Moose Drool Brown Ale - Big Sky Brewing Company

Big Sky Brewing Company visit their website
Montana, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-16-2001

It's chocolate brown in color with a creamy texture. A malty beer with just enough hop presence to keep it from being too sweet. The aroma mostly comes from the malt with a hint of spice added by the hops. Moose Drool is brewed with pale, caramel, chocolate, and whole black malts; and Kent Goldings, Liberty, and Willamette hops.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moose Drool Brown Ale Alström Bros
4.26/5  rDev +15.1%

One of my favorite brown ales, and sampled often when I lived back in W. Montana. Good body, excellent taste, excellent smell. Fits well with my philosophy that if you can see through it, it ain't beer. Nice, slightly smokey flavor, but not an annoying aftertaste. Regarding the smokey flavor, my true Montana story: Playing cards at a friend's house, whose inlaw's were Staunch Baptists (a preacher) and death on alcohol in any form. To avoid offending them, we slipped Drool into Coke cans so we could surrupticiously imbibe. (By the way, my friend was known to chew upon occasion.) While our attention was focused away, his dad picked up the coke can and took a drink. (We both saw, but had no opportunity to intervene.) His expression was priceless... he recovered and realized what he was drinking before spewing it out... but we almost died trying to suppress our laughter...

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a dark brown color (surprise!), with a two finger off white head which does not last very long. Leaves some lacing on the glass. Smells of coffee and dark bitter chocolate, which also describes the taste. The smell is not very strong, but the flavor comes through nicely.

This is light bodied, dry, with some sweetness to it. The carbonation is just right. This would make a nice session beer.

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours ... wait for it .... wait for it .... no whammies .... BROWN! Faintly translucent. Small white foam head, long lasting white foam crust.

Smells like chocolate and faintly of ... earthy hops? Interesting. Not a style I like, and this may be a new favorite!

Taste pretty much matches the smell (funny how that is usually the case). The earthy hops are a bit more overpowering in the flavor, but there's still some balancing sweet coffee. Not much roasted malt to it ... just the faintest acrid twinge.

Bit watery, but decent mouthfeel.

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

A: Poured with a small, light-brown head, and a clear, dark-brown body. What little head there was dissipated to a thin lace.

S: Smells of average malt, with some light roasting.

T: Flavor starts of moderately sweet; again, you can taste the roasted coffee flavors. Finishes sweet, with a short duration. Quite nice.

M: Light to medium-bodied with a creamy texture, and average carbonation.

D: A very nice Brown ale. One of the better, if not the best, Big Sky beers I've tried. Easy to put back a few of these in an evening, as the roasted flavor is pleasant but not sickening.

3.6/5  rDev -2.7%

Appearance - Fairly dark brown, almost a cola color. Appears pretty clear. Medium, persistent tan head.

Smell - Only moderately strong. Caramel maltiness dominates. A bit raisiny.

Taste - Pleasant sweet toasty /chocolaty malts are the primary flavor. Finishes with a burnt flavor though and has a somewhat unpleasant aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Creamy and smooth.

Drinkability - For the most part, an excellent beer. And sometimes one of the few good beers available if you're stuck in unenlightened portions of the West.

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

got this in trade from beerdavis (thanks, Jason).
Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Dark mahogany brown that didn't let any light through. Almost dark like a stout. Developed a short tan head that didn't last very long. No lacing to speak of.

S: Loads of malt and toasted nuts. Semi-sweet.

T: Better than the aroma would suggest. Not overly complicated, but very good. Nutty and toasty with a nice clean finish. Lots of malt, with just a little bit of hops.

M: Smooth and clean. Medium bodied.

D: Very easy to drink. Like 12 oz. of caramel colored goodness.

3.12/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, Moose Drool is a deep amber, almost brown color with a tan-brown head which moves as a solid mass in the glass. The nose is primarily malt forward; caramel and mild chocolate notes come to the forefront, a touch of smokiness and a faint whiff of hops. The flavor is also malty but the burnt, acrid taste comes through a little more strongly. A bit of caramel and burnt toast, hops to balance. The mouthfeel is on the watery side and the carbonation is subdued but slightly creamy. Overall, a drinkable beer, decent brown ale - probably better than actual moose drool (I hope) but nothing outstanding. .

2.8/5  rDev -24.3%

A- Dark walnut brown. Head is foamy and reminds me of the head of a root beer float.

S- Malt smells, nutty with a hint of caramel.

T- There is a slight peppery spice to this beer. Malty in taste, but nothing really pops out.

M- Thin with not much substance.

D- Easy to drink. Would be a decent session, and a great replacement for Deschutes discontinued Buzz Saw Brown.

