Moose Drool Brown Ale - Big Sky Brewing Company

good

Big Sky Brewing Company visit their website
Montana, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.10% ABV

It's chocolate brown in color with a creamy texture. A malty beer with just enough hop presence to keep it from being too sweet. The aroma mostly comes from the malt with a hint of spice added by the hops. Moose Drool is brewed with pale, caramel, chocolate, and whole black malts; and Kent Goldings, Liberty, and Willamette hops.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-16-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moose Drool Brown Ale Alström Bros
3.7/5  rDev -0.3%

On tap @ Binny's South Loop

Appearance: Nice deep amber with decent carbing, though the head was average and the lacing was as well.

Smell: Average.

Taste: Decent nut brown, smooth drinkable, to style, not as rich as the flagship sammy smith.

Mouthfeel: Average.

Drinkability: A very drinkable brew, good session beer, should the mood stir me. Hyped by one store beer geek, given an Seinfeld so-so shrug by another. I'm leaning toward the second... forgettable.

Stonebreaker, Aug 23, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +2.4%

First of all, I will admit that I do not have much experience with this style. It is nothing like Newcastle.

Appearance- Darker brown with minimal head

Smell- Sweet with hints of chocolate

Taste- lThis is a good beer. Hints of chocolate and a touch of bitterness. This seems more like a light porter than a brown ale however.

Mouthfeel- Medium

Drinkability- This could make a decent session beer. It goes great with most meats and food in general.

Injemanze, Aug 20, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +5.1%

This six pack was purchased from the home of Big Sky Brewing and brought to me in California.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Not much head but what there is is thick and wet with no lacing. It thinned out and covers most of the top of the beer. Very dark brown with only a little light getting through. Holding it up to the light, I see a dark brown/maroon color.

The smell is mellow. Just a faint scent of figs and dust.

As it hits my mouth, there are lots of very fine bubbles and tastes a bit bitter. It mellows quickly into a more typical brown ale flavor. Some mild malt and hops with nutmeg and a sweet woody flavor that I can't put my finger on.

I enjoy this beer and love having it on-hand. My preference is to have it on its own or with a snack food.

misterscooter, Aug 17, 2008
3.78/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a cola brown with ruby/amber highlights. Good two finger head two start that recedes to a tan filmy foam. The aroma is a mediumd roasted malts giving off notes light chocolate and pumpernickel bread. The taste starts with a dark toasted malt, then to a light roasted chocolate malt. The finish feels a bit chunky with a chocolate brownie bitter finish. Pretty nice English session beer from Montana. Love the name too.

scruffwhor, Aug 13, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -2.2%

Brown glass bottle (label slightly different than pictured, but the drooling moose is the same!). Thanks for bringing this one for another taste, Jeff.
Deep mahogany color, with reddish higlights when held to the light. Light tan head slowly shrinks but never disappears and leaves some thin lace on my Moose Drool glass. Smells of malt and some toffee or caramel. Flavor is mot quite as strong as the aroma, slightly toasty and caramel malt. There is a bit of yeast finish. Some floral hops. Dry finish, medium body, not alot of carbonation. If it was available locally, would be very drinkable.

BigBry, Aug 13, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -12.9%

Appearance- Dark brown and frothy.

Smell- Sweet and malty. Aromas of coffee berries and wood.

Taste- It is pretty good. There is something in the aftertaste I found a little bit unpleasant but for the most part it is a good beer. Toffee/caramel and wood flavor fill the beer.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied

Drinkability- I like this beer with food.

MTNboy, Aug 10, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -6.2%

I love the name and it really kind of tells you what its all about. My thought on real moose drool is that its thick and heavy. This is much like the beer. It's fairly good but a little to heavy for my pallet. My wife and I 1st tried this in a great place, which slips my mind, in fiddletown, CA. More of a novelty beer for me.

rbettis, Aug 02, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +18.6%

Had on tap in Grand Forks, ND at a bar/grill & totally fell in love with it. Now, I'm happy to find 6packs of it locally. One of the best brown ales out there for sure.

