I suppose I may have gotten 2 bad bottles, but quality control is just as important as the product itself and something is wrong here

04-14-2009 21:30:40 | More by alcstradamus
bierenutz

2.1/5  rDev -43.4%

This beer started out looking good. Poured into a glass a 1+ inch head was formed leaving nice lacing about the glass. The smell was mild but present including a sweet aroma of nuts and chocolate. The taste was not nearly as impressive as the look, however, as the nutty aroma was replaced by a more burnt taste and bitterness. The mouthfeel was watery and had considerable carbonation. I probably should have just finished this beer while it was cold, but I let it warm a bit and that was my mistake. I then found this beer to reveal more of a tobacco taste and that was it for me. I finished about half of this beer and had to stop. To some this review may sound unfair of this beer, but I haven't had to pour a half a beer down the drain (voluntarily) in a long, long time. In the end, I found the name of this beer quite fitting. Thank goodness I only bought one to try it out and I hope the Big Sky IPA I bought at the same time saves my opinion of this brewer.

04-03-2010 00:54:22 | More by bierenutz
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.28/5  rDev -38.5%

Bottle: Poured a very dark brown color ale with a medium foamy off-white head with better then average retention. Aroma of molasses is quite dominant. Taste is also dominated by this strong molasses feeling, which doesn’t do it for me. Tasted like bad extract homebrew kit. Can’t see why this is rated so high…

11-11-2005 15:44:28 | More by Phyl21ca
badbeer

Iowa

2.28/5  rDev -38.5%

Poured more red than brown, but had a real nice head with good retention. Smell was nice and malty, smells of nuts and some dark fruit. Smell was appetizing, taste was rather weird. I kept getting a rather dry green bean taste. I don't think I've experienced that before, especially in a brown. Mouthfeel felt overcarbonated and light in body. Not very good, but I might have gotten a bad bottle. Started out promising, finished not so good.

10-05-2006 01:21:20 | More by badbeer
rockyfire

2.3/5  rDev -38%

I had heard so much about this beer from friends who were traveling in the Big Sky area. Anyway, light and pleasant malt aroma, with a slight hop background that strengthens the longer it sits. Brown in color and full head that lingers. Not a strong flavor but the hops are there in taste but not a dry finish. Thin mouthfeel with low carbonation. Kinda like the name suggests, although I love the name.

02-06-2010 05:42:41 | More by rockyfire
Gremner

2.35/5  rDev -36.7%

A- This ale is pretty. It pours a deep brown with reddish hues around the edges. A finger or two thick off white head that goes down rather quickly. Low to moderate lacing.

S- A little grainy, a little hoppy. Smell seemed thin.

T- Started off malty, with some hops kicking in toward the end. Finished pretty clean. There seemed to be an emptiness to the taste right in the middle.

M- Pretty light bodied. Decent carbonation and a clean finish.

D- All in all, I'd say its okay. Not good, not terrible. I think there is room to improve this one to be pretty darn good. I'd like a more interesting and potent aroma to accompany a more interesting and potent flavor. I just seemed to lack something...

12-09-2009 05:46:03 | More by Gremner
beer348

2.5/5  rDev -32.6%

well, this is not my favorite beer would be an understatement. I was quite a bit disappointed. it tasted fine and had decent flavor but.. Had a good feel though but just didn't sit that well and not very drinkable whatsoever. i am rating this beer low

12-05-2009 23:37:51 | More by beer348
ChrisQ

Nebraska

2.55/5  rDev -31.3%

If you like black coffee and strong liquor, this might be a beer for you. Sadly, as someone who doesn't prescribe to the daily ritual of drinking "Boiled Bean Juice," I couldn't finish my serving. The funny thing is, I had this in Montana on the way to a coffee roaster's.

Something called Moose Drool should have told me what I was getting into: mysterious, dark and slightly oily. Smell had hints of sourness and sweet fermented fruits, maybe peach and cherry. A beer that tastes thicker than it feels. It reminded me of a lighter version of Guinness. The downfall from my palate's perspective was the big punch of bitterness and pronounced ethanol.