Basically this wasn't good in the bottle and still isn't good in the can.

4.1/5  rDev +10.8%

Had this on tap last night, a pints worth.

Pours a rich middle of the road brown. I suppose it is a brown ale, so a good start there. The head is a light tan, dropping quickly but provides nice lacing.

The smell is of coffee-ish smokiness. Delicious. Chocolate malt bounces around the nose too.

The beer tastes like rich smoky chocolate and toffee. The smokiness isn't overdone, more of an aftertaste, and I love it.
Moosedrool is a medium-plus bodied brown ale, and has a wonderful heft to it in the mouth.

Moose Drool lends itself to be very drinkable -- a delicious, yet not-too-heavy brown ale that provides a wealth of flavor at a reasonable ABV.

3.27/5  rDev -11.6%

A - A very dark mahagony color with a little cream colored head that has almost no retention.

S - A strong barley and caramel smell with a slight hoppy note.

T - A little less bold than I expected seeing as the smell was so strong. A little watery as well but simular to the smell.

M - Slightly watery and bubbly but goes down smooth.

D - Quite drinkable yet I always get swayed into buying something that stands out more.

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

had 8.10.09
This beer pours a deep mahogany color with a two finger of tan bubbly head that leaves wispy lacing. Nose is of grains and toasted malts, slight toffee and caramel. Taste is of grains and malts up front, middle is filled out with a nice deep caramel and chocolate base and a bit of a smokiness to the taste faint but there. Medium body, medium carbonation, feels somewhat thin but crisp. This is easily a nice sessionable ale!

2.98/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured from can into 10oz glass. Poured a nice, clear, clean brown with just over a half-inch deep-khaki colored head, which decent retention and minimal lacing.

The sweet malt aroma was a little subdued for the style. The flavor profile was typical, featuring a slightly sweet nuttiness that led to a clean finish.

The smooth body was also typical for the style, as was the drinkability. These go down smoothly and easily. It's been a few years since I've had a Moose Drool, it tends to get lost in the crowd of great beers in the PNW, and I'm very glad that I've revisited it. Worth trying and a solid go-to brew.

4.38/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at the Yellowstone Mine Restaurant in Gardiner Montana.

A-dark brown, Mohagony body, off white head

S-sweet, oatmeal, cereal

T-sweet malt, some milk chocolate, some roast

M-medium to somewhat thick, smooth

D-this is just a great brown ale. I could have this over and over again, full of flavor.

3.71/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

More trips through the memory field. First, my FerMentor said that it was the one American beer that he was most desirous of trying. Then, my buddy's brother and his family came in from MT to PGH and brought me a sixer! Yoi! Further, one of the Stoudt's daughters lives aht there and is constantly after me to visit. How could I go wrong? It was in a CAN!

From the CAN: "We make water fun." My take: Save water, drink beer.; Save water, shower with a friend. REALLY save water and drink beer while showering with a friend! Plus, you might also be able to double down and save a tree by eating a beaver. It pays to be green!

My pour reminded me instantly of Jimmy Petty and his preference for Newcastle Brown. He drank that like I drank Rolling Rock in the mid-1990's - water. I got a full, finger's worth of deep brown head with good retention. Nose was very sweet, like some flavor of pop. I know this, it is in my inventory of flavors, but it eludes me. Color was a deep, dark brown with ruby highlights and NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was slightly thin with a very tasty caramel taste on the tongue. The finish was semi-sweet, slightly dry, very nice for the style.

Beach/Shore: Oh, yeah! I would be the envy of all around me, opening a Montana beer at the Jersey shore. Bump Ten Fidy yet again.

3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

Not great but really not bad. Had this in las vegas and knew nothing about it. I knew the brewery but not the beer. I don't like brown ales a lot but this one is good. Good carbonation, not too much malt, alcohol or thickness.. One to try if you're compelled to have a brown ale.

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

A- Pours a mahogany color into a pint glass with a two finger head. Head stays around. Not too much lacing. Almost clear.

S- Lacks a bit here. Its a bit of Caramel sweet malt.

T- Tastes good. It has quite a bit of caramel malt to is. Sweet bread. A touch or hops up front finished with a darker malt finish.

M- Medium bodied, just enough carbonation.

O- Overall is pretty good.

4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint
This is a tasty mild brown. Not real complex but a very enjoyable brown. I liked it a lot.
Look is, well brown. Tannish one finger head that reduced fairly quickly to a ring.
Smell is malty with a little sweetness.
Taste toasted nutty malts, some mild sweetness, and a good balance of mild bitterness. Pretty good flavor not complex, but I'd say it leans towards the stronger side for a brown.
Feel good carbonation almost a little thick.
Drink a very drinkable beer that I wanted more of. A very good beer to have 3, 4 or even more of

2.76/5  rDev -25.4%

An OK brown that just doesn't live up to they hype as far as I am concerned.