Smooth dry, nutty taste. Got some creaminess that makes it really enjoyable to just let it sit in your mouth for an extra couple seconds before you swallow it. Pretty dark for a brown ale. Lacks the caramel sweetness of your typical brown ale - almost a crossover porter. Very satisfying, yet so good you'll want more than one. Highly recommend this one.

Chugmonkey, Jul 01, 2008

a: This was a dark, coppery, ruby red. It poured with a medium sized foamy light tan head. Good retention and some sticky lace.

s: Cherry, coffee, vanilla, and lots of roasty malts. Big nose for a small brew.

t: The taste mirrors the smell, all of the above are nicely in balance. In addition there is a surprisingly strong little hop bite at the end.

m: Medium body and gentle foamy carbonation.

d: I was on vacation at Glacier National Park 5 years ago when I was first getting into craft beer. I had several of these at the lodge during my visit and I loved it. After all these years, I still think this is pretty damn tasty. Thanks to JohnGalt1 for the trip down memory lane.

DIM, Jun 27, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +12.7%

A - Pours up a clear dark brown with ruby highlights, and a thick tan head.

S - Aroma of chocolate, hint of roasted grain, and malt.

T - Starts off with a slightly sweet taste, finishes chocolaty on the back of the tongue. A little subdued, but good.

M - Feels a little thin with little carbonation.

D - Very easy drinking beer.

hiikeeba, Jun 27, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

Hazza! It use to be the closest place I could get this was east Wyoming, now they have brought this brew to central Iowa!

I'm more of a "red" fan but this brown actually ahs a somewhat creamy feel to it. Not much carbonation or aroma, but the flavor has a bit of a kick at first, which mellows out in the middle, then has a heavy-medium after feel. Another reason for me to stop in at Fareway.

DesMoinesMike, Jun 18, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -3%

Appearance - A dark, brown ale with a white head. Not a lot of carbonation.

Smell - Not much aroma

Taste - Excellent, not a lot of hops but good malt.

Mouthfeel - Smooth

Drinkability - On the heavy side, good to have one or to in a sitting.

Overall - Recommend trying this beer. Very enjoyable for a couple but not a session beer.

tbeck, Jun 05, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +11.3%

Delicious! If you're a toffee lover, than this is for you. That, and add in a dusting of butterscotch and a mild hoppiness in the end of the taste, and you'll be craving the taste of See's Toffee-Bits. Pairs great with extra cheesy Irish Nachos.

$5.50 for a 25 ounce mug anytime at Kelly's Korner Tavern in Placentia, CA. Bargain!

DoubleJ, Jun 01, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

This was a surprise I found in Tucson, Arizona. It was a very dark brew with a great head. It was it served in a pint glass. I was surprised of how thin the body was. When this beer was served to me it was not very cold, I wonder how this affected the characteristics of the body.

Bobdope, May 27, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +7.3%

Needed something to wash the taste of the last beer from my mouth so I wanted something fairly bland. So I chose Moose Drool. Possibly the greatest name ever for a beer.

Poured brownish with sunset red around the edges & a baby-sized head. Smells prety good.

Taste surprised me. Not a great fan of browns, but this is pretty good. The malt is backed with some unidentifiable light sweetness that balances it out very nicely.

I'm pleasantly surprised. This would be a nice session beer or something I'd be happy to find in one of those middling bars with nothing great on tap. And then I get to say "Moose Drool", too. Win/win. Nice beer.

maximum12, May 24, 2008
2.98/5  rDev -19.7%

Appearance is dark brown, some reddish tint. Bubbly cream head.

Smell is clean with hints of coffee and chocolate, but they were really slight hints.

The taste was really different. It starts off promising, but it finishes acidic. Definitely a twangy finish. But, the aftertaste that lingers is sweet, and wants me to take another sip. So, just one of those beers that I don't necessarily enjoying drinking but the aftertaste makes me want to drink more.

Mouthfeel is very watery. Sour feel in the mouth on the finish. Strange thing to compare it to, but this actually reminded me of sour kool-aid.

I would probably drink another one, but not my favorite brown ale. Less acidity would have made this a more drinkable brew.

