Moose Drool Brown Ale - Big Sky Brewing Company

good

Big Sky Brewing Company visit their website
Montana, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.10% ABV

It's chocolate brown in color with a creamy texture. A malty beer with just enough hop presence to keep it from being too sweet. The aroma mostly comes from the malt with a hint of spice added by the hops. Moose Drool is brewed with pale, caramel, chocolate, and whole black malts; and Kent Goldings, Liberty, and Willamette hops.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-16-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moose Drool Brown Ale Alström Bros
ChainGangGuy

3.15/5  rDev -15.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear brown body with hints of ruby and a tan-colored head. Sparse lacing.

Smell: Hardly any scent beyond a very faint sweet malt aroma. "Where did the aroma go?" So some brewer had better be asking themselves this question. Somebody better be up late at night wondering where THE HELL the aroma went to. Just sayin'.

Taste: Lightly sweet, roasted malts with just a bit of nuttiness. Hints of chocolate. Oh, and I think there's a vague fruitiness to it squirreled away in semi-hiding, too. Light citrus hops round out the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body, with a soft carbonation. The palate leans towards being unfavorably watery at times. I dunno why it had to do this, but it did.

Drinkability: One of the most adorable labels I've seen lately, but nevertheless this beer didn't leave much of an impression on me.

11-10-2006 07:02:54 | More by ChainGangGuy
MrVisegrips

Wisconsin

The pour was a nice deep chocolate color and a thick tan head with great retention eventually leaving a very nice lace. The aroma was a nice balance of malt and hops. The flavor was a very nice mild malt with just enough hops presence to tone down the sweetness. The mild carbonation and well balanced flavors make for a comfortable mouthfeel and very good drinkability. Overall, this brew will always have a spot in my fridge.

10-29-2006 19:19:21 | More by MrVisegrips
micro108

4.15/5  rDev +11.9%

This beer is chocolate brown in color with an extremely creamy texture. It's malty beer with just enough hop presence to keep it from being too sweet. The aroma mostly comes from the malt with a hint of spice added by the hops. This beer has caramel, chocolate, whole black malts; and hops.

10-26-2006 05:43:43 | More by micro108
Brewfan

Connecticut

4.13/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured a chocolate amber color with a decent, 1 finger tan head. Head subsided to decent lace with good retention.
Malty, chocolatey aroma. Not picking up much hops, but the malt is richly sweet.
Sweet taste, malty. Dry. There's a bitterness that comes through. Not a hoppy bitterness, but more of a dark, bittersweet chocolate bitterness. Oh yeah, and coffee. The tastes contrast each other nicely.
Medium mouthfeel. About average for a brown ale. Quite drinkable.
Haven't had too many browns. This one was quite nice. Very nice to sip. Could really see this one becoming one of my session beers of choice, if I ever move to Montana.
I'll just have to get a horse, just about this big, to go along with my dental floss ranch. (Frank Zappa reference. Listen to "Montana".)

10-10-2006 16:55:49 | More by Brewfan
TrickKnee

Connecticut

I have to thank our own personal Rhode Island Santa, Beerguy for bringing this one back on one of his excursions. Definetly the best brown ale i have ever had in my life. Chocolater Brown in color and with a nice head. YOu could really smell the chocolate and caramel malts. Had such a creamy texture. Would love to try again.

10-08-2006 15:57:36 | More by TrickKnee
malcolm723

4.83/5  rDev +30.2%

Always get this on my trips to Montana.

A- Dark amber color, hints of red.

S- Typical ale smell, with hints of caramel, also a little fruity.

T- Exceptional taste, nice and smooth, hints of grain, and caramel

N- I really enjoy this beer. Just an all around great brown ale. I'd grab a Moose Drool insted of a Newcastle any day. Good beer to drink on a nice hot summer day.

10-06-2006 22:46:39 | More by malcolm723
Jimbo07

Hawaii

3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured into a big ol mug. The foam stayed there 4EVER. In the light a dark red besides the dark brown in normal lighting.