A light driving brown malt sweetness that lingers a while but never really gets to that full richness without being heavy that I like in brown ales.

It just doesn't have the complexity I hoped to see.

3.6/5  rDev -2.7%

A - Deep brown, ruby with a thin tan head

S - Grainy with toffee, caramel and toasted biscuit. Slightly nutty and maybe even a hint of chocolate.

T - Slightly nutty with toffee. Very bland compared to aroma.

M - Light and slightly watery.

D - I always used to buy this beer shortly after I got into craft beer and nothing better was available. I always enjoyed it but now having it years later and many tasty brown ales later it is not as good as I remember but still a solid brown.

3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

a nice mild smoky brown ale. of a deep deep amber with a poor head and not much lace but a good density none the less. nose of malt and apples pie and palate of that but with a nice smoke to it very mild. mild sweet bitter finish.. but not much of a track of fruit other than the apple. pretty damn good either way though.

3.95/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance was about what I expected, dark brown but translucent. White bubbly head.

Smell and taste coincided, both giving off a rich malty tone that was really pleasant.

Mouthfeel was good and this is light enough that you can definitely drink more than one and be comfortable.

I've had this one from bottles and cans and I must say this is one I definitley notice a difference in. Maybe the bottles I continue to get are somewhat old, but I think the cans just have a much more in your face, full flavor. Regardless, this is a great beer for just drinking.

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

Been drinking this for a while, but just never bothered to take any notes. This review is of one of the new canned MD's.
Pours a deep chestnut brown color. This one was chilled (but not cold), so it had a pretty large head that formed with a careful pour.
Smells nutty and malty with hints of milk chocolate.
The flavor starts off sweet and chocolate-based. In the middle you get some of the rich flavors like molasses, hazelnut, and maple. The finish has a hop presence that's surprisingly welcome, but not tacked-on or overbearing.
Mouthfeel of this is pretty thick. It keeps it from being an absolute summer quencher, but the extra body is probably welcome in cooler temperatures.
Goes down easy, isn't strong, and tastes good. A nice all-purpose brown. It's arguably the quintessential American brown ale. It's a style the probably doesn't get the respect it deserves, but one I really enjoy.
If you like this one, the one from Santa Fe is also recommended, and probably available in many of the same regions.

EDIT: Like others have mentioned, I am tasting a little difference between the bottle and canned offerings. The canned one has a little bit more of a yeasty flavor to it that I've also gotten in the Ska canned ESB. It's not better or worse, just slightly different. It could just be a slightly different process needed to can something. In general, I prefer this on tap, then bottles, then cans...however the cans are oh so convenient.

3.28/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Dark brown almost like a cola. Red shows through in direct light. Very little head but good carbonation.

Smells sweet like toffe and chocolate. Kind of nutty and smoky as well. A hint of maple. A bit of hop aroma is sensed but very little.

I can actually taste the hops, I expected overpowering malt sweetness. Not bad. A bit dry but very easy drinking. Nice subtle nuttiness almost a bit salty. Hop bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel is a bit thick slightly chewy but again easy to drink IMO.
Could have been better balanced in my opinion I think I would rather drink a newcastle over moose drool. My first Big Sky offering thanks to Tedpeer! Hopefully I can try some other Big Sky beers in the future.

3.03/5  rDev -18.1%

Had this one a while back but took notes. Poured a burgundy/brown color with light tan head that faded quickly and left very little lacing. Smelled of malts, raisins, and toffee. Tasted of big malts and fruit. Felt smooth and well carbed, but just took a lot for me to finish it.

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Wiseman Justin Reporting:

Appearance ~ It's okay, foamy one finger head. Far from opaque with bubbles that cling to the bottom of the glass. Dark brown. It's okay! Head dissipates with little to no lacing.

Smell ~ Cashews, pistachios, mixed nuts. Usually I'm listing fruits I smell but this has a nice nutty aroma. I get some coffee and mocha action as well but this might be me mistaking nuts for coffee again. (At least I'm not describing it as bacon)

Taste ~ A delicious nutty and chewy taste with almost porter like qualities. Coffee, nuts, chocolate, milk. It is really good.

Mouthfeel ~ Initially it feels high in carbonation but it quickly melllows out until it has an almost milk shake like feel.

Drinkability ~ High, this is an almost elite brown ale. Good for the price and quality.

Moose Drool Brown Ale from Big Sky Brewing Company