Beefeater57, May 22, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a reddish/brown color with a creamy light brown head that has decent lasting power. Nice lacing.

Aroma of roasted malts and some sweetness.

Taste of hops, roasted malts and slightly metallic [couldn't quite put a finger on that one]. Light cocoa, nuts and molasses.

Mouthfeel is dry and light bodied.

Overall, pretty easy to drink, though I wouldn't go out of my way to search for this one.

atigerlife, May 20, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +0.5%

Pous a dark reddish brown color with a small off-white head that fades quickly.

Aromas of sweet caramel and toasted malts dominate the smell along with a bit hoppiness near the end.

Very sweet up front almost a bit of semisweet chocolate. Bready malts swoop in in the middle and finsihes with a dry hoppy flavor.

Pretty good brew, a little sweet for my tastes but well worth picking up.

rebel1771, May 15, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -6.2%

A: Darker brown, but thin enough to pull out some ruby hues. Off white head with frothy lacing.

S: Roasted malts off the tip, sweet malt character in the middle, then a null finish.

T: Chocolate sweet taste is not overpowering but present.
Roasted malts provide a bit of character. Moderate hop character just evens it out.

M: Light to medium body. Smooth.

Notes: Decent brown, will drink again if in front of me.

KylightZone, May 12, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

Consumed 05/10/08 at Pour 24, Las Vegas.

Very clear, dark caramel colored beer. One finger creamy head.

Not much aroma: indistinct nuts.

Taste is typical brown ale; toffee and caramel malt flavors with some nut notes. Beer was served way too cold, so I did linger over this pint for a while, hoping the flavor would blossom to life with increased temperature. Sadly, it did not.

Simple and smooth.

charlzm, May 12, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -15.1%

On-tap at the Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours brown (shocker) with a firm off-white head with average retention, light lacing.

S: Light smell of caramel malt and cookies.

T: Caramel malt is the main flavour, sweeter than your average brown ale, the overall flavour is so-so, light earthy hop finish, somewhat astringent.

M: Pretty good mouthfeel, brisk carbonation, light body.

D: A fine enough pub brown ale from up in Montana, I've had better browns though.

Halcyondays, May 07, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +13.7%

This brew pours a brown color, go figure. The head is white and rather large, but disappears within seconds. The aroma is outstanding. Nutty, creamy, and very strong. The taste isn't nearly as pronounced as the aroma, but is still ample and refreshing. It is nutty, and malty. The mouthfeel is a shade ligther than medium bodied, and there is a lot of carbonation. Overall, this is a damn good brown ale.

jayrod20, May 06, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured into a tasting glass. The color is dark reddish brown with a very slight tan lace head that disappears quickly. The nose is roasted malty sweetness, what you would expect for the style, but some chocolate notes are prominent in the background. There is an astringent character to the taste from the highly roasted malts. It is also a sweeter beer think, "Very light porter" in terms of flavor. The taste is unique given the style of the beer. The mouth feel is light, and the finish is quick and dry. This is a pretty drinkable beer, if you love roasted malts and sweet beers.

aquaderek, May 05, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -13.7%

A- Dark ruby walnut, one finger head.

S- Dry roasted malts, hints of caramel.

T- A very fleeting caramel sweetness is overshadowed by a nutty roasted malt character which dominates the middle. This blends seamlessly into a suitable hop finish.

M- Good carbonation, slightly on the light side.

D- Not as good as other browns but still decent.

Not my favorite brown, but it is still well crafted. This is a must if you prefer a nutty, dry brown ale.

Pauly2X, May 05, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -4.3%

A: A beatiful beer. Pours a deep, amber with a reddish hue.
S: Heavy malt aroma with some chocolate notes.
T: Actually tastes more like a Porter than a Brown Ale to me, though I'm obviously no expert. Has more of a roasted malt flavor than the sweetness I would expect from a Brown.
M: A little thin-bodied. Finish is dry and astringent.
D: Roasted flavor takes away from the drinkability for me. Not quite as sweet and mellow as brown should be.

PaleAlien2, May 02, 2008