Like single malt scotch, this is one drink that is individualized, not universal; some will love it above all, others won't.

02-07-2009 16:48:54 | More by ChrisQ
stoutman

2.55/5  rDev -31.3%

Not a whole lot of aroma. Brown and clear like a lager with an oily tan head. Body is thin and watery. Flavor is like a eeak brown malt. Could use a little more body and aromatic malt to give it a little more flavor. Good training beer if you're trying to work up to the more flavorful stuff.

12-18-2010 02:38:00 | More by stoutman
roblowther

2.58/5  rDev -30.5%

Dark brown copper color with a creamy dense head and surprisingly sticky lace. Smells straight up brown ale....slight coffee, caramel. Taste is heavily roasted, slightly burnt. Mouthfeel is soft and a touch flat. Drinkability is limited by the burnt roast. Not one for me, really...there's an acidic aftertaste that's staying with me. I won't stay with it, really.

01-02-2010 17:49:00 | More by roblowther
chadjulius

2.58/5  rDev -30.5%

It's made with considerable skill (seems like), but it isn't as good as the IPA or Trout Slayer, nor as strong at 5.1%. I suspect popularity is based somewhat on its name; Moose Drool sounds gross, but just attempt NOT to try a beer called Moose Drool.

Nothing about this beer is especially good. Yet, it's a decent beer.

10-08-2010 04:46:33 | More by chadjulius
mmmbeer

2.58/5  rDev -30.5%

12 oz. bottle with some inkjet code. Brewed to 13 P with pale, caramel, chocolate and black malts, and hopped with Kent Goldings, Willamette and Liberty; 5.1% on the label, 5.3% on their website. Pours a deep, dark amber, with abundant carbonation and a finger of crackly khaki head. Mild chocolate malt and a vinous aged quality in the nose. The flavor starts with the same vinous note mixed with papery oxidation. Toward the end, a hint of sweet caramel tries to ride in on a mild hop bitterness. Light, with lots of carbonation and a very dry, almost watery finish. Easy enough to drink, but there are some major problems with this bottle. The body is too light, it tastes long-aged, and while it is true that this bottle is several months old, there should still be no papery flavors at its age. I will re-review if I receive a better bottle.

10-22-2010 13:04:16 | More by mmmbeer
kojevergas

2.58/5  rDev -30.5%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a three finger head of hardly any cream, decent thickness, and poor retention. Pours a very dark auburn.

Sm: Amber hops, nuts, and caramel. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Nuts and caramel. That's about it. It's nicely balanced, but the build isn't anything special. It's decent.

Mf: Smooth and wet. About the right thickness. For a brown ale, it's too smooth and wet.

Dr: Very drinkable for a brown ale, but it betrays the style. I'd try it on draught, but it's largely unremarkable. It's decently priced for what it is as an import.

11-23-2011 06:51:35 | More by kojevergas
RxLeyland

Colorado

2.6/5  rDev -29.9%

Typical brown ale. I'm not a fan of brown ale otherwise this would be an above average beer. Taste has depth to it with a caramel taste and a chocolate malt finish. One of the better brown ales I have had. Would not stock my fridge with it because of my own taste in beers but good to have some around for company that does.

01-04-2013 05:30:36 | More by RxLeyland
loren01

2.63/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Had this at the taproom in Missoula. Beer is a translucent brown color, good sized white head, good lacing.
S: Doesn't smell like much really, maybe some vanilla sweet scents in there
T: Slightly nutty with the same vanilla sweetness that I smelled
M: Smooth, goes down fairly easily
D: I've had this many times before and I remember it being better than this. This is the most popular beer probably in all of Montana, but probably my least favorite from Big Sky. Proof that having a catchy name sells beer.

