Moose Drool Brown Ale - Big Sky Brewing Company

good

Big Sky Brewing Company visit their website
Montana, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.10% ABV

It's chocolate brown in color with a creamy texture. A malty beer with just enough hop presence to keep it from being too sweet. The aroma mostly comes from the malt with a hint of spice added by the hops. Moose Drool is brewed with pale, caramel, chocolate, and whole black malts; and Kent Goldings, Liberty, and Willamette hops.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-16-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Moose Drool Brown Ale Alström Bros
3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance has a dark brown amber with a thin head. Smell is of roasted malts, coffee with a smokiness to it. Taste seems slightly watered down having a light smoke flavor thats nutty with the coffee and roasted malts. Mouthfeel is medium going down slick with good carbonation.

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

A very nice Brown. It's definitely a 'fallback' beer - meaning that if you can't find much to like at the liquor/beer store, Moose Drool will definitely do the job.

It's darker than most Brown's I've seen..and I like that. It's also very malty, which I also really like. I guess it COULD use a little more hoppy 'bite', but then again, that might ruin the balance all together.

I really like Big Sky. Their beers seem to have a little more character than the typical American Microbrew.

This was the easiest review I've ever done. It was "Good".
Above average, hardly exceptional. A solid beer; I'd never turn one down unless there were Belgians or Bitters to tempt me away. But if I wanted a brown ale, you couldn't do a whole lot better.

It was a touch watery but I find many browns to be this way. It had a nice grainy taste to the malt; slightly sweet with a more bitter finish.
Color was nice and carbonation was spot on. No head retention from my bottle.
Worth a try, for sure.

(EDIT: kgotcher's review, which I read AFTER I reviewed this beer, seems to echo my thoughts exactly. Nice review kgotcher!)

4.6/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

After reading a great review of this beer in another beer magazine, I had to try it. But since I live nowhere near Montana, I had it shipped to me online...which wasn't cheap. Luckily I was happy with what I received in the mail. I am a brown ale fanatic, and this ranks up there with some of the best brown ales I have had.

A - Very nice amber brown color. Nice thin head.

S - Sweet, malty, brown sugar, and a bit of spice.

T - Very nice malt flavor and sweetness that goes with that, a little bit of hoppiness on the tail end. The taste is very fresh, and doesn't linger too long.

M - Very light mouthfeel. A little heavy on the carbonation, but still nice and refreshing.

D - I could drink this beer all evening long, with it's relatively low ABV of 5.1%, and perfect mix of sweetness and slight hoppiness. Great brown ale for the summertime. Not too filling at all. Great brew all around. It was definitely worth the shipping cost.

Well what can I say, a GOOD brown ale.

Pours a nice tan head with a bit of lacings.

Aroma of malt and roasted grain.

Nice carbonated mouthfeel with great body

Goes down smooth with a bit of bitterness at the end. A great beer with depth of favor,

I have found Big Sky beers to be on the Malty side which I really like. This is no dissapointment although there is a nice hop bite at the end.

3.6/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz brown bottle

Moose Drool Brown Ale was deep mahogany in color with good clarity. It had a tan head with decent retention and left some lacing behind. The aroma was sweet toasty malt. The taste was roasted malt with some cocoa and some bitterness towards the dry finish. It was medium bodied with good carbonation. Drinkability was good. This is a decent brown ale.

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

a nice dark brown appearance with some amber highlights that makes the beer appear likes its shining. a decent head with a little retention and some lacing.

a sweet sugary smell followed with a whiff of alcohol

the taste is relatively the same as the smell very sweet taste
this beer is a little bit over carbonated and not as smooth or creamy as i remember or of others out of the bottle that i've had before, also get nothing out of the hops. the over carbonation really gets in the way of the rest of the beer.

overall its a good beer that is relatively easy to drink.

3.15/5  rDev -14.9%

To be honest, I have always just assumed this beer gained it's fame on name alone. Best to try it and find out though...

A - Nice two and a half fingers of tan head appearing in the pint glass. Basic brown ale body.

S - Not bad actually. Roasty, with cream and chocolate present. Pine is a bit stronger than I would like, and kinda hides some of the richness, and I did pick up metalic aromas. Still, smells pretty rich and overall, quite balenced.