Smell was very good, a tiny bit fruity with that good old ale smell. Taste is very good. Don't know any fancy terms, so I'll keep it at that.

Awsome beer, the only problem I have is that I probably wouldn't want to drink a lot of it. But I would love to drink again.

10-06-2006 02:55:06 | More by Jimbo07
CU570M

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

I got this beer from my girlfriends mom. She had taken a trip and brought this beer back with her. I really enjoyed this beer. Only the second brown ale i have tryed. The first being New Castle. I have to say this beer had a better flavor. To me the flavors were more complex, in a good way though. I have to say i am new to the beer advocate scene and i hope more brown ales taste like this.

10-05-2006 13:16:13 | More by CU570M
badbeer

Iowa

2.28/5  rDev -38.5%

Poured more red than brown, but had a real nice head with good retention. Smell was nice and malty, smells of nuts and some dark fruit. Smell was appetizing, taste was rather weird. I kept getting a rather dry green bean taste. I don't think I've experienced that before, especially in a brown. Mouthfeel felt overcarbonated and light in body. Not very good, but I might have gotten a bad bottle. Started out promising, finished not so good.

10-05-2006 01:21:20 | More by badbeer
athensbeermaster

4.28/5  rDev +15.4%

I tried this beer in lake Tao,Nevada I bought in a grocery store
cold.I like the good carbonation,the nose had a nice herbal quality,
the mouth feel was heavy almost creamy. The warmer the beer got the more spices came thru like soft nutmeg, and a touch of brown sugar. Copared to Newcastle this beer was way more three dimensional.The more the glass became empty the more the pleasant bitternes came thru to balance the sweetnest. The roasted
malt and the bitterness is what made me want more than just one moosedrool.

10-03-2006 23:30:54 | More by athensbeermaster
IntriqKen

3.6/5  rDev -3%

Poured a dark brown amber with a nice half finger tan head that melts to a very nice sticky lacing.
Aroma is mostly sweet and toasted malts.
Taste is toasted malt with a hint of bitter sweet chocolate that is quickly followed with a pleasant contrasting bitterness....a combination of hops and the burnt malt.
Aftertaste is toasted malt bitterness and drying.
I like the combination of flavors in this brew....a surprising brown.

10-01-2006 20:47:38 | More by IntriqKen
DogFood11

3.2/5  rDev -13.7%

The last of the line from big sky that I can get readily in my area. Moose drool poured into a pounder glass froms a whispy, khaki head that retains throughout the gobblage. On the darker side of the brown ale's i'm used to. Nice appearance

Smell of toasted malts. Translates well to the taste. Rather bitter, i'm guessing more from the charred malts than anything the hop profile brings to the program. Bakers chocolate on the backside is a big factor. The charred bitter tones are a bit rough.

Notes: Compared to other browns I've had this is much more in your face with the toasted grains. Interesting enough to find my fridge again, but nothing to hunt down.

09-30-2006 18:23:22 | More by DogFood11
joe1510

3.53/5  rDev -4.9%

12oz. Bottle

Moose Drool poured a very dark brown with ruby highlights wen held to the light. An inch and a half tan head with medium size bubbles. As they burst the head bacame very creamy. Shrunk down to just a top coat.

The smell is a little weak. It seems like a slight sourness and toffee. Not bad just weak.

Tastes pretty good. I can taste just a little sourness as well followed by some chocolate then a metallic flavor. Theres a little spiciness but I cant tell what it's coming from.

Mouthfeel is a little thin. Somewhat watery. Not to bad but it's there.

Drinkability is good. Moose Drool is a beer you can sit around and drink a few.

Overall this is a pretty good beer from big sky brewing. I wouldn't buy it often but I would enjoy it occasionally.

Slainte!