09-05-2006 22:44:15 | More by loren01
Strand

North Dakota

2.63/5  rDev -29.1%

Moose Drool is a brown ale brewed by Big Sky Brewing Company in Montana. Big Sky brews a number of craft beers, with limited distribution in the upper midwest.

I like brown ale. But I'm not a big fan of Moose Drool. It's not terrible, and it's my favorite of the three Big Sky beers I've tried so far. Maybe I'm spoiled by how good Newcastle Brown Ale is, so that any other brown ale fails in comparison. But it's not a bad beer - I'd drink it if one was put in front of me.

03-12-2009 19:37:12 | More by Strand
semibaked

Kentucky

2.65/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a extremely dark brown with an inch of beige foam that leaves some good lacing.

S - Roasted malts with caramel goodness and slight nutmeg perhaps. Smells a bit oxidized though.

T - Has the typical brown ale flavors (malts, caramel, bread, etc), but has an unpleasant bitterness that I am not a fan of.

M - Slick and watery with great carbonation though.

D - This is pretty average when it comes to brown ales, prolly wouldn't try it again, but glad I got to try it.

04-07-2010 23:17:06 | More by semibaked
jar2574

Missouri

2.65/5  rDev -28.6%

This beer lacks head, at least this particular bottle does. No lacing either. The carbonation and clarity and color are normal.

Smell is plums and brown sugar and malts.

Beer is slightly metallic, too watery, thin, a little sweet. No hops to speak of. Mellow, fairly drinkable beer. I'm afraid this particular bottle may not be a good sample though, because it's quite watery and too plain.

From several other occasions, I believe Moose Drool can be better, so I'd say it's average on drinkability, even though I didn't care for this particular bottle. And if I have it again and have a better bottle, I'll revise my other rankings.

08-10-2011 02:36:32 | More by jar2574
LibraryTom

2.7/5  rDev -27.2%

An OK brown that just doesn't live up to they hype as far as I am concerned.

A light driving brown malt sweetness that lingers a while but never really gets to that full richness without being heavy that I like in brown ales.

It just doesn't have the complexity I hoped to see.

07-26-2009 15:35:10 | More by LibraryTom
Fatehunter

2.7/5  rDev -27.2%

I grabbed a sixer of these cans up in Yellowstone. Poured it into a pint glass. It looks amazing. Brown to amber on the edges with a thick, dirty-white head.
A fragrant beer. A good biscuit, yeasty, wet malt smell. A really solid smelling brown ale.
The taste is initially watery, followed by a mild barley flavor. A real let down from how it looked and smelled.
It feels like an average ale; moderate carbonation and normal texture.
Besides the taste, this beer is fine. Too bad that taste is central to a good beer. It was not undrinkable by any means, but it tasted like a watered down brown ale. Maybe grab some for an athletic drinking event since it goes down easy.

Serving type: can

10-01-2011 00:26:26 | More by Fatehunter
raznug

2.73/5  rDev -26.4%

Appearance: Pours a deep red to light brown with a half inch of off white head I get a lot of Belgian lacing with each sip.
Smell: Malty and slightly roasted smells not getting much by way of the nose expected more.
Taste: Getting a slightly roasted malt flavor kind of disappointed like the smell what flavor that is there doesn’t stick around long.
Mouthfeel: It is rather watery and lighter than expected it is a very drinkable beer since it is so watery.
I expected so much more out of this beer rather disappointed.

06-11-2011 18:12:41 | More by raznug
Wetpaperbag

2.78/5  rDev -25.1%

A- Dark walnut brown. Head is foamy and reminds me of the head of a root beer float.

S- Malt smells, nutty with a hint of caramel.

T- There is a slight peppery spice to this beer. Malty in taste, but nothing really pops out.

M- Thin with not much substance.

D- Easy to drink. Would be a decent session, and a great replacement for Deschutes discontinued Buzz Saw Brown.

Basically this wasn't good in the bottle and still isn't good in the can.

Serving type: can