T - Again, this beer hits the right flavor qualities, roasty with cream and chocolate all around the entry and swallow. Definate strawberry sweetness present that seems to play well with the dominate flavors. The hops are piney and pleasently present, mixing with the lingering roasted malt flavors well and creating a pleasent, long finish. The flavors were not quite what I would call rich, however, and I still picked up metal flavors.

M - Weak compaired to most brown ales. Mouthfeel seemed watery.

D - Overall I found this beer to be better than expected. Not life changing, not even a great example of the style, but not offensive, and a solid intro to craft beer for many of those macro drinkers looking for something more.

This was brought to me as a gift from the brewery, and it was greatly appreciated.
Poured a nice clear and clean brown with ruby hints and almost no discernible head.
The aroma was of brown sugar and spice, with mild yeast and hop presence.
Thee taste was dominated by brown sugar, cinnamon and chocolate malt.
The feel was slightly biting and fizzy up front, with an immediate fade into a smooth a sweet tongue-coating goodness; very good.
Overall a very good beer and one of the better browns I've had recently.

On tap at the Blue Moose, Scottsdale, AZ.

Deep brown with some ruby edges, nice tan head that actually sticks around for a while and leaves memorable lacing. Aroma is big and roasty with some nut and coffee notes even. Taste is of dark roasted malts, dark chocolate, nutty, with some minor hop bite in the end. Does not linger and really is refreshing.

Medium body, smooth creamy feel. I like this brown's drinkability for sure. I had a second and would have had another had my group not decided to move on.

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

A- dark dark brown body with a small beige head that clings to the sides of the glass

S- nutty and sweet with toffee and chocolate in there too. nothing in the way of hops

T- very nutty. almost exactly how it smells, with a small hoppy finish. better than i was expecting.

M- light, very smooth and fizzy.

D- very sessionable and enjoyable. i could go for more than one of these anytime. a really good beer that i wasnt expecting much out of. check this one out if you get the chance.

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a dark reddish/brown with a bubbly & sticky 2 finger head.

Aromas of sweet malt, some caramel, some cocoa, kinda nutty, & a faint hoppiness.

Slight roastiness, medium hop bite, caramel sweetness, slight chocolate flavors, nice tasting brown ale. Very user friendly.

Smooth, creamy, medium bodied.

Easy drinking brown ale. Satisfying brew.

Would gladly have again. I personally prefer a little more hop bite. But this is a fine example of the style.

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pour is medium brown - chestnut color. Minimal head - suprising white.

Nutty sweet nose. Entry is sweet chocolate malts. A hazelnut note, mouthfeel starts soft - almost watery - then improves as the hops lay out over the tongue. Nice balance on the finish. I like the finish of this beer better anything else.

I'm not a big brown ale fan, and I guess this one tells me why - just not alot here to float my boat.

Pours a deep clear ruby red with small, off-white head that drops quickly to a ring.
Smell is hops (resin & juniper) and slight malt note.
Taste is malt, hops, slight vanilla and smoke notes in aftertaste.
Medium body, medium effervescence, slightly crisp and tingly. A decent beer but a little hoppy for a brown ale.

3.05/5  rDev -17.6%

drank on tap from Yards in Las Vegas on 4/9/08

pours a clear reddish brown. good lacing.

there is a nice smell of roasted malts - strong and malty.

the taste is a bit malty and alcoholic, crisp and sharp at the start, but the flavor goes away pretty quickly. after the beer warms it is a different beer, the malty smell is even greater.

not a bad beer overall - glad i tried it - won't go out of my way for it again.

3.7/5  rDev 0%

On tap @ Binny's South Loop

Appearance: Nice deep amber with decent carbing, though the head was average and the lacing was as well.

Smell: Average.

Taste: Decent nut brown, smooth drinkable, to style, not as rich as the flagship sammy smith.

Mouthfeel: Average.

Drinkability: A very drinkable brew, good session beer, should the mood stir me. Hyped by one store beer geek, given an Seinfeld so-so shrug by another. I'm leaning toward the second... forgettable.