09-29-2006 20:00:12 | More by joe1510
KingNoonan

Wisconsin

The beer poured a deep, dark mahogany color, just a little too light to be classified as black. I could tell that the beer had a nice body by the way it poured; it came out of the bottle in a nice thick stream. The head of the beer came up to be about a half an inch thick, keeping its form for about a minute. It had a luscious tan color and a rich consistency. After a minute of keeping its form, the head eventually dissipated to a thin film in the glass. The beer smelled of strong bittering hops, toasted caramel malts, two-row barley malts, molasses, and brown sugar. Overall, it was an inviting smell, a little bitter at first, but once the nose acclimates, it has a wonderful smell. The smell, at first, made me a little uneasy about the beer, but once I tasted it, my problems were resolved. The smell had a bit of an off aroma to it; perhaps it was the bittering hops. The taste did not reflect the initial smells; in fact the beer tasted almost sweet. The toasted malts came out nicely, as did the molasses and brown sugar. The hops played a nice role initially in balancing out the brew so it did not become overwhelmingly sweet on the tongue. The aftertaste is particularly pleasant; it is very reminiscent of sweet dark bread. This taste holds true for about two thirds of the glass, when the brew turns a little hoppier. At this point, the beer becomes a little bitterer, and different malt flavors come to the forefront on the tongue, namely caramel malts. The mouth feel remains the same, staying thick but smooth, almost chewy. At the end of the glass, some of the flavors from the beginning come back, leaving the finish smooth and sweet.

09-14-2006 01:02:38 | More by KingNoonan
loren01

Oregon

2.63/5  rDev -29.1%

A: Had this at the taproom in Missoula. Beer is a translucent brown color, good sized white head, good lacing.
S: Doesn't smell like much really, maybe some vanilla sweet scents in there
T: Slightly nutty with the same vanilla sweetness that I smelled
M: Smooth, goes down fairly easily
D: I've had this many times before and I remember it being better than this. This is the most popular beer probably in all of Montana, but probably my least favorite from Big Sky. Proof that having a catchy name sells beer.

09-05-2006 22:44:15 | More by loren01
Erdinger2003

Iowa

1.98/5  rDev -46.6%

Looks nice with good head retention and a pretty good lacing. Color isn't so much brown, but it is dark. Sweet and raosty smell made me think this would be a good brown ale, but not so. Taste is green beans(?), roastiness and slight chocolate malts. It's off-putting. Mouthfeel is bad, just not very good. Overall this scared me and I wouldn't have another.

09-05-2006 04:39:47 | More by Erdinger2003
laintringulis

3.65/5  rDev -1.6%

Served in a pub glass. Pours a garnet-brown with a one finger frothy beige head that thins to a filmy ring quickly. Moderation amounts of carbonation.

Smells of roasted malts, coffee, nuts, and a powdered dark chocolate. I also smell a rootbeer like sweetness.

Tastes malty sweet initially with a nice nutty flavor that progresses into a light coffee taste and finishes with a slight bitterness. The coffee element may finish a little overroasted, but it is not unpleasant.

Medium bodied beer. Mouthfeel is slightly thinner than I prefer, but very nice overall. Clean mouthfeel. Well balanced. Very easy to drink. Highly sessionable. Not very complex in flavors, but a nice tasty brew.

08-28-2006 22:29:07 | More by laintringulis
therica

Maryland

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured a nice dark chocolate-red, nice big foamy light-brown head that stayed and laced in islands, long afterwards.

Nose was a bit tinny hops. Reminds me a bit of being in a canvas tent.

Taste a nice molasses-malt with mild hops and some hints of licorice or more likely anise.

Aftertaste is pleasant although not my preferred, overall. Still a very drinkable beer for a few with a good beefy or beany meal. Coincidence that we're watching Brokeback Mountain, I should have cooked something other than sausage to eat with this good Montana beer, however.

08-26-2006 02:51:49 | More by therica
eballard

3.9/5  rDev +5.1%

The beer pours a deep brown color with hints of red and a light lacing. It has a toasted malt smell. The taste starts with a toasted grainy malt flavor with hints of chocolate and finishes with a crisp nutty bite. The beer is clean and refreshing. It has a nice bite and a fresh after taste. In all the beer is smooth and well blended, very drinkable.

08-25-2006 08:34:59 | More by eballard
watermelonman

3.95/5  rDev +6.5%

This poured to a very dark shade of brown with a small head that quickly shrank down to a ring. There's a fair amount of lace, though.

The smell is strong and pleasing. Nuts, toffee, and chocolate add to a nice deep malt base. The taste is smooth, with mostly malts up front. Nuts and chocolate take over through the finish. The mouthfeel is somewhat light but still solid.

08-21-2006 15:58:26 | More by watermelonman
SwillinBrew

3.65/5  rDev -1.6%

Thought i'd finally give this one a try when lflesh gave me a bottle.

I put some classical music on, sat on the couch and poured into my pint glass. A deep ice-t brown with a solid half inch of oatmeal colored head filled my glass. Pleasant scents of roasted malts and nuts waffed up to my nose. The taste was of a faintly bitter, somewhat nutty roasted malts all in harmony complimenting each other. A good all around flavor. Nicely carbonated, smooth with a medium mouthfeel. Quite easy to drink. this was a pleasnt surprise.

08-15-2006 23:38:44 | More by SwillinBrew
Gehoffrey426

Tennessee

3.38/5  rDev -8.9%

Moose Drool Brown Ale is a very good bridge between a brown ale and a stout. Its appearance is that of a dark brown, like that of fine antique furnature. The beer has the bitterness in the after taste that is familiar with a stout, however it has the more complex presentation of flavours that comes from a brown ale. Think of it as a black and tan, but as one beer. The bitterness in the after taste is delightful at first, but as I got closer to the bottom the glass, it became more and more prevelant and almost undesireable to drink. Unfortunately I was not able to sample this beer on draught, only in bottled form.

08-15-2006 21:32:28 | More by Gehoffrey426
nlmartin

3.6/5  rDev -3%

The beer was served in a Imperial Pint glass. This beer was from loren01. The beers survived the cross country trip.

Appearance: The beer is a deep mahagony coloration. The head was about one finger high and resolved to a ring of foam.

Smell: The beer has a very pleasing toasted malty smell. A choco-nutty combo greats my nose.

Taste: The beer has a primarily toasted malty flavor. The beer has a nice choco-nutty flavor.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is medium bodied. The beer doesnt really go to any extremes in smell or flavor. This is the kind of beer you could drink all day long.

08-04-2006 12:34:29 | More by nlmartin
kimcgolf

3.13/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a dark brown color with hints of red, thick tan head and good lacing. Aroma was very much a nutty malt. Chocolate and caramel malts dominated the flavor. Had an okay finihhs, but nothing spectacular. I had a friend from Montana highly recommend this, and while it is not my favorite beer or style, it wasn't bad for a Brown Ale.

07-29-2006 19:52:56 | More by kimcgolf
Chaz

3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a deep, dark mahogany, with a frothy tan head which settles quickly and leaves minimal lacing. Fruity on the nose, cherries and plums, a bit of pineapple and plenty of friendship cake. Carbonation reminds me of fizzy soda. Tangy, a bit tart, but ultimately rather sweet and maybe a bit uninteristeng to me. I've had this beer numerous times on draught and in bottles, but I'm tasting something new this time. Bitterness is very well restrained, but more prominent than I remember, which is a good thing, as this beer has always struck me as sweet and one-dimensional in the past. Mouthfeel is light but smooth, and works well with the tanginess. For whatever reason (is this an old bottle?) this beer seems to have come into its own, either the recipe and brewing process has been stableized and become more consistent or I'm just in the mood for a tasty British style brown ale this morning, but this is really working for me. Not my favorite in the style (I certainly have other favorite brown ales on either side of the style spectrum) and I know it ain't right to hold a grudge forever (Moose Drool had a Fat Tire-like word of mouth a number of years back, causing me some consternation at retail), so I'll have to give Moose Drool credit where credit is due: it's a solid, tasty brew.

07-27-2006 17:19:27 | More by Chaz