3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

First of all, I will admit that I do not have much experience with this style. It is nothing like Newcastle.

Appearance- Darker brown with minimal head

Smell- Sweet with hints of chocolate

Taste- lThis is a good beer. Hints of chocolate and a touch of bitterness. This seems more like a light porter than a brown ale however.

Mouthfeel- Medium

Drinkability- This could make a decent session beer. It goes great with most meats and food in general.

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

This six pack was purchased from the home of Big Sky Brewing and brought to me in California.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Not much head but what there is is thick and wet with no lacing. It thinned out and covers most of the top of the beer. Very dark brown with only a little light getting through. Holding it up to the light, I see a dark brown/maroon color.

The smell is mellow. Just a faint scent of figs and dust.

As it hits my mouth, there are lots of very fine bubbles and tastes a bit bitter. It mellows quickly into a more typical brown ale flavor. Some mild malt and hops with nutmeg and a sweet woody flavor that I can't put my finger on.

I enjoy this beer and love having it on-hand. My preference is to have it on its own or with a snack food.

3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a cola brown with ruby/amber highlights. Good two finger head two start that recedes to a tan filmy foam. The aroma is a mediumd roasted malts giving off notes light chocolate and pumpernickel bread. The taste starts with a dark toasted malt, then to a light roasted chocolate malt. The finish feels a bit chunky with a chocolate brownie bitter finish. Pretty nice English session beer from Montana. Love the name too.

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

Brown glass bottle (label slightly different than pictured, but the drooling moose is the same!). Thanks for bringing this one for another taste, Jeff.
Deep mahogany color, with reddish higlights when held to the light. Light tan head slowly shrinks but never disappears and leaves some thin lace on my Moose Drool glass. Smells of malt and some toffee or caramel. Flavor is mot quite as strong as the aroma, slightly toasty and caramel malt. There is a bit of yeast finish. Some floral hops. Dry finish, medium body, not alot of carbonation. If it was available locally, would be very drinkable.

3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance- Dark brown and frothy.

Smell- Sweet and malty. Aromas of coffee berries and wood.

Taste- It is pretty good. There is something in the aftertaste I found a little bit unpleasant but for the most part it is a good beer. Toffee/caramel and wood flavor fill the beer.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied

Drinkability- I like this beer with food.

3.48/5  rDev -5.9%

I love the name and it really kind of tells you what its all about. My thought on real moose drool is that its thick and heavy. This is much like the beer. It's fairly good but a little to heavy for my pallet. My wife and I 1st tried this in a great place, which slips my mind, in fiddletown, CA. More of a novelty beer for me.

4.4/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap in Grand Forks, ND at a bar/grill & totally fell in love with it. Now, I'm happy to find 6packs of it locally. One of the best brown ales out there for sure.

Smooth dry, nutty taste. Got some creaminess that makes it really enjoyable to just let it sit in your mouth for an extra couple seconds before you swallow it. Pretty dark for a brown ale. Lacks the caramel sweetness of your typical brown ale - almost a crossover porter. Very satisfying, yet so good you'll want more than one. Highly recommend this one.

a: This was a dark, coppery, ruby red. It poured with a medium sized foamy light tan head. Good retention and some sticky lace.

s: Cherry, coffee, vanilla, and lots of roasty malts. Big nose for a small brew.

t: The taste mirrors the smell, all of the above are nicely in balance. In addition there is a surprisingly strong little hop bite at the end.

m: Medium body and gentle foamy carbonation.

d: I was on vacation at Glacier National Park 5 years ago when I was first getting into craft beer. I had several of these at the lodge during my visit and I loved it. After all these years, I still think this is pretty damn tasty. Thanks to JohnGalt1 for the trip down memory lane.

4.18/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours up a clear dark brown with ruby highlights, and a thick tan head.

S - Aroma of chocolate, hint of roasted grain, and malt.

T - Starts off with a slightly sweet taste, finishes chocolaty on the back of the tongue. A little subdued, but good.

M - Feels a little thin with little carbonation.

D - Very easy drinking beer.

Moose Drool Brown Ale from Big Sky Brewing Company